I recognize that I'm not going to convince you to vote against Gisena. I find Perfect Merger to be extremely tempting because of the FOREMOST LORE represented by eating the Arcanist. But the actual benefits of the blurb don't get me across the finish line:
I think the most basic thing for me is that Supreme CtF, with same arete spend, is stronger than Perfect Merger in a direct fight.

There are no sure-win options. Whatever the Maiden has prepared should not be underestimated. For the maximal immediate power which Hunger believes would most augment his chances, Close the Fist + All Three Signature Moves would be best. For efficiency, 02 is very attractive.

Perfect Merger is very strong but considerably less potent than Supreme Close the Fist. Countering the Maiden's apex Grace is amazing, but we haven't even seen her use her non-Grace assets beyond her native beauty. Remember how many prepared contingencies Dien had and he wasn't even a real Titled Foremost!

Of course, Perfect Merger has a lot of charm like potentially being able to counter Graces, or really weaken the Maiden with Nullity [though with the caveat that the Maiden has Sealing Protocols, which are Porcelain's grace that lets her resist all grace related effects, AND her own mastered Nullity + bunch of contingencies].

but overall, I think being more powerful right now is the winmore condition, vs splitting our power and actually weakening Hunger because you run out of Praxis juice.

I can see Perfect Merger possibly winning, since if Gisena can nullify enough of the Maiden's powerset even with her Sealing Protocol: Omega resistance to all grace effects or distract her with diplomacy, perhaps using her status as a former Sorc to taunt her and piss her off (Maiden is not as "advanced" as Gisena since Gisena can use Foremost Runes and she can't; maybe that's a viable vector for a social attack?).

Gisena could also nullify say, the resistance she put up vs Social attacks from Hunger who could maybe use that to attack (unless his weakened no RoW form is also weaker at social attacks, maybe he is relying on the Artful Thorn to attack or something, or we simply won't have the agility to react at that level anymore).

While maiden is distracted, the weakened Hunger might also seize an advantage in their concept battle (since RoW doesn't matter (does it buff Rank or something?) for concept fighting vs physical fighting), and maybe that will give Gisena enough of an advantage to finish the job despite being weaker than CtF Hunger.

But I still think that ultimately, it is better to not be a simp (despite CtF's +Simping). There's no reason to depend on others, when you can do it yourself. When the final boss is coming, I think it's cooler to step forward with your apprentice / heir and fight together to protect your kingdom rather than depend on someone else potentially solving everything for you.

There's also moderate ethical issues of subjecting Adorie and Augustine to unwilling merger, versus using Aobaru who is ok with it (hence we get no minuses to Aobaru loyalty), but really reason above is the main thing for me.

Like, we refused the giga powerful 02 who was Rank 15 etc so I feel meh on depending on something weaker than that lol.

Last edited:
*+++Versatility, ++Raw Power and the contest of dominions now shifts to Hunger's side.
hmm actually Vendetta base option already states that this will happen.

So I guess that's the wincon for Vendetta, nulling or distracting the Maiden so that Hunger, who is physically weakened due to no praxis, can instead get advantage in dominion contest while Gisena handles the fighting.

It remains to be seen how long she'll last against the maiden but 50 arete option should be pretty good.

That said it's still a little craven to hide behind her skirts at the final boss lol. The coolest scenes come when Hunger is all or nothing fighting, like vs Procyon or vs Vanreir.

Last edited:
This is the end of the quest, and CtF is as viable as other options. If every single one of them is immensely risky and low win rate with no sure wins and no way to avoid the fight, why not at least take the cooler one?

This is the end of the quest, and CtF is as viable as other options. If every single one of them is immensely risky and low win rate with no sure wins and no way to avoid the fight, why not at least take the cooler one?
I think Perfect Merger is cooler.

Hunger's Remittances once again show their value, those relationships he has created act to support him, Adorie and Gisena both get to shine, while Gisena in particular gets to live up to her full potential and literally overcome the Maiden who gave her only Nullity by exceeding her as a mage.

Hunger meanwhile overcomes the weakness of his first life, as his companions survive and he doesn't have to completely crush himself with a shattering blow.

At the same time Gisena can further mitigate the Apocryphal Curse, Hunger gains a buff against the Curse itself, and thereby Hunger's future and survival chances notably improve.

A Perfect Merger does every thing I want, all at once.

I really don't think that this has been established. The PM Fusion is as powerful as Hunger is now, but Hunger himself is falling off quickly. Vendetta's strategy explicitly avoids going All-in, but without Supreme CtF Hunger is left with an extremely limited Praxis-pool to draw from:

Vendetta asks Gisena to checkmate the Maiden in the contest of Domains, or else nullify each contingency that the Maiden has prepared. These contingencies include known Graces (Archsmith's Hammer, and I think Octarine posted a Grace that lets her punch a soldier and harm the General commanding their army) as well as unknown capabilities from the Realm of Daylight. The Maiden has explicitly simulated countless possible Advancement Paths that Hunger might follow, and has a counter for each of them:

One of these contingencies is described as her "final recourse". We did not grant Cat access to the Shattering Blow, but some extremely high level psychological warfare has to be expected, and is by nature much harder for Gisena to simply counterspell!

The contest of Dominions shifting to Hunger's side does little good if he is killed by the Maiden in the meantime!

I recognize that I'm not going to convince you to vote against Gisena. I find Perfect Merger to be extremely tempting because of the FOREMOST LORE represented by eating the Arcanist. But the actual benefits of the blurb don't get me across the finish line:
-Baseline Vendetta mentions the contest of Dominions, which an unappealing win-condition due to Hunger's Praxis exhaustion from Refinement of War

-PM's first ability boasts of generating minions on the level of Turn E!, but a taxidermied Verschlengorge was susceptible to the Maiden's Beauty. Minions are unlikely to provide combat support imo. Non-combatants will struggle to be relevant outside of the Army of the Shogun ability, but possibilities include some sort of Chains of Destiny repeat that could distract the Maiden, or maybe healing Hunger by reversing the runic wounds that were threatened during the Tower confrontation.

In either event, it's tough to see any number of Turn E!-level minions making a big difference at this level of ISH combat.

-The Season's Greetings defensiveness bonus is a very strong argument for PM Fusion! It could allow Gisena to provide a momentary distraction during close-quarters combat ideally without sacrificing herself and provide a symbolic resonance for the Domain of Battles to activate.
- - I will admit to being afraid that we spend 50A on PM, Gisena takes a hit for Hunger like the original Cat, and then Hunger has to use the Shattering Blow with no real Arete Bank left over.

-The Foremost Mitigation might allow for some kind of negotiation without Tyrant, but if the Maiden thinks she is winning then I'm unclear why she'd take a lesser victory. I'm open to brainstorming here.

-+1ISH RW is likely the bare minimum for Gisena to even participate in this fight. If the fusion had happened 9 months ago I'd be more optimistic about this component, but then the Maiden would have intel on Fusion!Gisena's abilities.

