Across The Spider-Verse

I had completely forgotten that this was a two parter, so that confused me when I knew the next showing was in like 20 minutes and we weren't close to the finale, and then bam.

I think people complaining about Gwen's lack of development will be happy, but the one thing I'm super confused about is why Gwen isn't more worried about her father dying before the events of the movie.

Also, there seems to be semi-credible evidence of Gwen being trans, what with there apparently being a trans flag in Gwen's room and her dad wearing a trans pin.

I had completely forgotten that this was a two parter, so that confused me when I knew the next showing was in like 20 minutes and we weren't close to the finale, and then bam.

I think people complaining about Gwen's lack of development will be happy, but the one thing I'm super confused about is why Gwen isn't more worried about her father dying before the events of the movie.

Also, there seems to be semi-credible evidence of Gwen being trans, what with there apparently being a trans flag in Gwen's room and her dad wearing a trans pin.
I ...I don't really think she is trans. I mean, that flag says "protect trans kids," so I think that meant she wants trans kids to be protected. Also good eye because I did not spot that in the movie.

Last edited:
damn I'm going to watch this movie like 3 times in theaters

that shit was so fire I can't articulate how much I loved it

I've just finished it and have a lot to say but

Damn, I didn't think an entire movie could be sakuga, and here we are.

As far as Trans Gwen goes, I haven't seen the film yet but I have seen some of the merch and trailers and such and it looks like her design uses soft pink with light blue webbing in the gloves and hood internal, while last film the gloves were white with the pink webbed section on the arms in a less visible position (and iirc more of a blue-grey webbing?). It's subtle but making the colors a bit brighter and more prominent, combined with the white of the body, feels trans flag esque. Which I would call a total coincidence if not for the flag and pin in the film (and obviously could still be a coincidence given pink, white, and blue have always been her colors).

I will be very very surprised if they ever say outright she is canonically trans, but she does seem intended to be easily headcanon'd/seen as such for those of us looking for ourselves on screen. Trans-coded if you will.

I was so disappointed, I waited through the whole movie for the Gay Agenda to show up, the way everyone's been hyping them online made me think they were a breakout character, but I didn't see them once! /s

VERY GOOD MOVIE.

VERY GOOD.

GO. WATCH MOVIE. VERY GOOD.

EXCELLENT.

SO MANY SPIDERS AND THEY'RE ALL DELIGHTFUL.

ANIMATION BEAUTIFUL. FABULOUS ANIMATION. KICKS ASS. ART. 10/10

MUSIC ALSO GOOD.

STORY VERY GOOD.

CHARACTERS AND THEIR ARCS FANTASTIC.

HORRIFIED THIRD MOVIE IS 9 MONTHS AWAY. I WILL BE LIKE AN EXPECTANT FATHER UNTIL IT ARRIVES.

Sorry to the nerds who are mad that Miles has the best Spiderman movie.

(I'm not sorry.)

I will be very very surprised if they ever say outright she is canonically trans, but she does seem intended to be easily headcanon'd/seen as such for those of us looking for ourselves on screen. Trans-coded if you will.

I feel like that's the best possible way to handle a trans character.

I mean, I don't think most trans people walk around with a billboard over their head advertising they are trans. They're just... people. The status of sexual organs in relation to presented gender seems like information we really don't need to know, and I mean that in the most positive way possible.

If there's some kind of narrative reason why we would need to know this then cool, but... otherwise, if I was a writer, I would just write a trans person as a person. If i'm writing a trans woman, i'm just going to write... a woman.

But maybe it's also important, I don't know. I'm a straight white guy, I don't share the same type of identification with characters. I don't look for straight white guys to identify with. It's more circumstances or personality traits. I can just easily identify with Miles as a I can with Peter. But I also understand i'm healthily represented in general, so maybe if I didn't see as many straight white guys, I would start getting excited when I did see them? Gotta acknowledge it's something I can sympathize with, but not fully understand.

