A Second Sunrise: Taiwan of 2020 Sent Back to 1911

Will rash bihari bose journey there?

What is your plan with Tibet?

How isot impacted Taiwanese buddhism? Will we see Buddhist missionaries in india to convert dalits? In canon ambedkar converted to buddhism. With a Buddhist majority Taiwan I wonder will it enhance appeal of Buddhist missionaries compared to christianity.

Last edited:
Will rash bihari bose journey there?

What is your plan with Tibet?

How isot impacted Taiwanese buddhism? Will we see Buddhist missionaries in india to convert dalits? In canon ambedkar converted to buddhism.

With a Buddhist majority Taiwan I wonder will it enhance appeal of Buddhist missionaries compared to christianity.

In my original draft, I had Bose traveling to China in a few years to seek material support from the Chinese.

However, it was an earlier Amritsar Massacre (in reaction to the attempt on the Viceroy in 1912) under Reginald Dyer's watch that led to an outright revolution.

A revolution that Li and Chen actively support with weapons, volunteers, and logistics.

As for Tibet, odds are it's basically going to be an autonomous region, with a soft power campaign to win over the locals while the Chinese and the Dalai Lama would negotiate a Chinese version of the Lateran Treaty.

As for Buddhism, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Chinese Buddhist missionaries travel to India and approach Dalits and other lower caste Indians and try to convert them. Heck, Ambedkar himself might even be influenced by his future self's teachings.

Of course, this does have the potential to overlap with the anti-colonial radicals and revolutionaries, creating the potential for a movement that is not only anti-British, but anti-caste system entirely.

After all, China will be seen as a beacon of progress, and that progress can take many forms.

And I'm sure there might be a radical MIB agent or two who might be interested in upending the caste system by spreading his writings.

Because Agent Fong would definitely do that.

Last edited:
In Second Sunrise, if you live in an Asian country in 1911 and have a bone to pick with its social structure or the fact it's being ruled by Europeans, Revolutionary China would be the place to go.

So you're going to see revolutionaries, reformers, and radicals all flock to Revolutionary China because it is a modern, non-colonial society that is fairly egalitarian (compared to early 20th century Everywhere).

Which leads to the really funny scenario where Taiwan, one of the most anti-communist Asian societies outside of Orange County, California, could be seen as the home of the Revolution.

Last edited:
Can you write a update on how isot is being viewed among religious authorities in taiwan?

Maybe organization of four heavenly kings is ideal for missionary activities. Cheng Yen is ideal for that. They can collaborate with Ramkrishna mission in that case.

Last edited:
Can you write a update on how isot is being viewed among religious authorities in taiwan?

Maybe organization of four heavenly kings is ideal for missionary activities. Cheng Yen is ideal for that. They can collaborate with Ramkrishna mission in that case.

I'll see what I can do. Religious history isn't exactly my forte, and I'm more familiar with Catholicism and WWII, on account of being Catholic and writing my thesis on WWII collaborators.

One of my big concerns is making sure that I do this right, so I'll need to do some research on Taiwanese Buddhism, particularly Humanistic Buddhism.

As for religious reactions, I think I can see how Christians and Buddhists would react, from the Christians who see it as an Act of God, to how a largely secular society would react.

This will take a while, since I have to brush up on Buddhism if I want it to be genuine.

Wonder how this is going to effect the middle east?
Persia still exists at this point and may see the need to quietly remove the more extremist religious leaders.

Wonder how this is going to effect the middle east?
Persia still exists at this point and may see the need to quietly remove the more extremist religious leaders.

Worth noting that right now, the Ottoman Sultan is also the Caliph.

And I imagine that he would see the Wahhabis and Salafis as a threat. One that I imagine he wouldn't have a hard time convincing the Big 6 of, once they learn about our history.

"Hey, there is this religious sect of Muslims that can radicalize all your Muslim subjects into jihadists if you don't help us suppress them now and defeat the Emirate of Najd."

After that? Who knows. Probably violence.

Seeing that the Chinese are mostly, "Hey, we'll cure your diseases if you give us our land back and stop selling drugs," and are about to have kicked the crap out of three empires at once, it's possible that the Wahhabis/Salafis and their partners the Saudis end up being an enemy the Big 6 can all agree on (and can actually win against).

In taiwan Christian's occupay only 3.9%. So it is far more probable that buddhism and other synergic religions will get greatest boost.

Good thing I'm writing this as more philosophical than theological.

For somebody who happens to get stuck here as a tourist, a character might see this as a divine act, some physical phenomenon, or some combination of the two.

Another person who is a local might see this as just another bump in the road that they will adapt to, but no crisis of faith.

The issue is what happens to both people?

And then how will they reconcile this new world?

How will they react?

How do they move forward?

With newfound purpose? Or do they see it as just another part of their religion, just in a different way?

Or maybe they see it as something else entirely.

Weight of the World
The gymnasium was empty, or at least it looked like that. Darkened lights flickered on to reveal a wooden floor with tables placed in lines.

