A Shadow, an Eon, and a Worm (Worm/Pokemon)

Chapter 16- Stories, musings, and Scream
I do not own the tale of the selfish human, nor the one about the Burned Tower. The thing to do with the netherworld is partially my own.

A good half an hour later, both the conversation and the late-ish breakfast was over, and the group went their separate ways. Aquamarina had made her way towards the teleporters, having decided that there wasn't really anything else she could do in the Bay, so she was going back to LA, but have slipped a phone number to Swarm with the offer of keeping in touch and helping out if they needed it- an offer that touched both girls. Vicky was heading back into the field, planning on seeing if she could help out with moving some of the rubble out of the way, and Amy was going to be making rounds to check on some of the people that were still recovering from things she couldn't heal entirely.

Shadow had offered to go and help, but the healer had firmly rebuffed her, telling her that she was healing herself, so she shouldn't need to worry about doing anything right now.

Vista had wandered off to try and find her remaining team mates, seeming in a much better mood than she had been when Shadow found her, and the two members of Team Inari were heading back to the recovery room, where Eon was still sleeping off his injury.

Shadow was incredibly surprised that he was still unconscious, but according to Aquamarina, he'd been thrown by Leviathan head-first into a wall after the impact he'd landed, when he'd seemed a little disoriented, which had lead to Shadow changing her opinion.

As far as she knew, unless Eon had picked something up without telling her, he didn't have any decent Defence boosting Moves, so an impact like that would've hurt, even with the fact that she knew they were tougher than the norm for this world.

Though the titbit that Leviathan had used all nine of Eon's tails for leverage in his throw made her curious as to what sort of curse would've been placed on the creature. Hopefully, it was something that would lead to the Endbringer losing the next time he tried to attack.

"Hey, Shadow." The Vulpix looked up, tilting her head back to meet the orange eyes of Swarm's mask. "That story you were telling Vista earlier on... is that actually a story you know?"

"Yeah, it is." She nodded. "And the other ones I was telling earlier are as well. I just adjusted them to remove the mentions of Pokemon, is all."

"Oh. Would you mind telling me the real ones?"

"Sure." Swarm briefly took one hand out from under Shadow's forepaws to open the door, then deposited her team mate on the bed before closing it again. Shadow dropped her bag on the floor next to her, having picked it up telekinetically on the way in, and settled down. "So, that first one, the one I was telling Vista, is actually called the Selfish Human, though it's not really a cautioning tale, it's something that actually happened in the past of our world. It was before I was born, and before Momma was as well. Grandma Ninetails was alive, though, she was about forty or fifty- that's really young for our kind, by the way. Ninetails can live up to about a thousand- and it was during her travelling years. She was in another region of the world when the meteor came down, and hurried to ask around the nearest cities and towns for information, eventually being given the entire story by the pair of Pokemon that were central to it.

"Basically, a human was travelling with a Pokemon called Gardevoir, and they encountered a Ninetails on the way. It's thought that the Ninetails might've been Inari himself, but we don't know. The human offended the Ninetails somehow, probably by pulling his tails, so the Ninetails cursed the human. But the Gardevoir, who was extremely loyal to her human partner, took the curse herself to save him. The human abandoned the Gardevoir, since she was now cursed and would've been a problem, and this further enraged the Ninetails, who prophesied that the human would be reborn as a Pokemon, and the appearance of that Pokemon in the world would doom the balance of nature in the world. This happened many years ago, and Grandma thought it might be the reason why Inari is rarely seen by humans or Pokemon; he was disgusted at the show of selfishness that the human made, so he avoids both species to stop himself seeing people like that again.

"Anyway, years and years later, a human is reborn as a Pokemon. They became a Totodile, and were found in the woods by their partner Pokemon, who was a Pikachu. They formed a Rescue Team, like Eon and I, because the balance of the world had been disturbed and things were becoming more dangerous for normal Pokemon. The human had lost all their memories of before, only knowing that they were once human and their name, but they worked with the Pikachu to help Pokemon.

"One day, they spoke to a Pokemon called Xatu, who were known for telling the future, in hopes of finding out why the Totodile had become a Pokemon. The Xatu told them this story, but another Pokemon, a Gengar, overheard and spread the rumour that the Totodile was the human in the legend, and that they needed to be killed to return the world's balance. The two of them were chased out of town and eventually found their way to the top of a mountain, assisted by an Absol who could sense disasters and knew the two needed help, where they met the Ninetails of the legend and learned that the Totodile wasn't the human of the legend, but the human was alive.

"The two return home and tell the story, and Gengar and his team are chased away in turn. They continued doing missions to help people, when one day Xatu told them that a falling star was heading towards the planet, and that that was causing the imbalance in nature. A Gardevoir then visited the human in a dream, explaining that their role was to save the Pokemon world, and they'd allowed themselves to be transformed into a Pokemon and lose their memories, but the dream ended before they found out how.

"Totodile and Pikachu journeyed to the top of the Sky Tower, where Rayquaza lives, and asked him to help destroy the meteor, which is his job. The explosion caused Totodile's spirit to end up in the netherworld, which is a sort of a between world where gravity is all wrong and twisted, and nothing can be found. Gengar leads them back to the Pokemon world, where the group celebrate saving the world.

"A few months passed, and the Gengar reappears, having left his team and vanished. One of his team mates, a Medicham, revealed that he was trying to climb Mount Freeze, which is where the Totodile and Pikachu had found the Ninetails from the legend. They go after him at the request of Medicham and Ekans, and the Gengar apologises for his actions towards them. He reveals that he was the selfish human the Ninetails cursed, and he wanted to ask the Ninetails to help him apologise to Gardevoir. They found Ninetails, who sent them to a place called Murky Cave, where Gardevoir was living as a half-there spirit, the curse having sent her partly into the netherworld, allowing her to visit dreams, but leaving her anchored to the cave forever. She had also lost all memory of her human partner, only knowing that she'd been cursed by a Ninetails long ago. Gengar still apologised, and decided to remain in the cave with Gardevoir until the curse ended or she regained her memories."

Shadow shook her head slightly, her voice having become more and more introspective as she spoke, and dismissed the faint illusions she'd been using to illustrate her story as she did. "Grandma met the Totodile and Pikachu months after this, and as far as they knew Gengar and Gardevoir were still waiting together in the cave."

"That's... wow." Swarm muttered, a frown in her voice. "It's kind of strange... then again, I've heard a lot of mythology from my world, so something like that really happening isn't that odd." She rested a hand on Eon's back. "Could you tell me more about that netherworld?"

"Sure." Shadow nodded. "I don't know as much about this, but the netherworld is a place where gravity is wrong and nothing much exists. There's no Pokemon and no humans, though apparently fruited trees can grow there, and you can find both human and Pokemon settlements there. It's made up of floating platforms, and as you go between them gravity shifts so you can't really fall unless you jump away from everything, and there's no ground either, just a bottomless pit of swirling blues and purple. It's also closely related to the dream world, or might be the dream world, no-one's quite sure. According to some of the Pokemon that've migrated to our side of the world from the human world, the humans sometimes refer to it as the Distortion World, on account of how everything's twisted and distorted there, with buildings and stuff looking like they're in a warped mirror. The Mythical Shaymin can open portals to the netherworld with their Seed Flare Move, and Giratina is apparently the keeper of that world who can open portals on any reflective surface, allowing them to pass between the 'real' and distorted worlds."

"So it's like an afterlife?"

"Oh, no." Shadow shook her head rapidly. "Not at all. It's just another world, that you could theoretically go to, but you'd need a Shaymin or Giratina to open the portal there."

"I see." Swarm paused for a minute, taking that in, before cocking her head. "I've heard the name Giratina before somewhere..."

"I sorta mentioned that earlier, in the story about the serpent being sealed in a golden stone. I don't think that one's real, but it might be. Giratina is the serpent-like Pokemon that was sealed away due to fighting with their siblings, Dialga and Palkia, and causing disruption in the world. They only look like a serpent in the netherworld, though. In our world, they have six legs and the six wings become two, like this." She formed an illusion of the two forms, much smaller than they really were, and let Swarm inspect them. "I slipped up a bit telling the story and used the name Giratina, but I don't think anyone else noticed."

"Which is good, I guess." The bug user commented. "What about the story about the burning tower?"

"That one's real, but it's actually more of a human one, about the creation of the three Legendary Beasts. The Pokemon one is a bit different, though since there's a lot of different versions of them- not as many as common Pokemon, but more than one trio- this one's true of one of them, but not all." Settling back down, having sat forward to form her illusions properly, Shadow rested her head on her two front paws and curled her tails close to her body, shuffling slightly to position herself comfortably. "See, that one started in a city called Ecruteak, a human city, which had two tall towers..."

"Vicky!"

The unexpected shout made the flying Brute blink, but she ignored it for a moment to remain focused on holding the segment of building she was under upright, waiting for the Cape underneath it to finish pulling out the body of the unfortunate other Cape that had been standing in the wrong place when it fell. That Cape, some out-of-towner that hadn't left yet and was sticking around to try and help find any more bodies- she thought they might be PRT affiliated in some way, but Vicky would be the first to admit that she'd never really paid as much attention to that as she should- gave her a signal and she slowly floated out from under the brickwork, letting it fall to the ground as she did.

That job done, she looked around and up towards the shout.

"Hey, Eric!" She called back, lifting a few more feet off the ground to close the distance with her cousin, floating on a shield. "What's up?"

"Mom's trying to call New Wave together, as much as she can." He explained. "I volunteered to come find you, and Dad went to go get Amy from the medical place- though I'd think there'd be no-one left in there, with how she and Shadow went through everyone." Vicky chuckled.

"Yeah, they did a really great job. Anyway, just gimme a minute, and I'll be along." Her cousin nodded, so she dropped back down a bit to speak with the Cape she'd been working with, who quickly waved her off to go be with her family.

Suppressing a wince at the slight reminder of the situation, she started following Eric back to where her aunt was waiting.

"How's Crystal doing?" She asked, as a way to fill the silence.

"She's alright now, just a bit shocked is all." He replied. "But Amy and Shadow did really good work, so she's ok physically." Vicky nodded thoughtfully.

Crystal had ended up caught in the massive tsunami that had come some time after Shadow had knocked her out, which Amy had filled her in on during the intervening downtime between her ending her round of healing and the pair of them going to find somewhere to get some food. The invincible Cape definitely felt sorry for her other cousin, given that she wasn't invulnerable and her shields weren't as strong as her brother's, so being stuck just far away from the safe zones and just too low for her to fly out of the way would've been terrifying. Luckily, she'd managed to escape mostly alright, if one considered having both arms broken and a couple of ribs cracked 'alright'- which Vicky did, given that the wave came from Leviathan and probably should've been much worse.

Amy had fixed that, and Shadow had dealt with the concussion she'd also been given, then a couple of PRT folk had handed her over to her mother at the earliest opportunity.

"That's good. I was kinda worried when I heard what happened to her." Eric shot her a sideways glance, and Vicky blushed. "I had a bit of a bitch fit when I heard about Mom, so Shadow put me to sleep. I slept through the entire rest of the battle, and a good bit of the early aftermath stuff as well. I only woke up about six."

"Damn, you really did miss a lot." He chuckled. "I guess Amy filled you in?"

"Yeah, between her healing and getting some breakfast." Vicky nodded. "So, what's Aunt Sarah want to talk to us about?"

"I don't know, she just wanted to get everyone together." He gave her an apologetic look, then continued, "I think it might be something to do with Aunt Carol." Vicky winced and bit her lip, but nodded again, and the two continued to fly in silence towards their destination, which turned out to be one of the spare medical tents that hadn't been taken down yet.

Amy was already waiting there with their dad, and Vicky hurried over to hug both of them before drifting to gently wrap her arms around Crystal as well. She greeted her aunt and uncle just as quickly, before settling down to listen to what her aunt wanted to say.

"I'm glad you're ok, Vicky." Neil said, before they began. "We heard you go down from the armbands, and since we didn't see you come back out for a while we were worried about you." Vicky blushed again.

"I'm fine, I didn't even get hurt. Shadow knocked me out 'cause I went a bit mental after hearing about Mom." The entire group winced, and Sarah cleared her throat slightly.

"I suppose that brings me to what I wanted to ask, how you three were coping with it." She grimaced. "Though I also suppose that gives me an answer for Vicky…"

"I'm actually doing ok." Vicky butted in. "Shadow and I had a bit of a chat-"

"After you went off at her for putting you to sleep in the first place." Amy snarked.

"She forgave me, and admitted that it probably wasn't the best thing, even if it was the only option." She countered. "Anyway, we had a chat, and she helped me out a bit. I still feel bad, sure, but I've got better ways of spending my time than brooding, or attempting to go on self-righteous quests to punch Leviathan in the face for vengeance." Amy snorted at that.

"I'm… fairly ok too." She agreed. "I didn't really have the time to talk to Shadow like you did- during the battle we were either running about healing, or I was comforting her when Swarm and Eon went down- but we spoke a little afterwards about it all. She's pretty good at being comforting."

"Must be all the fuzzies." Crystal put it, making them all chuckle.

"Probably. She's adorable at the best of times, and she doesn't mind you hugging her for comfort- it's like holding a giant hot water bottle, at least when she's not running out of energy. She said it's something to do with her inner flame and aura, which I think I'd like to ask more about- but she's also pretty good at giving advice about things." Amy smiled. "But yeah, I'm not too bad. I mean, I'll miss her, sure, but Carol… wasn't always the nicest to me."

Vicky grimaced, leaning over and squeezing her sister's arm, before throwing her own around her shoulders and pulling Amy to her side.

Mark merely shrugged, apparently not wanting to talk about it.

Amy paused for a moment, frowning deeply and chewing her lip as she thought, then her eyes widened. "I think I need to go talk to Shadow."

"Why?" Sarah asked. "Is something wrong?"

"No, not wrong, but I need to check something about how her powers work, because I think I might've just had an absolute breakthrough on the medical side of things if it works like I hope it does." Amy said hurriedly, shifting out from under Vicky's arm and going to stand. The blonde pulled her back down with a slight smile.

"Hey, running off out of nowhere's my thing, remember?" She joked. "C'mon, Ames, explain!"

"Shadow's healing power is really fucking weird." The other girl told them bluntly. "The 'Heal Bell' part of it especially."

"Excuse me?"

"Shadow describes her power in two ways; Heal Pulse, which is what does the injuries and energy restoring thing, and then Heal Bell, which is the weird part." Amy replied to her uncle. "We've talked about it a couple of times after clearing out the hospital, and according the her, the Heal Bell version is what deals with a lot of other things, mostly mental stuff like concussions, but it'll also heal burns, poisoning since the Pulse thing misses that for some reason, most forms of artificial sleep though it doesn't work on everything, stuff like that. I'm not sure which of the two is the thing healing brain injuries, but maybe it's a mix of both. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it'll be able to do something to Master effects, which I think might be something to talk to the PRT about testing, and I'm almost certain it'd do something to chemical imbalances too." The healer was almost bouncing in her seat, something so unusual for the quiet girl that her cousin commented on it.

"Why's that so interesting, Ames?"

"Because, Crystal, mental illnesses like depression are because of chemical imbalances, which I can't fix because it's to do with the brain-"

"But Shadow's power does." Vicky suddenly realised.

"Wait, go back a minute, what's that about Master effects?" Sarah interrupted.

"Oh, since Shadow's power can target and cure mental afflictions, I figured she might be able to do something about Master effects that target a person's brain." Amy replied quickly. "I figured we'd need the help of the PRT for something like that, since they'd probably be able to get their hands on someone suffering from a Master effect a lot easier than a couple of independents would, but if it worked then who knows?" The healer grinned. "Do you think we'd be able to arrange that, Aunt Sarah?"

Neil answered for her. "If you and your friend have a way to clear up Master effects, I doubt they'll be saying no to your request for help." Sarah nodded absently.

"Do you mind if I go see if I can get Shadow, so we can talk about that?"

"Go ahead." Sarah nodded again, apparently thinking hard. "We'd probably have to call the Director and explain all this to her, but when it comes to important things like this she's normally fairly reasonable…" The team leader was still muttering to herself as Vicky and Amy left, the blonde taking her sister in her arms to fly the two of them over to the medical area Team Inari would likely be in.

"Why do I feel like you're leaving something out there?" Vicky accused lightly, drifting slowly towards their destination.

"Because you're you, and you're nosey." Amy snarked back, glancing up with a grin. "But yeah, I kinda was. I'm almost certain Shadow's power deals with depression, given that it's apparently gotten rid of mine."

Vicky froze in mid air for a moment, staring.

"…Huh." She finally managed, dropping back towards the ground. "I guess you have been a lot less grumpy lately. Ever since you and Shadow first started doing hospital rounds together, actually."

"That's when I've pinned it down to too." Amy nodded. "Though…" She looked around a bit, then lowered her voice, "I also only noticed it when I realised something had happened to your aura."

"Pardon?"

"Your aura's seemed a lot stronger than normal to me recently. I figured I was just imagining things, since no-one else noticed, but then I realised that I'd been caught in Shadow's healing blast a lot since that first started happening."

"Are you saying…" Vicky tried, dropping heavily onto the ground.

"I don't know for sure," Amy stressed, "And honestly I doubt it really is, but if your power acts like something of a Master effect, even if it just prompts a person's brain to produce more of a certain chemical, then that means that Shadow's power most likely does work on those sorts of power." The brunette bit her lip. "Then again, I don't really know if that counts as a Master power, since it's still kinda a Shaker…"

"No… no, it does sound more like a Master power when you put it that way." Vicky admitted, leaning against the wall. "Fucking… no wonder Mom was always so forceful about calling it a Shaker field, the PR nightmare from being known as a Master publicly…"

"Yeah, you'd've been fucked, and so would New Wave for having a Master that makes people like her, and that couldn't happen." Amy sighed bitterly, and Vicky joined her.

