Sea-Salted Armament Fish with Vegetables
Mode: Hunger
Fish: Armament Fish
Vegetables: Gift of Legumes
Milk: Butter (Slice Fate)
Spices: Herbs and Spices (Remove Water powers from Armament Fish for even more Rank), Salt (4)

The level of Rank involved with this build results in Hunger almost immediately becoming as powerful as if he took Unshattered and easy access to even more Rank. Slice Fate, of course, because rest in spaghetti, never forgetti.

Challenge accepted.

Wordcount: 2.5k

::: Hunger CYOA :::
A Tale To Satisfy A Different Kind of Hunger...

This is beautiful and I love it.
But it needs pasta.
-[ ] Pasta [11 Arete] - A supremely versatile choice reimagined by countless cultures and chefs across the world and the realms. Pasta can tie together disparate elements from otherwise estranged ingrediants and bring them together in noodly harmony.

Duplicate the stat benefits and non-stat benefits from two other ingrediant selections whose arete value does not exceed the cost of Pasta.

I'm phoneposting from the laundromat so please foegive the slapdash effort. Is this an acceptable write in so I can make cajun shrimp alfredo?

Edit:
Obv. It's a grain, and I'd also like to add a bit about carrying yhe good faith of the flying spaghetti monster forward with you. To clarify, Pasta is meant to increase combo space and you're supposed to get one stat benefit from one ingredient, and one non-stat benefit from another ingredient.

Last edited:

Build Title: "Saber Devil"

[H] Player Mode (Not Recommended)
[H] Grains

-[H] Baguette [7 Arete]
[H] Vegetables
-[H] Gift of Legumes
[H] Fruit
-[H] The Forbidden Fruit
[14 Arete]
[H] Eggs
-[H] Mayonnaise
(Deviled Eggs)
-[H] Deviled Eggs [7 Arete, Requires Herbs and Spices]
[4] Salt
(Deviled Eggs)
[1] Sugar (Mayonnaise)
[1] Herbs & Spices (Baguette)

No idea what I'm doing here, really, but I'm having fun! For the Forbidden Fruit LR (assuming I still get it despite not being a CB), I'd pick TSH, though I don't know whether I'd apply it to Accretion or the Dark Arts. What sort of Dark Arts do Deviled Eggs initiate me into, Birdsie?

-e

IngredientStatsTotal
Grain+3 Strength, +9 Agility+3 Strength, +9 Agility
BaguetteNone+3 Strength, +9 Agility
Vegetables+3 Strength, +9 Constitution, +3 Wisdom, +200% Health+6 Strength, +9 Agility, +9 Constitution, +3 Wisdom, +200% Health
Gift of Legumes+1 Rank, +1.25 Rank+6 Strength, +9 Agility, +9 Constitution, +3 Wisdom, +200% Health, +1+1.25 Rank
Fruit+3 Willpower, +3 Intelligence, +3 Wits, +3 Charisma, +3 Appearance+6 Strength, +9 Agility, +9 Constitution, +3 Willpower, +3 Intelligence, +3 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +3 Charisma, +3 Appearance, +200% Health, +1+1.25 Rank
The Forbidden Fruit+8 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +3 Intelligence, +3 Wits, +3 Charisma, +3 Appearance+6 Strength, +9 Agility, +9 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +1+1.25 Rank
Eggs+4 Strength, +8 Constitution+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +1+1.25 Rank
Mayonnaise (Deviled Eggs)None+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +1+1.25 Rank
Deviled Eggs+2 Rank+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +2+1+1.25 Rank
Salt (Deviled Eggs) x4+1.3* Rank+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +3.3+1+1.25 Rank
Sugar (Mayonnaise)None+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +3.3+1+1.25 Rank
Herbs & Spices (Baguette)None+10 Strength, +9 Agility, +17 Constitution, +11 Willpower, +100% Willpower, +6 Intelligence, +6 Wits, +3 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, +6 Appearance, +200% Health, +3.3+1+1.25 Rank

Assuming baseline stats of 1, my final stats are:

STR 11
AGI 10
CON 18
WIL 12 +100%
INT 7
WIT 7
WIS 4
CHA 7
APP 13
Health 300%
Rank ~5.25

-e2

Birdsie just confirmed on Discord that Deviled Eggs only requires that you pick Herbs & Spices, not that you use it on Deviled Eggs itself, so for this build I'm going tp use it on Baguette to eliminate the French fluency/literacy to enhance my swordsmanship.

