The Young Eagle - A Napoleon Quest

I disagree. Poland is dead and it will be immpossible to revive it. Now, some of you will asked why? Well, OTL The creation of Duchy of Warsaw was another reason why Russia betrayed France. They worried that the duchy will be used as a staging ground for the invasion of Russia. If we want to insure France hegemony over Europe for decades, then we need the neutrality of Russia. And to do that, we must, reluctantly, abandone the Poles.
Should France push East, Poland will be there and will be a source of eager soldiers. Having an ally in this part of the continent is an asset, not a liability. Since we will probably always be at odds with Prussia, Austria and Russia, looking for their weak points (the Poles) will be inevitable. However, we will do so once we need to do so. To march into Poland for Poland's sake alone (as the vote proposed) would be suicidal.

I'm hoping to have my latest assessment submitted tonight, so hopefully the next update should be tomorrow or the day after. In the meantime, there's something I found while doing research that I've been puzzled by and I wanted to get a second opinion:

Am I missing something, or did the Brits get the colour of their own flag wrong? Like, the Scottish Cross is meant to be white, not blue, right?

I'm hoping to have my latest assessment submitted tonight, so hopefully the next update should be tomorrow or the day after. In the meantime, there's something I found while doing research that I've been puzzled by and I wanted to get a second opinion:

Am I missing something, or did the Brits get the colour of their own flag wrong? Like, the Scottish Cross is meant to be white, not blue, right?
The blue saltire on a white field is the St. Andrew's flag that the Russian navy used. So I guess both are St. Andrew's crosses. I've never seen this done before though. Perhaps the English are just stupid and need French rule?

Am I missing something, or did the Brits get the colour of their own flag wrong?

You made me curious, there's no explanation/description on the British Museum webpage for that piece of art, but there is another one made by James Gillray, the same guy, using the same pattern.

Other art with same color

After a bit of digging, I found an article that goes over precisely this topic:

"Many cartoons by James Gillray (1756 or 1757 - 1815) show an unusual depiction of Union Jack, with red cross over blue saltire on white field.
The reason for the use of this design is not quite clear; perhaps Gillray worried that he might have been prosecuted for the flag desecration if he had depicted the correct design, for the depicted persons who were offended by his cartoons, would have probably gladly used such an accusation against him. However, the same design appears in a number of patriotic cartoons as well, like the "Buonaparte, 48 hours after landing!" of 1803 and "John Bull offering little Boney fair play" of same year."

Also, that's supposed to be propoganda? Those absolute units don't exactly look very self flattering, but this James Gillray fellow has a few amusing artpieces, for example his depiction of Suvorov looks quite funny, if you have the time to go through his stuff.

Looks like author was so deranged by Napoleon that he forgot the correct colour's of his countries flag. That does not look like any naval flag for Britain. To me as well. Just looks like he just put the Scottish saltire over the English cross, maybe a subconscious act of saying English are superior to scots?

Looks like author was so deranged by Napoleon that he forgot the correct colour's of his countries flag. That does not look like any naval flag for Britain. To me as well. Just looks like he just put the Scottish saltire over the English cross, maybe a subconscious act of saying English are superior to scots?
Could this be an early example of a propaganda artist not getting images correct?

"Alright, put a British flag in the background. I don't care, any of them will do."

Sheesh. If you're going to do it, at least be good at it. I like songs by the Red Army Choir.

Napoleon proved in Sardinia that the best way to lie is to tell the truth.

15th of August, 2024 (16th here in the Asia-Pacific).
255 years since Napoleon was born.
His legacy still lives on to this day.

Europe is mostly no longer under monarchies. Now it is mostly republics, with many a tricolor flag.

Also I just clicked for me now. Did Britain just completely trash diplomatic immunity? Egalite sent the diplomats to Britain and they just arrested them. That would be immensely scandalous, even if the Brits try to memeoryhole this should negatively impact relations with allies. (I don't know if diplomatic immunity is the right term to what's benefit diplomats enjoy)

Also I just clicked for me now. Did Britain just completely trash diplomatic immunity? Egalite sent the diplomats to Britain and they just arrested them. That would be immensely scandalous, even if the Brits try to memeoryhole this should negatively impact relations with allies. (I don't know if diplomatic immunity is the right term to what's benefit diplomats enjoy)

AIUI, Diplomatic immunity was only set in international agreements at the Congress of Vienna in 1815 (OTL).