"Dammit, Ames, I wish you hadn't brought that up." The Brute grimaced. "Knowing that my power's technically probably a Master effect isn't the greatest thing to be adding to my pile of shit today."

"Sorry, Vicky." Amy winced sympathetically. "But I guess it's one more reason to keep control over your aura? Besides, at least Shadow can fix pretty much any damage done by it."

"Yeah." She pushed off the wall again and floated after her sister, into the medical tent. "C'mon, let's just go get Shadow so I can stop thinking about it." Amy nodded, making a beeline for the area on the other side of the tent, which was blocked off with a hastily created wall and door, while Vicky floated after her, deep in thought.

Amy knocked on the door, and a few seconds later Inari's insect controller- Swarm- opened the door, her head tilted slightly to one side. "Hello, Panacea." She greeted warmly, a hint of insect buzz in her voice. "Is there something you needed?"

"Is Shadow still awake? We were hoping to borrow her for something." Amy replied, smiling at her. Vicky floated over her shoulder to look slightly into the room, seeing the sleeping form of Eon still lying along a bed, while Shadow was lying next to him on a separate bed, looking up towards the door. A couple of strangely shaped illusions were in the middle of dispelling themselves in the centre of the room, making Vicky curious as to what they were, but the small fox jumped down and trotted over to the door.

"What's up, Amy?" She asked. "Do you need my help healing someone?"

"Sort of." Vicky's sister waved a hand towards her. "I was speculating on some stuff during a bit of a New Wave meeting, and I wanted to see if you would be ok talking to my Aunt Sarah about some of your healing powers?"

Shadow glanced up at Swarm, then shrugged. "Sure, no problem. Swarm, can you stay with Eon? Just in case he wakes up."

"No problem, Shadow." Swarm nodded, crouching down and running a hand down her back. "You go help out, I'm sure Eon'll be fine."

"Thanks." Following Amy and Vicky out of the tent, Swarm closing the door behind them, Shadow continued, "So what's the situation, exactly?"

"It's mostly to do with some of the stuff you've said about how your Heal Bell works, since it got me thinking about a couple of things, mostly just wondering how it might interact with some other stuff." Amy half-explained, kneeling and holding out her arms for Shadow to climb into. The brunette was promptly picked up by Vicky, who started flying them back towards the tent New Wave had commandeered. "We're back!" She called, as Vicky landed and let the two out of her arms. Brushing aside the entrance to the tent, the five Capes inside looked over to them with smiles, and Amy put Shadow back onto the floor. "Shadow, this is our family. That's Dad, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Neil are over there, and those're our cousins, Crystal and Eric. Everyone, this is Shadow."

"Nice to meet you all." Shadow grinned, ducking her head slightly in an approximation of a bow. "Now, Amy's being all mysterious, so what did you need me for?"

"Amy said that your healing abilities have a thing for mental issues?" Mark asked in return, quietly.

"Oh, sort of." Shadow acknowledged, as the three sat down. "Heal Bell works strangely, but for the most part it'll work on mental stuff. Amy's watched it before, something to do with chemicals?"

"Would you mind giving a demonstration, Shadow?" Sarah requested, as Amy sidled along and took her dad's hand.

"Sure, no problem." Closing her eyes and inhaling deeply, there was a moment's pause before she howled, a barely-there wave of energy following.

Amy's eyes widened as she saw the slight shifts happening in Mark's biology.

"And that works on most things?" Neil questioned.

"When they're combined, yeah. Not so much on their own, it's a bit fiddly." Shadow shrugged.

"Do you think it'd work on Master effects?" Vicky put in, interested. Shadow paused, thinking.

"I'm... not sure." She admitted. "It doesn't do anything to Swarm when she's caught in them, after all, and that's a Master power, but maybe it's only certain types?"

"Amy came up with the idea." Sarah explained. "I'd like to offer to contact the PRT on Team Inari's behalf, in an attempt to get some Master victims that could be used for you to test that."

"If you could cure Master victims, that'd be awesome." Crystal put in, grinning widely. "I mean, there's loads of different Master victims in the world, an no-one can figure out how to get rid of the effects, aside from finding the Master."

"Thank you, Lady Photon." Shadow smiled widely, again giving one of those slight bows. "That'd be great, I'd love to be able to help more people that way."

"I'll make contact with the PRT as soon as I can. Would I be able to contact you through Amy at some point?"

"No problem, assuming Amy doesn't mind. We'll probably end up meeting up to do more healing pretty soon anyway, so we'll end up being near each other." Shadow glanced up at the healer, who nodded.

"I don't have any problems with that." Amy agreed.

"I don't know when I'll be able to make contact with them for you, given the entire clean up operation from the aftermath of this attack." Sarah added. "But I'll do my best to put this forward as soon as possible. Being able to cure Master victims isn't something that should be put off for long."

"Don't try rushing it on my behalf." Shadow objected. "The PRT and Protectorate are gonna have more stuff to do than deal with a random independent for a while, because other things should definitely take priority over it. Still, just passing it on for us is great, thank you."

"You've been helping take a lot off of Amy's workload in the last few weeks." Neil replied. "It's the least New Wave can do to thank you for that." Shadow nodded, though Vicky got the impression that she was discreetly rolling her eyes at them.

"Amy and I have a lot in common in terms of wanting to help people. The fact that she volunteered to help me get in touch with the hospital to help out means enough to me as-is." The fox assured them, before glancing back out of the tent. "And, pardon me, but is it ok if I go? I want to stay near Eon."

"Of course, your team mate's injured, you should be with him." Mark said. "Vicky, would you mind...?"

"I'll drop her back." The blonde nodded, standing. Shadow smiled again at the rest of the room, shook Sarah's hand when it was offered, and pattered out with Vicky.

Somewhat warily, she lifted the fox into her arms, and Shadow laughed. "I won't bite, you know." Vicky giggled slightly and took off, leisurely drifting towards the tent Eon was in.

"I know, I know." She smiled. "Hey, out of curiosity, what was with the little bow-thing you were doing? It's not like it was a formal thing, I've seen you doing it when talking to the Wards or the Protectorate on patrol, and I've seen you give Amy or the hospital staff one as well a couple of times."

"Bowing in our... culture... is a bit weird." Shadow answered carefully. "Bowing deeply to someone is a sign on respect, and it's normally pretty formal; I'd bow to a Kyuubi normally, though I don't do it with Eon because he's my team leader, so I only do that when he's pulling rank, so to speak, or I'd bow to someone high up like the Director or Chief Director, or Legend, because they're powerful leaders. Little bows are more like acknowledgements of advice or gifts, like the fact that your Aunt is offering to contact the PRT in my name to request that help with the Master thing. With a lot of the other stuff, it's because they gave advice in terms of how to handle being a Cape team here on Bet, things like that."

"Weird."

"It is a bit. Technically I should've bowed deeper to your Aunt, since Lady Photon's the team leader and she has more power than me, being older and with more influence, but she's also got no real influence over me, whereas someone like Legend... they have a lot more direct power over what I'd do, because they have the power to declare me or Inari a real threat, so they have to be bowed to that way." Vicky blinked.

"I see." She said, thinking. "What about with Lung? Apparently you and Eon bowed there."

"Respect of his abilities and returning the respect he was giving us." She explained. "And in my case, following the lead of my superior before staying out of the way, because he clearly wanted to talk to Eon and not me."

"Huh."

"Our culture has a lot of weird things like that. We've been teaching Swarm some, since she's our team mate, but for the most part she'd never need to know it because it's unlikely she'll run into them." Shadow chuckled. "I mean, what's the use in knowing that if you meet a Uxie you should bow deeply in respect to a higher superior, then keep your head lowered and eyes down in deference, if you're never going to meet a Uxie?" Vicky raised an eyebrow as she descended, but Shadow didn't elaborate, so she made a quiet promise to herself to do some searching around as soon as she could to try and find out what a Uxie was.

Vicky knelt down to let Shadow out of her arms, stretching slightly as she did so. "Thanks for the lift back, and thanks to your family for offering that." Shadow shook herself out slightly as Vicky smiled.

"No problem. Hope Eon gets better soon, and say hello to Swarm for me as well." She waved, and Shadow lifted a paw in response as the blonde flew off back towards her family, and the fox went inside to sit with her team again.

"What on earth happened there?" Alexandria, also known as Rebecca Costa-Brown, demanded, rubbing her arm irately. "How did that even happen?"

"How did that little fox thing have the power to do that?" David added. "And since when could either of them shoot lightning, anyway?"

"No idea." Paul shrugged, leaning against the wall. He was suspiciously calm about the entire situation, all things considered, but he'd been well out of the way of the lightning strike and therefore hadn't really gotten much of the effect.

David had been somewhat closer, and had felt the electricity booming past, while Rebecca had taken it head on.

A couple of bandages wrapped around the upper part of her arm under her costume told the story of how that went.

"It's more interesting that it managed to scare away Leviathan, I think." He continued with a shrug. "If those two happen to have a way to do something similar to Behemoth and Simurgh, we might be able to start ending the attacks far quicker by just aiming either Shadow or Eon at them."

"We need to find out more about them." The Doctor said, from her place on the other end of the room. "They're far more powerful than any normal Trigger I've ever seen, and neither of them are one of ours. I want to know where they came from, and if we can duplicate it."

"What about their team mate? Swarm?"

"She's nothing special, just an insect controller." She dismissed. "There's no reason to try looking into her at all. We should focus on Shadow and Eon." Paul looked somewhat uncertain about that, but said nothing.

The meeting continued in the background, but Contessa didn't bother to pay attention to it. If she needed to know something, the Path would tell her where to find it out.

Instead, she focused on a new issue.

Path to finding out more about Shadow and Eon.

Entities not found.

Path to locating Shadow and Eon.

Entities not found.

Path to discovering Eon's past.

Entity not found.

Path to discovering Shadow's past.

Entity not found.

This pattern continued every time either of their names came up in the Path request. Even using them as a secondary, for example Path to using Swarm to get information on Shadow and Eon came out with the same failure.

It was unsettling.

Especially as Contessa never normally got an error like that, even from her blind spots like the Entities, Endbringers and Eidolon. With them, things just blanked out silently into nothing, forcing her to reset the Path to get around it.

Having a pair of Capes that just outright blocked her abilities in a way that seemed to give her no way around it was… unnerving, for someone who needed the Path to make sure the world didn't end, and wanted to try using the targets to help save it.

Ocean swirled around them, rain pounding on it from above and joining the shifting of the tides. Debris from the slowly-sinking islands started forcing waves to form, but with a moments thought they were frozen, lowered back into the water to join the shifting.

Their eyes flickered back and forth through the water, the dust and blood and bodies having no effect on their vision, searching for the thing they had been tracking, the thing that had led them to here…

There. A faint ripple in the water, invisible to normal eyes yet painfully obvious to them, and they shifted to trace it, darting towards it with no regard for anything else and circling once.

A shield, overlaid over the city and hiding it from view. It had drifted here with the currents, but now with them there, the currents were shifting too fast to follow, leaving it trapped.

The ocean began to compress, pressing down on the shield with all the force they could manage, pulling with it all the debris in the area and forcing them down too. Things impacted their back, but they ignored it, too focused on their goal to care- and beyond the ability to care in themselves.

A flash of yellow. The shield broke, water and pieces of island rushing in, down on top of it, and the sound of shattering. Crystal shapes floated out of the ruins, and they waited for a moment before forcing more water around them, shattering them.

Something floated out of the ruins after them, a small oval shape, and after a moment they decided that it was merely another piece of rubble, drifting off into the ocean.

They relaxed, their orders complete, and then something else impacted their back.

Another instinct took over, orders to fight, and so they did, lunging out of the ocean and towards the source of the great roar that echoed around them, their tail impacting the rubble behind them and sending it flying out into further waters, away from them.

Beneath them, the island continued to sink, and the waves continued to be suppressed, used instead for the sole purpose of pushing the evidence of the main target away.

Red and yellow flickered, the area of water shining, and then there was nothing.

Not even them.

Shadow's Family Tree
So, while writing chapter 19 of this (yes, there's a bit of a buffer) I ran across something. It's become a bit of a running joke that Shadow has a weird family tree, which allows her access to a lot of lineage Moves. For those who don't remember, that means she has the Move in her family tree, making it easier for her to learn Moves, though she still needs to learn them.

Anyway, while writing, I made a reference to another family member, and decided 'Hey, I should probably make a family tree to keep track of all this so I don't make mistakes! That shouldn't be too hard, right?'

That was yesterday afternoon, and given that while writing this post I realised I'd made a mistake and had to fix it... yeah.

Anyway, it goes back only five generations, six if you count Shadow's, and doesn't include all the aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings that would inevitably also be on this. Honestly, this is just to give an idea of how weird the tree is, and let me keep track of things without going mad.

In other news, the Field egg group works really well for chain breeding Moves.

I'm also working on a different idea to the game mechanics of 'only eggs of the female Pokemon, or the non-Ditto'. The groups of eggs are a mix of both, though some species naturally have less in a group. The dragons are one, Vulpix are another, etc... mostly Pokemon known to have really long lives or be really rare.

EDIT: For easier viewing, look at the next info threadmark along, Alex's looks a lot cleaner with the same information.

Tree! It's a mess. It's also bloody massive, sorry.

Last edited:
Chapter 17- Awakening, recollections, and elsewheres
The world was spinning.

Given that, as far as he could tell, he was stationary, Eon was pretty sure the world wasn't supposed to be spinning.

Unless he'd been put on some kind of spinning ride, like the cup thing Shadow had spent a lot of time on that one time they'd been to a park after completing a mission in one of the further away cities. She'd spent a lot of time on there, and she'd gone all dizzy afterwards, so he'd had to carry her back to the place they were staying and wait for her to get better.

That would make the world spinning make sense, but Eon was still pretty sure he was lying still, and he'd probably notice if he was in a moving cup being spun around.

Hesitantly, he cracked open an eye, then immediately groaned when the lights seemed far too bright for wherever he was.

"Eon's awake!" A familiar voice said, too loudly. He whined slightly.

"Eon." Another familiar voice spoke, accompanied by a poke in the side. "Eon, open your eyes." He did, finding that it was still slightly too bright, but his face was being shadowed by the blurry form of...

"Shadow?" He tried quietly, coughing as his voice rasped out and his ears rebelled slightly at the sound.

"Oh, good. Here, you should drink this." Spotting the familiar shade of Shadow's Extrasensory attack lifting a bowl over to him, he let Swarm help him lift his head and drank, feeling some of the headache leave him, though it was still too bright and loud. "You ok now?"

"Bit better." He grumbled, slumping back and closing his eyes. "What happened?"

"You overboosted yourself and dive-bombed Leviathan." Shadow reminded him bluntly. "The damn thing caught your tails and sent you flying, broke way too many bones... you had to be dragged in by one of the fliers to be healed. You've been unconscious since."

"The battle's over." Swarm added, carefully resting a hand on his side. "Shadow went out and dropped lightning on him, with some help from Aquamarina- she's the Cape that brought you in, and she helped rescue and get me back for healing as well."

"You got hurt?"

"The wave." Eon's eyes snapped open again, and he twisted his head as much as he could to see Swarm flexing her arm. "Knocked a building on me. Most the rubble ended up around me, but my arm got crushed. I got really lucky; the weight of the bricks stopped me bleeding out, Shadow gave me enough of a heal to keep that up, then Panacea was able to regrow my arm for me." He looked over her arm, which was missing chunks of the sleeve of her costume. "We had to cut a lot of it off, some of it was stuck in my arm. I'll repair it later, but Shadow's been putting an illusion over it whenever we leave the room."

"You drove off Leviathan?" He asked, nodding slowly and turning back to Shadow, who was sitting in a chair with her tails around her paws.

"Yeah. Boosted with Calm Mind, and I got pretty lucky with my Charge- picked the right one pretty much by accident, and there was a lot of charge in it- and not much drifted into the rain. He got hit by something about twice the strength I'd expected." Shadow winced a little. "Luckily I'd compressed it as much as I could, so it didn't scatter too much. Still don't think Lung appreciated it, and I think we're lucky that Alexandria's so invincible, but most the power went straight into Leviathan."

"You hit Lung?"

"Only a little bit. He was pinning him down; I got Amy to send a message to Dragon, and Dragon gave the warning for everyone who isn't enough of a Brute to take a lightning strike to back away, and for the ones that could and the Blasters to keep him pinned." She chuckled. "Lung took that pretty literally, he was holding him down as much as he could. He dropped by after he finished ramping down again."

"It was ok?"

"He was fine, he just wanted to compliment me on the power of my attack." Shadow waved off.

Eon shook his head slightly, feeling like he was playing a massive game of catch-up. I hate when I get knocked out and my team ends up doing ridiculous things without me... Arceus, it's like Trikani Meadow all over again. With a sigh, he closed his eyes and leaned back again. "Alright, I'm going to need a full review of this, aren't I."

"Later, Eon." Shadow admonished. "You need to rest. Persim berries help with the confusion from overboosting, but the only thing that's gonna fix your brain is rest."

Grumbling good-naturedly about overbearing team healers, Eon stifled a yawn and relaxed.

"Would you mind telling me more stories, Shadow?" Swarm asked.

"Umm... sure, but I think I might be out of myths and legends... at least, ones that have some kind of backing in the real world." She hummed, tapping a paw. "I could tell you some of the ones we've heard from migrating birds, I guess. Not sure how true those are, or if I'll get them right, but I can have a go at it."

"Sure."

"Alright..." As Eon started to drift off again, he heard Shadow start talking about one of the more recently-heard legends, one about a Lucario, and a man called Sir Aaron...

Lung sat down carefully behind his desk, looking around appreciatively. The building was reasonably undamaged, considering that there had been an Endbringer in the city causing tsunamis, but it was quite far away from the main area where the Island-Sinker had been rampaging, so perhaps it wasn't that much of a surprise.

"Go." He commanded Lee, who was standing in the doorway. "Check on our warehouses, as many as you can. Do not start any fights."

