Voting is open
We have no real reason to, and the Citadel is currently wary of opening new relays and potentially create new fronts.
How wonderful that we are a member of the terminus alliance instead of the council. Also the whole "lets not open Relays because the enemy might be on the other side and there is no chance of the Rachni activating them and popping up without warning in our own systems" is idiotic. We need to find new fronts and hit them hard with surprise raiding fleet.

How wonderful that we are a member of the terminus alliance instead of the council. Also the whole "lets not open Relays because the enemy might be on the other side and there is no chance of the Rachni activating them and popping up without warning in our own systems" is idiotic. We need to find new fronts and hit them hard with surprise raiding fleet.
I'd argue it makes sense, really. opening new fronts means we also need to station fleets to defend them, and we don't have enough to protect all of our current clusters!

...hopefully the new fleet is ready soon...

[X] Don't use the device. If she wants to talk, she can call you. She can't be that sincere if she won't even try a simple call.

I'd argue it makes sense, really. opening new fronts means we also need to station fleets to defend them, and we don't have enough to protect all of our current clusters!

...hopefully the new fleet is ready soon...
Martial: Occupation Patrols

The personnel crimp you noted last year continues, and you're happier than ever that the schools are coming along. Now you just need those damned military academies. Some vessels are starting to enter service in a minor capacity, but it's not decisive yet to the point of allowing you to truly pivot your forces to the front.

It's almost done, but not quite done yet. One year remaining.
The fleet is nearly done, but we are suffering from staffing issues. The Curriculum reviews are half way finished, which will help, but we should probably grab this once an actual turn comes up.

[ ] Military Schools: While your educational system must, first and foremost, be for education, your decision to emphasize skills valuable to the military demands certain investments. One of your current series of test bed schools trains promising candidates for enlisted or officer service starting in mid-to-late adolescence. While your other test beds are closing down now, expand this set and formally adopt it into your school system. Time: 4 years. Cost: -40,000 yearly income. Chance of Success: 80%. Effect: Establish the specialized academies needed to produce trained recruits for the military right at the cusp of adulthood.

I think we should expedite the action so it only takes two years and completes the same time as the Curriculum Review and only 1 year after we incorporate Yulair tech based reactors on our ships. We should also put Mira's personal action on it, as this will define our war effort for decades, and we need every boon we can get.

However, even if we role out Military Academies in two years, it'll still be several more before we can get graduates to lessen the personnel shortage. In the meantime, I propose we double down on a more proactive solution.

[ ] The Commonwealth Call For Aid: Your military strength was one of the things that the Alliance wanted to acquire. However, your obligations have expanded massively just as you've taken significant casualties. Instruct Shereel to bring a proposal before the Council requesting aid for the Commonwealth in reestablishing and expanding its fleets...although the Joint Fleets need to be rebuilt as well. With the support of the Cooperatives, this should be easier to swing, if you focus on it hard. Time: 1 year. Cost: 10,000 credits. Chance of Success: 40%. Effect: Acquire aid for expanding and maintaining your military

We have just finished a shipyard expansion and our occupation fleet is a year from being finished. While Ablative Armor hull reconstruction will keep our shipyards busy for a few years, reaching out to the terminus systems to acquire fleet personnel to man our fleets properly is a solid option for overcoming the current detriments to our war efforts, as well as fostering a sense of cooperation between the joint fleets and Attican Commonwealth by building good relations through second hand familiarity.

There will be other options of course depending on our rolls, and while we might not outright need them now, securing emergency powers to assert priority in the face of heavy losses or preparations for a major offensive is a solid move to give Mira flexibility in handling future Crisis's/Opportunities, as well as speed the incorporation of further technological developments into our ever expanding forces more rapidly.

Given the success threshold and low cost, a double down and Second Personal action would be highly beneficial, and possibly neccessary. Of course, ablative armor and Yulair power technology will be powerful bargaining chips in our negotiations.

Hmm. Thinking on it further, timing a trip to discuss military aid from the terminus Alliance the same time as we role to establish our military academies, with Mira participating in both actions, could result in a domino effect that results in a far better outcome and options than if we did the two separately.

Last edited:
I think we should expedite the action so it only takes two years and completes the same time as the Curriculum Review and only 1 year after we incorporate Yulair tech based reactors on our ships. We should also put Mira's personal action on it, as this will define our war effort for decades, and we need every boon we can get.

However, even if we role out Military Academies in two years, it'll still be several more before we can get graduates to lessen the personnel shortage. In the meantime, I propose we double down on a more proactive solution.

not necessarily. Salarians grow and learn very quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Salarian class only took 2 years.