-e3

Redid the Rnak calculation with linear multipliers and reduced adds, lowering the power level significantly.

-e4

Updated the build to substitute Mayonnaise for Salt, since it's more powerful. Also confirmed with Birdsie that I can eat my food in whatever order I like, so I'm eating the biggest Rank boost first.

-e5

Talked with Rihaku, who confirmed my rank with these assumptions and build choices to be approximately 5.25.

Last edited:
[ ] Player Mode (Not Recommended) - Instead, you take Hunger's place in this CYOA. You're not a Cursebearer, but Hunger can be encountered during your travels. You have access to Accretion, but nothing else of any power or note. +1 Pick in any of the sections below.
This may not be recommended, but I'd much rather be far away from the Apocryphal Curse.

Player Mode
Vegetable
-Gift of Legumes
Fruit
-The Forbidden Fruit (Prosselarch) 14 Arete
Eggs
-Mayonnaise (Forbidden Fruit)
Fish
-Greatful Goldfish 14 Arete
Milk
-Butter (Rune King)
Herbs and Spices (Goldfish instead grants one Lesser Wish), Sugar (Fungal Growth), Sugar (Your Own Catch), Sugar (Omelette), Sugar (Tomato)

Use my Lesser Wish to enter a variant reality (that is, not a Realm, but the area Indenture stops you from leaving) that is generally the same, but is not assigned any Cursebearers. Lesser Wishes can accomplish time travel, so this should be possible too. No Apocryphal on me, no Hunger to bring the Apocryphal after him and endanger the universe, and enough growth and Willpower I should eventually be able to handle even Armaments.

Also, just Prosselarch+Rune King. Hopefully, the upgraded version of Rune King for getting it when I already have both eyes, as I hopefully don't have Hunger's injuries.

Because Hunger deserves all the happiness he can get;

[ ] Hunger Mode
[ ] Vegetables
-[ ] Sign of the Ur-Carrot [7 Arete]
[ ] Fruit
-[ ] The Forbidden Fruit [14 Arete]
[ ] Milk
-[ ] Butter
[ ] Meat [7 Arete]
-[ ] Roast Beef

[ ] Salt
[ ]
Sugar
-[ ] Gift of Legumes
-[ ] Cut Liver -
[ ] Herbs & Spices

We use Herbs and spices to flavor our butter, giving up stat boosts to expand the range of advancements. Then we add some nice salt, to further improve that by 10%.

On the whole a beautiful Roast beef with Herbs, carrots, and butter. On the side a little liver, fruit, and legumes.

Hunger grows wise, and, with stranglethorn, naturally suited to overcoming the political troubles that plagued his past realm. He regains his eye and thereby much of his ability to perceive and enjoy the world. Further, his rank is increased a small amount, providing him a noticable advantage.

Stranglethorn, of course, all but ensures the flourishing of this realms culinary scene, while wisdom allows this to be an equitable process. Truly, a comfy life.

Resurrection of the dead, blood magic, lich magic, etc. Classic wizard stuff, but focused around necromancy and Freaky Spooky Spells(TM).
Nice, though I'm still stuck on whether to TSH my Accretion or my Dark Arts. I guess, given the naturally 'meta' nature of Accretion, probably I'll TSH it, and then just search for an Artifact that provides boosts to my Dark Arts. A staff maybe, or an athame, or a grimoire maybe. My phylactery, if I go the Lich route.

At present, you may afford to prepare no more than four (4) Ingredients of your choice. You have 28 Arete to spend. Make a salient and delicious meal out of these ingredients, so that you may save this world in the future, and bring the blessing of good eateries to it.

