Batman vs. Superman: Killing and Expectations

Again. Superman is meant to be optimistic. Making a superman story that isn't optimistic is missing the point of Superman, just like making a spiderman movie where spiderman is a selfish jackass throughout who only helps people out of self interest is missing the point of spiderman.
Actually, that's pretty dead-on to very early Lee/Ditko Spider-Man, who mostly wanted to use his powers to make money. A major part of his character arc was growing out of it.

Okay, but the thing is...

Red Son Superman isn't Superman. Or at least, he's not THE Superman. He's an elseworlds. Thats one of the reasons the fact that the series is kinda cynical is, for lack of a better word, tolerated, as it doesn't have to cleave closely to the themes and the concept upon which superman is based, while a movie does unless you want to wind up with Live Action GitS garbage. The other examples you mentioned aren't even elseworlds supermen, but completely different characters. Sure, they might have the whole 'superhuman power' thing, they might have vaguely similar aesthetics, but they aren't the same. They don't have the same point at all behind them.

The point behind Dr. Manhattan is to imagine how a godlike posthuman entity would interact with humanity. That's the point behind him, and trying to use the point behind him for Superman, a completely separate character, is, to be blunt, dumb. Same goes for your other listed characters.

Again. Superman is meant to be optimistic. Making a superman story that isn't optimistic is missing the point of Superman, just like making a spiderman movie where spiderman is a selfish jackass throughout who only helps people out of self interest is missing the point of spiderman.

I feel like yer trying to grasp at straws here for an argument, man, considering all you did in that post was literally list of characters who are only comparable to superman on the shallowest level and try and insinuate that they happen to be similar on a deeper level.

But you keep insisting what Superman is. Who defines that? Why do they define that? i brought up Miller and Batman earlier for a reason. These characters have existed for decades, been written by dozens of different writers. The original Superman did kill people. He TORTURED people.

How can you claim there is a monopoly on what makes Superman?

Zod is genocidal, hate-filled, vindictive, racist, underhanded, dishonorable, loveless, petty, murderous, and really not all that bright. His only redeeming feature is his devotion to resurrecting a regime that was also, by all appearances, genocidal, hate-filled, vindictive, racist, underhanded, dishonorable, loveless, petty, murderous, and really not all that bright.

Fuck's sake, Xa-Du was more sympathetic, and he was an evil space mummy who wanted to turn Kandor into an army of microscopic zombies.

As for Krypton all being jerks, it's true - that was written into the Byrne run, to a degree, that Krypton was an emotionless society with a lot of skeletons in its closet (even if that's, what, four reboots ago?). But even then, what? Are Kryptonians not people? Do they not have and deserve the capacity for redemption? Or are they just born evil? How does Zod being from Krypton render him exempt from this?

Well, the only Kryptonians left are Zod and his fanatics. Redemption is a gift not available for Superman to offer.

But putting that aside, it also goes against another Jor-El speech, that Superman is "the best of both worlds." This is stated to be why Superman is important; he can be the best of what Krypton represented and use that to guide humanity. But the only thing he takes from Krypton is his outfit and his powers - even from his birth, he was not a representative of Krypton's culture. At best, you could say he carries on some of Jor-El's (wrong) philosophies, but the movie makes a point of declaring Jor-El to be hugely aberrant.

This is true. Superman does reject Krypton most explicitly. Jor-El was wrong there, but, well, Superman is his own person. He didn't have to follow his dad's big plan to the letter.

And as for moping... well, to be honest, I don't think him moping is the problem. I find it more wrong that Man of Steel, as a film, seems to take pleasure in trying to make Superman mope as much as possible. What happens in Man of Steel is that Clark is feared and/or rejected by everyone around him bar Lois, the only moral philosophies he tries to stick to turn out to be sweet nothings, he finds out that his culture is inherently evil, thousands of people die as a result of his actions, and at the end of it all, he kills a man. Of course he's moping. And that doesn't mean that a Superman story can't include tragic elements - hell, one of the most widely-regarded moments for him involved an attempted suicide. But there's no balance to Man of Steel. It's all muted tones and sad dramatic music and people dying, and then it has the balls to try to end on a smile and a hug. And you know what? That rings hollow. It rings hollow even more when it comes right after the most traumatic scene in the movie. Did he reset his score to zero?

I don't think the movie was as depressing as you make it sound. It was serious but ultimately optimistic. Superman, in the end, is embraced as a hero and a part of Earth. Killing Zod was something he didn't want to do but he had to do so it didn't destroy him emotionally.

Hey, isn't it funny how your two examples of Superman stories are a) a non-canon Elseworlds that explicitly ends in Superman realizing that what he has been doing is wrong and retiring, and whose entire point is how massively different he is from the traditional Superman take, and b) not a Superman story at all? (Yes, Hyperion's an analogue. So's Superduperman, and I wouldn't bring that in to justify depicting Clark Kent as a tobacco-chewing sexual harasser.)

They're also really good and deal with the exact same themes as Man of Steel in a lot of ways. Superman the ideal vs. Superman the reality.

Not, you know, the first big-budget Superman movie in years, the hopeful springboard for an entire cinematic universe, and what will, for many people, be their first serious experience with the character? Can you, perhaps, understand why most people were looking forward to a straightforward take, and not a half-assed deconstruction?

Yes, people wanted different things out of the movie. That's plain to see. It's also plain to see a lot of people have no baggage about what Superman "should be" and they liked the movie just fine. Many will grow up thinking this is Superman.

It's impossible to buy the pathos of Superman being forced to kill that MoS shoves in the audiences face. Throwing in an improvised trolley problem is bad enough, but trying to sell Superman's grief when he's surrounded by millions of casualties? What, you're screaming now? Not to mention the film's complete inability to maintain the tone of the scene.