Essentially I just don't see a win condition with taking PM. The contest of domains and close combat are both ruled out by Praxis exhaustion, which undermines the chances for diplomacy. Gisena's own performance in close-quarters-combat has not been terribly impressive as far as I can recall, so it still seems like a win for the Maiden in 12 exchanges.

(I'm open to hearing a different vision of how this will play out, so I hope this reply hasn't come across too confrontational. Everybody else has gotten so distracted by the CYOAs that there's not much discussion of the vote options right now!)
The maiden seem to fight entirely using magic and buffs Perfect Merger buffs Gisena who is the ultimate counter to magic. Even just stripping away some the maidens combat buff graces should be sufficient to allow Hunger to renter the fight.

The Maiden is currently beating Hunger because she spent some indeterminate incredibly long period of time training and developing abilities specifically to counter Hunger. Perfect Merger elevates Gisena to Hunger's level in combat but since she has an entirely different set of skills, tactics and tells she should be able to fight the Maiden far more effectively.

Hunger is also fighting at a disadvantage since he immediately realized he'd straight up lose social combat and blinded himself to avoid it entirely a problem Gisena presumably can avoid since she species so heavily into mental stats and her very nature repels magic.

I'm not entirely sure who Turn E is but presumably he/she is strong!

Vendetta is specifically called out as the best option in terms of improving Hungers odds. If you're worried about Hunger dying, it's the option of choice.

I'm completely unsure how it works mechanically but at this point of the quest I'm not even sure how the characters are fighting each other except in the loosest of senses.

But I still think that ultimately, it is better to not be a simp (despite CtF's +Simping). There's no reason to depend on others, when you can do it yourself. When the final boss is coming, I think it's cooler to step forward with your apprentice / heir and fight together to protect your kingdom rather than depend on someone else potentially solving everything for you.

There's also moderate ethical issues of subjecting Adorie and Augustine to unwilling merger, versus using Aobaru who is ok with it (hence we get no minuses to Aobaru loyalty), but really reason above is the main thing for me.

Like, we refused the giga powerful 02 who was Rank 15 etc so I feel meh on depending on something weaker than that lol.
The whole point of close the fist is that Hunget can't do it himself though? He has to fusion dance with Aobaru and risk opening up a crack in his memetic defense since Aobaru has already been compromised. Plus one of the abilities it grants screws us over in the epilogue.

It's not enough to win once you have to win every time. Close the Fist let's us win this fight, maybe 2 more, Perfect Merger helps us win every fight in the future as well.

Last edited:
Hunger is also fighting at a disadvantage since he immediately realized he'd straight up lose social combat and blinded himself to avoid it entirely a problem Gisena presumably can avoid since she species so heavily into mental stats and her very nature repels magic.
Beauty isn't a magic stat, it's just a high ISH effect with superhuman APP. I think Gisena can probably deal with that, but her will stat shouldn't be higher than Hunger's. Hunger did also engage in social combat and force multiple wins vs the Maiden in this update (see her damage from his outfit, or from him attacking her fears about him being a Tyrant vs actual reality of situation), where she took damage because Domain of Battles converts social attacks to actual damage.

Rn she's investing power in stopping social attacks from Hunger, which she might not have to do vs Gisena because Gisena doesn't have Battles making social attacks do actual damage or Hunger's many Cha boosting effects.

I think you're being very optimistic about how much of Maiden's powerset counts as magic for Nullity too. Remember she has explicit anti-Grace power that makes all Grace effects weaker vs her, and she also has her own Nullity, and she has infinite artifacts from Archsmith's Hammer in her Sanctum etc because we voted for her to have all those Graces plus infinite time. There is at least one relevant Grace (Mental Apex Will save or you become a mindcontrolled puppet) that Hunger is better at defending than Gisena is because it is a Will save.

Last edited:
Finally, here is an alternative Cut Through build. It deviates even earlier from Canon.

Beginning at the Heart Vote, we go for Force Unto. This has somewhat unfortunate knock-on effects in social combat for the next few updates as Hunger gets stomped by Gisena. Alas. We're at 100% HP after the pirate fight*, and we next go for Lord Reaper in Praehihr. Hunger goes for Scent of Prey in Age and Treachery, picking up a 0.75 Arete Bonus (+0.75 Arete). Force Unto's regeneration means Hunger's basically at full HP after the fight anyway. Letrizia does still have major injuries though.

We stick with the Mire Wolf in Hunter Hunted, but it's probably worth noting that Hunger has full HP, far greater physical stats going into that fight (3 extra Echoes worth of stats) plus Scent of Prey retroactively improving the monster pick. Hunger doesn't suffer from Chill of the Grave as a result, and grabs Echo of the Forebear (x2) + Undying Echo + Undying Vanguard. Letrizia's injuries are fixed, plus Hunger is now 5 Echoes ahead of canon. We grab +0.5 Arete in Wolf Moon. We go for Risky in Synchronization Complete (Letrizia has Undying Vanguard to protect her anyway). We grab Sorcerous Advancement I, Dominion (Life) and Chief Dominion in Moment's Reprieve**. Hunger has effective Rank ~3.75. Note that Hunger will have started buffing Gisena from this point onward.

By The Solitary Moon, this build has majorly more combat power compared to canon. We go for Aggressive and +0.1 Rank. We now have +10% effectiveness, +10% Damage, +10% Arete and 'vastly improves Rank Gains' compared to canon. We are at -1.75 Arete relative to canon. Between Gisena, greater available combat power, we instead Vanquish The Pursuers in War and Wind (made far easier by Scent of Prey), Keep Up Momentum in The Winnowing Garden (-1.25 Arete), and grab Stranglethorn in Cutting Through (we also pick Push In Further, putting us at -0.75 Arete relative to canon).

Agressive's +Rank from encounters should have procced like three times at this point. Hunger should be at around Rank 4. Note that Push In Further gives 'a compounding advantage for each Red option selected'. For Promenade of Glories, said Red Options are.. Knight Legion and Veterancy. It's a stomp in our favor, obviously. Given the nature of Push in Further we'll probably take on the Magus/Dreadbeast as a bonus encounter instead of a social pick. We are now at -0.25 Arete relative to canon (but note the +10% Arete Gain within the temple) and 2 Red Options selected. We Hunt into Evening (3 Red Options) with + 1 Pick next, purchasing Dominion (War) and Preeminence (War) while reserving two picks for later. Hunger has like 4.5 effective Rank now for warfare.

It's really a shame the next Red option in Red of Sky and Fang is the canonically easier choice of Hunter Trio (4 Red options), and we only get 2+2 picks, same as with the Resident Outriders. We grab Quickening at this point, trading a pick for 2 Arete and putting us at a solid +6.75 Arete relative to canon (closer to +9 with the +10% Arete gain mod). At least Hunger doesn't have any complications whatsoever since it's an easier fight. Hunger's gonna Study the Blood (buffing Gisena even more in the process) in Meditations on the Sword (Cumulative 5 Red Options). By Throne and Alter, we're significantly ahead of canon, so we can Buff Gisena again (6 Red Options), grabbing Vigor Itself and Exalted Spirit. Hunger will obviously Cut Through (7 Red options, +~25% net effectiveness) in Once and Future, while Sublime Attainment is probably free at this point due to buffs(~ +11 Arete relative to canon).