Two men walked through the door. While the man in robes moved the rest of the tables into place, the man all in black checked outside, only to see that they were early.

"Jin Hua, it's good to see you," the Catholic priest greeted. "Especially on such short notice."

"Likewise, Christopher," the monk told him. "How are you and your students handling this?"

"If I'm honest? They're just trying to make sense of it all."

"Aren't we all?"

"Yeah. Still, I don't think the Jesuits ever trained me for time travel. They don't cover that part in seminary."

"Some things are universal," the monk sighed. "I take it they're not handling it well?"

"No, I'm afraid. Honestly, a lot of them come to me for answers."

"Spiritual or physical?"

"Spiritual, mostly. Though I don't think my PhD in Physics would do much good, either."

"I take it your studies never covered time travel?"

"Time Dilation only, I'm afraid."

"And the spiritual answer?"

"The same thing every priest says when they're trying to comfort a grieving person: Everything happens for a reason, and it's all part of God's plan so we should have faith."

"Do you believe that?" It wasn't an accusation, so much as a philosophical question. "As a priest."

"As a Christian? Yeah, I do believe that God had something to do with this. Exactly why He would send this island back in time? I don't know for sure, but I'm sure He has some reason."

"I take it you would like to know that reason?"

"Of course. For philosophical reasons, if nothing else."

"Fair enough. And as a physicist?"

"I suppose there could be something bending spacetime, or maybe it turns out that Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are compatible after all, and this is what can happen."

"...Christopher, if I'm being honest, I have absolutely no idea what any of that means."

"Oh good. Because it's a fancy way of saying that, as a physicist, I don't know, either."

"And as Christopher de las Casas? What do you think?"

"I don't know."

"That's it?" Jin almost sounded disappointed.

"I don't know for sure. Maybe it's a physical phenomenon. Maybe it's Divine Intervention. Hell, maybe it's both, and God's just letting the universe run on auto-pilot because He values Free Will."

"All I know," the priest told his friend, "All that I know for sure? I know that I don't know anything about this for sure, and I know that I don't really care, at the end of the day."

"You care enough to think about it."

"I'm bored, and I need to tell these kids something, alright? But whatever reason we're here, if there is one at all, doesn't matter. We're here now, and we can either keep moving forward or die."

"I see... Fascinating."

"So," the priest said, sitting down. "Have you had anyone come to you?"

"Yes. Not as many despairing, though, thankfully, but I believe that is due to most of them being locals."

"Fair enough. So, what do you tell them?"

"Are you familiar with the concept of Samsara?"

"That's the one where people go through an endless cycle of life, death, and rebirth." It had been a while since he'd studied Asian and Pacific Studies at Santa Clara, but his friend nodded.

"Right. Well, this... 'time travel' that we have experienced is simply another part of that. I see it not as some aberration, but a variation of what we all experience."

"Oh?"

"We are alive," Jin told him. "We have not died, nor have we been reborn. The same can be said for all of those in our old world, wherever they are."

Probably wondering why an island from over a hundred years ago showed up.

"Those people, the ones we left behind? They are still alive... Makes sense. Assuming that only we got sent back in time, life should still go on for them."

"Exactly. While they may seem dead to us and we may seem dead to them, we are all still alive, just in our own worlds. Or timelines."

"Spacetime."

"Sure, Christopher. We will go with that. But do you know what I tell every single one of the people who come to me?"

"Go on."

"That despite it all, some things never change. The Eightfold Path towards Nirvana or the 108 Temptations, for example. I take it that you have your own concepts?"

"Yeah. Things like the Seven Deadly Sins."

"Ah. Much easier to remember."

"Yup. All of those are still there. Still things we have to work on."

"Indeed. But do you know what I find the most fascinating about all of this?"

"What's up?"

"That despite having a completely different religions, we ended up reaching a similar conclusion."

"We did?"

"Yes. Have you ever noticed that I'm not particularly concerned about why we're here, so much as the fact that we are here in the first place?"

"Now that you mention it, yeah."

"It is a different pathway, yet we ended up with a similar destination for how we reconcile this event."

"Life goes on."

"Exactly. We continue to live. We continue to believe. We continue to live our lives according to our beliefs."

"I think I see where you're going. Just one problem though."

"Oh?"

"This entire conversation is about the spiritual needs that come from being sent back in time. And you know that saying I have about spiritual needs and physical needs, right?"

"God is great and all, but you cannot eat God."

"Exactly. Well, unless you're Catholic."

"Aren't you Catholic?"

"Yeah, but it's not supposed to be a full meal. But you get my point, right?"

"Yes, Christopher."

"So, how do you and your fellow Buddhists address the physical needs that came from this?"

A loud thud boomed from the other side of the gymnasium. The two men turned to see countless locals, as well as several American students, walking in.

In their hands was everything from food to water to other necessities they'd collected.

All for anyone who would need them in these trying times.

"The same way you and your students do, it seems."

"Well, it's good to see some things are universal."

"More or less," the monk agreed. "Except we do not say, 'Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam Inque Hominum Salutem' every time we try to help people."

