Across The Spider-Verse

I'll be honest, seeing Spectacular Spider-Man on the big screen was not something I was expecting.

Him being half the height of everyone else was hilarious though.
I think it was supposed to be like that because that is how tall he was in the show, so it was kinda like a copy-paste type of thing to me.

Last edited:
So I got back from seeing it, and it was just so completely and utterly amazing! The animation alone was mindblowingly good, well done to all the animators involved. They better win all the animation-related awards for it.

My only major complaint: we'll have to wait a year for the next movie. The entire theater groaned when we all realized it was going to be a two-parter. The next movie better deliver on that all that cliffhanging hype.

I don't think that knowing that Miles fight criminals and supervillains on a daily basis, and the occasional joke turned humanoid transdimensional eldritch abomination with a personal beef against him, would decrease the Morales family's stress, quite the contrary.
OTOH;
knowing Miles is not hiding things from them or running with a bad crowd, has less to worry about in terms of physical danger, and the degree he blows off school/family obligations mostly involves trying to do nice things for the neighborhood? Does take some stress off of many parental minds even when other issues could add to it.

I mean, Mile's dad also thinks spiderman killed his brother. And vigilantism is still technically illegal.

Gotta say, as much as Spider-punk has style and presence that I love, the view we get of Gwen's Earth-65 is utterly gorgeous. Was a really nice way of allowing her to be consistent with the more realistic style of Miles' universe, whilst remaining very much its own distinct visual presence.

Loved the watercolours and pastels, just a perfect choice and execution.

Gotta say, as much as Spider-punk has style and presence that I love, the view we get of Gwen's Earth-65 is utterly gorgeous. Was a really nice way of allowing her to be consistent with the more realistic style of Miles' universe, whilst remaining very much its own distinct visual presence.

Loved the watercolours and pastels, just a perfect choice and execution.
That's pretty much how the trades for her solo title ran:
A lot of pastels used inside the comic, too.

Wow. Just wow.

Went into this not knowing anything except a half-remembered trailer. Was not expecting...art. The use of colors, the different animation styles, the settings, the occasional helpful text boxes; wish more animation was this ambitious.

Loved the characters. Miles and Gwen, two dumb kids not knowing if they're feeling attraction, or friendship, or just desperation to not be alone. Peter Spidermanning around in his pajamas. Peni Parker getting a better design. Indian Spiderman (Is this an actual comic, or just background?) And of course, Mayday donning her mask.

Only thing I missed was Spiders-man.

Just got out.

Fantastic movie, amazing animation, and god damn but that's a cliffhanger I haven't seen in a movie since, like, Empire Strikes Back.

Gwne's universe was fucking gorgeous. I cannot believe they actually managed to replicate the art style of her book that well. I want an entire Spider-Gwen movie that looks like that please.

Congrats. You made the big time.
www.nytimes.com

How a 14-Year-Old Came to Animate a Scene in ‘Across the Spider-Verse’

Preston Mutanga created a shot-for-shot version of the trailer with animated Lego characters. Then the producers asked him to work on the movie.
In December ... using his father's old computers, Mutanga recreated the trailer for "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse" shot for shot to look as if it belonged in a Lego world.

He shared his version of the trailer online. The quality of his self-taught craftsmanship quickly gained attention and reached Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the directors of "The Lego Movie" and two of the writer-producers of "Spider-Verse."

After deciding to include a segment in a Lego universe, Christina Steinberg, another of the film's producers, contacted Mutanga to ask him if he wanted to animate it.

Over several weeks, first during spring break and then after finishing his homework on school nights, Mutanga worked on the Lego sequence. Every other week, he would meet via video with Miller, who would check on his progress and provide detailed input.

Just saw the movie. I had a good time overall, though I have my issues. Mostly, it's a problem that all multiverse-style stories have: the scope is so unfathomable that it's a little hard to care at times. The interpersonal drama of the characters? That was all great. Miles' struggle to find himself and assert his right to live as such? Pretty good, though it does retread the first movie a little. The multiversal Spider-Man army, with their vaguely-defined technology, arbitrary rules and strange worldbuilding? That part lost me. The Spot also sucks. Like I get the idea of elevating this D-lister to world-shaking threat, that's fun. But he has no real relationship to any other character, he's just some guy. A walking plot device and nothing more.

Loved the movie, found the plot incredibly fun, but theres an observation I had that I feel like is open to interpretation but I'd prefer

Canon events feel like bullshit, but like, on purpose. It makes no sense for the theming of the movies that canon events are real, since the message of "anyone can be spiderman" doesn't really support the existence of fixed points like that.

From what I saw in the movie, in the two shown supposed "canon event" collapses, theres a lot of inconsistency of how they worked and suggestion that something else is going on. Miguels universe collapsed from what I can tell months to years after the canon was disrupted by miguel replacing his dead version, but Pavitr's universe started collapsing like 5 minutes later, and the hole causing it looked exactly like the spots holes, so I think its more likely thats what caused it.

And miguel calling miles a anomaly contradicts the idea that his dad needs to die for the universe to remain stable. By his logic, the peter of miles dimension dying and being replaced by an anomaly should have caused a collapse like he experienced, but it hasn't happened, and gwens dad quitting the force at the end of the movie should have also derailed the "captain spider person knows" dies canon event

The possibility that miguel is wrong is even brought attention to by gwen before she gets kicked out of the interdimensional spidey force, so I feel like thats the intent

Interested to see how they handle this in the next movie

Something that annoys me and makes me wonder if it's either something intentional the filmmakers want as a twist for the majority audience that knows nothing about comics in the next movie, or otherwise doesn't care because they wanted Spider-Man 2099 in as the villain of this plot and knew most of the audience wouldn't make the connection, is that canon events are extra bullshit because Miguel himself is not a Peter Parker variant.

He has no canon events matching up with everyone else! Assuming they haven't made up an entirely OC backstory for him, he is also a legacy hero living after the death of a previous Peter Parker Spider-Man who isn't bound to some abstract multiverse brand bullshit of every Spider-Man story having to be the same.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the people who made this film with so much care and attention to small details are probably familiar with Miguel's backstory lol

He has no canon events matching up with everyone else! Assuming they haven't made up an entirely OC backstory for him, he is also a legacy hero living after the death of a previous Peter Parker Spider-Man who isn't bound to some abstract multiverse brand bullshit of every Spider-Man story having to be the same.

I'm pretty sure Miguel's theory of canon is in fact bullshit precisely because Miles's dimension didn't evaporate when his alleged 'intended' Spider-man straight up died. Further, if it is true that Miles wasn't ever 'supposed' to be a Spider-man, then it would follow that none of the alleged 'canon' events are 'supposed' to happen to him either -- and yet one, of course, certainly has.

So there's a number of discrepancies at play here and the simplest answer is that the entire premise of 'canon events' is a nonsense to be dumpstered, precisely as Miles concludes.

I'm pretty sure Miguel's theory of canon is in fact bullshit precisely because Miles's dimension didn't evaporate when his alleged 'intended' Spider-man straight up died. Further, if it is true that Miles wasn't ever 'supposed' to be a Spider-man, then it would follow that none of the alleged 'canon' events are 'supposed' to happen to him either -- and yet one, of course, certainly has.

So there's a number of discrepancies at play here and the simplest answer is that the entire premise of 'canon events' is a nonsense to be dumpstered, precisely as Miles concludes.

Also he conflates his intrusion into another timeline with Miles being intruded upon. He's alarmingly blinkered.[/ISPOILER]

Back