A Second Sunrise: Taiwan of 2020 Sent Back to 1911

Now I want to mail this alternate Tolkein some Enya tracks. No particular reason; just because.

Actually, am curious as to how some downtimers react to various uptime music genres. A lot would not necessarily jive with them pardon the pun, but electro-swing could jump out as a mix of today and the tomorrow that is now lost.

So there are some topic like this, since some of them are already in our daily life, will the 'downtimer' point out some of the inconsistent in our culture/consumer product here ? (like diamond for wedding, despite it one of the most common gems, it end up overpriced and put into our culture by certain big family/corporation here, then there are such thing as 'blood diamond'. You could check this guy honest ads for more idea like "Coffee")

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6nVPAUEvw&lc=Ugyuq21EBcQp-rxiNRt4AaABAg.9rffFwHsGeT9rfnkWnekDX

Chapter 64: Making History
Diary of Lei Feng, 24 April 1928

There is a saying in the Lost History, about the "End of History." In this, Francis Fukuyama argued about an end-point.

For him, it was a liberal democracy with America leading the world. For us, it could be a liberal democracy with China at the forefront.

This notion may be untenable, as history will continue. The days will go on, as will the development of society and culture.

While the notion of a world without soldiers is appealing, the reality is that men like me will be necessary.

Geopolitical circumstances are constantly-changing, and there will need to be people who can address these new circumstances.

It is for that reason that Asia has grown more united than I could have thought even a decade ago. In doing so, it may be possible to avert the mistakes of the Lost History.

Mine included.

To know what I am capable of is amazing, humbling, insightful and horrifying.

Cihu National Mausoleum, Taoyuan City, Taiwan, Republic of China, 5 May 1928

He'd come here so many times, and he would do so again today.

This place was made for him, after all.

The black marble sarcophagus was his, just as much as the picture was as well.

They were him, but they were not at the same time.

The man in the picture and the man in the sarcophagus united China, then he nearly lost it all.

The man he was had fought halfway around the world to secure China's place on the world stage. He himself had helped unite China, and he would not make the same mistake.

How could he, when he had stayed as far away from politics as he could?

Oh he did make the occasional speech before the Ministry of Defense, but that and veteran's benefits were the most he'd waded into the political swamp.

Yet here I am, with people asking me to make the same mistakes a second time.

A dictatorship may have been necessary in the wake of a Civil War, but this? What enemy is there to fight now?

The Ministry of Finance when they arrest people for tax evasion?

"Even you would have said no to this madness," he said to the sarcophagus. "I know I have a role to play, and I will not lose what Sun and so many others have built."

"Not this time."

Military Intelligence Bureau Headquarters, Nanjing, Jiangsu, Republic of China, 6 June 1928

Director Li turned the page of the book.

He then turned back, only to see his name in there once more.

"Huh."

How the Hell did I end up in Winston Churchill's alternate history?

Oh, right. Homer.

The former ambassador had seen China as a worthy ally to the Americans and British against the Japanese and Russians, yet the near-opposite had happened.

L8 had his ideas, as did Lea. That, he could respect.

But to see Lea advocate for American support to the British had been the final straw that broke any rapport they still had.

That didn't stop Li from keeping Lea's book, The Northern Expedition, on his shelf.

The director stood up and picked up the old book.

He thumbed his way past the signed letter cover page, then found what he was looking for.

"Besides our own men," the book read, "There are those from the island in the sea of time who have joined us. Major Martin Li, as he calls himself, is our liaison with the Islanders, and we have him to thank for the weapons and armor we are equipped with."

"He is a curious man. Well-read and educated, he speaks English with a Californian accent that embodies all of China's potential."

So that's where Churchill got my name from.

It all made sense to him now.

Churchill needed a historical figure for the spymaster in Twenty Years' Difference, and it turned out that he was a perfect fit for the competent antagonist for the plot's war in the shadows.

For a person who used me as a bad guy, Churchill is surprisingly fair. Most people decide to go all "Yellow Peril" on us, and here he is painting me as this skilled Machiavellian who laid the groundwork for the global conflict.

Honestly, it's kinda flattering… Even if he writes alternate-me as a cold-hearted evil bastard who feuds with my best friend while we take over the world.

Which, now that he thought about it, was kinda funny since he still ended up as China's spymaster. The Republic of China, that is.

Now that he thought about it, that was a good enough legacy for him. Secrecy was his bread and butter, and he'd take "Alternate History Villain" over people finding out about all the fucked-up things he'd done.

SinoRail Headquarters, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China

"Is this General Chen Qirui?" the voice on the phone asked. "Um… Hello?"

"Who is this?" asked the former general, "And how did you get this number?"

"Oh good, it is you. I'm calling on behalf of my boss to invite you to dinner. All expenses paid, of course."

"Sorry, I'm busy tonight. Son has a little league game."

"Oh, hardly. All we ask is for a bit of your time, when you're available."

Oh great. Lobbyists.

I guess it comes with the territory.

"Sure, why not?"

Welhausen School, Cotulla, Texas, United States of America, 29 August 1928

This all started as an odd job to pay his way through college. Teach these children, and he'd be have the money to graduate.

But these students? These children he'd met?

They wouldn't have that opportunity.

Oh sure, they had air conditioning nowadays, but the fact remained that these were poor Mexican children in a segregated school.

College wasn't an option to them, and that was assuming they had the money they almost-certainly didn't have.

It didn't seem right, if he was being honest. Here he was, a young man who'd grown up poor who would have his degree by 1930.

Yet these children who also grew up poor wouldn't have those opportunities. Not when segregation was alive and well.

Oh, he knew it would go away eventually, but it would take decades. And even then, social acceptance would take decades after that.

That didn't mean that future wasn't worth fighting for. Then again, the same could be said for these children.

It would be hard. He'd like to think he was an open-minded fellow, but he knew old prejudices died hard despite the Klan being persona non grata at this point.

And that was before he got to the part where he had to rise through the ranks against all those born with silver spoons in their mouths.

It would be hard, but it would be worth fighting for.

If a poor kid from Johnson, Texas could rise to the nation's highest office and do so much good, then he knew he could as well.

After all, he'd done it before.

Jade Dragon Teahouse, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China, 9 September 1928

"General-"

"You don't have to call me that," Michael told Opposition Leader Wu Ji, "I've been retired for a few years."

"That doesn't diminish your service. Or the respect so many of your men have for you."

"I insist."

"Very well. Now where were we? Ah, current events. I take it that you've heard about the recent dust-up after the leaks?"

"Yeah, something like that. Lot of people implicated all over the KMT."

"Particularly on the Blues," the politician corrected, "Several of my allies have been implicated in the leaks, yet the Greens have been largely-untouched. Curious, isn't it?"

"Are you suggesting there's something more, Wu?"

"Only what it looks like, General. A concerted effort to purge the Blues from government."

"So a conspiracy… in the form of an anti-corruption movement. With all due respect, why should I try to bail your guys out?"

"For stability's sake. Should the Blues collapse, the KMT's Grand Coalition will fall with it. And if the Grand Coalition collapses, China may very well descend into chaos and squander all that you would have fought for."

The Hell are they trying to do? Ask me to coup the damn government?

"Which would make an emergency government necessary."

"Precisely."

Fuck.

Okay, this is bad. I need to tell Marty… But I'll need proof. Phone would be too obvious if I just started recording.

Okay, I'll need an excuse. And I'll need to get good at acting real fast.

"Go on…" he said, taking another sip of tea… only for the scalding cup to fall right into his lap. "Shit."

Well, at least it's realistic. And surprisingly painful.

"Are you alright, General?"

"Cup slipped. Excuse me for a second."

"Of course."

Michael walked over to the bathroom and into a stall to maximize privacy. It was the least-likely place to be bugged or with cameras.

Because come on, what kind of poor sucker wants to spy on guys while they're on the toilet?

Now, some would call it paranoia, but he knew enough about OPSEC to keep his mouth shut. It was the same reason he kept his phone out for the few seconds it took to open the audio app and start recording.

Orange icon in the corner… Good.

So he finished drying off what he could with the paper towels, then walked back into the main dining room.

"You're back."

"Yeah… Managed to find some paper towels. So, where were we?"

"Discussing the nature of an emergency government. As a man who has worked with limited means, you are quite possibly the most knowledgeable about the subject."

"Yeah, you could say that…" Okay good, they don't really notice. "Now, I would need to know what I'm working with. Besides the Marines, of course."