But you keep insisting what Superman is. Who defines that? Why do they define that? i brought up Miller and Batman earlier for a reason. These characters have existed for decades, been written by dozens of different writers. The original Superman did kill people. He TORTURED people.

How can you claim there is a monopoly on what makes Superman?

Well, the only Kryptonians left are Zod and his fanatics. Redemption is a gift not available for Superman to offer.

This is true. Superman does reject Krypton most explicitly. Jor-El was wrong there, but, well, Superman is his own person. He didn't have to follow his dad's big plan to the letter.

I don't think the movie was as depressing as you make it sound. It was serious but ultimately optimistic. Superman, in the end, is embraced as a hero and a part of Earth. Killing Zod was something he didn't want to do but he had to do so it didn't destroy him emotionally.

They're also really good and deal with the exact same themes as Man of Steel in a lot of ways. Superman the ideal vs. Superman the reality.

Yes, people wanted different things out of the movie. That's plain to see. It's also plain to see a lot of people have no baggage about what Superman "should be" and they liked the movie just fine. Many will grow up thinking this is Superman.

Okay, so we've learned you, in fact, have not read those Superman stories. People who know the character better than I do have traced the earliest possible example of Superman causing a person's death to 1953, a good fifteen years after his debut, and even then, it wasn't his fault. As for torture... closest thing I can think of is his second issue, where he intimidates a man by firing a bullet at him and catching it. That's... a stretch. Golden Age Supes was a rough-and-tumble hardass, but he wasn't a killer. If you want a story that actually does try to incorporate that, try Morrison's Action Comics, which did so sensibly and organically without a single neck snap.

"Doesn't follow big dad's plan to the letter" - that is literally the only thing he does in the movie. Jor-El, not Superman, is the one who comes up with the plan to save the day. Jor-El, not Superman, makes the outfit (one thing that didn't happen in the Byrne take, by the by). Jor-El, not Superman, decides that Superman has to reveal himself. Jor-El, not Superman, decides his purpose. And that's before you get into the Christ allegory the movie hits with like a train. Yes, he kills Zod - but as you yourself claim, he had no choice and would never have done so otherwise.

Oh, yes, and who decided that Zod's people needed to be gone? It wasn't Superman.

Yeah, he's embraced as a hero so hard that the very next movie he's in is about how nobody embraces him as a hero, his existence has created unimaginable chaos and death with more on the way, and he's either treated with a worshipful inhuman awe or an all-consuming fear and loathing, before he finally gets brutally murdered by the people he swore to protect.

And honestly? Saying that you can tell a Supreme Power Hyperion or Doctor Manhattan or Red Son Superman story with the core Superman is an insult to all four. Red Son Superman is fundamentally not Superman; that's the point of who he is and his eventual epiphany, that the ideals he tries to represent and follow are incompatible with his role as a Soviet leader. There's a reason that, after he retires, he becomes, essentially, Clark Kent - assuming a core part of the Superman identity for the first time. Doctor Manhattan isn't even slightly like Superman in personality, appearance, place in the world, morality, or backstory, bar the fact that he's very powerful. The ethos of Doctor Manhattan, that a superhuman being would find themselves turned into a government asset, change the balance of politics, and find nothing appealing about humanity, could be applied to literally any sufficiently powerful hero, and are all demonstrably untrue about Clark. Supreme Power is about how a being like Superman could not exist in a realistic setting, and treats the idea of Clark having a normal human upbringing as a childish fantasy that could only be the product of falsehood and simulation. It's not a new spin on the concept, it's a deliberate teardown, just as much as making Batman into a murderous racist is. Putting these three stories in the same room as Man of Steel is saying that Man of Steel Superman is no closer to Superman than the fucking Public Spirit.

But, oh wait - you've managed to find a child who liked Man of Steel. I guess you won the argument. (Incidentally, if we're speaking from the mouths of babes, I wonder what will happen when that little boy finds the sequel, with its onscreen mutilations, bath sex, half-coherent religious diatribes, and R-rated director's cut.)

Okay, so we've learned you, in fact, have not read those Superman stories. People who know the character better than I do have traced the earliest possible example of Superman causing a person's death to 1953, a good fifteen years after his debut, and even then, it wasn't his fault. As for torture... closest thing I can think of is his second issue, where he intimidates a man by firing a bullet at him and catching it. That's... a stretch. Golden Age Supes was a rough-and-tumble hardass, but he wasn't a killer. If you want a story that actually does try to incorporate that, try Morrison's Action Comics, which did so sensibly and organically without a single neck snap.

I read the first 30 or so issues of the original Superman comics. I made a whole thread about it many years ago now. Can't find it off-hand but I did find a post of me quoting myself
Superman's a Troll. | Page 2

Perhaps no killing here - my bad there. It has been ten years since I read these. But lots and lots of torture.

"Doesn't follow big dad's plan to the letter" - that is literally the only thing he does in the movie. Jor-El, not Superman, is the one who comes up with the plan to save the day.

Jor-El, not Superman, makes the outfit (one thing that didn't happen in the Byrne take, by the by). Jor-El, not Superman, decides that Superman has to reveal himself. Jor-El, not Superman, decides his purpose. And that's before you get into the Christ allegory the movie hits with like a train. Yes, he kills Zod - but as you yourself claim, he had no choice and would never have done so otherwise.

Except Superman lets Krypton die? He has no interest in using the genetic codex within himself to repopulate Krypton, and I would assume Jor-El sent it with him specifically for that reason. You yourself already said that Jor-El wanted to make Superman a bridge between two worlds. Except Clark outright rejects Krypton and has no interest in reviving it or its culture. He's an Earthling, that's it.