"I will, Lung-sama." Lee nodded, before dissolving into ash. Now alone, Lung leaned back in his seat to think.

The recent battle against Leviathan had been an interesting one, and not only because it was likely to go down in history as the shortest Endbringer battle against the ocean beast. The first major bit of surprise was the Kyuubi, Eon, near the very beginning.

Before he'd headed into the rout to try and ramp up enough to be useful, he'd spent his time watching the team of Inari. Swarm had been pulled down by the teleport outside, landing on one of Eon's tails from what he'd seen, but all three of them had recovered well from the unexpected jolt. Indeed, Eon and Shadow had recovered so well that it made him suspicious of whether they had practise at dealing with unexpected movement. Nevertheless, Eon had quickly moved to check on his two team mates, making sure they were alright, before sending Shadow off with Panacea and her sister to go healing.

He and Swarm had stayed behind, Eon firing a beam of fire at the water echo of Leviathan as the battle began, at which point Lung had lost track of them both in the frantic nature of the battle. The next time he'd seen Eon, the silver Kyuubi had been alone, catching him after a mistimed swipe at Leviathan had sent him flying.

And then the second oddity had come to light.

Absently touching his side, he remembered the feeling of Eon's claws digging into his scales, a slight but sharp pain that made him wince.

Somehow, the noble being had the ability to injure him even as he ramped up, and was perfectly capable of matching him in straight combat- as the mock battle against him showed. Knowing that, his power seemed to transform him quicker than ever before, taking barely fifteen minutes to bring him up to the size he had been when he fought Leviathan at Kyushu, and burning with a flame hotter than he'd used since that day. The next five or so minutes had been spent in close combat with the Endbringer, allowing the rest of the Capes to back away and recover while he burned away the water echo and tore wounds at the beast below.

It had only been when he'd heard the quiet sound of the armband chiming, a tone he knew well, and seen the wave beginning to build on the edge of the horizon, that he'd left the Endbringer he'd thrown away to his own devises, stifled his flames, and headed for the silver Kyuubi to offer his aid in getting the Capes that were near out of the wave.

Seeing Eon fire ice from his muzzle had surprised him, given that he seemed to specialise in fire, but knowing that kitsune were tricky creatures he had brushed it aside, assuming that the being had merely been withholding some of his power for the sake of the rest of the world.
Especially as it was nothing to the surprise that followed the Kyuubi's movement to his free hand, with the shouted command to throw him.

Lung snorted at the memory. "For any being to wish to be thrown at an Endbringer, even a Kyuubi... ridiculous."

Though it certainly worked. He mused internally. Turning all nine of his tails to metal and smashing them against his head... Leviathan will be feeling that for some time, I am sure.

Unfortunately it had come at the cost of Eon being flung away and knocked out, but the Endbringer had withdrawn the water from the wave, allowing him to place the Capes he was holding to be placed back on the ground so that he could rejoin the combat.

Not that it had lasted long.

This time, the only warning anyone had had was the voice of Dragon sounding over the armbands, warning any Cape who didn't feel confident taking a powerful lightning strike to back away, and those that could to try and hold Leviathan in one place. Lung had guessed that it was something else to do with Inari, and so he had gone forward and done his best to pin Leviathan to the ground, leaving him struggling in his arms and giving the attacker a clear shot.

The feminine voice, despite being far louder than normal- echoing above everything, even the roar of water from Leviathan as it tried to drown him into letting him go- had surprised him, but not anywhere near as much as the large lightning bolt, almost white, that had lanced down from the sky for the briefest second before impacting.

Wincing again, Lung rubbed his side in remembered pain, the slight tingling from the electrical shock still there despite everything, and a shallow fragment of the true pain he had felt upon the hit. He was fairly sure he had heard even Alexandria shout, though that was more from surprise than pain, he knew. A second later, though, and it had been over, Leviathan darting from his loosened grasp and retreating to the ocean with all of the water behind him.

It'd taken a few moments to blink the spots out of his eyes, at which point he'd looked up to see a Cape with blue wings steadily dropping back towards the medical centre, with a familiar brown-red spot in their arms, and chuckled.

Now, though, he merely frowned, curious. Shadow was put onto healing, and not into combat. She said she was good, but I did not realise she was that good. I would expect that sort of power from the Kyuubi, but not from a six-tails. Admittedly, she said she had no idea how much would work on Leviathan, but then why would she be willing to come out into the battle instead of healing when she was doing so well...?

Humming to himself, he rubbed his side again, thinking back to the short conversation they had had in the medical room during a quiet moment, after he'd finished ramping down.

Lung walked into the medical bay, holding back a twitch as he looked around.

"Hello, Lung." Panacea greeted neutrally, coming over to him. In the background, a number of PRT troopers were lifting a Cape into a side room. "What brings you here?"

"I was looking for the little kitsune." He rumbled. "Shadow."

"She's just next door." The teen told him. "She'll probably be out in a moment, she's just finished a heal and I think she's due another top up on her powers, or whatever it is she's actually doing when she takes a break. I can go get her for you, if you want."

"There is no need." He shook his head, turning towards the door she'd indicated. "I will wait for her here."

He'd only waited a moment before the young kitsune walked out, originally heading for a bag sitting on one side before she'd noticed him and changed her course.

"Greetings, dragon." Shadow said softly, giving a low half-bow before settling into a relaxed but ready stance. "What can I do for you?"

"I merely wished to compliment you on your addition to the battle." He replied, inclining his head. "It was a powerful finishing blow, and I am glad for that. I have no wish for any more lands to go the way of Kyushu or Newfoundland." Shadow lowered her head again, scuffing the floor with a paw.

"It was a pleasure to be of help." She murmured. "It took a lot of power, but I think I'd pay just about any price to get rid of something like that. It's an offense to powerful beings, and to hydrokinetics." She looked up again at him, and he carefully crushed the smirk that was threatening to appear. "Are you alright, by the way? I know you were right next to Leviathan, and that Thunder was actually a bit more powerful than I'd expected. You have a regen normally, right?"

"I do." He nodded, absently touching his side where the bolt had screamed past. "And for the most part, I am well."

"That's good. Would you have a problem if I healed you anyway, just in case? I wouldn't want something getting stuck by accident, and it was a lot of electricity. I… might've overpowered that too much."

Lung stared at her for a moment- More powerful than she expected?- and knelt down, offering a hand to her. "You may make sure, if you wish."

"Alright, just a second then…" She placed her paw on his palm, closed her eyes, and barked sharply once. A rush of energy flowed through him, and the slight numbness in his side faded away, as did the twitching feeling of the shock in his muscles.

"Thank you."

"No problem, it's my own fault you were hurt by it, since I used it." Shadow shrugged, removing her paw. Her ears twitched slightly and she turned around to look over to the door she came out of, as a trooper stuck his head around the edge and beckoned to her. "Oh, I'm needed again. If that's all…?"

"It is." Lung bowed slightly to her, and she returned it. "Give my thanks to
Kyuubi Eon when he recovers."

"I will."

Lung shook his head. "There is no way to know for certain what they planned, without asking." He decided, reaching for the paper and pen that he always kept on his desk and opening to a clear page. "Perhaps it is time to do so. I may even get answers to some of the other questions I have…"

Carefully focusing on phrasing his missive, not wanting to offend the two kitsune or their team mate, Lung began to write.

"Ready to go?"

Aquamarina jolted out of her thoughts, wings tinkling as she moved, turning around and looking at the PRT trooper who had approached without her notice.

"I think so." She nodded, glancing back over the city. "I don't think there's anything else I can do here, anyway. Not really enough of a Brute to help with moving the buildings around, and I'm pretty sure we don't have anything more to do in search and rescue."

"Strider's coming back in a minute, and it's the LA group next." He told her. "So if you're going, might want to get set."

"Thanks." The trooper walked away, leaving her to her thoughts again as she stared back over the area.

This being the first Endbringer attack she'd ever personally been to, she didn't really have anything to compare it to, but she'd seen the pictures of the aftermath of a number of them, and she'd been to Canada once with her parents when she was younger and seen the devastation that had been left behind by Leviathan's attack on Newfoundland, even half a decade later.

To be able to look out over the city and see that, for the most part, it had been pretty untouched by the raging battle was incredible. Of course, there was lingering damage from the sole tsunami that had come in, and a number of places where attacks thrown about by the swarm of Capes on the field had missed and landed elsewhere, but aside from the obvious wreckage that made up the main 'arena' of the battle, Brockton Bay had managed to escape fairly unscathed.

And most of that seemed to be because of Shadow and Eon, and the fact that they were powerful enough to take on the Leviathan practically on their own, leading to the Endbringer being driven away in record time. Between them, they'd probably dealt more damage to the monster than had ever happened before, certainly enough that he felt that it was better to retreat than continue his rampage of destruction and death.

Speaking of death, though they didn't yet have completely accurate results- there were bound to be some more bodies in the rubble somewhere, in the end, and even so the death tolls weren't released for about a week or so after the attack- Aquamarina was pretty sure that this attack also had the lowest casualties of any, save the times where countries refused outside help in dealing with the attack.

The Simurgh didn't count, in her opinion. Mastering people wasn't killing them, and she seemed to do a lot more of that than the killing.

And, once again, that was likely due to Shadow's help in healing the number of lesser injured people, freeing up Amy to deal with the more seriously wounded, saving a number of the Capes that would've no doubt died if they'd had to wait for healing.

Those two saved a lot of lives, I'm sure. Aquamarina mused. Actually, make that three, given Swarm. A girl with insect control didn't seem like they would be the most effective at search and rescue when there was heavy rain and rivers everywhere, but somehow she'd managed to figure out a way around that weakness and still manage to do quite well at finding people who were injured. Team Inari, powerhouses of the attack, she chuckled to herself, before hearing the slight sound of Strider teleporting and turning around.

"Folks for LA?" He asked about, making a few others glance up. Aquamarina recognised them as mostly being LA Protectorate members, plus the twin villains that she occasionally clashed with when she went on patrols downtown. Despite the fact that they were normally enemies, she still offered them a nod of greeting which they returned.

The slight disorientation of Strider's teleport followed a moment later, when he was sure that no-one else was coming to join them, and Aquamarina shuffled her wings behind her to keep her balance. The room they landed in was quiet for a minute as Strider left again, before the two villains made their excuses and hurried away. She decided to follow their lead on that, making her way out of the room and through the corridors to the clearly marked out exit, taking to the air as soon as she could.

Using the more offensive part of her power, she did her best to silence the crystals in her wings as she made her way down into an alleyway, criss-crossing across the various paths as she did to make sure people lost track of her.

Triggering her Changer ability, Aquamarina waited in a dark corner for a few seconds to let her wings vanish back into her skin, wincing a little as they did, then pulled off the domino mask she was wearing and sighed.

"God, that was exhausting." She grumbled, rubbing her eyes with her free hand. "I just want to sleep for a week… ah crap, I still have dinner with my parents tonight, don't I." She shook her head, looking around. Nearly back home, though. Back to the apartment, shower, set an alarm and take a nap. She decided quickly, making her way out of the alley carefully. She'd chosen her apartment to be in a quiet part of the city, making it a lot easier to sneak in and out during the day if she was in costume, which was helpful now as she slipped down a side road and into the practically abandoned building. The downstairs was empty, as usual for that time of day, so she made her way to the elevator and went up to the second floor.

Pulling the spare key from under the rug, she unlocked the door and hurried inside, mentally making a note to return the key to its spot when she left to see her parents.

A half an hour later, she was drifting off to sleep with her phone on one side, trying to figure out exactly what about the attack she could tell her parents…

Eon grumbled quietly as he accepted the plate Swarm handed to him. Next to him, another plate was placed down as Shadow made a leap up to the bed she'd claimed in the medical room, taking hers back a second later, while Swarm sat down and pulled up her mask to allow her to eat.

The world was no longer spinning, which was nice, but it was more than a little annoying that his two team mates were babying him so much.

Then again, he had been thrown head-first into a wall after using most of his energy in attempting a move he'd never used and only knew the theory of…

Maybe they were right to be fussing a little.

"What time is it right now?" He asked, pushing his mental grumblings away and lifting the plate over to him. At least there was bacon.

"It's just after half two." Swarm replied, starting on her own plate and looking at him through the orange-tinted goggles. "The attack's been over for about nine hours now, it's probably the shortest one on record to have this little damage, and most of the Capes that came in from other cities and countries seem to have left for home. Pretty sure all these emergency building's are gonna be taken down soon, but the den's bound to be fine and my house looks like it is too, though the water's probably not going to work for a while because of Leviathan."

"I interviewed Amy a bit on what to expect, she said that there's probably going to be a lot of emergency stuff set up in the city for the people that lost their homes in the attack, and there's also bound to be a few people doing stupid things and needing healing, like drinking water that's not properly purified or getting into fights because they're angry, so I might end up heading into the hospital and seeing what I can do for them." Shadow added. "Though Amy said she'll do her best to keep up with that, since we might be busy."

"Busy?" Eon cut in, cocking his head. "Busy doing what?"

"That's a good question." Swarm agreed, looking down at the smaller fox.

"Oh, I never did say, did I?" Shadow blinked, blushing slightly. "Well, Swarm, you remember a couple of hours ago when Vicky and Amy came over to grab me for something?"

"Yeah…?"

"Well, basically, Amy had had the idea that maybe my Heal Bell could cure Master effects, since I'd mentioned it works on mental statuses." She explained. "I meant the Confused status, and I guess in some ways Sleep counts as one as well, but I guess Amy took it to mean mental Masters, and she wanted to test it. Lady Photon said she would get into contact with the PRT on my behalf once things have died down a bit, to see if they have access to a mental Master that we could use to test it on, or if they can help us get some victims for the same test."

There was silence. In the back of his mind, Eon fancied he could hear Kricketot.

"Swarm, where'd you get the crickets from?"

"Found them." The bug-user grinned shamelessly, putting the two crickets on the floor and making them run off.

"Alright then." Shadow looked at her team mate for a moment longer, then rolled her eyes. "Anyway, Lady Photon said that she wasn't sure how long it'd take to get things set up for me, but she'd send a message through Amy the next time we had a shift together to confirm it. Then it'd be up to us to do the rest with the PRT and Protectorate."

"That's… great." Eon tried, still thinking about it. "Really great, actually."

"Yeah, no-one's figured out a way to break Master effects on people without finding a way of getting the Master in question to reverse it, and when it comes to villains that's pretty hard." Swarm said, running a hand down Shadow's back. "Having access to the only person in the world- minus something we haven't heard of yet- that can break them…"

"That's a lot of power in one Pokemon's paws." Eon finished, blinking and shaking himself from his mind. "One heck of a lot."

"I'll be careful, Eon." Shadow rolled her eyes again at her leader. "I'm not stupid, I know that that gives Inari a lot of potential power with the Capes around here. I'll be careful with it."

"Good."

The three settled into companionable quiet for a little while, going back to eating, before Swarm paused.

"Hey, if your power can disrupt mental Master effects, why doesn't it do anything to me?"

"I don't know." Shadow admitted. "I figured that maybe it only works on certain types. Or maybe it's the Badge rule."

"Badge rule?"

"It's the nickname a lot of people back home use to talk about Move interactions." The Vulpix told her. "Some Moves are area of effect, focused on a room, like my Heal Pulse or Heal Bell, but they only affect people on my team, and they don't do anything to the dungeon Pokemon. It's the same with Moves that damage an entire room of Pokemon, too; they won't hurt anyone with a badge. No-one actually knows why, but as long as you're considering the other team a friendly one, nothing you do would hurt them, and vice versa. I wouldn't think that it'd work here, given that we're not in a dungeon, but I guess it's counting anyway?" She shrugged.

"Have I mentioned that your world is weird?" Swarm checked.

"You have, yeah." Shadow laughed. "And yeah, it is, we know. But anyway, if my power really does work on Master effects, even only certain types, it'll be really helpful to people."

Again they lapsed into silence, thinking about the recent events, until they all finished eating and Swarm collected the plates, offering to take them back. Shadow stayed in her seat, watching her leave, then turned to look at Eon.

"What actually happened with Leviathan, Eon?" She asked softly.

"What do you mean by that?" He asked in return, cocking his head slightly.

"I know you, Eon." Shadow sighed. "We've been in a team for more than a year and a half now, we've been in a lot of scraps, and I've seen you take hits larger than nine simultaneous Iron Tails to a practically immovable surface. I know how you work; if you weren't expecting to hit Leviathan with that Iron Tail, you would've had something else ready and waiting to hit him with; heck, normally you would've had something ready anyway as a follow-up attack, or would've been ready with something weaker to use the second you were in close. Even overboosted to the point you were at, and exhausted as much as you were, I know you would've had that ready." The second-in-command of Inari straightened and stared him in the eye. "What actually happened there, that made you stop for long enough to get grabbed by him?"

Eon held her demanding gaze for a few moments, thinking, then blinked and shook his head. "You're right about something else happening, little pix." He admitted lowly. "I got a Dimensional Scream when I hit him."

Shadow's eyes widened. "Another one?" Her voice dropped to near-nothing as well, and he strained to hear it. "What did you see?"

Dimensional Screams were weird situations for both of them. It happened with no apparent pattern, the only indication that either of them got was the sudden feeling of dizziness from Eon, and the number of times it'd caused trouble for them was pretty high given the rarity. They'd only ever met one Pokemon that could do it, and it was from them that Inari had gotten most of their information on them in the first place. Most the time, though, Shadow had found herself covering for Eon when the Scream occurred- like back with Tattletale, or Taylor.

"Past, I would think, but I don't really know." Eon shrugged, two tails winding around each other. "I don't know enough about Leviathan's attacks to make a guess… he was sinking islands, or an island, I'm not sure, but that was just to distract the Capes. He was hunting something under the water… a city covered by a shield, it made it invisible, but because it was in the water he could sense it. Leviathan used the water and the debris to smash the shield in, and break down the city into rubble. There were crystals in it, and some kind of oval thing, he thought it was just rubble but I don't think so."