OTOH, I believe UK just walked over its own laws, as there is a an act of Parliament protecting foreign diplomats since 1709.

Ah, but the British have the legitimate government of France as their guests, these so-called diplomats are obviously from an illegal government that has set itself up in France! :V

Not sure if they did, but they'd probably argue that we started it first by arresting that guy who was trying to bribe us.
AIUI, Diplomatic immunity was only set in international agreements at the Congress of Vienna in 1815 (OTL).

OTOH, I believe UK just walked over its own laws, as there is a an act of Parliament protecting foreign diplomats since 1709.
Ah, but the British have the legitimate government of France as their guests, these so-called diplomats are obviously from an illegal government that has set itself up in France! :V
AvidFicReader has the right of it - Britain doesn't recognise the Republique Francaise as a legitimate government. Therefore, it can't have diplomats. As the caretakers of the 'legitimate government', they've arrested the 'criminals'. The results, unfortunately, of a crit fail on Egalite's diplomacy roll.

It still isn't a good look diplomatically.

Napoleon Returns from Sardinia - July 1793
The expedition to Sardinia has ended in rousing success...but the revolutionary wars in Europe continue.
Napoleon's time in Sardinia is done.

In real life, in July 1793, Captain Bonaparte was placed under the command of General Jean-Baptiste Carteaux. Soon afterward, the young Bonaparte found himself participating in the Siege of Toulon.

In this story, Toulon remains firmly under French control, and Brigadier-General Bonaparte is about to be assigned to the Armee Du Nord as its Chief of Staff. I love how much things have taken such a different turn thanks to his success in Sardinia, as well as the massive upheaval of events in Paris (and Dumas giving the Aussies a good kickin' across Northern Italy)

Angioy lies slumped over the desk, snoring softly
People who say that being a political leader or a corporate CEO means you sit with your feet up on a desk doing nothing all day while everyone else does the work. That really isn't the case. Yes, they are positions of power, but also of immense responsibility.
I do not envy Angioy his position. He has finally achieved his dream of an independent Sardinia, but now he must build this new nation from the ground up. Good luck to him. He's going to need it...

The Sardinians have to be vigilant. There is no telling if a British fleet is going to appear on the horizon one day, carrying Piedmontese troops eager to avenge their humiliating defeat and to punish the Sardinian people for daring to rise up against them.

Dumas may have pacified Northern Italy for now, but as Suvorov proved in 1799, all your previous successes can be quickly overturned.

as you write, scrap and rewrite drafts for the country's constitution
There are so many cases of a faction overthrowing a ruling regime only to find itself unable to build a functioning government afterward.

The United States succeeding in Germany and Japan, but failing in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Not a perfect track record, but not a completely terrible one either. There are both successes and failures.
I was told that the reason for this is that Germany and Japan were already industrialized economies with strong national identities, while Afghanistan was a patchwork of warlords and farmers while Iraq was somewhere between those two points.
The person added, "The USA can write a new constitution, impose policies, and encourage pre-existing democratic political agents to take a more active role. It can't create a country out of nothing, or summon centuries of political cultural evolution out of thin air."

(looks at Napoleon succeeding in Sardinia)
(looks at the ideals of the Revolution successfully spreading throughout Europe, to Italy, to Poland, contributing to a unified German state)
(looks at Napoleon failing to bring the ideals of the Revolution to Egypt)
Hm.

Can Napoleon, friend of Robespierre, inspire the people of the Netherlands and (hopefully) of the German states to rise up and say, 'No more monarchies'?
We shall see.

By the way, I completely and fully support the locals of Haiti rising up against the French. What Napoleon attempted to do in Haiti is completely inexcusable. There is no justifying it, not even a little. And I am very glad that he later admitted to that.

the troops were getting restless
They should form a union!

no Jew or Greek will legally be allowed to be confined in a ghetto or made to wear an armband
Angioy had better not become a tyrant...

