Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

Maybe removing a layer or two of bedrock too?

And to my knowledge, it's anti-fire rather then anti-nuke counter measures. Fire I believe is suppose to regenerate Nilbog's creations or something.
If I'm not mistaken it's not regeneration but rapid reproduction. Fire makes one goblin into an instant horde. Though I believe there are limits to that. If the fire is hot enough it should charcoal the body before it can duplicate. The issue is getting the fire hot enough to over come shard shenanigans. I've seen a few fics where they went around the problem. Either making a goblin targeting plague of some sort or just acid bombing the entire area.

The real issue though is there are suspicions, though nothing confirmed that I'm aware of, that Nilbog has some sort of plague set up to release if he's killed. Taylor disintegrating things down to the bedrock should handle all those issues though. So yeah. The goblin king wanna be is all sorts of screwed.

Last edited:
And if the head of the Ellisburg Quarantine is doing their job correctly will tell them No, come back with a plane of action and approval from command.

Apparently nukes don't destroy everything.
They don't, especially over a wide area. They follow the inverse square law, and while at ground zero hit everything with massive levels of overkill their power drops off dramatically with distance. A nuke would destroy everything next to it, but it would also throw a huge amount of garbage away from the detonation; Nilbog could easily arrange for such debris to be contaminated.

There's also the issue that nukes aren't precision weapons; while bigger or more nukes could help with that, that also means the area of effect would be larger. Both when it comes to direct effects and fallout. A big enough blast to utterly incinerate everything in a mid-sized town -especially possible spores hardened by a Bio-Tinker - would have a huge area of effect. Probably big enough that there's other towns in range.

There's also the issue that nukes aren't precision weapons; while bigger or more nukes could help with that, that also means the area of effect would be larger. Both when it comes to direct effects and fallout. A big enough blast to utterly incinerate everything in a mid-sized town -especially possible spores hardened by a Bio-Tinker - would have a huge area of effect. Probably big enough that there's other towns in range.
Nukes can be delivered precisely. Ballistic missiles aren't very precise, but aren't the only format for nuclear weapons. Against Nilbog they could just deliver them to the walls by truck, and if desired toss them in with a catapult.

And they'd probably be willing to evacuate a few towns in a pinch. The perimeter force might be more of a problem, since they can't let there be an escape just before the bombs go off.

But I think there would be a big concern that anything not successfully sterilized by the detonation would be extensively distributed as fallout.

Nukes can be delivered precisely.
I wasn't talking about the delivery; I was talking about the fact that they hit a very large area whether you want them to or not. It's one of the problems with so-called "tactical" nuclear weapons, even a really small nuclear weapon is going to destroy random towns and villages in much of the world no matter where you drop it; I recall some Cold War general mentioning that towns in Europe are "half a kiloton apart". And incinerating every last bit of the town with nukes would involve more than a kiloton or two. I doubt Ellisburg in New York is in the middle of a vast uninhabited wilderness.

And if the head of the Ellisburg Quarantine is doing their job correctly will tell them No, come back with a plane of action and approval from command.
"We are the plan."

And they already have approval, they've been asked to destroy it.

Last edited:
I mean, canonically (because Wildbow has actually specifically addressed this) the problem with just about any variety of "bigger boom" on Ellisburg is that it's specifically designed such that no matter what you do, some of the material survives and gets scattered over god-knows what area, because Ellisburg was planned by the Entities as a backup in case humanity died out. (Specifically, the idea is that if humanity dies out, Nilbog's creations can be alternate hosts, IIRC)

So yeah, apparently they actually do regularly have Thinkers check on the potential consequences of doing anything about Ellisburg, and it's always come back as creating a bigger problem. Now, that obviously depends on if you trust Thinkers to be accurate about Ellisburg, but it does explain why, in Worm, they haven't tried things like nukes. It's because they don't think it will result in a smaller problem, so given that Nilbog is more-or-less content to stick to Ellisburg, they avoid poking that particular hornet's nest.

Also, "erase all matter in the area from existence" is about as foolproof a means of destroying a spread-out biological threat as you can get. Much more so than a nuclear strike.

"We are the plan."

And they already have approval, they've been asked to destroy it.

That might be so, but they just finished the Machine Army, so potential for exhaustion. Next the Quarantine Forces would probably like a head's up to deploy correctly, since you know they're the ones that have to make sure nothing breaches the perimeter. The commander there would be a bit pissed if they came in towards the end of a shift on the walls, but not yet shift change, when you have a bunch of tired forces. Politically its the correct thing to do so you keep the PRT happy. Poor communication kills; the PRT may have asked them to do it, but no one likes a surprise explosion even if it's your own side doing it.

Wrong word: Converse is: to talk informally with another or others; exchange views, opinions, etc., by talking.

I think you're thinking of Obverse: corresponding to something else as a counterpart.
Source is bad, apparently!

In logic, for a proposition "if A then B", the converse is "if B then A".

(Usually presented at the same time in lessons, the inverse is "if not A then not B", and the contrapositive is "if not B then not A". The contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original proposition while the other two are not.)

Last edited:
At any rate what happened shows that the choice was the correct one. It appears that the fears the AIs were monitoring communications were justified, and giving the Machine Army more prep time could have gone badly.

Wrong word: Converse is: to talk informally with another or others; exchange views, opinions, etc., by talking.

I think you're thinking of Obverse: corresponding to something else as a counterpart.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it would be. No one is going to want to be living that close to a possible epidemic source.
noun
noun: converse; plural noun: converses
/ˈkɒnvəːs/
  1. a situation, object, or statement that is the reverse of another or corresponds to it but with certain terms transposed.

Underneath that again, in a less formal font, was the addendum DO NOT TRUST THE COMPUTER. THE COMPUTER IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. It sounded like a quote or reference of some kind, though I had no idea where it was from.
I... I understand that reference.

*Clears throat*
"If you find signs of Communist infiltration submit Form CIS-238 in triplicate to your nearest Troubleshooter. You can always trust Friend Computer, and remember, Happiness is mandatory!"

Great chapter, and that fight scene was awesome.

Back