Random thoughts from Sunday Matinee.
  • Ouch.
  • Miguel is probably at least middling off-base in his conclusions and is way overdue for All The Therapy.
  • Gwen needs almost as much Therapy over the Daddy Issues. No wonder she bought into Miguel's madness to the degree she did.
  • The 'Secret ID Within Family' still causes all the headaches. If it was known Miles flaking normally involves running down muggers the Morales household would have rather less net stress.
  • Hobie? Brilliant on All The Levels.
  • The Spot? Great trajectory from Joke to DOOM!
  • I do hope Gwen and Peter B. have the sense not to take point on dealing with Miles.
  • For that matter, I hope Miles is willing to listen to Miles at least a little. Although I will laugh if he and Aaron were doing the (Anti-)Hero thing....

• Ouch.
  • Miguel is probably at least middling off-base in his conclusions and is way overdue for All The Therapy.
  • Gwen needs almost as much Therapy over the Daddy Issues. No wonder she bought into Miguel's madness to the degree she did.
  • The 'Secret ID Within Family' still causes all the headaches. If it was known Miles flaking normally involves running down muggers the Morales household would have rather less net stress.
  • Hobie? Brilliant on All The Levels.
  • The Spot? Great trajectory from Joke to DOOM!
  • I do hope Gwen and Peter B. have the sense not to take point on dealing with Miles.
  • For that matter, I hope Miles is willing to listen to Miles at least a little. Although I will laugh if he and Aaron were doing the (Anti-)Hero thing....
All of this sounds like anti-Miles to me.

I don't think that knowing that Miles fight criminals and supervillains on a daily basis, and the occasional joke turned humanoid transdimensional eldritch abomination with a personal beef against him, would decrease the Morales family's stress, quite the contrary.

I think she is, but she doesn't think she can stop it and she doesn't want to confront it so she just... Runs away (literally and metaphorically)

My thoughts:

I really love how the movie uses the IRL history of Miles Morale's Spiderman run to add a metatextual element to the story we are being told.
On screen, the story we are told is about an infinite multi-verse of worlds, each holding their own variation of Peter Parker, and each Peter Parker going through the same story with slight variations. Each "Canon Event" is something that has to happen or else the world ends.

Miles, therefore, is an anomaly because his world already had a Spiderman. Peter Parker already went through all his canon events, and that means Miles Morales is not bound by them. He is free to live his own story, and in doing so show the rest of the Spidermen that they can too.

And I love how this comments on the IRL history of Miles Morales and Spiderman AU comics in general.
Because there are a lot of different variations on the story of Spiderman. There's the cartoons, there's AU's, there's reboots. Millions of variations all telling the same story. And we have all these variations because these stories sell. Fans will always line up to read a new cover of "Spiderman's Greatest Hits". But that guaranteed audience also straightjackets the creators writing those stories. If Spider-Gwen misses a "Canon Event" then the comic can lose readers who came to the comic looking to read the same familiar story. And if too many of them leave then the comic might be cancelled.

And so IRL, every missed canon event represents a chance of the comic being cancelled, its world destroyed.

But Miles Morales? Out of all the hundreds of thousands of alternate Spider-men, he is the only one who wasn't written as an AU. It was a continuation. He was introduced to comics after Ultimate Spiderman had just wrapped up one of the most successful retellings of the Spider-man story. Peter Parker's death and Miles Morale's taking on the mantle were an acknowledgement that Ultimate Spider-man's story was over and that it was time to tell new stories.

And it sold like fucking gangbusters. Miles Morales is so popular that when his universe was destroyed Marvel Editorial had him moved to the main universe so they could keep selling his comic.

Miles Morales is the original anomaly. Not an AU, but a continuation and proof both in the movie and in real life that Spider-men don't need to be straightjacketed by the original's story.

Each "Canon Event" is something that has to happen or else the world ends.
This metatextual aspect of the story is slightly lost in translation in the French version, where instead they call it "Canvas events".

I think she is, but she doesn't think she can stop it and she doesn't want to confront it so she just... Runs away (literally and metaphorically)
I interpreted it as Gwen learning about it when she joined Miguel's interdimentional cop brigade, but by then her father was that guy who pulled a gun on her when she revealed her identity to him, so she doesn't care about his fate. (or at least tries to)

I'll be honest, seeing Spectacular Spider-Man on the big screen was not something I was expecting.

Him being half the height of everyone else was hilarious though.

Back