Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

That is a staggering idiot ball. She's clearly standing there right next to several heroes Armsmaster has known for years - and Taylor was explicitly described as Glory Girl's 'friend' earlier. Not at least asking them what's going on before acting is just bizarrely dumb.

I'm sure you could work together a conversation that still has Armsmaster escalating to hostility without him coming off as a mustache twirling moron.

No this is just about right. How else do they get young parahumans into their organization? Threaten them with financial ruin. We already know from canon the PRT doesn't give a shit about anything except their image, the status quo, and getting more people Shanghai'd into their group.

Hopefully if Taylor joins a group its New Wave, I may puke if I read anymore Taylor joins the wards. This Armsmaster is just right.

No this is just about right. How else do they get young parahumans into their organization? Threaten them with financial ruin. We already know from canon the PRT doesn't give a shit about anything except their image, the status quo, and getting more people Shanghai'd into their group.

Hopefully if Taylor joins a group its New Wave, I may puke if I read anymore Taylor joins the wards. This Armsmaster is just right.
Shadowcub? Take your hateboner and shitposting somewhere else.

It just seems strange that the facts that:

A) Taylor Hebert may be a parahuman.
B) Glory Girl was seen with a strange creature.
C) Taylor Hebert was with Glory Girl.

Don't seem to add up to 'maybe she has a Changer power' in Armsmaster's head.

I'll just point out that this doesn't change the fact that she admitted a crime in front of him, and it is now of heightened severity given he knows she's parahuman rather than just suspects.

Edit: reread the new bit.

It still works fine, though I admit I liked the attempted arrest. It was fun, and funny, and there is a place for funny in writing.

Last edited:
Guys please stop complaining about things to Ack ok? All your doing is adding stress to the author of the story that he is writing for free. It's over with and done with. Move on. >.>

Ack, am I to assume from your comment that Taylor has Lung's shard? Does this mean that LUNG HAS QA YOU MAD GENIUS YOU?

By the way, the rewrite was perfect. Thank you for being considerate and receptive to your fans ;)

I'll just point out that this doesn't change the fact that she admitted a crime in front of him, and it is now of heightened severity given he knows she's parahuman rather than just suspects.

Edit: reread the new bit.

It still works fine, though I admit I liked the attempted arrest. It was fun, and funny, and there is a place for funny in writing.
Actually, she didn't admit to committing a crime in any real sense. Blowing up a cage you were illegally imprisoned in? Not a crime. And since the only reason he doesn't know that is that he couldn't be arsed to let her finish a goddamn sentence that's no excuse. And yes, he should be assuming there are extenuating/mitigating factors. People who don't believe they what they did was justified don't go hang out at police stations.

Guys please stop complaining about things to Ack ok? All your doing is adding stress to the author of the story that he is writing for free. It's over with and done with. Move on. >.>
Sucking up to an author is just as bad IMO. It's what enables... people whose names will not be named.

Besides, "No, this doesn't really work. Here's an alternative that should make sense with what we know of a character who is present but nobody else is talking about." is never equivalent to "YOUR FIC SUCKS LOL"

The issue is not that Armsmaster is attempting an arrest, its that his response to a peaceful situation is to immediately escalate. He came to interview Glory Girl about her interaction with a new cape. Instead he found the primary suspect in a parahuman incident at Winslow and her father calmly talking with three members of New Wave. This is entirely unexpected and should be an obvious sign that he is missing several key pieces of information. Arresting Taylor makes sense, but he did not even try to take her in without violence.

Thank you Ack,
In cannon Armsmaster has social problems and detaining someone for questioning at PRT headquarters is completely in character. Frightened Teen girl who just triggered "worst day ever" + uncontrollable powers = SCARY girl. Good chapter.

Sucking up to an author is just as bad IMO. It's what enables... people whose names will not be named.

Besides, "No, this doesn't really work. Here's an alternative that should make sense with what we know of a character who is present but nobody else is talking about." is never equivalent to "YOUR FIC SUCKS LOL"

I'm not sucking up to Ack, I am trying to stop the god damn bitching since I notice a patterned with abandoned stories and bitching.

You're complaining about the scene like you have been would only make Ack less likely to continue to write the damn story.

You are not the author, Ack is. Allow him to write the damn story he wants to. Besides, comparing Ack to those who must not be name is kinda of an insult.

