The Young Eagle - A Napoleon Quest

I'm personally of the opinion that Napoleon's position on women, like everything else, should be determined by its political utility to him in that moment. I believe OTL Napoleon's opinion was that he really just wanted to have French women have lots of kids so France would remain powerful and not displaced by neighboring countries. I think our Napoleon should just go with where he sees the winds blowing on this matter. I think I recall that backstabbing the position of women later on was something that helped him to fit into the conservative mould during his reign that helped him to attain widespread popularity.

[x] Spend some time with Davout
[x] Don't Care: Maybe men and women are equal. Maybe not. You don't really think you could care less - you're bored and can't wait for the conversation to end.
[x] Make small talk with someone (Small Charm Boost)

[x] Agree: The revolution was intended to free all of France, not just half of it. In your experience there is no difference in the intelligence of women, nor in their character, from men. It could be argued this revolution wouldn't have happened if not for them - it was women, not men, who marched on Versailles, after all. Women deserve to enjoy all the same rights - including suffrage - as men.

In relation to a future position on the Levee En Masse, I feel like we should be picking and supporting maximalist positions. The more things are upended the more the status quo can shift to favour us, "Everything under Heavens is utter chaos: conditions are excellent" etc. The dream scenario in my mind is extending the draft to everyone to turn the historically comically big French army after the Levee En Mass, into an even comically bigger army, and really get the revolutionary logic flowing.

[x] Make small talk with someone (Small Charm Boost)

Honestly, I just think Boney growing to be less of a socially awkward Wall Flower to be good character growth.

You know as someone with only fragmented knowledge of the period all, I find all this extremely fascinating. I had a pretty cursory command of the key players and general arc of the period, but all the 'new' faces are satisfyingly fresh to see.

In relation to a future position on the Levee En Masse, I feel like we should be picking and supporting maximalist positions. The more things are upended the more the status quo can shift to favour us, "Everything under Heavens is utter chaos: conditions are excellent" etc. The dream scenario in my mind is extending the draft to everyone to turn the historically comically big French army after the Levee En Mass, into an even comically bigger army, and really get the revolutionary logic flowing.

Even aside from the political benefits, the levee is a necessity if we want to fight a real prolonged war with the rest of the continent, where our only real advantage is mobilisation potential. Unless of course we want to embrace the Bourbon freak currently squatting in the halls of the revolution, and his counter-revolutionary policy of total surrender to the forces of reaction. Not to bias anyones choices.

Even aside from the political benefits, the levee is a necessity if we want to fight a real prolonged war with the rest of the continent, where our only real advantage is mobilisation potential. Unless of course we want to embrace the Bourbon freak currently squatting in the halls of the revolution, and his counter-revolutionary policy of total surrender to the forces of reaction. Not to bias anyones choices.
I am of the mind that we need a mobilization but we also need to make sure that much like in real life there are sufficient periods of peace for France to recover its strength between coalition wars. That being said, we ought to maneuver towards political instability for the moment to ensure we continue to rise in the ranks (not that we should openly align with anyone radical at least for the moment). One successful campaign does not an emperor make.

Napoleon need to preach that gender roles are social construct, that people should be able to chose their path in life, that there is no shame for a woman to take activites that are seen now as reserved for men or to be content being a mother with children no shame but don't force others. Same for men don't be ashamed to start learning how to clean clothes, to cook (I don't know how much it is or isn't similar to 20th US on the women stay at home, men go to work) or for the wife to be the breadwinner while the man stay at home. Yes there will be a lot of people that will still end up forced into unwanted positions or roles due to expectations, social pressures, and more but we can start to present and normalise these ideas until 40 years from now its seen just as another thing of life.

Edit : I got a little preachy about it but I would like this to be the opinions of Bonaparte and that he is open about it even if he is occupied with military expeditions the gain in reputation will make people more aware of his ideals.

Last edited:
The dream scenario in my mind is extending the draft to everyone to turn the historically comically big French army after the Levee En Mass, into an even comically bigger army, and really get the revolutionary logic flowing.

A woman can fire a musket as easily as any man. Truly firearms are the weapon of the revolution since they allow for equality in killing.

Last edited:
Napoleon need to preach that gender roles are social construct, that people should be able to chose their path in life, that there is no shame for a woman to take activites that are seen now as reserved for men or to be content being a mother with children no shame but don't force others. Same for men don't be ashamed to start learning how to clean clothes, to cook (I don't know how much it is or isn't similar to 20th US on the women stay at home, men go to work) or for the wife to be the breadwinner while the man stay at home. Yes there will be a lot of people that will still end up forced into unwanted positions or roles due to expectations, social pressures, and more but we can start to present and normalise these ideas until 40 years from now its seen just as another thing of life.