"They would follow you?"

"Yeah. They'll follow me."

Michael glared daggers at Wu Ji, giving the man a look he hadn't given ever since he faced down machine gun fire at the tip of the spear

"In retirement, men and women often take up hobbies. Mine is maintaining a democracy."

"If you get half a million soldiers advocating anything smelling of Fascism, I am going to get half a million more and we'll kick the Hell out of you."

"Then we'll have a real war right at home."

Chapter 5: Economies of Scale. The Black Book of Anarchism, by Nestor Makhno.

Anarchism (or libertarianism, as it is called in the west) has been vindicated in the fields across Ukraine and Russia. As I write this there are countless men and women who put these beliefs in action in the fields every day.

The fall of the Diterikhs regime and the subsequent concessions by the Provisional Government led to agrarian reforms that gave power to the peasants, rather than the landed elite.

While they will use the term "anarchy" as an insult, it is a way of life in the countryside. Here the people are truly free, and our society is ruled by personal responsibility, not landed aristocracy.

The introduction of modern medicine and machinery have only furthered the anarchist movement.

The former, which had been distributed by the central government, would protect us from all sorts of disease. Smallpox, tuberculosis, and pneumonia may exist, but there are people alive thanks to that medicine.

The machinery itself has only improved our lives further. These machines that were donated from China have been able to produce more crops in less time, and the average man or woman benefits in the greater nutrition and lower work hours.

These advancements come at the cost of questioning the purpose of anarchism itself. While they are no doubt beneficial, these medicines and machines may be impossible to produce in a simple commune.

The vaccine, the tractor, and the computer are all useful tools that have no doubt helped our cause.
But the fact remains that none of these inventions could be made under anarchism in its current form.

The vaccine requires modern laboratories and scientific knowledge, as well as mass-manufacturing capabilities. The same could be said of the tractor and the computer.

All of these are beyond our capacity at the moment.

Uptimer anarchists have claimed that a single commune could produce complicated goods.

There was one exchange where an anarchist argued that a rural commune that produced beans could create insulin or at least a substitute. Another claimed that traveling craftsmen would be able to produce glasses for different communes.

Although these ideas do have some merit, it seems that these anarchists have not touched the grass on the ground in a long while, let alone the grass in a commune.

The fact remains that these complicated goods are difficult to produce due to requiring a complicated supply chain, highly-skilled workers, or some combination of the two.

In contrast, most anarchist communes are largely rural in nature, with minimal mass-manufacturing capacity and a similar degree of technological expertise.

The issue at hand is that rural anarchist communes are incapable of producing the advanced goods that currently make our anarchist experiment viable.

Our communes have been largely-reliant on trading our surplus produce to address these shortcomings. However, the very act of bartering with non-anarchists calls into question the validity of anarchism itself.

If Anarchism cannot produce advanced goods, then is it a viable system outside of rural agriculture?

The answer at first glance is a resounding no. The average rural commune cannot produce eyeglasses, nor can they produce insulin, let alone computers and tractors.

These are complicated goods that require resource extraction, logistics, and manufacturing that are beyond the scale of anything a self-contained rural commune can handle.

Although critics of anarchism would argue that it can only be limited to rural communes, the success of syndicalism in France presents an alternative.

This alternative involves the creation of the equivalent of agrarian communes for non-agrarian fields such as resource extraction and manufacturing.

Close coordination will be necessary between these non-agrarian communes as any non-agrarian commune is inherently incapable of self-sufficiency.

Coordination between these non-agrarian communes and the agrarian communes will also be necessary, as both would be reliant on one-another. The former would be reliant on the latter for food, while the latter would be reliant on the former for complicated goods.

This closer coordination will be complicated, but it is necessary if anarchism is to spread beyond the rural agrarian commune.

National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China, 2 October 1928

She could handle reports.

She could handle teaching.

But defending her thesis was not something she was looking forward to.
"Okay," she said, before putting her book down. "Break time."

"Are you alright?" her son asked her, "You've been half-asleep for a while, Mama."

"It comes with the territory, dear," Aki sighed. "Theses are hard to write, and even harder to defend."

"Mama, you literally- er, outright asked Baba for quotes because he was there for a bunch of events. What more could they ask for?"

"Also wasn't your job to write reports for the government?" Morgan chimed in, "Can't you use those?"

"Those are classified, Morgan." Her daughter gave her an odd look. "Those are secrets, Morgan. I can't use government secrets when I'm working on my doctorate."

"Oh, right. Illegal."

"Why do you need books, anyways, Mama?" Lin yawned, "You already have Baba."

"I don't think the professors would accept an entire thesis about how your father was the right man in the right place at the right time."

"I'd read it," her boy grumbled.

"You're not the one I have to convince, Lin. I have to convince the professors that 'Great Men' are people who can rise to the occasion when given the opportunity. Your father is just one example of that."

"Baba was a mechanic in the Marines, right?" Morgan asked. Aki nodded. "But he ended rising through the ranks after the Great Journey."

"Not exactly," the doctoral candidate yawned. "Your father did work as a mechanic, but that was because his unit was under-manned before the Great Journey. He basically did a little bit of everything."

Not like he had much choice. Everybody else kept pulling strings to get sent to the rear, so he kept getting promoted by being the only one who was eligible and competent.

"But when the Great Journey happened, your father was the highest-ranking man in his unit. That meant he had to rise to every occasion that he kept getting dragged into."

"But he was good at his job, right?" Lin asked. Aki nodded. "I don't see the problem."

"Think of it this way, Lin. If your father's commanding officer had been on the island, that would have meant that your father wouldn't have been in charge of his unit. That means he wouldn't have as many opportunities to rise through the ranks and distinguish himself, let alone push for the reforms he'd written reports about."

"I'm not saying that your father isn't a good and capable man." If he wasn't, then I wouldn't have married him. "But what I am saying is that the unique circumstances surrounding the Great Journey allowed him and many other people to distinguish themselves or leave a different mark on history this time around."

"I think I get it," Lin said happily, "It's kinda like hitting a baseball."

"Huh?" Now it was Aki's turn to ask questions. "I… I don't follow."

"In baseball, getting the right kind of pitch is a really big advantage. But at the same time, you still have to hit the ball."

Huh. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Favorable circumstances are all well and good, but people would still need to rise to the occasion.

"Then yes, Lin. Your father constantly getting roped into increasingly-high-stakes scenarios and rising to the occasion by the skin of his teeth is like hitting a baseball."

Last edited:
Chapter 64 Summary:

Mao: "I don't want to screw anything up this time around."
Chiang: "I don't want to screw anything up this time around."
Makhno: "Finished goods are complicated to produce, also please tough grass."
Marty: "Obscurity is good. Oh hey, Downtimer alternate history!"
LBJ: (You'll see more of him)
Aki: Is literally writing history
Michael: Speedrunning his way into becoming the Chinese version of Smedley Butler against the Business Plot.

Last edited:
Let The Games Begin!
1928 Summer Olympics (By Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia)
1928 Summer Olympics

The 1928 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the IX Olympiad and commonly known as Kaohsiung 1928, was an international multi-sport event that was celebrated from 28 July to 12 August 1928 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, China.

Host City Selection

The Chinese Olympic Committee (formerly known as the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee), first participated in the Olympics in 1912, with several athletes that would have been selected for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. However, the controversy over amateurism and the near-banning of the Chinese team in 1916 would lead to a heated controversy over the "Amateurism Rule," as it would be called.

The Chinese National Team would eventually relent and abide by the rules, though the large medal hauls by the Chinese Olympic Team in 1916 and 1920, as well as the economic strength of the Republic of China, would give the nation significant pull over the games. This, coupled with the fallout of the Great War of 1921 to 1924 would lead to much of Europe in ruin while East Asia and the Americas remained untouched, with Los Angeles and Kaohsiung as the only bids submitted for the 1928 Olympiad.

Eventually, a deal would be brokered between the Chinese and American Olympic Committees in which Kaohsiung would host the 1928 Summer Olympics, and Los Angeles would host the next Olympiad in Los Angeles.