But whatever... I'm done with this before it escalates into a full blown argument. I'm sick of that happening in the Worm fandom.

-edit-

I know I am guilty of my fair share of bitching about stories, case in point; Outcry, which is why I'm trying to cut back on the amount of bitching I do.

Last edited:
Thank you Ack,
In cannon Armsmaster has social problems and detaining someone for questioning at PRT headquarters is completely in character. Frightened Teen girl who just triggered "worst day ever" + uncontrollable powers = SCARY girl. Good chapter.
Um, NO. His social skills are eh at best. He is not a moron incapable of processing that someone having a civil chat with New Wave is PROBABLY not a threat (see above for why Master/Stranger/Thinker isn't a valid explanation).
I'm not sucking up to Ack, I am trying to stop the god damn bitching since I notice a patterned with abandoned stories and bitching.

You're complaining about the scene like you have been would only make Ack less likely to continue to write the damn story.

You are not the author, Ack is. Allow him to write the damn story he wants to. Besides, comparing Ack to those who must not be name is kinda of an insult.

But whatever... I'm done with this before it escalates into a full blown argument. I'm sick of that happening in the Worm fandom.
One, Ack AFAIK hasn't abandoned ANYTHING. Two, constructive criticism =/= bitching.

Last edited:
No go on the quicker Sarah interrupt, then? Does Taylor absolutely have to sort-of-confess and obliterate the halberd right now?

Armsmaster's revised attitude is definitely better, but that wasn't really the problem I had with the scene.
Yes, yes she does. That halberd had to go. It was ruining the scene :p
I personally think that Armsmaster attempting to arrest her is entirely in character.
"Yeah," I tried to sound confident, "But I should explain things first. First off, the Undersiders offered me a spot on their team. I took it."

His reaction was subtle. His chin rose a fraction, he shifted his weight fractionally, and the grip of his armored gauntlets tightened enough on his Halberd to make a faint metal-on-metal screech.

"I think you'd better start making sense, fast," he spoke in a calm voice, even as his body language was making me want to back away.
This is when Taylor called him for a chat.

Actually, she didn't admit to committing a crime in any real sense. Blowing up a cage you were illegally imprisoned in? Not a crime. And since the only reason he doesn't know that is that he couldn't be arsed to let her finish a goddamn sentence that's no excuse. And yes, he should be assuming there are extenuating/mitigating factors. People who don't believe they what they did was justified don't go hang out at police stations.
New Wave is not a police station. And have you never heard of protective camouflage?

And ONE MORE TIME.

He's in the doorway. He DOES NOT KNOW that Taylor's been having a civil chat with New Wave, he DOES NOT KNOW that her father is on site, and he DOES NOT KNOW that anyone other than Lady Photon is there (aside from Vicky).

WE know all that. HE does NOT. So stop ascribing information to him that he DOES NOT HAVE and accept that yes, even Armsmaster can act without complete information. Like everyone else can.

Yes, yes she does. That halberd had to go. It was ruining the scene :p
I personally think that Armsmaster attempting to arrest her is entirely in character.
Again, my problem with the scene has more to do with Sarah's silence. She's sisters with a lawyer. She does law-related stuff for her side (?) job (i.e. heroing). She should know better than to let someone who's accused of a crime, whom she knows didn't do it in the context of the accusation, to continue to speak without a lawyer present.

That is my core problem with the scene, and it's still there regardless of whatever is going through Armsmaster's head.

New Wave is not a police station. And have you never heard of protective camouflage?
They are recognized allies of law enforcement though. That has to mean something.

No go on the quicker Sarah interrupt, then? Does Taylor absolutely have to sort-of-confess and obliterate the halberd right now?

Armsmaster's revised attitude is definitely better, but that wasn't really the problem I had with the scene.
You might notice that she registers Lady Photon talking, but not what she's saying.

For those not really noticing it; Taylor was acting on instinct once she went dragon.

And ONE MORE TIME.

He's in the doorway. He DOES NOT KNOW that Taylor's been having a civil chat with New Wave, he DOES NOT KNOW that her father is on site, and he DOES NOT KNOW that anyone other than Lady Photon is there (aside from Vicky).