'Tynanda is small, Mr Monaghan, but I love it and its people dearly. I intend to give my country the government it has long deserved.'
'Glad to hear it, Mr Ributu...'cause we can always come back.'
- Hitman comic series, issue 33

Angioy will have to start from scratch
There are people who say they don't like fistfights in parliaments. I like fistfights in parliaments! Better that than everyone standing up to applaud the Supreme Leader, sitting in silence while he talks, then standing up and applauding again, in every so-called debate and voting session.

Angioy will have to add some sections later
It is up to the Sardinian people what they want to do. For better or worse, they are their own country now.
...they're going to start trading with the British, aren't they?

The aristocrats and clergy won't be happy about the taxes they have to pay
Oh no, they must now pay taxes like everyone else. How awful.

Gained Trait - Lawmaker (+10 Intelligence, +10 to Drafting Legislation)
Napoleon would abuse the hell out of an isekai setting with video game traits.

look up at you with awe - the man who lead them to a victory they didn't think themselves capable of
They were just civilians not long ago. Now they can proudly say that they gave their blood to make the world a slightly better place.

None but you could have done this
Napoleon's addresses to the Army of Italy and later to the Grande Armee are magnificent. (looks at the Egyptian Expedition) Ignore that.

You were right to hire the doctors
What commander in their right mind in this day and age doesn't hire professional doctors to accompany their military?
When the campaign in the Netherlands begins, it won't be enemy action that kills the majority of the Armee du Nord's losses.

you don't know what it means, but you can guess
Warfare in the Age of Sail. There aren't enough movies or TV shows of it.

It feels like it's been years since you've been here
Napoleon is not the same man he was when he left for Corsica.

The 1796 campaign in northern Italy changed Napoleon.
It made him believe that he was a person destined to change the world.
He was correct.

a proud look on his face
Well done, Treguet. The seas of Europe must be kept safe for France.

My career would have died back at Cagliari if you hadn't salvaged the situation
Treguet seems to be genuinely grateful...but there are no friends in this game.

A crowd of hundreds cheers your name
This is just the beginning for Napoleon. Just the beginning. There will be more fighting, more struggles, more frustration and more losses. He must keep improving his skills, developing new ones. He cannot sit on his laurels.

Men lean in to kiss your cheeks, while women try to cop a feel
French.

he wishes his condolences for your 'dearest friend'
Robespierre in this story died a hero, one hundred percent. He was happy to go to the guillotine in that manner; he got exactly what he wanted. In his last words, he declared that the revolution has only just started. And in my opinion he may well be proven correct.

On behalf of the Republic and the National Convention, I have been entrusted to present Citizen Bonaparte with an arm d'honneur!
Tread carefully, Napoleon. The National Convention is pleased with your success in Sardinia, but if you fail in the Netherlands...

Ever since you got back to Paris, it's been non-stop. You're the new hot stock in the city, and everyone wants to know what you're about - and conscript you for their efforts.
That scene with Saint Just, in which he quietly studies and scrutinizes you...I say again; Saint Just makes Robespierre look merciful.

with Gauloise and Legrange crammed inside
I want to see Gauloise become THE senior NCO of France.
General Bonaparte introducing Gauloise to his generals and colonels, then declaring that none of them can exercise any authority over him; Gauloise will answer only to him, and take orders only from him.

"He answers to me, and to me alone."

to retake the Low Countries
The Netherlands is OP. Plz nerf.

What I got from watching the above video: Dutch people are water-type pokemon.

lost after the Dumouriez Affair
I wonder if the Dutch still remember Dumouriez with fondness, or if they were horrified by what his men did in Paris.

he'd like to have you as his chief of staff for the new Armee Du Nord
Of all the people he could have chosen, he chose Napoleon. Why is that?

In elegant handwriting
Napoleon frowns in slight annoyance (Napoleon's own handwriting was atrocious. It was so bad that Berthier often wrote orders for him instead)

It's likely he'll be facing Archduke Karl at some point
Alas for Dumas, the people of this Quest have voted, and Napoleon won't be accompanying him into Italy.

