Voting is open
No switching mid battle. It's like the Persona Roster, meant to be a bit of a limitation.

Vorpal Strike hits at long range and use STR dice.

Narrative trumps mechanics but I need something concrete to work with.

And listen I will try my hardest but a write in that's basically 'do something cool' doesn't give me a whole lot to work with. It's like yelling at somebody to go faster or win harder. It's also a poor way off communicating with a team mate.

Give me specifics or a strategy or a plan or something for me to write around, that's what the write in is for.

Fair enough. Is what I added to my suggestions for Lugh better?

[X] The Cinematic Approach
-[X] Customize your approach
--[X] 'Lugh, I cannot stress this enough, THIS IS A GAME! The HP stat alone invalidates, like, half of what would instantly kill someone IRL! I don't care whatever you did IRL to get so good with guns, but didn't you ever have a fantasy about doing something cool with them? Something you otherwise couldn't do? Well now's the time to try it out! Fancy poses, shooting while diving, stuff like that!'
--[X] Fire Vorpal Bullet in order to cover Lugh in case he gets inspired
--[X] Make a show of brandishing the Procyon and Bahauser in each hand before charging XeXeed in an attempt to channel similar scenes from action movies
--[X] When in effective range of the Bahauser, fire Kouha

[X] The Kashiwazaka Family Secret Technique

I don't think the cinematic approach works because it hinges on Lugh doing a stunt on his own initiative when this entire update establishes that he has no imagination or creativity whatsoever. As a killer for hire he works best when he has an actual gameplan to follow so the Secret Technique is the more cohesive option to me.

At this point I'm wary of any plan that expects either of them to act a certain way but it's not like I have any better ideas.

At this point I'm wary of any plan that expects either of them to act a certain way but it's not like I have any better ideas.
From a pure numbers PoV I think just rushing him from the start might be more advantageous in that it would allow 2 turns for Hiyori to try to land a hit but not only is she more of a bonus damage kind of opportunity in my mind rather than the main DPS of the plan, but I see the whole faking panic and running thing as weaving some narrative in it. Will it work out that way? Not sure, but I felt it was worth a shot.

It also should have the fringe benefit of keeping Hiyori and Lugh apart from one another so that the grenade can't/won't damage them both regardless of rolls, which would be possible if Hiyori attacked at close range (Lugh hiding himself explicitly does not make him immune from widespread damage so splash damage could get him and I don't know if that would count as breaking his cover.) ...If they are widespread. It's not specifically called out as such in the last update but IIRC the grenade launcher was so I just kind of assumed.

If nothing else, making Hiyori a moving target (and Lugh hiding himself to make her the only one XeXeeD can target) along with the "grenades are thrown first, blow up later" and her being erratic (running then charging) makes it more likely they miss entirely I hope.

Last edited:
Vs XeXeeD: Battle -strength- The World's Most Suspicious Newbie [COINS Rank 1]
AN: Sorry, been sick, so updates have been slow. Gonna forewarn update speed will be reducing in the near future, next month has a new Persona game, and the month after that work is ramping up.
-[X] Customize your approach
--[X] "Lugh, it didn't finish him off, but our best hit came when I distracted him and you snuck up on him. Care to try it one last time, with it all on the line?"
--[X] Turn 1: If possible, play up the idea that you're scared and out of ideas to turn the tide. Switch back to the X-CALIBUR and run away from XeXeeD. Cast Tarukaja on Lugh.
--[X] Turn 2: Turn around and charge towards XeXeeD. If possible, reach Armor Magnum effective range and use Kouha (Maneki-Neko). If that is not possible instead use Garu with the X-CALIBUR.
XeXeeD flicks his wrist. All at once, the spheres activate, filling the dark warehouse with the red glow of a dozen LEDs. He flings them forward, laughing as they rain across the battlefield, clattering as they hit the ground and start rolling in a dozen directions.

He's serious. He's going to blow up all of you, the entire warehouse, everything. Anything for the win.

"LUGH! MOVE! NOW!" You cry out, but the advice goes unheeded. Lugh is somehow nowhere to be seen once again.

You have a plan, one that seems tailor-made to escape a mad bomber's final gambit.

You run.

You turn on your feet and dash as far away as you can, trying to create distance between you and the sea of grenades around you. You can't stop all of them, and your priority is to get out of the minefield. If the asshole wants to die then he can do it himself, you want no part of his murder-suicide nonsense.

XeXeeD laughs. "Too slow! GAME SET MATCH!"

A thin, metal box slides across the metal floor, kicking up sparks as it speeds toward you like some high-tech hockey puck. You take but the briefest of moments to study it, confused by its appearance.

And then you realize what XeXeeD is throwing at you just as it explodes under your feet.

«Electromag Stun Trap».

Electricity arcs across the metal floor, the simulated paresthesia flowing through your body like fire, the shock arresting your dash before you've managed to even clear the first 10 meters away from XeXeeD.

You feel every joint lock up, every muscle tense as a lead pipe. Your UI unhelpfully warns you that you've been stunned as if you needed a text reminder for what you feel happening to your body.