Highlights
  • These were the first Olympics to be organized under the IOC presidency of Charlie Soong.
  • The first Olympic flame and torch relay from Athens to the Olympic Stadium took place, a tradition that continues to this day.
  • The Games were officially opened by President Wellington Koo, the third President of the Republic of China.
  • These games were the first to be held over sixteen days, a tradition that has continued to the present day.
  • Several events for women began at the IX Olympiad, including Athletics, Gymnastics, Basketball, Football, and Softball.
  • Over 30% of the participating athletes were women.
  • India, Indochina, Poland, Indonesia, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Arabia competed as independent nations for the first time.
  • Baseball debuted as as an Olympic Sport.
  • China continued its streak as the leader in gold medals, as well as total medals.
Race and the Races: How Asian Olympians Demolish Racist Talking Points, by Kim Yun-o, Pyongyang High School Book Report

It is no secret that racism is an issue that the world will deal with for the foreseeable future. The fact that it is such an issue even a century later in the Lost History is a credit to the poison's staying power.

That said, it is easier to argue that you are racially-superior to other people when you don't have evidence that constantly contradicts you, as we do. Between the Great War, the economic strength of the Asian economies as a whole, and the sheer technological advantages that led to those, it is hard to claim that the people of Asia are in any way inferior to their Western counterparts.

That said, there are arguments that seek to explain this phenomenon. One such example is the claim that most of the Chinese technology was originally developed by Westerners, so as to claim that Westerners are inherently more-creative. Some have even gone so far as to cite the Renaissance as a means of cultural posturing.

While these arguments do not hold much water when one considers the logistical and technological knowledge that comes with designing and manufacturing such technologies like computer chips, these people will always move the goalposts.

That is almost impossible when there are literal goalposts involved.

The Olympics are many things. Idealistic or Appropriating. Amateur or Elitist. Unifying or Competitive.

But at the end of the day, you have people competing with other people from around the world to show who is, quite literally, physically-superior to their opponents. In this sense, it seems that Asian athletes are capable of dominating the playing field again and again, with World Record after World Record being broken.

While there are those who would argue that modern training methods give the Asian athletes an unfair advantage, what these otherwise Social Darwinists do not understand is that the whole world has had over a decade to adapt. By their own standards, "their" athletes are "inferior" to the people they think they're better than.

But at the end of the day, one needs to ask one important question:

Why does this matter?

Does this mean that Asians, rather than Europeans or Americans, are racially superior? Hardly. Give a German or a Brit or an American the same training regimen, and they'll have just as good a shot as anyone else.

In my opinion, these athletes' successes prove only two things.

First, that they truly are the best in the world. Second, that they are the equal of their brothers and sisters in the West.

While racists may find a way, their opponents will always find a way to prove them wrong... even if they'll never admit it out loud.

Chinese Olympic Committee Post-Games Debriefing, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China

"Despite the expansive nature of the games," Zhu Jiayi began, "The fact remains that the Kaohsiung Olympiad was conducted with a relatively-minor budget, given the use of already-existing structures throughout the city. In doing so, costs were minimal, outside of the construction of the Olympic Village and the refurbishing of relevant facilities."

"Olympic Stadium, or as it was previously known, National Stadium, required minimal modifications outside of the Olympic Torch. With other events held at already-existing facilities, our Committee was able to finish the Games under-budget despite the increased-security measures necessary for such an event."

Which was mostly just police shepherding drunk spectators to and from their hotels.

"With regard to controversy, it seems that the 'Olympian Dating App' debacle has been the one black spot on the events." Heaven help me, this is going to be a pain to explain. "As you are all well-aware, the distribution of complementary mobile phones to the athletes led to several instances of... liaisons between athletes when they were not competing."

"Come again?" asked one executive. She was a Downtimer, if Zhu was correct. One of Nanjing's people, he recalled. "Please elaborate, Mr. Zhu."

"'Hooking up,' as the Uptimers call it."

"...Come again?"

"Athletes were meeting one another through dating apps and then, presumably, sleeping with one another."

Real smooth, Zhu.

"...Ah. I take it this isn't a normal occurrence?"

"Actually, this happens more than you would think at the Summer Olympics. What doesn't happen is several countries having their own miniature moral panics over the issue once the news broke out. Next thing you know, the usual suspects are decrying China as a hotbed for 'Moral Degeneracy' that 'Corrupts our youth.'"

"I see... Will this have any long-term effects on China's view on the world stage?"

"Not when Hong Kong exists," Zhu chuckled. "As long as that city exists, everyone already knows where the 'Gay Capital of the World' is."

Last edited:
China numba one yet again!

I wonder if China will keep its lead in sports in the future. While it does have several advantages, such as the largest recruitment pool in the world and large amounts of institutional knowledge in the sports sector, many of these might be mitigated or eliminated over time.

China numba one yet again!

I wonder if China will keep its lead in sports in the future. While it does have several advantages, such as the largest recruitment pool in the world and large amounts of institutional knowledge in the sports sector, many of these might be mitigated or eliminated over time.

I remember writing about how China is technically "cheating" by having full-time amateur athletes. As in, their job is basically an excuse to train.

As other countries adapt to training and technology, they'll catch up. A country like China can only have their advantage for so long, and the medal counts will be less-lopsided in favor of Asia in the long term.

That said, I envision this China's long-term Olympic position as somewhere between the PRC and the US.

Just with fewer shenanigans about lying about their ages.

Chapter 65: Making The Trains Run On Time
SinoRail Headqurters, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China, 10 October 1928

"You know," said the general-turned-board member, "When I was a kid, my friend Martin and I tried to dig a hole to China in his backyard in Irvine. We got about ten feet deep before his mother found out."

"I fail to see how this is relevant, Chen."

"It's a funny story. And oddly relevant, seeing that we're literally digging a tunnel to China."

"And it is a project you gladly supported, thanks to the new plasma tunnel boring system."

"Hey, I never said it wouldn't work. I just think it's funny." And in fairness, it was pretty funny to him. Especially when Mrs. Li found out about it. "Which brings me to our progress report."

"Ah, yes," said Chairman Cheng. "How close are they to finishing?"

"Oh, they just finished."

"The next section?"

"No. The entire tunnel to the mainland."

"That's it?"

"…Yes? Oh, and we're also under-budget for this phase."

"That's to be expected," Secretary Hua answered, "You yourself said it would be cheap."

"Yeah, well, you know how Nanjing will help with resources for key infrastructure and economic projects?" Hua nodded. "Well it turns out Kuosheng NPP's upgrade and expansion means they have more power than we knew what to do with, so we managed to do this on the cheap."

"Impressive. So, where does that leave us?"

"Reinforcement, track-laying, and things like wiring and inspections. They won't get any cheaper, but it's a lot faster than digging a tunnel to the mainland."

"And they're already starting, yes?" Chen nodded. "Estimates?"

The engineer-turned-executive shrugged. "End of the year, tops."

Wuhan, Hubei, Republic of China, 5 November 1928

"Mama," Huang Wen shouted as he ran indoors, "I'm home, Mama!"

"You're early," Huang Bao greeted, before picking up her youngest son. "How was class today?"

"It was fun!" her son told her, with all the enthusiasm that only a small child could have. "We learned about the Qing and the Revolution today!"

"Is that so?" Bao sighed, before shaking her head. "And how was practice?"

"Not too bad. Coach wouldn't let me pitch, but he lets Kai do it, and he's worse than me!"

"Isn't Kai his son?" Wen nodded, and his mother shook her head again. "Ah, I see why."

"It's not too bad. I still get to hit. Which reminds me: Can we take the metro to the park?"

"Are you done with your homework?"

"Yup!"

"Then yes, I don't see why not." The station is only a few minute's walk. "What has you so excited?"

"I wanna spend time with you, Mama," the boy told her. "Plus, it's not like we can walk there."

"You and I have walked to the park before, Wen."

"Yeah, I know. Metro's better."

Then it hit her.

"You just want to go ride the metro again, don't you?"

"…Yes."

Port of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America, 20 November 1928

"Well," Jaime Salazar sighed as he got down from the crane. "Good to be done with that."

When he thought about it, this was a pretty far cry from the port, only a decade ago.

Back then, he and the rest of the ILA workers here were unloading breakbulk cargo by hand and fighting to unionize.

Ten years, a few strikes, and at least one injured Pinkerton later, and he and the rest of his crew were making good pay and operating cranes to pull these containers off of ships then load them onto trains.

It was the best kind of arrangement. The bosses loved the increased efficiency, while the union workers enjoyed the lower-intensity work and not losing their jobs to automation after the retraining.

Jaime could still remember the day when the Chinese guys spoke to them in surprisingly-good English and started training them.