He promises to return the favor at some point
I'm curious of the relationship between Andre and his brother.

in an odd accent...but with more of a...brogue
Paddy's Lamentation.

'D'you have a problem with there bein' Irish in the army, sir?'
'Ahhh, half the bloody army is Irish.'
- Sharpe

He calls out passionately over wine.
In my opinion the Irish make for both great heroes and antagonists.

'Cordial and water would be grand.'

The English keep us fighting amongst one another
(looks at the Troubles) The Irish Republican Army and the Ulster Volunteer Force.

Ireland is ready for a rising - to throw the English into the sea
Every choice Napoleon makes has consequences. Lord Fitzgerald is unlikely to forget that you refused to take up his offer to assist in an attempt to free Ireland from the English.

But I say again; this is Insane difficulty.
The English will never, ever accept Irish independence.

The story he tells of his homeland is harrowing
In my opinion, the Middle-Eastern version of Poland is Kurdistan. Sucks to be the Kurds...but who knows; maybe one day they would reclaim their state.
There are Kurds right now who are fighting alongside the Russians, and Americans say that they cannot bring themselves to blame those Kurds ("It's our fault. We abandoned them.")

Turkey on one side, Iraq on another, Iran on the other side...Kurdistan really is Middle-Eastern Poland.

invaded by Russia, Austria and Prussia
Poland's best and most trustworthy neighbor is the sea.

He sees us as part of his empire already
Tsars need wars to stay in power. They cannot stop having wars. If they stop, they die. It's a fascinating aspect of Russian history that I want to learn more about.
Catherine the Great is the best one of them all, and even she needed to invade and annex other countries to maintain her power in Saint Petersburg.

they've filled their army with Poles and Lithuanians who were proud citizens of the Commonwealth as soon as a year ago
Conscripting POWs into your army. What Could Possibly Go Wrong.

All we need are good officers to train our army
No, Poniatowski. You need far more than that. And you know it.

Wait 'til Napoleon tries Georgian food.

you head to the Tuilleries to address the National Convention
I'm scared now.

"French is a waste of time!"
- a Saudi who speaks French

That made me laugh so hard.

seeks French officers to help train his army in modern European tactics
'Load. Aim. Shoot.'
- RRR (2022)

you're invited to dinner by a slimy looking fellow
Oh, no. Tjf, you're doing this just to scare me, aren't you?

an infuriatingly long period of small talk
Talleyrand is such a scumbag. Seriously.

He proposes sending you to the United States
Talleyrand one hundred percent is in collusion with France's enemies. He has no loyalty to anyone or anything. There are people who say he does have loyalty to France. I'm not so sure of that. The man is corrupt to the bone.
...I swear to God, Tjf, if you write a scene of Talleyrand meeting with Massena, I am going to scream.

you feel like you've been unconscious for a year
Napoleon of Another World, by CJ Spencer.
If you haven't read it (it's on Wattpad), you should. Highly recommend it.

won't see you gone until 1794 at the least.
Alright then. So there is a lot that Napoleon can and must get done before he returns to the battlefield once more.

Chief of staff for an army isn't a role that carries much opportunity for glory in combat, but it's a position that inherently carries with it the weight of respect and responsibility
Always learn who the enemy's Chief-Of-Staff is; who is in charge of supplies, logistics, communications.

Italy is likely where the heaviest fighting of the war so far will occur
All eyes are on Italy now, with the Netherlands and Germany looking to be the sideshow.
We should at least prepare for the possibility of the British showing up.

Lazare Carnot is one of the foremost military minds of your age
He really is.

To form an Irish Expeditionary Force
I just don't see this working...

on a training mission to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
This is the one I voted for. Maybe next time.

surrounded by empires
I want Dutch and German people in this Quest waving tricolor flags.

To be sent as a military liason to Mysore
There was a very good argument for this one, and it ended up coming in second in the vote. I like to think of it as Napoleon seriously considering going to India, before deciding that he will accept Moreau's offer instead. He may pen a letter to the Indian representative, stating he is very interested but cannot accept for now due to France being under threat from its own neighbors.