The trap's effect seems unceasing.

You cannot move. The electricity propagates through your body, freezing you in place. The stun timer of the UI starts glitching out, the 5-second timer suddenly counting upward instead of downward, icon flashing erratically as its borders expand and shrink. You can't even turn your head to look at XeXeeD, much less raise your gun.

Is it the NPC avatar data? Some vulnerability from being an ArFa? It's such a nonsensical detail to worry about, whether you were made of fictional flesh or fictional metal what did it matter when all damage was rendered in flowing pixels?

Or were you just really just that damn unlucky?

Because XeXeeD nailed you with his stun right in the middle of his minefield.

The first grenade is too far away to do more than disorient.
The second triggers a blastwave that knocks you to the ground.
The third grenade sounds much louder than the previous, the heat searing across your back.
And the fourth? It hasn't exploded. Not yet.

Paralyzed, frozen on the metal floor like some knocked-over statue, it's all you can do to watch the black metal sphere slowly, ponderously roll over to you.

You call forth your Persona, hoping its resistance to electricity will give you some semblance of escape. Your fingers twitch, and with all the speed of a drugged-up sloth your hand slowly, ponderously, crosses the keyboard of your rifle. Your Persona still had a link to Lugh, even if you didn't know where he was. One last power-up, one last hurrah.

One last person to bail you out.

Too slow.
Too weak.

The Plasma Grenade explodes in your face.

Your vision turns an incandescent blue, a violent eruption of light bouncing your limp, defenseless body through the air. You clatter through shelves and boxes, what remains of your HP falling away in chunks with every collision. You collapse against the wall of the warehouse, circuits, and electricity shooting up out of innumerable red voids in your body, the game trying to simultaneously censor the damage while displaying your mechanical body to the world.

And you're on your back once again. Staring up at a ceiling. This one didn't even have to courtesy to have lights.

You hate this. You hate that with all your supposed power, you're still the one on the ground, struggling to beat what to you should've been a warm-up snack. Losing to some idiot who wore sunglasses indoors and thought trolling a pair of newbies was an efficient use of his afternoon.

You've lost before. And someone has been there to pick up the slack.

Sigurd blocking the light magic of the Beast God. Rain calling down steel against a horde you had no hope of conquering. Disarmed, facing down a nascent god, your friends time and time again rose to the occasion.

It's simplicity itself. Surround yourself with allies, with sacrifices.

Shiroe will take charge while you fumble around. Yuuki will pull some power up out of her ass. Lugh was here, he was capable, and you can count on him to have some trump card saved just for this purpose. You're already counting on him.

Someone will rise to the occasion.

Your Shadow will jump in and save you.
ETTEILLA will tempt you with a solution.
Rossa will stand in the way of the sword.

"No, never again..."

You promised yourself that you'd be better, you'll be the one to save others instead of being saved. No more, never again. You will never again be that person who would let others die for your survival. This time, you're the one with power. This time you're the one who stands in the way, you who pushes the victim aside.

"Y-yo, asshole! We've still got a score to settle!"

You push yourself to your feet, the arcs of electricity still jumping across your body. Something feels missing, parts of your body are pocked with glowing red smears, and your legs shake from the effort. Any acrobatics or even dashing was out of the question, but with the Persona you could still move. You could still shoot. Lugh was still counting on you to create an opportunity.

"Oh, don't you worry, I'm not finished with you. Not by a long shot." XeXeeD is still smiling, walking forward through the aftermath of his explosions. The sheer quantity of the explosions has released so much smoke it's almost as if a smoke grenade detonated in the warehouse. "The lil' turd's shuffling around in the shadows somewhere. Fine. Let's end you first."

Despite his words, you see XeXeeD's eyes darting, scanning the room for the faintest hint of nothing through the dark haze of smoke and ash. He's on guard, fingers hovering over the activation button for his grenade, ready to end it all at a moment's notice. First, he kills you, then he self-destructs at the first sign of Lugh's charge— XeXeeD's desire to win manifested in this absurd strategy.

"Hah, looking for Lugh? You won't find him until his knife's up your ass. How does it feel losing against newbies?" Every step towards XeXeeD is laborious, and it takes all your strength to raise your file to hip level, sending a pulse of laser fire at XeXeeD who just lets it dissipate against his barrier.

"Still sticking to that? Tch, look at yourself. You think you're some sort of terminator but you're just a flip phone relic." XeXeeD continues walking closer and closer toward you. "Now don't get me wrong— your little friend is a creepy asshole, but I've seen his like before. Arrogant pricks who think they're all that cause they got some fancy real-world training. But hey, I'm magnanimous, they at least make GGO interesting. Gotta let all those retired soldiers do something while they wait to die. YOU, though?"

It's not an emotion you expect to see on XeXeeD's face. Confidence, bloodlust, maybe even a bit of fear. But you see now in his eyes a hint of disgust.

"Where do I even begin? A hacking cheat. Fake newbie, fake avatar, even a fucking fake gun. You even a player under there? Or you just some runaway AI who decided she could play with the big boys?"