Yeah, he's embraced as a hero so hard that the very next movie he's in is about how nobody embraces him as a hero, his existence has created unimaginable chaos and death with more on the way, and he's either treated with a worshipful inhuman awe or an all-consuming fear and loathing, before he finally gets brutally murdered by the people he swore to protect.

Wait what? Who murdered Superman?

And I didn't realize the discovery of an alien on our planet who could singlehandedly take over the world would be a "meh" issue everyone just got over immediately. Some people support him, others don't. That's just being realistic. There's a damned statue of Superman. I remember because I just re-watched the Doomsday fight and he kinda gives it a glare, like the Zod in him is all pissy. It was great.

And honestly? Saying that you can tell a Supreme Power Hyperion or Doctor Manhattan or Red Son Superman story with the core Superman is an insult to all four. Red Son Superman is fundamentally not Superman; that's the point of who he is and his eventual epiphany, that the ideals he tries to represent and follow are incompatible with his role as a Soviet leader.

He was tricked by Luthor exploiting his conscience. As the ending shows, he was right and Luthor was wrong. Supreme Leader Superman had the right idea all along.

Doctor Manhattan isn't even slightly like Superman in personality, appearance, place in the world, morality, or backstory, bar the fact that he's very powerful. The ethos of Doctor Manhattan, that a superhuman being would find themselves turned into a government asset, change the balance of politics, and find nothing appealing about humanity, could be applied to literally any sufficiently powerful hero, and are all demonstrably untrue about Clark.

Dr. Manhattan exists to question what if our godly protector couldn't care less about us. All of Watchmen questions the why of superheroes. Superman is no different. Stories like Kingdom Come and injustice focus on this, too. The loss of Lois - Superman's Laurie, his one connection to the world - makes him an apathetic despot.

One alien decides the fate of the world.

Yes they are different in many ways. I never denied that and those differences are self-evident. But I took away from Watchmen and Man of Steel/Batman vs. Superman the core idea of "what are the obligations of a super-man?"

But, oh wait - you've managed to find a child who liked Man of Steel. I guess you won the argument. (Incidentally, if we're speaking from the mouths of babes, I wonder what will happen when that little boy finds the sequel, with its onscreen mutilations, bath sex, half-coherent religious diatribes, and R-rated director's cut.)

No need to be unpleasant. I found that tweet yesterday and thought it was really sweet. It was also relevant to something you said. That's why I posted it. It is not supposed to be some conclusive end-all argument, it was just proving what you yourself said.

Last edited:
So, tl;dr the point of BvS was to miss the point of one half of it's characters.
I've still got to get around to seeing it. I remember when the trailers came out I said to my friends, 'This looks like a The Dark Knight Returns style film. And while that was a great Batman story, it wasn't a Superman story. And I would like a Superman story.'

I've still got to get around to seeing it. I remember when the trailers came out I said to my friends, 'This looks like a The Dark Knight Returns style film. And while that was a great Batman story, it wasn't a Superman story. And I would like a Superman story.'
See, that's not actually fair to Dark Knight Returns. However inadvertently, that story actually had some level of understanding of who and what Superman was, and his basic character.

Batman versus Superman? It apes Dark Knight Returns without understanding it and is an insult to all of the characters it uses- there's a reason I referred to it as parading around in the flayed skins of the characters and stories.

The thing that got me wasn't so much that Superman didn't find another way, but that the movie didn't really show him trying other approaches. He fought for awhile then he reached his breaking point.

Superman should be someone who always tries to find another way, to reach for the best resolution whether or not he succeeds. The famous Doomsday fight had Superman try and get DD away and get punished for it and Doomsday reaching Metropolis despite clear heavy effort to the contrary. It's not about whether it works, but intent and what it shows of the character. MoS didn't really show enough of that.

People who think Superman always gets a contrived good resolution don't read enough of the comics, but regardless that's not the point of most of the complaints.

Also, I find the killing thing (which, btw, has happened in comics before) secondary to the visual storytelling of the fight, which did not show Superman actively minimizing the damage as much as he could. It was much more 'straight superbrawl' rather than 'I am actively doing what I can to try and stop all this damage I'm just not succeeding.' Again, intent matters, and the Marvel films have been more active and more successful at portraying characters as trying to stop casualties.

I'm quoting Q99 because his post is the first in the queue, but I'm moreorless addressing a lot of broad points because brought up in this thread.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but in Man of Steel, Superman consistently gets his arse handed to him. Not even a full day had passed between his first ever fight - not even first ever superhuman fight, but first ever fight - in Smallville and his subsequent duel with Zod in Metropolis. Sure, he's saved people from school buses, from exploding oil rigs, from spaceship, etc., but he has no experience fighting anyone, never mind trying to save people while being consistently turned into a human-shaped ragdoll physics simulator. Whereas almost every time MCU heroes fight in a situation where they need to keep collateral damage low, they consistently and conveniently find opponents with all the durability and danger of tissue paper (although the Iron Man VS Hulk fight in Age of Ultron was a pretty good exception). By contrast, Superman fought an opponent who, for all intents and purposes, was pretty much better at combat in every way, at a location of his opponent's choosing, which happened to be a major metropolitan center.