Entering Honor Unstained, Hunger actually has identical social attributes to canon Hunger, mostly due to Preeminence (War)'s +All Stats. He also has Gisena and far superior combat attributes compared to canon, and effective Rank ~4.8 (versus ~4.3) due to Preeminence: War. He goes for R-Type #1, Preparation: Focus and Preparation: Resolve. At this point Hunger's at ~+14 Arete relative to canon, has +36% effectiveness [including no Chill of the Grave penalty], 9 Red Options picked, no [Lingering Paralysis] penalty, an extra High Sorceress Gisena available. He purchases Uttermost (-7 Arete, ~+7 Arete relative to canon). He grabs a weakened version of Punctured Soul, I assume the net effect is to reduce the effect from Devastating to Moderate.

We grab Slice Fate in Impunity (same Arete relative to canon), which doesn't have any benefits within this build but does provide massively improved +% survivability going forward. We'll keep with the canonical Surgecraft as a magic system choice, and besides without the Evening Sky Vertices are an even worse option. Hunger acquires Cut Through, Zweihander and Edeldross as in canon. Note that Inksky wouldn't be an option on account of Evening Sky not being taken, and Quickwater is unlikely to exist since Hunger, put mildly, less practical. Fullmight might have been an option though. Given Hunger has a maximum of two conditions at this point the Hot Springs should be able to cure both, given canon rolls + Slice Fate existing.

Letrizia has many more buffs so far. She has both Sharpbright and is the Devouring Sorceress! Yet she probably won't be relevant anytime soon. Hunger goes for Offensive Bias in High Glades (~+20% Effectiveness, cumulative 10 Red Options +2 Arete). Odds are superior to canon because we have a significantly more synergistic and combat-orientated build plus the above modifiers. Scent of Prey also allows Hunger to rapid-farm targets, too. Incidentally, we never meet Aeira here. Whoops! Hunger's pretty Youth and Vigor in this build anyway..

It's really a shame none of the options in Promenade of Glories II are a Red option. No bonus! Anyway, selection of +Arete participation bonus and the +10% Arete gain mod should bring us up to ~+3 Arete relative to canon. We purchase Renaissance Woman in A Wind Full of Knives, because, it's like, Stage 2 mitigation. Grab mitigation always (Net 0 Arete relative to canon). To Battle's Close has another buff to the build: Another Red option! We are now at 11. We don't purchase a Stance here (+7; ~+8 Arete). We'll probably finish up Vigor & Fierce Quickening (~+15 Arete). Our final Red option is Scorched Earth. Gisena's a Renaissance Woman now, her ultimate (honestly probably not even her ultimate) is just going to flat out end the Temple story there and then (Hunger is at around Rank ~5.3; He has a +50% Rankmod at this point).

We'll probably build up to All-Defeating Stance and grab Assault Halo from In Wake of Silence, and grab Preeminence - Passion at some point so Ruling Ring transformation is available whenever we're read to deal with the Ringwar (Hint: By Cutting Through). Most likely it will be after acquiring a highly-discounted Once and Future I. Elixir would be rushed with this build since it's the only magic system available aside from Bloodcasting, so acquiring the Forebear's blade's trinity-equivalent will take quite some time.

Overall, while very powerful the build takes a long time to truly shine. After Elixir it does have effective Stage 2.5**** mitigation to Apocryphal on top of 0.5 from All-Defeating/Magic-Defeating (effective Stage 3 Mitigation), so our journey is indisputably far safer. It's also even more 'up your face' than the original Hunger, and if it meets enemies that can't be Cut Through/Nullified it's in serious trouble. The build isn't all that different from canon, actually, since we didn't really invest into the Evening Sky until towards the end of the Temple anyway..

Endgame-wise, Hunger will likely scale by training the Praxis repeatedly as opposed to grinding Pillars of Evening procs, then applying the Praxis back onto his build multiplicatively.

* It's not significant since we chose to fight the Pirate anyway, but with 1 less Charisma, the Pirate Fight is most likely an autofight as opposed to a choice. It's also possible that Hunger may get +Arete from fighting, but that seems unlikely.
** We were not offered Chief Dominion in Moment's Repreive, but between Hunger following a more blood-based build generally and the Evening Sky not existing as one of Hunger's panoply, it's reasonable to say that Hunger would have gotten those as build vote options. Plus he has Scent of Prey to shape his build as needed.
*** With Chief Dominion: Blood available from the start of the Temple, Gisena's probably gotten like 2/3 extra bloodbuffs over canon.
**** Hunger would need to get to Bloodcasting Rank 8 somehow, most likely with Crimson Flare + Once and Future. Both upgrades are desirable so it's no biggy.

(~1463 Words)

Last edited:
Just going to jump in here myself, because while I believe I have seen a lot of discussion on my main point, I don't think you've ever commented on it.

Fuck Hour Of Destiny.

I'm currently voting for High Merger under Closing the Fist, because I vastly prefer having Hunger handle this to having to sacrifice anyone else, and slightly dislike relying on Gisena again. I wish there were four super moves available so that if we reach a point I actually feel confident in us getting 50 Arete, I could vote to pick three of them and still avoid Hour of Destiny. But there aren't, and although it's technically stronger I personally feel Supreme Merger is thus something I actively want less than High Merger. So, if we do reach a point where Hunger won't kill himself reaching for the most expensive options, I'll be switching over to Gisena's Perfect Merger, because I can't justify sticking to a 25 Arete option on the final vote when we could actually get a 50 Arete one.

nyway, selection of +Arete participation bonus and the +10% Arete gain mod should bring us up to ~+3 Arete relative to canon.
the Aggressive/conservative choice only affects Hungers mindset/arete gain for exploring the temple and, I believe only lasts until Hunger shifts tacts due to it failing him; since he still goes on Vacation in your plan, I think he'd be shifting tacts there (though I suppose that's probably mostly to stick to the canonical route and its events, not because your version of Hunger is shaken by the vanreir fight?)?

the Aggressive/conservative choice only affects Hungers mindset/arete gain for exploring the temple and, I believe only lasts until Hunger shifts tacts due to it failing him; since he still goes on Vacation in your plan, I think he'd be shifting tacts there (though I suppose that's probably mostly to stick to the canonical route and its events, not because your version of Hunger is shaken by the vanreir fight?)?
Pretty much canon-sticking yeah, although in theory the build should have enough power to forcefully blitz the Temple without going to the Hot Springs to recuperate. If we ignore the meta-loss of Arete acquisition obtainable/obtained from going there and returning (~50 Arete over more than 10 updates) Hunger could probably just pick any two of [Once and Future, Cut Through, All-Defeating, Renaissance Woman] and forcefully blitz the remainder of the Temple with raw power.