"I bought these guns, you moron. Think an NPC can do that?"

"Hey, sure, maybe you are a person, but what's the difference when everything underneath is worthless? So let me clarify something to you— your hacking, your pay 2 win shit, none of that has any value in here. You have no value. Feel me? GGO's a place where people go to prove themselves. A place where we can have fun. Ever heard of it? It's called a game. Sure, we might take it a bit too seriously from now and then, and I'm certainly no angel..."

With a lazy underhanded throw, XeXeeD sends two more of the jet black grenades flying at you before you can react— not that your stunned body would even be able to dodge in this state.

"... But a hacker like you? Openly flaunting exploits? Spitting in the face of all the hard work of every player? Sticking your fucking face into something you don't understand just to get some cheap thrills!? Someone like that is truly revolting."

You watch the grenades sail through the air. They're slightly of center, unlikely to be direct hits, but more than close enough to shave off the last remnants of your HP.

And then you see something that makes your heart stop.

Because around the smooth spherical surface of the grenade, the reflection of two eyes, pale white tinged with a ring of red. Just as quickly it's replaced by the outline of a drawn knife, reflected in the curve of the sphere.

Without breaking stride Lugh leaps through the clouds of dark smoke billowing through the warehouse, diving underneath shelves and skidding across the ground just barely low enough to avoid XeXeeD's gaze. This time he isn't aiming for fatal points that don't exist, not naïve enough to do the same trick twice.

"From above!? No, you sneaky son of a—"

That's all XeXeeD manages to say before Lugh form dives through his spread legs, cutting across his hamstrings in a fraction of a second, blades ripping through XeXeeD's legs with superhuman strength— armor and all. XeXeeD's eyes widen as his legs release twin sprays of pixels, instantly crumpling to the ground like a sack of rice. With the carnage behind him, Lugh calmly rolls across the floor and onto his feet like some sort of acrobatic ninja, knife out and ready for a second strike.

"Vital points aren't fully simulated, but the same can't be said for muscle and tendons. It appears GGO does have some respect for human anatomy." Lugh states like he just completed an experiment rather than instantly disabling GGO's self-described strongest player.

"No! NOT TO YOU FUCKERS!" XeXeeD screams out, frantically reaching for the plasma bombs he launched at you, almost trying to will them to detonate early.

Lugh simply kicks both of them away.

Never one to lose, even now, XeXeeD draws a pistol, barely able to keep it steady from the disorientation of the fall. You can see in his panicked red face that his finger hovers dangerously over the trigger, that he'd empty the clip with a manic burst without a moment's thought.

Lugh simply shoots the gun out of his hand.

You call upon your Persona just as XeXeeD drops his weapon, sending a blast of wind screaming through the air. Lugh just stands still, letting the few poorly aimed bullets XeXeeD managed to fire pass by him.

System Call: Generate Aerial Element. Form Element, Bullet shape. Fly straight. Discharge.

The green burst of laser fire smashes into XeXeeD, arguably one of the few clean hits you've managed on him this whole match without resorting to some trick. With some surprise the moment the wind-infused light strikes the yellow optical barrier, the object strobes for the briefest of seconds before the barrier shatters into a thousand pieces. Too late to make a difference now, but a fact worth noting for later.

"Hahahaha, and you can break optical barriers too? Why didn't you open with that little move, or is sandbagging another way or lording your oh so special hacks over us?" XeXeeD's voice, already gratingly nasal and filled with malice, isn't helped by the addition of his laughter. He slumps over, hand pawing into a pocket for one final, gambit one final desperation...

Only to pull out a pair of sunglasses, which he affixes to his head without a hint of irony.

It was an admission. That though his avatar was still alive, XeXeeD was well and truly defeated.

Still affected by the stun trap, barely able to budge even the slightest, you still manage to glare into XeXeeD's dumb indoor sunglasses. "You started this. You attacked us for no reason."

"Heh... no reason...? So fuckin' what? That's what we do in GGO. It's called PvP, trolling, newbie hunting, whatever. There's good credits to be made from reselling avatars. So what if I threatened you? What the hell does it cost you!? A fuckin' reroll?"

"So it wasn't for any good reason at all," Lugh says in a flat voice. "You claim an interest in playing a competitive game yet you attack my associate for using her talents against you. I fail to see how you are any different, using your resources to demand tribute from those who lack the resources to fight back. You are using your game as a venue for harassment."

XeXeeD tries to move, only to be brought low once again by the severed legs. "And I say again: so fucking what!? I signed the same ToS as you assholes did. I bend the rules but I stay within them. But what, disabling optical shields!? Magic bullets!? Avatars that don't even allow for proper bullet circle lock-on!? All shit you pulled out of your cheating ass. This fight, this little scuffle, it didn't mean anything! But you couldn't even respect GGO enough to even fight me honestly!"

"You have infinitely more stats than we do! How the fuck is that an honest fight!?"

"I'm using what the game is designed to do! Your own damn fault for picking a fight you know shouldn't have!" XeXeeD takes a breath, settling slightly on the dusty floor. "Fucking hell. First 『 』and their endless parade of bullshit. Then some fucker «Death Gun» ambushes Usujio, and now you jokers. GGO's really gone to shit if ZASKAR's gonna keep letting these exploits happen..."

