So here are some questions for winning the war against Victoria.
1) If we win, how do we handle the country in the aftermath? Being unable to or unwilling to sufficiently pacify a defeated enemy is how you end up with the rise of groups like the Klan or Nazis.
2) What will the Czars reaction be? When he learns that his main puppet in North America is gone, whats to stop him from going Red Dawn on us?

1) If we win, how do we handle the country in the aftermath? Being unable to or unwilling to sufficiently pacify a defeated enemy is how you end up with the rise of groups like the Klan or Nazis.
I mean, we're not likely to allow Victorian-aligned factions to maintain, let alone gain political power, so that's the Klan equivalent gone, and given our plans to rebuild the United States, barring utter catastrophe with those efforts the Nazish sort of rhetoric isn't likely to supplant our populace's moral sentiments.
2) What will the Czars reaction be? When he learns that his main puppet in North America is gone, whats to stop him from going Red Dawn on us?
The whole premise the quest is founded on is that now is the time when Russia quite simply cannot intervene on Victoria's behalf or in vengeance to it, they have too many enemies far closer to home becoming strong enough to meaningfully oppose them again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree.

I would argue that you underestimate the ability of a society to distinguish between oppressors and protectors. Overlords and servants.
Given the creator of this universe's ideas about urban law enforcement, and the Victorian ideas about the outfitting of allied militias, I doubt any Commonwealth police department would count as heavily armed in the eyes of the populace anyway.

They're not carrying RPGs and 50 cals after all (yes, Mr Lind recommended we give city police RPGs. Really.).

I mean, this is the same society where the Unionists got the whole anti-immigration thing past Congress in a popular vote despite the opposition of much of the ruling party's leadership. I don't really think we are looking at a society where unarmed police will get any sort of traction. People will suggest it, mind, but I don't think it'll pass.

Limited arms, yes, with no longarms or heavy weapons in play for patrol officers. Unarmed no.

Especially given as there is a significant proliferation of arms among the civilian population and no particular licensing or possession requirements for even heavy weapons, let alone small arms.
And there is an explicitly unarmed department of community/social workers in play anyway.

Linds belief that the police need RPGs was always stupid and I want to explain why
1) The police don't need them to handle most issues such as purse snatchers or drunk drivers.
2) The RPGs are inevitably going to be abused, or mishandled such as being left out in the open.
3) Actual criminals now have a primo target for heavy ordinance that they could buy off corrupt cops or steal outright.

Linds belief that the police need RPGs was always stupid and I want to explain why
1) The police don't need them to handle most issues such as purse snatchers or drunk drivers.
2) The RPGs are inevitably going to be abused, or mishandled such as being left out in the open.
3) Actual criminals now have a primo target for heavy ordinance that they could buy off corrupt cops or steal outright.
William Lind is a Moron with dumb Ideas. News at Eleven.

Well. Well. Well.
Fuck me.
Some of my fellow travelers here want to kill her with extreme prejudice. And I see their point.
But.
A certain vindictive part of me would more relish turning her into an anti-imperialist and destroy her father's work. Probably impossible but a one can dream.
Let's first see what she wants and then start working out a strategy.

So I'm at the Victorian civil war and I've got to say that was easier than I thought, because going in I assumed things would be a lot more drawn out. I guess the Victorian Confederation is as much of a house of cards as it's perceived enemies

So I'm at the Victorian civil war and I've got to say that was easier than I thought, because going in I assumed things would be a lot more drawn out. I guess the Victorian Confederation is as much of a house of cards as it's perceived enemies
I mean, the fact that the Victorians are having a civil war doesn't mean that the conflict is over and we've won. Everyone is proceeding on the assumption that one side or the other will win the war (Gideon Damned Blackwell being the contender most of us expect to triumph), and that Victoria will reconsolidate as as a Russian puppet rebuilding from the war.

Of course, we managed to do a lot of extra damage and extract concessions thanks to the civil war, so it was definitely a huge unexpected bonus for us.

I mean, the fact that the Victorians are having a civil war doesn't mean that the conflict is over and we've won. Everyone is proceeding on the assumption that one side or the other will win the war (Gideon Damned Blackwell being the contender most of us expect to triumph), and that Victoria will reconsolidate as as a Russian puppet rebuilding from the war.

Of course, we managed to do a lot of extra damage and extract concessions thanks to the civil war, so it was definitely a huge unexpected bonus for us.
I mean I could've bought into the idea that this unstoppable tide of violence suddenly becoming unstable because it can't take defeat very well

I mean I could've bought into the idea that this unstoppable tide of violence suddenly becoming unstable because it can't take defeat very well
Nah, that totally happened. I mean, it says right there on the name of the country. They're VICTORIA, not DEFEATIA. Got no fucking clue what to do when they lose.

Also the part where they've made their fascist secret police organization (the CMC) so powerful that the country is now in what amounts to a civil war between the two halves of the CMC, with one side using "the rest of the country" as a proxy in that internal conflict.

I'm just saying, I don't think this is over.