Red's Build Adjustment
(only dark maroon options were taken so far)

Legend: Arete is A, Picks are P [so 7 Arete, 2 Pick choice is abbreviated as 7A2P]

Part 1
A Far Bastion

As usual, Hunger chooses to Investigate the Main Entrance. The chosen build option is
[ ] The Barest Cut,
which takes a higher level of offense and +STR, +AGI -2 CON relative to canon and saves 2 Arete.

Hunger proceeds with the canonical choices until War and Wind.

As per WOG, we would have survived the initial fight with the Knights, but with more injuries than
canon thanks to no undying Echo.

In War and Wind, Hunger is shaken by his close brush with death, and chooses to Wait and Hope,
meditating on his past battles [- 1P for the Wurm fight, + 1A]

He develops Peerless Shroud [2A, 2P], gaining ++Prot and +Cha and good esoteric defense,
and losing 2x Echoes
[- STR, - AGI, -4 CON relative to canon]

The Winnowing Garden:

We have Thousand Cuts + Opal / Iridescence making up for no Undying Echo and -2 Echo of the Forebear,
so I believe this Hunger performs relatively well and manages to kill the Wurm.

He has 3P and 7.35A after the fight, which he invests into Ruinous Valor - Einhander.
[+5 Con, +5 Strength, power of Ruin scales with strength which works well with Thousand Cuts and
Einhander is the better combination thanks to enhanced range + lowered cost of Forebear Blade specials]

[canon was at 6.35A]

At this point, the build is +1 Strength ahead of canon, and -4 AGI -2 CON -0.2 Rank behind because they
got a lot of Echoes this update.

I don't think we are actually weaker than canon since Thousand Cuts + Ruinous Valour is a pretty great
combo even with our lesser stats and we have Opal / Iridescence protections.

Promenade of Glories

We take Gisena, since the Evening Sky can now withstand a full strength Nullity blast thanks to
Iridescence. Because of this + the esoteric protections we have, the Magus should fall easier than
canon since we aren't disabled by Nullity.

Hunger picks [] Seize the Day instead of Veterancy, since Veterancy doesn't mod Tyrant proc odds and
he has more tools vs the Magus.

We spend 2A to meet Dame Gabrielle Fairbright. Thanks to Hunger's +Cha over canon, his social
performance exceeds canon.

The main risk I can identify is her identifying Hunger as a weak person and trying to arrange the party
or give us tactical advice for our own good, which would proc Tyranny. However, thanks to our build havingg
pretty damn good performance vs the Magus because of esoteric protections / being able to withstand
Nullity and Hunger having more charisma, I think it is relatively less risky
[~Medium risk strategy, which succeeded initially with the Caravan]

We have 4P and 13.5A.

The changed nature of the encounter, since we meet Lady Fairbright mid-fight,
counts as a social encounter, which should qualify to unlock Philosopher's Wreath as Gisena
chats up Dame Fairbright and we share information about our magics.

Hunger takes Philosopher's Wreath [7A2P], gaining +Int, +Wis and +Cha and becoming the Warden Sorcerer, developing
the grace Perfecting Blade [+Str, +Agi, +Con, +Int] and regeneration of all wounds within >1 hour.

The other two picks are spent on Echoes of the Forebear, and 2 Arete on Undying Echo.

At this point, we have 0.2 less rank than canon, and +4 strength, -1 Agi, +1 Con, +2 Int, +1 Wis and
+2 Cha more while Hunger can keep up his transformation (~8 hours). In addition, Dame Fairbright
temporarily joins us for the Temple and Gisena gets the Philosopher's Wreath bonus to developing her magic.
Since Hunger is a Sorcerer too now, we should be able to benefit from her research and, with augmented
Int, help out when real stakes are present.

Hunger's strategy for dealing with Dame Fairbright is to honestly admit his curses to her, and offer
his help and newly developed buffing ability with Philosopher's Wreath, though he won't prioritise
helping her specifically since Tyrant + Gisena is more loyal.

She is relatively reasonable and he just had a good showing vs the Magus, so I think this
will work and she'll try to consciously avoid triggering Tyranny. She should
know more about the Inner Temple so will probably appreciate allies.

Characterisation wise, Hunger is doing this trip to progress and attain mitigation. He decides with
his new +Wisdom that it's better to not quibble too much on material rewards as long as Fairbright also
buffs the party with her bloodline ability and is ok giving the ring to her if she commits to offering
him mitigation.

By the next update, Hunger has 7.77A.

He picks the Gisena socialisation option which also helps her develop her Sorcery, and picks +1 pick for
the next encounter.

As per canon, the party encounters the Resident Outriders. Hunger feels Guilty afterwards - with
the wisdom of a philosopher, can't he do better than doom this civilisation? Gabrielle's inherent
goodness causes him further conflict.

He has ~11.5A as of Meditations on the Sword.
He purchases Evening Gown (-7A -2P), converts a pick to 2A which is
banked (one time offer), and spends the remaining pick on an Echo.

Evening Gown is changed to instead offer Hunger his Second Coalesence since he is already a Sorcerer.
Hunger aims for a grace that can offer healing to his companions, perhaps to assuade his Guilt.
Between him and Dame Fairbright's assistance, they should be able to fix up Verschlengorge a little more.
The extra party member also allows for smoother rotations

After the battle with the Green Knight, he takes Fall of Night since Thousand Cuts build + einhander
really appreciates the blade-wind buffs.

We're at 7.4A banked. Thanks to the temporary alliance with Fairbright, we're good to go for raiding
the temple.

We already have an OP party member, so there's no need for Gisena to take up all the slack. She
takes Grand Nullification instead to further mitigate curses [-2A]. Vanreir is looking for both us
and Fairbright, but we're travelling together so he'll come upon us sooner.

Hunger attempts to use Dialogue[-2A], he has more CHA than base Hunger thanks to Philosopher's Wreath
+ Evening Gown so this should be fairly doable. With the help of Fairbright, the party barely ekes out
a win over Vanreir.

At this point, we have 4A {assuming we genned ~0.6}

Hunger claims Feat: Kinslayer from Vanreir to hit Rank 5, but is Truly Maimed (with the regen from Perfecting
Blade + healing focused 2nd Grace + Fairbright buffs substituting for the lack of Blood domain and Ring).

We're at 7.7A.

I got a little burned out and unsure how to take this in the future, but this build got to clearing Vanreir.

The main goal for me, was to exploit Philosopher's Wreath synergy by having a large number of Sorcerers in the party.
However, we need a good chance to take Philosopher's Wreath and until then need to survive mostly on our sword. Fairbright helps a
lot with the risks and also qualifies for Philosopher's Wreath buffs, so I spent most of my time thinking of a possible social strategy to work
with her.

The one I felt was most viable was to perform better vs the chosen foe than canon Hunger, and have more social skills to give a better impression. From that base, Hunger will honestly and proactively admit his Curses to her, but offer buffing with the Wreath as long
as she consciously attempts to avoid triggering Tyrant. I feel like that should cover the "most likely" scenario that she gives Hunger well meaning advice or takes major actions without tipping Hunger, that could proc Tyranny, if she agrees. On her side, we know she lost to Vanreir and she should be aware that there are much stronger Immortals in the Temple, so there should be motivation on her side to cooperate too.