Last edited:
So, how many Humanists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One.

Any more, and they'll get into a philosophical discussion… and forget about the lightbulb.

Last edited:
This may be off topic but, why does shikai have to die in this story? He would be a great asset to Suns regime, because he does have the credentials of a competent administrator and statesmen unlike sun. Whom did not have the political knowhow, nor the expertise compared to shikai. All I see here is Yuan having the last laugh since suns regime will obv *hopefully* fall into chaos because democracy in mainland china has always been a failure atleast the one time it was done.
thnx and goodbye - reader1

I think the better option here is not nuclear weapons, but nuclear power being expanded.

A single pacific crossing of a panamax container ship uses 50,000 barrels of oil.

Swap for a nuclear power plant and thar same journey is basically free. Of course there are complications of requiring specialized yards for them, along with training and design, but the Taiwanese are going to need nuclear submarines at some point, so they might as well go whole hog nuclear navy and massively cut their reliance on oil.

Oil expenditure is basically Taiwan's single greatest bottleneck, going the nuclear option basically solves all their problems at once. That and coal to liquid plants run off of nuclear power. coal to liquid plants process coal into petroleum, but this is usually far more expensive than drilled or fracked oil due to electricity and process heating costs. A dedicated nuclear plant supplying that energy actually makes petroleum products from coal cheaper than the cost of oil. Now that all the lobbying groups from oil companies aren't smothering that in the crib, and such technology becomes a national priority it can finally take its place in the sun and break OPEC and standard oil like it should have in the 70s.

Even if Taiwan becomes less reliant on oil, the US would still have an edge over them regarding oil considering how the taiwanese cant or dont have the resources for extensive research projects over nuclear planes, so the single largest force that is important in the revolutions campaigns WILL fail if not fed enough petroleum reserves. (yes i know you did not say otherwise

"The English are allied to Japan, so they might not be willing to recognize us, let alone trade with us," Minister Joseph Wu answered. "The Americans have the Philippines, so we could turn to them if we need more coal, and Standard Oil might be willing to work with us, while the Dutch may be able to help us with our oil imports. Royal Dutch Shell is only partially British, after all."

"We will, yes. We have received a very generous trade offer from the Chinese."

"I see. Perhaps we can leverage economic power to get them to come to an agreement."

"It is possible," said Knox, though he lacked his boss' optimism. "And it seems the Chinese want to import oil and export machinery."

Granted, his work was practically focused on trade and economics, particularly the deal with Royal Dutch Shell. In a way, he was one of the few people standing in the way of another energy crisis.

Yes, I did say otherwise.

While oil is a big issue, reduced civilian oil use on the island, coupled with imports from the Americans and the Dutch should give the revolutionaries enough to get them through.

Of course, drilling for oil will be Priority One, but in the meantime, it should hold them over. Especially with legislation and social pressure cutting the amount of cars on the road and road travel generally being restricted to essential travel.

Last edited:
This may be off topic but, why does shikai have to die in this story? He would be a great asset to Suns regime, because he does have the credentials of a competent administrator and statesmen unlike sun.
The revolutionaries have iron-clad proof that he would betray the republic. Why would they ever want to team up with him, let alone give him power?

It would be like the Romans electing Caesar Consul despite knowing that he would march on Rome.

All I see here is Yuan having the last laugh since suns regime will obv *hopefully* fall into chaos because democracy in mainland china has always been a failure atleast the one time it was done.

A big thing of this story is that this is a brave new world everyone is going into, whether you're from the past or the future. What happens in our time will not necessarily happen here. Especially when you have people who learned from the mistakes of our time and are trying to avoid the same mistakes.

Expect the same results as last time at your own peril. These are different circumstances, so expect different results.

Also, I don't really think Yuan is the paragon of stability when China basically collapsed into warlords when he died.

Okay, I'm like 95% sure that you're the guy from the TNO community server who was praising Yuan Shikai last night when I was talking with some of the guys there about this story.

Normally, that would sound a bit odd, but your account was created like ten minutes after you left.

Now, I'll admit that Yuan did some good things like ending extraterritoriality and penal reform. But the general historical consensus is that he was a bad leader for not only overthrowing the government, but also giving in to Japan's demands and weakening the central government to the point that it collapsed after his death.

While I'm always open to criticism and discussion for this story, it has to be constructive criticism. This comes off less as constructive and more like anger that the story did not play out the same that you wanted.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this last time about medicine. Imagine the influence Taiwan will have when VIPs around the world realize if they wanna get the best doctor, they have to go to Taiwan.

Good point. I think a lot of rich people would have to weigh the options.

Sure, they could sail there. Or fly, once Taiwan gets airports up and running.

But at the same time, geopolitics would play a factor.

It's another carrot the Chinese can utilize.

Next chapter should be coming up in a few hours.

Where we get to see just what the revolutionaries can drop from a C-130 on Tokyo.

No, it's not a nuke.

Chapter 28: Closer to the Edge
Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, Republic of China, 18 October 1911

"It was over before it even started," Colonel Michael Chen decided, now that the city was secured. "You'd think they'd learn by now."