It was meant as an under the breath comment, just an aside thrown out in frustration. But something you recognize. Enough that one particular word stuck out to you.

You fix him with a bitter, steely gaze. "Excuse me? Would you please repeat that?"

"Repeat wh—"

"Usujio... and «Death Gun»?"

You see the shift in XeXeeD. A moment of hesitation, before a resigned laugh. "What, you gonna ambush Usujio too? Good luck, guy hasn't been on in ages and even if he was he won't give you half the fight I just—"

"Can you shut up about yourself for one second!?" You snap, drawing a concerned look from Lugh.

"Kuro, shall we end this?"

"Not yet. I have some questions."

"And I have no answers for you," XeXeeD snarls, "Now kill me and get the fuck out of my face."

"What. Happened. With. Usujio!?" You focus your glare squarely on XeXeeD, who stares back with equal intensity. Was this really the time to push this? Lugh was here, and as helpful as he has been you're not sure about exposing your real job to a boy you've known for all of one day.

"You really wanna know? Usujio was last seen at your mom's house—"

You fire your gun, a pulse of laser fire landing just millimeters from XeXeeD's head, scorching a rough circle into the ground. "ANSWER ME!"

"Oooh, scary. I could die of fright right now," XeXeed laughs, the slight shift of his sunglasses suggesting some mach speed eye-rolling underneath them. "Deal was you win, I leave you alone. See? I lost, so this is me leaving you the fuck alone. I ain't telling you shit."

Argh, damn it! You put down the gun, flexing your other hand into a fist. There's no point, it's not like you have anything on this guy. If he wanted to be obstructive just because his pride was injured, you can't stop him.

This is your first lead. Who knows when you're going to get your next one? You need to do something... but what weapons did you have? The truth? A masterful lie? Rip the knowledge from his mind with your Persona?

Or... threaten him with something you know will hurt him?

Initiative:
XeXeeD: 6 + 3 AGI = 9
Kuro: 1 + 3 AGI = 4
Lugh: 3 + 3 AGI + 2 RD = 8

XeXeeD advances TWO UNITS! Throws a STUNMAG GRENADE at Kuro. This is a STATUS grenade.
XeXeeD rolls 4d6e5 = 6⊕ 1 5⊕ 5⊕ → 3 successes against 5
Kuro resist rolls 3d6e5 = 3 1 1 → 0 successes against 5
Kuro is subjected to BIND!
Lugh vanishes! Lugh moves behind XeXeeD!

Kuro casts Tarukaja on Lugh!

XeXeeD invokes his Combat Trick!
XeXeeD throws a PLASMA GRENADE! This moves to top of initiative.
Can Kuro dodge? No, Kuro is bound.
Can Lugh dodge? Yes, Lugh is invisible and has movement to spare.
3 accuracy + 5 str - 1 laser girl + 2 No Sunglasses
XeXeeD rolls 9d6e5 = 3 2 3 5⊕ 5⊕ 4 5⊕ 1 3 → 3 successes against 5
Kuro resists with VIT 3 + Mithras VIT 3 + 1 Armor
Kuro rolls 7d6e5 = 6⊕ 1 3 5⊕ 3 4 3 → 2 successes against 5
Kuro takes 1 + 3 [Plasma Grenade] = 4 PLASMA damage!
[ ][ ][K][X][L][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Turn 02

XeXeeD throws a PLASMA GRENADE!
Kuro cannot dodge.
XeXeeD rolls 9d6e5 = 4 3 2 1 2 3 5⊕ 2 2 → 1 success against 5
Kuro rolls 7d6e5 = 2 4 2 2 1 6⊕ 1 → 1 success against 5
No damage
Lugh attacks!
3 Accuracy + 2 Tarukaja + 2 STR + 2 Real Deal = 9
ADVANTAGE due to trait!
Lugh rolls 9d6e4 = 5⊕ 1 4⊕ 2 3 3 1 5⊕ 5⊕ → 4 successes against 4
XeXeeD rolls 3d6e5 = 6⊕ 3 2 → 1 success against 5
XeXeeD takes 3 Slash + 3 [Assassinate] = 6 SLASH damage!
Kuro tires to shake off the bind! Kuro rolls 3d6e6 = 1 1 1 → 0 successes against 6
Kuro invokes OVERLOAD and Garu!
Weakness Discovered!
You are within melee range! Range Disadvantage!
4 Accuracy + 1 Laser girl + MAG 2+ Mithras MAG 3
Kuro rolls 10d6e5 = 6⊕ 2 6⊕ 1 3 1 2 6⊕ 2 5⊕ → 4 successes against 5
Due to Overload XeXeeD cannot use 2 points of optical shield!
XeXeeD rolls 8d6e5 = 5⊕ 1 5⊕ 3 4 6⊕ 4 4 → 3 successes against 5
XeXeeD takes 1 WIND damage! Weakness found! XeXeeD's passives are disabled!
Optical Barrier cannot reduce the damage as it is disabled!