[Q] Player Mode (Recommended) +1 Pick in any of the sections below.

[Q] Vegetables
-[Q] Salad King
[7 Arete]
[Q] Fruit
-[Q] Nuts

[Q] Fish
-[Q] Your Own Catch
[Q] Milk
-[Q] Clotted Cream
[Q] Meat [7 Arete]

-[Q] Dragon Meat [14 Arete]

Furthermore, pick up to five (5) seasonings; one seasoning may be picked multiple time, and its benefits stacked.
[Q] Salt
- [Q] Nuts
[Q] Sugar
-[Q] Gift of Legumes

-[Q] Roast Beef
-[Q] Butter
[Q] Herbs
& Spices
-[Q] Clotted Cream

"Quackquack"

Maximum Rank (Player Mode)

Build Title: "Pontarius"

[R] Player Mode (Not Recommended)
[R] Vegetables
-[R] Gift of Legumes
[R] Eggs
-[R] Mayonnaise
(Armament Fish)
[R] Fish
-[R] Armament Fish [2 Picks, 25 Arete]
[6] Salt
(Armament Fish)

e-

(6 * 1.25 * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.1 * 1.1) + 1 + 1.25 = 15.5367075

So this build is pretty powerful.

e2-

Birdsie said I needed to nerf the stacking, since Rank gets harder to gain the higher your Rank, so I made the multipliers linear instead of exponential, and I made the rank adds divided by the rank they're adding to.

(6*1.85) + 1/(6*1.85) + 1.25/((6*1.85) + 1/(6*1.85)) = 11.3017960718951

Still extremely powerful, enough to stomp the entire early game certainly, and still enough to manifest a Shroud (presumably Thalassic in nature given the water theme from Armament Fish).

Last edited:
perhaps more rank could be gained by using herbs to get rank at the cost of everything else from the fish even if it might be more practical to accept the non-rank power

perhaps more rank could be gained by using herbs to get rank at the cost of everything else from the fish even if it might be more practical to accept the non-rank power
Maybe, but that would also involve giving up a Salt. I guess maybe H&S on Mayonnaise, to sacrifice the Attribute bonus for more Rank?

[6] Salt (Armament Fish)

Ok, I never bothered commenting on the other uses of this, because it was generally kept small enough it didn't matter. But I'm fairly certain salt can only boost the non-attribute effects of the main ingredient category, not the specifically selected therein. So 'all' this would do is empower your monthly guaranteed escape, probably by reducing it's cool down. Is that correct, @Birdsie ?

Ok, I never bothered commenting on the other uses of this, because it was generally kept small enough it didn't matter. But I'm fairly certain salt can only boost the non-attribute effects of the main ingredient category, not the specifically selected therein. So 'all' this would do is empower your monthly guaranteed escape, probably by reducing it's cool down. Is that correct, @Birdsie ?
Birdsie remarked on my application of Salt to Deviled Eggs in the Discord and didn't say anything about it being disallowed, so I figured that Salt can apply to any specialty.

Applies to anything, as Aab noted above.

At present, you may afford to prepare no more than four (4) Ingredients of your choice. You have 28 Arete to spend. Make a salient and delicious meal out of these ingredients, so that you may save this world in the future, and bring the blessing of good eateries to it.

Dragon Steak:

[H] Milk
- [H] Butter

[H] Meat [7 Arete]
-[H] Dragon Meat [14 Arete]
[H] Vegetables
-[H] Salad King [7 Arete]

[H] Salt x4 [is it real steak if you don't put fucktons of salt on it? not really using it for anything beyond preserving meat tho]
[H] Herbs x1

Anything more is heresy to real steak, I'll just bank the last ingredient for later unless I can take Butter twice.

My three-ingredient repast gives me
+14 Might, +15 Con, +2 Willpower, +3 Wisdom, +5 Agi, +3 All stats
+ Advancement : Ring of Power, Gardener's Hallow [7 arete, 2 picks]
+200% health, Color Magic: Emerald Verdure
+ Might's Repose, Surgecraft [7 arete element]

Surgecraft choice:
[H] Quick Herbwater : Post extensive Herbs modding, Quickwater can't generate poisons anymore but provides a significant bonus to plant growth rate, helping the practice of the Hallow. Any potions generated have a strong herby taste, which can vary from boiled parsley to warm cinnamon.