"It's not like they had that many survivors to tell them how we fight, Mike," his friend told him, motioning to the prisoners the Army were transporting. "So the same trick seems to work every time."

"Fair enough," Chen admitted. Not that he was complaining.

Truth be told, the last week or so was almost a blur to him.

After they took Changchun, they needed a day to finally understand just what had happened and secure the city. True to their word, the Loyalists soldiers fought the Japanese on one side of the city, while the Marines and Army circled around and flanked the IJA.

By the end of it, there wasn't that much of an IJA to surrender, while the Loyalists formally surrendered, now that the IJA were dead.

Then again, it wasn't as if they had much of an option, anyways, now that the rest of the Army had caught up with them and surrounded them on the other side.

Once they were disarmed and captured, it was just a matter of having Prince Chun formally sign the abdication of the Qing Emperor, on account of said Emperor being a five year old child.

Well, there were terms to be negotiated, but then there would be a signing, and it wasn't like the Qing court (or what was left of it, now that their Prime Minister was dead in his office and his predecessor was exploded by the former).

The terms were simple: In addition to the Emperor abdicating, there was also the acknowledgement of the Republic of China as the successor state to the Qing Empire and all its territories, as well as appropriated funds for the maintenance of the several tombs and other sites of familial importance.

As for the Emperor himself, it was decided that the young boy and his family would be transported to Taiwan, where they would live as private citizens. The former Emperor himself would receive a healthy stipend, as well as admission to the best private schools on the island.

It wasn't much (and it was subject to change if it didn't work), but it should help the boy grow up better than he did in the Lost History.

All of that, in one day. Christ.

After that, it was time for the rest of the Army to catch up, along with the supply lines. Sure, they could move fast, but it had been a near-miracle that they stayed supplied with how rapidly they had been advancing.

Needless to say, they weren't planning on stretching their luck as much, this time.

Now with that out of the way, it was on to Harbin, the Russians' main (and only) stronghold in Manchuria.

Or at least it would have been, had there not been the Lalin River blocking them and only one rail bridge across it.

Now, contrary to popular belief, the Russians weren't stupid. Or rather, General Brusilov wasn't stupid. The Tsar himself left much to be desired.

Brusilov knew full well that if the Chinese were to come for Harbin, they would need the bridge. Unfortunately, he also needed that bridge if he wanted to take the rest of Manchuria and complete his orders from the Tsar. Now, this would have normally been a stalemate.

Chen wasn't about to send his men onto a bridge that, for all he knew, the Russians had wired with explosives. Meanwhile, Brusilov wasn't about to abandon his defenses to attack the same army that had wiped out the expeditions sent to Xinjiang and Mongolia.

Or at least it would have, had the Chinese Army's Engineers not shown up on the 15th with half a dozen M3 Amphibious Rigs. If Michael's math was right, those would be just enough to cross the two hundred meter wide river.

The plan was simple: Artillery would bombard the Russians on the other side of the river, while Dragon Squadron would pull double duty, destroying Russian artillery and attacking the Russian telegraph lines.

Meanwhile, the Engineers would use this time to deploy the M3s into the Lalin, give the all-clear, then signal for the 66th to cross the river and begin their spearhead.

To say that the Russians were "shocked" would be an understatement. While they knew that something was going on, they didn't know what was going on.

Then the Tanks came through, plowing the Russian trenches into a breach that Chen's men, then the Army's men, rushed through.

After that, it was like clockwork. Armored and motorized units rushed through the gap in the Russian lines, only to spread out and encircle small pockets of a thousand or so men at a time while Chen and his marines wrought utter havoc behind enemy lines.

They drove forward, charging straight towards the reinforcements, guns blazing while the bullets pinged from the sides. Only hours later would he learn that the 66th had obliterated the Russian relief force sent to fill the breach.

But the Marines kept going, with the armored well behind them, until they hit Harbin.

And then? The local garrison was expecting Russian soldiers to return from the front, either victorious or carrying their wounded. Not sixty-ton Chinese monstrosities firing at them with their two machine guns and salvos of tank shells..

By the end of the day, they were in Harbin, though General Brusilov was nowhere to be found. From the sound of it, he had retreated his headquarters from Harbin to Blagoveschensk, if not Khabarovsk or Vladivostok itself.

Not that Chen would complain. He and his men had helped themselves to the officers' baggage train they'd left behind.

Which brought them to today.

They had captured the last (and only) Russian stronghold in Manchuria, but the war wasn't over. After all, it wasn't like Brusilov was offering terms of surrender, at least as far as he knew.

And the Japanese? Knowing them, he figured they were trying to raise another army to hold Korea, if not invade Manchuria again.

"So," Li asked him. "What's the plan?"

"I dunno. Chase them to the border? Wait, we're already doing that."

"Yeah. Plus, the Army's mopping up for us right now."

"Great. Um… Liberate Korea?" His friend shook his head. "I thought so. Long as the Russians are still here, the military's split between holding the Yalu and watching the Russian frontier."

