Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

Taylor has been getting bullied. You engineered a legal requirement for her to go back into Winslow so that she would be provoked into Changing in public, and you could swoop in and save the day, and get her into the Wards. Unfortunately for you, she didn't actually commit any crimes. Also, she exposed your corrupt Ward."

This time he paused for a long moment. "I … may have been the target of misinformation."

She didn't give an inch. "Explain."

It was clear he didn't like being on the spot; not one little bit. "I … received an anonymous notification that Wyvern would go on a rampage at Winslow today.
-Why isn't Armsmaster denying the setup outright? It comes off as very... soft and corporate.-

-Why isn't Armsmaster denying the setup outright? It comes off as very... soft and corporate.-

He is soft and corporate about himself. His entire obessession with Taylor is that having such a powerful person under his control can only make him/his career look better. He says so himself, 10% of his actions are his self justification of his actions, like trying to get Taylor to incriminate herself so he can force her to work for him and the other 90% is just pure Colin bullshit.

Colin is the worst person to work for. I pity Kid Win sometimes because seeing him every day has to be its own special type of hell, he wont help you with anything but will grab credit if you manage to come up with a great idea...shrugs.😶😶😶

Because Coil's the one who actually engineered the demand from Blackwell, not Armsy? (Also because Dragon might be yelling at him about this.)
Oh, she absolutely is.

Armsmaster is suddenly coming to the realisation that's he's been led up the garden path by his halberd, and he don't like it. But he doesn't like admitting fault either, thus the soft-pedalling.

Because Coil's the one who actually engineered the demand from Blackwell, not Armsy? (Also because Dragon might be yelling at him about this.)

He is soft and corporate about himself. His entire obessession with Taylor is that having such a powerful person under his control can only make him/his career look better. He says so himself, 10% of his actions are his self justification of his actions, like trying to get Taylor to incriminate herself so he can force her to work for him and the other 90% is just pure Colin bullshit.

Colin is the worst person to work for. I pity Kid Win sometimes because seeing him every day has to be its own special type of hell, he wont help you with anything but will grab credit if you manage to come up with a great idea...shrugs.😶😶😶
-So why isn't armsmaster coming out and saying 'I made no such order.'? Why is he softballing when he knows for a fact he didn't do it?-

-So why isn't armsmaster coming out and saying 'I made no such order.'? Why is he softballing when he knows for a fact he didn't do it?-
Because he's in the process at that moment of realizing he was set up to take the fall. Soft backpedalling means he doesn't make any more absolute statements that screw him over even more until he can figure out all the details and resolve it.

Absolutes are what Colin prefers to deal in, but even he can recognize the benefits of softening his language, from a legal standpoint if nothing else. (And Brandish has been quite clear that legal consequences of his actions are not off the table, which means he knows Piggot will come down on him like a sack of bricks if he fucks it up too badly.)

He realized he's dug himself into a hole and thinks (or Dragon in his ear tells him) that the safest thing he can do is shut up and walk away instead of digging deeper.

Because he's in the process at that moment of realizing he was set up to take the fall. Soft backpedalling means he doesn't make any more absolute statements that screw him over even more until he can figure out all the details and resolve it.

Absolutes are what Colin prefers to deal in, but even he can recognize the benefits of softening his language, from a legal standpoint if nothing else. (And Brandish has been quite clear that legal consequences of his actions are not off the table, which means he knows Piggot will come down on him like a sack of bricks if he fucks it up too badly.)
He actually states that he didn't do it. But he leads with the fact that someone fed him the tip in the first place.
He tilted his head slightly. "I'm not sure what you're talking about. What situation am I supposed to have set up?"

"You know what situation." Her voice was hard-edged. "Taylor has been getting bullied. You engineered a legal requirement for her to go back into Winslow so that she would be provoked into Changing in public, and you could swoop in and save the day, and get her into the Wards. Unfortunately for you, she didn't actually commit any crimes. Also, she exposed your corrupt Ward."