Sure, the fact that he was carrying tonnes of cargo in a container with only a few panes of glass between him and a hundred foot drop scared the living daylights out of him, but Jaime would take that over moving any more breakbulk cargo.

The pay and conditions were a hell of a lot better, but the fact he didn't have chronic knee pain at 35 was what really sold him on the whole modernization thing.

That, and the air conditioning.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1 December 1928

"I tell you," Leonard Haywood said to his brother, "If there's one thing I didn't really get about those Uptimers, it's how a lot of them don't like highways too much."

"Tell me about it," his brother Charlie chuckled. "And we're Black! You try telling a white person that bulldozing an entire neighborhood full of Black people to build a highway is racist, and the best-case scenario is they don't believe you."

"Well, to be fair, it wasn't always because of race. It's also because it's easier to bulldoze a poor guy's house."

"Lucky us. Honestly, I'm just happy this place is still standing right now, after what happened in that Lost History. Christ."

"Yeah, well, it's not like the Klan's the ones making us sit at the back of the bus these days, so we have that."

"You know they have buses for people like us, right? And not those piece of crap excuses they use for 'Separate But Equal.' Actual quality buses around the community."

"Nah, it's the principle of it all, Charlie. We can have all the money in the world, but folks'll still find a reason to think they're better than us. Just look at the Chinese."

"That's a funny one, Lenny," his brother sighed, "The strongest and richest nation in the world, and Bob Lee Ewell'll still find some excuse to think he's better than 'em."

"Not like Bob Lee Ewell has that much going for him. First, God sends an entire island full of Asians from the future back in time, then China becomes the world's most-powerful nation. And now there are churches popping up all over the place about how 'God's not going to discriminate in Heaven, so why should we discriminate on Earth?' What's a guy like him supposed to do?"

"Join the other church that says that the island full of Chinese people getting sent back in time is a 'Work of Satan' to send a bunch of 'Godless Sodomites' back to corrupt our people."

"Oh. Right."

"Yeah…"

"I like the first group, more."

"Most people do, Lenny."

"Thank God for that."

Bogota, Gran Colombia, 20 December 1928

Getting the point across was hard enough, but Juan Valdez had to do it for both the Panamanian and the Gran Colombian delegations now.

They both wanted to build roads and railways. To be fair, so did he, but at least he knew why it was a terrible idea.

"For the last time," he groaned, "Building railways and roadways in the Darien Gap is not viable."

"The concerns of the indigenous populations have been-"

"This isn't about them," Valdez interrupted, "The Darien Gap is not only mountainous and heavily-forested, but building a crossing there would likely lead to a transmission of foot-and-mouth disease in Central American cattle."

"So you're saying it's impractical to build in the Darien Gap," one of the Colombians asked, and Valdez nodded. "Would a bridge around it be more-practical?"

"If we had the funding, yes. But the 1929 budget released by both of your governments does not have enough for even a quarter of the cost. Not to mention that we lack the technological expertise."

What went without saying was that the Chinese probably did have the expertise, but the latter wasn't too-interested in that.

No, they were more-interested in expanding the canal.

"So," asked one of the Panamanians, "What is practical?"

"Honestly? Ferries."

The Gran Colombians looked at the Panamanians, who looked back at the Gran Colombians.

Eventually, the Minister of Transportation looked around and spoke for all of them.

"I suppose it could work. Do we have the budget for that?"

"We do," Valdez promised, before breathing a sigh of relief.

At least now they will stop bothering me about the Darien Gap.

Cape Town, Republic of South Africa, 7 January 1929

Thembo looked at the map in his office, and it made enough sense. "Cape to Cairo" wasn't a new concept, and at least this time it wouldn't be for colonial means. How could it, when the British, Portuguese, Germans, Italians, and Belgians were all gone.

Well, not all of them. "Reconciliation" had made sure that those who opposed colonialism (or at least wouldn't run off into the bush to bring it back like those Rhodesians) could stay. The promise of some guaranteed representation was also there, along with constitutional promises.

Not that it mattered too much when so many white people had fled. While he knew full well that the new Majority-Rule government wouldn't go and "Take Your Land and Lives" like the propaganda told the white South Africans would happen if the Accord arrived, the fact that the Accord had arrived and had announced an end to Minority Rule sent thousands into a panic as they fled to the coast and the bush.

The ones fleeing for the coast were easy enough to deal with. If his studies in Taipei were anything to go by, it was a bad idea to force people to stay in your country if they wanted to get out as quickly as possible.

Even if their concerns never happened. On a large-scale, anyways.

No, the main problem had been all the white people who ran inland, not for the coast. Rather than run for their lives aboard Red Cross ships, these types decided to create "Redoubts" and harass occupation forces on the frontier.

Which was how they ended up here, with a population that was motivated, but for lack of a better term, uneducated. Sure, your average South African wanted to "Bring Africa Forward," as the slogans went, but at the same time, most people just didn't have the skills or education to run a government.

There were those like his brother Gadla, who would be the next generation of administrators. And for the most part, they eagerly took to their studies.

But it would be almost a decade before they could enter the Civil Service, which meant people like him who did have the necessary skills and education would have to do the work of half a dozen men.

This was how he ended up in charge of the South African delegation for the "Pan-African Railway Project," as they called it. "Cape to Cairo" had a nice ring to it, but the colonial legacy was something they were trying to avoid whenever possible.

A new name to an old plan. Which, I have to admit, is a fairly good plan, even if it was basically designed to pillage Africa of its resources.

I guess that's what makes the difference. When they do it, it's imperialist, colonialist exploitation... mostly because it would be. When we do it, it's looking towards a brighter, cooperative, and prosperous future.

That is what happens when your massive infrastructure projects are designed around maintaining an empire for the next thousand years. Not doing that is benevolent by default.

But that was enough about the implications of the project, and Thembo knew it. So he put one file down and pulled up another titled, Survey Reports For The Pan-African Railway.

It seemed simple enough. The surveys showed that construction would be fairly-straightforward, with few (if any) tunnels and standard-gauge as the selected gauge. The Nanjing Accord would provide the materials, machines, and training in exchange for resource contracts for fixed periods.

Now, Thembo (thankfully) didn't have to handle resource extraction. That was some other poor highly-qualified-yet-overworked bureaucrat to deal with. All he knew was that there were resources in Africa that the Accord needed for their technology, and the Accord would pay good money for them.

Factor that in, along with the Airborne flying around and wiping out any "Holdouts," as the colonial loyalists were called, and construction would be fairly simple, with different segments being constructed simultaneously with the help of radio and GPS communications.

Security would have to be enhanced, but it was nothing the Defence Force and AFRICOM couldn't handle.

50 Kilometers outside Bulawayo, Provisional Republic of Zambia, 25 January 1929

"Equipment check," Lei whispered to his men. It was standard procedure at this point, and the joint force of Africans and Chinese knew to keep their gear in working order. So the hand signs were mostly a formality at this point. "Good."

It was a simple mission, one that they had rehearsed half a dozen times and completed half a dozen times that.

Somebody would get a tip. It didn't really matter how they got it, be it a drone operator, a spy, or a local who just saw something and called the local tip line. After that, they'd send a drone over the area to scout it out and confirm the tip. Most of them were just seeing things or false positives that still needed to be checked out.

In all likelihood, the Holdouts were repeatedly calling in useless tips to either flood the channels or set ambushes, but they still needed to be investigated. If anything, the attempted ambushes were the easiest, what with the Special Forces' technology advantage.

This would not be one of those nights. Instead, they'd be attacking a "Redoubt," as the settlements were called. To put it in layman's terms, they were communities of predominantly-white colonial troops who refused to recognize the new Majority-Rule government. Now, people were well-within their rights to settle on otherwise-unclaimed land as they pleased, and the white population was no exception to the rule.

The problem was that many of them were former colonial troops who had run off into the bush with their weapons, rather than surrender. This, plus the fact that they had launched several "Terror Raids" against the local governments and took potshots at construction crews meant that they had to be dealt with, sooner or later.

The governments of Angola, Mozambique, Zambia, Africa, Tanzania, Congo, Kenya, Namibia, and Uganda decided on "Sooner," rather than "Later," requesting support from the Nanjing Accord. Sure, they had their own Defense Forces, but these men simply didn't have the training to handle counter-insurgency warfare.