"Short of taking Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, and Blagoveschensk, we're stuck holding the line until news hits St. Petersburg or the Japanese finally give in."

"Yeah…" Michael mused, before looking at his map. "Think we could do it?"

"Do what?"

"Take those three cities," he said plainly. "They're not as large as they were in our time, right?"

"I don't think so?" The historian-turned-agent told him. "The data's all in Russian, but HISTINT did say there's only about half a million people in what we would call 'Outer Manchuria," mainly concentrated in the areas of Khabarovsk "

"Plus, the bulk of their army has been encircled and captured over the last few days, right?"

"Yeah…" And then it finally sank in. "Christ, Mike. Are you serious?!"

"Yeah? I mean, we probably have more manpower in the region than the Russians have people. At least around here, anyways."

"Oh boy," Li sighed. It wasn't so much that he was worried about his friend's safety, but that he was worried that this would actually work. "I'll go get Huang on the line."

"Great. So, you think you can pitch it to him?"

"Hell no. You tell him. It's your idea."

"Hey, it could be worse. We could have tried invading Korea."

"I don't think anyone's that nuts. Even you."

Tokyo, Empire of Japan, 19 October 1911

To put it mildly, Katsura Taro was not a happy man. Not when his troops had suffered defeat after defeat in Manchuria, to the point that they'd even lost Kwantung itself.

"Can somebody," he asked exasperatedly, "Anybody, tell me one single fucking detail of good news about the campaign in Manchuria?!"

"Governor Terauchi Masatake," War Minister Ishimoto began, "has informed us that Choson is still under our control-"

Finally, some fucking good news.

"...Though there has been an increased unrest ever since the bulk of the garrison moved north."

"Damn it." It had been driving the Prime Minister to his wits' end. "Even if we control Choson, we will have lost territory to the Chinese, Ishimoto. This war will have been a failure, at the cost of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives! And for what? Losing our Chinese holdings?!"

"We cannot hope to take Manchuria with so few men," Ishimoto said as straight-faced as possible, undeterred by Katsura's wrath. "As of now, we may be able to hold the Chinese at the Yalu River and suppress any rebels if we move every professional soldier we have into Choson. And even then, we would still not have enough to take back Kwantung, let alone take Manchuria."

"And what would you do, then, Ishimoto," Katsura asked him. The man's voice reeked of venomous frustration as he questioned the War Minister. "I want options. Plans."

"One option that is on the table," Ishimoto said calmly, "Is to mobilize the country for war, conscripts and all."

"Then we will do that," Katsura told him. "Send the order for conscription."

"Prime Minister, are you sure about this?" Ishimoto couldn't believe what he was hearing. "What I have proposed is an option, but I ask you to reconsider! Tokyo is already undergoing unrest after the detention of Mayor Ozaki Yujio. If we enact conscription, that would almost certainly inflame-"

"Do we have a choice, Ishimoto?" the Prime Minister was almost shouting at this point. "We have already lost so many men, and I will not let their sacrifice be in vain."

"If we lose Kwantung to the Chinese, I- we will be disgraced. Japan will be disgraced, turned into a laughingstock for the world. Decades of progress we've made on the global stage will vanish overnight, and that is the best case scenario where the Europeans do not take advantage of us!"

"Like it or not, Ishimoto, we have no option but to press forward. Now you can either give the order, or you can resign in disgrace while I find a new Minister of War who will do what needs to be done. Have I made myself clear?"

"Clear as day," the Minister of War told him. "Then consider this my resignation."

The Viability of Liberating Korea, by Major Martin Li

It is no surprise that Korea is a vital area of importance to us. While it isn't part of China in any sense, we do have Korean soldiers within our ranks. Which, coupled with the fact that it is a Japanese colony home to hundreds of thousands of Japanese troops, means that neutralizing it is in China's interest.

However, our current forces would be at a severe disadvantage if the National Revolutionary Army were to invade the Korean Peninsula due to two factors: Terrain and Manpower.

Regarding terrain, it seems that Korea's terrain is hostile to our own forces in almost every sense. While I'm sure that the locals would be willing to work with us over the Japanese, the fact remains that Korea, outside of the West and South, is a largely mountainous region, allowing for the Japanese to minimize the manpower required to stall our forces multiple chokepoints.

Moreover, the terrain itself allows for the Japanese to launch a guerrilla campaign against our forces, even if we fully occupy the territory. This, I would argue, is due to, for lack of a better term, the Japanese not being stupid. They will adapt to our tactics, and it would be foolish to expect them not to, when the terrain is practically suited towards hiding from our aircraft and armor.

Of course, we could systematically root out the Japanese forces in Korea, but that would require us to dedicate a significant amount of manpower and resources that we need to garrison and administer China itself, even if we are rapidly recruiting local troops in liberated areas. Or to put it another way, this will be much more costly than chasing them down in Humvees across open plains.

Which brings me to the second problem we would face: Manpower.