I regret not being able to take Rune King when the option came up, but otherwise we're progressing at a good clip so far.

Beauty isn't a magic stat, it's just a high ISH effect with superhuman APP. I think Gisena can probably deal with that, but her will stat shouldn't be higher than Hunger's. Hunger did also engage in social combat and force multiple wins vs the Maiden in this update (see her damage from his outfit, or from him attacking her fears about him being a Tyrant vs actual reality of situation), where she took damage because Domain of Battles converts social attacks to actual damage.

Rn she's investing power in stopping social attacks from Hunger, which she might not have to do vs Gisena because Gisena doesn't have Battles making social attacks do actual damage or Hunger's many Cha boosting effects.

I think you're being very optimistic about how much of Maiden's powerset counts as magic for Nullity too. Remember she has explicit anti-Grace power that makes all Grace effects weaker vs her, and she also has her own Nullity, and she has infinite artifacts from Archsmith's Hammer in her Sanctum etc because we voted for her to have all those Graces plus infinite time. There is at least one relevant Grace (Mental Apex Will save or you become a mindcontrolled puppet) that Hunger is better at defending than Gisena is because it is a Will save.
Presumably the maiden's stats come from her graces which should be vulnerable to nullity.

Gisena has always been better at social than hunger and Perfect Merger definitely isn't going to make her any worse at it. I think even without it she has more Cha than Hunger?

I think Gisena avoids the anti-grace effect by using foremost magic runes instead of graces now.

Presumably the maiden's stats come from her graces which should be vulnerable to nullity.

Gisena has always been better at social than hunger and Perfect Merger definitely isn't going to make her any worse at it. I think even without it she has more Cha than Hunger?

I think Gisena avoids the anti-grace effect by using foremost magic runes instead of graces now.
1) She had infinite training time so they're probably natural. Sorcerer stat bonus isn't that big per Coalescence, and most Graces only gave like +30 stats in Seram system even if they specialised in it, and Seram +s are worth less than our +s. Plus, her ISH is on par with Hunger's highest ISH (battles), so Gisena Nullity needs to affect things of around that ISH to matter. Not sure if it does.

2) Gisena doesn't have Blood Halo's ability to convert social attacks into actual damage.

Even if she has infinite training time, she'd need an actual mechanism by which she'd raise her stats that high. Given the only system she has are Graces, the results would be from Graces. As for the power, she's got every Grace, an absolutely maximised Sealing Protocol and an infinite amount of time for both to escalate, so it's extremely possible that Nullity would ablate away at least some of them.

Not that it matters, Gisena wouldn't be affected since she can just set up memetic filtration mechanisms with her Graces.

Fanwork#3400 words

Damn Hot Egg​

Fanwork#2300 words

Name And Need​

After a fight like that, and then the dark ritual to create the ghoul, I was just about totally drained, physically and, like, spiritually or however it worked with pressure. So I just sat there, watching with morbid fascination as the ghoul digested its meal, feeling all my wounds ache, and trying to think of how I was going to explain this to Clifford when I got back. There was another dark ritual I could perform, a much easier and faster one, that would give the ghoul the blush of life, hide its undead nature, but that would still leave me with an extra big feral giant, or I guess tame giant now. I'd probably need to clothe it if I was going to bring it into town, to give it at least a semblance of civility. Hopefully I could find some that fit it around this castle. Maybe I could just say that I found it alone up here, and that it was peaceful right off the bat?

I thought about it for a while, letting myself heal. My pressure recovered in just a handful of minutes, and I started feeling better physically another half hour-ish after that, so I got up and performed the false life ritual on the ghoul. This one was mostly just chanting in tongues, but I did need to anoint the ghoul's brow with three drops of living blood, which took some climbing and a prick to my left pinky. The effect was immediate, the ghoul's black lips and gray skin returning to the red and pink they held before I'd slain it. The ghoul rumbled and watched me curiously, wiping its forehead with a finger and licking the blood off, noticing the change in its appearance and emanating an inquisitive feeling through the empathic bond.

"We're going somewhere else soon, and I need to make you presentable or else they might attack." I said, attempting to direct the same information down the bond. "I'm going to go look for some clothes for you." I felt acceptance add to the ghoul's curiosity, which was good enough for me.

The castle was big of course, but considering it was built at quadruple scale it was actually surprisingly small, and quite simple to navigate, essentially just a ring of eight rooms and hallways, plus four hallways that lead to a central courtyard that had gone totally wild. I didn't explore the yard very thoroughly, since I didn't expect to find anything clothing-like, but I did find a large (though not giant-sized) hen nesting out there, sitting on a whole clutch of solid gold eggs. I couldn't leave her behind after I saw that, but I didn't have anything to carry her or the eggs with, so I'd have to come back.

I spent more time searching the actual rooms, though, quite a while even, a lot of that just trying to open up giant-sized wardrobes and drawers and whatnot that probably haven't been used in ages. Eventually I just started cutting shit apart since my pressure blade was sharp enough to do it and it's not like anyone was going to be using this castle anymore, and that made things go a bit faster. I did find a good amount of clothes, albeit all old and moth-eaten, but given how the ghoul was even bigger than the other giants, and had a gut that was more than half as wide as it was tall with how distended it was, I realized that basically none of it would come close to fitting. The only thing that seemed like it could work was a truly enormous dress, stored alongside a bunch of giant-sized jewelry, like it was for a wedding or something. It was full of holes, but unless I wanted to try and sew together some blankets or curtains it was the only option. As I was folding up the dress to carry, the whole castle shook, and I remembered that Clifford mentioned cloudbean stalks being short-lived enough to just wait for them to die back. The one I'd climbed to get up here must be approaching the end of its life. I needed to get the hen, the ghoul, and get back down to the ground.

I snatched a couple pieces of jewelry, quickly wrapped them up in the dress, ran back out to the courtyard, grabbed the hen (who was surprisingly willing to be picked up), then ran back to where I left the ghoul. It was standing now, its abdomen much smaller than before even if it was still gigantic. Sensing my hurry, it was already standing by the hole in the floor the beanstalk dug out. The tunnel of leaves was already starting to wilt and yellow, and was progressing with visible speed, so there was no time to waste. I hopped down the hole with the gown and chicken under my arms, and the ghoul followed suit. I'd never sky-dived in my previous life, and as I fell from the cloud-portal, I thought that was probably a reasonable choice. It was pretty terrifying. Even with how much more self-control I had lately it was nearly impossible to keep calm enough to navigate towards the beanstalk and start slowing my fall. I had to let go of the clothes and the hen, though the former probably wasn't going to be especially damaged from the fall and the latter was able to glide on her wings. I did manage to get a couple pressure blades into the beanstalk and start arresting my momentum after a couple seconds, while the ghoul collided with the stalk head-on.