Well, at least they didn't, before units like Chinese Airborne Special Services Company (ASSC), the Korean Special Missions Group (SMG), the Japanese Special Forces Group (SFG), Russia's Spetsnaz, and Ottoman Maroon Berets were redeployed into the region to from Africa Command (AFRICOM). Their mission: To deal with these Holdouts and train their local counterparts.

The Africans were decent enough soldiers. What they lacked in training and equipment they made up for in morale, idealism, and knowledge of the local terrain, and the former two would be rectified in short order. They were no ASSC, but they could hold their own without AFRICOM holding their hands.

The Holdouts, for their part, were better talkers than they were fighters. While yes, they had assault rifles, grenades, and even a few rocket launchers, they were still outmanned, outgunned, and most importantly, unable to see in the dark.

That, of all things, had been the greatest advantage for AFRICOM. Sure, they were better-trained than the Holdouts, not to mention better-equipped. Assault rifles were all well and good, but it wasn't as if the European Alliance had that many optics or suppressors, let alone handheld radios and Night-Vision Goggles (NVGs).

No, the Special Forces owned the night, and they would strike fear in the hearts of the Holdouts wherever they went.

"Black Ghosts," was what the Holdouts would call them, though Lei doubted the Holdouts knew how fitting it was, given Pu Songling's work, Liaozhai zhiyi. Though in fairness, he didn't expect a bunch of racists camping out in the middle of nowhere in Africa to know about centuries-old Chinese literature that had never been published in English.

But that was enough ruminating on... well, everything else besides the mission at hand. They had a Redoubt to take down, and he'd rather they didn't have to call in an airstrike this time. Sure, they could do that, but the fact remained that these Redoubts also doubled as communities, with women and children living among the men.

Women and children who would shoot back at them, if given the chance.

He didn't like it. Former child soldier he may have been, he, unsurprisingly, didn't like the idea of shooting at children. Even if they were shooting back at him.

That was why they would do it this way, with suppressors, NVGs, and the cover of darkness on their side.

He gave the signal and his men started crawling their way forward as a drone flew silently overhead. It was unfair, but he'd take every advantage he could get to keep his men alive for the next mission. The fact that they (probably) would not have to deal with women and children shooting at them was an added bonus.

"Immortal 1-6," one of the snipers radioed in with a South-African accent. "Sentries at your 12. Fifty meters. Permission to engage."

"Interrogative: How many?"

"Two, Colonel."

"You're clear to engage," Lei growled into the mic. Sure enough, he could see two bodies in front of him collapse. "Sentries neutralized. Good shooting."

"Copy, 1-6. No visible threats on the way to the perimeter. 7-1 out."

"We're going through the front door?" Captain Zhou whispered to him, "That's a first."

"Who said anything about the front?" Lei muttered, before pulling out his pliers and moving towards the barbed wire fence. "We'll cut through here, then hit them from the side. Teams 2, 3, and 4 are in position, so we'll clear the Redoubt from all sides before meeting in the middle."

Zhou nodded. After all, this was what Lei trained them for, and this was what they trained the Zambians. If everything went according to plan, they'd go in slowly, just as they liked it.

After all, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Now that I think about it, the Holdouts are basically Rhodesians (and other colonial holdouts) armed with FN FALs.

And they're fighting against the best of the best of Asia's Special Forces led by definitely-not-Mao Zedong.

I swear I didn't plan this. That said... I'm rooting for definitely-not-Mao Zedong.

The "China Can" and New Names for Old Technology (Popular Science, March 1929)
The "Chinacan" and New Names for Old Technology
By Kim Mun-Hee
"Popular Science," March 1929

It is a simple design. A rectangular container of steel or polyethylene that can hold up to twenty liters of liquid.

Motorized infantry attach it to their trunks. Campers use it to carry water. Wholesalers use them to sell cooking oil in bulk.

That is what the chinacan does.

Like many designs from the future, the chinacan did not actually originate in China. It was in fact invented in Germany during the 1930s, during the buildup to the Second World War of the Lost History. Though the Germans and the Chinese had a tentative cooperative agreement at the time, it was in fact the Americans who introduced it to China.

American engineer Paul Pleiss was the first to introduce it to the United States. Although it is unverified, it is likely that the Americans' alliance with the Republic of China during the Second World War introduced the chinacan to the Chinese, who would use this design up until the Great Journey in early 2020 of the Lost History.

The chinacan would then see use during the Chinese Revolution, where its compact size and ease of manufacture helped supply the Revolutionaries with the fuel and water to rapidly overrun the Loyalists, Russians, and Japanese in quick succession.

It was this military victory, coupled with the formation of the Nanjing Accord between China, Korea, Japan, and Siam that led to the spread of the chinacan to the latter three allies, as well as the later allies in Russia, France, and the Ottoman Empire and trade partners such as Australia, the United States, and the rest of the Americas.

While the container had been referred to as the "jerrycan" by the English-speaking soldiers of the Chinese Foreign Legion, the limited use of English outside of international diplomacy limited the spread to the English-speaking populace of the Nanjing Accord.

The trade between China and the Americas, particularly the United States, Canada, and Mexico, is what led to the association of the futuristic container with the Chinese. Hence the name "China can," or "Chinacan," as it is called today. This trend would continue to the nations of the now-disbanded European Alliance, as the trade between Canada, Australia, and New Zealand and Great Britain would lead to the latter reverse-engineering the container while keeping the name.

While this is a funny story on its own, the name "chinacan" itself is a microcosm of how a future invention can be attributed to one country of origin while in fact originating in another.

Critics of the Republic of China would claim that the existence of the term "chinacan" proves that the Chinese's technological advantage consists of a sort of "Technological Stolen Valor" in an argument that China is "incapable of innovation" and in fact prefers to "steal from better, more intelligent men."

While this is not always the case, there is a significant overlap between this rhetoric and outright white supremacist claims that also ignore China's innovations in chip fabrication, computing, tunnel boring, aerospace, logistics, transportation, and nuclear engineering, just to name a few. In bringing up how the "chinacan" is in fact the "jerrycan" while ignoring China's other advancements, these people are trying to cherry-pick examples to create a narrative that depicts the Chinese and other non-white nations as intellectually-inferior to their white counterparts.

The spread of the term "chinacan" as opposed to "jerrycan" has less to do with the spread of technology and more to do with the spread of language or memes. And before you get excited, no, this does not refer to internet memes.

The spread of languages comes through interaction with and exposure to other languages, which can lead to the adoption of "loan words," phrases, or terms or the creation of new ones. In the case of the "chinacan," the trade between China and the rest of the world led to the creation of the term "chinacan" in the United States and Canada, which led to the spread to the rest of the British Empire before the Great War.

There is no "Technological Stolen Valor" here. It is a term that incorrectly associates the container with the Chinese instead of the Germans, since the people who came up with it were probably introduced to the container by the Chinese, one way or another.

It's a fun fact, a thing you can bring up at trivia night or parties to convince people you're smart and clever, not some grave injustice that needs to be rectified.

Because let's be honest: It's a twenty-liter container with built-in handles.

It's not exactly cutting-edge technology.

Last edited:
Informally, the "Chinacan" has become the basis of a popular schoolyard tongue-twister derived from the old woodchuck one:

"How many cans can a chinacan can if a chinacan can can cans?"

Yes In My Back Country
How China Housed Everybody, Future Today, YouTube (1929)

(Chinese music plays as the camera pans over Nanjing)

Narrator: "Let's say that you've won a revolution. Congratulations, you overthrew millennia of empire, defeated two more empires, and the world knows they shouldn't mess with you."

Narrator: "China is yours, along with its people… who are mostly peasant farmers. Hundreds of million peasant farmers."

(Record scratch, as the video stops)

Narrator: That's going to be a problem, isn't it? You're now in charge of about four hundred million people in a country where peasant farming is still the new normal, and famine is a regular enemy. So, what do you do?"

(Dramatic reveal music builds up)

Narrator: Introducing the newest innovation, straight from the future: Public Housing Blocks!

(Image of a large, multi-story public housing building that is being painted appears)

Narrator: Yeah… It's not as exciting as you'd think, but these buildings were a step up from anything before them.

Narrator: You have to remember that running water, heating, and air conditioning weren't exactly commonplace in Qing China, and the new Revolutionary government had to build a lot of housing. Fast.

Narrator: Inspired by Singapore's 20th-Century housing projects, the "Blocks," as they were called, were designed to be modular, affordable, and easy to build in large quantities all over China.