I mean, sure, you could argue that "giving Superman enemies too powerful for him to fight and minimize collateral damage" was a bad idea, and given what people expect out of a Superman story, I guess I can accept that. But I think the big part of what I liked about Man of Steel was the honesty in which they portrayed the damage that would be incurred when individuals that can achieve supersonic flight, whom bullets bounce off of, and who can shoot laser beams from their eyes end up in a fight. Battles in the MCU tends to be intensely sanitized, exemplified with little things like intensely underpowered weapons and galactic artifacts that look like they have the yield of a hand grenade, alien invaders in New York City with less combat potential than a modern helicopter gunship (which is probably why the film adamantly refuses to actually let them show up, instead hilariously going straight for the nuclear option), with the three rogue helicarriers all conveniently falling into the Potomac instead of on an urban center, and so on and so forth.

Which is fine, really. I get the idea of escapist heroic fantasy, of being able to "kick ass and take names" and assuming there isn't a massive trail of debris and dead bodies that don't get explored until a future film where the producers decide it's time to talk about some heavy themes, but mostly so they can set up a conflict between the ensemble cast. I get that we want to gloss over the fact that trying to just decapacitate someone instead of killing them in a serious life-or-death fight is actually extremely difficult, and that writers contrive coincidences for the nearly-invulnerable Superman because that's his narrative theme, his storyarc. In spite of what I said above, I do like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and have watched almost all of the films (and, by contrast, I have watched very little of the DC Expanded Universe). But I also respect Man of Steel for doing something different and honest with its fight chereography. You can't tell me that there's a fight between two metahumans who fly faster than sound, jump through buildings, and create craters just by falling out of the sky, and then tell me "oh, and they maybe destroyed an abandoned building under construction or something" without making it wish-fulfillment fantasy. (Which, like I said before, is fine, but I appreciate that Man of Steel tried something different.)

As for Superman...Superman doesn't kill, it is simple convention. MoS was, in my opinion, a miserable slog that really stopped being a Superman Movie when Superman misused his powers on the Trucker Asshole, much less when he killed Zod. Superman is a character who is all about how he should use his Powers. He is a man who can do almost anything, he can destroy planets, Move faster then the speed of light, his power is theoretically infinite. Superman doesn't kill people, and he doesn't bully or use his powers for petty revenge and pleasure, he uses his powers to help who he can when he can. He is a man taught to have responsibility for his powers, and needs to be a role model, him killing Zod...understandable given the contrived circumstances I suppose...but...that ain't Superman, that's bad writing.

I think Clark Kent "misusing" his powers on a truck had a lot to do with the fact that Clark was not yet Superman. He was a well-meaning but troubled guy who was literally drifting across the North American continent, picking up odd jobs, figuring out his meaning in life with full knowledge that he's an alien with no idea of where he came from. He was a young adult who had not yet developed a full moral code that would attach itself to the Superman brand, but a lost young adult doing the best he could. You call it miserable; I call it character development, and that's probably what made me not snore through a Superman film.

The movie was a sour, unpleasant slog through grimderp angst that aped the story and cast of Superman while completely missing the point. Its message is an unpleasant one, it's characters are cutouts or just plain unlikeable, and the only thing super about it is its superficial understanding of the characters whose names and faces it stole for the cast.

The core idea of Superman is that doing the right thing is working to make things better for others (and no, neck-snapping in a ridiculous contrivance followed by smiles all around doesn't qualify so don't even bother), to stick to principles (Truth, justice, and the American way ring a bell?)- and that life isn't a grim pointless angstfest- it's a work in progress. There's always hope, people are generally inherently good and worth helping- and in their own way, everyone has something that makes them every bit the hero superman is. All that cape flapping and punching giant robots? That's window dressing. A cape does not Superman make, nor does laser vision. It's his attitude. Superman only matters because he's the best of us- the man of tomorrow, the person each of us can live up to be- not because he's a flying brick with laser eyes.

If you want Superman in a sentence, he's the kind of hero who'd unironically rescue a cat out of a tree with a smile. Just for the sake of making things better. This "hard man making hard decisions while hard" nonsense isn't just wrong, it's a non sequitur for a genuine Superman story. Superman is about rejecting that as defeatism. Finding another way. Not settling for the bare minimum or not even trying to help, but doing the best you can and being content in doing it because it IS the right thing to do.

The Snyder superman isn't a hero. He isn't even a good person. He isn't even particularly brave- he's an apathetic, reactionary, callous mess- hell, I'd say Shinji Ikari would have made a better Superman than the character we saw presented as such because Shinji Ikari actually cares about something or someone and has some measure of principles and genuine compassion!

MoS's message is that there's no way to make things better. People given a chance to make things better won't care enough to want to. Doing good doesn't feel good. It's okay to take the easy way out and kill people rather than finding a better way. Saying MoS's actual contents is about hope is false advertising. And frankly, MoS's whole message is bullshit.

The Synder films are running around wearing the flayed hide of stories and characters they clearly don't understand, and their replacement storyline and themes replaced hope and optimism with pointless cinematic masturbation over contrived, sulky grimderp and pseudo-"realism" that's less realistic in terms of its characters than the actual cartoons.

The only reason talking with you will amount to nothing is that you're not listening to anything anyone has to say.

Did we watch the same film? You know, the one where Clark Kent as a boy saves his classmates in a bus accident and then tells his father that he couldn't have let them die? The one where he saves people from an oil rig and stops a tower from collapsing onto a rescue helicopter despite the fact that he wasn't sure he could've survived that (requiring Aquaman to provide some off-screen help)? The one where he works up the courage and motivation to oppose Zod once he finds out that the latter intends to genocide humanity to recreate Krypton on Earth? The one where two villains at separate times tell him that they will deliberately target "a million more" humans because they know he cares, that it's his weak spot?