XeXeeD is down to 1 health!

Final quick draw initiative roll!

XeXeeD tries to desperately fire his sidearm!
XeXeeD: 1 + 3 AGI = 4
Kuro: 1 + 3 AGI = 4
Lugh: 3 + 3 AGI + 2 RD = 8

Lugh goes first and disarms XeXeeD, ending the combat!

How do you deal with XeXeeD?

[ ] Sayonara. May we never meet again.
Execute XeXeeD and end the fight.
Gain ¥10000!
Loot 1d6 (Roll result = 6); 6 MISTCOIN off XeXeeD's body!

[ ] I don't care what you think. This is important you arrogant windbag. I will be seeking you out. So shut up and give me your contact info. [You have enough GRIT for this option.]
Allow XeXeeD to walk away.
You will demand his contact info, allowing you to follow up on this lead at the cost of future actions.
Gain ¥10000!

[ ] Your friend Usujio? He's dead. And I'm trying to find the culprit. What, don't believe me? You're talking to a government intern. [You have enough EMPATHY for this option.]
Tell XeXeeD the truth. You will need to invoke backup from Kikuoka. Exposes your investigation job as well as your connection to the government to Lugh.
XeXeeD's opinion of you will increase from Utter Trash to Reluctant Acquaintance.
XeXeeD will tell you all he knows.
XeXeeD believes that as you are a government employee giving you money is unjust taxation, thus he refuses to pay you.

[ ] He's hostile. He won't believe any of your lies. But that's fine. You'll just need to lie bigger. [You lack the MASK for this option. 10D to take anyways.]
Convince XeXeeD that you are, in fact, an NPC created by Zaskar to investigate accusations of hacking most foul, and that all your abilities were from GM tools lent to you. Exposes only that you are investigating VR Murders to Lugh.
XeXeeD's opinion of you will increase from Utter Trash to Scary ZASKAR Lady.
Also convince XeXeeD that if he exposes anything you'll ensure his account gets banned.
XeXeeD believes that as you work for ZASKAR giving you money is like, rather unnecessary.

[ ] You've never done this before. But right now you need answers, and you'll get it out of XeXeeD's mouth with or without his permission. [Invoke Urvashi and CHARM XeXeeD]
No need to roll, you are in a position to chain cast until you succeed.
You have no way of permanently Charming an entity. XeXeeD will remember being mind controlled.
XeXeeD opinion of you will decrease from Utter Trash to Enemy of Humanity.
Gain ¥10000!

[ ] It's just... a feeling. But you've learned to trust in those feelings. Pull out the Type 54 and threaten XeXeeD with it. You know it can hurt him. You will get answers.
Threatening a fellow human with bodily harm is against your character! It is not, however, against the character of the «Real Deal».
XeXeeD will quit GGO.
Gain ¥10000!

[ ] Write-In!
XeXeeD, being an asshole, will look for any excuse to not pay you!
DETERMINATION costs if you are doing something truly crazy.
Lugh is willing to assist you, though he doubts he alone can intimidate XeXeeD enough on his own, what with avatars being immortal.

MONDAY - 201 CYCLES POST STARFALL
2000 Glocken Standard Time

The first thing you notice after leaving the instance is the sizeable crowd that has formed around the city center.

The second thing is the giant floating banner, helpfully proclaiming to the whole world...

<WINNER: Kuro and Lugh!>

You're briefly struck with an intense worry that your fight may have been broadcasted, but when the first player ran up and asked how you pulled it off you're quickly reassured that at least the details of XeXeeD's defeat remained in the realm of secrets.

With one silent exchange with Lugh you push past the crowd, this time no braggarts interrupting to challenge you. The only sort of talk in the air is all the speculation about what your build was, your strange status, and muttered words that XeXeeD wasn't even using his main build against you.

It grates on you that, despite everything, XeXeeD never technically went all out against you. But it's not like you went all out on him either; trying to decide what level of force was appropriate when fighting regular players wasn't something you've had to worry about since the tournament in ALO.

"Haha, what a surprise. It seems you're more than talk, Kuro. Now if you want some privacy, the bar has private booths."

A teasing voice whispers in your ear, startling you as a soft voice brushes up against you. Without even turning around you can guess who it belongs to.

"Itsuki, I'm not in the mood for you right now." The boy has been nothing but helpful to you, yet something about him just feels so off, that you can't help but treat him with hostility.

"Ah, you wound me! While I would love to join you, I'm afraid I still need to talk with our favorite runner-up. I suspect after his loss he'll be more amenable to listening to me. But you just had a big battle, why don't you take a few minutes to wind down before logging off? It'll do you some good."

"I'll consider it," You say, as Itsuki passes you by like he wasn't just loitering around waiting for you to step out of the duel. A little time to unwind... could do you some good, after the god-awful week you've subjected yourself too...

MONDAY - 201 CYCLES POST STARFALL
2000 Glocken Standard Time

"So did you get what you wanted?"

