Covered In Blood And Surrounded By Spirits (Hellsing CK2 Organization Quest)

Battle of London 7
[X] Yanagawa

Your swordsman nods somberly at you when you give your approval, and leaps out of the sunroof to land on the hood of the car. Whipping his sword from his sheath, he climbs down from the car to stand on the street facing the Bodhisattva. Seeing that a challenger had come forward, the floating statue floats to the side of the road, leaving the path completely clear. Yanagawa did the same, keeping his sword up in a ready stance to defend himself.

Slowly, Walter starts to drive forward as everyone in the car keeps their eyes on the silent Bodhisattva. When he passes it without incident, Walter guns the engine to speed towards the hellscape that London has become. You and Miyako stare out the back, at the ever dwindling forms of Yanagawa and his inhuman opponent. When he disappears from your view, both of you slide back into your seats and let the ride continue in silence.

"Akuma is going to be so pissed about this." You look at Miyako in confusion, who sighs and runs her fingers through her hair. She's clearly irritated at leaving Yanagawa behind, but covers it with a sharp toothed grin. "This is so fucking shonen, and she's the only one not around to see it." You laugh at that, remembering your "older" daughter's anime infatuation. Oh yes, she wouldn't have missed this for the world.

A Smoother Ride?: 42

A few blocks later, a cry rose up as Nazi vampires swung down from the rooftops, firing machine guns wildly at the speeding car. Luckily, they all bounced off of the back of the car or pinged off of the gravel. Their disgusting laughter echoed from behind you as Walter swerved the car to round a corner. Looking behind you, you could see at least ten vampires sprinting full bore at the back of the car, and rapidly gaining on you.

Fuck Off: 80+10(Walter)-10(Outnumbered)-10(Fast Moving Targets)+15(Miyako)+15(Magic Sun Arm)+5(Integra)=105
Critical Roll:56+5=61

But your contingent was just as fast to respond, and you hit far harder. Walter leaned out of his car window to send his wires stretching out, where they somehow sliced through the historic looking columns of a bank, sending tons of stone crumbling down in a landslide of rubble most of them get out of the way, but two are caught by surprise, and are crushed under the falling rocks. You appear to be especially lucky when they don't get back up. Miyako takes a much more aggressive approach, kicking her door off of the hinges and leaning out of the side of the car to unload headshots into the crowd of vampires. Four more vampires fall dead to the ground, and the remainder quickly disperse into nearby alleys. Walter meanwhile, uses his strings to grab the still flying car door and sends it flying back to the car, where Miyako grabs it as if catching a Frisbee and looks confusedly at Walter.

"If you would be so kind, Miss Renko, could you please put the door back? It is rather loud to have the wind rushing in as it is!" Walter shouts to be heard over the winds whipping by the speeding car, and Miyako blushed a little in embarrassment before using her brute strength to get the door to stay in place. A few areas still have wind whistling through, but for the most part it's quiet again.

"You can just call me Miyako, Walter." The old butler brightens at Miyako's words, nodding along.

"Of course, Miss- I mean, Miyako. Although, I must wonder, why did you choose to destroy the car door? That seems a bit excessive." Miyako just shrugs, becoming less embarrassed and more proud of her handiwork.

"Ah, you know, these things just happen. Besides, it looked much cooler than just opening the door." You made a chiding sound as you flicked her head.

"You watch too many action movies, Miyako. Don't destroy our host's property, it's just rude." Miyako made a grumbling noise, but didn't protest. There was silence for a few moments before a thoughtful hum came from Integra. You and Miyako turned to her, where she was looking over the still burning city skyline. Idly, you wonder if this was enough for Kagutsuchi to reclaim his power. With your luck, of course it wasn't.

"We're going to need a plan. At this rate, a large portion of the city is lost. The casualties are already catastrophic, of that I have no doubt. This is already one of the most disastrous attacks on London since the Blitzkreig. And of course it happens under my jurisdiction." You can hear the frustration that emanates from Integra, but you hold back Miyako when she looks like she's going to say something. Already, Integra's eyes were becoming hard and unyielding, her frustration giving way before unadulterated focus and hatred. If there was anything you would praise Integra for it would be her ability to compartmentalize.

"Well, we are going to need to get back in contact with our forces at the manor. If we're going to have a fighting chance, we'll likely have to bring everything we have to bear. Returning Alucard to the battlefield is an utmost priority, but we'll need to make do if that isn't an option." Integra nodded in response, readying her chin in her hand as she thought.