Yes, Clark Kent mopes. But that's character development. Man of Steel is an origin story in which he is Superman for literally less than a day. It's a story of "doing the right thing is difficult, it's sometimes heartbreaking, the world is sometimes too complex for simple solutions, but you try to do the right thing anyways because it's the right thing". It's trying to be more than an escapist superhero film, moving into the realm of a character study. And maybe that's not optimistic enough because a Superman story is supposed to be high-optimism and low-drama, which is okay. But I think your description is an incredibly willful misinterpretation of what is actually portrayed in that film.

I'm quoting Q99 because his post is the first in the queue, but I'm moreorless addressing a lot of broad points because brought up in this thread.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but in Man of Steel, Superman consistently gets his arse handed to him. Not even a full day had passed between his first ever fight - not even first ever superhuman fight, but first ever fight - in Smallville and his subsequent duel with Zod in Metropolis. Sure, he's saved people from school buses, from exploding oil rigs, from spaceship, etc., but he has no experience fighting anyone, never mind trying to save people while being consistently turned into a human-shaped ragdoll physics simulator. Whereas almost every time MCU heroes fight in a situation where they need to keep collateral damage low, they consistently and conveniently find opponents with all the durability and danger of tissue paper (although the Iron Man VS Hulk fight in Age of Ultron was a pretty good exception). By contrast, Superman fought an opponent who, for all intents and purposes, was pretty much better at combat in every way, at a location of his opponent's choosing, which happened to be a major metropolitan center.

I mean, sure, you could argue that "giving Superman enemies too powerful for him to fight and minimize collateral damage" was a bad idea, and given what people expect out of a Superman story, I guess I can accept that. But I think the big part of what I liked about Man of Steel was the honesty in which they portrayed the damage that would be incurred when individuals that can achieve supersonic flight, whom bullets bounce off of, and who can shoot laser beams from their eyes end up in a fight. Battles in the MCU tends to be intensely sanitized, exemplified with little things like intensely underpowered weapons and galactic artifacts that look like they have the yield of a hand grenade, alien invaders in New York City with less combat potential than a modern helicopter gunship (which is probably why the film adamantly refuses to actually let them show up, instead hilariously going straight for the nuclear option), with the three rogue helicarriers all conveniently falling into the Potomac instead of on an urban center, and so on and so forth.

Which is fine, really. I get the idea of escapist heroic fantasy, of being able to "kick ass and take names" and assuming there isn't a massive trail of debris and dead bodies that don't get explored until a future film where the producers decide it's time to talk about some heavy themes, but mostly so they can set up a conflict between the ensemble cast. I get that we want to gloss over the fact that trying to just decapacitate someone instead of killing them in a serious life-or-death fight is actually extremely difficult, and that writers contrive coincidences for the nearly-invulnerable Superman because that's his narrative theme, his storyarc. In spite of what I said above, I do like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and have watched almost all of the films (and, by contrast, I have watched very little of the DC Expanded Universe). But I also respect Man of Steel for doing something different and honest with its fight chereography. You can't tell me that there's a fight between two metahumans who fly faster than sound, jump through buildings, and create craters just by falling out of the sky, and then tell me "oh, and they maybe destroyed an abandoned building under construction or something" without making it wish-fulfillment fantasy. (Which, like I said before, is fine, but I appreciate that Man of Steel tried something different.)

I think Clark Kent "misusing" his powers on a truck had a lot to do with the fact that Clark was not yet Superman. He was a well-meaning but troubled guy who was literally drifting across the North American continent, picking up odd jobs, figuring out his meaning in life with full knowledge that he's an alien with no idea of where he came from. He was a young adult who had not yet developed a full moral code that would attach itself to the Superman brand, but a lost young adult doing the best he could. You call it miserable; I call it character development, and that's probably what made me not snore through a Superman film.

Did we watch the same film? You know, the one where Clark Kent as a boy saves his classmates in a bus accident and then tells his father that he couldn't have let them die? The one where he saves people from an oil rig and stops a tower from collapsing onto a rescue helicopter despite the fact that he wasn't sure he could've survived that (requiring Aquaman to provide some off-screen help)? The one where he works up the courage and motivation to oppose Zod once he finds out that the latter intends to genocide humanity to recreate Krypton on Earth? The one where two villains at separate times tell him that they will deliberately target "a million more" humans because they know he cares, that it's his weak spot?

Yes, Clark Kent mopes. But that's character development. Man of Steel is an origin story in which he is Superman for literally less than a day. It's a story of "doing the right thing is difficult, it's sometimes heartbreaking, the world is sometimes too complex for simple solutions, but you try to do the right thing anyways because it's the right thing". It's trying to be more than an escapist superhero film, moving into the realm of a character study. And maybe that's not optimistic enough because a Superman story is supposed to be high-optimism and low-drama, which is okay. But I think your description is an incredibly willful misinterpretation of what is actually portrayed in that film.
Cute, but Kent quite obviously doesn't care when he should and where the plot stops mandating that he care–it seems pa kent bullied the basic empathy out if him. Forced villain exposition aside, the Superman we see rather than the one we're told we see visibly doesn't give a shit about the people he helps out of habit.

Kent's apathy seems to come over as less heroic and more psychopathic. People don't seem very real or meaningful to him other than if they belong to him.

Last edited:
Cute, but Kent quite obviously doesn't care when he should and where the plot stops mandating that he care–it seems pa kent bullied the basic empathy out if him. Forced villain exposition aside, the Superman we see rather than the one we're told we see visibly doesn't give a shit about the people he helps out of habit.

...I don't even know how to respond to this. I honestly don't.

I'm trying to be as constructive as I possibly can, and I'll first say right away that I haven't watched Batman v. Superman so I can't take that into account, but did you actually watch the film? Or are you trying to suggest that constantly trying to save people is a...habitual sociopathic routine?