"Why would Leviathan attack an underwater city?" Shadow murmured, her own tails twirling. "Was there something there he wanted, or was it just in the way?"

Eon frowned, trying to recall as much of that slowly-fading vision as he could. "I… don't think so. About it being in the way, that is. I think he had a reason for attacking that place."

"Why?" She asked the air. "If it was our world with this stuff, I can think of about a dozen reasons why he'd want to hunt down undersea cities; the Whirl Islands Lugia nest, the Shamouti border shrine, the Murky Ocean temple to Kyogre, the Temple of the Sea that belonged to the People of the Water, the Surrounded and Miracle Sea's, Crystal Waterfall, though that's more related to Suicune and I guess it's not really underwater, behind a waterfall and all…" Shadow shook her head to clear it, tapping a paw. "Momma probably knows more than that, and Gram even more, they're proper Talekeepers after all-"

"You're a perfectly good one as well, Shadow. Leaving to start a Rescue Team doesn't change that, and with how long your kind live you'll have plenty of time to catch up once rescuing gets boring for you."

"Our kind, Eon." Shadow reminded him, smiling slightly at his little pep talk even so. "But yeah, I know. Still wish I'd taken the time to learn more, might've helped us in some of the dungeons… but yeah, I don't suppose that's relevant here, they're all Pokemon stories after all. Maybe Swarm knows some human ones that might be related."

"We'll wait for her to get back and ask her."

"Ask me what?" Both Pokemon startled, twisting in midair towards the door to see Swarm had entered without them noticing, and was now closing it behind her and going back to the seat she'd claimed. "What's wrong, you two?"

"Long story, probably better waiting until we can head back to the Den before we tell you all of it, Swarm, but we were wondering what sort of stories your world has about underwater cities?" Shadow asked her, tails curving around her paws.

"Underwater cities?" She repeated, sounding confused. "Off the top of my head, only the one. Atlantis, a city that apparently sank under the ocean. There's probably more- definitely more, but I don't really know them. We could look them up, if we can find a place we can get internet from that's not the crap at my house."

"Atlantis…" Eon mused aloud, testing the word.

"That reminds me of one of the other human stories, though I don't think that one sank. Pretty sure Ho-oh burned it, though maybe that was the other one." Swarm and Eon both looked at her with raised eyebrows, and she blushed. "I went through an ocean faze as a kit, ok? Momma and Gram told me loads of stories about places like that."

"Of course you did." He chuckled. "Thanks, Swarm, that gives at least one likely option."

"No problem, but now I want to get back to the Den so you two tell me what the hell's going on." Swarm snarked back.

"It's two thirty-five, so sleep for a bit longer, then you'll probably be recovered enough for us to make our farewells and vanish back home." Shadow recommended. "Swarm and I might leave you on your own for a while to go take a look-see around, maybe see if they're letting people out of the shelters yet."

"They should be, from what I've heard in the past." Swarm put in. "They don't normally keep people in there for that long, and this Leviathan attack's been pretty light in terms of damage, so they'll want people out and back to doing things as soon as they can."

"Then we'll go and see if we can find your dad anywhere, and I can take the both of us back to your house invisibly. Depending on how your house is, you two can stay there or we can try to figure something else out with the Den." Shadow offered. "It wouldn't be too hard to expand out the camping area a bit, even if it's just me working on it, and you and Danny could just bring some stuff from your house to sleep over until things are better."

"That'd be nice."

"Then off you go, you two. I'll be fine here on my own, just don't leave it too late, ok?" The team leader said. Both females nodded and stood from their seats, Swarm offering her arms to Shadow as they left. Eon shifted on the bed, lowering himself onto his stomach before curling up slightly, resting his head on his tails and paws, and let himself drift back off to sleep.

Last edited:
Chapter 18- Recovery, letter, and organising.
"See anything, Swarm?" Shadow asked, sitting on the ground. Her team mate was standing next to her, head slightly cocked to the side as if she was listening for something, and glanced down when she spoke.

"Not yet." She replied. "I can see people coming out of the shelters now, but no sign of him yet."

"You know where he went, right?"

"I'm pretty sure. There's only so many shelters, and I think I know which one's closest to home, but I'm giving as many of them as I can a look over just in case." Swarm told her, going back to her search. "I think we'll need to move on, though. I can't see him anywhere at all."

"Moving on it is, then." Shadow nodded, letting Swarm pick her up again. "How many of these shelters are there, anyway?"

"There's… about four, I think?" She guessed. "I'm not completely certain. I think there was supposed to be a fifth built as well, but for some reason it never got finished."

"Not enough money, maybe?"

"Might be." Swarm sighed. "That's been a problem for this city for a long time, to be honest, and it's horrible. Would explain why no-one seems to know where it was, aside from 'somewhere Downtown', though I think the city probably still has access to the plans. We could look them up, if you cared enough."

"Eh, it's unfinished, so there's no point. No-one's going to be there, so it'll be completely useless to go there ourselves." Shadow looked up at her with a large grin. "Unless it's suddenly turned into a Mystery Dungeon, that is. Then it'd be worth looking into." Swarm laughed loudly.

"I somehow doubt that the abandoned, unfinished Endbringer shelter in the middle of the highly populated area is anything important, Shadow, let alone a Mystery Dungeon." Swarm said dryly. "I think we'd've noticed a ton of Pokemon pouring out of it if it was."

"Pokemon don't actually tend to leave the dungeons, y'know. For some reason. Some do, admittedly, but they don't normally go far if they do as well."

"Still would've noticed Pokemon leaving in that case." Swarm retorted. "After all, there's bound to be at least a few that would roam, right?"

"Odds… aren't against it, I guess." She agreed. "It'd depend on how big the dungeon inside was, and how many different types of Pokemon were appearing there, but there's always a chance that it could happen."

"Maybe I could poke about in there with my bugs, if we ever find the place."

"Some people think that dungeons are spatially… or dimensionally, or temporally, or something like that… unlinked." Shadow commented. "So if it was a Mystery Dungeon, it's possible that you wouldn't be able to sense your bugs in there unless you were also in there." The bug user paused.

"Have I mentioned that your world is weird?" Swarm said plaintively, making Shadow giggle.

"You have, yes." Sniffing at the air a few times, she suddenly sneezed, blinking. "Huh. I think I might've just smelled your dad."

"Seriously?" Swarm looked down sharply at her.

"Ye-es…?" She hummed back, sniffing again. "Gah, everything's still covered in water smells… but I think he's over that way." She pointed, making Swarm change direction and start searching with her bugs. "Hey, isn't that about the right way to be going to your home?" Swarm shrugged.

"Might be? I haven't found him yet."

"If he's going home, we could cloak and wait for him there instead." Shadow suggested.

"Can you hold a cloak on both of us for that long?"

"I… I think so, yeah." She nodded. "It'll be difficult, I think, because if I have where we are right then it'll be kinda a long distance, but I think it's possible. Actually, it's more than possible, I've done longer than this before I think."

"Then go ahead and cloak us both, and I'll be sure to get us back home quickly." Swarm promised, turning her head to glance around, while also checking out the area with her bugs. "I recognise this place, I think, so I can get back fast."

"Alright, get ready." The Vulpix closed her eyes, tails waving back and forth a few times, then said, "We're cloaked. Go ahead, just try and stay quiet. It's harder to cloak more sound."

"On it." Swarm whispered, immediately making her way through the empty streets towards her house. Despite the practise she'd had at silencing her steps- something the Cape had decided to learn almost the second she found out just how hard it was for her team mates to cloak louder noises, and had gotten very good during the intervening time- every movement sounded unnaturally loud in the dead silence that made up the city. There should've been people there, shopping, playing, living, but instead there's nothing.

Shadow didn't like that, she decided to herself, still focused on holding the cloak.

Luckily, it didn't take long at all for them to reach the house, easily slipping inside with the spare key that had been hidden outside for situations similar to this one, and drop the cloak.

"Are you alright, Shadow?" Taylor asked, pulling off her mask and shaking her head.

"I'm fine." She yawned back, blinking herself back into wakefulness. Taylor quickly put her back on the floor, and she tottered a bit before finding her balance again. "Bit stressful, but no more than usual, at least."

"That's good. Will you be alright to do it again going to the Den?"

"Should be. Might need a bit of a rest, but I can probably manage to take you both back there."

"You rest, then. I'll check the water first, see if it's any good, then we'll decide whether or not we need to go back to the Den." Taylor decided, leaving Shadow standing on the dining room floor and walking around going into the kitchen area, where she immediately turned on the tap. "Oh."

"Oh?" Shadow padded around the corner and looked up, then spotted the black water coming from the tap in splutters. "Oh."

"Yeah, that's not a great sign, really." Taylor sighed, turning off the tap, then started towards the staircase. Shadow followed part of the way, then stretched out in the doorway of the front room instead, listening to what was going on upstairs. She heard Taylor turn on a few more taps, followed by a few soft curses that Shadow took to mean that the water upstairs was just as blackened as it was down. "I think we'll need to be coming to the Den, maybe."

"If it's just the water, does it matter too much?" Shadow called back. "You'd have to remember not to put anything in the washer or under the sink, but you'd be fine otherwise, right?"

"The shower's also gonna be out." Taylor reminded, making her way back down the stairs. "Though that's probably going to end up being a thing in most of the city for the next few days, at least until they get round to fixing things."

"Maybe we should wait for your dad to get back first, so we can ask him what to do."

"Makes sense." She nodded, heading into the kitchen and sitting down, making Shadow get up to follow her. "What do you think we should do?"

"I'd think… stay." Shadow hummed. "Of course, we wouldn't have a lot of the problems you guys would, with showers not working and stuff, we'd just use the river or pond, or even the rain if we had to… heck, even Water moves. And there'd probably be a Suicune around to fix the water if something happened. But Eon and I would probably stay in the Den."

"Don't suppose you know any Water moves, then, do you?" Taylor tried. Shadow opened her mouth to reply, then paused, head cocked.

"I… don't think so. There's a Vaporeon in my family tree, I think… Pa's side of the tree, going back… four generations, maybe?" She mused. "So I suppose it's always possible that there's a Water Move in there somewhere, but even then I wouldn't be able to use it. You kinda need to be taught to use them, even if the Move's in your lineage, and I've never been taught."

"Well damn." Taylor sighed. "I guess we'll just wait for Dad, then."

"Probably the best idea anyway. Even if he does end up saying to move to the Den, he's your dad, and should have input on things to do with your safety."

"I know, Shadow." Both girls settled into silence, listening out with their different senses for Danny to arrive at the house.

Lung looked carefully over the missive, checking it over for anything that could possibly be construed as an insult or a challenge, before finally nodding slowly. It had taken some time to get it right- or at least reasonable- and the pile of paper in the basket at his side attested to that. Then again, given that he was dealing with kitsune, it was quite possible that he'd never manage to get the message right enough. In a way, any request could be taken as a challenge, with some very creative interpretation… but that was what kitsune did best.

Deciding he just needed to bite the figurative bullet and hope for the best, Lung sealed the missive in an envelope, melted a little wax over the fold, and pressed a seal onto it.

He was dealing with kitsune, so formal would be the way to go.

Now, to wait for Lee to return from his inventory of the warehouses, or give it to the next grunt he saw with instructions to go to the neutral camp and search for Eon or Shadow?

Wait for Lee, he decided. It would look better if his nominal second-in-command went with the request, rather than sending a random grunt to do it. That could be taken as an insult to them, like he was claiming that they weren't important enough in his mind to bother sending someone powerful to meet them. Preferably, Lee would also find Shadow, rather than going to Eon, since it would be two seconds meeting as equals, not putting one of their sides on a back foot by being less important.

Leaving the sealed envelope on one side of the desk, Lung rested his head in his hands and groaned. Now he remembered why he'd always hated the formality lessons he'd taken as a child. All it ever ended up in was headaches and paranoia from second-guessing your own decisions in an attempt not to offend…

Amy walked alongside the PRT officer, her sister hovering just behind her, as the trooper walked her into the main medical tent.

"Eon's still in there." The trooper told her, holding the door of the tent open for the two girls. "Swarm and Shadow were seen leaving about an hour ago, talking, and Shadow didn't have her little bag with her. Presumably she left it in here with Eon. No idea if they've come back yet, though."

"That's ok, I just want to check on him." Amy assured. "Shadow would've done her own check on him, I'm sure, but she doesn't have the sort of in depth read I can get."

"Plus Shadow likes you, so she won't get mad." Vicky added. Amy rolled her eyes, and the trooper chuckled.

"Be quiet, Vicky." The healer retorted, before knocking softly on the door. When no-one responded, she pushed open the door and headed in, her sister floating close behind while the trooper peeled off to go and do something else.

"Looks like they're still out." Vicky observed obviously, lifting slightly to see over her head. She immediately had to duck to avoid the edge of the door, making Amy roll her eyes again and head straight for the silvery-grey vulpine on the bed.

"Good afternoon, Panacea." He said lowly, making her jump. "What brings you here?"

"I- I was just planning on checking on you, making sure you were healing ok." She replied, nervous. "Sorry, I thought you were asleep."

"I was, a little." Eon yawned widely, lifting his head from his paws. "Shadow insisted I rest more. It's best to listen to her when she says that; she has the horrible tendency to use Hypnosis on you if you refuse to rest and heal."

Vicky laughed. "That sounds like experience talking." Eon chuckled as well.

"Only the once. We normally learn our lesson after that, waking from Hypnosis is rather more disorientating than waking up on your own." He grinned at her, flexing his neck and shifting his tails. "I feel alright though, Panacea. I believe you did the healing, yes?"

"Yeah, it was my work." She nodded. "Shadow probably could've done it too, but her ability seems to sometimes work poorly when there's too much to do, and she was a little too worried for me to want to trust her with something tricky."

"That's fair enough." He agreed. He pushed himself up properly and offered a paw to her, which Amy took.

"You're definitely recovering alright." Amy nodded, after a moment examining the vulpine. "Everything looks fine, at least."

"And I feel fine, like I said." Eon chuckled. "There's still a bit of a headache, which'll go away pretty quickly. It's just the result of overboosting, my brain needs time to cool down."

"Sounds like a Thinker power." Vicky commented, from the side of the room, leaning half-way up the wall.

"In a way, I guess they are." He nodded. "Boosting adds to my powers; better ranged and melee abilities, more defences, better accuracy with my ranged attacks, things like that. Might be more of a Trump, put that way, but from what I've heard, the headaches are a Thinker staple."

"Normally, yeah." Amy said, taking her hand from Eon's paw. "But you look like you're doing ok, so I don't really think you need to be here anymore, aside from waiting for Swarm and Shadow to get back."

"I don't actually expect them to be coming back, at least not today. I sent them off on a task, so she might drop by to get her bag, but I can take that back to the Den alright and leave you the room again." Eon replied.

"You're probably good to stay a little while longer, the PRT won't need these taken down for a little while yet, and given what you and Shadow did in the fight they're probably willing to make an exception for the two of you if you need it." The healer told him. "But if you want to go you can, and I can see about finding someone to tell Swarm and Shadow where you are."

"I can go out and find them in the city for you." Vicky volunteered. Eon shook his head.

"Thanks, Glory Girl, but no need. They'll be in one of two places, so I can check one and go to the other." He promised. "Besides, I'm sure you have better things to do than search around the city for a pair of Capes."

"Eh, not really." She shrugged. "Most of everything's done now, for Capes; no more search-and-rescue, moving debris around can be done by normal people with machines, and to be honest I think the city is gonna want to leave rebuilding for a little while, while everything else gets sorted."

Eon tilted his head slightly, seeming confused, so Amy stepped in, "Normally the cities like to make sure that all the Capes from other cities are back where they should be and the emergency shelters are all set up, then they start calling in companies which help with rebuilding. Normally I think priorities are fresh water, fixing the water supplies and that, and making sure anyone affected has temporary housing before they rebuild- that way they don't miss things." She explained, then shrugged. "Though given how little damage happened this attack compared to most, things are gonna end up getting kicked up a bit, I think."

"I see." Eon nodded. "I'll have to see if there's any way Shadow and I can help with rebuilding. Swarm might not be able to do much, but the two of us can lift things around."

"The city's most likely to use companies from inside the city where they can, just for the sake of saving a bit of money." Amy said. "But you'll probably find a few people that're willing to get some help from Capes."

"It's after an Endbringer attack, after all. People always want stuff sorted before the next one happens." Vicky added. Eon pursed his lips slightly, a few tails curling around each other.

"I see. I'll have to see what we can do, then."

"You could probably get requests to help if you just posted about it on PHO." She told him. "It can be a surprise to see how much stuff comes from there. Basically everyone uses it, after all."

"I might just do that." Eon smiled. "Thank you, Panacea."

"Always happy to help." She stepped away, while Vicky pushed off the wall to come float next to her. "Anyway, that's all I wanted to do. You can probably leave if you want, I don't really see a reason for you to need to stay and recover. If it's just sleep you can do that well enough in your base, I guess."

"Most likely." Eon carefully jumped down from the bed, shaking himself out once he hit the floor, and a moment later his eyes shimmered blue. Shadow's bag drifted between the two girls, making them blink, and settled next to him. "The Den isn't close to the attack site at all, so it should be fine. I think I will head out, then go find Swarm and Shadow."

"Good luck with that, then." Amy offered her hand to shake, which he did, then shook Vicky's as well. "Hopefully we'll see you around sometime soon. Probably when Aunt Sarah's able to get to the PRT about Shadow's possible anti-Master effect."

"We'll be certain to come along to that meeting with her." Eon told her. "A team should stay together, after all, no matter what." The grey fox wrapped a tail around the bag, lifting it- and making Amy raise an eyebrow, because she didn't think the tails were that flexible- and all three of them went towards the door. "I hope everything else you do goes well." He said, before trotting off. A few seconds later he went around a corner and out of sight, and Amy let Vicky pick her up to carry her back to the rest of the family.