"Unfortunately, I can't envision any method of bringing Alucard back fast enough fit it to matter. I have complete faith in him, however, so I know he shall return as fast as possible. We will have to hold them back until that happens, keep them too occupied to continue massacring civilians as they are." You and Miyako frown almost simultaneously. You sense Miyako wants to say something, most likely uncouth, but a sharp look from you keeps her sullenly silent. Still, it is a bit concerning that even with all the forces you brought, Integra still acts as if she was fighting alone. Something to work on.

"With all due respect, Integra, that's not enough. The enemy is already past the gates, so if the goal is to protect the civilians, then there is no where to hole up and defend. The best option, the Hellsing Manor, is too far away to serve as a bulwark against their forces. Even if it was, they could just go around us like a river around a rock until they converge and crush us with their numbers." Integra listened stone-faced as you outlined the flaws in her plan. When you finished, she responded without a second of hesitation.

"I can see your points, but I would argue that this is the only way to properly fight them. We can put out a call for civilians to flee to the Manor on any remaining channels, and save as many as we can. But the primary goal is to kill Millennium, before they kill the entire city. I don't see any other method of forcing a direct confrontation when we can afford it." Integra delivered her pitch with considerable conviction, but you remained dubious. Her entire plan just served as a reminder of how Hellsing wasn't an organization built to defend, like yours is, but to eliminate. The very noticeable lack of any defined evacuation plans pointed to that.

"That's fair, but it's good to remember that we can accomplish things without Alucard. I suggest that we split our forces into groups, who we send into the city to harass Millennium forces to redirect them from evacuating civilians. Police forces are still spread throughout the city, so they can help direct civilians out of it. Millennium is here for us, so killing the civilians is just a happy side effect. There's no reason for them to chase the survivors out and risk giving us opportunity to make moves against them." Integra grunted a bit at that.

"That could work. But do you think your soldiers can outrun vampires? The hit and run strategy fails when the attacked can run faster than you. Not to mention how it will leave the Manor completely vulnerable to attack. It spreads us to far and makes us vulnerable. Concentrated manpower is the only advantage we have right now." You frown right back and retort.

"I plan on mixing in our stronger soldiers within the groups at an even distribution, so that way the vampires can be driven off when engaged. Yes, it poses some risk, but no plan is foolproof. Unlike your plan, mine has some reward at the end of it rather than a certainty of a fucked up situation."

"At least my plan doesn't include leaving our one secure location up to being conquered by any minimal force that decides to wander in. Or split up our outgunned and outnumbered force among a hellish battlefield."

"Why not just kill all of them?" You and Integra break out of your confrontation to stare directly at Miyako. She shifts a bit uncomfortably but pushes onwards. "I mean, I get it. If we stay still, we're strong but don't do anything. If we split up, we're weak but we achieve something. So why not all get into one big group and charge into the field?" A beat of silence preludes Integra and you responding.

"That's incredibly stupid."

"We would all die."

"W-wait a second! Aren't you guys being a bit hasty with that?" Miyako sputters in defense. Integra and you shake your heads almost in sync. Integra speaks up first.

"It would be like wading into the ocean and trying to beat the water into submission. They would have us surrounded immediately and would simply bear down on us with all their forces. Even Kōan 9-ka's mysticism wouldn't be enough, even more so if they choose to just drop bombs from the sky into our group. Besides, there's nothing to strike with a force like that. It would have no impact." Miyako's eyes snapped back up with excitement.

"Hold up. We definitely have a target. Look outside this window, and unless your grandma eyes are acting up, you can see exactly what we need to take out." Her wording was a bit awkward, but you followed the path of her triumphant finger to see the flagship blimp floating in the night sky with its two companions. You turn to Miyako, still radiating smug, and raise an eyebrow.

"If you're done gloating, daughter of mine, you may notice that that blimp is fucking flying. Do you happen to have some form of anti-aircraft at your disposal that I happen to be unaware of, now would be a great time to ask for forgiveness instead of permission." Miyako simply shook her head and waved away your concerns as Integra looked on. You weren't sure if she was bemused or pissed off, but you suppose either could be understandable.

"We don't need any of that stuff. We have Akuma and a license to property damage. We could just run her near them and have her start throwing debris at it! She'd be a sentient catapult, it'd be awesome." Integra turns a curious eye to you, but you're already shaking your head.

"We don't know if she can throw that far, and if she can't, then we'll be surrounded and killed. If it works, we'll still probably be surrounded and killed." Miyako chewed at her lip with her shark teeth, Integra giving a surprised look at the sudden inhuman features. Miyako looked up again, but more hesitant.

"So… If we can't get it from the ground, why not get into the sky? We can get to that airport that we came in and fly one of those giant airplanes into the blimps! It'd be just like a movie, and I'm pretty sure Akuma and me could both survive the landing! C'mon, doesn't it work out?" Your brow creases at Miyako's insistence, but you answer regardless.