The ghoul tried to grab onto the stalk to slow down as well, but started a second too late, and didn't manage to come to a full stop before colliding with the ground and leaving a bit of a crater next to the stalk's base. I managed to come to a stop a couple hundred feet above the ground, then carefully slid down the rest of the way, finding where the dress had landed on top of the trees and watching the ghoul crawl out of its crater and start to heal the damage it took from the fall. By the time I reached the ground, it was fully recovered, though it'd lost some of the contents of its stomach going from how it was again significantly reduced in size, though still as bulbous as a severe beer belly. The false life I'd given it had also broken, overwhelmed by the sudden and massive bodily harm. I quickly redid the ritual, noticing that the ghoul's body seemed thicker and softer compared to the hard muscle it had when I first disguised its unlife, which I guess is where some of its meal went.

After I fixed it up, I directed it through the bond to go and collect the dress and jewelry while I looked for the hen. It took a while, with the cloud-portal closing, the cloud dissipating, and the stalk yellowing and collapsing to the ground in the meantime. In the end it was more so the hen who found me, fluttering down from a tree I walked under while searching. I made my way with the hen back to the westward road and tugged on the ghoul through the bond, guiding it towards me. When it emerged from the woods, it was wearing the dress, which hung down to the middles of its thighs, as well as the jewelry, an unadorned golden chain and ring. It gave the surprisingly effective impression of some kind of desperate refugee, which might help once we're in sight of the west gate. It was sometime in the early afternoon by now, though the road was still empty, presumably since the gate was still closed or else only just now reopened, and as the three of us walked towards the city, I considered what I would call the ghoul and the hen. Maybe I didn't strictly need a name for either, but it was starting to bother me that I didn't. "I think I will call you...Kwiat." I said to the hen, since it was the name of a chicken in a story I had been reading before I ended up in this place. "And you...hm." I turned to the ghoul, who was looking at me with that ever-curious gaze, "How about Lambent?" The ghoul giggled at that and I could feel acceptance and even some excitement through the bond. I wasn't totally sure why I felt the word worked, but I did.

Just as Lambent looked back up at the road ahead of us, I got a sense of apprehension from it, which kept up as we continued walking, until we encountered some riders coming westward, long guns at the ready. I could feel their pressure brush against mine, and see them feel it as well. If it came to blows, despite being evokers, it wouldn't end well for them, but I hoped it wouldn't escalate to that. "Halt! Halt! By the command of the Countess Dogectina, halt!" One of the two shouted.

I stopped, reaching down to grab a hold of Kwiat, while Lambent quickly dropped to its knees with an earthshaking thud, then lowered its head to the ground in supplication. "Alright, we've halted."

The two riders, guardsmen presumably, seemed surprised that we had acquiesced so easily. "Uh, a giant-- this giant, was spotted approaching Albucole from the walls. Her-- Its exceptional size and demeanor called for us to investigate. You're Hatty, right? The lieutenant mentioned during shift change that you had gone to check out the cloudbean early this morning. What's going on with..." He gestured sweepingly to indicate Lambent as a whole. "This?"

I shrugged "Well, honestly I'm not entirely sure? I went up, fought some giants, and then there she was, standing over the portal. She's not hostile as you can see, and she seems to have taken a liking to me. I've dubbed her Lambent, since she seems to lack the malice of the other giants. I wonder if she might be some kind of atavistic throwback, to when the giants weren't feral? I don't know if there was ever such a time."

The two guards looked at each other for a moment, then to Lambent, then back to each other, then back to me, before the other responded. "Fair enough. Still, this is a pretty big anomaly--"

"Literally!" The other added with a chuckle.

"Literally. The Countess will want to talk to this 'Lambent', and to you too probably. Will you follow us to the keep?"

"I, uh, don't actually know if she can talk?" I looked over to Lambent, which raised its head to look back.

"Luh-lombuunt...n-nooo taalk," It croaked out with some difficulty, struggling to form the right phonemes and find the correct timing.

"Yeah, I don't think conversation is feasible. Not yet at least. But yeah, we'll go with you. How are we getting her into the city? She's too big to fit through the gate, even lying down, and the wall is too tall for her to safely climb over."

"That is a good question." The one guard said, looking at the other again.

"He won't like it, but Earthshaker will probably have to get off his lazy ass and make some stairs for her." The other replies with a shrug.

With that, the five of us continued back to the city. The guards, who I learned were named Gerold and Brandon, left us to wait at the west gate while they went and got Earthshaker, or Marse as he was properly named. They returned with him about an hour later, as the Sun was falling from late afternoon to early evening, and it took the evoker another hour-ish to build up the momentum to raise up a Lambent-sized set of marble stairs from the ground. After a rather tense crossing-over, with Marse holding the marble together with his evocation all the way through just to make sure nothing went wrong, he escorted us to the keep while Gerry and Brandon stayed at the gate, much to our new guide's chagrin.

The walk to the keep was quiet, Marse evidently not being in the mood to make friends, which I could understand. Lambent obviously couldn't fit inside the keep, so instead we waited another long while outside the inner walls, until a little after sunset, when the Countess and her attendants came out to greet us. I was a bit tired by now, probably on account of having not slept even a little last night, getting into an intense 1-versus-4 fight to the death, and then falling several hundred feet, so I didn't pay too much attention. I did feel the Countess's pressure and judged it about equal to mine, though there was a quality to it which I realized Gerry, Brandon, and Marse's possessed as well that was distinct from mine, which was probably because they were evokers rather than accretionists.

She could probably tell that I was having trouble focusing, since she didn't talk for too long before telling me that with the Season of War coming soon she'd be preparing her levy to send to join Duke Sablegard's army, and that I and Lambent would be part of that. That seemed reasonable to me, at least in my semi-somnolent state, so I agreed as long as I could keep Kwiat with me as well, which the Countess obliged me. I also asked if she could find a place for the three of us to stay in the meantime, which she again provided, having Marse open up a cave into the side of the hill on which the keep sat. It was a bit weird, camping next to Lambent, but the false life ritual gave it an amount of body warmth and a reasonably realistic heartbeat, so I was still able to eventually fall asleep.

Last edited:
Even if she has infinite training time, she'd need an actual mechanism by which she'd raise her stats that high. Given the only system she has are Graces, the results would be from Graces. As for the power, she's got every Grace, an absolutely maximised Sealing Protocol and an infinite amount of time for both to escalate, so it's extremely possible that Nullity would ablate away at least some of them.

Not that it matters, Gisena wouldn't be affected since she can just set up memetic filtration mechanisms with her Graces.
I think this is backwards. The Maiden's Grace is the source of her various supernatural effects. It is by mimicking her perfection that Sorceresses gain magical powers, and The Maiden was the first to walk that path.

The Maiden was simply so talented that things like casting fireball came easy to her. When a Sorceress gets a Stat Boost by following suit, that's representative of becoming more like the Maiden's default state.

Presumably a similar thing is true for Beauty: the Maiden is just naturally banging. (And, crucially, the Maiden is canonically never banging.)