Edit : I got a little preachy about it but I would like this to be the opinions of Bonaparte and that he is open about it even if he is occupied with military expeditions the gain in reputation will make people more aware of his ideals.
I mean, those happen to be my personal beliefs but I think the blow back you'd get in late 18th century France to in the long term would make our political career non-viable. Were we to want Napoleon to be a vanguard of women's liberation (very funny to imagine) you'd probably want to look more along the lines of the very early feminist thinkers of the time such as Wollstonecraft. In that sense what would probably be wisest would be to increase legal protections for woman's land ownership, education, child custody, divorce, etc. thereby encouraging the beginnings of women's class consciousness and mirroring the relatively elite-led development of feminism seen in Britain. I think it would be unwise, for instance, for Napoleon to suggest we should begin including women in the military beyond traditional non-combatant roles. Unless, of course, Tjf would be interested in engaging in some wholesome-maxing historical fantasy.

Napoleon Bonaparte ibn Carlo Caliph of the French Caliphate, while we're at it throw some more titles, Greatest of all Khans (by virtue of no khaganates with international power), Shahanshah (why not), Shogun (somehow), Pharaoh (We're going to egypt anyways), First amongst 'equals' (Agustus did it we can to), Hero of the revolution (atleast our pr team thinks so), and last but not least general General

If i have a pc right now i'll probably make a shitty edit of napoleon with all his hats, ie a turban, jacobin cap, the mongol fur helmet, the japanase headwear thing, the wierd pharaoh cobra helemet with the fake beard, the golden wreath. Shame

Last edited:
[X] Partially Agree: Ultimately, you believe that women are inherently equal or nearly equal to men in intellect. That said, you doubt society is ready for such a radical change as full equality.

[X] Spend some time with Davout
[X] Partially Agree: Ultimately, you believe that women are inherently equal or nearly equal to men in intellect. That said, you doubt society is ready for such a radical change as full equality.
[X] Address a group of socialites asking you about Sardinia (Small Charisma Boost)

Great update, I don't know half the people we met but it's interesting to read their wikis. Unlike some people on this thread, I am not that opposed to President Bourbon. I can't wait for the dice to decide who would win in this faction war.

Next turn I hope we will go meet all three factions at once.

[X] Spend some time with Davout
[X] Address a group of socialites asking you about Sardinia (Small Charisma Boost)

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Tjf on Aug 18, 2024 at 1:30 AM, finished with 45 posts and 29 votes.

Le Monde - October 1793 (Rumor Mill 4)
Events in Paris:

- The Levee en Masse debate rages, as the city's grain reserves begin to run low
Result: Paris Political Climate raises from lively to Excited, Political Actions unlocked

- The National Convention, in collusion with the army, forms the compagnie d'aérostiers, led by scientist Nicholas Jacques Conté. The goal of the company is to figure out how to utilise hot air balloon technology for use in warfare.
Result: Hot air balloons become available for the Armée du Nord (Some legwork required before they can actually be used)

- The Louvre is opened to the public as an art museum
Result: Action unlocked to visit the Louvre. The National Convention now desires looted artworks for display

War in the Vendée Events:

- The War in the Vendée continues on at a gruelling pace. The intensity of the fighting has declined, though, due to General Kellerman managing to get the Convention (or at least most of it) to permit him to issue amnesties for some of the lower ranking Chouan officers, gutting communication between the Royal and Catholic warlords, and the soldiers on the ground. Kellerman has taken the opportunity to end the policy of reprisal attacks against towns and villages.

- A Royal Navy frigate has been shipwrecked off Brest. After interrogation, the captain admitted that the admiralty, fearing that the War in the Vendée might end, was seeking to land British and royalist forces, and his mission had been to identify potential landing sites. The invasion was scheduled for 1794, as, due to the lateness of the year, the seas are too choppy to make a 1793 landing feasible.

Result: War in the Vendée appears to be cooling down.

Events in Saint-Domingue:

- The National Convention passes a law for the complete abolition of slavery in France and her international colonies. The French garrison on the island is ordered to cease fighting with the formerly enslaved population and focus on finding a peaceful settlement between the white planters and the former slaves.

- Much of the planting class secretly negotiates a deal with the British in Jamaica, and before long a squadron is sent to Saint-Domingue, composed of Royal Navy ships and British Army regiments. Port-au-Prince is bombarded and taken, the garrison surrendering. French forces on the island, caught off guard, are forced to negotiate an alliance with Toussaint Louveture, the most influential of the African leaders on the island.

- The kidnapping and murder of an African family by their former master leads to a reprisal attack and the slaughter of several planter families in the area. Planter communities form militias and threaten to slaughter Africans still held in bondage if they're attacked. The conflict seems poised to spiral out of control.

