woow... those guys are idiots.

More along the lines of a bunch of self styled Ubermensches

It may as well be remembered that plenty of parahumans were ordinary people before this.

Having so much power and the only way of losing being losing to another higher power can do that.

Also with one of them being a possible Gilgamesh Expy I wonder how he'll take things seeing as unlike Gilgamesh it's most likely he was NOT born with so much power and potential.

Even if they were to lose in the end I suspect they'll prove a challenge or make victory "not worth it" just like The Joker

So could we use our luck manipulation to have these villain suffer a bad case of betrayal, where there government or orginization betrays them? Makes easier to get them if they are the government.

Hated the Gilgamesh expy. It's completely out of place. Compared to Avatar's collegues from previous world, this is just... lazy.

It soured this for me a little. Partly because I hate Nasuverse and partly because he really has no place being here. On the odd side I know that I would be fine with throne if he either looked different, or had a different power. Changing one thing about him to make him less of an expy would be enough to make him fit better. Without the look I wouldn't make the connetion when the power was revealed. If the power was revealed first but he didn't look golden at all, then I would've been fine with that too. As it is, it just makes me recoil in disgust, because I hate Gilgamesh wank so much. I know there's no wank here, but his mere presence brings up bad memories.

Oh great a bunch of smart idiots come together to face us.

Why do people want us to come kick their asses so badly?

Don't they understand we'd have taken our time?

We just fucking soloed the fastest Endbringer and the precog endbringer.

Hell Ziz got the fucking drop on us and hit us with an antimatter cannon.

They seriously want to do this shit?

sigh

We should be the on the lookout if only so that we can be able to protect the civilians once these numbnuts start making their move.

Hated the Gilgamesh expy. It's completely out of place. Compared to Avatar's collegues from previous world, this is just... lazy.

It soured this for me a little. Partly because I hate Nasuverse and partly because he really has no place being here. On the odd side I know that I would be fine with throne if he either looked different, or had a different power. Changing one thing about him to make him less of an expy would be enough to make him fit better. Without the look I wouldn't make the connetion when the power was revealed. If the power was revealed first but he didn't look golden at all, then I would've been fine with that too. As it is, it just makes me recoil in disgust, because I hate Gilgamesh wank so much. I know there's no wank here, but his mere presence brings up bad memories.

To be honest, I agree.
Gilgamesh of Nasuverse is a monster whose fans conveniently ignore all the nasty shit he's been doing. I hate that arrogant and disdainful personality of his, and reading about him reminds me of the overabundance of Gilgamesh-focused fanfucs on FFn.
Most of them are horrible and so full of wanking...
Traumatic memories, those.
I wouldn't have minded Throne looking like Gilgamesh and possessing the power he currently does(though I will call bullshit if he starts pulling Enkidu and Ea expies), but that personality ruins the character for me.
To be honest, I would have loved to see him being the opposite of Gilgamesh. Calm, patient, humble(for a warlord supervillain) and fully aware - and accepting - of the fact that there are people and things far greater than him.
That would have been a very nice twist.

Oh, hey, that guy has red eyes, golden hair, likes gold and uses swords with superpowers. Hello, Gilgame--
Wait a second. That guy doesn't act like Gilgamesh at all! Was I mistaken?!
*Starts searching Google*
Who are you, damn it?!

Last edited:
People saying they're idiots are kind of missing the point. These people are highly successful warlords who are fully aware that they can't beat the Avatar alone. What are they supposed to do then, retire? No, they'll do their very best to beat him together. Sure, it's not highly likely to succeed, but separately they're guaranteed to fail.

Sure, the Avatar can probably beat them whenever he gets around to it, but that's no excuse to just lay down and wait.

Very interesting. Speaking of... Swarm should count as a legitimate government - I am not sure Avatar would do anything against her (unless he's in business of leading coups). Storm Tiger... Arguable. If he has actual population support in his civil war, his side might have legitimacy. Koroleva is an oligarch, but that's not a crime in itself.

It's all a matter of politics at this scale. I would say that Cognito is the one in most danger of Avatar, while some of those at the table, including very possibly Throne, are, or should be, safe from him. Well, safe-ish. I can see some betrayals happening.