Stop: THERE'S A BANNER
there's a banner
The QM has long established a policy of keeping RL politics and current events away from this thread. There's a big banner stickied at the top, too.
As such, for going off on derails about the CHOP and fascism, AKuz and Simon Jester are being given 1 week threadbans. ScottishMongol is getting a 3 day threadban. Do not derail into debates about fascism or current political events. They annoy the QM, and we keep their thread clear as they request.

Whenyouseeyou, for separate posts involving marginal terminology of the disabled and uncomfortable insistence on seeing Rumsford's family punished, you're getting a 4 day threadban.

Everyone play nice and do not annoy the QM.

Last edited:
This is a little late, so my apologies.
Militia armament isn't standardized. The level of armament is specifically up to the local community to determine.
And the *ideal* is that militia shouldn't be using firearms in their day to day interactions with their communities. Not "I guess I'll die"
*shrug*
If you say so. I can accept that's the ideal that is espoused , while wondering how well it would actually work in practice.

This recalls something I've heard said about the Middle East. In these societies, long arms are actually viewed as relatively innocent to possess, because they are tools that you'd use to defend your community against armed attacks by organized outsiders. But pistols are viewed as sinister and dangerous weapons, the tools of criminals or of secret policemen.

So giving your police sidearms isn't necessarily going to make them LESS suspect in a society that's undergone decades of semi-anarchic warlordism punctuated by terror whenever a Victorian division passes through.

They may be actively less suspicious if they are carrying, say, hunting rifles, which are present in large numbers on the civilian market and which are still quite useful for self-defense without being ideal weapons to stage a massacre or to brutally murder people in their own homes.
I can't speak for the Middle East of course; I have no personal knowledge, and my academic knowledge is strictly dilettante-level.
But I do have personal experience of significant areas of southern Nigeria, and there the police are either carrying truncheons or carrying AKs. Sidearms are not really a thing, and more likely to be illicit weapons.

Nevertheless, the Nigerian civilian population considers a gun is a gun is a gun. No societal associations one way or the other.
Whether the sociocultural situation in post-Collapse America will be more like the Middle East you describe than the Nigeria I experienced remains to be seen. Could go either way.

I don't really expect hunting rifles to be a separate thing in post-Collapse America though.

The disposable income to afford hunting rifles separate from home defense weapons isn't there, and the sheer density of pre-Collapse home defense firearms, coupled with the small arms arsenals of the various US Army and National Guard arms depots that would be released into gen pop means that even forty years later, the market will be flooded with infantry weapons.

Thats one of the reasons I suspect the Vics would not actually bother gunsmiths in post-Collapse America by the way, which would largely be a futile enterprise. Keeping an eye on ammunition makers? Much more feasible to track the bulk chemical supplies necessary to produce good ammo than attempting to track gun production and sales among a non-cooperative population.

Personally, I read that as the, "what I want you to do," expectation, rather than the, "I actually predict that this will be the case," expectation, and canonized with that in mind. Predicting that no armed peace officer in this time and place will ever fire their weapon would be ridiculous, but making clear that they are not supposed to unless the situation has already become violent, I can see.
I guess I was thinking of things in the sociopolitical situation where, not too long ago, the Unionists were able to stir up enough fear of the Other/outside infiltrators/internal enemy that they had the popular support to get a bill through Congress that prevented refugees from becoming citizens with the legal rights of citizens, even refugees willing to join the military.

This in a new state where anywhere from 10 to 20% are refugees immigrants.
I couldn't but look at something like that and consider how the ripple effects would manifest internally inside the Commonwealth, even with the larger federal government's official policy being rather firmly against police militarization. Especially with the assassin loose.

An Inconvenient Honest Man, Part 3
These have been uniformly excellent. Well done.
Looking forward to more chapters in our intrepid friend's life.

NETFIRES
Because I haven't posted a realworld weapon system in the thread in several months, and I should probably remedy that.
This is the XM501 NLOS-LS anti-vehicle/anti-armor weapon system, formerly known as NETFIRES

Launches two types of missile:
  • Precision Attack Missile bunkerbuster/heavy armor killer with a weight of around 50kg, rocket motor propulsion, near-Mach speed and range of 40km,
  • Loitering Attack Missile loitering munition/anti-light vehicle missile with a weight of around 50kg, turbojet propulsion, a range of 70km-200km, and a loitering time of up to 30 minutes.
Both munitions were multi-mode seeker equipped and networked, with GPS-INS/Imaging IR/Semi-active laser guided modes.

Originally a DARPA program in 1998, control passed to the US Army in the 2000s, with the USN keeping an interested eye on it. Successful flight tests started in 2002. Cancelled by the US Army in 2010 after one run of bad tests, fucking the USN LCS program which was banking on that missile program as anti-small boat munitions.

The Israelis subsequently built a version called the IAI JUMPER.

Each container launch unit or CLU comprised of a 4x4 block of cells with fifteen missiles and a sixteenth cell that contained control electronics.
A CLU is about 2m high, weighs about 1.5 metric tons loaded, and fits in the back of a stretch HMMV or pickup.
You can stack 3 of them in the truck bed of a standard six-wheeler truck, or just put one on the ground in the bush, or in a forward operating base.