I doubt that. At least not yet. France is doing too well. Talleyrand would not turn against her unless she was pretty clearly losing. That man wants to be on the side of the Victor, whoever that may be. He's not gonna risk the Guillotine just to commit betrayal for betrayals sake. He's not an idiot.
In 1807 he sold military secrets to the Austrians for cash.
Napoleon could have had him shot for that, but for some reason he didn't.

Interlude - The Salons of Paris
"The memory of the Terror is no more than a nightmare [in Paris]. Everyone appears determined to make up for what they have suffered; determined because of the uncertain future not to miss a single pleasure in the present."

- Napoleon Bonaparte, in a letter to Joseph about life in post-terror Paris

Silently, you thank Murat for helping you get a nicer uniform all those months ago, because as you stand here in the midst of Grace Elliott's salon, you realise you're completely out of your depth here among the well dressed upper crust of Paris. "Darling, you came." The Scottish hostess smiles as you enter the room, leaning in to kiss your cheeks. "You look rather dashing, today." She smiles, taking your hand. "Come, let me introduce you."

The room is filled with the sounds of a harpsichord as some dandy sits and plays Vivaldi at a frantic pace. "Messieurs-dames, Napoleon - the hero of Sardinia." Elliott introduces you, and you feel dozens of eyes turn to examine you, your heart pounding and stomach churning as you feel a fear worse than facing down grapeshot. You're not sure what to do - are you supposed to say something? Make a speech? Or is that gauche? You decide there's less risk if you keep your mouth shut, so you straighten your back and slip a hand in your pocket like you've seen in portraits, praying you look impressive. A woman whispers to her friend, staring you down, and you feel like running away as your social anxiety tells you they're making fun of you. You muster your courage, however, and stay standing, nodding. Finally, after what feels like an eternity, there's a polite applause, and everyone goes back to what they were doing.

Resisting the urge to conduct a smell check or examine your uniform for mud stains, you head onto the floor, still feeling like you're going to have a heart attack every time someone looks at you, you're delighted to see at least a few people you know - Murat is flirting with some women sitting on a settee, d'Avout plays chess and glares menacingly at his opponent, while General Moreau makes polite conversation and Colonel Oudinot dances with his wife.

Choose one:

[] Spend some time with Murat
[] Spend some time with Davout
[] Spend some time with Moreau
[] Spend some time with Oudinot

You can't spend all your time with your friends, however, as Madame Elliott quickly collects you to introduce you to various personalities. First, she brings you to a group of women.

"Général." A handsome woman in her forties nods her head to you politely. "Olympe de Gouges. Please, join us." She smiles, but unlike most of the men and women in here she keeps her boundaries, and you wonder if she might share in your aversion to the carnal.

"I hear you did a damn fine job whooping those Savoyards, Général. Perhaps you could take me with you next time? I've been yearning for a crack at some royalist twats." The next woman gives you toothy grin, captivating attention with a feathered cap, masculine waistcoat over a feminine frame, and of course, numerous weapons. "Theroigne - a pleasure."

The third and final of the trio, though far from the least impressive. She takes your hand, bringing it to her lips. "Germaine. But my friends call me Minette." She purrs, looking you up and down in a way that makes you slightly uncomfortable. "I've been reading your work from Cagliari - very interesting stuff. Though you might have written more about the rights of women..." She chides you, leaving you slightly dumbstruck at the way she's taken control of the conversation.

The trio speak to you for a long while, discussing literature and politics. Olympe tells you of her own work, the Rights of Women and the Citizen. "Women have been left behind by the revolution, cher Général. For all our talk of equality, we have no more rights than we did before 1789." Olympe says. "I only intend to point out that hypocrisy."

"Tres interessante, madame." You nod and smile in agreement. In truth, you:

Choose One:

[] Agree:
The revolution was intended to free all of France, not just half of it. In your experience there is no difference in the intelligence of women, nor in their character, from men. It could be argued this revolution wouldn't have happened if not for them - it was women, not men, who marched on Versailles, after all. Women deserve to enjoy all the same rights - including suffrage - as men.