The dive bar doesn't exactly inspire warm cozy feelings with its steel fence and metal grid-floor, but as Itsuki promised there were private rooms easily available. You're nursing an absurdly out-of-place fruit cocktail while Lugh orders some French coffee with more syllables than the rest of the menu put together.

"I..." Lugh pauses, taking a long sip that might have looked like sophisticated contemplation if it wasn't coming from a kid who still hasn't even hit puberty. "I believe I underestimated XeXeeD."

"Ugh, don't get me started. You think he's, what, the second strongest in GGO?"

Lugh actually smiles a bit at that. "No, he's not. Because we are."

"Wasn't XeXeeD complaining he wasn't even using his main gun? Which means next time he knows all our tricks and he'll have a better gun..."

"Next... time?" Lugh seems almost confused by the concept. "He did promise to leave us alone, so I don't think we'll have to worry about him."

"He just strikes me as someone who will hold a grudge. Show up when it's least convenient just to ruin things."

"Hrmm..." Lugh frowns, a serious expression overcoming his features. "Then I suppose I'll have to get stronger. After all, XeXeeD is hardly the strongest. Shall we challenge the champion next?"

The strongest in GGO...『 』, the faceless, undefeated boogeyman. Whoever they were, you're praying they weren't involved in the murder cases. It's all about this... phantom notion of strength. It permeates every pore of this game— nothing of the sort existed in ALO, where most of the fervor was saved for the world itself. "Say Lugh, why do you want to be the strongest?"

"I mean, who wants to be weak?" Lugh responds, openly confused. "You want to be strong too. It is the point of all this... simulation, is it not?"

"I think it's, uh, to have fun."

"Fun? Is losing fun?"

"Of course it can be! I mean, maybe not in GGO..." This game hasn't exactly been the shining example of sportsmanship so far...

"I want many things, Kuro. Being strong brings me closer to all of them. And I don't see it as something as narrow as personal combat ability. Information, allies, even opportunity— these are all a form of strength. Anything that leads to the completion of the mission is valuable."

You promised yourself that you won't via inaction or weakness, allow others to die for you. Never again. And yet you know that luxury requires strength. You have to get stronger. You won't allow yourself to be taken advantage of again. You won't allow someone else... to die for you...

"So no big plot? Just... playing this game to get stronger?"

"I didn't say that. I've got many plots. Life isn't fun if you're not aiming for some goal, no? Now can I ask you something, Kuro?"

You slowly nod, sipping your overpriced fruit cocktail as a sign that you're listening. "Go ahead."

"Forgive me for being forward, but you came to GGO for a purpose, did you not?"

He must be talking about everything that just happened with XeXeeD. That and all the magic powers you were carelessly flaunting.

"Lugh, uh... I'd prefer to keep the details to myself, for now. Most of these secrets aren't mine alone to tell."

"I see." Lugh's face is stony, showing no obvious signs of disappointment. "I understand, and I'd be a hypocrite to insist on no secrets between us."

There's a lot you don't get about Lugh. He seemed to be a VR novice, that much was certain, but the speed at which he learned and adapted, not to mention just how skilled he was at simple movement... it spoke to a lifetime of experience.

"So... how'd you learn to fight? Uh, are you some kid..." You try not to blush at the bluntness of your own question, taking a big gulp of your drink to force yourself to finish. "...who's like a karate whiz or something?"

You finally see something truly human in Lugh, as he actually laughs at your conclusion. It's more low-pitched than you expected. "Karate is a horrible fighting style. When you add knives and guns to the mix a striking art is wholly ineffective. Though you could consider me a judo whiz, I quite like the sound of that."

"You're a very suspicious judo whiz, you know that?"

"And you're a very suspicious android hacker, you know that? It means we work well together. How about making it a more formal arrangement?"

You pause at that. He was wholly unlike all the friends you've made in VR. No backtalk, no strange ideas, just pure efficiency on the battlefield and off. He protected his own secrets with the fervor you protected yours.

You trust his competence.
But could you call him a friend?

"Kuro, it's alright."

"Hm? What's alri—"

In the blink of an eye Lugh's hand shoots forward, palm facing outward across the table. It's an odd gesture that takes you a moment to place. A... handshake? A surprisingly western gesture.

"I can see it in your face. You don't trust me, and neither should you. We've only just met. But we don't need to be soul mates or best buddies just to work together. I'm fine with your secrets so long as you're fine with mine, and I'm fine with being used so long as you're fine with being used in turn."

"That's a hell of a way to put it," you respond, hesitating to take Lugh's hand. "What is it you want from this, anyway?"

"Forgive my wording, but I have no intent on hiding my immediate goals... I want your power. And in return, you can have all of mine. For now, I simply want to explore GGO and meet its... strongest players. Having someone like you at my back would reassure me greatly, to say nothing of what I can offer you. It's mutual interest."

"...interest, huh?"

You were interested, but not only in Lugh's power. In the power you sense flowing through him towards you. That heady sensation of a dream of a world yet uncreated...

You grip Lugh's hand.

"You got a deal."

I AM THOU, THOU ART I.

LIFE IS PRECIOUS. LIFE HAS VALUE.

