Definitely glad this is back, though i wonder to what a degree 40k was removed. I admit that i am kinda hoping the setting is still essentially the same just with the serial numbers filed off.
Look at the tags. Go on, look at them. 'borderline copyright infringement'. Sounds like the serial numbers filed off to me!

Definitely glad this is back, though i wonder to what a degree 40k was removed. I admit that i am kinda hoping the setting is still essentially the same just with the serial numbers filed off.
I'm hoping quite a bit, both so we can be surprised and so that if AN continues using Patreon he doesn't get sued.

Just reading it so far tells us that there's still psionics, there's still space elves, and we still came from a corporate era of technology and expansion.

The differences that can be noted are the Leviathan Gate, the primary means of warping around to places (and likely a less reliable secondary means of warping around or simply extreme-duration cryogenic sublight), and the new name plastered on the space elves. I'm sure we'll see more, but we didn't really have much WH40k canon involved yet in the first place, but now we have no idea what will be waiting for us in the wider universe, what's left of humanity, or what gribblies hide in the dark.

Frankly, I can't wait.

Just reading it so far tells us that there's still psionics, there's still space elves, and we still came from a corporate era of technology and expansion.

The differences that can be noted are the Leviathan Gate, the primary means of warping around to places (and likely a less reliable secondary means of warping around or simply extreme-duration cryogenic sublight), and the new name plastered on the space elves. I'm sure we'll see more, but we didn't really have much WH40k canon involved yet in the first place, but now we have no idea what will be waiting for us in the wider universe, what's left of humanity, or what gribblies hide in the dark.
Frankly, I can't wait.

We also know that Dandrissdragons are around.
Yay dragons!

And the Mirande religion is there, even if her body is not recovered and in a sarcophagus. Yet?

We also know that Dandrissdragons are around.
Yay dragons!

And the Mirande religion is there, even if her body is not recovered and in a sarcophagus. Yet?
Those were original elements, though, not things from 40k.

Are the Treeblood's still around? The Greenmen?

Would like to know this as well.

...and in the old timeline Mantis attack would be nowish.
Would love to see it and participate in the defense, actually.
Clearly Ella needs to take an interest in history!

Those were original elements, though, not things from 40k.

Point, I was more just comparing the setting to the old one, here.
Frankly, even in the old one there were not many 40K elements, and they were arguably even disruptive, since we had to plan for the Grand Crusade and the insanity that is the Emprah.
Without this sword of Damocles hanging above us a lot of discussions would have been less heated, I imagine.

So I would love getting basically the old setting back, just without 40k.

Mysterious aliens and psionics are not reserved for 40K, after all.

Clearly Ella needs to take an interest in history!

She should!

Last edited:
I always figured the goal was get to the point where we sent our own crusade out so the emperor's shitty dictatorship would never happen. Why else did we focus so much on technology and trying to figure out how to make STC's.

Point, I was more just comparing the setting to the old one, here.
Frankly, even in the old one there were not many 40K elements, and they were arguably even disruptive, since we had to plan for the Grand Crusade and the insanity that is the Emprah.
Without this sword of Damocles hanging above us a lot of discussions would have been less heated, I imagine.

So I would love getting basically the old setting back, just without 40k.

Mysterious aliens and psionics are not reserved for 40K, after all.
I certainly agree on that. It's going to be fun to see how AN explores a more original sci-fi in the vein of starcraft/40k/Mass Effect/Star Wars/I could go on, without needing to fret and worry about whether or not he's being compliant to his views of how canon works.

Most likely she has woken up but not revealed herself yet and Ella isn't on the need to know list. She woke up at the start of year 64 and revealed herself at the end of year 66, which means a total of between 34 and 37 years for Anna to conceive and give birth to Jessa (can't have happened any earlier than year 29 or Mirande would have heard about it), Jessa to grow up, conceive and give birth to Ella, and Ella to reach adulthood. It being any earlier than year 64 implies that Jessa had Ella when she was 13 or younger.