[] Partially Agree: Ultimately, you believe that women are inherently equal or nearly equal to men in intellect. That said, you doubt society is ready for such a radical change as full equality.

[] Disagree: Women belong in the home - end of story. Some increased liberties for women might be justified, but acting like men and women are equal is stupid and dangerous.

[] Don't Care: Maybe men and women are equal. Maybe not. You don't really think you could care less - you're bored and can't wait for the conversation to end.

[] Write in: Napoleon's beliefs on gender

Your conversation is ended by the sound of shouting, and you turn to see two men arguing in the corner of the room. "Ooh, looks like a fight." Theroigne smirks. "Would you mind seeing what the fuss is about, cher Bonaparte?" Germaine asks you. Curious, you nod and head over. You get a better look at the men - an older man in a noble's clothes and a younger man in a large hat.

"Mon ami, mon ami, venez ici!" The noble says to you. "Please, talk some sense into this damn fool." He points to the man in the hat. "He would have us, what, have everyone with wealth throw away their property and open up their doors? Perhaps we should do away with commerce entirely and go back to the barter system? Everyone in France deserves bread on their table, but this...levelling...is absurd and dangerous!"

"Wealth is a scourge - it corrupts people, corrupts institutions." The other man shoots back. "What were royals if not people who accumulated too much private wealth? Property should not be hoarded - it should be shared! We must let the concept of the bourgeois end with the concept of the nobles, let the concept of the poor die with the concept of serfdom. If we don't want France to return to monarchism, private property must be eradicated as an idea!"

"Gentilhommes, please be quiet." You speak in a low voice, interspersing yourself between the arguing men. "You're disturbing the other guests." Social anxiety forgotten, you speak with the authority of a general, and both back down. You think, quietly, about their arguments - so far the ideas of property and business haven't been challenged by the Revolution. Could this idea of...redistribution...really help the poor of France?

Divorcing yourself from the situation, and gaining some confidence, you manage to begin making the rounds around the room, gaining confidence as you go. You begin to be approached by various poets and artists, asking you questions about your experiences in Sardinia. You answer enigmatically - or at least you hope you seem enigmatic.

Even Madame du Barry, the former lover of Louis XV, and still a hearty patron of artists and poets in her early fifties, asks you to regale her with war stories.

Lastly, a man with fiery energy and ink-stained fingers approaches you.

"I'm glad I caught you, Général Bonaparte. The story of your crossing of the mountains carries such...pathos. Such romantic fire. Forgive me - where are my manners? Jacques-Louis." He reaches across and shakes your hand. "I would very much appreciate it if you posed for me at some point. Please, call on my studio soon."

You smile and assure the man you'll think about it and see if you have time.

Finally, you come face to face with a thickset man

"Bonaparte, correct?" Joseph Fouché asks, and you nod, wary. You've heard of Joseph Fouché - a Jacobin, a man said to have eyes and ears all over Paris. "I heard about that little investigation you pulled with the guns. Very good work - anyone can order soldiers around, but it takes a particularly...cunning mind to navigate what happens behind closed doors. Perhaps we shall work together, some day.

Feeling a chill run up your spine for some reason, just at talking to the man. "Perhaps, monsieur. Perhaps." You beat a hasty retreat. Surprisingly, as you wander the room, you find yourself hearing a subject familiar to you - the kind of subject you didn't expect to hear in this kind of place. A man and woman - lovers or a married couple, you judge from their intimacy - look over some papers near the corner of the room.

"May we help you, monsieur?" The woman asks, noticing you staring at them.

"Apologies." You try not to blush in embarrassment. "But you've forgotten to carry the one." You gesture to their papers.

"Oh..." Her face drops. "You're right. Thank you, monsieur...Bonaparte, was it?" She asks. "Though you might want to keep your help for the more...deserving. My husband and I are far from well loved in Paris." She says with a hint of resentment.

You raise an eyebrow, and the man begins to speak. "I'm Antoine Lavoisier - the king's tax collector. The man who tried to build a wall around Paris." He sighs. "And this is my wife and research partner, Marie-Anne. We came here to speak with some fellows from the Academie Francaise, but alas, they never showed up."