"Even still, those things need a lot of prep work to take off, and frankly, we have no clue if it would work or not. For all we know, the runways and planes could have been blown to Yomi by now." To your surprise, Integra chooses that moment to speak up.

"It could work. There's a private air strip in one of the less bombed areas of the city that I use infrequently. I keep a private jet there ready to go at anytime, just in case. It's smaller than one of the passenger planes at Heathrow, but more than enough to send one of those zeppelins straight to hell." Miyako almost jumps in her seat as sudden support comes from the British front. You cast a long suffering gaze towards Integra, who smirks a little at your resigned despair. Well, fuck her too.

"At least tell me why you have this obsession with a full on charge? You seem to be giving this more thought than the average for you." Miyako pouts a bit and shrugs in response. You swear that she burrows into her tactical gear a little bit with how she slouches. It's always a bit groan inducing how much of a teenager your immortal zombie murder ninja is.

"It's just not how we do stuff. Or it doesn't seem like it. I mean, a mansion full of vampires? We bust down the doors and shoot the fuck out of them. If kijo are hiding in caves, we march down there and stare down Izanami like no big deal, and maybe start a spiritual war, but that shit happens. Even when you're fighting shikome, crazy murder ladies who are invincible and super fast when they're in the dark, at night in the middle of a thunderstorm with the power out, we march down the stairs into the basement like we're the Head Bitches In Charge, because we don't take shit like that. I wasn't even there for that and I can feel the weight of the metaphorical balls that took." There's silence as you digest that while Miyako fumes a bit more. Sighing, you're about to speak when she continues. "I don't like the fact that we can't just line up and smash them in the face. Or from behind. Stupid civilians, all squishy and shit." You smile a bit, but it's bittersweet.

"Yeah, Nazi's are assholes. And it sucks when you get stuck in a rigged game. But times like these are where you have to just flip the table and start beating up the dealer with a chair." Miyako blinks a bit and let's out a small giggle before she can help herself. She's probably imagining you in your dignified, priestly robes wildly swing a chair at the face of some poor card dealer. That sounded like far too much fun for you to contain yourself, so you giggle yourself and reach over to stroke her hair a bit.

"As unfortunate as it feels to say this, you are in fact the commander of almost the entirety of our forces. I will allow you the final judgement call on which strategy we pursue." You nod in thanks, more than aware of how difficult it is for Integra to give up control like that. Or, since they are your forces, restrain herself from trying to take charge. You doubted sub-ordinance was good for Integra, so you should probably find something for her to manage all her own.

"Ladies, I believe we are almost at the manor. We shall arrive at the front doors momentarily." Everyone save Walter turns to you, and you can feel them waiting for you to make a decision. It would be wise to decide now, seeing as you would be introducing your plan to the rest of your forces, and time was most certainly of the essence. So, what will you choose?

[] Turtle Up: Integra wants to make sure that her foothold in the city stays hers, and you can't blame her. A home base would be crucial to staying safe and reducing damage to your forces until you are in a good position to strike. Still, this maximizes possible civilian casualties.

[] Hit and Run: Groups of fighters making their way through the city could reasonably do a lot of damage, and help save civilians and disrupt the enemy. A lot of your units, such as your swordsmen, are well suited to the work, and people like Akuma and Miyako leading the groups would surely lead to even greater success. Still, it leaves Hellsing Manor quite vulnerable.

[] All Guns Pointed Forward: The best way to save lives is to end the conflict, preferably with huge amounts of violence. Miyako recommends a forward charge with all forces, leading up to a nearby airfield, from which an aerial strike could take down the zeppelins, and destroy their bombing capabilities. Easily the most risky, for obvious reasons, but with the most potential benefits if it works.

[] Write in: Very, very subject to my veto.

AN: Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer came out on the same day. Why. What have you done to my life, gaming industry. Anyway, here's an update. I'm no tactician, so I'm happy to take write ins. But detailed ones please. Detailed in terms of tactics that is, I don't need to know the exact street route you want to take and everything.

Also, do you guys want me to do battle interludes (like the Bodhisattva fight) in real time when they happen (which would distract from updates) all at the end, (which would be a sudden dump) or keep them offscreen. I'm honestly fine with any option, but I can see how each have their downsides. This isn't a vote, just gauging opinion.

Real time

[X] Turtle Up: Integra wants to make sure that her foothold in the city stays hers, and you can't blame her. A home base would be crucial to staying safe and reducing damage to your forces until you are in a good position to strike. Still, this maximizes possible civilian casualties.

We got limited numbers. Lose enough and the whole battle is off.