WE know all that. HE does NOT. So stop ascribing information to him that he DOES NOT HAVE and accept that yes, even Armsmaster can act without complete information. Like everyone else can.
Ok, so he's going off incomplete information despite there being no time pressure. Still stupid. And he kind of does know that she's having a civil chat: He can, you know, observe that the place is not wrecked despite at least two blasters and one flying brute being present, observe that no one is yelling, and observe that they appear to have been talking.
They are another hero team. Close enough. Protective camo? Don't make me laugh. We're dealing with a teenage who can very reasonably assumed not have any powers useful for that (if they do, you're dealing with Eidolon Jr). That's the kind of shit professional spies think is too risky.

Last edited:
You might notice that she registers Lady Photon talking, but not what she's saying.

For those not really noticing it; Taylor was acting on instinct once she went dragon.
Sarah could've still done something physical, like throw her hand over Taylor's mouth to keep her from responding to the initial accusation. Taylor then struggles to talk through the improvised gag and turns dragon anyway - this time with Sarah's hand now inside Taylor's mouth.

(Taylor then fails to notice Sarah ordering Vicky to call her mom's work number and telling Armsmaster to calm the fuck down until Taylor's lawyer arrives.)

Last edited:
Stepping back carefully, I brought my wings in close to my body, and closed my mouth. Your move.

''And then Armsmaster deployed his secondary, laser halberd from his gauntlet.''

I honestly don't know if escalation is the solution to Armsamester. I mean at this point it could all blow up horridly and I doubt that as prepared as Armsmaster is that he has been disarmed.

Also I like that you edited Lady photon saying something because I would expect her to do at least something instead of staying in silence.

Sarah could've still done something physical, like throw her hand over Taylor's mouth to keep her from responding to the initial accusation. Taylor then struggles to talk through the improvised gag and turns dragon anyway - this time with Sarah's hand now inside Taylor's mouth.

Seems like a bit of an over reach seeing as she has known Taylor for a few hours at most. I mean I don't exactly expect Sarah to stonewall Armsmaster just like that.

Seems like a bit of an over reach seeing as she has known Taylor for a few hours at most. I mean I don't exactly expect Sarah to stonewall Armsmaster just like that.
Unless I read the earlier scene wrong, she and Vicky learned the whole story at the same time Danny did. That's long enough to know that Armsmaster doesn't know as much as he thinks and he should really sit down before he does something stupid.

Edit: With the lengths of their respective careers, Sarah should know just how capable Armsmaster is of doing stupid things.

Last edited:
No, that results in him first identifying her. She agrees to the identification. Then he posits that she blew up her locker. She agrees that she did so. So then he - because she admitted to a crime in front of him - proceeds to take hold of her while he arrests her (because standing back and letting your suspect run away while you're arresting them is a stupid fucking idea) whereupon she turns into a dragon. And threatens him. So he feels threatened. So he produces his halberd and verbally warns her.

Yeah, it's actually logical.

We as readers see how stupid it was, but he was actually working from logical premises.
I'm sorry everyone. It made sense to me from the start, but after this post. No One should be still having issues or calling idiot ball on this. From Armsmasters IC view this all makes sense from an Armsmaster viewpoint. And he's Armsmaster. Social niceties or extenuating circumstances aren't really his thing.

Edit: And now I need to go reread the chapter to see what changed.

Last edited:
Ok, so he's going off incomplete information despite there being no time pressure. Still stupid. And he kind of does know that she's having a civil chat: He can, you know, observe that the place is not wrecked despite at least two blasters and one flying brute being present, observe that no one is yelling, and observe that they appear to have been talking.
He has not yet stepped inside. He does not know that either Flashbang or Vicky is present (as I just said, and you seem to be ignoring) and only knows that Vicky is there because he was told. For all he knows, she's upstairs or even gone.

He has not seen the living room in its entirety, but hell, Taylor could have been upstairs till ten seconds ago. You know a civil chat has been going on. I know it. He does not.

How do you 'observe that they appear to have been talking.'? From the silence in the room? You are ascribing far too much knowledge to a man currently standing on the fucking doorstep.

They are another hero team. Close enough. Protective camo? Don't make me laugh. We're dealing with a teenage who can very reasonably assumed not have any powers useful for that (if they do, you're dealing with Eidolon Jr). That's the kind of shit professional spies think is too risky.
Or she may be a friend of Vicky's.

Back