And thought about the fact that that final sentence seemed to carry a lot more weight than a simple farewell…

Humming slightly to himself as he wandered through the deserted streets, Eon sniffed curiously at the air, looking for the scent of his two team mates. While he didn't need to find them just yet, it would be a helpful starting point in looking for them if he had to. Until then, though, he would be heading for the Den, then to Taylor's house.

Twisting down an alleyway with the plan to cloak himself and leave, he heard a vaguely familiar sound- the slight pop of a teleport- and perked an ear, dropping into the shadows.

He was fairly sure that no-one would be stupid enough to try attacking him in the aftermath of an Endbringer attack, while the truce was in effect, but there were always a lot of stupid people in the world- in either world, for that matter. So he'd be on guard.

The tallish form of Oni Lee made his way into the alley, the demon mask glancing around, and Eon half relaxed. With Lung having given the order to leave Team Inari the hell alone, apparently on the pain of pain, it wasn't likely that this was an attack.

Still…

"Greetings, Oni Lee." Eon rumbled, throwing his voice slightly. While he still hadn't properly learned Shadow's trick to throw her voice, he had it down well enough that he could put it on the other side of the alleyway and slightly up, where some sodden boxes were sitting. "What brings you here?"

"I was looking for you, Kyuubi Eon." He responded, freezing in place. The Parahuman moved one hand towards his pocket, making Eon prepare a flicker of flame in the back of his throat, only to let it fade when he took out a letter, holding it out towards the air with his other hand held up. "Lung-sama commanded me to pass this letter on, either to you or to your second. I saw you coming this way, and followed."

"I see." Eon nodded, forming an illusion to walk out of the shadows on that side. It strolled over to Oni Lee and, with slightly glowing eyes to mask where it was coming from, took the letter in an Extrasensory. "Thank you, then."

The illusion took a half step back, giving Eon the chance to cloak himself and step out of the shadows, breaking the seal on the missive and scanning over it.

With raised eyebrows, the real Eon stepped out of the way again, allowing the illusion to handle the appearance of conversation. "That's a very interesting idea, Oni Lee." It mused. "Tell your leader that I accept." Oni Lee nodded, then turned around, teleporting. His clone faded into ash a few seconds later, and only a few seconds after that, once Eon was vaguely sure that the scent of the Parahuman was far enough away, that he let the illusion vanish away.

He left the shadows with the letter still in his psychic grasp, then brought his tail around to let him put it in Shadow's bag.

"Interesting." He murmured to himself. "Very interesting indeed…"

Quickly making his way down the rest of the alley, then cloaking and ignoring the headache once again forming, Eon started running towards the Den, wanting to get back there as soon as possible so he could talk to Shadow and Swarm about the contents of the letter- whether they were there or at Taylor's house.

"Here's Dad." Taylor said, spotting him approaching the door with her bugs.

"No-one's with him, right?" Shadow checked, standing and shaking her fur out.

"He's on his own." She confirmed. "No need to cloak anything."

"Good."

Both females heard the front door open, and Taylor quickly called, "Hi dad!"

"Taylor?" He replied, sounding surprised, suddenly appearing in the kitchen. "I'm glad you're alright… what happened to your costume?"

"I got into a bit of trouble during the tsunami." She told him. "Things got a bit wrecked, so I'm gonna need to fix my costume, but I've got some spiders working on it at the minute, I took some of the ones working on my second costume to do it. I got healed fine, though. Panacea made sure of that, after Shadow and her friend found me." Danny nodded, looking away from where he was examining Taylor's costume and down at Shadow, still standing on the floor.

"I see. Thank you, Shadow." He smiled at her, then looked around. "Where's Eon?"

"He should still be in the medical bay, resting." Shadow sighed, scowling lightly. "But I doubt he is. Probably woke up about ten minutes after we left, decided he's rested enough, picked up my bag, and gone for a walk. Most likely to the Den, to see if we went there, and he'll probably leave my bag there too, then he'll come here. If he doesn't find us here, he'll go wandering."

Danny and Taylor both stared at her, and she shrugged. "Eon's done it before, though without too much of the wandering. He basically left the little medical area, went and made food, then went for a short walk while eating the food. One of our other team mates, Gallade, found him and dragged him back." Taylor giggled.

"That does kind of sound like Eon." She snickered. "He doesn't seem like someone who'd want to sit around too much."

"Oh, he does not." Shadow laughed. "Not even close. To be fair, I think the main reason is because we have a tendency to do things when he's not around, so he needs to play catch-up on it all the time. Like Trikani Meadow... I kinda feel bad about that one, to be fair."

"Trikani Meadow?" Danny asked, taking a seat and putting an arm around Taylor.

"One of the Mystery Dungeons that we went to, about... a year ago, I think. Man, been a while." Shadow pulled out a chair with Extrasensory and jumped up to the seat, bringing herself more up to level with her team mate and her father. "See, we went there on a request mission to find a lost Pokemon, a Bulbasaur- their mother was worried about them, and wanted a Rescue Team to help out. Eon got knocked down near the end of the Dungeon, though I managed to heal him a little, then we got attack by a Monster House-"

"A Monster House?"

"It's a room type in a Dungeon. It... basically send an alarm through the entire Dungeon that calls all the Dungeon Pokemon over there to attack."

"Sounds like a video game." Danny noted. "Or a D&D game."

"I guess?" Shadow said, sounding confused. "I'll have to check what that is, but that's Dungeon rules where we come from. They're pretty weird. But anyway, we were nearly at the end of the Dungeon- we hadn't managed to find the Bulbasaur, and we were getting close to the end of the Dungeon, which was making Eon a bit nervous..."

Eon sneezed slightly, then sighed. Shadow's telling stories again, isn't she. For Arceus's sake, can't she stop for more than a few days? Then again, her family are all Talekeepers. Guess it's expected that she keeps talking. Flicking his tails, he pawed around the edge of the forest for a moment, then caught himself on the loose end he'd left in the illusion late the night before and folded himself into it.

All of the vague feelings from the defensive illusions vanished completely, and Eon spared a moment to smirk proudly before starting to run to the Den.

The idea of using the Zoroark style illusion keystones- that's a mouthful and a half, he mused, should think of a better name for that.- as a way to support his own invisibility had been something Shadow had come up with, in the hopes of her being able to use it to make her own invisibility illusions more accurate while on the move. Unfortunately for her, the stones didn't work well when being moved around, but it did allow both of them to 'fold' themselves into the illusion, hiding in the already set up fields to give the impression of cloaking when they didn't have to.

Maybe someday we'll manage to figure out a way to make them mobile. Eon hummed to himself. When we get back, we'll have to collaborate with Zoroark from Team Darkrun about trying to make that work.

Reaching the Den, Eon unfolded himself from the illusion, ignoring the minor feeling of the illusions coming back into focus before fading again, then started searching around.

"Nope, not here." He noted easily. "Swarm's house, then. Might as well head there, then." Taking a moment to pick up a few things- mainly the Wonder Map, sitting in the Treasure Bag inside the Den- and checking on Shadow's garden near the stream, he left her bag inside and began loping towards Taylor's.

"So what do you plan to do?"

Danny tilted his head slightly, drumming his fingers against the table. At his side was Taylor, still partly in the Cape costume and making flies dance about on the table. Thankfully she'd cleared the bugs out of her hair, sending the spiders upstairs to their boxes. Shadow and Eon were on the other side of the table, Shadow straining slightly to look over the top.

After a few moments of thought, he replied to the larger Pokemon, "I have to admit, I'm not sure. Given the lack of damage to everything over here- compared to what the city and PRT were probably expecting, that is- there's not really much of a need to try finding somewhere else to stay over, but with the water…"

"Yeah, not having access to clean water is a problem." Eon agreed. "If we had the ability to reach back home, we might be able to get a Suicune or something to come and help out- given that Hoopa sent us here, he might be willing to help us contact them for this. But since we're on our own, we need to wait for the locals to get everything together and fix it."

"Do we know how long that'll be?" Shadow asked.

"Whenever there's a Leviathan attack that leaves a lot of water pollution, it's the first priority to get that sorted out." Taylor said. "Because temporary housing is a lot easier to handle dealing with; importing bottled water from other places can get expensive and troubling to distribute around people, especially for the ones that don't manage to get into emergency shelters." All three of them looked at her, and she blushed. "We talked about it in World Issues for a few lessons once. It's one of the one's I remember pretty well."

"Helpful." Eon smiled. "So, we know that one of the first priorities is getting water back, which is good. It's likely that some of the areas of the city are going to get water back sooner, same with power in the places where that was knocked out, but we can at least hope that you'll get it back sooner rather than later. If you don't, there's always the option of moving in to the Den for a few days-"

"I'd rather that was kept as an emergency option, Eon." Danny interrupted. "It'll make it harder for me to get into work, for a start. And while I'm not opposed to camping, it's probably a better idea to stay at the house in case someone decides to come calling around to check on things. Wouldn't be very good if they found us missing."

"True, true." Eon nodded, and Danny could imagine he was thinking of what sort of reaction he would have in that sort of situation.

The PRT or police would probably take it as a reason to arrange for a pair of places on the memorial stone, for a start.

"Right, we'll leave the extended Hebert family camping trip for another day, then. You guys can stay here, obviously. Shadow and I will stay at the Den, but we'll be out all the hours we can manage and offering our help with whatever's going on." The Ninetales flicked his head a little towards the Vulpix. "Taylor, I think you should stay home for a few days. Focus on fixing your costume, and take a break. I don't see anyone needing to patrol for criminals for the next few days anyway, with the Endbringer Truce still in effect." Suddenly Eon's eyes glowed blue, and a letter floated out of the bag on the floor and placed itself on the table. Danny peered over at it, noting the envelope was already opened, and had been sealed with a deep red wax, while Eon continued, "And then there's this."

"What is it, Eon?" Shadow asked, as Taylor took the letter and unfolded it.

Danny read it over her shoulder, both eyes widening.

"Well." The sole Cape in the room mused, as she handed the letter off to her second-in-command. "That does look interesting."

Chapter 19- PHO, grief, and deal
■​
Welcome to the Parahumans Online message boards.
You are currently logged in, WingedOne
You are viewing:
• Threads you have replied to
• AND Threads that have new replies
• OR private message conversations with new replies
• Thread OP is displayed.
• Ten posts per page
• Last ten messages in private message history.
• Threads and private messages are ordered chronologically.
You have three infractions and seven warnings.
■​

♦ Topic: Post-Leviathan Thread
In: Boards ► Places ► America ► Brockton Bay
Tin_Mother
(Original Poster) (Moderator)
Posted On May 16th 2011:

Alright.

Here's your thread, everyone. We know the rules here. I don't care what happened- Leviathan spent the entire time break dancing, the Simurgh showed up and ended the attack herself with a club made out of clouds, God him/her/themselves dropkicked the Endbringer- nothing to do with the attack itself is to be discussed here. Obviously the two week silence is still in effect, and obviously we don't say anything about or speculate on any deaths that may have happened in the attack. This policy is enforced by a week long ban.

And that really shouldn't need to be said anymore.

This thread is not for anything to do with what went on during the actual attack. I don't care who's saying it, it's not happening here, your post will be deleted and you will enjoy a ban.

This thread is for people to comment on the aftermath of the attack, talking about repairs, situations with the local gangs/the PRT/the Protectorate, and for people to mention anything interesting going on with the local Capes.

Please, for the love of everything, keep to the rules this time. I'm seriously beginning to see why the other mods don't like me doing this, but at least it keeps it out of the other threads more.

Also, remember that I won't be editing this post to add things in unless it's really important, because with how quick these threads explode I'd be here all week doing just that.
(Showing page 15 of 8562)
►Echorealm
Replied On May 16th 2011:​
At least the water situation seems to be doing ok there, right?​
I mean, I know that's one of the first things people try and deal with after Leviathan, and from what I've heard it's been going really well.​
►PoisonedCell
Yeah, water's doing ok, actually. Lot of the city is back already, though you need to spend some time draining them out first. Whatever company they got doing that, we need to figure out ways to send them to other Leviathan zones after the attacks, it's ridiculous.​
►Answer Key
Is it true that there's some Capes over there helping out with the building stuff? If so, that's pretty cool, but all I've heard are rumours, no images at all.​
►LukeLance
Ask and ye shall receive!​
Dauntless and Miss Militia, helping move piping around.
Hookwolf helping cut planks to size.
Othala granting some of the builders superstrength to carry stuff.
Glory Girl carrying cement up into a big truck.
►Bagrat (Veteran Member) (The Guy in the Know)​
Can't believe you missed this one, @LukeLance.​
Lung, with some gang members, carrying around cinder blocks.
►Helotan
holy crap lung was there too? thats so cool, wonder why he was helping.​
►AllSeeingEye
Probably because he lives here too, @Helotan! Just about every Cape that can help does, you know.​
Then again, it's not just the Capes either, apparently. There's been reports of gang members, ABB and E88, running patrols around the streets looking out for trouble, because the Capes are out of commission for the most part.​
Couple of pics here, though I've got nothing on the rumours that there's no fighting between them when they run into each other, nor the ones about them possibly co-operating to keep things calm.​
►Brocktonite03 (Veteran Member)​
Dang, that's cool. Wish this city was this calm all the time...​
Anyway, got a bit of video for you folks, Shadow and Swarm out and about on the same street as Glory Girl. From what I can see Shadow's making things float around, while Swarm was just keeping an eye on things. After a bit though, Shadow went inside and Swarm wandered off with Glory Girl, apparently to get food.​
Interesting that GG apparently let Swarm and Shadow both call her by name, though.​
►Antigone
Apparently GG was later seen flying off without either of them, looking pretty thoughtful. Guess they had a talk about something... wonder what?​
►AllSeeingEye
How much fun it is to build stuff like that, maybe? Perhaps we'll get to see a bit more care from Glory Girl now, given that she's been helping put stuff back together and has seen how much work it is.​
No offence, GG, but you can be a bit of a bother.​
End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 8560, 8561, 8562
■​

May 16th, 2011. Monday.

"Hey, isn't that Glory Girl over there?" Swarm pointed, looking down at Shadow.

"Just a minute." The Vulpix murmured, her eyes glowing pink. She finished moving the blocks around, placing them where she'd been asked by the construction workers. She got a thumbs up for her trouble, and she waved back before following Swarm's hand. "Yeah, I think it is."

The flying Brute seemed to be making trips back and forth across a street, moving bags of something from the road side into the back of a truck. Her normal tiara was missing, replaced by a hard hat, and she was wearing a bright orange jacket over her standard costume, which made both girls chuckle a little.

Admittedly Swarm was wearing the same- even though she was only doing guard duty for the looks of things it was still a construction site- and arguably looked more ridiculous in them, the idea of a highly-invulnerable Brute in a hard hat to protect her from rubble seemed silly.

"She looks like she's doing pretty good." Shadow added, still tracking the girl. "We should go and talk to her."

"Shadow!"

"Right after we finish with this." She finished, putting the illusion of an orange safety jacket over her body and trotting over to the builder who'd hailed her.

Swarm listened absently through her bugs as he showed Shadow some things on a blueprint, pointing out where they'd need to go in the actual physical building in front of them, and explaining where they'd like her to help out. Her little team mate was very attentive, and seemed quite knowledgeable about the subject, to her surprise, but Eon had mentioned once about having helped build their own home in the part of town they lived in- mostly designing it, but clearly they'd both picked up quite a bit from that experience alone.

Most of it went straight over Swarm's head, though, so she just kept an eye on things over there while searching the area for any possible troublemakers.

Not that any was expected. Aside from the obvious fact of the Endbringer Truce still being in effect from yesterday, she, Shadow and Glory Girl weren't exactly hiding their presence, there were construction workers everywhere who'd probably take offence to their work being interrupted- she'd even recognised a few people who worked with her dad in the Docks, running about being helpful- and she was almost certain that she'd seen a number of both Empire and ABB gangers wandering about in a sort of patrol rota with her bugs.

They'd crossed paths a few times, and each time she'd readied herself for a fight she'd have to intervene in, only for the groups to nod… not amicably to each other, but at least peacefully, before walking past each other. One of them had stopped to trade information on difficult areas, offering cigarettes all around while they talked.

It had been odd to observe, and Swarm couldn't help but wish it happened more often.

Not the Endbringer bit, though. That hadn't been fun.

Looking around again, she noticed Glory Girl emptying another bag into the truck- it looked like cement- before landing next to a couple of people. They spoke for a few moments, the blonde nodding and taking off her helmet and jacket. She offered them back to the one builder, who waved her off with a laugh. She seemed surprised, based on her body language, but nodded, folding the jacket up and putting it in the hard hat before taking off again.

Curious as to how the girl was doing, and thinking that Shadow would probably want to speak to her friend again to check on her as well, Swarm set a few bugs to fly circles around her, catching her attention. She looked around rapidly, then caught sight of the bug Cape standing down the street and began flying towards her.

"Hey there Swarm!" She grinned, touching down next to her.

"Hello, Glory Girl." She replied, smiling slightly in return. "You seemed to be having fun."

"Heck yeah, was I! It's not every day I get to actually help build things, rather than just trash stuff. It's pretty fun." The girl laughed. "And you can call me Vicky, like Shadow does."

"Ok, Vicky." Swarm acknowledged. "And I suppose it would be a change of pace to get to build things, even if you're just moving stuff from one side of the road to the other. I'm not doing much of that, just playing guard. No Brute powers or magical telekinesis like the others."

"Shame, that." Vicky commiserated, looking around. "Where is Shadow, anyway?"

"She's inside, helping hold some stuff up inside so the builders can put it all into place." Evaluating the face of the Cape in front of her for a moment, then glancing upwards to see the time- already approaching midday- she made a decision. "Say, fancy running to Fugly's and grabbing some burgers? I know I could do with lunch, and Shadow probably could as well when she gets done inside." Poking around the inside of her pack with a firefly for light and a few of the better-sighted bugs, she checked how much money she had on her, then added, "It's on me, if you want."
Vicky looked conflicted for a moment, then nodded. "Sure, I could go for food. Is Fugly's even open, though?"