Narrator: The fact that the new government had nationalized vital resources and had a large manpower pool of construction workers definitely helped. In fact, many of the original workers would end up building their own residences.

(Transitions to next part: "Evaluation")

Narrator: As far as the Blocks are concerned, they did their job just fine. Of course, that job was "House millions of people flocking to the cities as quickly as possible," but in that regard, they passed with flying colors.

(Graph appears showing the rapidly-declining unhoused rate)

Narrator: Between the standard of living, walkable cities, and utilities that many had gone without for most of their lives, the Blocks were a step in the right direction. Especially when the government was the one footing the bill.

(Shows picture of the average Block apartment)

Narrator: On the other hand… when you're building lots of housing as fast as you can… Well, you get what you paid for. While yes, they had utilities, you have to remember that the Blocks are cramped, of questionable quality, and the quality of life was about that of the post-war Soviet Union.

(Fades into the new post-war apartments)

Narrator: It's better than nothing, but there's a reason people are flocking to the new, post-war public apartment complexes and renovations are happening all over the placd. Turns out having an actual manufacturing base, enough engineers, and construction equipment are all you need to build good-quality public housing.

Narrator: So, what will happen to all of these "Blocks?" There are two options.

(Screen shows a new construction site)

Narrator: Option 1 is that they are all replaced with new Blocks. We see this with the new Blocks that have more-modern amenities, similar to that of Taiwan.

(Screen shows a renovation project)

Narrator: Option 2 is renovating the old Blocks. While the buildings may be old designs, they're still insulated and connected to the utilities. Switch out the appliances and re-do the interiors, and you have an apartment that is, functionally, as good as new.

Narrator: You'll see both in China, these days. One side of the streets'll have a new Block being built, while another will have renovations going on at the same time.

(A building timelapse is shown for a new Block as it is built in a short period of time)

Narrator: Now that the war's over, China has the manpower and resources to bring the Mainland up to Taiwan's standards, and other countries in Asia and the Americas are following their example.

Excerpt from Health, Suburbs, and Public Transportation, by Dr. James Montgomery, Harvard University

Although the automobile does provide freedom, and the suburbs provide opportunity, the reliance on car-centric infrastructure will ultimately be detrimental to America's long-term health.

By building outwards, in more spread-out communities, the automobile will become less a means of liberation and more a chain that we all must buy, rather than walking or taking public transportation.

In doing so, Americans will be required to spend hours in a more-sedentary environment, leading to higher rates of obesity and a general increase in the population of overweight people.

If we build our cities around cars, we will be tethered to them, as we will be unable to walk to our destinations. Our inability to walk will make us unhealthier, forcing many otherwise-healthy people to drive.

It is a vicious cycle that will continue, again and again as more Americans become fatter and lazier.

This, of course, is only a secondary issue compared to the social isolation that may come with mass-automobile usage and the growth of suburbs.

Life in the city will have you interact with people by the sheer number around you, while life in the countryside will have you do so by necessity. In doing so, a sense of community is created by interacting with our neighbors and fellow citizens.

Such is not the case with the suburb and the automobile. As while the rural American may have to carpool and the city-dweller will interact with others during their commute, the preferred transportation of the suburbs, the automobile, allows a person to avoid interacting with their fellow Americans.

Moreover, the shear sprawl of the suburb allows a person to isolate themselves from the world in their home. Gone is the cooperation that is necessary among rural neighbors, and the suburbanite may shut themselves off from their community of fellow Americans.

Make no mistake: While the suburbs and automobile have the potential to bring America together, they are more than likely to divide us without us even noticing.

While I do see the potential in both, we must approach these inventions with deliberation and consideration for our nation's mental and physical health.

Now, and a hundred years into the future.

"Becoming overly-dependent on automobiles and suburbs will make future Americans fat and hate one another" is definitely a conclusion.

I'm not sure if I agree with that conclusion, but it's a conclusion people could reach when they see… whatever the hell they see from our future.

America is going to try to nip the obesity problem in the bud, and they're in "Throw everything at the wall" mode right now.

Last edited:
This is also around the time that Albert Lasker was inventing modern methods of advertising and was employed by the bacon industry to increase their sales. It might be fun to have Roosevelt's successor confronted with a report on modern methods of advertising from the Lost History to show how manipulative and out of hand sales-pushing can get so some 'guidelines' can be laid down in advance. For once, legislature can stay ahead of the curve…

Cam't seeth and cry when you don't exist yet.

General Motors has existed since 1909. They may not be the juggernaut they became after world war II, especially after finding themselves competing with Chinese manufacturers and having their main finance base gutted due to the war, but you can almost certainly bet there is a lot of scheming and plotting going on in smoky back rooms in Detroit, New York and DC.

Remember, the other 2/3 of the streetcar conspiracy were Standard Oil and Firestone.

As an aside, Los Angeles put together a proposal to turn the Pacific electric red cars into a real mass transit system with three subways... In 1927. IRL if it had not been for Southern Pacific (which owned PE) screwing the pooch with their bid for the Port of Los Angeles things would have looked a lot different there.

Makes you wonder if that may have turned out differently in this time line.

Last edited:
Remember, the other 2/3 of the streetcar conspiracy were Standard Oil and Firestone.
I'm pretty sure people are aware of this happening this time around. Factor in the general Progressive sentiment, and people will be wary of privatizing public goods.

That, and everyone is busy dealing with their own problems.

Standard Oil is getting beaten at their own game by the Turks and Russians working with Chinese equipment and expertise to flood the market with cheap oil and undercut Standard Oil and co.

Firestone has to compete with synthetic rubber undercutting them and automation out-producing them.

GM is fighting to keep their market share in the Americas, now that China, Japan, and Korea are all getting in on the automobile market.

Last edited:
Patents (No Longer) Pending
"Nanay," Maria Tsu asked her mother, "What's a patent?"

"Well," Laura said to her daughter, before looking at her husband. "Why don't you ask your father."

Emmanuel Tsu poked his head up. "What's up, Ria?"

"Patents, Tatay. What are they?"

"Okay, let's say I invent something," he said, before picking up one of his wife's tool. "Like this drill."

"Okay."

"Well I file a patent for it. That means I get first dibs on making, using, and selling drills like this, so nobody else can, without my permission."

"Okay… And what happens if people do that without your permission?"

"I can bring them to court and take their stuff, because that's illegal."

"Okay," the little girl said, before nodding her head slowly. "That makes sense."

"What's this all about, anyways, Ria? School project?"

"Opo. Our history project is to give a presentation on how the island from the future changed the present, and we chose to do it on medicine."

"Okay. How's it going?"

"We're just getting started."

"Alright. When's it due?"

"…Tomorrow?"

"Ria…"

"I did my parts, Dad. It's not my fault the rest of my team is lazy!"

"I'm not mad, sweetie," he promised. As with most times, he was quick to reassure her. "Okay, so what are you doing your report on, anyways? Advancements? Access?"

"Access," his daughter told him. "Which is why I asked about patents. Those are important, right?"

"Yeah, kinda," he figured. Sure, there was more to it, but Maria was his kid daughter, with an emphasis on the first word. "So you know how having a patent means only you can make or sell something?"

"Uh-huh."

"What happens when you're the only person who can make and sell something that a lot of people need so they don't die?"

"You could charge whatever you want?" Emmanuel nodded. "That doesn't seem right."

"Yeah, it isn't." He'd leave out the part where he thought that people who did that would burn in Hell. That was for when she was older. "But when you have something people want, and only you can make more of it, that means you can charge whatever you want until that changes."

"So how do patents fix this?"

"It's simple, Ria. They don't."

"Um… I don't get it, Tatay. You said patents can lead to all these bad things, then you say they don't fix them. And now you say that's a good thing?"

"It's a good thing when those patents no longer exist, Ria. Which is what happened when your mother and I went back in time with that island. Well, technically when the Chinese government moved them all to the Public Domain, anyways."

"Public Domain? How does that work?"

"Okay, so you know how the knowledge for all of those inventions got sent back in time, without the owners?" Ria nodded. "Well, the government didn't really know what to do with those patents, now that the owners all didn't exist, so they basically said anyone can make or sell those inventions."

"Okay… So how does that change things here? Doesn't China produce most of the world's medicine?"

"That it does. But you know what happens when anyone can make a product?"

"If the price goes up when only one person can make a product… Does that mean the price goes down when more people can make it?"

"Kinda. Well, you need to be able to make it in the first place, but basically yes."