Which would explain why he arranged this meeting to make sure the Avatar winds up fighting them all, not just him

I agree that these villains break the tone of the setting. They are much too...grand. They sound like people who came from the Avatar's world rather than people who grew up in Worm. Wildbow did an excellent job of making his parahumans seem and sound like relatively normal people who suddenly could shoot laser beams, fly, or resist bullets. It showed that even its most powerful heroes and thinkers were still awkward, fallible, and vulnerable to being blindsided by any given parahuman's power behind their mask.

These villains are comic book characters, through and through.

I agree that these villains break the tone of the setting. They are much too...grand. They sound like people who came from the Avatar's world rather than people who grew up in Worm. Wildbow did an excellent job of making his parahumans seem and sound like relatively normal people who suddenly could shoot laser beams, fly, or resist bullets. It showed that even its most powerful heroes and thinkers were still awkward, fallible, and vulnerable to being blindsided by any given parahuman's power behind their mask.

EXACTLY. That was exactly what I was trying to say on the previous page and couldn't come up with the words for. I was not a fan of this update, for exactly this reason - we came to this thread for Worm plus ONE comic book character, the OCP MC, not an arbitrarily large number who happen to all live outside PRT territory. New OCs should not be larger-than-life - otherwise we'd read DC/Champions/whatever fanfics rather than Worm fanfics.

Really this just hits against the limit of endgame of canon.
No matter who they were, in the end they lost and lost hard.
For all they can talk about "we shall find our own way to kill an endbringer!" we know that in the best possible future precogs could see they still either were totally wiped by them or were wrecked another way along with their empires, because in the best future precogs could see humanity and human civilization lost without so much as crippling a single one.

So could we use our luck manipulation to have these villain suffer a bad case of betrayal, where there government or orginization betrays them? Makes easier to get them if they are the government.
Sorry, no. That's completely beyond the scope of your power. It's for manipulating fight scenes and immediate events, not long-term events.

Did anyone else got fate/zero vibes from this?
Heh. I might have had that show on my mind recently.

To be honest, I agree.
Gilgamesh of Nasuverse is a monster whose fans conveniently ignore all the nasty shit he's been doing. I hate that arrogant and disdainful personality of his, and reading about him reminds me of the overabundance of Gilgamesh-focused fanfucs on FFn.
Most of them are horrible and so full of wanking...
Traumatic memories, those.
Well, if it reassures you, I didn't exactly bring a Gilgamesh (and to a lesser extent, Iskander) expies into this to sing their praise. Throne and Storm Rider are crazy, insane villains.

People saying they're idiots are kind of missing the point. These people are highly successful warlords who are fully aware that they can't beat the Avatar alone. What are they supposed to do then, retire? No, they'll do their very best to beat him together. Sure, it's not highly likely to succeed, but separately they're guaranteed to fail.

Sure, the Avatar can probably beat them whenever he gets around to it, but that's no excuse to just lay down and wait.
Pretty much. With the possible exception of Throne, these guys know the Avatar is outside their league. But they're too proud to accept the idea that he (or anyone) can put his foot down and tell them to play nice. So, what can they do? Join forces and try to figure out a way to bring him down.

Hm. Fair cop.
But on the other hand, it's not like canon Worm doesn't have its share of extremely dangerous people. Warlord!Skitter, Moord Nag, Jack Slash, Alexandria, Teacher, String Theory, any number of the parahuman warlords we are told are taking over third world countries, Blue Empress...
The world, even one as damaged as damaged as Earth-Bet, is vast. There are tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands?) of parahumans we never met in canon. I figured out of a large number of successful warlords, a handful who were both megalomaniacs and highly competent wasn't too far out. Our world has had its Alexander the Great, its Julius Cesar, its Louis the XIV, its Napoleon, its Cao Cao - clever individuals driven by a lust for power and an endless well of arrogance. Throw in superpowers, the warlord-friendly chaos of Earth-Bet, and maybe some degree of shards messing with brains, and, well...

