Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by HalfTangible on Mar 30, 2023 at 9:15 PM, finished with 44 posts and 25 votes.

Okay, so, due to circumstances that are entirely my fault beyond my control/ability to fix at the moment, I'm unable to work on the current update for a time. And in that time I've been considering my plans for the 2nd primarch. Specifically, I'm wondering if I should do his quest at the same time as Sun-Sin's, so I can cover both lost primarchs without having to either make one of them take a break or rush through the second primarch's creation.

Or if I'm inviting myself into hitting burnout by doing two of these at once on top of my current writing projects and job hunting, and my time and energy might be better served by just making the second lost primarch up when he shows up in the first's story (unlikely in the current quest thread but he definitely will once we move on to the second entry in these quests), or starting this quest's sequel from his perspective before moving into what I have planned for him and Sun-Sin going forward.

What do you guys think?

I think you should focus on this quest, for now. If you feel you have enough time in the future and do it. Then start 2nd.

If you're concerned about burnout, I suggest doubling the target time between updates, and then simply alternating instead of trying to run two quests fully.

As to whether or not starting the next quest at all is a good idea... I'm completely unhelpful. I've seen it help and hinder different writers, and don't really have any idea which way a given writer will go.

Two quests at the same time is extremely likely to lead to burnout.

Unless one of them is firmly 'second place' for updates.

In my experience at least, you get an initial boost from working on the new project, and then it starts to fade away as you get less excited after the initial burst and then all the problems of working on two things at once come into play (like the fact that you're working on two things at once). If you think you could handle it, go for it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

From my experience running 2 different quests at once typically ends up with either both of them dying sooner or later, or, the 1st quest being abandoned in place of the 2nd quest the author started to to motivate them to continue the 1st quest. I'm not saying don't do it but make sure you have a concrete plan for how you alternate updates. The QM's I've seen that successfully run multiple quests have a a schedule for alternating.

I'd say just focus on this quest, let us meet with our total mystery of a brother when we actually get to him.

2nd primarch
Okay, thank you all for your input (both here and elsewhere). For the moment, at least, I'm going to wait on the 2nd primarch*. When we're done with this quest, I'll ask again if I should do our doctor brother in his own quest first or have him join us for Sun-Sin's sequel.

Current thoughts regarding that:
1) This quest
2) 2nd primarch quest (optional atm)
3) The Great Crusade (in particular, the Rangdan Xenocides. I am looking forward to that.)

And if we make it through 3 without getting erased, we'll move on to the Heresy.

-

*Did I do the eleventh first just so I could call our other lost brother the 2nd and have it be a pun? Why yes, yes I did.

(in particular, the Rangdan Xenocides. I am looking forward to that.)
I've always been interested in the Rangdan, the power they would have to bring to bear to earn such erasure must be stunning.

That and having an actual physical depiction of them beyond what rumors and secrets we do have will be great.

I for one cant wait to raze their worlds to the ground and steal all their valuables (and ships!). Maybe we can make friends with magnus by capturing cultural artifacts (with minimal singeing) and handing them off to Prospero.

I think it might be fun as a Quest, if it takes a different rote then this quest. Maybe more warp focused.
Sun-Sin's quest focuses a lot on his homeworld and the people he knew on it, so I thought I'd start 2nd closer to when Big E or one of his brothers shows up. Get more of a focus on the 2nd legion, the crusade, and his relationship with the Imperium over his home.

Which is kind of ironic in hindsight given Sun-Sin has ended up as the naval primarch and 2nd will be more of a medic, you'd think it'd go the other way around, but w/e xD

Sun-Sin's quest focuses a lot on his homeworld and the people he knew on it, so I thought I'd start 2nd closer to when Big E or one of his brothers shows up. Get more of a focus on the 2nd legion, the crusade, and his relationship with the Imperium over his home.
Fair enough, I just don't think Magnus was the only one who had active powers. As well as the fact, I hope we could get some warp metaphysical stuff. But I love a good look at how narrative and warp relate / interact.

Last edited:
He wasn't, he was just the only one that openly admitted and accepted them as an aspect of himself. The others either didn't acknowledge them, hid them, or actively claimed they were something else.

The Primarchs are one and all master crafts of psychic engineering, to the point that they one and all, whether they use their powers or not, extremely powerful psykers.

Honestly their general ignorance of what they were and how they functioned is one of the most damning arguments for the idea that Emps never meant them to last. Not telling your spawn how they function is pretty sketch.

Back