Volus/Batarian/Asari classes will likely take longer, though I'm unsure about how Asari school would work...

Another thing to keep in mind when we assign the "bonuses" (hero units, Mira, double down...) is that... I'd have to check the rules, but I think it was mentioned that a success twice above the DC had a chance of unlocking new heroes?

actually, let me check...

Hero units are individuals specialized within a given area of a given field -- thus, a Martial hero might be an Army officer, as opposed to a, "general Martial expert," in the way advisers are. For every action you take relating to a hero's area of specialty, I roll against twice the option's DC, with no bonus. If that check passes, the hero applies their full relevant stat to the main roll for the option in addition to personal or adviser bonuses. Heroes can appear multiple times in a year with no penalties.

ah, no, the double DC thing was about them acting on their initiative. And it basically means that for <50DC there's a chance of them adding their bonuses, going higher the lower the DC is (DC 10 = 80% of them acting, DC 30 = 40% of them acting, and presumably a nat 100 might always have a relevant hero intervene...)

You acquire heroes through critical successes, and heroes come in different levels based on the kind of critical success. Not every critical success will result in a hero unit. A regular critical success, if it yields a hero unit, yields a Taylor-class hero unit. Named for the singularly unimpressive cheating bastard Jacob Taylor, this hero unit does one thing very well, or two things acceptably. This is the kind of person who can make or break a project. The next step up, received from greater critical successes, is Anderson-class, for Captain Anderson in his prime. Andersons can do a couple of things quite well, or spread out and become generalists in several fields. The next level is Normandy-class, describing the capabilities of non-Taylor Normandy crew members and attained from Ultimate Critical Successes. These are people who can change the course of a civilization from the right spot. They have multiple excellent stats, and very few if any poor ones. Finally, there is Shepard-class, resulting only from a Natural Critical Success. They are bad at nothing, and probably really good at everything. These are the kind of people who change the galaxy from a standing start.

THIS was how we unlock new heroes. I don't quite remember all the categories of crits, though I remember Natural Critical Successes being nat 100 (though it might also have required passing the DC by at least a certain amount...)

Given the success threshold and low cost, a double down and Second Personal action would be highly beneficial, and possibly neccessary. Of course, ablative armor and Yulair power technology will be powerful bargaining chips in our negotiations.
I remember yulair power tech, but when/how did we develop ablative armour beyond the standard?

I remember yulair power tech, but when/how did we develop ablative armour beyond the standard?
It was a recent research success. I believe we adapted it from the combat mechs?

[ ] Armor Developments: One of the researchers in the Prothean site on Amalinya had the mad idea to reconstruct one of the combat drones and activate it. After a running gun battle that you're given to understand involved three researchers, a university student there on an internship, and four members of the security team, they lured the drone into the facility's power core, where they proceeded to vent heat into the chamber until the drone melted. You're fuzzy on how, but this process apparently gave the intern some insights on the drone's armor material -- some form of ablative compound. The research team agrees, has offered her a permanent position after graduation, and their proposal has apparently found widespread approval and reached your desk. What is wrong with these people? Time 1 year. Cost: 62,000 credits. Chance of Success: 60%. Effect: Practical ablative armor principles (starts at dreadnought-scale).

A practical ablative armor representing an improvement on your present armor schemes is now available, and your next classes of battlecruiser and dreadnought will feature it. More ships will unlock the armor as your engineers improve on the concept. -62,000 credits.

Yeah, it's prothean combat drone armor we figured out the concepts two during a crazy scientist shenanigan roll. We completed it last turn, which apparently complicates the power distribution issues of our Yulair Ship Reactors further.

It's only good for dreadnoughts and battle cruisers right now, but we can definitely leverage it for some military support.

not necessarily. Salarians grow and learn very quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Salarian class only took 2 years.

Volus/Batarian/Asari classes will likely take longer, though I'm unsure about how Asari school would work...
Thats still four years, during which we will have further ships built, and a single species worth of graduates will not have a significant enough impact on our military personnel turnover, especially with our spy training program also snapping up promising Salarians. I put it at 6 years, because I assume we'll start building another raider fleet within 4 turns. I'd rather take the fight back to the Rachni before that, and the diplomacy move to get the terminus system to supply us with capable fleet personnel and fleet reserves to call on could see us do it in 3 years instead.