"I checked on the way over, trying to figure out where we could go for food during the day." Swarm said, as she headed over to the building being worked on. "It's open, somehow. The Boardwalk managed to do pretty ok all things considered, which is nice. There's also a bunch of restaurants Shadow and I were hoping to grab places at if it wasn't. Shadow's curious about Thai food, but that place doesn't do takeout."

"Is that the place down on fourth street? Kinda little place, out of the way corner?" She asked, to a nod. "I've eaten there before, it's nice. Amy loves the panang nua there. Definitely would recommend that, when you've got time." She gave her mask a glance. "How would you manage to eat there, by the way? I guess the mask would make that harder."

"Shadow or Eon could use that illusion from yesterday, it'd work fine." She shrugged. "Might make it difficult for the people that want to take pictures of the Capes eating out, but we could probably either make it only cover the lower bit of my face, or just adjust it a little in some other way that'd let them have their photos fine."

"Huh, cool." Vicky floated behind her as she went over to one of the builders, getting pointed to her team mate a moment later.

"Hey Shadow, Vicky's dropped by. The two of us are going to go grab food, burgers ok?"

"Burgers are fine, thanks." Shadow said absently, focused on floating the boards into the right positions as people worked. "If I'm done before you, I'll come find you guys."

"We shouldn't be long." Swarm told her, before turning and leaving. "Seeya later." Quickly, she went over to one of the builders standing over a blueprint. "Hey, do you want this back? I'm heading away for a bit."

"Nah, keep 'em, the boss won't mind." The man waved off. "There's always more where it came from. Consider it a souvenir."

"Thanks." Swarm smiled, then went back to Vicky, shrugging off her jacket and folding it up, stuffing it into her helmet like she had. "Alright, everything's good, let's go get burgers made of heart attacks."

Vicky laughed, floating alongside her as they left the building site and quickly turned into an alleyway, Swarm using her bugs to guide herself through the minor maze towards the burger place.

"I could've flown us both, you know." Vicky offered, after a few minutes of quiet walking. "You're a lot taller than Ames is, but I could still manage."

"True, but it's not too much of an inconvenience to walk, really. And it's a rare day when a pair of Capes can walk through alleyways without having to intervene in a random mugging or something." She grinned, as Vicky laughed again. "I'd like to make the most of it."

"I can take that as a reason." She nodded. "Seriously, Brockton Bay gets so many muggings, it's absurd. Nice of it to be quiet for once, even if the reasons aren't the best."

"Absolutely." Swarm took a left, checked around once with her bugs, then exited the alley, ending up almost on the main street, about three stores down from Fugly Bobs.

"Huh, I never knew about this." Vicky commented, looking around as they went down the mostly abandoned street.

"I'm not surprised, given that you seem to fly everywhere." Swarm snarked. "Not that I wouldn't do it either, if I could, but being ground bound means you tend to learn a lot of little shortcuts around town." She turned sharply, pushed open the doors, then grinned under her mask as the few people in there went silent and turned to stare at her.

Vicky floated in behind her, hovering at her side as they made their way to the counter, Swarm working a group of spiders to pull some twenties free of the bundle and bring them up to the top of the backpack while others opened it up for her to take.

"Two sets of burgers and medium fries, please." She requested, increasing the amount of insect buzz in her voice slightly. "Vicky?"

"Same, if you don't mind- oooh, they do wings here now?" The Brute noticed. "Maybe we should get some to try as well."

"Shadow tends to like wings, so we might as well." Swarm nodded. "Coke?"

"I'll take Coke."

"And three Cokes, medium, all to go."

"Ahhh…" The server at the counter stuttered, then recovered, quickly typing the order up. "That'll be $30.95, please."

Swarm handed over a pair of twenties, waited a moment for the change, then the two Capes stood over to one side and chatted about nothing in particular while waiting for the order. She had Vicky drop the money into her backpack for her, the spiders closing the pouch again, then nearly five minutes later left with three bags of burgers and fries, a bag of wings, and a takeout plate with three Cokes on it.

They made it around the corner back into the alley before they started laughing.

"Oh, my god." Vicky gasped. "That was hilarious."

"Did you see their faces?" Swarm chortled. "I've never seen a group of people look so stunned in my life."

"That poor server." She grinned. "I've seen them look like that before, but normally only when the eight of us in New Wave all show up at once for food. Or sometimes when my aura gets away with me, but normally Mom yells at me when that happens and makes me apologise." The girl kept smiling for a moment, then realised what she'd said. Swarm saw her face drop and shifted the Coke to an easier grip in one hand, leaving the other free to wrap around her.

"Hey, are you alright?" Swarm said softly, then mentally facepalmed. Of course she's not, you idiot.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She lied indistinctly from her shoulder. "It just kinda… hit me again, y'know? Mom's not gonna be around to yell at me the next time my aura goes out of control when we're eating out, or the next time I fly into a building because I got distracted by something shiny in a window." She sniffed. "Or because I forgot to do an essay because I was out patrolling all the time, or spending time with my boyfriend. And she's not gonna ever be able to congratulate me because I did something really good on patrol, or got great marks in an exam." She leaned back, rubbing at her eyes. "I just… obviously I knew all that, but it just kinda hit me for real that it's never gonna happen again." Swarm nodded, searching around with her bugs, then tapped her arm.

"Hey, take us up to that building there, would you?" She requested, taking a hold of the two bags the flying Cape was holding. Vicky stared at her for a moment, then nodded, lifting her up. They both sat on the edge of the building, Swarm putting down the food, and she opened her arms to Vicky while sending Shadow a text with her bugs. "I had… a similar problem when my mom died, though that was years ago for me. I wasn't a Cape then, though I've wondered a lot what she would've thought of me doing Cape stuff and what she would've thought of my team. But when she died, it took kinda a while to sink in that she was gone. I was just… numb, for a while, like I was half expecting someone to jump out at me and tell me it was all a prank, then one morning I just woke up and burst into tears because it hit me that she was gone. We used to do loads together; she'd help me with my homework and she'd let me help with her marking- not really, I'd make little notes on a piece of paper with a pencil about things I thought were wrong, and she'd put them down if they really were. But we did loads of stuff, and it hit me that morning that we'd never be able to do that ever again."

Swarm shrugged, resolutely ignoring the tears in her eyes. "But I still had dad, and some friends, and they helped me out with it."

Vicky was quiet for a moment, still burying her face in Swarm's shoulder. "I'm sorry about your mom."

"And I'm sorry about yours, too." She said quietly. "But I manage by thinking about how she must be feeling about me being a hero, and helping people. Even though I don't do much, compared to my team mates, I still do my best to help out and be a hero, and I hope I make her proud with what I'm doing."

"I made the same promise to myself yesterday." Vicky admitted. "It was after that thing with Shadow. I want to be a better person, someone who'd make mom proud for being a good hero. That's part of why I was out there today, helping with the building. I want to be a good person and help people, not just be a flashy hero that fights crime and wrecks people's shit. I kinda want to be more like you guys are, to be honest; you're all good people, you patrol and help with big and little problems, but you're always so nice to anyone you see on the street too. I just… want to be more helpful, and try not to make any mistakes, and hopefully mom'll be proud of me for that."

"You're not gonna make no mistakes, Vicky." Both girls startled slightly at the sound of another voice behind them, and turned to see Shadow jumping down from a wooden plank that she had used to carry herself up with her telekinesis. "Literally everyone in the world is gonna make mistakes. We made mistakes, both starting out and even now. But just do your best, and I'm sure your mom would be proud of you doing that and taking things seriously."

The three of them sat there for a while, Vicky slowly recovering from her sudden breakdown, when Shadow came in again.

"I know what you mean about things just hitting you like that, though. About… fourteen months ago, give or take some, about a year after Eon and I started our team, we got a letter that meant we had to go visit my aunt and uncle. She'd had a clutch of eggs, and one of them had hatched wrong." She pursed her lips, looking down. "Did you know eggs can have twins?"

"Really?" Swarm asked, while Vicky blinked at the non sequitur.

"Yeah, but it doesn't normally work out. The two babies in the egg can't share the yolk in there properly, so normally one of them ends up pretty weak when they hatch." Shadow sighed. "For my aunt, though… neither of the babies survived hatching. The yolk split weirdly, so neither of them lived when they hatched. She was absolutely devastated; she'd already picked names and everything, Eltria and Destine for girls, or Felix and Leimen for boys. There were a couple of others in the clutch, too, and they were fine, so she clung on to those while everyone got together for a funeral for them." She pawed at her eyes, while Vicky and Swarm both ran hands down her back. "It really, really sucked, and she was grieving for ages. She had so much trouble getting up some days, because she didn't want to have to deal with it." She lashed a tail and looked up at Vicky. "But she kept getting up for the sake of the other little ones, because she knew she had to do something. Sometimes my uncle had to get her up, or sometimes the others in the town would come to the house and get them up, and just drag them both to a park or something, to make them do things, until they got better. They were still recovering when we came here, but they were a lot better when we last spoke.

"So do me a favour, and make sure Amy gets out of bed on the days she doesn't want to, even if it's just to go for a walk down the road. Get Amy to do the same thing for you, if you don't want to do anything that day and just want to cry; at least cry with your sister. And, if neither of you want to do anything, send me a message on PHO. I'll show up at your door with a pint of ice cream and nick your spoons, we can watch terrible movies or something." She reached up and laid a paw on Vicky's leg. "Let the grief run its course, sure, but don't just wallow in it, ok?"

"Yeah." Vicky nodded, swallowing heavily. "I can do that, sure."

"Good." Shadow smiled, then reached behind her and telekinetically grabbed the bags of food, now slightly cold. "Now, I smell wings in here."

"Leave some for us, you silly trickster." Swarm scolded, reaching for her own bag. "And give me a cloak, will you?"

"Sure." She flicked her tail again, blurring her team mate's face, then dove through the bag again. After a while, she began telling stories again, just rambling about some adventures, even though she knew Vicky wasn't listening, the girl soon flying away with a murmured goodbye.

"What sort of Pokemon were your cousins?" Swarm asked lowly, curious.

"A Rockruff and an Eevee. Aunt was a Jolteon, Uncle was a Lycanroc." She replied softly, slightly miserable. "I miss them. I wrote to them about a week before we left, saying I probably wouldn't be around for a while, and that I was glad she was getting better. I hope she's still doing well."

"She will be. She's got her family, and all of yours, and from what you've said there's a lot of you." Swarm assured her. "She'll be fine, and when you go back, you can tell her all about the stuff that happened here."

"Yeah…" She mused. "I can."

[/indent] (Showing page 8559 of 8563)
►Aloha
Replied On May 19th 2011:​
To be honest, there's apparently been a lot of work thrown into things the last few days. Its pretty cool to see, actually, I've looked out of my window and just seen construction going on, but it's amazing how quickly everything's happening.​
►bothad
at least things are good now taken very little time​
►Singlet
Things really are going quick, and I for one love it!​
Wish we could talk about why...​
Ah well, it's only two weeks of silence before we can begin speculating and/or announcing what went on during the attack, right?​
►GellSine
If you want to be technical, it's ten days. But yeah, @Singlet, I get what you mean, I'm desperate to know what happened!​
Not desperate enough to risk a ban, though. :p
►BrocktonBayMod (Moderator)​
And that's a good thing, @GellSine, we tend to have enough work in these threads as it is.​
►Acree
coughVoidCowboycough
Sorry, something stuck in my throat there.​
Anyway, anyone else hear the rumours that Team Inari were supposed to be having a meeting at Somer's Rock today? No idea who it's with, maybe someone in the Protectorate?​
►Laotsunn (Kyushu Survivor)​
Ah.​
I didn't hear anything about that...​
But I did hear from a buddy that Lung apparently had business today, and someone was driving him to Somer's Rock...​
►Chrome
...​
Damn, really?​
►Arombee
What would Lung want to talk to Team Inari about? Is he going to try and persuade them to join the ABB? Could Swarm even do that? No-one knows what colour she is.​
►AllSeeingEye
I highly doubt Team Inari would be leaving the side of the heroes, @Arombee. They like being nice too much, from what I've seen. And you might want to back away a bit on the thing with Swarm, might come too close to speculating on an identity, and we wouldn't want to give the mods more work.​
But yeah, no idea what Lung might need to say to Team Inari. Ought to be an interesting meeting to be a fly on the wall in, that's for sure...​
End of Page. 1, 2, 3 ... 8557, 8558, 8559, 8560, 8561, 8562, 8563

■​

May 19th, 2011. Thursday.

"All set, girls?" Eon asked softly, under the cloak of the illusion.

"Good to go, Eon." Swarm replied, while Shadow just nodded. "Lung's not there yet, though it's nearly the meeting time."

"Can't see him anywhere?" He checked.

"Nowhere."

"Then we're going in now, and we'll wait for him." The leader decided. "Might as well, and I somehow doubt he'll keep us waiting too long. Don't suppose either of you want to order a drink?" Shadow snorted.

"Do they even do drinks other than alcohol here?"

"I don't think they do alcohol at all, actually." Swarm commented, as she organised herself into the third 'slot' of the team. "Given that this is a meeting place, and normally used by people who have pretty high tempers and a lot of reason to disagree over things. Alcohol seems like a poor choice of things to be serving."

"That's true."

"Still wouldn't want a drink, though." She added. "I'd assume the place takes care of things, and I know Shadow can do an illusion to cover the fact that my mask's up, but I don't think I'd like to sit there drinking something when there's a conversation like this going on. Even if I can't contribute much."

"You contribute what you need to, in the end." Shadow shrugged. "Sometimes, after a Dungeon, I've been in the report meeting and never said a word, because I didn't have anything to add that my team mates hadn't handled just fine. If you need to put something in, because you think it might be helpful or because we forgot it, then you do."

"Right." Swarm nodded. "So, time to go?"

"Sure thing." Eon agreed, dropping the illusion over the three. They made their way into Somer's Rock, nodding in greeting to the woman by the bar, and sat down in a seat with a good view of the door.

After a few minutes of waiting- Swarm leaning back in her seat slightly, Shadow curled into a sort of ball on hers, and Eon sitting bolt upright in the centre- Swarm stiffened, shifted a little to her left, and tapped the very end of one of Eon's tails, making him flick an ear towards her.

"Car just entered my range. Black, big car, I think maybe a limousine, no bugs on the inside and the windows are up so there's no chance of me getting some in there. Blacked out windows too, by the way, and heading towards us based on the movement I'm getting."

"Guess that's probably Lung." Eon muttered, straightening a little further. Shadow, hearing them, huffed a little and sat up as well. Swarm remained where she was, just shuffling back to her original place.

Another few minutes later, and the Dragon of Kyushu strolled into the pub as well, waving off the bartender and coming straight to their table.

"Greetings, Team Inari." He offered a half bow before sitting down. "I hope I did not keep you too long."

"Not at all, Lung." Eon returned, with a courtly nod. "Now, you made the request for this meeting, and from the tone of your letter, I'd assume you have questions."

"I, and every other who saw your team's part in the attack a few days ago, and your actions since." Lung rumbled, a deep chuckle in his voice. "But yes, Kyuubi, I have questions. I was hopeful that you would answer them."

"Naturally, that will depend on what the answers are." Eon quirked a smile. "But go ahead, Lung. We will answer what we will."

"As you will." The masked dragon looked at the three for a moment, evaluating them. Eon easily met his gaze in return. "Shadow." The Vulpix tilted her head. "How powerful are you, in truth? To take out Leviathan in that way… I do not believe any Parahuman has ever managed to do such a thing." He paused. "Leviathan has been driven off through damage to itself before, however it is rare. Normally it seems only to leave after some time. Not even I, in Kyushu, was able to fight it off in time."

Trading a look with Eon, who nodded and ceded the floor to her, Shadow thought for a moment. "You know what we are, yes?"

"A kitsune, and your Kyuubi partner."

"Basically, yes. Eon's older than me- I'm not certain how much older, we leave that sort of thing alone- but old enough to be who he is, obviously. We were sent here by a friend, a portal-maker, to help fix things here. We came in not knowing what we were supposed to fix, admittedly, but we found that out fairly quickly." She explained. "It was rather confusing to see what we were up against, there's far more powerful… spirits, I suppose, than us that would've been of use, but we've managed so far."

Lung's eyes had gone wide, enough to see through the mask.

"Our world has many of these spirits on it." Eon put in. "Some weaker, some stronger. For the most part, we like to help. Personally, Shadow and I were both unaware of your world until the portal-maker, considered one of the most powerful, came to us to help it. I feel it's likely that the situation is the same for most of those in our world, though why I wouldn't know."

"Perhaps it's something similar to Earth Aleph." Swarm suggested. "People here didn't know about there until the day the portals started opening and we made contact."

"Perhaps, but there are some powerful spirits back home. I find it hard to believe they were unaware of here." Eon shrugged, rippling.
"Whatever it might be, though, we were sent here by our portal-maker friend to help. Perhaps dealing with the Endbringers is what we were brought here to to do, perhaps it's something else." Shadow continued, bringing their attention back to her. "Whatever it is, we'll do our best to help."

"I see." Lung murmured. "And your strength?"

"A lot of that was from dumb luck, if I'm honest." She said honestly. "All of us- from the kitsune and Kyuubi to those spirits that look like turtles or mice- have the ability to boost ourselves in different ways, or weaken others. That's... what I did when I first met you, in fact. We call these abilities Moves; the one I used on you was Charm, which lowers the physical attacking power of whoever's targeted. I can chose not to target someone, which spreads the effect out across everyone in the room- most Moves target by room- but at cost of some of the power."

"Ahhh, so you were using that on Leviathan, then." Lung said, in tones of realisation. "Or rather, Eon did, given that you were healing."