Very nice update! Very nice reasonably sized update :V

As for battle interludes, I'd say ... maybe intersperse them with updates? Sounds kinda silly but I think it might work.

[X] All Guns Pointed Forward: The best way to save lives is to end the conflict, preferably with huge amounts of violence. Miyako recommends a forward charge with all forces, leading up to a nearby airfield, from which an aerial strike could take down the zeppelins, and destroy their bombing capabilities. Easily the most risky, for obvious reasons, but with the most potential benefits if it works.

The dice may not have been kind to us so far, but a swift ending is better than a slow doom.

[X] Turtle Up: Integra wants to make sure that her foothold in the city stays hers, and you can't blame her. A home base would be crucial to staying safe and reducing damage to your forces until you are in a good position to strike. Still, this maximizes possible civilian casualties

You and Miyako turned to her, where she was looking over the still burning city skyline. Idly, you wonder if this was enough for Kagutsuchi to reclaim his power. With your luck, of course it wasn't.
Oh, come on! London is burning! What more does he needs?

[X] All Guns Pointed Forward: The best way to save lives is to end the conflict, preferably with huge amounts of violence. Miyako recommends a forward charge with all forces, leading up to a nearby airfield, from which an aerial strike could take down the zeppelins, and destroy their bombing capabilities. Easily the most risky, for obvious reasons, but with the most potential benefits if it works.

London Bridge falling down?

The only thing preventing me from going 100% politically incorrect and calling this "Operation 9/11" is the fact that the zeppelin isn't rooted to the ground. Yet. Let's fix that -- preferably with fire, jet fuel, melted steel beams, and thousands of casualties.

@Ars Poetica operation Hindenburg is GO!

Just reminding people that Walter is still disloyal and so that factor should be taken into account when trying to pick a plan...

[X] Hit and Run: Groups of fighters making their way through the city could reasonably do a lot of damage, and help save civilians and disrupt the enemy. A lot of your units, such as your swordsmen, are well suited to the work, and people like Akuma and Miyako leading the groups would surely lead to even greater success. Still, it leaves Hellsing Manor quite vulnerable.

Turtle Up isn't as safe as it sounds, since offering a hard point for the enemy to hit can also be asking to get overwhelmed equally as well.

[X] Turtle Up: Integra wants to make sure that her foothold in the city stays hers, and you can't blame her. A home base would be crucial to staying safe and reducing damage to your forces until you are in a good position to strike. Still, this maximizes possible civilian casualties

The problems with option B and C is that we would be blindsided and vulnerable if the Vatican attacks like in the OTL. That, and I'd rather we preserve our forces until Alucard arrives, since we still have another war coming up back in Japan.

[X] Hit and Run: Groups of fighters making their way through the city could reasonably do a lot of damage, and help save civilians and disrupt the enemy. A lot of your units, such as your swordsmen, are well suited to the work, and people like Akuma and Miyako leading the groups would surely lead to even greater success. Still, it leaves Hellsing Manor quite vulnerable.

Fighting in the streets, saving civilians, it's what it's about!

For the citizens to burn with it? And the monuments.

Choosing between defense, mobility and attack now? I will choose mobility. We have a small number of badass hero units facing an army of nazi vampires, poking them with a gun sounds better than the other two options.

Oh, voting. Yes.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Zippy zippy zoom zoom

Seriously, fuck the Major if he thinks reality's going to invert itself to keep those massive, floating targets safe from retaliation twice.

The whole "blimps blow up London with impunity" was World War One, jackass!

...Honestly? I just liked Miyako's argument.

EDIT:
I wonder how many of us vote for going all in because we feel the same way as Miyako...

I think I just became your case in point.

EDIT AGAIN:
Main problem with "turtle up" is in fact the same problem with 'everyone bunch up and charge in'; you put all the eggs in one basket and we get surrounded and overwhelmed. We split up we risk getting defeated piecemeal; the Nazis just have to concentrate overwhelming force on one small group at a time and down we go; we divided ourselves up for conquering. We yolo the Zeppelin? Well, then we're playing a Hellsing Quest.

Last edited:

EDIT AGAIN:
Main problem with "turtle up" is in fact the same problem with 'everyone bunch up and charge in'; you put all the eggs in one basket and we get surrounded and overwhelmed. We split up we risk getting defeated piecemeal; the Nazis just have to concentrate overwhelming force on one small group at a time and down we go; we divided ourselves up for conquering. We yolo the Zeppelin? Well, then we're playing a Hellsing Quest.
Though, if Turtling fails and we get surrounded we are in an inherently better position than if the same happens going all in.

Charging forward is definitely a high-risk option and LD has had 'wrong' choices before. Of course, the one time we picked one of those, we had a super-crit and got a daughter out of it.

Back