LIFE HAS A PRICE.

PAY FORWARD YOUR TOLL. CAST GOLD INTO BLOOD.

AND ROUSE THE OLD KNIGHT OF COINS TO ACTION.

TO GRANT YOU POWER TO DESTROY THE HEAVENS.

"So... I gotta ask. Did I just make a deal with a kid? I uh... I hope you're older than you look."

Lugh smirks, "Would you care to take a guess?"

"Let's say... college graduate? At least a student?"

"Kuro! Can't you tell? I'm not a day older than a spritely thirteen years." Lugh winks at you. Legitimately, unabashedly winks. It somehow still seems sinister.

"They teach judo in Bullshit Junior High?"

"They did at the one I attended. I also learned how to field strip an AK, thirty ways to make explosives, and the best methods to brainwash locals. School was very educational. Perhaps once I get older I'll retire and become a teacher."

"Somehow I can't imagine that," you laugh, awkwardly realizing that you are still holding Lugh's hand. "What would you even teach?"

His... grip. It's tightening...

"I wonder?"

"Lugh, you're scaring me..."

"It's come to my attention that you don't seem to fare too well in close quarters. You also let yourself be rag dolled by XeXeeD for most of the fight. That's a pretty large vulnerability."

"H-hey, maybe you could let go first...?"

Lugh's smile is like a shark's. "For the first lesson, Lugh-sensei is going to teach you something very important. Call it your first lesson."

"Uh, m-maybe later?"

"It's time you learned... how to properly break a fall."

"Wait, stopstop, STOOOOOPPPP—"

You have become acquainted for Lugh Tuatha Dé, the World's Most Suspicious Newbie!
Lugh is currently a PARTY MEMBER that will be freely available for most missions!
Lugh is interested in strong players.
Lugh is not LOYAL to you.
Lugh's LOYALTY may be earned with enough investment if you really want the World's Finest Assassin in your corner...

MONDAY - May 26, 2025
Velvet Room

Mortals kill for the strangest things. For love, for country.

For the glory of those creatures you have elevated to godhood.

But to kill for coin is to kill for nothing at all.

What does it take to forge a weapon such as this?
A blade that strikes solely because it wishes to test its sharpness.
A poison that chokes solely to prove the ingenuity of the chemist.
A world that shines solely to reflect the color of spilled blood.
A lifetime of killing at the whims of others has begotten this twisted dream.
For PENTACLES now desires nothing more than a world where he kills for himself.
Only pure, beautiful murders. Justified targets, evils that need vanquishing.
Endless challenge, sheer indulgence. Where he knows that every life ended saves two more.
Peace and deliverance from his knife in the dark.
The mad curse of an old man, too senile to fathom any alternative.
It is a can of rations, lacking in substance and joy, notable only for its longevity.

Why is it that when offered absolute power, you humans choose to repeat the past?
The time of redemption is long past. His soul is untainted by guilt.
He simply feels nothing except at the moment of the kill.
Speak to PENTACLES in the only tongue he comprehends. Deliver him our retribution.
And take from him HEAVEN.

[ ] Aṅgulimāla

A bandit I used to be,
renowned as Aṅgulimāla.
One whom the great flood swept along,
I went for refuge to the Buddha.
Bloody-handed I used to be,
renowned as Aṅgulimāla.
See the refuge I have found:
The bond of being has been cut.
While I did many deeds that lead
To rebirth in the evil realms,
Yet their result has reached me now;
And so I eat free from debt.
-Excerpt from the Aṅgulimāla Sutra

STR: Rank S (6 Dice)
MAG: Rank D (2 Dice)
AGI: Rank X (When this Persona is active, your AGI Avatar is set to 0 and may not be modified in any way.)
VIT: Rank S (6 Dice)
CHT: Rank C (3 Dice)

Weakness: Wind, Ice, Fire, Elec
Resist: All Physical
Real Deal: This Persona affects your mental state when active, and demands that no one but yourself comes to harm.

Note: This Persona casts using HP instead of SP.
Skills:
Tetrakarn: Grant one ally (cannot apply to self) a barrier that reflects a single PIERCE/BLUNT/SLASH attack back at them. An intelligent enemy aware of this ability may intentionally 'sandbag' to dispel the barrier. [3 HP]
Marakukaja: Increases VIT (+2 Dice) of all party members for [CHT Rank] rounds. [2 HP]
All The World's Curses: The next THREE Damage Dealing Attacks any ally is targeted by are immediately redirected towards you. You use your ally's weaknesses and position when calculating defense. If multiple allies are hit at once, each individual ally hit counts consumes one charge of this ability. Remains active even when Personas are switched, and you may not voluntarily deactivate this early. [3 HP]
Penitent Soul: Any damage you intentionally cause an opponent with this Persona active is reflected onto you instead. Additionally, whenever you would take 0 damage from an enemy attack, instead suffer 1 ALMIGHTY DAMAGE and recover 1 SP. [PASSIVE]