While we have almost every force multiplier on the planet, from air superiority, to superior firepower, to maneuverability, to a hundred years of tactics and strategy (just to name a few), and those are the only ones I can think of, off the top of my head.

And sure, we could probably beat them in almost any battle out in the open, but the fact remains that we are going to be heavily outnumbered. If we look at the number of Japanese troops mobilized for World War I, we're looking at almost a million men mobilized for the war effort, and the vast majority would be deployed to Korea, and that would be a low estimate..

In contrast, our armies number about two hundred thousand Taiwanese troops, one hundred and fifty thousand New Army Defectors, with several hundred thousand more in training. While we could, in theory, match the Japanese man-for-man, the vast majority of these new troops would be infantry, lacking the armor, motorized vehicles, and air support that the modern NRA troopers enjoy. Factor in all the territory that we have to occupy (even if said occupation goes as seamlessly as it currently is), and we could field two hundred to two hundred and fifty thousand troops to invade Korea.

This, of course, does not factor in casualties. While we have, in theory, a near-infinite amount of manpower, guns, bullets, and shells, we have a finite amount of tanks, trucks, and artillery, not to mention aircraft, the latter of which will need to be maintained or replaced, sooner or later.

Sure, I doubt that the Japanese can shoot down an Apache, but they sure as hell can explode an M60 through trial and error. And that's before we get into all those precision guided munitions that we are already using sparingly. Not to mention all the munitions that we have in storage.

While I don't think we could run out of bombs and rockets, invading Korea against a well-entrenched IJA fighting a war of attrition could actually do it.

Could we win? Definitely. But it's going to cost us dearly. Ammunition, equipment, and manpower would be lost in larger quantities than we've ever experienced so far. And those last two are pretty hard to replace.

In short, while we can invade Korea, the IJA's advantages in sheer manpower and terrain would cause heavy losses in terms of manpower, ammunition, and equipment on our side. While we do have a significant edge when it comes to technology, force multipliers, and local support, such a campaign would be costly, at best.

As such, almost any alternative would be preferable to an outright invasion, and we should look into them accordingly.

Tianjin Air Base, Tianjin, Zhili Province, Republic of China, 20 October 1911

Shannon Wu could only look in awe as the cargo jet unloaded its massive payload.

That was all she could do, anyways, with how tight the security had been on the runways. Whatever this was, it was important. That much she knew.

"I thought I'd find you here." Shannon turned around to see Rachel walking up to her. "It's important. Trust me on this."

"I do," Shannon admitted. Not like she had much of a choice, since the MIB agent before her definitely did know more than she did. "Do you think it will work?"

"Honestly?" the Major told her, turning towards the secret cargo. "I don't know for sure."

"Yeah… What are you doing here, anyways?"

"It's classified. You?"

"Re-arming. Apparently we're headed east, now. Michael's got us pushing towards Vladivostok."

"Really?" Shannon could hear just the slightest shift in her voice. "Then we're headed in the same direction again."

"Oh?" A small smile formed on the agent's face. "It's better than Korea, at least."

"Yeah." Try as she might, Shannon wasn't exactly looking forward to fighting there. "Too many mountains. Plus, the Japanese actually have people there."

"Exactly. We may have to resort to… 'unorthodox' methods to deal with the Korean issue."

"Is that what's being unloaded?" Rachel's face was dead-serious, almost emotionless. "Figures. Was worth a shot, at least."

"What I can tell you, Shannon, is that whatever's in there is not a nuke."

"Wait… Do we have nukes?"

"No."

Chapter 29: Death From Above
Skies Above Irkutsk, Russian Empire, 21 October 1911

"Stork 1, this is Qilin. You are approaching Irkutsk. Open the rear door and prepare to drop cargo."

"Copy, Qilin," the C-130 pilot answered. "Opening rear door."

"Stork 1, you are in range. Deploy cargo. How copy?"

"Stork 1 copies," the pilot answered back again, only to shout off into the back. "Release the cargo!"

Qilin's Major looked into the night-vision camera installed on their AWACS to see that yes, they had launched every bit of their cargo.

"Stork 1 to Qilin: Cargo is away. Returning to base to refuel and resupply for the second mission. Interrogative: Where are we headed?"

"Vladivostok."

Skies Above Pyongyang, Japanese Choson, 21 October 1911

"Stork 2," the voice announced through the pilot's headset, "You are entering the drop zone. Commence cargo run."

"On it," she said to the AWACS, then switched channels. "Lieu, drop the cargo!"

"On it," the Sergeant shouted back to her. She could hear the sound of fluttering in the background. "Cargo is free!"

"Hei Gui, this is Stork 2. First cargo drop is clear. Moving on to the second target."

"Good work," Hei Gui told her, "Link up with the tanker and get ready to fly to Seoul."

Sugamo Prison, Tokyo, Japan, 22 October 1911

From what he heard, the crowd had grown larger and angrier by the day. Shouts to end the war mixed with chants to free their mayor, until the two were one and the same.

Of course, there had been other shouts as well. Shouts that Katsura Taro was a corrupt man. Shouts that Katsura Taro was in bed with the militarists.