"Actually, no." Eon admitted. "While the Moves worked fine on you, and seemed to work ok when we used them against other Capes, we weren't certain whether or not they would work on an Endbringer, given that they don't seem to work the same way as normal Capes from the things we found online. So I didn't bother trying to weaken Leviathan; I'd've just been wasting time if it hadn't worked." That, and I don't have that many great debuff Moves anyway. Eon added privately. Should work on that.

"Instead, both Eon and I focused on using those Moves to boost ourselves." Shadow took over. "Eon especially. None of my own abilities would help me in healing, which is what I was doing, aside from a… meditation technique, I suppose, which helped me focus. Eon, on the other paw, being the one doing more combat, would've been boosted a lot more."

"I believe that's likely why you were escalating so quickly when we fought before you went after Leviathan." Eon continued. "I'd boosted myself up to almost maximum, and while that did degrade as the fight went on, I put them all back up as soon as you went back into combat with Leviathan."

"So that is how you did so much damage to Leviathan, Kyuubi." Lung nodded understandingly. "But Shadow?"

"I was boosting as well, from the moment Eon was fully healed to the moment I fired that Thunder." Shadow told him. "The technique I was using, Calm Mind, helps make my ranged attacks more powerful, and Charge helped it along as well. It makes my electricity more powerful, after all, and it was also helpful for actually letting me use the attack I wanted. Normally spirits that can do that can also make their own clouds, being lightning-spirits, or dragon ones. I can't do that, I need someone else to do it for me and to Charge myself to the right polarity to let me call down lightning afterwards." She grinned widely, shrugging a little. "I got incredibly lucky with which way I was Charging."

"I… see." He stumbled. "And the power behind it?"

"Mostly the boosts, like I said." She shrugged again, the grin growing minutely wider. "Of course, I overpowered it a little as well. Because of all the rain, I wasn't quite sure whether or not the lightning was going to end up dispersing into the rain around it, which would take some of the power out of it. So instead I threw as much power as I could into it to make sure that whatever hit was still powerful enough to hopefully scary Leviathan off."

"And, of course, when that didn't happen, the Thunder ended up much more powerful than expected." Eon chuckled.

"True, but it did what I wanted." Shadow nodded to her team leader, then looked back at Lung, who seemed to be in shock. She could vaguely hear Swarm chortling to herself in the background, under the cover of quiet coughs, and suppressed a snicker of her own. "Is there anything else you wish to ask?"

"Ah- perhaps not, kitsune Shadow." He managed, after a moment. "However, I do have an offer for you."

The three members of Team Inari swapped covert glances, then Shadow shuffled slightly back to allow Eon to handle it.

"An offer?" He asked carefully, mentally preparing himself.

While he trusted Swarm to be correct about the truce, both on Somer's Rock and behind the Endbringers, he still wasn't completely certain it would be safe. And while both he and Shadow were perfectly fireproof, Swarm very wasn't. He wouldn't risk that.

"Indeed." Lung paused, apparently organising his thoughts, then said slowly, "I assume you are aware that most of the gangs in this city have moles within the PRT."

"We were… vaguely aware of this, yes." Tattletale had basically admitted that outright, during their talk nearly a month before, and hinted that it was practically an open secret- among both the villainous and heroic circles, though not so much in the public eye.

"I have already had my moles keeping an eye out within the organisation for any mention they see of your team." He explained. "I am quite willing to arrange for any information that may be potentially… worrying, to your team, to be delivered discreetly to you, so you can be properly forewarned. A copy of your threat report, also, if you wish."

"That is… incredibly generous, of you." Eon stated, after a moment of slightly wide-eyed thought. "And in return?"

"I would like to request that you do your best to leave my people alone." He said. "An alliance, basically. I know you have been avoiding my gang for the most part anyway, aside from the times you see them obviously doing something, and word from some of my other informants is that you prefer the Merchants as a target for the most part anyway." He huffed. "Something I can very much agree with. I do not ask that you leave my people entirely alone, nor that you help me should I conflict with the Empire again rather than stand with other heroes trying to split us apart. If you find one of my gang attacking someone in an alley, as heroes you would obviously try and help. But avoiding my activities as best as you can would be my request, though I will also do my best to keep my activities out of your eye." There was an audible smirk behind the metal mask. "To give plausible deniability, of course. You cannot possibly deal with events that you never see or hear."

"Naturally." Eon smirked in return, shooting a glance first at Swarm, then at Shadow. "Might we have a moment to speak?"

"Of course." The Dragon of Kyushu stood and walked away, and Eon layered a quick silencing illusion over them all.

"Thoughts?"

"Sounds like a good plan to me." Swarm put in immediately. "We've already been mostly avoiding the ABB anyway, to avoid annoying Lung after what happened back in April. We'll basically be getting some information we wouldn't normally have access to for continuing to do what we're doing."

"On the other hand, we have no idea if the information we'd be picking up is correct, or if Lung was messing with it to bring us into a bad situation, or make us more confident in dealing with the PRT when we have no reason to." Shadow countered.

"Why would he do that? He's pretty much terrified of you, thinking that you're genuine kitsune and Kyuubi from Inari, or at least something similar, he's seen how powerful the two of you are and you've already admitted that neither of you are anywhere near the most powerful 'spirits'," she gave the word a slight air quote, "In your world. He's got no good reason to want to trick you, and several good ones not to."

"We've already said we can't access any of the others, though."

"You… actually haven't." Swarm corrected. "You said earlier that there were others stronger than you, and they're not here, but you haven't said you couldn't reach them. For all he knows, your portal-maker friend is just waiting for you to call to send in back up. He's already aware that you can take him out, could probably kill him just as easily, and while he's under the impression of you being proper kitsune he probably thinks of you as tricksters and jokers, waiting to get under his guard, and he's trying to build up goodwill so that you don't decide to completely wreck him for some insult he probably didn't realise happened, either from himself or his gang." Eon raised an eyebrow at her, and she shuffled a little, most likely blushing below her mask. "I read up on a lot of kitsune myths since we met. I'm no expert, but I know a bit now."

"Good job." He smiled at her. "Shadow?"

"Honestly, I think we should do it too." She admitted. "But I felt like someone needed to play the other end here."

"Then we're all in agreement about taking the deal?"

"Mhm."

"Sure."

"Alright then." Eon hummed a little, glancing between the two girls. "Hopefully nothing goes wrong."

"Like I said, I doubt it." Swarm shrugged. "Lung'd have to be mad to try pulling one over on us, given what he thinks you two are. Keeping his word is the smart thing, if we keep ours." She suddenly chuckled. "He might even keep it if we didn't, since he thinks you're kitsune."

"Perhaps, but we ought keep our word anyway." Eon laughed softly back. "If only because it's polite." Flicking his tail absently, he removed the audio cloak, then caught Lung's eye from where he was lingering, making the Parahuman return to the table. "Team Inari gladly accepts your offer, Lung. It would be a pleasure to work alongside you in such a way."

"Similarly, Kyuubi Eon." He held out his hand, which the Ninetales shook. "I hope my team can be of assistance to yours." He shot a glance to where a clock was sitting above the bar, quietly ticking away, then back to them. "I will not keep you and your team for longer. I'm certain you have other things to be dealing with, given your work around the city."

"And you would as well, of course." Eon nodded, as the gang leader stood up. "May you have good fortune in your work."

"And yours." Lung looked a little uncomfortable for a moment, based on his body language, and quickly made his retreat outside. There was the sound of a car door opening, then closing before driving off a few seconds later.

They all relaxed minutely.

"Come on girls, let's get moving." Eon told them, shifting and jumping down from the chair with an easy movement. To his left, Shadow did the same, following him out of the door a few paces behind, and Swarm pushed herself to her feet and began walking in the same moment on his right. He waited until they were all across the street, then led them all into an alleyway and dropped a cloak over them all. "Swarm, I think you ought to head home. Tell Danny what went on if you want, but there's not really a need for you to be out and about. No criminals wanting to risk the Truce and all. I'm going to look around a bit more, see if I can help anyone, and Shadow you can do the same if you want."

"I'll take Swarm back home first, then go for a wander." She replied. "Meet back at the base by ten?"

"If we don't run into each other before then." Eon agreed. The illusion collapsed again, the two girls splitting off in the vague direction of Taylor's home, while Eon went further into the city, looking around at the ongoing construction around him and waving at Glory Girl, who was hovering in a doorframe holding up a segment of building, looking like she'd recovered from the conversation she'd had with Swarm and Shadow on Moneday.

"Hey, Eon!" Someone called from another building, making him look up and trot over to the source of the voice, a construction worker who was waving him over. "Mind helping with this?"

"Not at all, sir." Eon said, following the man towards a pile of metal beams. "What do you need?"

"We need some help getting these into position, they're stabilisers to take some weight off the walls while we work." He explained, waving at the wall, which had an awfully large hole in it. "If you could just put these there…"

"Colin?"

"Dragon? Is something wrong?"

"One of the drones I've set to looking over the bay for damage found something… odd."

"Odd how?"

"It's a massive chunk of turquoise something. It looks like crystal, but from my scans it's not made of any kind I've ever seen.

"Was it power generated or something?"

"I don't know, but… it's almost exactly in the path Leviathan took when he ran away."

Last edited:
It's... what?!
It's amazing what you can do when you have a phone and a twenty minute train journey... I blame you for this.

"Alright people, talk to me." Piggot demanded, storming into the heavily shielded observation deck. "What am I looking at here?"

The object in question was a large crystalline structure, a very light blue colour, that was sitting in the centre of the high security hazard lab below. Due to its strange properties, the only things working on it were drones, provided by Dragon as the person who'd found it for them and identified it as a possible problem, and being remotely controlled by her and Armsmaster as they dissected the thing and put it in for tests, directed in turn by the veritable horde of scientists and other lab techs who had been called in to try and figure out what it was.

The nearest tech, Jenkins according to his tag, turned to her from the computer readout he was examining. "As far as we can tell, Director, the crystal substance is incredibly tough; even Armsmaster's Tinkertech can barely make a dent in it, but we've managed to run some tests on the small shavings we've gotten. It's definitely some kind of crystal, though we're still not certain exactly what, since the structure of the thing doesn't match up to anything we've tried it against so far, and neither does the density, the durability, anything like that. A complete mystery substance, though it'd be incredible as a defensive material if it wasn't for the... side effects... it has."

"Yes, yes, all well and good, but what is it?" Piggot snapped. "The damn thing was obviously left behind by Leviathan, and I want to know if it's some kind if weird trap the Simurgh's somehow managed to set up, or if it's something we can use."

The monitor behind them beeped, and Jenkins looked back to read the report that had just come up- well, she assumed it was a report. With all the technobable in there it could've been a pizza order for all she knew.

"Oh, that's interesting..." Jenkins muttered. "It seems to be some kind of remnant waste produced from the creature."

The Director's brain screeched to a halt, then started up again after a few moments of confused protest.

"I... excuse me?" She snapped. "Are you telling me that that," she waved down at the crystal, still being slowly taken apart, "Is basically Endbringer shit?!"

"It... looks like it, Ma'am." He agreed nervously. "The... the techs are still doing work on it, but that looks to be the most accurate result."

He was slowly edging away.

Piggot spent another few minutes staring blankly at the blue crystal, then very deliberately turned around and started banging her head against the wall.

"Maybe they'll find out that they were wrong, Ma'am?" Jenkins tried.

"God I hope so." She murmured acidicly. "Because being known as the Director who arranged for testing on Endbringer shit is not something I really want added to my accolades."

Last edited:
Sidestory Introduction
Hi, everyone, welcome to the sidestory stuff for A Shadow, an Eon, and a Worm. I'm gonna assume that if you've come here, you've read the main story, but if you haven't, go do that so it makes sense.

Alright, done? Good.

Basically, these sidestories are all going to be backstory for the main story, giving you a look into the past of the team, some of the missions that've been mentioned, and some of the life Shadow and Eon have lived up to the point of the beginning. Some of the stories are kinda obvious as to where they go in the timeline, either through deduction or just me blatantly saying so in the chapter, while others are a little harder to figure out. In that case, I'll be putting a label at the beginning to give an estimate of where in the timeline they are. Alternatively, I might just reorganise the threadmarks every time there's a new chapter, so that they all read in order, but that sounds like a lot of work. Might do it anyway, of course.

Updates will be sporadic at best, because I'm never really sure as to what sort of things I want to write about. There might also be ones written by other people in this collection if I decide they fit the canon and don't contradict anything. Feel free to write stuff.

I hope you all enjoy going onward into the past of A Shadow, an Eon, and a Worm!

Letters
Dear Momma and Pa,

I've finally made it, Momma! Sorry it took so long, there was a little bit of trouble on the road with some Dungeon Pokemon, but a little bit of Ember sent them right off, just like you said it would! Then when I got here I had to find a place to stay, too, and this nice Arcanine pointed me towards the hotel in town- it's run by a Blissey and an Audino and their daughter Chansey, and they're really nice. They asked all kinds of questions about my journey and why I was here, and they promised to let me stay as long as I needed to.

Turns out that Arcanine is the leader of one of the local Rescue Teams from the Guild. His team mate's a Gardevoir, and they offered to put in a good word for me at the Guild when I decide to join, or they'll let me into their team if they say no!

That's not very likely, apparently. Guildmaster Wigglytuff is well known for letting any Pokemon join to test their skill; it's his assistant, Chatot, that might be a problem. He's pretty strict, they said, so he might not let a kid join.

That's annoying. I know I'm pretty young, especially for a Vulpix, but I know a lot because of everyone in the family. Seems stupid to not let me in just because of my age, and not because I'm weak.

Anyway, I'll write again really soon, I promise! Hopefully something interesting will've happened… maybe I'll even be a Rescue Pokemon by then!

Love you,

Shadow.

Dear Momma and Pa,

Thanks for writing back so quick. I've been really missing Elixa, Deltien, Luriean, and Kaltria, and it's nice to know they miss me too! I'll do my best to send some souvenirs from the town as soon as I've started as a proper sort of Rescue Pokemon. Alma is a pretty cool little town, with a massive amount of meadows really close by. Lots of Pokemon live on them, and the area near the streams gets used as farmland a lot. Maybe I'll be able to buy a camera soon and take some pictures to send you!

Oh, something pretty interesting happened the other day! I went for a walk around again, mostly just to get used to things and do a bit of practice. There's private training grounds for Rescue Teams, but there's also public ones for anyone to use, so I was going there to practice Magnet Rise- thank Uncle Makus and Great Gramp Lecan for teaching me that, by the way, it's really cool and some of the Pokemon I've met found it really weird; they didn't know a Mawile could learn Magnet Rise either!

Anyway, I went there to practice for a little while, I want to be as powerful as I can before I apply to the Guild, and I met another Pokemon who was there! His name was Eon, and he's a shiny Ninetales! His fur's all grey and silvery and really sparkly in the sun- I get why they're called shiny now- and his tail tips are light blue instead of orange.

I went over to introduce myself to him, then went to practicing, but he looked like he was having trouble with some kinda simple Fire type Moves, so I offered him some help with it. We talked for a while, and it turns out he was one of those transformed Pokemon! Like the one from the story Gram told us, about that Totodile and that Pikachu and the meteor!

He's only recently transformed, a few months ago, and some of the local Pokemon found him passed out in the woods a little while away. The one's that found him- apparently it was that team of Arcanine and Gardevoir from before! Small world, huh?- helped him adjust, but just about everyone in town knows about who he is. That, and him being shiny, made them a little wary of him for a while, which is kinda sad, but they've gotten used to him now, and it's not as bad.

But he's only just started practicing his Moves, since for the most part he was working on moving right and learning stuff, but he couldn't manage to do it.

We spent… kinda a long time, a few hours, working on it, and by the end Eon was able to keep an Ember going for ages, like a few minutes! It was almost a Flamethrower in length, just the power was too weak compared to when you or Pa do it. And Eon looked so happy when he managed it, like when Kaltria managed to use Roar properly for the first time! It was kinda cute, like a little kit running about. We walked back into town together, and he couldn't stop thanking me for the help, though he was kind of awkward about it; I don't think he's very used to dealing with other Pokemon, which makes sense if he used to be a human, lost all his memories, then had loads of trouble integrating into the town.

…man that sounds really sad when put like that.
But, well, other than that there's not been much. I'm gonna try applying for the Guild in a few days, once I've got some things totally down. I want to get used to using Charge too, and perfect Magnet Rise if I can. Then I'm gonna focus a lot on my Fire Moves, and Extrasensory. Hopefully that won't take too long, then I can become a Rescue Pokemon!

Love you!

Shadow.

Dear Momma and Pa,

Thanks for the idea in your letter back! I didn't think about maybe asking Eon if he wanted to join with me as a Rescue Pokemon on my team. That'd probably be really cool, especially once Eon's better with his Moves.

Eon came to me the next day and asked if I could help him again, since it was really helpful getting help from someone who knew what they were doing. We've been practising the last few days together, and it's actually been helping me as well! Trying to teach someone's really hard, actually, and that's with Eon being nice and listening- sorry for all the trouble we gave you as kits, Momma, if this is this hard I hate to think how hard we made it for you- but it's been useful too. Eon asks a lot of questions, and trying to answer it means doing a bit of thinking- I mean, the difference between a Flamethrower and a really powerful Ember seemed obvious, but trying to explain it? Nuh-uh.

Anyway, we've been working together a lot, mostly me teaching him, but someones some of the Rescue Team Pokemon end up using the public training grounds rather than the Guild ones- that's what the private ones are, by the way. I found that out the other day- and they sometimes help out when they hear that I want to be a Rescue Pokemon too. Arcanine and Gardevoir were here this morning- Arcanine helped me get my Ember even stronger ready to learn Flamethrower, and Gardevoir taught the both of us Extrasensory!

Well, taught Eon Extrasensory. I already know it, of course, but she helped me get it way better- maybe because she was demonstrating more with a weakened Psychic than Extrasensory, but it's a lot more stable now.