[ ] Paladin

Have gun will travel, reads the card of a man
A knight without armor in a savage land
His fast gun hire, heeds the calling wind
A soldier of fortune, is a man called Pal-a-din
Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam
Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home
He travels on to where ever he must
A chess knight of silver is his badge of trust
There are campfire legends that the plainsmen sing
Of the man with the gun, of the man called Pal-a-din
-The Ballad of Paladin, a song by Johnny Western

STR: Rank C (3 Dice)
MAG: Rank D (2 Dice)
AGI: Rank C (3 Dice)
VIT: Rank E (1 Dice)
CHT: Rank C (3 Dice)

Weakness: Ice, Bless, Curse
Resist: Blunt, Fire

Quick Draw: You are considered to have the [Expert Overwatch] trait (free attack without penalty to any unit that enters your Effective Range). This Persona may only be loaded into a Colt SAA Cavalry Model. [PASSIVE]
Patra: Removes a status effect from a single ally. Can be used on yourself, provided you maintain control. [2 SP]
Twin Shot: Perform a long ranged PIERCE attack on a single enemy twice (uses STR stat). [3 SP]
Embracer: Instantly puts you in MELEE range of your target, if not already there. If you are already in MELEE range this skill gains +1 ADVANTAGE. Blunt melee attack with [+2 BLUNT Damage][2 SP]

[ ] Ibn Tahir

To know! Yes, al-Araf is a symbol for those who have their eyes open and who have the courage to act in
accordance with their knowledge. Look. When you believed, you were in heaven. Now that
you've come to see and deny, you've descended into hell. But on Araf there's no place for
either joy or disillusionment. Al-Araf is the balance of good and evil, and the path that leads
to it is long and steep. Few have the opportunity to see it. Even fewer dare to tread it,
because you're alone on Araf. It's what separates you from other people. To endure up here,
you have to steel your heart. Do I make sense now?
-Excerpt from Alamut, by Vladimir Bartol

STR: Rank B (4 Dice)
MAG: Rank E (1 Dice)
AGI: Rank B (4 Dice)
VIT: Rank F (0 Dice)
CHT: Rank D (2 Dice)

Weakness: Bless, Psy
Resist: Fire, Wind, Slash

Zan-ei: Dagger Sword Skill that does +1 SLASH damage. Additionally, if you are narratively hidden deal +3 SLASH damage. [2 SP]
Getsu-ei: Dagger Sword Skill that does +1 BLUNT damage. Additionally, if you are narratively hidden deal Double the Damage. [2 SP]
Enshroud: Movement increases +1 for 1 turn, furthermore you become narratively 'hidden' until you attack. Enemies will not target you but you are still vulnerable to widespread attacks. [1 SP]
Intoxicating Mist: All entities (including allies but excluding yourself) in [X][K][X] are targeted by a Pulinpa effect. This technique also narratively hides you and all allies in range for the next turn. [3 SP]

Two votes, they are SEPERATE, no need to include PLAN format.

Vote for your PERSONA choice.

And Vote for your approach with the reticent XeXeeD.

Last edited:
[X] I don't care what you think. This is important you arrogant windbag. I will be seeking you out. So shut up and give me your contact info. [You have enough GRIT for this option.]
Allow XeXeeD to walk away.
You will demand his contact info, allowing you to follow up on this lead at the cost of future actions.
Gain ¥10000!

[X] Paladin

....I want a cowboy hat now.

[X] Sayonara. May we never meet again.
I don't think he would cooperate, but at least we do have some leads of sorts. Also those Mistcoins will help in getting better weapons.

[X] Paladin
Seems very good.

[X] Angulimala

Not for the mechanics, no, I just like how our Real Deal effects are linked to Buddhist philosophy and want to emphasize that further.

[X] Your friend Usujio? He's dead. And I'm trying to find the culprit. What, don't believe me? You're talking to a government intern. [You have enough EMPATHY for this option.]
Tell XeXeeD the truth. You will need to invoke backup from Kikuoka. Exposes your investigation job as well as your connection to the government to Lugh.
XeXeeD's opinion of you will increase from Utter Trash to Reluctant Acquaintance.
XeXeeD believes that as you are a government employee giving you money is unjust taxation, thus he refuses to pay you.

[X] Paladin

[X] Your friend Usujio? He's dead. And I'm trying to find the culprit. What, don't believe me? You're talking to a government intern. [You have enough EMPATHY for this option.]

[X] Paladin

[X] Sayonara. May we never meet again.
Execute XeXeeD and end the fight.
Gain ¥10000!

[X] Paladin

[X] Aṅgulimāla

I think that both telling the truth and obtaining the self-sacrificing persona are important to Lux's character growth.

They show we aren't all talk when it comes to trying to change and grow as a person - to be one who protects others and prevents what happened in SAO from happening again.

Last edited:
[X] I don't care what you think. This is important you arrogant windbag. I will be seeking you out. So shut up and give me your contact info. [You have enough GRIT for this option.]

I feel like there's no good reason not to just get his contact info and talk about it later. We can get more information if we have an extended conversation instead of just this short talk after the match, and if we tell the truth then Lugh won't be there to hear it.

Last edited:
Voting is open
Back