Field Commander [C&C/Worm]

But don't the Slave Miners process ore, not Tib?
Ore does not exist on this world. Or if it does its in mines (alas, if we had chosen RA3 factions we could probably get at that) instead of lying on the ground like the stuff our miners were designed to harvest. Slave Miners can process, but can't reliably harvest Tiberium (with or without slaves).

It really is too bad we can't make a harvesting drill like in the campaign, just keep on drilling up more material infinitely.

Though maybe if we moved to invade somewhere and take a few oil derricks?

Yup, that was what I was talking about.
Huh... I think I remember some of those for GDI starting out in one or another sides automatically at the start of a mission. Perhaps it could be argued then that they where constructed by the side in question but that they are just inefficient to create in a fight and so where not given as an option to create in a fight.

Warning: Warning
@Carrnage @legiodamnatus @Publicola @TSNLollipops @VoiceoftheAbyss @Terra1125 @Night_stalker
None of you have voted on the Policy Vote, or have expressed any leanings one way or another. Making sure it's a choice, rather than negligence. Every vote counts, even voting to abstain.

warning @Trondason, your repeated mass-tagging has been getting disruptive. Several users reported your mass-tagging posts for getting annoying, so please don't do it again. Thank you.

Oh, sorry, it's just that every time I ask about why a thread died after what I'm sure was a consensus of direction (voted path of play) I usually get mod hammered about being polite and not harassing the QM about running their own quests. EVEN if it's the first time I've posted in a quest thread. So I have to be creative in asking if the quest is still running. And no, I don't want to vote, I like reading quests more than participating in them anyways.

Oh, sorry, it's just that every time I ask about why a thread died after what I'm sure was a consensus of direction (voted path of play) I usually get mod hammered about being polite and not harassing the QM about running their own quests. EVEN if it's the first time I've posted in a quest thread. So I have to be creative in asking if the quest is still running. And no, I don't want to vote, I like reading quests more than participating in them anyways.
Ah, well I can't give you any definitive answer on that. Though I must say, you are expecting a faster update cycle than I am. Weekly is challenging enough to write and the vote was only called last Tuesday.

:eek::oops:
Err... oops. For some reason it feels like it's been longer than that... fair enough, please forget that I made an ass of myself while hopping on one foot, while the other is somehow in my mouth.

:eek::oops:
Err... oops. For some reason it feels like it's been longer than that... fair enough, please forget that I made an ass of myself while hopping on one foot, while the other is somehow in my mouth.
It's alright. Writing the results of my players actions, proofreading, and figuring out in which order to write then takes a bit longer than my 1.0k riot vote segments.

At the moment, I am at 3.8k words. And counting.

@UltimatePaladin How effective will our food production buildings be once we get them? Would they just be modestly productive, about what could reasonably be made in a building its size, or will it be EXTREMELY productive like our power plants are, WAY outperforming normal things many times its size?

@UltimatePaladin How effective will our food production buildings be once we get them? Would they just be modestly productive, about what could reasonably be made in a building its size, or will it be EXTREMELY productive like our power plants are, WAY outperforming normal things many times its size?
You don't know at the moment. The Schematics are on a GDI or NOD MCV, which are sitting behind a $2500 paywall.

I was hoping the commander would just happen to know, two parts of him being from the future where they were widely used. But alright, we should be able to afford the MCV this next turn, so won't have to wait too much longer.
I'm actually glad we don't. It would take a lot of the fun out of the quest if we knew everything. Especially if those things are not something a military commander in the middle of a war would know (such as agricultural productivity and management).

I'm actually glad we don't. It would take a lot of the fun out of the quest if we knew everything. Especially if those things are not something a military commander in the middle of a war would know (such as agricultural productivity and management).
I don't see how knowing what we are capable of would take teh fun out of the quest.
Besides, it seems to me like it's something that everyone in the society would know. We were taught how modern agriculture works in school, and I think that would still apply. The commander of course doesn't know the specifics, but he could know if one building would produce enough food to feed the entire city with plenty to spare, or if you'd need dozens of buildings per city.

I don't see how knowing what we are capable of would take teh fun out of the quest.
It would answer far too many of our questions far too easily. We would be the person with all the answers to everything. That's not challenging, that takes all the fun out of a character.

Besides, it seems to me like it's something that everyone in the society would know. We were taught how modern agriculture works in school, and I think that would still apply.
You must have gone to very different schools than I did, because we were only taught the basics. Enough to understand how it works and what people are talking about in a general sense but not anything near enough to put into practice. There's a reason universities have agricultural degrees.

The commander of course doesn't know the specifics, but he could know if one building would produce enough food to feed the entire city with plenty to spare, or if you'd need dozens of buildings per city.
We don't even know how big the city is, much less it's population (pre or post Leviathan). We also need to take infrastructure and distribution issues into account. After all if you can't get the food where it needs to go from one site you might need additional buildings. Determining that is more complicated than you make out.

It would answer far too many of our questions far too easily. We would be the person with all the answers to everything. That's not challenging, that takes all the fun out of a character.
Except we WOULDN"T have the answers to everything. We'd know what WE are capable of, but that's it. We don't know how Legend handles, we don't even know how good PRT armor is. That I just accepted, we didn't have any way of knowing.
Knowing stuff about Command and Conquer though, stuff about ourselves, that is a entirely different ball park.
You must have gone to very different schools than I did, because we were only taught the basics. Enough to understand how it works and what people are talking about in a general sense but not anything near enough to put into practice. There's a reason universities have agricultural degrees.
No, that's exactly what I said. We know how it works, not use how to do it. Stuff like crop rotation, different types of irrigation. I know what they are, I have no idea how to actually do that stuff though. And I don't need to know to know that there are hundreds of thousands of square miles dedicated to farming. Which is what I think the Commander would know, is there 1 building doing all the food production in teh city, or are there dozens?
We don't even know how big the city is, much less it's population (pre or post Leviathan). We also need to take infrastructure and distribution issues into account. After all if you can't get the food where it needs to go from one site you might need additional buildings. Determining that is more complicated than you make out.
We know enough to make rough estimates. We can see a good bit of the city, so we know how big it is square mile wise. Compare that to CnC city population densities, and we have a very rough estimate of population (high end even, since CnC cities probably weren't just hit by a water nuke, and probably more densely packed). If one building can supply a CnC city of comparable size, it can almost certainly supply this city.
And Transportation is a entire different issue from raw output. And issue that will need to be addressed, but not the one I'm asking about. If one building can produce enough food, it can produce that food regardless of if we can get it around or not.

Edit: And if you don't think we happen to know CnC population statistics (even roughly), I have a really good feeling that EVA does. She's good for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
If we got descriptions for everything now as part of us being who we are, it would take ultimate AGES to write up for us.

So I'm fine with not knowing until it is relevant.

Not even a rough guess? Drat.

You'd think that this kind of building/equipment would be standard package deal for creating fresh produce on the battlefield, unless it's really all slow growth stuff.

In the world of Tiberian Sun, it's cheaper for GDI commanders to ship in food supplies then to build greenhouses to grow food on-site (experiments with using Tiberium to make food ended...badly.) You might see those on some really long-term bases, but for the most part they buy from civilian businesses, and then ship the supplies out to wherever they are needed. The Brotherhood of Nod also has some food production centers, but also raid civilian settlements and GDI bases for supplies if need be.

And it isn't like you don't have them, they are explicitly stated to be in GDI and Nod MCV databases. The Commander's reaction to this (utter confusion) should tell you how much this is used/known about by the common Commander, however. For the most part, they get the food they need from their CO, manufacture equipment on site using Tiberium, and commence military operations.

Back