You look around, trying to judge the pros and cons of talking with the man - you know the name, and that he's far from popular. At the same time, the calculations are fascinating and you think he might be onto something. "What are you working on?" You ask curiously.

"Oh?" Lavoisier's eyes widen, delighted that someone might show an interest. "Well, I've been measuring new formulae for gunpowder, in the hopes that I might make it easier to produce domestically. Here, check these..."

You can't help but spend some time joining the Lavosiers to do some equations.

Some time later, Grace Elliott returns, tapping you on the shoulder. "Forgive me for disturbing you, but there are still people you should meet." She says, her words carrying a hint of warning that reminds you of why you came here in the first place - to discover the political factions of Paris. "This will likely take a while, so if there's anything you'd like to do first..." She says. You decide to:

Choose One:

[] Talk tactics with some of the generals
(Small Valor boost)
[] Do some more work with the Lavoisiers (Small Intelligence Boost)
[] Address a group of socialites asking you about Sardinia (Small Charisma Boost)
[] Make small talk with someone (Small Charm Boost)
[] Eavesdrop on a conversation (Small subterfuge Boost)

With an understanding that the time for fun and games has passed, you steel yourself and follow Elliott through the room and through a doorway, where a small, smoky lounge has been set up. On chaise longues sit a few men deep in discussion, and even someone not versed in society like yourself can tell that there's a difference in the air here that has nothing to do with the smoke. There's tension, an adversarial edge that makes you feel like squaring up and preparing for battle. "Gentilhommes, may I present Général Bonaparte?" Elliott introduces you. "Cher Napoleon, these are messieurs Danton, Hebert, Brissot et Desmoulins.

You try not to act overly surprised as you meet some of the most powerful men in the entire nation. You sit and exchange pleasantries over brandy, trying to follow along as the four talk politics. They're all quite polite, but the tension is still there, and you know that there are things being said in-between the lines of their sentences that you don't grasp yet. Finally, from the corner of the room, Elliott gives you a signal, and you finish your drink, standing and thanking the men for the conversation, before excusing yourself.

The saloniere leads you to her bureau, a quiet study lit by candle light, smiling at you, as her eyes study your face carefully. "So, what did you think?" She asks.

"I'm...not quite sure what to think." You answer carefully.

"Quite understandable. Such men keep their cards to themselves. Allow me to add some context." She invites you to sit.

The Republic has no political parties. Officially, she's ruled by the National Convention, which is united and anti-factionalist. This is a facade, however, and the Convention is already splitting into three separate (and highly unstable) factions:

Faction Name and Leader:Key members:Positions:

The 'Egalitistes'
  • Phillipe Egalite, French President
  • Jacques-Pierre Brissot, head of the Girondins
  • Mssr et Mdme Roland, prominent Girondins
  • Emmanuel Joseph Sieyes, French revolutionary politician
  • Charles Maurice de Talleyrand, French diplomat
  • Thomas Paine, English philosophe
  • The consolidation of the powers of the French president - using the US model as an example
  • Peace with the other European powers (except Britain)
  • The establishment of widespread social programs to reduce famine
  • The promotion of the middle class, international trade and entrepreneurship
  • The prevention of the levee en masse (Mass Conscription)
  • The end of the Revolution

The 'Robespierristes'
  • Louis Antoine de Saint-Just, the 'heir to Robespierre'
  • Jacques Hebert, anticlericalist
  • The Hebertist faction
  • A great deal of the sans-cullotes
  • François-Noël "Gracchus" Babeuf, French proto-communist
  • The continuation of the revolution by any means
  • The prevention of the seizure of power by a single person
  • Harsher laws to crack down on reactionaries
  • The reduction in power or complete eradication of the Church in France
  • The introduction of the Levee en Masse (Mass Conscription)
The 'Cordeliers'
  • Georges Danton, French Revolutionary leader
  • Camille Desmoulins, Revolutionary writer and propagandist
  • Olympe des Gouges, French proto-feminist
  • A great deal of the sans-cullotes
  • Marquis de Condorcet
  • The gradual end of the revolution, after significant reforms
  • The consolidation of the powers of the French president - using the US model as an example
  • Peace with the other European powers (excluding Austria)
  • Limited Social Programs
  • The introduction of the Levee en Masse (Mass Conscription)