Result: A war begins on Saint Domingue (Haiti)

War in Italy Events:

- The long-awaited Austrian offensive into Italy begins. Archduke Karl, Duke of Techen, faces a French/Venetian force led by Thomas Alexandre Dumas, outside the Venetian-held city of Udine. A three day battle ensues between the armies of Archduke Karl and Alexandre Dumas, which finally results in a decisive French/Venetian retreat. Dumas organised an effective retreat, staying organised and moving back to Padua. Karl marched as far as Treviso, near Venice herself, before the campaign season ended and it was decided to halt the campaign until 1794.

Archduke Karl triumphant

- Austrian general Alvinci easily seizes Istria, the Republic of Ragusa, and Venice's Dalmatian Coast ports. Probing attacks against Venetian-held islands off Greece, however, are fought off by Venetian naval squadrons, and Vienna abandons the idea of a naval invasion.

- The Venetian Senate is shaken by their losses and very nearly votes to offer surrender - unconditionally, if the Austrians demand it. Emperor Franz II puts his foot in his mouth at the last moment, however, by announcing to the court in Vienna that he intends to annex Venice once and for all. The surrender vote is defeated once word filters back to the Serene Republic.

- Before the Udine Campaign, Dumas received word that a British-led expedition had been sent to the boot of Italy. An Anglo/Neapolitan/Papal/Tuscan army was sent North to strike the French in the back. Dumas decided to divide the Armée d'Italie into two seperate forces to deal with the two threats - the Armée de Vénétie, and the Armée de Toscane. General Masséna was placed in charge of the latter, and sent South. Judging correctly that the Coalition force would be unable to coordinate properly, Masséna was able to march southward faster than his enemy could move North, invading the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Ferdinand III von Hapsburg-Lorraine, ruler of Tuscany, was forced to flee after his army was shattered at San Gimignano and Volterra. Masséna entered Firenze unopposed, proclaiming the restoration of the Florentine Republic. He took mass in il Duomo, even as his soldiers were removing paintings from the old signoria and the Palazzo Ducale to be shipped off to Paris.

Result: France suffers defeat in Northern Italy, and enjoys victory in Tuscany. The Florentine Republic is 'revived'. The Republic of Venice is at the breaking point. General Dumas is supplanted by General Masséna as the most popular general in France. Due to losses taken during the campaigns, the arguments for the levée en masse are strengthened, and President Egalité's anti-conscription position is weakened.

Dark Blue: French territory
Lighter Blue: 'Sister Republic' of France
Yellow: Venetian territory occupied by Austria

Sorry for the shitty map - The Cisalpine Republic comprises all of the former territory of Piedmont, Milan, Parma, Modena and Genoa. Lucca has been absorbed into the Florentine Republic.

War in the Pyrenees Events:

France wins the Battle of Peyrestortes against Spain. Spanish forces are pushed back to the Pyrenees.

Result: Spain pushed out of French territory - Spanish desire to be in the war drops further.

Events in Prussia:

The Duke of Brunswick angrily protests against the peace treaty with France to the king in front of the Prussian court. With the king old and suffering from illness, this is incorrectly taken to be an attack on royal sovereignty, and Brunswick is publicly dressed down in front of the court by the crown prince. Luckily for him, the anti-French Princess Louise intervenes to stop more drastic action, and Brunswick is placed on half pay and sent to command a reserve army on the Polish border, rather than something more drastic

Result: Prussia ratifies the Treaty of Berlin and peace with France is made official. Attacks on the peace are seen as attacks on the sovereign, meaning that for the next several turns, anyone in Prussia trying to restart the war will suffer significant maluses to their efforts, and potentially risk their career if they fail. An anti-French lobby still exists in Prussia, however, biding their time until a more opportune moment arrives.

Events in the United States:

- The White Terror and France's adoption of a presidential system have increased sympathy for the revolutionary government in America. President Washington remains stern, however, that America have no part in the war in Europe.

- The debate over what powers a president should have in France, has sparked similar arguments in America. Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, under the pseudonyms Pacificus and Helvidius, undergo a war of words over whether the president has the right to unilaterally forbid the country from getting involved in a foreign war.

- American slave traders and plantation owners, alarmed by the abolition of slavery in French territory, have begun lobbying for a distancing between America and France.

Result: Franco-US relations improve slightly, but slavers are attempting to damage relations. Debates rage in America over whether Washington has the right to keep the US out of the war - and whether the US should begin favouring France more.

Reputation of France and Napoleon internationally:

Great Britain: Enthusiastic about the war with France - Peace very unlikely
Napoleon's reputation in Britain: -5 (The ungrateful French wretch!)

Austria: Thrilled by the successes of Archduke Karl - Peace very unlikely
Napoleon's reputation in Austria: -3 (Sardinia's going to be an issue in the future, because of him.)

