Ork freebootahs, Drukhari raiders, soon to be human pirates... at this point the only thing we're missing is Aeldari corsairs (because I don't think the mean pretty lady from earlier would like us lumping her in with them). Unless I'm forgetting some faction from the setting.

Renegade Space Marines, but those don't exist yet, at least in sufficient quantities.

@HalfTangible
Inspiration hit for a second time but didn't want to double post.
[X] – [Problem] Ork Raid

[X] -[Problem] Rangdan Slave Scout Raid
"Sun Sin and his Legion would eventually be known as either the Purged or the Forgotten, so thorough would he and his sons be scoured from the history books and memories that there would be only fleeting mention of an existence of the 11th Legion. However, one of the few surviving documents that bear their deeds would mention their involvement in a conflict known as the Rangdan Xenocides. This is the first time Sun Sin would face, if not the vile xenos themselves, then their slaves on the battlefield."

Last edited:
"Sun Sin and his Legion would eventually be known as either the Purged or the Forgotten, so thorough would he and his sons be scoured from the history books and memories that there would be only fleeting mention of an existence of the 11th Legion. However, one of the few surviving documents that bear their deeds would mention their involvement in a conflict known as the Rangdan Xenocides. This is the first time Sun Sin would face, if not the vile xenos themselves, then their slaves on the battlefield."

Hm. Also an interesting idea... Especially if we want to go for the Purged ending.

[X] – [Focus] The ship
[X] – [Recruit] Yes
-[X] Tell the crew to be specific in those they try to recruit; those that are unhappy with their lot, those that want adventure or opportunity, or those that simply want off the shrine.
[X] – [Problem] Knights attack
[X] – [Problem] Ork Raid

Loot for some knights of our own.

Last edited:
As a longtime Ork Rival supporter I've changed my vote. I was gonna make a whole post trying to persuade other people to do the same but at the end of the day I think the advantage is so simple It's already been spoken of pretty thoroughly. That advantage being it would be fucking awesome, of course.

Imagine it! In the grand chaos of the 30th millennium, endless crusades have worn away the galaxy into an endless slog of strategic campaigns and infantry battles. But in the dark nothingness of the void, the greatest and most awesome battles occur! Pirate Elves vs Pirate Orks vs Pirate Space Marines! Led by their fearless champions, Primarch Sun-Sin and his (currently unnamed) archrivals!

Come on guys, you see how this has to happen right!? The Warhammer aesthetics demand it!

Last edited:
Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by HalfTangible on Mar 15, 2023 at 11:53 PM, finished with 39 posts and 22 votes.

• [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Problem] Drukhari raid
    [X] – [Focus] The Knight Daimyo
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    -[X] Tell the crew to be specific in those they try to recruit; those that are unhappy with their lot, those that want adventure or opportunity, or those that simply want off the shrine.
    [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] No
    [X] – [Problem] Pirate raid
    [X] – [Focus] The Knight Daimyo
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Problem] Ork Raid
    [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Problem] Ork Raid
    [X] – [Focus] Their defenses
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Problem] Ork Raid
    [X] – [Focus] The ship
    [X] – [Recruit] Yes
    [X] – [Problem] Ork Raid

Shame. Skeleton pirates are such a popular trope, i was sure GW would have made a Necron dinasty around that theme already.
...you know, we could just design one.

Maybe there was a Necrontyr that made a name for themselves raiding world under the Old One's Agis, striking then retreating before anyone could counterattack.

Could work nicely. I don't think Necron tomb worlds are very active at this point in time but a few could have opened early and I know a few Lords have been awake all (or most) of the time?

Could work nicely. I don't think Necron tomb worlds are very active at this point in time but a few could have opened early and I know a few Lords have been awake all (or most) of the time?
A pirate Necron probably is one of the prime candidates for an early awakening, come to think of it.

Last edited:
Found this on the wiki, relevant:
Warhammer 40K Wiki said:
Though nominally a Tomb World, Trantis is, in truth, but a Necron fringeworld, and the satellite of the much larger and resource-rich Imperial world of Mandal.

Since revival, the Necrons of Trantis have been a terror on Mandal's Human farming and mining communities. Striking always in the hours of darkness, low-flying squadrons of Night Scythes flit over the landscape, deploying small forces of Necron raiders to plunder and pillage.

It is not uncommon for entire Human settlements to be overwhelmed and harvested within a single night with only a large and barren crater to show where people once lived and worked.

Mandal's communes are so far apart that whole solar days can pass before a disappearance is noted, and certainly too distant for help to be dispatched once a raid begins.

The inhabitants of Mandal have thus learnt to dread the onset of dusk. As darkness descends, a curfew begins, blast doors are sealed and sentries set. Yet every few nights another Human settlement vanishes without warning and without trace.