Needless to say, there were also shouts that Katsura Taro was a corrupt man in bed with the militarists. Though those were hardly anything new.

Except this time, they were chanted by protesters through the streets around the prison, not angry members of the Opposition in the Diet.

Day after day he'd seen the crowd grow. And night after night, he'd seen more of the crowd stay.

And that was before Prime Minister Katsura had enacted conscription. Now, the crowd was utterly massive, their numbers swelled by men who, while not necessarily opposed to the invasion of Manchuria, were opposed to being conscripted to fight in Manchuria.

Tokyo was on the edge of chaos. Soldiers stared down protesters in the streets, though nothing more than swears and warning shots had been exchanged so far.

For how long? I don't know. Hopefully longer than I'm imprisoned here.

Should that happen, maybe he could do something to prevent his city from descending into chaos. After all, he was a known critic of militarism, and now he had the time in prison to prove it.

Still, he knew that one little slip was all that was needed to let it all come tumbling down.

He continued to look at the street, seeing just what was happening. Listening to the arguments and chants calling for his freedom until they were drowned out by a large roar.

Ozaki looked up from the window to see just what was coming from there. To his surprise, a large, dark figure flew over the prison, traveling with impunity through the Tokyo night sky.

Then, from its rear, something… he didn't know what it was, but something fluttered into the night sky.

Just what was flying, he didn't know, but he continued to peer out as the swarm of… what was that? Paper? Fluttered towards Tokyo.

Now, Ozaki Yukio was no fool. He knew what an airplane was. Going off of that, then this must mean that the dark figure in the distance was an airplane, though larger than any he had ever heard of.

Why would an airplane drop paper?

He sat there in his cell, wondering just what was going on and why it was happening.

At least he had been, until one paper flew through his window and into his cell. He held it up to the light to find that it was written in perfect Japanese:

To the People of Japan:

This is a message from the Republic of China.

Like you, we look towards the future. A future where all Asians may live in peace and prosperity. One where we embrace technology and human progress, instead of looking to the past.

To that end, we, the people of China, rebelled against the Qing Empire and their backwardness.

Like you, we embraced science and technology to rapidly defeat their armies.

Like you, we defeated the Russians who saw us as a lesser, backwards people. We sent them back to Russia, and we are marching on Vladivostok as you read this.

But your leaders, including General Katsura Taro, have allied with the backwards Qing. In doing so, they have allied themselves against the very progress that so many of you have fought and bled for.

If General Katsura had his way, China, and Asia with it, would be sent back a hundred years, back to a time when men like him whored out our peoples to the Europeans who see us as sub-human!

Regrettably, we have been forced to fight back. And when we did, General Katsura Taro sent hundreds of thousands of your brothers and fathers to their deaths.

And for what? Greed? Power?

We fear that it is both. We fear that General Katsura Taro seeks to undo decades of progress for his own selfish ends. A man like him does not act as a democratic leader, but as a dictatorial shogun.

However, we are well-aware that General Katsura is not the Japanese people, nor are you him. To that end, we are willing to negotiate peace with the Empire of Japan and put an end to General Katsura's bloody ambitions.

Our terms are simple: We will accept peace when the Empire of Japan retreats from Mainland China, Korea, and Karafuto. In addition, the Empire of Japan must renounce any and all claims on the territory.

Know that we do not want to fight you.

But if your leaders do not come to the negotiating table, then we will have no other option than to continue fighting.

And the next plane will drop explosives.

Vladivostok, Primorskaya Oblast, Russian Empire, 24 October 1911

General Aleksei Alekseyevich Brusilov looked at the paper the Commander had given him.

It was a white printed paper with dark black letters in cleanly-printed Russian.

"Is this genuine, Kolchak?"

"As genuine as the plane it came from," the naval officer told him. "The men have been going around the city and collecting them off the ground. As per your orders, it is contraband and should be disposed of accordingly."

"Of course. Now, Commander. Do you believe what it says?"

"That it is from the Republic of China and that they have wiped out the expeditions sent to Mongolia and Turkestan?"

"Yes."

"If I may, General, I would normally say that it is a lie. However, the damage along the Trans-Siberian Railway does lend credence to this. Factor in how the expeditionary forces sent to Turkestan and Mongolia haven't been heard from in weeks, and there is a good chance that this is actually telling the truth."

"Then it is as bad as it seems," the General agreed. "And the rest?"

"General," the sailor said with all due respect. "Unless this is some sort of sick joke, they have annihilated our forces in Zheltorossiya and are now advancing on Vladivostok itself."

Then it truly was as bad as he feared. He had done the best he could have with what he had been given. Normally, hundreds of thousands of troops would be enough to defeat the Qing Army, just as they had a decade ago.

But this wasn't the Qing Army. No, this was something else entirely, unless the Qing had somehow managed to develop and weaponize airplanes, armored vehicles, and revolutionize mobile warfare in a decade.

Now, he'd heard the rumors. How couldn't he, when the Tsar wouldn't stop going on and on about how the Chinese had gotten revenge for the humiliations of 1905? Not only that, but the Japanese themselves had confirmed that they had lost the bulk of their fleet.