Last edited:
Refresher On QM Habits
As a general note, posted between all of my quests:

It's been quite the long hiatus! As it's in the process of ending, I feel it only wise to post a general reminder of how I do things, QM-wise.
  1. I like writing character drama. Yes, 75% of my quests have been army management or nation quests. You're still getting character drama. Shit's fun.
    1. This goes double for those folks who follow the other 25%, where I wrote an actual character-centric quest focused around an entire society of people who are as a personality type congenitally and helplessly messy. It's about Dragon Ball, y'all knew what you were walking into. :D
    2. In terms of practical impacts, this means you are much better served asking what the characters as they've behaved to date would do in the situation presented than you are asking what the logical next plot point would be. I set up worlds with lots of actors in them and chuck them into the arena to bounce off of one another. There is no plot save what the characters create.
  2. Here's the big one. I am Lawful Evil. I believe in being scrupulously fair about how I go about things, but I am interested in drama and conflict in my quests, and I will mess with y'all in the pursuit of that within the rules I set out for myself.
    1. Your perspective is limited. You view the world by way of your viewpoint character. The information you get is accurate, but only to the extent that the viewpoint character perceives it. Statements made as a part of narration reflect the viewpoint character's perspective, and not the objective nature of reality. In addition, just because you get a non-PC perspective doesn't mean you get everything that viewpoint character experienced. Anything you see on-screen is true as above, but here more than anywhere, if something happened, and for whatever reason the PC wouldn't have direct knowledge of it (due to concealment or absence), I might simply omit it. That's not to say that non-PC perspectives are intrinsically suspect, but neither should you take them as quite as ironclad as a proper PC-centric update. All narrators are unreliable by default, and veterans of my quests can tell you that I will slip things through gaps in perspective.
    2. This does extend to me toying with mechanics; I'm not going to cheat you -- the result is the result -- but I'm more than willing to mess with what is reported to you. If your friend has an immensely successful time at a baking championship but they think a hard-won struggle would impress you more, then the DC you are told they were checking against might be significantly higher than was actually the case. Of course, the discrepancy is yours to notice with any other information you might have.
  3. I try my best not to mess with how a vote is going to turn out; if I'm giving you information that wasn't in the update, it's because it's something the viewpoint character genuinely would have known and factored into their decision, not because I've decided that I want another vote to win. It's not interesting to cheat like that; I'm not here to write fanfic, I'm here to run a quest.
  4. If I've made a mistake in the past with a QM ruling and in the present find that I have cause to regret it on the grounds that it hurts my ability to run the game to either my enjoyment or the players', I reserve the right to correct my mistake. The point of the game is always how it runs now, and not building a consistent set of case law in my statements.
See y'all around the thread, folks. :D

Vote's Closed!

Let's see who won!

Vote Tally : Terminus Quest: A CKII Mass Effect Quest Sci-Fi | Page 1157 | Sufficient Velocity [Posts: 28925-29025]
##### NetTally 2.2.4

[X] Use the device. Let's see what this woman has in mind.
No. of Votes: 33
[X] Woltaire
[X] agumentic
[X] carterhall
[X] CedeTheBees
[X] Cute Princess
[X] DarknessSmiles
[X] fanficfan
[X] FantasticMsFox
[X] Fireiy
[x] flotter
[X] Gamefreak1ed
[X] GerPN76
[X] Karnax626
[X] kelgar04
[X] KnightDisciple
[X] lancelot
[X] mayboro
[X] Nate700
[X] Nightlord256
[X] Oshha
[X] Petrichor
[X] Pittauro
[X] RandyTrevelyan
[X] Rivenscryr
[X] Silvereagle21
[X] TaliesinSkye
[X] Thanatosra
[X] The Meddler
[X] Thors_Alumni
[X] Travler66
[X] UniqueName
[X] Versharl
[X] Yatr

[X] Don't use the device. If she wants to talk, she can call you. She can't be that sincere if she won't even try a simple call.
No. of Votes: 12
[X] ConfusedCanuck
[X] 10moorem II
[X] Alexander Sturnn
[X] Angelform
[X] buli-buli
[X] chellewalker
[X] HanEmpire
[x] Makie
[X] Shaseyu
[X] Some_guy_161
[X] Thorgon
[X] Void Stalker

[X] Destroy the device. Call it paranoia, call it spite. Fuck her.
No. of Votes: 1
[X] Arsene Lupin

Total No. of Voters: 46

And making the call is the clear winner, beating out the next contender by 21 votes, a clear majority! I'll start writing now.

See y'all around!

Give me a battle roll.