Arcanine and Gardevoir offered to help teach us more while we're getting prepared for making a Rescue Team, or just while we're getting used to things around Alma. Both of us took them up on that, and Eon did mention an interest in maybe becoming a Rescue Pokemon in the future, which is great!

I've been doing a lot of wandering around the town over the last few days too, just getting used to everything and meeting new Pokemon. Kangaskhan runs the local storage department, which uses Rescue Badges to link to other special statue-things in the field to let Rescue Teams take out their items on missions, which is so neat, and there's a Dusklops that runs the bank with his younger brother Duskull. You can't take out money in the field, but you can put money in, using the same thing that Kangaskhan uses, and apparently the different banks in different towns can link using your badge again- I have no idea how it all works, but it's so cool.

I went to the fields too, the river meadow bit is owned by a Lilligant, Torterra, and Feraligator as a group. You can rent out segments of the river bit to use as farms, there's a discount for renting under your team, while the fields where Pokemon tend to build housing and stuff is owned by a Conkeldurr and Gothitelle. Rescue Teams are the main ones that use the fields to buy places like that, most Pokemon rent or build in the town itself, but the big fields make it easier for larger teams to live in the area.

Arcanine's team has a couple of other team mates, and they normally pair up together and go out on missions with that pair- so there's always a mission on the go on that team, and if something goes wrong, there's always a couple of Pokemon that're waiting to go and help. I'll write more soon, Momma and Pa, I promise. Maybe someday you'll be able to come and visit here in Alma and we can show you all around!

Love you,

Shadow.

Dear everyone,

I did it! I'm officially a Rescue Pokemon now! You're speaking to Shadow, second-in-command of Team Inari!

Yeah, second. Bit of a story.

I went to the Guild yesterday to try and register as a Rescue Pokemon, then I was going to ask Eon to join the Team as well- I asked Arcanine, and he told me some stuff about getting started, like how they give extra badges so you can give them to other Pokemon that get recruited into the team; I have no idea how they manage to do the badges that quickly when you register, but they're normally done a few hours after. They make you go through some introduction stuff first, then get given the badges afterwards so you can start.

Anyway, I went over and asked Chatot how to register, and he brought me into talk to Guildmaster Wigglytuff. They told me I couldn't join up as a team leader, because of my age, and that meant I couldn't start a solo team and then recruit Eon either.

I was kinda... upset about that, so I left and promised to come back- the age limit is minimum thirteen, dang it, so it'd be another three whole years before I could sign up- then went to the training ground to blow some fire and calm down a bit.

Eon was there too, we've taken to meeting up at about the same time, spending the morning working together, then going out separate ways for the afternoon to do other things- normally I'm looking around, and I dunno what he does. He asked where I'd been, so I explained the idea of making a Rescue Team, and the fact that I couldn't because I was too young to be allowed to be a Team leader by Guild rules.

I set up for a bit of target practice; it's something we've been doing the last few days, ever since Gardevoir helped us with Extrasensory. I lift some bits of wood in the air, Eon tries to hit them with Embers, then we swap. Thank goodness for Flash Fire, and we've both gotten really good at putting out fires with our Extrasensory as well. So we did that for a bit, then just before we were going to go leave Eon suggested that, since I wasn't allowed to make a Rescue Team by myself, maybe we could make one together instead, with him as the leader because he's older than me.

We went to the Guild again together to go and get that set up, and they let us this time because Eon was probably old enough to run a team- because of the whole amnesia thing, no-one actually knows for sure, but the Guildmaster was ok with it and didn't let Chatot try to object.
So yeah, I'm now second-in-command of Team Inari! It's... not exactly what I was expecting when I left home to come be a Rescue Pokemon, but it's still cool! Once we start doing some Dungeon work and stuff, we'll probably end up recruiting more members, and Eon and I were talking about getting a bit of land to use as a home for us and anyone we recruit. I'm gonna be staying in the hotel for a little while longer, for the sake of getting everything set up, but that's fine. I'm just happy to be on a Rescue Team now, even if it's as a second and not as a leader like I thought. We also made sure to get a box registered with Kangaskhan before we started on missions, and did the same with the Dusclops bank too.

Oh, and speaking of shops, that reminds me! I was wandering around yesterday, thinking about what I was gonna say when I applied to the Guild, and I stumbled across a place run by a Smeargle, which lets you borrow a camera and take pictures, then print then out! It was a little expensive, sure, but it wasn't too bad, so I took some pictures for you! You've probably already seen them, they probably fell out of the envelope, but they're there if they didn't. I took a picture of my new Badge too, it looks pretty nice, the back even has the team name engraved on it for identification. I really want to know how they do that so quickly, because it's really neatly done.

Anyway, Eon and I talked about it and we decided we're gonna take a quick mission tomorrow, because the Guild helps you decide what you should be doing for the first few months and sometimes sets tasks for you, then you can graduate if you want to try the test and they think you're ready for it. We're going to ask Conkeldurr and Gothitelle to help us build a base for us and any Pokemon we might end up recruiting as well, and we'll need to start going on shopping trips for stuff as soon as we start taking longer trips, but from what Arcanine told us the Guild only sends you on trips to nearby Dungeons for the first few weeks, to help you get used to things, then they let you pick missions that have more travel time.

I'll write again soon!

Love,

Shadow.

Dear Momma and Pa,

Sorry it's been so long since I wrote, but this last week's been really hectic. Who knew setting up a Rescue Team was so much work? Even still, we've done loads and it's been really nice.

Straight away the first morning we went and talked to Conkeldurr and Gothitelle about building a place for our team, and we found them already waiting! Apparently Gothitelle is pretty good at using Future Sight, so she knew there was going to be someone coming by to ask for help today. We set up for things to get started on the building, then we went to the Guild for our first mission. Chatot helped give us an easy one to start with, finding an Oran Berry in the Ilix Forest- by the way, something really confuses me about that. Berries and Battle Orbs and stuff are really cheap to buy at the Kecleon Mart, so why don't Pokemon that want them just go there and buy them instead of asking Rescue Teams to do it? Or maybe it's a Rescue Team thing at the market, like our Badges making it cheaper for us to buy because we go into Dungeons?

Anyway… the Ilix Forest was pretty easy; it's a four floor Dungeon, and mostly made up of Grass and Bug types, so two Fire types like me and Eon didn't have any trouble, but something really weird is the amount of stuff in the Dungeons. We found a little over a hundred Pokè in there, not to mention all the berries and the Blast Seed we found, and we weren't really trying! I guess it's just a Dungeon thing, but it's really a bit weird. We found the berry ok though, and our client gave us another hundred Pokè as a reward, too.

Eon and I split up at first to go and put the Pokè in the Duskull bank and the items in Kangaskhan storage, then we met up again to go and see if we could find the Pokemon that owned the river area. We ran into Lilligant and had a chat about it- I told Eon about our little berry farm we have at home, by the way, and he thought it might be a good idea for Team Inari to have one as well. It'd mean we wouldn't need to worry about finding or buying berries as much for our missions, and we could also sell the berries or trade them for things if we needed to. It's three hundred Pokè a month to rent the land, though, so we decided not to right now and come back to it; we might still need to buy supplies, we would need to pay for the building, and both of us were still renting a place to live in town, so we had to pay for that too. Later on, though, we'll start a berry farm down there.

Most of the rest of the week was more missions, mostly retrieving lost items or finding new ones, and one rescue of a Caterpie that'd gotten lost in the woods, but one really fun one was an escort mission. A Beldum wanted to see if base of a place called Strange Cave, and had asked for a Rescue Team to escort them down there. That place was long, ten whole floors, but we found loads of stuff there. We didn't spend as much time exploring each floor, because Beldum sometimes got into trouble and we had to go and rescue them, and we stopped twice to let them recover, but we still left the Dungeon with more than a thousand Pokè plus all the items we'd found. There's nothing interesting at the bottom of Strange Cave- you'd think there would be, with that name- but Beldum didn't mind. We got two hundred Pokèfrom that one, plus a Sitrus Berry as a gift, and Eon's already been planning on going back when we can to look around more thoroughly.

The best thing was the very end of this week, though. Chatot finally gave us an outlaw mission to do! Calm down Momma, it wasn't that bad. We were asked to go find a Machoke that'd stolen a Thunderbolt TM and then gone to hide somewhere in the Dungeon, a place called the Old Ruins. They got destroyed a long time ago. It was eight floors deep, and we found Machoke on the fifth floor and managed to take him down and get the TM back. Eon and I decided to keep exploring though, because we were finding a lot of Pokè and items down there, so we went right down to the bottom.

There was a big stone wall there with a picture of some kind carved into it, but neither of us could make out what it was. We were gonna leave then, but then Eon suddenly went all sick and dizzy and then he collapsed! I was really really worried about him, but he was ok pretty quickly after that. The next bit was really cool, though; he'd seen a vision of the past!

Apparently it'd happened to him before, back when he'd first arrived, but that time he'd seen something in the future- he wouldn't tell me what. This time he saw when the Ruins were destroyed; some kind of big white Pokemon with black markings appeared from the bottom and started rampaging, which wrecked it all. Eon's been carefully looking into what it might be when he has time, since he doesn't recognise it, and when I mentioned that our family are Talekeepers we decided I'd ask you the next time I wrote. We've also decided we aren't going to mention that vision thing to anyone, though. We don't know what causes it, or what other things might be connected to it, so it's probably best to keep it a secret. So don't tell anyone else please, Momma, Pa?

We went back to the Guild after Eon was better and gave the TM back to the Pikachu who'd been robbed, and she gave us five hundred Pokè and a Reviver Seed, which is really cool, because those are rare and expensive. When we left, we went and put everything away before we went over to check on the building, and it was all finished! We arranged to pay for it, and it's a good thing we thought carefully about renting that river bit, because it was ten thousand Pokè!... It kinda sounds like a lot more than it is, though. We find a lot of Pokè when we're exploring Dungeons, and we get paid a bit as well, but it was still a big dent. I went back to the Smeargle and rented a camera again to take some pictures of it, they're in the envelope too, and we're both planning on moving in as soon as we have some time to arrange everything. We're going to save for a few more weeks before we start making a berry farm, we've decided, because that way we'll have enough Pokè stored to buy some of the rarer berries that sometimes show up in the Kecleon market. Hopefully we'll be able to get our berry farm stocked with a lot of nice ones that we can take with us on trips.

Anyway, that's been our week! Lots of stuff's happened, which is really cool, and being on a Rescue Team is so much fun. We'll probably be doing a lot of stuff while we work with the Guild, because according to Arcanine they like to push new recruits to make sure they get good quickly so they're not at risk, which is good because it means more Pokè for us! I'll try and write again as soon as I can, so you'll know when something interesting happens, and Eon and I will be careful not to get hurt, I promise.

Write back soon too!

Love,

Shadow.

"Momma, Momma!"

Kuibiena glanced up at the call and accompanying sound of paws and claws clattering along wooden floors, then put the letter down and stood in a sweeping movement.

"Hello kits." She smiled, as a Vulpix and three Absol hurried through the door in a tangle of limbs and tails.

"Morning, Momma!" Deltien called, over the top of his sister's head. Kaltria growled, shoving her elder brother to one side, making him whine over-dramatically and fall. Elixa and Luriean swapped exasperated glances, and the eldest Absol went over and dragged him to his feet by the horn.

Ignoring his whining, Luriean came over and sat at her feet, looking up and sideways at her. "Has Shadow written again, Momma?"

"Not yet, Lur." She sighed, nudging his head crest gently.

"Aww…" He grumbled, pouting and looking down.

"Shads' still on her mission?" Elixa asked, leaving her younger siblings alone and joining them.

"That's weird, it's been ages." Kaltria huffed. "She's never done one this long before!"

"She's just busy, kits." Kuibiena assured them, putting the letters away with half a thought as the other two Absol sat next to their siblings. "She's been busy before, remember?"

"Yeah, but that was the expedition." Deltien pointed out. "She had the Guild with her then, and that Arcanine's team with helped out. Shadow said it was just her and Eon this time."

"Eon's powerful, though."

"And Shadow is, too!" Luriean added, backing up his elder sister. "Plenty powerful to deal with whatever she ends up against!" Kuibiena smiled a little; her youngest Vulpix massively looked up to his slightly-elder clutch mate, and she was fairly sure he was thinking of becoming a Rescue Pokemon too when he was older, following in his sister's footsteps. It was always adorable to see him stick up for her against the Absol of the family when they worried about Shadow's ability.

Not that any of them looked down on her; she was powerful enough that her team was Hyper Rank after only two years, a great feat, and she'd basically trained non-stop for about a year before she'd actually left, just to make sure. All of them were proud of their second-eldest sister, but they did worry sometimes because they all knew her job would get dangerous, wandering in Dungeons all the time with hostile Pokemon.

"I'm sure both Shadow and Eon will be fine, kits." She soothed, making all four look up at her again. "Both of them are powerful, even if they don't have the rest of the team with them. Whatever it is they're doing, they'll handle it brilliantly and come back to tell us all the story."

Both Kaltria and Luriean's eyes lit up at that, while both Deltien and Elixa grinned.

"Shadow's stories are always cool." The latter nodded. "Even if some of them are a bit weird."

"And even though sometimes Eon wished they weren't." Her brother snarked. Kaltria pushed him slightly, growling.

"Don't be mean." She scolded, before giggling. "Even if Trikani was kinda funny."

"Poor Eon." Kuibiena agreed, looking amused. She thwapped Deltien on the nose with a tail as he growled back at his sister. "No fighting, you two. Now, who wants to come with me to the market?"

"Me!" Four voices called out in tandem, followed by chuckles.

"Then go get your bags and scarves, and we can go."

"Can we buy something there?" Deltien asked, as the two girls dashed for the door and Luriean followed slowly behind.

"I don't see why not, as long as you're good and it's not too expensive." She allowed. "What were you thinking of getting?"

"Not sure." He shrugged. His mother could read the lie in his body language, but she knew she wouldn't get it out of him; if anyone had inherited the stubbornness from her father, it had been Deltien- so she just let it go.

"Alright, take some money with you, and tell your siblings." She nodded. He grinned, then turned tail and dashed away.

"I will!"

"Having fun, dear?" Kuibiena turned, rolling her eyes at her mate.

"Of course I am. You know those four; at least they're easy to distract with other things."

"Don't I know it." Lukos laughed, leaning down to nuzzle her face. "I'm heading out to the dig site, the others think they've found something and want me to check it for traps."

"Be careful, love." She said seriously. "Don't go getting hurt because you missed something, ok?"

"I'll be careful, I promise." He nodded. "I'll probably be gone for a few days, trying to Teleport Dark types still tires Butterfree out something fierce, but depending on what's there it might be a little longer than that."

"That's fine, I'll tell the kits." She smiled, hearing the four of them getting into an argument on the landing above. "Or you can tell them yourself, of course."

"I don't need to leave for a little while yet, I'll do it." Lukos wandered off, calling to the four at the top of the stairs, and Kuibiena laughed to herself before looking over at the box again and sighing.

Gently, she lifted the letter that was still sitting on top of it, one that had been delivered just a little over a month ago.

Dear everyone,

Hi, guys. I know it's not been very long since the last time I wrote to you all, but something's come up. See, in about a week or so from the day I'm writing this, Eon and I are going to be going on a super long trip. So long, that we're not sure when we'll be back, and neither's our client.

Remember I mentioned about our new friend Hoopa a few letters back? Well, he came to us today and asked if we could help with a problem. He's gonna send us far away, to a place that needs some help, for a mission. But since it's so far away, it's not really gonna be possible to send letters back and forth, and it'd be a bit rude to ask Hoopa to send them for me. He's bound to be busy too, after all.

Inari's still going to be running, obviously. Vespiquen and Ariados have volunteered to take over the major running of stuff, since they know how to handle it, and the other pairs are going to be doing missions even while we're gone, so if you want to send letters they'll handle collecting them so Eon and I can see them when we get back. Hopefully we won't be gone too long, but Hoopa doesn't think it's likely to be a short mission no matter what we do, so it's probably gonna be a while.

Wish us luck, everyone!

Love, Shadow.

The family had written back and sent it, but there'd been no reply, so Kuibiena had no idea if she'd received the letter and not had time to write back before leaving, or if they'd missed her.

Shaking her head firmly, she placed it back into the box with all the other letters and shut the lid, placing it on a high shelf. Moments later, her four kits came storming back into the room, each wearing a little scarf- yellow, green, blue, and red- and a matching colour bag. They'd been sent as a twelfth birthday gift from Shadow, to match the bag and scarf combination they'd given her as a group just before she left for Alma, and they'd promptly taken pride of place for all four of them. A little Pokè purse was clipped to each one, sitting in a little inside pocket, a design that made it a little hard to get to but for the most part was useful.

"Ready to go, Momma." Elixa said, while the other three waited patiently.

"Yes, I can see that." She chuckled, standing and herding them towards the front door. She paused for a moment to nuzzle Lukos again. "I'll see you when you get back."

"Have fun, dear." He replied, heading into the kitchen and through the back door, going towards the meeting point for his work. Kuibiena watched for a moment, then followed her kits, taking the key from Elixa and locking the door behind her. Kaltria and Luriean were already most of the way down the road, talking rapidly about something- she wasn't sure what, though little snippets floated back to her on occasion. Deltien was trailing behind them, looking like he was thinking hard, and Elixa was perfectly happy to trot alongside her mother, looking around and just enjoying the walk down to the town and the marketplace.

In all, despite the lack of one of her kits, Kuibiena was still glad to have her family around her.

Last edited:
Family Tree, Version 4
Now that the sidestory is out, i can finally publish the family tree version 2! Version 3. Version 4?
Okay whatever expect the next version when @ShadowVulpix has decided more of the names and ages.

The left is the youngest, and it's ignoring anyone not directly in Shadow's line aside from the other referenced characters like her siblings and some cousins.

Last edited:
Back