HA! Look who I've found, just a page over the last...
Warhammer 40K Wiki said:
Thaszar, or Thaszar the Invincible as he prefers to be known, is a Necron Overlord who has become a self-styled Necron pirate king originally of the Sarnekh Dynasty. Exiled from his Tomb World of Zapennec during the War in Heaven to what would eventually become the Imperial colony world of Athonos, he has since awoken in the late 41st Millennium and now leads raids across his region of space after retaking control of Zapennec for himself and naming himself the Phaeron of the Sarnekh Dynasty.
Don't know if you'd want to use this guy in @HalfTangible, but he's proof Pirate Necrons are a thing in-lore!

If not Thazar the Invincible, maybe another of his dynasty that woke up too early and found themselves with some remaining naval assets. It's not like we're stuck to canon on this quest right? :V

Now that I'm thinkning about it, while we would be "The Naval Primarch" the closest any of the others could get to that title would be Jaghatai. The Khan is all about maneuverability and speed and in that one excerpt Fulgrim notes that he does "strange things to his ships". Perhaps a kindred spirit in personal modifications and freedom on the fringes of civilization?

Goodness gracious I can't wait to see what else we can get up to to tell our brothers about. I'm sure Leman would love to hear how we fought an army of the undead and their kraken while sailing through the single nastiest storm this side of the Aquila rift.

All of the primarchs, to one degree or another, have their ships modified to suit their personal tastes. Corvus Corax had an entirely new type of engine developed that would allow his ships to be invisible on auspex. Fulgrim, of course, wanted his ships to be super pretty. Dorn and Pert wanted heavier armor, etc.

How Sun-Sin chooses to specialize his vessels is going to depend a lot on how he chooses to handle being the Naval primarch. Does he prefer boarding operations? Stronger armor and better boarding torpedoes. Want to blow ships out of the void? Stronger Lance batteries and more effective missile guidance systems. Support ground forces after obtaining void superiority? Improved orbit-to-ground weapons systems. Want your fleet to have individual ships that have/do all of the above and work in concert, or do you want each vessel to be capable of a little bit of everything so they can operate independently? It's your Legion, who's gonna tell you no?

I mean Big E could, technically, but he grants his primarchs a lot of latitude so it's pretty unlikely. Unless you start requesting Catheric Bible cannons or Daemonic targeting computers.

As for Thaszar, it occurred to me that 1) he's in exile from his home so he doesn't have to be in the western segmentum whose name escapes me at the moment and I'm at the airport on my phone so I can't check, and 2) I had an idea for how to introduce Necrons early on that would fit for him and improve on my own ideas thematically. (Was gonna just be random necrons but I can use this guy)

And yeah it bugs me that he's waking up 10 millennia early but w/e. I'm gonna get canon wrong and this is a fanwork anyway.

So look forward to that =3

As for Thaszar, it occurred to me that 1) he's in exile from his home so he doesn't have to be in the western segmentum whose name escapes me at the moment and I'm at the airport on my phone so I can't check, and 2) I had an idea for how to introduce Necrons early on that would fit for him and improve on my own ideas thematically. (Was gonna just be random necrons but I can use this guy)

And yeah it bugs me that he's waking up 10 millennia early but w/e. I'm gonna get canon wrong and this is a fanwork anyway.

So look forward to that =3
You can still create your own pirate-necron, if that's what you'd prefer

1) he's in exile from his home so he doesn't have to be in the western segmentum whose name escapes me at the moment and I'm at the airport on my phone so I can't check
Pacificus would be the name.

2) I had an idea for how to introduce Necrons early on that would fit for him and improve on my own ideas thematically
More pirates, YAY!1!

How Sun-Sin chooses to specialize his vessels is going to depend a lot on how he chooses to handle being the Naval primarch. Does he prefer boarding operations? Stronger armor and better boarding torpedoes. Want to blow ships out of the void? Stronger Lance batteries and more effective missile guidance systems. Support ground forces after obtaining void superiority? Improved orbit-to-ground weapons systems. Want your fleet to have individual ships that have/do all of the above and work in concert, or do you want each vessel to be capable of a little bit of everything so they can operate independently? It's your Legion, who's gonna tell you no?
I can't wait for the inevitable intralegion conflict over the direction Sun-Sin is taking them, this is going to be so much fun.

Better gellar fields and warp drives so they can sail and navigate better.
Exactly! All up to what Sun-Sin wants when he gets there.

You can still create your own pirate-necron, if that's what you'd prefer
I could, but in the absence of a better idea than this dude, I choose not to ;)

Pacificus would be the name.

More pirates, YAY!1!

I can't wait for the inevitable intralegion conflict over the direction Sun-Sin is taking them, this is going to be so much fun.
Hehe, glad to hear it!

Back