Hm. Fair cop.
But on the other hand, it's not like canon Worm doesn't have its share of extremely dangerous people. Warlord!Skitter, Moord Nag, Jack Slash, Alexandria, Teacher, String Theory, any number of the parahuman warlords we are told are taking over third world countries, Blue Empress...
The world, even one as damaged as damaged as Earth-Bet, is vast. There are tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands?) of parahumans we never met in canon. I figured out of a large number of successful warlords, a handful who were both megalomaniacs and highly competent wasn't too far out. Our world has had its Alexander the Great, its Julius Cesar, its Louis the XIV, its Napoleon, its Cao Cao - clever individuals driven by a lust for power and an endless well of arrogance. Throw in superpowers, the warlord-friendly chaos of Earth-Bet, and maybe some degree of shards messing with brains, and, well...
The problem is not that they are dangerous, it's that they have more pathos. They are stylisticaly alien to Worm.

In my case the issue is more of Glaistig Uaine's power showing up elsewhere. So many unique powers out there, why repeat.
Because Sun Tzu wanted Gilgamesh, and Servant!Gilgamesh would be able to utterly destroy everyone and anything. Hell, according to interpretation, Ea can destroy either the world or the universe. Without Ea, he'd still be able to murderize everything and everyone, but probably not the Avatar.

Because Sun Tzu wanted Gilgamesh, and Servant!Gilgamesh would be able to utterly destroy everyone and anything. Hell, according to interpretation, Ea can destroy either the world or the universe. Without Ea, he'd still be able to murderize everything and everyone, but probably not the Avatar.

Heh.
Just had a funny thought.
If Gilgamesh were to appear and somehow get enough Prana to remain anchored indefinitely, the Avatar would never die.
Why?
Because Gilgamesh is a Heroic Spirit. A weak copy of one given a physical body, but a Heroic Spirit nonetheless.
The Avatar is the embodiment of Heroism.
Gilgamesh is the King of Heroes.
Ergo, so long as Gilgamesh lives, the Avatar will keep coming back regardless of how many times he is killed.

Heh.
Just had a funny thought.
If Gilgamesh were to appear and somehow get enough Prana to remain anchored indefinitely, the Avatar would never die.
Why?
Because Gilgamesh is a Heroic Spirit. A weak copy of one given a physical body, but a Heroic Spirit nonetheless.
The Avatar is the embodiment of Heroism.
Gilgamesh is the King of Heroes.
Ergo, so long as Gilgamesh lives, the Avatar will keep coming back regardless of how many times he is killed.
Faulty logic. The word "hero" in those cases is used in radically different senses.

Faulty logic. The word "hero" in those cases is used in radically different senses.

We know the Avatar embodies the concept of Heroism.
As in, 'Noble, good, justice, kindness, bravery, selflesness' Heroism.
But is that the ONLY definition of Heroism that he embodies?
What if he embodies Heroism in its ENTIRETY?
"Heroism" of Old and "Heroism" of Today is still "Heroism", just seen from the perspectives of different cultures.

Last edited:
Agreed that unlike the previous villain OCs, the tone/personality/voice of these characters is grandiose/campy to the point of being somewhat incongruous to the setting. I don't particularly mind, but there it is.

Agreed that unlike the previous villain OCs, the tone/personality/voice of these characters is grandiose/campy to the point of being somewhat incongruous to the setting. I don't particularly mind, but there it is.
I kinda disagree- it's certainly nothing we've seen in Worm, but we also haven't seen much of Worm. We've really only heard one supervillain outside of Taylor talk, and that was Lung in Cauldron's tomb. He was pretty grandiose then, and he certainly enjoyed the sound of his own voice, lecturing Taylor as she was bleeding out from her arm.

These villains wouldn't fit in Brockton Bay, but the world's a big place.

We know the Avatar embodies the concept of Heroism.
As in, 'Noble, good, justice, kindness, bravery, selflesness' Heroism.
But is that the ONLY definition of Heroism that he embodies?
There are reasons to think that he doesn't:
You are known to the people of your world as the Avatar - the first and most powerful superhero, protecting the innocent and fighting the good fight since the 1920s. It is often asked what you are supposed to be an avatar of; only a select few know you as the earthly incarnation of Adeltom, God of Heroism.
His eyes surveyed the audience, and Taylor felt like he was looking right at her. "You had an early warning, and you all came here. You came to stand in the path of a monster straight out of mankind's primal nightmares, knowing full well that it was likely to kill you, knowing full well that it had never been truly defeated before. Faced with such bleak odds, you showed selfless courage. And what is heroism, if not courage married to nobility?