But to be on the receiving end of the sheer firepower and speed of this "New Chinese Army?"

Truth be told, it horrified him. In the matter of a few weeks, the vast majority of his army was either dead, encircled, captured, or wounded, with only a fraction of his own men retreating with him to Vladivostok, out of the hundreds of thousands he had before.

And while surrender was tempting, and part of him wanted to simply get it over with, he would make do with what he had left.

"Kolchak, what is the situation for the fleet?"

"We have a few ships in harbor. While we are at little risk of being attacked while in port, we do not have the firepower to threaten any naval forces outside of our harbor."

"I see." While he would never admit it, the Japanese had a stronger Pacific fleet than Russia did. And if they had gotten annihilated in a single night, how could the Pacific Fleet fare any better? "And the men?"

"The garrison is at full strength, along with what remains of our men after the retreat."

"And the supplies?"

"In terms of food? We should be fine for, say, a few months. We still control the harbors, so our fishing boats can gather additional food. I would say that we could last four months comfortably. Half a year if we stretch it out long enough, though it wouldn't be comfortable."

"All the more reason that we need that relief force to arrive, Kolchak. Has the Tsar received our message?"

"Yes. But there is one glaring problem."

"The Chinese intercepting the fleet, yes." That was something Brusilov never thought he'd end up saying. "Which means we have, at most, six months of food."

"Yes. There is one problem I've noticed."

"Yes?"

"Heating. While most of Vladivostok can be heated with firewood, we would lose access to the forests during a siege."

"Of course. How about coal, oil, or natural gas?"

"We have a finite supply of oil and natural gas. As for coal…"

"We need it for the ships." Kolchak nodded. "Which means that we would have to choose between freezing and going hungry."

And if he was being honest, Brusilov was not sure which he would rather endure.

"If we ration our firewood, coal, oil, and natural gas, how long could we last?"

"Without taking from the ships' supply?" Brusilov nodded. "Three months."

Shit. We would run out by Mid-January.

"Of course," Kolchak continued, "this would imply that our defenses hold for that long."

"And what is the state of our defenses?"

"While we have enough men to man the defenses, we face two major problems."

"Go on."

"First, the fortifications are still under construction. While we have the initial strong points, the fact remains that the Vladivostok fortifications would have needed years to reach full strength."

Brusilov grimaced at the thought. Much as he hated it, he couldn't blame the Tsar for this when the man had spent every penny he could on fortifying the city. The problem, however, was that all the money in the world couldn't make men work faster.

"And the second problem?"

"Those defenses are designed to hold off a naval assault."

"Ah."

While the batteries could, in theory, be targeted towards the land, they were specifically designed to target battleships. It would be like trying to kill an ant with a hammer: Possible, yes, but highly impractical.

"We still have the bunker on the outskirts of the city, which should defend against any land assault, and keep their forces at a distance." At this point, it was a series of concrete fortifications with machine guns and artillery hastily mounted all around it, but it was better than nothing. "Of course, the batteries could be re-targeted to hold off a naval assault, but that would-"

A loud explosion sounded off in the distance, and both officers jolted up.

"What was that?" Kolchak asked his commander, before another explosion echoed through the city. "You heard that, right?"

Brusilov nodded and pulled his binoculars from the desk drawer, then followed the naval officer out.

What the two of them saw, however, needed no binoculars. Not when plumes of smoke rose across the city and Russky Island.

Brusilov pulled out a map, orienting it to where he was looking. To his horror, the batteries around the city, or at least the ones that had been finished, were up in flames. Off in the distance, he could see those damned Chinese aircraft flying away, now that their mission had been completed.

But as the aircraft flew away, he could see one more flying towards them. This one, it seems, was not flying alone. No, he had seen this one before.

This is the one that dropped those damned leaflets.

Brusilov sighed, and turned back to his office. He'd had enough for one day. If they were going to drop more paper on Vladivostok, then he wasn't going to stop them.

Hell, at least we will have something to heat our homes with.

And then he heard the explosion tear through the air, louder than any he'd ever heard his entire military career. He turned around to see a massive explosion off towards the outskirts of the city

Or at least the mushroom cloud that rose in the aftermath.

Questions ran rampant through his head as the explosion echoed throughout the city.

What was that?

Since when did the Chinese have a weapon like that?

Do they have more of them?

It doesn't matter.

What do we do?

Do we stay and fight?

Would they use another one of those weapons if we did?

Do we surrender?

Do we surrender unconditionally, or do we negotiate terms?

Are we even in any position to negotiate terms?

Kolchak turned to him. The officer was pale as snow, his eyes wide with shock at the sight before him. So he turned to Brusilov for an answer. Any answer.

But the general didn't know. Not with all the questions rampaging through his head.

Still, he was able to learn one thing from this ordeal. It wasn't much, but he knew it for sure, better than the number of months they could hold out.

"The Tsar… He has sent us on a suicide mission."

Last edited:
Back