Might's Repose has good synergy with Emerald Verdure too, and I can use the broad competence bonii to become an excellent gardener and farmer, who gains power from making my own foodstuffs.

Salt preserves the meat so others can consume it, in addition to being mandatory for a real steak.

I'm not sure why a steak-focused build ended up so green.

Last edited:
Cajun Chicken Alfredo
[D] Hunger Mode
[E] Grains
-[L] Pasta
[I] Fish
-[C] Your Own Catch
[I] Milk
-[O] Butter
-[U] Cheese Wheel
-[S] Clotted Cream
[F] Salt
[O] Sugar
[OD] Herbs & Spices
(x3)
Distribute 12 +s in any Attributes desired, costing double for non-Physical Attributes. Furthermore, select one other ingredient and boost its unique, non-Attribute effect in some slight yet advantageous manner. (Placed into Agilty, Wits, Intelligence, and Manipulation to round out the build.)
Duplicate the stats of the Sign of the Ur-Carrot (Vegetable). ++++(+++)Might, ++++++++++Charisma, ++++++++++(+++)Wisdom, (++++++)Constitution.
Duplicate the advantages of Deviled Eggs (Eggs) Any regenerative effects you receive are strengthened and made slightly more comprehensive; partial healing of your grave injuries is possible, although such a procedure almost certainly won't be complete. Gain a powerful aura of intimidation that can be focused and directed towards certain individuals, +2 Astral Rank, and become an apprentice of the dark arts.
In any single event where you're about to be defeated or killed, you may instead change your circumstances and escape fate; doing so will not assure the survival or victory of your allies, but allows you to persist. This effect can only be applied once a month, and its power is diminished against greater enemies; it doesn't scale past its initial level.
+30% Attack Speed, and gain the ability to become partially intangible for short periods of time, making individual body parts non-interactable with physical matter.
A fishing rod, and the consummate skills of a fisherman. ++++Manipulation, doubled against aquatic lifeforms. ++++Might, doubled against amphibious scourges.
Your body's bones are five times as hard and significantly more difficult to shatter, and you recover from any such breakages significantly faster, with less of the associated pains and issues. If one of your companions or allies ever falls, you may resurrect them. Alternatively, you may rise from the dead yourself. (X2)
A single advancement or set of advancements of your choice, even if you do not currently possess the associated prerequisites. Must be relatively acceptable in power. Pearlescence!
Gain the ability to share your Luck Attribute with up to seven individuals of your choice, capable of changing your mind instantly. Cheese, for everyone!
Bring out the flavor of other ingredients (improving unique effects by 10% in a variable manner.)
+++++++++++++++++Might
++++++++++Agility
++++++++++++++Constitution
++++++++++++Charisma
+++Manipulation
++++++++Willpower
+++Intelligence
+++++++++++++++Wisdom
++++++Wits
++++++Willpower
++++Luck
Protection
++All Stats
Rank +2

Technically pasta as written could apply to itself and I should have recursively picked pasta with every non-stat choice it provided for infinite stats, but I consider that an exploit and pasta with too little sauce is awful.

It's an extremely creamy rich sauce featuring cream cheese, butter, and parmesan. You thicken it up with flour and go quite heavy on the cajun seasoning because the flavor is so strong. The pasta is salted because you're not a heathen. I often do chicken in this, but shrimp is just as good, and I have a contractual obligation to meme about fishing every so often, so get that Bubba Gump rear in gear.

It's one of my favorites and my fiance also loves it.

Mechanically, I purchased milk twice and used Salt to access another specialty for all three. Cream was very helpful for the agility hungry build. This is certainly more of a stat build, and a bit of a joke in powerlevel when compared to the earth-shattering rank of some other builds on offer! It does come with a bit of rank and a boat load of healing and restoration, which I feel makes it well rounded.