This time he paused for a long moment. "I … may have been the target of misinformation."

She didn't give an inch. "Explain."

It was clear he didn't like being on the spot; not one little bit. "I … received an anonymous notification that Wyvern would go on a rampage at Winslow today. I figured I could be on hand to stop her …" He paused, clearly decided that he wasn't convincing Carol, and kept going. "… and make sure she didn't go into juvey. A power like hers is too versatile to be kept behind bars."

"So instead you were going to stick me in the Wards, where I clearly didn't want to be," I interjected. "So much for free will, hey?"

"I understand that you don't want to be in the Wards," he said carefully. "But I did not initiate the situation. Heroes get anonymous tips all the time."

Don't calls have to go through cell towers even if the phones are near each other?

Cheap ones do. All of them do for calls beyond a phone's maximum unassisted broadcast range. How far that range is depends on lots of factors, like terrain obstructions and interference sources, among others. But most phones these days have a maximum broadcast range of about 45 miles - about 72 kilometers if you prefer metric - under optimal conditions. Phones that are not cheap often have what is called walkie-talkie mode, that allow them to communicate directly with phones they are in range of, without needing cellular towers.

"Why doesn't Armsmaster have a sense of humour? It wouldn't fit in his helmet, so he had to take it out."

Given he might well have a social teleprompter module in certain helmets, this could easily be both funny and true. :p

How is Shadow Puppet still alive? And how did Wyvern know that she'd survive?

She probably didn't care. A cop-killer was fleeing, and about to escape. And then the murderer wasn't escaping anymore.

Last edited:
Cheap ones do. All of them do for calls beyond a phone's maximum unassisted broadcast range. How far that range is depends on lots of factors, like terrain obstructions and interference sources, among others. But most phones these days have a maximum broadcast range of about 45 miles - about 72 kilometers if you prefer metric - under optimal conditions. Phones that are not cheap often have what is called walkie-talkie mode, that allow them to communicate directly with phones they are in range of, without needing cellular towers.
I've never heard of this, and it would have been useful.
I had a temp job to help upgrade a hospital's computers recently, but we found that we had problems with cell phone reception in about 3/4 of the building. We had planned to use the phones to coordinate our team, but that went out the window.
The phones would not work even when we standing right next to each other without a carrier signal (or maybe just a signal from the carrier to indicate the phone was authorized to make calls). The wifi did work however so we could send e-mails.
I myself have a Samsung Galaxy S9, which a couple years ago cost up to $1,000, but I bought it last year on clearance (because it was 2 generations behind) for $250. Most of the other guys (all computer technicians) had fairly high end smart phones, but a lot were several years old.

What would be considered a "more expensive one" and from what vintage would they need to be to have this feature?
I only got a new phone last year because my aging HTC One X+'s battery finally gave up the ghost, or at least wouldn't last all day at work with even light usage with the wifi, bluetooth, GPS, and mobile data kept off when not in use.

I've never heard of this, and it would have been useful.
I had a temp job to help upgrade a hospital's computers recently, but we found that we had problems with cell phone reception in about 3/4 of the building. We had planned to use the phones to coordinate our team, but that went out the window.
The phones would not work even when we standing right next to each other without a carrier signal (or maybe just a signal from the carrier to indicate the phone was authorized to make calls). The wifi did work however so we could send e-mails.
I myself have a Samsung Galaxy S9, which a couple years ago cost up to $1,000, but I bought it last year on clearance (because it was 2 generations behind) for $250. Most of the other guys (all computer technicians) had fairly high end smart phones, but a lot were several years old.

What would be considered a "more expensive one" and from what vintage would they need to be to have this feature?
I only got a new phone last year because my aging HTC One X+'s battery finally gave up the ghost, or at least wouldn't last all day at work with even light usage with the wifi, bluetooth, GPS, and mobile data kept off when not in use.