"I have seen too many displays of heroism today to count them as they deserve. I have seen it in those who fought Leviathan head-on. I have seen it in those who provided support and defense for them. I have seen it in those who rescued and healed their comrades. I have seen it in those who protected the civilians. I have seen it in the civilians who maintained their calm and kept others from panicking in the shelters. I have seen it in the powered and the unpowered alike.

"There is, in every sapient soul, a spark of glory. Male or female, black or white, organic or cybernetic, earthling or alien, any mind capable of conscious choice can choose to be great. To help, rather than to hinder. To acknowledge fear, and refuse to be its slave. To admit your flaws with humility, and work past them to the best of your ability. To stand up against injustice in all its forms. To choose the right and good over the convenient and easy. To treat everyone with the respect and generosity we wish were afforded to us. To give aid and kindness, not because you expect reciprocation, but because it is a better way to live, a better person to be.

"That spark of glory is in everyone, in all of you. Sometimes, you lose sight of it. Sometimes, you feel that it is out of reach. Circumstances place you in what feels like a lose-lose scenario, where doing the right thing looks like a losing proposition. At times, it's terrifyingly clouded what the right thing to do even is. Yet even in the murkiest of circumstances, it is always worth it to strive toward the most heroic self you can be. Even at the world's darkest, you are not truly alone; there are millions who would gladly reach out to you, help you ignite the spark within. I, for one, can think of few greater honors than standing by the side of someone trying to be better, even as the weight of the world seems determined to drag them down and extinguish their spark.

"Today, I have seen you all reaching for the spark within, and I salute you for it. I have known your world for mere hours, and already I love it - because, in the face of bleakness and horror, your world answers with that heroic marriage of courage and nobility. And because of that, I feel confidence as I make you a promise.

"I promise you this: It will get better. Yesterday, as I understand it, your world lived under the terror of three Endbringers. Today, two remain and a city lives. Tomorrow, with the spark of heroism within everyone, we will build an even better world! With the glory within everyone, powered and unpowered, rich and poor, saint and sinner, we will fight back the darkness and return hope to the world!"

He smiled at them all and concluded: "I don't know much about your world yet, but I know this much: I know that I want to serve it with the same kind of heroism I saw its natives displaying today."
Alexandria turned to face Contessa. "Can you see a path to killing him?"

"Yes," the Mediterranean woman answered. "It would not be easy, but I could do it."

Alexandria nodded. "A path to bringing him into the Protectorate?"

"I can see that path."

"A path to making him go villain?"

Contessa blinked. "...I don't see a path for that," she admitted, visibly surprised.
Shadow Stalker. You have been informed - after signing a nondisclosure agreement - that like you, her position here is probationary. Unlike you, that's because she came uncomfortably close to killing criminals as a vigilante, and was offered this position as an alternative to prison. You're not entirely sold on the idea - oh, you're all for turning villains into heroes, but you're not sure taking a violent vigilante and putting her right back into violent situations is the best approach. For that matter, this approach seems to ignore the need to give justice for her victims. But on the other hand… the PRT seems desperate for manpower. That it would make this sort of compromise is regrettable, but entirely understandable given the situation. You imagine that if supervillains outnumbered heroes three to one in your world, you'd be willing to make more compromises to some on your side as well.

The Avatar is the god of Heroism in the more modern sense of the word.
That said, as much of an asshole as Gilgamesh is, even he has some spark of said heroism in the deep recesses of his ego-bloated soul. So, yeah, his presence would be sufficient to keep the Avatar alive if they were on the same world.

The problem is not that they are dangerous, it's that they have more pathos. They are stylisticaly alien to Worm.

That's a valid criticism.
I'm not entirely sure if I agree, though. Canon Worm had Lung and his immense pride. It had Coil, who's basically a municipal-scale James Bond villain. It had Kaiser, who also plays the whole ubermensch supervillain thing. It had Jack Slash, who definitely goes for larger-than-life.
So... I don't think a character like Cognito existing, or his being able to find five like-minded warlords by searching all over the world (rather than restricting himself to one city), is that out-of-genre for Earth Bet.

Africa is said to be descending into Parahuman warlordism.

India's capes are separated into two types. Europe has stuff like the Gesherllanacht or however that group that's helping the E88 is called. Russia's situation is also kind of crazy.

Remember the U.S. is honestly one of the most stable parts of the world. Shit's a lot worse in other parts of the world.

Back