I also buy Pearlescence for the memes.

Last edited:
Have a Gardener's build!

Mode: Player
Fish: Armament Fish
Milk: Butter (Gardener's Hallow)
Eggs: Mayonnaise (Armament Fish)
Vegetables: Legumes
Herbs and Spices (Armament Fish now grants biokinesis, more versatile but commensaurately weaker than hydro of the same Rank)
Salt x4 (Armament Fish)

Should end up with Rank around 10.77 with dimishing Rank returns, since my baseline Rank is probably 2. With my altered Armament Fish Domain and Gardener's Hallow, the multiverse is my oyster - or garden, as it were! A surprisingly powerful CYOA.

Behold the unveiled might of lacto-ovo-pescatarianism! To might alone…

Last edited:
My Hunger CYOA build, affectionately nicknamed Pastats:

[] Player Mode

[] Grains
-[] Pasta (-11 Arete)

[] Vegetables (doubled through pasta; additional spec gained through sugar)
-[] Fungal Growth
-[] Gift of Legumes

[] Fruit (Tomato doubled through pasta; additional spec gained through sugar)
-[] Tomato
-[] The Forbidden Fruit (-14 Arete)
--[] To Shatter Heaven

[] Sugar

[] Herbs and Spices
-[] Gift of Legumes: The beanstalk grown by Jack's Bean now sprouts additional beans, allowing access to other parts of the Astral Realm. The Rank reward, however, is cut in half; completing a quest in each subsequent realm cuts it in half once more, so as to asymptotically approach the original amount.

Last edited:
[] dumplings???
Challenge accepted.

Wordcount: 2.5k
Credit for "-[ ] Pasta" goes to Fumbles.

Not one of you has created a SOUP and for that you have earned my scorn:

Today I will be making for you the most amazing red chowder, with fresh-caught local clams, locally grown carrots and tomatoes, authentic Sybaritic Onions from the Garden of Eden sauteed in butter from our in-house Dairy cows, and hand-collected mushrooms and wild-potatoes. The dish's unique blend of herbs and spices is a celebration of our little slice of the Voyaging Realm, and is guaranteed to be seasoned to your exact preferences through the convenience of Astral gradient descent.

[] RED Chowder
[] Player Mode
[] Vegetables
-[] Fungal Growth
-[] Player Mode:
-.-[] Ur-Carrot (7A)
-[] Herbs and Spices:
-.-[] Because I don't have a missing eye, the power of the carrot is redirected to provide a one-time eradication of all genetic and chronic ailments as well as biological optimization for physical appearance and agility. +++AGI, +++APP
[] Fruit
-[] Tomato
-[] Sugar: Forbidden Fruit (14A)
-.- Lesser Remittance: Gisena
[] Fish
-[] Your Own Catch
[] Milk
-[] Butter
-.-[] Linear Halo
-[] Herbs and Spices
-.-[] The Soul Evocation of the head chef allows me to awaken my own Soul Evocation: The Dabbler
[] Salt x3
-[] Fungal Growth: proactive healing factor optimizes growth of physical parameters: +10% to value of MIGHT, CON +s
-[] Salted Butter: +5% training speed bonus to manually training Astral Rank
-[] Salted Tomato: +20% to value of Intelligence and Wisdom +s when pondering questions in the form of philosophical conundrums.

This build starts with:
10 CON (multiplier x1.1)
15 MIGHT (multiplier x1.1)
3 AGI
12 INT
18 CHA
17 WILL (multiplier x2)
19 WIS (multiplier x1.4)
6 WITS
9 APP
6 MANIP
+200% Health

I receive +CON/+MIGHT every week for the course of a year, which advances my Soul Evocation correspondingly through Linear Halo's engine of converting STR-> INT / CON -> WIS. I can train Accretion through Soul Evocation, albeit slowly. Gisena is smart and likes the internet. I will be smart and like the internet. I will start with enough +INT that I will not be overwhelmingly outclassed by her, and hopefully the Shrooms will let me keep up (in research, though definitely not in general intelligence).