This does extend to me toying with mechanics; I'm not going to cheat you -- the result is the result -- but I'm more than willing to mess with what is reported to you. If your friend has an immensely successful time at a baking championship but they think a hard-won struggle would impress you more, then the DC you are told they were checking against might be significantly higher than was actually the case. Of course, the discrepancy is yours to notice with any other information you might have.
So what does this mean for a nation quest though? If DCs can be misrepresented, then by default that means results are misrepresented too. If an action is only a DC 20 while the the advisor reports a 40, that's a difference of 20. How does failure get represented? Or success?

As a basic example, if your advisor is reporting that something is twice as hard as it needs to be, then what is happening is likely some form of corruption or embezzling; historically, the thread tends to double down for DCs that high, and that's a lot of money being thrown around in the expectation of some loss from inefficiency for somebody to skim from.

Whether or not you heard about this would depend on how robust your government is along these lines. What would actually happen is that the success or failure of the option would depend on the actual DC, not the listed one. There's some room there for the players to suss out that something is wrong; if you only roll two over the reported DC but what I am writing is very obviously a full success rather than a Slim, then y'all can put together that something probably isn't right here.

This particular case would be more of an issue if you were working with a cabinet less personally loyal to you, though. Mira has a pretty unassailable grip over the functions of government, and this case in particular is not one I would advise you all to really look for until or unless the makeup of government changes significantly.

If it was a viable example, and we noticed it, and mentioned such in thread, would we be given an action to look into things and potentially deal with said corruption?

If it was a viable example, and we noticed it, and mentioned such in thread, would we be given an action to look into things and potentially deal with said corruption?
I will note that I'm confident Poptart would be able to avoid the obvious abuse case where we go around saying "I wonder if our advisor is scamming us" on every hard action we have.

Because that would be sort of like the stereotypical foolish D&D player who yells "I disbelieve the illusion!" at everything he encounters in hopes of getting a saving throw of the dice to resist any actual illusions. For a Lawful Evil DM, the obvious response is to have the character repeatedly smack into traps and damn near get their head torn off by monsters. Monsters and traps the character didn't respond to competently because they didn't really acknowledge that they were real. :p

I will note that I'm confident Poptart would be able to avoid the obvious abuse case where we go around saying "I wonder if our advisor is scamming us" on every hard action we have.

Because that would be sort of like the stereotypical foolish D&D player who yells "I disbelieve the illusion!" at everything he encounters in hopes of getting a saving throw of the dice to resist any actual illusions. For a Lawful Evil DM, the obvious response is to have the character repeatedly smack into traps and damn near get their head torn off by monsters. Monsters and traps the character didn't respond to competently because they didn't really acknowledge that they were real. :p
The head of government becoming paranoid that none of their advisors can be trusted has never had negative consequences :p

Send Kurik on a long survey/relay push in the direction of there worlds. He'll have something for us within a decade. I'm not sure when precisely there unifications wars ended tho, or when they began, so we might not be getting the unified military power they'll eventually become.
Poptart might correct me, but I'm pretty sure they won't put up with such blatant metagaming. In game, there's no reason why Mira would know that such and such mass relays would lead to two new sapient alien species. More so, since this takes place literally a few decades after some damn fools opened a relay to the Rachni, I can't imagine that anyone within the story is interested in doing that again any time soon.

Poptart might correct me, but I'm pretty sure they won't put up with such blatant metagaming. In game, there's no reason why Mira would know that such and such mass relays would lead to two new sapient alien species. More so, since this takes place literally a few decades after some damn fools opened a relay to the Rachni, I can't imagine that anyone within the story is interested in doing that again any time soon.
we could pick the direction and present it as an arbitrary choice but we would be surveying every star system in that direction rather than looking for alien species, not worth it as it would hinder our own ability to expand and consolidate our territory

Fair point about the meta gaming but Mira has approved activating and exploring what was on the other side of two relays in the past, which ultimately lead to reestablishing contact with the rest of the galaxy. While I agree she'll probably hold off while she develops her the verge, M Sea, Expanse, Sentry, and Attican Beta, it's not something the Commonwealth is as unthinkingly against as the council. Arguably with her preference for raiding fleets finding an alternate path to bypass the Rachni frontlines and sow havoc along there less heavily defended clusters and stretch there forces farther would appeal to Mira. With our occupation patrols finishing following year 36 turn, if we get the fleet personnel and other support necessary thru diplomacy, mira could be striking out at Rachni held space by year 38 or 39. Once they step up their defensive fleets in response it's only a matter of time before Mira seeks an alternate way to bypass there defenses.