Spain: Thinking that this war was a bad idea - High peace chance
Napoleon's reputation in Spain: +3 (He's someone we can deal with.)

Prussia: Satisfied with the peace with France. *Cocks Pistol* Does anyone disagree? No? - War very unlikely
Napoleon's reputation in Prussia: 0 (Who?)

Sardinia-Piedmont: Exists only in theory
Napoleon's reputation in Sardinia-Piedmont: -10 (Our marquis will be avenged someday, you cur!)

The Most Serene Republic of Venice: Allying with France was a mistake, but we're committed. We made our bed and have to lie in it - Unlikely to surrender
Napoleon's reputation in Venice: -1 (He's one of the French generals who started this mess.)

The United States: Warming back up to the Republic, but alarmed by talk of abolition - Alliance chance unlikely
Napoleon's reputation in the US: +3 (A mere captain conquered all of Sardinia? Impressive)

Well the Prussians actually holding to peace would be a very nice turn of events while we scramble to defeat the Austrians and Brit's on the mainland. Dumas having problems is not great, but at least his previous successes and Massena's current ones should allow a lot of territory for the two sides to fight over while we strike up north. Haiti falling into British hands is unfortunate but not very surprising, hopefully Toussaint and the republicans can strike them down with guerilla tactics. I suspect we're going to be too abolitionist and distant for the Americans to want to step into any of our conflicts tbh, unless we can give them a really good opportunity to pull an 1812.

I kinda wonder whats going on in Russia tbh. Having them help the Austrians could be a real headache.

Ooh, I'm loving this.

It seems that had the vote decided that Napoleon choose to join the Armee D'Italie as a divisional commander, he would likely be poised to accompany Dumas back into Italy in 1794 to try to push Archduke Karl back.

It seems that Kellerman is well aware that he cannot fully destroy anti-revolutionary sentiment in the Vendee, and that the best he can hope for is an uneasy truce/ceasefire, unless he opts to just kill every last person in the region.
…Napoleon must acquire Berthier, one way or another. He must convince Louis-Alexandre that the very best option he should take is to place himself by Napoleon's side.

Perfidious Albion continues to try to gain a foothold in continental Europe.
They failed at Toulon, failed in the Vendee, and failed in southern Italy, but those darn English are persistent and unlikely to give up.

Prussia is at peace with France…for now.
It was Talleyrand who negotiated the terms of the peace, and Egalite who read and signed it.
Danton and Saint Just may be very keen to know the full contents of the Treaty of Berlin.

Spain is going through its own problems, and the last thing it wants right now is a war. So on that front, France seems ok.

The greatest foreign threat at the moment is the Austrians, who are consolidating their gains and preparing for a fresh new campaign in early 1794.
Napoleon must be ready to serve the Armee du Nord by the time that campaign begins.

Every turn is precious, every decision has lasting impact. Let us not waste them.

EDIT: In my opinion, the most dangerous threat to France right now is the growing and building tension between the three major factions in Paris, led by Egalite, Danton and Saint Just.

Last edited:
The National Convention, in collusion with the army, forms the compagnie d'aérostiers, led by scientist Nicholas Jacques Conté. The goal of the company is to figure out how to utilise hot air balloon technology for use in warfare.
Remembers the first battle using one had it foisted upon the fighting force via political command and the generals afterwards pretty begged to not have to continue using the stupid thing

Oh dear.

A Royal Navy frigate has been shipwrecked off Brest. After interrogation, the captain admitted that the admiralty, fearing that the War in the Vendée might end, was seeking to land British and royalist forces, and his mission had been to identify potential landing sites. The invasion was scheduled for 1794, as, due to the lateness of the year, the seas are too choppy to make a 1793 landing feasible.

Oh damn, the person in charge of Vendee actually trying to descalate??? Will miracles never cease? Here's hoping the public confession means everyone can join in good ol British hatred.

Despite French success in Sardinia, the setbacks in the Netherlands and Italy may now be causing doubt among certain circles in Europe as to whether the Revolution's ideals could survive past 1794.

The United States stubbornly remaining neutral isn't going to help France much either.

Yes, France now has peace with Prussia, but how long would it be before the other European monarchies pressure Freddy Bill (whatever numeral he has) to join their coalition?

And of course we can't count out Russia, whose army in this time period is formidable and dangerous.
If Dumas were to find himself facing off against Suvorov…

Anything could happen in this story. The British may land a force in the Netherlands, and Moreau may end up fighting highly-trained and well-drilled British redcoats.

We also have to consider that Dumouriez was well-liked by the people of Belgium.
Hearts and minds. Do not turn the civilian population against you.

Also, Massena looting art, because it's Massena.

Back