"But aren't the Chinese factories the only places that can make them?" his daughter reiterated. "What does it matter if anyone can make something, if only one group of people can make it?"

"That's the other part, Ria," he said, switching to his "Teacher Voice," as his wife called it. "Sure, the lack of patents means that making medicine is a whole lot more accessible, but that's only the first part."

"What's the other part?"

"The political will to manufacture so much of it, then distribute it for free from Nanjing and their partners."

"Wait, they just give them out for free?" Emmanuel nodded. "I thought it was expensive."

"It is," he figured. He was no economist, but the costs were probably somewhere in the billions. "But there's one thing you can't buy."

"What's that?"

"Goodwill. And there's no better way to get goodwill than protecting people from deadly diseases for free."

"So that's why they do it?" Maria frowned. "So people will like them more?"

"I'm sure a lot of the people who support this think it's the right thing to do, anak. But this is a scenario where everyone wins. Millions of people are alive because of this medicine, and China gets to look like the good guys."

"I guess so," Maria relented. "So let me get this straight."

"Shoot."

"…"

"That means 'Go ahead.'"

"Oh. So, the reason modern medicine has advanced so fast is because an island got sent to the past, repealed almost all of its patents on medicine because the owners don't exist, and then they started making it and giving it out for free to everyone because it makes them look good?"

"Yeah, basically. Is that enough for your presentation?"

"I guess… It's really complicated, though."

"Yeah… it sounds kind of crazy once you start talking about how an entire island traveled back in time."

"…Isn't that the first thing that happened?"

"Hey, I never said it didn't sound crazy, Ria. I just said what happened after that."

So I wonder if Mafia and yakuza is still a thing here ? Since gangs could still be a thing in taiwan, who will want to become a shark in smaller pond ?

Last edited:
Chapter 66: Home Sweet Home
Outskirts of Kitwe, Zambian Federation, 4 February 1929

"Snipers are down," the African sniper said in English over the radio. There wasn't much else they could use, when half of them spoke Korean or Japanese. "Permission to engage the sentries?"

"Permission granted," Lieutenant Hayashi said to the soldier. He could see two figures through his goggles, only to watch them both drop. "Targets down. Move up."

The SFG squad crept forward, weapons at the ready as they approached the barracks.

"Two ahead."

"Hold." He'd be damned if they missed this far out. "Suzuki, Matsui, take aim and fire on my go."

Two lasers lined up against the Rhodesian holdouts, who were none the wiser.

"Next mission?" Hayashi heard one of the holdouts ask, "We're running low on weapons."

"We're running low on everything, Brom. Weapons, food, and even people at this point."

"Then you pick the damn fruit, Charlie" Brom grumbled. "Not like we have any blackies to do it, anymore."

"Another ran off?"

"Tried. Jenkins shot him dead for trying."

"Fuck's sake..."

"Fire," Hayashi whispered. Two bursts of sub-sonic ammunition knocked Brom and Charlie out. "Stack up on the door."

His men did just that, though Suzuki had to roll the second sentry's corpse out of the way to get the small camera in.

"Women and children in here, too," he muttered. "Shit."

Shit. Just what I needed...

Okay, we trained for this.

"Move in quietly, and try to take them by surprise. Check your shots. Matsui, take point."

"Hai," the point-man muttered, before slowly opening the door. "Breaching."

The commandos moved from bed to bed, detaining people one by one.

"On the floor," said one commando to a shocked young man.

"Quiet," said another, and a mother of three complied.

A quick sweep showed there were guns on the floor and in the cabinets, but those were thankfully out of arm's reach.

What kind of idiot sleeps with a loaded L1 rifle next to them?

Oh, right. Rhodesians.

"Room clear," Suzuki said over the radio, before zip-tieing one more civilian.

"Armory clear," Major Dojima told Hayashi over the same channel. "Moving to position outside the main house. How copy?"

"Copy," the Lieutenant sighed, before looking out the window and turning to his team. "Let's move."

It was a short walk to the main house, even if they were creeping forward. Then again, the corpses of Rhodesians laying in the dark were no threat outside of a tripping hazard.

"Team 2's work?" Suzuki whispered, before stepping over another body. "Looks like Ikeda was here."

"Looks like it," Hayashi figured, before the men got in range of the house. "Team 3, in position."

"Team 2, in position," Captain Ikeda announced. "At the back door."

"Team 1, in position," Major Dojima acknowledged. If everything was going according to plan, they'd be the ones going up the front. "Breaching."

"Move in," Hayashi told his men.

Slow. Steady. Meticulous.

All three of those words could describe the next minutes as his men cleared the ground floor, room by room. That, and the occasional muffled gunshot as would-be ambushers were perforated with precise fire.

Next came the second floor. Or at least it would have, if shots didn't ring out.

"Major's hit!" one of Team 1's men shouted, "Medic!"

"I'm fine," Dojima groaned. "Plate got it. Keep going."

Hayashi heard the loud bang as the men threw flashbangs up the stairs. Shots rang out, with the Rhodesians firing wildly and the commandos suppressed them.

"On me!" Hayashi ordered, before pushing forward past one of the dead holdouts. They looked like a woman, kitted out in fatigues with a rifle. "Hallway clear!"

Rifle fire broke out from his side, splintering the wall where he had just stood. Hayashi pulled back and ducked down to avoid the blindfire.

He needed to think fast. Now. So he prepped a flash grenade and stuffed it through the hole left by his ambusher.

A bang later, and he rushed in, gunning a teenage boy down before the latter could get a hold of himself.

"Room clear," he breathed, before kicking the rifle away from the kid. "Just the master bedroom left."

That was a job for the snake cam. He hadn't lost any men, and he didn't plan to.

Not tonight. Not this far in.

What he saw surprised him more than anything. More than the half-a-dozen ambushes or the slightly-older-than-children shooting at him.

Those were to be expected at this point.

It wasn't even how this redoubt's leader lay dead, on the floor, with a pool of blood around his head. He'd seen that a dozen times before, where these types would rather die than live in a world without their racial superiority.

What surprised him- No, what horrified Hayashi were the corpses of children next to him. There had to be half a dozen of them, the oldest no older than her early teens.

All dead from gunshots to the head. "Mercy Kills," Hayashi imagined, at least in the eyes of their killer, and all he could do was ask why.

He knew the answer, of course.

There was a slogan among these types of people: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for our children." In most cases, this meant ensuring a society where people like them reigned supreme, because these people saw equality among the races as tantamount to oppression.

It was insane, though that went without saying. Hayashi knew his history, and like many Japanese who had grown up in the aftermath of the Manchurian Intervention, he had been disabused of the notion of the Yamato Race in an effort to prevent the mistakes of the Intervention and the Lost History.

But these people? They had been radicalized and propagandized to believe that it was their purpose to see their people (whatever that may mean) reign supreme. In all likelihood, they saw it as a sacred obligation, if not an inevitable destiny.

When it became clear that they had failed in that "sacred obligation," and that "inevitable destiny" would not come, it was no surprise that a people so radicalized would rather die than live in a world without those two things, like so many of Hayashi's own people had done in the Lost History when the Japanese lost the war.

Office of the Dearborn Independent, Dearborn, Michigan, United States of America, 28 March 1929

"Hey, Hank?" David Pearson said to the editor, "You sure ya want to run this article?"

"What's wrong with 'Buy American,' Dave? It's patriotic, and America's more-patriotic than ever."

"Yeah, that's the thing. The problem is that it's going after Chinese vehicles. Let's be honest: It's going after Dodge."

"Dave," Hank sighed, "Our paper is owned by Henry Ford, and Dodge is his biggest competitor. Of course we're going to run the occasional hit piece on 'em when the boss says so."

"Yeah, that I get," he figured, "But do they really need to lay into the racism? Don't most people, you know, like the Chinese?"

"Ford's orders."

"Fuck's sake, Hank! You're going to print an article accusing Dodge of working with the Chinese to take over America? What is wrong with you?!"

The editor sighed. "I don't have a choice, Dave. Mr. Ford was insistent on something being written, and Micah agreed to write it."

"Of course it's Micah. What, did he run out of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to print?"

"Now Dave…"

"No, you listen here, Hank! I don't know what's gotten into you, but I'm going to walk out that door if you print that fucking article."

"…You know what?" Hank threw up his hands. "I'm not going to stop you, Dave."

"Really? You're going through with this?"

"The Hell else am I supposed to do, Dave? Unlike you, I have two kids and a wife at home. If Ford fires me, my family loses everything."