Last edited:
Fair point about the meta gaming but Mira has approved activating and exploring what was on the other side of two relays in the past, which ultimately lead to reestablishing contact with the rest of the galaxy. While I agree she'll probably hold off while she develops her the verge, M Sea, Expanse, Sentry, and Attican Beta, it's not something the Commonwealth is as unthinkingly against as the council. Arguably with her preference for raiding fleets finding an alternate path to bypass the Rachni frontlines and sow havoc along there less heavily defended clusters and stretch there forces farther would appeal to Mira. With our occupation patrols finishing following year 36 turn, if we get the fleet personnel and other support necessary thru diplomacy, mira could be striking out at Rachni held space by year 38 or 39. Once they step up their defensive fleets in response it's only a matter of time before Mira seeks an alternate way to bypass there defenses.

There's also something to be said about finding relay paths that either come close to known Rachni territory even if they don't connect fully. We know that due to the nature of warfare Relays tend to be the focal point for defenses, so even if it requires a long circuitous path the option of striking into the interior could be rather valuable. Especially if it's in a system where the Rachni don't have a substantial presence, potentially allowing us to hide our ingress location.

There's also something to be said about finding relay paths that either come close to known Rachni territory even if they don't connect fully. We know that due to the nature of warfare Relays tend to be the focal point for defenses, so even if it requires a long circuitous path the option of striking into the interior could be rather valuable. Especially if it's in a system where the Rachni don't have a substantial presence, potentially allowing us to hide our ingress location.
Counterpoint: any such route goes 2 ways. Unless we're going to demolish them in that confrontation, we'll be left with another route to patrol/defend from

Counterpoint: any such route goes 2 ways. Unless we're going to demolish them in that confrontation, we'll be left with another route to patrol/defend from

Which is why we'd prefer to not have a direct relay connection. Once you start hoping through or past systems outside of the relay network the ability to find exactly where we're coming from will get incredibly more difficult. At that point you're not just searching for activated relays in a region so much at every star system within range. And then having to ask just how far we're willing to travel for an advantage. A few weeks either direction? Months? Surely we wouldn't assign a purely Asari crew just to be able to do multi year trips, right?

I'm not sure about how good the sensor technology is, but there's also the option to try and hide logistical and supply bases for such trips in fully interstellar space. Leaving no trace in any near by systems of active use.

It'd definitely cost a lot to do and then maintain. But that's why it'd be nice to have a low value secondary or tertiary relay somewhere nearby in Rachni space.

Last edited:

If the campaign is literally set up with a co-dm's playing that particular character giving out a hint that the entire party is ensnared by an illusion would that not be a fare comeback? Then again I'm here for the story.

A fully up-to-date map of the galaxy.

Actually, the rachni home cluster is relatively close to two other clusters, both Terminus territory. With undeniably the largest concentration of Rachni production, with there strategic reserve mostly spent and focus clearly being given to maintain build up in their frontline systems, 2 raiding fleets armed with nukes on a suicide run could level much of the rachni's industrial capacity and set them cripple there previously unmatchable production for at least a few years.

Thinking on it further, we could organize a heavy barrage fleet relying on data from a skirmish fleet to send dreadnought slugs at high velocity towards a portion of the rachni homeworld the skirmish fleet has pulled ships away from, allowing temporary majority of power entirely to guns. The skirmish team can fade away while the rachni fleet will be forced to turn around, allowing the skirmish group to escape, and the dreadnoughts can turn and enter pre-determined exit vectors at light speed.

Last edited:
Problem:

Relay paths tend to be thousands of light-years long- even the secondary relay jumps along Kurik's Traverse are hundreds or thousands of light years long.

But FTL ships only have a maximum range on the order of a few dozen light years out from any given relay location, in practice, before they run into problems. Maybe a hundred.

In practice, you are very unlikely to be able to find a relay path that leads close to the cluster of stars an enemy holds about an existing relay, without leading to that relay system itself.

This is to some extent deliberate on the part of the Reapers- they have pushed galactic civilizations onto this development path for a long time, because it makes us relatively easy to herd, channelize, and cut off from one another.

If the campaign is literally set up with a co-dm's playing that particular character giving out a hint that the entire party is ensnared by an illusion would that not be a fare comeback? Then again I'm here for the story.
The QM said this in several different quests, giving an example that was relevant to this quest, while explicitly stating (based on facts we already know) that it was unlikely to be specifically true in this quest right now.

Further note that Mira won't rule the Attican Commonwealth forever. If the game runs a very long time, she'll retire. Even if it doesn't, she may actually lose an election for once, or decide to take a decade or three off to spend some time with her little girl before she grows up to be a centenarian without really knowing her mommy that well, or who knows what. If we'd played our cards wrong, we might already have had Mira knocked out of power... but the game would go on. This advice may yet be relevant.

Voting is open
Back