Phones that have it will list it as a feature in the phone specs, and will often be advertised as having it. Smartphones that lack it as a hardware feature can still use the functionality, albeit at shorter ranges, via a walkie-talkie app that uses wifi to communicate - the main limitations being limited range (just a few hundred feet) and the fact most app developers don't make their walkie-talkie app compatible with other walkie-talkie apps.

One advantage of the wifi version though, is if the wifi goes through an actual internet-connected router, max range is theoretically global. And you can daisy-chain wifi signal boosters to get signal into places with walls that block it.

Thinking about it, Glory Girl now has a pretty good comeback for all those "collateral damage" jokes; "Hey, at least I've never burned down my school."

Phones that are not cheap often have what is called walkie-talkie mode, that allow them to communicate directly with phones they are in range of, without needing cellular towers.
Yeah, I'm gonna need a cite here. My last two phones cost from $750-$850, and neither of them had that option. In fact, the only phones I can think of that had it were Nextel phones around a decade ago. Those were not exactly common.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a cite here. My last two phones cost from $750-$850, and neither of them had that option. In fact, the only phones I can think of that had it were Nextel phones around a decade ago. Those were not exactly common.

I haven't seen that option either. I do think it's something an actual tracking device, rather than a cell phone, would have though

I haven't seen that option either. I do think it's something an actual tracking device, rather than a cell phone, would have though

You could always look for yourselves - it took me about a minute of Googling to find a dozen models on various sites. Here's just one:

www.geekwire.com

Samsung unveils new smartphone with Microsoft Teams walkie-talkie feature

Microsoft and Samsung took their partnership to the next level with a new smartphone that features a built-in Teams walkie-talkie capability. The new Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro is a thin,… Read More

Phones that have it will list it as a feature in the phone specs, and will often be advertised as having it. Smartphones that lack it as a hardware feature can still use the functionality, albeit at shorter ranges, via a walkie-talkie app that uses wifi to communicate - the main limitations being limited range (just a few hundred feet) and the fact most app developers don't make their walkie-talkie app compatible with other walkie-talkie apps.

One advantage of the wifi version though, is if the wifi goes through an actual internet-connected router, max range is theoretically global. And you can daisy-chain wifi signal boosters to get signal into places with walls that block it.
A walkie-talkie app using wifi is different from the phones making actual calls or texts peer-to-peer instead of going through the cell phone towers.

It doesn't even make sense for actual voice calls and text messages, since the network the towers provide also verifies that the phone has an authorized SIM card to make a call, ensuring that the person is paying for the service and if they were going peer-to-peer without the tower the phones wouldn't have access to the database to verify that the person has paid for the service and could make calls for free. The businesses wouldn't want that.

Now installing an app that uses wifi to make calls to other phones with the same app is a totally different thing from the phones making calls and texts peer-to-peer. It may LOOK similar to the end user, but it is a whole different thing from a technical standpoint. Even if it uses VOIP.

PTT functionality in mobile phones pretty was mostly late feature-phone thing, and IIRC heavily targeted at people doing outdoor sports like skiing. The phones had special radios equipped for unlicensed (or at least not requiring any special user license) point to point communications, or used special support from local cell towers. It was very proprietary, phones from different vendors didn't cooperate, and it was rare even at its height. Some smartphones might have incorporated such features, but IIRC it was never present in flagship/mainstream lines.

As noticeable from the option of them piggybacking on local cell towers, the use case was less "out of tower range", and more "Push-to-Talk user experience".

My experience with such phones is about 15 years out of date :) But I can tell you this. They were used on a company basis specifically for communication within that company by drivers and site managers. It required all to be using the same brand and style of phone, bypassed towers entirely, and was basically a combination of old school walkie talkies taped to a cell phone at the time.

It is I think something that likely has had technology pass it by as a useful tool, becoming an overspecialized niche competing against voip style applications.

Edit: This was also for use in areas such as quarries, mountains or out of town construction sites, which 15 years ago wouldn't have great cell coverage but now we would be shocked if we couldn't get data there.

Last edited:
Back