...I don't even know how to respond to this. I honestly don't.

I'm trying to be as constructive as I possibly can, and I'll first say right away that I haven't watched Batman v. Superman so I can't take that into account, but did you actually watch the film? Or are you trying to suggest that constantly trying to save people is a...habitual sociopathic routine?
I'm saying that the only thing stopping the broken shell of a man they named Clark Kent from going on a murder spree is a vague sense of obligation and that no one took his favorite toy–sorry, his "loved ones" away. This is hammered home in the sequel- and outright stated- but even in the first movie, Clark Kent clearly does not give a shit about or understand other people in even the most basic of ways that Superman should.

Mosman comes over as incapable of genuine empathy and that above all else makes him a failed Superman.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the only thing stopping the broken shell of a man they named Clark Kent from going on a murder spree is a vague sense of obligation and that no one took his favorite toy–sorry, his "loved ones" away.

Mosman comes over as incapable of genuine empathy and that above all else makes him a failed Superman

Um. Okay.

I mean, I have a hard time seeing a protagonist risk his life on multiple separate occasions to save people he doesn't know - however imperfectly - and chalking it up to "a vague sense of obligation" and "incapable of genuine empathy". I don't expect all characters to constantly emote. But if that's your interpretation, it's your interpretation, and you're welcome to it. I'm just completely perplexed.

Um. Okay.

I mean, I have a hard time seeing a protagonist risk his life on multiple separate occasions to save people he doesn't know - however imperfectly - and chalking it up to "a vague sense of obligation" and "incapable of genuine empathy". I don't expect all characters to constantly emote. But if that's your interpretation, it's your interpretation, and you're welcome to it. I'm just completely perplexed.
He compares unfavorable to Shinji Ikari when it comes to genuine heroism and motivations therof, but basically MoSman does it because no one outright told him to stop. He's a puppet on autopilot- and I'm thinking in particular of a certain scene in the sequel that you'll probably recognize as being what I'm talking about if and when you get around to watching Murderman vs Captain Hypocrite: Dawn of Trainwrecks.

MoSman is not a hero in anything but the most technical sense. He's a distant, apathetic idiot being led by the nose and uncaring for the damage he leaves in his wake. Whether he makes things better or not really doesn't seem to MATTER to him beyond the degree that he's vaguely aware they SHOULD matter but isn't capable of actually feeling anything about it.

As I said above, for all these movies' failings? They would make an excellent viewpoint into Luthor's deranged worldview, where The Alien doesn't actually care about humanity and everyone's blind sheep. The world of MoSman is a world where comics Luthor is right. Even downright better than all the alternatives.

I don't know about you, but I think that particular "what if" being the face of DC movies is outright unpleasant.

Last edited:
Ah, that explains it. You enjoy Supes being a fascist.

Communist and yes but that has no bearing on this whatsoever seeing as DCEU Clark's problem is his reluctance to get involved, as opposed to being "excessively" involved.

And it's just a fact the end of the comic twist is that Superman isn't an alien at all but from the future and he was sent back to prevent Luthor from taking over. All comic we had one selfish madman (Luthor) determined to undermine global peace because he just couldn't stand being beaten. Superman by contrast made his utopia out of a sincere desire to improve life for everyone.

Last edited:
Communist and yes but that has no bearing on this whatsoever seeing as DCEU Clark's problem is his reluctance to get involved, as opposed to being "excessively" involved.

And it's just a fact the end of the comic twist is that Superman isn't an alien at all but from the future and he was sent back to prevent Luthor from taking over. All comic we had one selfish madman (Luthor) determined to undermine global peace because he just couldn't stand being beaten. Superman by contrast made his utopia out of a sincere desire to improve life for everyone.

Literally the entire point is that it's not a utopia. They lobotomize people for God's sake.

Also, one of the bugs me things with MoSupes is, ok, action wise he's a rookie hero out of his depth in such a big brawl, right? He's *not* the iconic Superman who knows how to use all his powers well. Ok, we're on the same page so far.

Then he gets all these moments trying to sell him as a Jesus icon! No! Go with the rookie hero angle movie, that is what your action shows.

Before MOS, the general public, nerd culture and people outside the hardcore Superman fandom could have cared less about Superman.

What is this dumb muthafucka talking about? People care about Superman plenty. If they didnt Man of Steel wouldn't have been one of the highest earning movies of the year and this wouldn't be a controversy.

And for me, superheroes not killing is about respecting the legacy and purpose of the character. The narrative purpose of no kill rules is to absolve then from having to act out of pure necessity and pragmatism. It's so they can solve the problem without killing, and they hold onto that is an ideal.

Of course, differing interpretations are always fine. But the question is whether those different interpretations should be in the mass marketed movie, the ambassador of the characters to the general public.

Why are these movies popular I wondered.
...they're not.

Setting aside actual critical reviews, which are dismal for good reason, audience scores for BvS peak in the mid-60s, and are highly polarized.

Superman Returns was regarded as an awful flop, and it had similar-or-better reviews than Man of Steel, and made maybe $150 million less, at a time when cape movies were not considered the sure thing they are today.

Man of Steel was a Superman movie, starring one of the most recognisable characters across the world, and it was outgrossed by a movie starring Harley Quinn and Deadshot. It was almost matched by Doctor Strange. It barely beat Ant Man and Thor 2. Ant Man, for god's sake. Its sequel, Batman vs Superman, a film concept that would have slaughtered the box office less than a decade prior, made barely $100 million more than D-listers like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. Batman vs Superman with Wonder Woman guest-starring! It made half the money that the Avengers did.

Don't frame this as "why did Snyder's direction make Superman popular again". I think these movies are dogshite, but my opinion has nothing to do with the way you're trying to set up this discussion.