I refuse to write stories set in the real world, but this is a pretty interesting set up.

[ ] Fable's Door -
[ ] Final Frontier -

Become a superior to Doctor Doom and Lex Luthor, which in and of itself obviates the need for any wealth purchases. Unless you're about to die due to a lack of wealth in the next few days there really isn't a reason to choose anything else.

Their next level design talents, particularly Doom who has solid magic feats, should synergizes very well with Fable's Door. You don't need to Realize much, when you've already got mad science. A small amount of a custom material here, a moment of altered fundamental forces there, and you're creating some real next level technology.

The skills of Final Frontier would probably set you up very well for designing the systems of your Virtual World. Just set up an automatic "Fate" system, call them the Obscured Gods of Destiny or something, and use your AI programing talents to make it automatically maintain and improve the valence of your world and its characters.

Disclaimer: No liability is accepted if your Virtual World rises up against you for being the architect of a cruel Fate. Be very wary if some dude named Appetite shows up looking for "Hidden Directors" or something.

Objectively Reflection or constant dividends may be superior, but someone already picked dividends and repeating Builds is boring.

I am training an AI to produce word count for me. (Applying Nameless' lesson - why should I cultivate, when I can make an Artifact to cultivate for me.)

So far I'm attempting to refine its ability to produce Advancements. It's somewhat rough, but judge them by yourself.

[ ] Forebear's Blade - Ravages of Time - The weight of years upon the blade. The Forebear's Blade is a powerful weapon, but it cannot be wielded without a cost.
Each time the power of Ruin is used, the blade takes a little bit of the user's life-force with it, augmenting the attacks in return. [+Might, +++Ruin]

[ ] Forebear's Blade - Grand Undertaking - The weight of years and the will of the Forebear. Once a day, the wielder may call upon the Forebear's strength to perform a feat of great physical prowess. This could be anything from lifting a boulder to running at impossible speeds. [+++Might]

[ ] Forebear's Blade - Deathly Spiral (3 picks) - The Forebear's Blade is no mere implement of physical murder, but a slaughter of worlds clapsed in one man's hand. Its stalwart edge is rendered entropy battered into steel; its cut is a beseeching void that drains away meaning and life.

+++Might, +++Agility, +All Stats

*Gain the [Void Eater] Aspect. May consume the flesh of defeated foes in order to substantially recover from any permanent Conditions gained as a result of combat and to gain a slight conceptual adaptation against similar types of foes.
*Any physical wounding is reduced to a degree by which you'd be able to reduce its potency on a well-executed parry or block.

[ ] Forebear's Blade - Relentless March (2 picks) - The Forebear's Blade is a weapon of war, and with it comes the weight of responsibility. It is a tool to be used, not for personal gain, but for the betterment of those who would follow in the Forebear's footsteps.

*Gain the [Relentless March]. You are immune to the Tired and Exhausted Conditions, and can take actions even when Incapacitated.

+++Might, +++Constitution.

[ ] Evening Sky - Royal Void - The relentlessly encroaching dark from which none may hide.
All Condition penalties are removed when in combat. This does not grant immunity to Illusion or other mental effects. [+++Protection]

[ ] Evening Sky - Procyon Glare (2 picks) - A savage light that pierces through the gloom to reveal all.
The user's sense of sight is enhanced, and they can see as easily through darkness as through bright daylight. Additionally, they can see through any supernatural obfuscation such as illusion. [++Intelligence, +Wisdom]

[ ] Evening Sky - Foremost Darkness - That which lurks in the spaces between stars.
The user's defensive parameters in darkness are increased as though wearing seven layers of heavy armor. Additionally, the user gains access to [Shadow Step], which allows them to step into the shadows and emerge from anywhere in line of sight. [+++Protection, ++Agility]

I think this is backwards. The Maiden's Grace is the source of her various supernatural effects. It is by mimicking her perfection that Sorceresses gain magical powers, and The Maiden was the first to walk that path.

The Maiden was simply so talented that things like casting fireball came easy to her. When a Sorceress gets a Stat Boost by following suit, that's representative of becoming more like the Maiden's default state.

Presumably a similar thing is true for Beauty: the Maiden is just naturally banging. (And, crucially, the Maiden is canonically never banging.)
I mean the fact that training time improved her strength shows she has a mechanism to improve her powers so it seems pretty unlikely she was born this way.

Besides the source of her powers doesn't matter to nullity as far as I'm aware, her strength and beauty are supernatural so Gisena can reduce them down to the level of natural again.

1) She had infinite training time so they're probably natural. Sorcerer stat bonus isn't that big per Coalescence, and most Graces only gave like +30 stats in Seram system even if they specialised in it, and Seram +s are worth less than our +s. Plus, her ISH is on par with Hunger's highest ISH (battles), so Gisena Nullity needs to affect things of around that ISH to matter. Not sure if it does.
This isn't quite true. Serams system has lower scaling on the low end, but higher scaling on the high end- Serams system considers the Accursed to have a specific, finite (if highly inaccurate or uninformative) level. There is no strictly finite amount of individual Picks which would ascend Hunger to match the Accursed in any respect except popularity in this group maybe nor is there an infinite amount of such; nor is there a strictly finite amount of individual picks which would even suffice to bring Hunger to infinite Might, I believe. whereas the implication of Serams system is that, if he were to ascend to level blahajsdinsigblity, and then put all of his stat points into STR, He would then have an amount of STR which is at least relevant to a being of a suitable fraction of level Blahajsdinsigblity.
(the implication doesn't fit together so well with the existence of stat buffs but I stand by the weaker claim that if Seram had 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 STR in his system he still would be at at least ISH4 Strength, not ISH 1.99 like Hunger.)
from Rihaku per statement index said:
The higher tiers of his level system represent growth rates across conceptual bounds that can't even be described as hyperexponential (that is to say, the gap in power between level 1 nonillion and level 1 nonillion+1 under Seram's quantification might be vastly greater than the gap between a level 1 character and a level 250 trillion character)
(and the 1,000,000 level was defined as infinite mundane power)

In other words, the limit on the Maidens power gains via coalescence aren't down to the amount of stats each coalescence gives; it's down to at what point the equivalence between Seram-system Statistics and Coalescence Statistical Benefits breaks down for not-a-progression-type-cursebearer-or-companion-thereof; and the gain per Coalescence is nonetheless at least exponential probably hyperexponential with existing stats, so a substantial amount of her stats would be Coalescence-gained if she was operating on that system in general(I don't think she is- the Renaissance Woman flavor implies that being a 'Maiden' is fundamentally distinct from a Sorceress and involves a meta-escalation outside what Sorceresses gain) and its cap wasn't already equal to whatever she attained by other means.

Someone mentioned asking about Areteless builds on the Discord, I figure I might as well have a go at whether it's remotely viable, and figure out Hunger's % dying on a Temple+Areteless build.

It starts similarly to the Cut Through build, to be as honest as possible to the 'no fanwork Arete' clause.