Most likely she has woken up but not revealed herself yet and Ella isn't on the need to know list. She woke up at the start of year 64 and revealed herself at the end of year 66, which means a total of between 34 and 37 years for Anna to conceive and give birth to Jessa (can't have happened any earlier than year 29 or Mirande would have heard about it), Jessa to grow up, conceive and give birth to Ella, and Ella to reach adulthood. It being any earlier than year 64 implies that Jessa had Ella when she was 13 or younger.
Jessa was implied to be high in the line of succession, possibly first Stone daughter. I would suppose Mirande isn't awake yet and won't be for at least twenty years or more, if she was even discovered and stasis'd in this timeline (chances are the end result of the Ordained One fight was very different, if still ridiculous in scale; and isn't that something I'm eagerly awaiting the reveal for).

Ah glad that a semi-casual social won out!

Also WOOOT!!! Finally, the continuation of the quest that pulled me into SV in the first place!

Jessa was implied to be high in the line of succession, possibly first Stone daughter. I would suppose Mirande isn't awake yet and won't be for at least twenty years or more, if she was even discovered and stasis'd in this timeline (chances are the end result of the Ordained One fight was very different, if still ridiculous in scale; and isn't that something I'm eagerly awaiting the reveal for).

Or she might already be awake, but Anna still has it under wraps.

Possible, but in the original timeline she was literally laid to rest in a crystal sarcophagus - people knew about her and left dragon skulls at her feet.
Here we have the information that she "disappeared" after something that devastated a huge chunk of the planet - no mentioning of a sarcophagus or a shrine, so I think she was not recovered in this continuity.

I also think that the timelines are somewhat divergent - Mantis invasion should have happened already, for example, we also did not hear about Authority or the Belters.

Last edited:
Jessa was directly stated to be Anna Stone's firstborn, yes. Which is the whole reason for supposing she might have been born as early as year 29. And her birth is at least long enough ago to have a 20 year old daughter.
Possible, but in the original timeline she was literally laid to rest in a crystal sarcophagus - people knew about her and left dragon skulls at her feet.
Here we have the information that she "disappeared" after something that devastated a huge chunk of the planet - no mentioning of a sarcophagus or a shrine, so I think she was not recovered in this continuity.
That half of a sentence is an extremely abbreviated summary, note that it also doesn't mention dragons which we definitely know are a thing. At that level of detail you wouldn't expect any clarification that while her comatose body was recovered it also disappeared some 30 years later, there are dozens of more important details to mention that are also missing from the introduction. It's not reasonable to draw significant conclusions from such a minor omission in that context.

Last edited:
Or she might already be awake, but Anna still has it under wraps.
It's probably only been 40-odd years since the Gravequest Incident, if that (my own estimate is 30-35). Unless AN has significantly changed the game, we can assume she's still hibernating, found or unfound.

I also think that the timelines are somewhat divergent - Mantis invasion should have happened already, for example, we also did not hear about Authority or the Belters.
We're not the top of the food chain anymore. I'd be surprised if we had enough dealings with other factions to make it prevalent IC.

That half of a sentence is an extremely abbreviated summary, note that it also doesn't mention dragons which we definitely know are a thing. At that level of detail you wouldn't expect any clarification that while her comatose body was recovered it also disappeared some 30 years later, there are dozens of more important details to mention that are also missing from the introduction. It's not reasonable to draw significant conclusions from such a minor omission in that context.
If you actually look at the quote in question, it makes it very clear that she 100% vanished in this timeline and her fate is (at least publicly) completely unknown.

Of her many daughters, the two greatest and most storied were Mirande and Anna. Second born, Mirande was beautiful, charming, brilliant, and mysterious. Rumoured to be the favoured daughter to take the crown and performing strange black ops for her mother, she instead disappeared - along with a large chunk of the planet - in a bizarre incident that left no known eyewitnesses as to what happened. Many claim that she still lives with a religious fervour.

She could have pulled a Draigo for all we know.

If you actually look at the quote in question, it makes it very clear that she 100% vanished in this timeline and her fate is (at least publicly) completely unknown.
You are missing my point. At the level of detail shown it is 100% reasonable to summarize "she figuratively disappeared from the political scene - falling into a strange coma that defied all medical knowledge and being interred in a museum - in the same incident that also devastated a large chunk of the planet, before literally disappearing some 30 years later" as "she instead disappeared - along with a large chunk of the planet", and it would in fact be very odd to go into that level of detail only for this one half sentence when the rest of the introduction is so very high level that it doesn't even mention the gravekeeper, dragons or the various wars.

Back