I have not written the exact details of my soul evocation yet but this food CYOA made me hungry for dinner so I will write that some other time.

Last edited:
@Fayhem

How does the Good Doctor's nigh-omnipotence and nigh-omniscience scale here? I recall him managing to stay pretty high-tier in the DC universe, though weaker than, say, Perpetua, but would the latter allow someone with his powerset to just... know mystical information like the workings of, say Caliphate Alchemy if they decided it was something they wanted to know? If not, would Magical Girl allow it?

In appreciation of the most (second-most) recent CYOA, and an effort to be more interactive: a couple hypothetical advancements for the counterfactual reality in which Liberty faction wins.

Kasparov's Column [Trophy]
"The Dawnlord emerged from the wreckage of Midnight changed, sworn to secrecy as to what horrors they saw within."

Every year, choose one spell or ability made available by research within the Tower of Noonday's cellars: immediately progress as if spending twenty years studying it exclusively, and then again as if spending twenty-four hours studying it exhaustively while affected by [To Shatter Heaven]. Thereafter, this spell or ability is bound intrinsically to the Tower, and cannot be executed while outside its walls.

Every month after this first ascension, you will undergo tribulation for your hubris. Its expected level of power and utility is equal to a competent, but unexceptional executor of one primary and one secondary magic system, with only moderate time to prepare before the engagement. For each compounding instance of [To Shatter Heaven] invoked, these will exaggerate by a factor of 12.5% the overall bonus granted by being Lord of Noonday's Tower. As point of comparison, you are considered to have 'All Stats' and 'Rank' as your primary and secondary systems, respectively.

There is no exact definition for what constitutes tribulation. Anything unpleasant or taxing might qualify; lethal consequences are common but not overwhelmingly so. Like the turning of the sky it makes a habit of being certain, yet unpredictable. But just as each person walks beneath the same sky, so too may trusted allies join against the peril. In exchange for including their overall power into its threat calculation, other Archetypes of Liberty present within the Tower of Noonday for the full duration of the month may add a stacking 6.25% chance for the event to instead turn its not-inconsiderable weight towards prizes, benefits, and the encouragement of future achievement. These boons are distributed evenly and may not be stolen by other participants, but if earnestly desired may be shared and exploited privately after another month has passed.

Paracelsus' Arcology [Trophy]
"The Preserver returned without preamble to the wild places of the world, bearing the seeds of life thought lost to time."

*New Genesis: Harvested from the remains of the Warlock's tower, this prototype phylactery does not catalyze life, but an exotic essence orthogonal to natural power. Useless to them, but unthinkably complimentary to you.

Roll d6 against the same chart the Warlock used to determine their magic system. You do not gain access to it, but may add its aspects in total to those adjudicated by your druidic magic. Where there is overlap, +Progression instead. If you roll the same as the Warlock, instead freely pick from among the others.

*The Forgotten Reach: Somewhere in the world, there is a region of false material and illusion made form. It was lost when the first spatter of primordial ooze begat life — but no longer. Upon receiving this advancement, your long and unknowing pilgrimage will come to conclude as you reach its threshold, likely in some innocuous and retroactively obvious fashion. This place resonates with biology, with power, and with sacred truth in a way similar to the more profoundly vital estates of Daylight; unlike those, no ponderous limitations exist upon the exercise of unclean magic within its borders.

Things declared sacred within the Reach have +200% Constitution, and if stable and affixed to the region itself, x2 value from Constitution +s as well. This applies to both natural wonders and artificial product - within this place before mortal conscience, the two are not so different. Living matter may accept surgical reconstruction without difficulty, while constructions will regenerate to their ideal design rather than decay from it. In this way, natural artifice is dramatically more practical and efficient under the auspices of the Reach.

Bold of you to assume that Liberty's victory is so assured.
Liked the post to indicate this isn't meant to be insulting:
Please read the first line about it being a "counterfactual reality". There's probably some small set of the parallels where it does happen, but it's pretty clearly unlikely. These are just some ideas of what might come of it happening.

Back