Beginning at the Heart Vote, we go for Force Unto. In Praehihr we get Fell-Handed Stroke + Echo of the Forebear. Hunger mitigates the Tyrant's Doom (Trusted Counsel: Gisena) and the Apocryphal Curse (Direct) instead in Lady of the Lake. He already has hunger sated anyway so Huntress' Moon is useless for at least 28 days. Hunger goes for Scent of Prey + Echo of the Forebear (x2) * in Age and Treachery (Echo Count: 6). With full HP, we grab another Echo (echo count: 7) + Pristine Star** in Hunter Hunted (Scent of Prey: 2-pick encounter with potential for healing). Choosing Temple of the False Moon gives us 2 non-omake Arete if we so wish to spend it's precious grace. We have to go for Conservative in Synchronization Complete, as we don't want Letrizia to die.

With Scent of Prey + Feast of Lives allowing Hunger to encounter as many level appropriate monsters as possible while being at full HP, Hunger will be grabbing as many exciting monsters, improving his pick yield from 2 (+1) to 4 (+1) in A Moment's Reprieve even on The Quickest Route. Hunger acquires two copies of Echo of the Forebear (Echo count: 9 - Tenfold Echo unlocked) as well as Tenfold Echo***. Hunger has like, +20 Strength, +19 Constitution, +19 Agility, + Charisma and + Wits at this point. I seriously think he's actually stronger combat-wise compared to canon due to absurd combat monofocus. He's basically at Form of Rage levels of power.

This Hunger investigates the Main Entrance as in canon (theoretically 2.5 spendable Arete). He goes for Aggressive as well as Absolute Focus (Effectiveness Bonus: +20~30%, vs +0% in canon) because we aren't using Arete anyway in this build. Hunger Vanquishes the Pursuers in War and Wind, a task that's actually easier compared to canon due to Scent of Prey and having bajillion more combat stats. Hunger grabs Stranglethorn and another Echo (Echo Count: 10+ Tenfold) in The Winnowing Garden. He also Keeps Up The Momentum, because he has like ++41 Strength, +40 Constitution and +16 Agility at this point, which is frankly absurd. The rapid rank gains from speedblitzing the outer temple probably puts Hunger at Rank ~4.3 by this point.

Hunger will fight The Dreadbeast in Promenade of Glories, picking up Seize the Day as well as The Shining Paragon****. Absurd stats (sharply better than canon Form of Rage) + Gabrielle Fairbright + 30% Effectiveness means we get to slaughter the Dreadbeast and feast on something like a 4/5-pick Defining Advancement plus reaching ~Rank 4.5. Hunger will also go grab Ring Affinity Alteration (Death or Glory) around Coin and Realm (or the equivalent), getting further buffs within the Temple. By the time we hit Red of Sky and Fang, we'll go for the Knight Commander. Between Stranglethorn, Gabrielle, and an unknown 4/5-pick Defining Advancement, we should be able to destroy the Knight Commander, acquiring a third 4/5-pick Defining Advancement in the process. Hunger will hit Rank ~4.8 from this fight even without picks.

The massively boosted Hunger (+Gabrielle, +30% effectiveness, Death or Glory) can probably beat Varier with reasonable ease, although at this point he's out of Defining Advancement slots. His best option at this point is to grab Ruinous Valor (and another Echo). Hunger doesn't have any Arete to spend on Combat Stances so Einhander is indisputably the superior option. We now have scaling Power of Ruin (Strength: ~52) and boosted special Forebear's Blade attacks, plus whatever One-Armed Fury gives. Hunger also probably has around Rank 5.

This Hunger probably skips the Vacation (he has Death or Glory anyway, so can't choose to not skip it), and will be seriously grinding the middle and inner temple for extremely rapid powerups (remember, he has the Scent of Prey + Feast of Lives combo). I would say he actually has surprisingly good odds of finishing the Temple arc (without omake Arete) without dying as a result of utterly relentless commitment and an extremely synergistic build. By this point we're also at the point where we need to dream up at least 2 high end Defining Advancements, so I'll end the build here.

(Hunger also probably grabs a non-arete artifact at some point, so the added advancements make this even harder to figure out. Note that this build gets social-stomped by Gisena and basically anyone, like, forever.)

* Hunger is weaker than in canon, so the Seralize fight is a 3-pick instead of a 2-pick.
** Really not optimal for survival, a second Echo for a total of seven echoes would be preferred.
*** Some stretching involved to actually qualify for Tenfold Echo.
**** Arete's precious but this is probably one the best possible uses of it. We won't have any ability to spend Arete going forward though.

(~834 Words)

Last edited:
In case anybody else intends to deviate from the Canon Path, I compiled a list of all the updates from the Temple Arc, including how many days of Apo-mitigation are left, how much Arete had been generated at each point, and what the plot votes / build votes are.

Hopefully the general rate of Arete production helps people estimate the feasibility of diverging approaches to the Temple. (Obviously this is a rough guideline because Arete was dependent on how badly we wanted this specific path to work.)

Temple of the False Moon Combinatorial Map

With 12 days left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 15.35A
With 10 days left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 18A
With 9 days left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 36A
With 8 days left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 53.7A
With 7 days left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 65.1A
[Then the timeline gets a little fuzzy]
With 1 day left on the Apo-mitigation from 'To Boldly Go' Hunger had generated 96.4A

By the end of the mitigation from 'To Boldly Go,' Hunger had rescued the Azure Ring and generated 125.9 Arete.

While waiting for the newest Rihaku CYOA I'll work on an older one.

[ ] Your Choice [+1, 0 or 2 Gifts] - 0 - The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim 4th Era
[ ] The Seraph [+1 Heroic Favor] -
[ ] The Genius [2 Gifts] -
[ ] Obols of Paradise [1 Gift, requires Your Choice or A Quest] -
[ ] Special Dispensation [1 Heroic Favor] -

It's a simple build, but also quite effective. Your Choice let's you choose a setting without the ever-present threats of divination and conceptual omni-present opposition. There is no worry of stumbling into the already laid plans of Tzeentch, or to find yourself upon the golden path of Dune. Though, in my case, Azura is not be opposed lightly, nor, indeed, any prince.

Special Dispensation, then, is the choice with the greatest theoretical potential. It is also the choice that provides you the most reliable lever to exploit your setting with. Perhaps you exist in a world where power is gained by delving deep into the mythical depths of a supernal realm, but it is so lethal that no one may survive for long, thereby caping one's attainable power. The Praxis may defend from such environmental harm, and so you may sup richly on the well of power. In the Elder Scrolls it's primary mechanism of effect is likely to be an expansion of magic effects. The Thuum, for instance, seems well suited to such actions. Making the right kind of enchanted effects would be very valuable, as well. Use your Obol to acquire the magic you find most appealing.

However, the Praxis requires effort and for those of mortal will and nature relevant exertion is likely to require time. The Genius will ensure that you survive, until you may fend for yourself.

Also, be careful in Skyrim. The Elder Scrolls setting, lore wide, is very dangerous as you start to move beyond the common man. Anything supernatural should be approached with caution.

Back