Concept of operations was to launch these things into an area where known enemy vehicle concentrations were verified by UAV or forward observer , and allow them to autonomously pick their targets and network so as not to all hit the same target. With known enemy vehicle designs programmed into the memory-recognition algorithms of the seekers so they can, for example, pick out and attack a T-72 by its IR signature.

Datalink and semi-active laser seekers were included to allow the local commander to designate particular priority targets at need instead of just allowing the missiles to pick their own.
Sorta the "fuck that guy in particular" option instead of the "to whom it may concern" fire and forget mode enabled by autonomous imaging IR.

By 2076 this weapon system will be old enough to be collecting Social Security.
But it also fits quite well with the canonized fondness of Commonwealth military procurement for technicals, and weapon systems that can fit on technicals and similar light vehicles. And boats/ships.

Plus, a couple plane flights would deliver enough launch units to pose an existential threat to an armored division.
Which is the sort of disruptive equalizer worth considering given the weight of heavy metal that the Russian Imperium can supply and equip it's Victorian clients with; if they don't end up with Cold War Syria numbers of tanks as a minimum, I'd be very surprised.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons why I insist that attempting to build our own tanks instead of importing in 2076 is an elaborate waste of resources.
The threat environment is not something that homebuilt designs can handle.

Next time I'm free, we'll talk hypervelocity missiles, and why we should have them.

Last edited:
This is excellently done, even if the subtle horror is gut-wrenching. All the little details add up to paint a nauseating portrait of a truly fucked up society in a way most writers don't pull off nearly as well.

That means a lot to me, thanks. A big part of why I wrote this series was to provide an inside perspective on Victoria, and how its system actually affects the very people it's supposed to uplift to some idyllic retro-agrarian paradise.

So in practice Victoria is textbook fascism, my question is does it treat corporate and labor power?
Labor power is most likely totally shut down, because worker's rights is communism is evil.

I'm not so sure on corporate power; the whole retroculture ideal seems like it'd be oriented more towards small businesses (at least in rhetoric), but so's OTL conservatism, and that's pretty pro-corporate in practice. My guess is corporate power doesn't really factor in much, because all the corporations that matter are controlled by the government. The Russian government, that is.

Labor power is most likely totally shut down, because worker's rights is communism is evil.

I'm not so sure on corporate power; the whole retroculture ideal seems like it'd be oriented more towards small businesses (at least in rhetoric), but so's OTL conservatism, and that's pretty pro-corporate in practice. My guess is corporate power doesn't really factor in much, because all the corporations that matter are controlled by the government. The Russian government, that is.

I always figured Victoria would be an economic backwater, any foreign corporation enticed by the lack of taxes or regulation would probably limit their investment towards resource extraction once they a see a populace deliberately limited in terms of technical literacy and economic potential, plus a society of paranoid control freaks who make it a standard to crush any dissenters in the most violent and destructive way possible. The most economic opportunity would probably revolve around selling goods where being high tech doesn't matter or you could market being made in traditional ways as a selling point, such as in the case of furniture; or a domestic automotive industry that revolves around making and selling electric cars that still use lead acid batteries.

So in practice Victoria is textbook fascism, my question is does it treat corporate and labor power?
Its a Russian client state with a captive underclass of black people who get fingered for everything unpleasant from unsolved crimes to scut work.
And an ongoing trade in abductees from the rest of the American inner country..
What do you think?

Russian corporations will get most whatever concessions they want in real estate and regulations, and cheap labor at cut rate hiring rates, and in the interests of racial harmony the costs get offloaded to the black population and whatever unfortunate native Americans didn't run away from New England. Shortages of labor will be made up by outright slavery from Pennsylvania and Ontario.

Modern industry doesn't need that much unskilled labor though, so I suspect they can afford to mostly abuse their black population.

Modern industry doesn't need that much unskilled labor though, so I suspect they can afford to mostly abuse their black population.
Ah, but the Victorians 'hate' modernity, so who can say for certain? Likely the abuse happens regardless of which is the case, because Victorians never let a silly thing like reality get in the way of treating people like trash.

Ah, but the Victorians 'hate' modernity, so who can say for certain? Likely the abuse happens regardless of which is the case, because Victorians never let a silly thing like reality get in the way of treating people like trash.
The Tsar and Russian megacorps don't give a shit, and certainly won't let Vic ideology get in the way of making a buck.
Nor will any other corporation unethical enough to do business with them.

They're already too racist to get business from subsaharan Africa or South America, the Chinese remember getting screwed by Rumford even if they were willing to do business with Russian client statess, and France's unrelentingly hostility closes the doors of the EU quite firmly in their faces.
So dictating terms is not really something they have the option to do.

And I will remind you that Rumford's official memoirs also accredits their perfect society with inventing hypertech airships and cold fusion nuclear generators, which are certainly not <1960s tech :V .Or do you think they are running the Fundy Bay tidal generators, or the Niagara power plants, without computers and stuff?

The Russians, and before them the Chinese, certainly didn't build the Fundy Bay megaproject with 1930s tech.

Victoria is a fascist regime.
They officially hate modernity until it suits them to pretend otherwise.
They lie shamelessly when and how it suits them and ignore contradictions of their own ideology.

Back