Last edited:
...they're not.

Setting aside actual critical reviews, which are dismal for good reason, audience scores for BvS peak in the mid-60s, and are highly polarized.

Superman Returns was regarded as an awful flop, and it had similar-or-better reviews than Man of Steel, and made maybe $150 million less.

Man of Steel was a Superman movie, starring one of the most recognisable characters across the world, and it was outgrossed by a movie starring Harley Quinn and Deadshot. It was almost matched by Doctor Strange. It barely beat Ant Man and Thor 2. Ant Man, for god's sake. Its sequel, Batman vs Superman, a film concept that would have slaughtered the box office less than a decade prior, made $100 million more than D-listers like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. Batman vs Superman with Wonder Woman guest-starring! It made half the money that the Avengers did.

Don't frame this as "why did Snyder's direction make Superman popular again". I think these movies are dogshite, but my opinion has nothing to do with the way you're trying to set up this discussion.

I was talking about Man of Steel and The Dark Knight. I guess I could have made that clearer but I though the fact I mentioned TDK and this thread was about Batman not killing kind of gave it away. ('cuz he kills in BvS) I was commenting on how people get mad at Batman in TDK for not killing The Joker yet they also get mad at Superman in MoS for killing Zod.

But I never made any claim Man of Steel or Batman vs. Superman were super popular. They did well, though. That's a fact.

Last edited:
I was talking about how good Man of Steel was elsewhere and someone commented that....

Why are these movies popular I wondered. Well, I like them because they delve into what it means to be a hero. I can't say if that is the appeal to everyone.

More relevant to this thread, I started to contrast the movies. The main thematic difference should be obvious. It's something people have been talking about for years.

Batman refuses to kill. Ever. I echo what others have said - "shooting the Joker in the back of the head from miles away with a sniper rifle should still count as self-defense." There are many online who feel Batman is the world's biggest hypocrite for his refusal to kill. I'm inclined to agree but I feel like this is an intentional character flaw and thus I can excuse it. The Dark Knight though presents it as one of his best traits. Batman is somehow nobler for his refusal to ever kill under any circumstance.

Then we get to Man of Steel. We all know what happened. Crack. And the Internet exploded with complaints. Those same people advocating Joker's brutal end at the hands of Batman now are up-in-arms because Superman killed Zod. Yes, let's just go over that one more time. The Joker - a completely normal, if capable, human being - is deserving of death but the godlike Zod should be spared. No force on Earth can stop Zod and the only thing on his mind is killing every last human being out of spite. That is a level of brutality even The Joker doesn't typically indulge in. But Superman killing him was "wrong."

And then it hit me. Batman vs. Superman dealt heavily with this. Man vs. God. It's not about the Joker or Zod at all. People can accept failings from a man but they can't accept failings from their god. Superman is the god in this equation. An ideal that just wasn't realized when he was forced to kill Zod. It was the right thing to do according to most every standard you can name but people just could not accept their super-man being backed into a corner where he had to compromise.

I think it's interesting to consider how two of the most interesting superhero movies deal with the concept of killing and why some people are okay with one but not the other.

I think you have a different expectation of a character.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/naturally-altruistic-heroes-are-uninteresting.38035/

Judging by this thread, some people want Superman to help others with altruism.

In a way, you could view it as not altruism. Superman wants a better society for himself and others to live in, so he tries to make it as such. He saves people and earns favors sometimes. You could frame it as a more selfish behavior.

I personally didn't mind Superman messing up and wrecking Metropolis. I viewed it as, I don't blame a firefighter for a fire or knocking down a door to save people, I didn't mind here.
Even with the dark tone and screaming people the cinematography focused on. Superman didn't really seem to have an option.

I didn't mind killing Zod or the somber tone elsewhere. Clark didn't have a choice.

What I did mind, was the sudden cut from the somber scene to Superman drop kicking a satellite out of space and making a quip to a General. That mood whiplash bugged me.
The satellite less so since the government was established to be able to afford that.

I was less favorable on Superman wrecking the trucker's truck.
Yes the trucker was rude and a jerk. Yes he harassed people.
Wrecking his truck didn't solve this. It seemed very petty also since not only can the trucker not replace this, the trucker likely doesn't even own the truck.

Superman's beaten up people before who tried to pick a fight with. He doesn't always turn the other cheek and incorporates some power fantasy elements sometimes. The original Reeve films have Superman throwing a drunk out of a bar who was harassing Lois and punched him. But he didn't do any permanent harm in that scene, besides breaking a few plates. And plates have a lot less value then a truck.

Well, Batman kills people in most of his movies. He's just got really good marketing, and people believe it because he's mentally ill.

The expectation for both Batman and Superman seems to be that they'll get contrived plots that give easy access to morally acceptable outcomes. Superman getting his ass kicked by a peer enemy in MoS and destroying a city by accident in his failure to protect people is great drama and great scale, but many are left with the idea that he should have had some convenient setup to defuse the situation, rather than being forced to make a difficult choice. Comic characters probably have this sort of expectation because that's exactly how comics work.

I don't think that was it. Not all comic fans expect happy endings. Many stories can be rather dark or difficult even without Elseworlds.
And there's comic types besides Superhero comics.

Again I didn't mind the destruction of the city. Godzilla got treated as a hero in a slightly corny way in the latest Godzilla film, and Godzilla couldn't really stop from wrecking the city, though Godzilla got a few scenes of trying to be careful.

Also I'm not sure about your quote.

