Hm, from the intro I'm guessing Academia Nut decided to make Dandriss be in its own original universe instead of WH40k? Or is it still WH40k and the intro is merely limited to the IC knowledge of the narrator?

Considering that he gets paid making quests I'm assuming that he has divorced Dandriss from Warhammer40k as to avoid any potential lawsuits.

The 'Original' tag right next to the title might also be of help.

I don't think it has to do with money. Rather, I remember discussions about age of strife which brought up the idea of making it an original setting in order to give AN free reign over his story. It has little enough to do with the actual 40k narrative.

That said, I'm not sure whether he'll come up with an alternate backstory to explain the previously 40k elements, or whether he'll just leave it as a vague 'mystery' and make it more original going forward.

I think the Stone dynasty is being kept around more in respect to the other quest and our dedication to it. This way it feels like our choices back then carry on over and aren't simply erased.

I also think that much of what had been influenced by 40k will be kept vague, though ancient powerful aliens and 'magic' might be kept around in some form or another. These elements are both quite common in sci-fi after all, so there's no reason to do away with them entirely.

These are ultimately just my guesses, feel free to agree or disagree until we have official confirmation.

I don't think it has to do with money. Rather, I remember discussions about age of strife which brought up the idea of making it an original setting in order to give AN free reign over his story. It has little enough to do with the actual 40k narrative.

That said, I'm not sure whether he'll come up with an alternate backstory to explain the previously 40k elements, or whether he'll just leave it as a vague 'mystery' and make it more original going forward.

I think the Stone dynasty is being kept around more in respect to the other quest and our dedication to it. This way it feels like our choices back then carry on over and aren't simply erased.

I also think that much of what had been influenced by 40k will be kept vague, though ancient powerful aliens and 'magic' might be kept around in some form or another. These elements are both quite common in sci-fi after all, so there's no reason to do away with them entirely.

These are ultimately just my guesses, feel free to agree or disagree until we have official confirmation.

I do think that the 40k elements can easily be altered while keeping the facts straight. The technology of course is childishly easy to fix up.

As for Chaos? Well, thus far we haven't actually seen, like, the full extent of some sort of pantheon. So why not just have it be random, dangerous demons/monsters associated with the magic abilities of people in this realm.

It depends on whether you want it to be a constant problem or not, but having it be just a matter of demons in the Warp/whatever you want to call it that can be called if the magic is done wrong means that 'Nurgle Demon' can be replaced with 'Evil being of rot and plague' or whatever else.

[X] Plan Sellsword

- might also vote for [] I dig Giant robots, or [] Plan Trade, or [] Hollymetal 2.0

Random plan I'm not even going to vote for but is amusing.

[] Plan Muscles on Muscles

[] Soldier II (+3 Combat, +2 Physique)

[] Diligent (+1 Combat, Management, Academics, & Intrigue)
[] Envious (-1 Charisma, +2 Intrigue)

Soldiers much be diligent in kicking ass! But we do sorta envy giant robots!

[] Barracks (+3 Military) [Cost: 15 military, 5 economy]
[] Military cybernetics (+2 Physique)

Our abs would be rock hard. And made of metal. Same difference.

I was going to make a similar plan called Lord Of War. The one difference being ... any chance I could convince you to go Genius instead of Strong, since physique won't matter nearly as much in a mech?

[X]Plan: I dig giant robots
Well, we likely will be in combat outside of our mech and higher Physique would help there. Though it would only help there and we are no slouch without it either. Genius would help inside and outside of combat. So, yes changed.

@redzonejoe the logic behind Lustful is because we're going to need Intrigue. Without Greedy we have +6 Management and +5 Charisma, but only +1 Intrigue. An Additional +1 Intrigue is much more important than another +2 Management, given that it's our third key stat if we're going with this build/flavor.

More than that, Greedy is pretty common in chargen like this, and honestly? If we play like we normally do (as a group) we're going to wind up with Greedy just from IC behavior pretty quickly. Lustful would be a bit tougher to pick up.

I'm not too worried about it as a family trait- think it just has more to do with the environment that Anna's created. Not every family member is going to be (In fact most seem not to be) but if it's a tradition amongst the firstborn (starting with Dia) I can still live with it :p

I'm glad that you came around reactors though. Trading Posts would make it so we could pay for Factories and More Trading Posts. Reactors mean we can pay for Factories, Trading Posts, More Reactors AND Labs. And the all important Network Center, which will turn our habs into resource juggernauts in the long run.

[X] Plan Hollymetal
[X] Politician II (+3 Management, +2 Charisma)
[X] Diligent (+1 Combat, Management, Academics, & Intrigue)
[X] Lustful (+1 Intrigue, +20% fertility)
[X] Attractive (+3 Charisma)
[X] Entertainment Complex (+3 Culture) [Cost: 20 culture]
[X] Reactor (+2 Economy, +1 Science) [Cost: 15 economy, 10 science]
[X] Upgrade: Managers muse (+2 Academics, +2 Management)

gonna miss old dandriss.

but hey i can be here from the beginning this time!

[X] Plan Hollymetal

Very new to all of this but this sounds like that one Quest I had gotten into late within Nuts 40k.

I like the idea of a political mastermind who's just fun to be around. An energetic.

[X] Plan SCIENCE!
[X] Scholar II (+3 Academics, +2 Intelligence)
[X] Genius (+3 Intelligence)
[X] Research Lab (+3 Science) [Cost: 15 science, 5 economy, 5 culture]
[X] Upgrade: Integral muse (+3 Academics, +1 Intelligence)

Plan Hollymetal
[X] Politician II (+3 Management, +2 Charisma)
[X] Attractive (+3 Charisma)
[X] Entertainment Complex (+3 Culture) [Cost: 20 culture]
[X] Upgrade: Managers muse (+2 Academics, +2 Management)

Please wait calmly while I take this information and use it to finish the character sheet.

So, I just read over all of @Academia Nut's posts in the Age of Strife thread since I archived binged the whole thing. I have two questions.
1. Is this a smaller scale test case to work out the new mechanics before switching back to Mirande?
2. If not, is it a smaller scale continuation to allow Dandriss to get to the point that Mirande is less disruptive to the plot?

Personally, I'm happy as long as we get back to Mirande and the Stones at some point. I'm also happy if we don't, but less happy. :) I'd love to go back to playing Mirande but with more of a focus on empire building, diplomacy, and large scale warfare as opposed to personal combat. One of the things I like about the way the setting is contrived (where it is within WH40k) is that there's alot of room for expanding both scale and power level. Mirande being a high level psyker may make her insanely good in personal combat, but even the EoM can't just solo entire armies. (Unless my understanding of WH40k is completely wrong or said armies are pathetic). Uniting Dandris and acquiring interstellar spaceflight merely lays the foundation for "saving the world" (Both in the literal sense of stopping chaos and the metaphorical sense of the main goal of RPG endgames).

Back