The Levee en Masse: The many fronts France has found itself fighting on demand a constant flow of fresh soldiers. The Levee en Masse, proposed by figures like Carnot, would see the nation conscripting huge swathes of the male population for the use of the army and navy. Proponents argue that the country needs manpower if it is to win the war. Enemies of the idea argue that enlisting people against their will is undemocratic - and that taking people from France's farms, shops and factories could destroy the economy.

The Constitution of Year One: The Constitution of Year One, which was originally to be written by St Just and Robespierre but whose writing was disturbed by the Dumoriez Coup. With the government restored, the time has come to rewrite and finish the constitution. The main point of contention is the role of the president. Initially the Convention had a rotating 14-day presidency, but the rise of Phillipe Egalite has made that idea obsolete. Now, the question of how much power the president should have is holding up the ratification of the constitution.

The Law of Suspects: Though the White Terror has somewhat eroded the French people's taste for mass executions and kangaroo courts, there are still those in France who argue that the threat of counterrevolution means that it's no longer practical to hold trials for every accused criminal. The Law of Suspects would shift the burden of evidence from the prosecution to the defence, making it harder to gain a not guilty verdict, and making the death penalty much more common.

Finally, you feel a wave of relief hit you at the same time as the night breeze, as you step out onto the streets of Paris and make your way home. With the political revelations subsiding, you begin to remember your social anxiety, and wonder if you just made a complete fool of yourself to the upper crust of revolutionary France. You imagine them whispering in your wake, laughing at the long-haired, shy Corsican.

Back in the salon, the attendees are indeed whispering about you - obsessed with the enigmatic, stylish war hero who spoke so little but seemed to know so much. Later on, you think Murat's making fun of you when he tells you how many times he was asked if you were single.

Reward:
You have a reasonably firm understanding of who belongs to which faction in Paris
You've met a good chunk of Paris' social, political and scientific minds - and they all think you're the shit.
+3 Charm
On friendly terms with a whole lot of people
Political actions Unlocked
Espionage actions Unlocked

QM Note: The votes are all seperate, so feel free to vote for them individually. Sorry to introduce yet another vote, but it gives me some time to work on the next turn, which is working out to be a bit of a monster.

Last edited:
[X] Spend some time with Davout

[X] Partially Agree: Ultimately, you believe that women are inherently equal or nearly equal to men in intellect. That said, you doubt society is ready for such a radical change as full equality.

[X] Address a group of socialites asking you about Sardinia (Small Charisma Boost)

Here are my votes:

I thought of choosing Moreau, but in my opinion Napoleon is going to be spending plenty of time with him in the future anyway.
Davout on the other hand is going to become one of the very best military commanders in Europe. Napoleon should ensure that he builds and maintains a good relationship with him.
In real life, Davout became fiercely loyal to Napoleon, supporting and fighting for him to the bitter end.

[X] Agree
At the very least, placate them and agree with them in person. No need to unnecessarily antagonise them, like for example declaring that "women should stick to knitting."

[X] Talk tactics with some of the generals
Ultimately, what will affect Napoleon's future most is his military accomplishments. He should focus mainly on that.

The meeting with Danton and the other revolutionary leaders…that was terrifying. Had Napoleon said one wrong word, or made one wrong gesture or movement…

I'm going to enjoy reviewing this chapter in full.

[X] Partially Agree: Ultimately, you believe that women are inherently equal or nearly equal to men in intellect. That said, you doubt society is ready for such a radical change as full equality.

[X] Make small talk with someone (Small Charm Boost)

We need to see how Davout is doing after he failed to stop Dumoriez. As for woman, partially agree. Now is not the time to push for significant change. Especially, since there is a tension between three factions. Doubt they can pass any law and the convention will probably in a gridlock. Napoleon is lancking Charm so we need to fix that.

Back