"
Before MOS, the general public, nerd culture and people outside the hardcore Superman fandom could have cared less about Superman. Now, after MOS and BvS, everyone and their mother has an opinion on the character and how he should be portrayed. All the while, Supes movies have been making more money than they ever have in the past. Guess it's like Stan Lee said; "Never give the audience what they think they want. Give them what they really want.". The audience didn't want a Reeve Redux (Superman Returns). They wanted a go get'em action movie in line with The Dark Knight and Snyder, Nolan and Goyer gave it to them.
"

I've seen stores where people dress up in a red cape and make an obvious nod to Superman while being as lawyer friendly as possible so they can get away with it.
People know about Superman all over the world, he's an icon.
So many people do care to a degree. People always have.
People just vocally care more now about showing it and their ideas and opinions.

Last edited:
I personally have no issue with the killing story-wise. They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner by not having Zod go with the rest of his army into the Phantom Zone and that was really the only way they could go about it. My problem is the way it was handled and the why it was included.

So Superman kills Zod gives a big "Nooooo" and then next scene he is okay. Just okay. Doesn't seem bothered by it afterwards. Which is super weird to me. Granted, that scene with the general takes place maybe a month or so later, but it is so jarring to go from Superman giving his best "Do Not Want" to going "Hey! Crashed your expensive drone equipment because I'm the good guy!" I would have loved to see a scene of him getting himself over his act of killing to continue to be a hero, to swear to never take another life because that's not what Superman should do.

I mentioned I take issue for the why the scene was included. You see, according to Zach Snyder the reason he had Superman kill Zod was, and I am not kidding here, to give an origin to his aversion to killing because him not wanting to kill people was never explained before. Which is the most baffling stupid thing I have ever heard. Snyder was basically saying that Superman doesn't know it is wrong to kill unless he kills someone; that only killers know that it is wrong to kill. That is insulting to a level that is staggering.
I don't think that was it. Not all comic fans expect happy endings. Many stories can be rather dark or difficult even without Elseworlds.
And there's comic types besides Superhero comics.

Again I didn't mind the destruction of the city. Godzilla got treated as a hero in a slightly corny way in the latest Godzilla film, and Godzilla couldn't really stop from wrecking the city, though Godzilla got a few scenes of trying to be careful.
To be fair, Godzilla is literally the size of a building fighting other things the size of buildings, so collateral damage is to be expect. I guess he is treated more like a hero is because after he defeats the MUTO, who were pretty much destroying something in every scene they were in, he just sort of leaves without destroying anything else. And weirdly enough, I think the cities Godzilla fought in were more intact then Metropolis in MoS.

Speaking of building-sized beings fighting in cities, we saw in Pacific Rim, the Jaegers very consciously moved around buildings and tried to drag things where damage was minimized (water, preferably), while the Kaiju plowed right through. A nice contrast for me.

Also I do think people definitely wanted a Superman action movie- Superman II was the best of the old batch, after all, and Returns was... kinda weird, and that Superman had his own issues too (sure, it wasn't killing, but what's up with the stalking? Or running out for years?). But, that doesn't mean they wouldn't have preferred a Superman action movie with a different moral compass. Because in all 5 Superman live action movies before MoS, a full 3/5 of them have no physical opponent at all, and one of the two that did sucked.

Personally, and this is a hypothesis that hasn't been tested since Superman 2, 37 years ago, I think people would really dig a morally iconic Superman movie where he fought villains who were physical threats and managed to come out on top. They don't want Superman vs real-estate scams (???) or hackers, they want him to go up against threats that push him and challenge him, and then show why he's the greatest hero and earn that status!

Last edited:
Before MOS, the general public, nerd culture and people outside the hardcore Superman fandom could have cared less about Superman. Now, after MOS and BvS, everyone and their mother has an opinion on the character and how he should be portrayed. All the while, Supes movies have been making more money than they ever have in the past. Guess it's like Stan Lee said; "Never give the audience what they think they want. Give them what they really want.". The audience didn't want a Reeve Redux (Superman Returns). They wanted a go get'em action movie in line with The Dark Knight and Snyder, Nolan and Goyer gave it to them.

Except that Man of Steel dropped 65% in its second weekend. The general consensus among box-office experts is that the Snyder Superman films have largely underperformed, to the point that there was some doubt for a while as to whether BvS even turned a profit.

As for it being something new... no, not really. Man of Steel is mostly just a remix of Donner (the villain, Jor-El becoming God, Superman's journey being overlaid with an imposed moral imperative) and Byrne (the treatment of Krypton and resulting assimilation narrative, the heavy role of the Kent family, ending on a death), but lacking the nostalgia and innocence of the former and the genuine humanism of the latter. Even its most memorable quote - Jor-El's "they will join you in the sun" speech - is lifted directly from the comics (All-Star Superman #12, to be specific).

And talking of that speech, it actually worked in that context, because unlike Man of Steel, All-Star Superman doesn't just talk about how Superman has the capacity to forgive and find hope. It's a story where Superman manages to find the good in an entire planet of insane monsters, a pair of Kryptonian conquerors, an evil space computer that tried to kill the sun, and Lex Luthor, all because Superman refuses to give up on them. It's also a story where the people of Kandor cure cancer, a girl finds the will to live, and a scientist manages to continue Superman's legacy even when he's gone, all because of the ways Superman has helped them. Nothing even slightly like any of those things happens in Man of Steel or Batman v. Superman. The only character Superman manages to redeem or uplift is Batman, and that's only posthumously - and "the last time you really inspired anyone was when you were dead" was not a line meant to be proven right.

Or, to put it another way, in the comic the DCEU pulls from, Jimmy Olsen risks his life and turns himself into a monster to save his best friend. In the DCEU, Jimmy Olsen gets shot in the head.

Last edited:
Back