Across The Spider-Verse

Well, that puts a damper on my mood. Even as a huge spider-Stan, I won't be seeing the 2nd part when it comes out next year.

I've already seen comments that abuse is good actually because the movie was so good. Can't believe we're hearing the same abuse apologia from the video game industry here.
I mean it obviously comes from the same group of people who like Art but don't care about the process because they'll never go through it themselves. The same kind of people who don't get why someone might want something changed "because it works for them". So you know the usuals about this kinda thing.

I saw a Tiktok making a joke (pre news breaking out) about the animation going "I haven't seen my family in days!" and the comments were like "you don't know what you're talking about" and all that. That the studio is great and cool and treat their workers right.

Then this news broke. How am I going to take Spider-Punk seriously when I know for a fact that his cool anarchist persona and radical animation style was created by abusing the animators? This is literally Red Dead Redemption 2 all over again for me - love the product, hate the abuse.

It's not a metaphor for capitalism, it is capitalism.

It's industry standard, unfortunately. Been that way for years, and will be until the animators unionize. Passion is just another opening for capitalism to exploit.

Not just the design: seeing her face in the few seconds she appears, it looks like the past months since the previous movie haven't been kind to her.

She's from a totally-not-evangelion setting. That should speak volumes about the emotional stability of everyone that lives there and how warped her backstory probably is.

House of Leaves, meet House of Spiders. :p

Regarding the animator abuse thing though, it's going to continue until animators stand up and unionize. They'd better do it soon too, because Marvel has been sending signals with the Secret Invasion opening I don't like at ALL.

If Japanese Spider-Man does make an appearance in Beyond, I wonder if he'll be animated or live action ?

I also hope to hear Dan Gilvezan in the next movie, or at least see his spiderman in there, or some reference to his spiderman, and his amazing friends. Same for Nicholas Hammond as well. Maybe a last minute change for christopher Daniel barnes to be in the sequel as well.

If tokusatsu Spidey wandered into one of these movies like the only human actor in a Muppet movie I would die

Watched it today. I liked it, but not as much as the first one which I feel had a much stronger sense of pacing and structure. Visually it was amazing and the performances were all pretty good but it also seemed very confused at times and was probably a bit too long for its own good. Politically it also had some very wtf moments (making your version of George Floyd or Michael Brown a murderous supervillain just feels very tasteless to me). Part of it I will admit is my own bias against plots that revolve or hinge on poor communication and misunderstanding which made the first half of the movie very frustrating to watch. Seeing all the alternate spider people was cool but it felt indulgent and distracting in a way the first movie never was since it sort of relies on you getting the reference. The whole idea of "canon events" is stupid but does make sense in the context of a narrative made by someone driven insane by grief and guilt. The ending was good and made me interested where this is going but at the same time was a bit drawn out. Every scene in the last half hour felt like they could have been the last scene. Another complaint I have is the score which has a lot less licensed rap/R&B/Hip hop stuff in favor of more generic orchestral/techno stylings for the action.

Can...can you explain what this means? I have stared at it for minutes now, and I can't parse who or what this is about or how it relates to the movie.
Early on in the movie we see a mural likely done by Miles eulogizing his uncle who was killed in the previous movie. The mural has the phrase rest in power painted underneath a popular phrase used in various anti racist protests against systemic oppression and police brutality faced by the black community in America. We even briefly see a Black lives matter sticker on miles school notebook to reinforce this idea. The problem is while the general sentiment is good I feel it's kinda tasteless to draw parallels between a violent supervillain assassin (who only objected to killing Miles in the last movie an obvious young boy when he found out it was his nephew.) And the everyday police violence directed against entirely innocent black people in America and across the globe.

Early on in the movie we see a mural likely done by Miles eulogizing his uncle who was killed in the previous movie. The mural has the phrase rest in power painted underneath a popular phrase used in various anti racist protests against systemic oppression and police brutality faced by the black community in America. We even briefly see a Black lives matter sticker on miles school notebook to reinforce this idea. The problem is while the general sentiment is good I feel it's kinda tasteless to draw parallels between a violent supervillain assassin (who only objected to killing Miles in the last movie an obvious young boy when he found out it was his nephew.) And the everyday police violence directed against entirely innocent black people in America and across the globe.

That mural was in Into, as well.

The only time I see people assume the mural is a George Floyd thing is either when they think spray paint murals or Rest in Power are new things made in his passing instead of a older tradition. The 42 universe had a Mural of Miles dad how does that connect him and George Floyd considering that whole situation. Also I don't even know how to explain the reach that Miles wanting to honor his uncle who died means that other people's dead relatives we also violent villains. And like a annoying thing people kept bringing up about Floyd was that he was imperfect and had a criminal record why does someone have to be perfect for mourning them to be valid. You are missing the forest for a tree.

The only time I see people assume the mural is a George Floyd thing is either when they think spray paint murals or Rest in Power are new things made in his passing instead of a older tradition. The 42 universe had a Mural of Miles dad how does that connect him and George Floyd considering that whole situation. Also I don't even know how to explain the reach that Miles wanting to honor his uncle who died means that other people's dead relatives we also violent villains. And like a annoying thing people kept bringing up about Floyd was that he was imperfect and had a criminal record why does someone have to be perfect for mourning them to be valid. You are missing the forest for a tree.

They didn't call it just a george floyd thing.

Alex called it an anti racist protest thing. Which it is.

And yeah, it is reasonable to be eh over using real life anti racism symbols for a guy that, as a character, is something the police pretend all black men are. Violent super villains.

Back