That, of all things, was enough to get Dave to relent.

"Right. Look, I've got a few contacts with the Free Press over in Detroit. Was planning on jumping ship there, anyways, and I can put in a good word for you."

"I'd appreciate that, Dave. Good luck."

"Yeah." As he said that, Dave began cleaning up his desk. "You too, Hank."

Harbin, Heilongjiang, Republic of China, 25 April 1929

"Interesting," Zacharias Rosenberg muttered, before turning the page. "Well that's just… something."

"Anything interesting?" asked his wife, Sara. "Or do you just say that for every article you read?"

"Well, every article about Henry Ford," Zacharias sighed. "I swear, that man hasn't changed one bit."

"What, does he blame us for all of his problems?" Sara asked, only for her husband to shake his head. "Then who does he blame?"

"Oh, he blames us… and the Chinese."

"Of course he does. Ever since the Dodge Brothers started selling Chinese vehicles, it's been 'Jews this,' and 'Chinese that.'"

"Some things never change," Zacharias sighed again. "The good news is that his readership's been going down as well."

"Obviously. Wait, aren't most of those Dodge vehicles assembled in America?"

"More or less. Which is why the attacks aren't working as well, Sara."

It went without saying that "The people who create good-paying jobs want to take over America" was a rather tepid accusation, but it was all Ford had at this point.

"Enough about Ford, Zacharias," his wife ordered, and the man relented. "Is there anything interesting besides that?"

"You mean, besides baseball?" Sara nodded. "Well, the Third Aliyah failed."

"Really? I would have thought people wanted to move to the Holy Land, what with all the oil jobs over there."

"That's the thing, Sara. Most of the oil jobs are in all the other vilayets, and that's before we talk about all of us who moved to China or America."

It was a simple enough reasoning, now that they thought about it. People moved to where the jobs were, and most of the opportunities were in America and China, not Israel.

Not to mention how the Sultan has been more-suspicious of zionists since learning about the Lost History.

Those two things, coupled with Europe still rebuilding, were why so many Jews had gone to China and America, much to Ben Gurion's annoyance.

It was a simple decision, now that he thought about it. Holy Land or not, most of the jobs there had to do with agriculture, while China and America offered a whole lot more to them.

That was why he was here, in Harbin as an accountant, instead of working on a farm in Israel.

Algiers, French Algeria, Republic of France, 4 May 1929

"So," Brodeur's colleague asked him at the cafe, "What exactly is there for us to do?"

"Between the hundred years of technology, hundreds of millions in manpower, and access to all the resources of the world?" Jean asked rhetorically. That was all they needed to address the dragon-sized elephant in the room. "No, I don't have an answer as to how we can compete with a country that can out-produce, out-build, and out-invent us."

"I don't suppose we could read theory to find an answer, could we?" That got a chuckled out of him, even if Jean had heard it hundreds of times at this point. "You know I don't mean that, Jean."

"Oh I know," the journalist-turned-correspondent laughed again. "If you did, I would've shot you by now, Christophe."

"And leave you all by yourself to come up with an answer?" Christophe asked wryly. "But that leaves us with our usual problem: How do we make the case for socialism when the biggest counterargument has all the money, technology, and resources in the world?"

"Parallel systems," Brodeur told him, but Christophe just stared. "We can't beat the capitalists at their own game, so we shouldn't try to."

"And give up? That doesn't sound like you, Jean."

"I'm not saying to give up. What I am saying is that if we can't convince people that our way is better because it will create more goods for them, we should try a different approach."

"I still don't follow."

"What is it that socialism has that capitalism does not? Dignity. Equity. Democracy. Efficiency."

Christophe nodded, so as to motion for Brodeur to continue.

"Capitalists may be able to provide the worker with more, but can they truly say that they are better than us? What good is being paid a fraction of the world's wealth when so much more is wasted? What good is a paycheck if it means you are abused, exploited, and lorded over by a petty tyrant of a boss?"

"I'm sure the Chinese would say that they have made several leaps and bounds in workers' rights, Jean."

"As they should. But if you ask me, I would rather work in a French factory with a union than a Chinese one without."

"A bold statement, Jean. Would you print it?"

"I would have to run it by my editor, first."

Montreal, Quebec, Provisional Republic of Canada, 4 July 1929

Out of all the things Pierre Delaporte had heard in his life, he never thought that he would hear chants of "U-S-A! U-S-A!" in his hometown.

Now, this could have happened for many reasons, such as how Montreal was primarily French-Canadian.

The second (and perhaps the most-obvious) had been the fact that Quebec had just voted for statehood.

This was absurd. He was happy about it, but it was absurd nonetheless.

It was a simple process, during which Congress passed their end of the legislation, and the various provinces passed their own to have a referendum.

After that was, well, a referendum itself. Most were binary options, with the choices being, "Remain in Canada" and "Join America." In all seven of these contests, the latter had won.

The same could be said of Newfoundland and Labrador, though the former would be replaced with "Join Canada." Not that it mattered, of course, when the latter had also won.

Quebec was different. As a francophone nation with a separatist movement, there were three options: Remain, Independence, and Join(-ing America).

Add in the introduction of Ranked-Choice Voting, and Quebec had turned into a testing ground for democracy that would see "Independence" winning a plurality in the first round and "Remain" being eliminated.

But as Pierre knew (because the local government had hammered it into his head at this point), the votes for "Remain" would be distributed to their second option, with the vast majority of those preferring to hitch their wagon to the Americans than go it alone.

Which was how they ended up here, with "Join" earning a narrow majority in the second round and crowds of otherwise-Francophone Quebecois chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A!"

To this, Pierre could only laugh and take another sip of his drink. It was absurd, insane, and somehow the best option in his eyes.

Quebec would be an American state. It would take some getting used to (and it definitely felt weird), but they would make it work.

A Taste of Abroad Imports, Brooklyn, New York, United States of America, 7 July 1929

"I'm telling ya, Ralph," Alphonse said to his brother, "We want to run this business by the books, so we don't have the Feds knocking on our doors."

"Easy, Al," said his older brother. "Everything's above board."

"Then where the Hell's the five grand for the Japan import?! I had Ermina look it over, and she noticed a five-grand hole that should be for the saké sale from last week?"

"Fuck's sake," Ralph muttered, but it was right there in the books. "Check must've bounced."

"Of course it did," Al grumbled, before looking at the numbers. "You cashed it, right?"

"Course I did. How was I supposed to know the check'd bounce?"

"He has a point," their older brother Jimmy pointed out. "They'd always gone through before this."

"So what do we do, then? Because I'm down five grand, and we have a shipment coming in next week from France. The Hell am I supposed to pay them with?"

"I'll run by the bank," Ralph offered. "Then I'll pay a visit to the folks who stiffed us."

"Keep it by-the-book," Jimmy warned, "Last thing I need is one of you running out and gunnin' down someone."

"Really?" Al looked at his brother. "You're going there?"

"Seeing that I'm your lawyer and legal advisor… Yes. The last thing we need is the NYPD cracking down on us because one of you decided to get too hot-headed."

"So what would you have us do, then? Ask 'em nicely? Maybe we can beat them with that stuck up your ass when that doesn't work."

"We have the agreement, Al," the eldest Capone said. "Signed and everything. They try to weasel their way out of this, and I can throw half the damn book at them."

"And that's why you're my lawyer," Al chuckled, before looking at the rest of his family. Besides the usual mainstays of himself, Jimmy, Ermina, and Ralph, Frank Capone was in the warehouse, overseeing some shipment that came in.

Business was good, and the Capone family was making money hand-over-fist on imports.

And the best part of it all? Everything was above-board and by the books this time around.

His parents had made sure of that once they'd learned what their boys would become in the "Lost History," as his teachers had called it.

Christ. Al could still remember the night his parents sat them all down. He could remember his mother getting on her knees and practically begging her boys to stay out of trouble.

Sure, he thought it was all bullshit at first, but the sheer sincerity in her tear-filled eyes was enough to get them all to listen to reason.

Besides, it wasn't like he couldn't make good money selling alcohol. And with Prohibition being lost to the sea of time, the best part was that everything he'd done was absolutely legal.

Well, that, and the fact that his brother wasn't dead from a shootout with the cops.

Al Capone planned to stay in business as a free man for as long as he lived.

And if taxes were the price he had to pay for that, then so be it.

Last edited:
Back