With Great Power... [Zerg SI, Crossover, Eventual Multicross]

Should the Wraith do the Smart thing, or the Evil thing?

• Smart thing that isn't evil.

Votes: 131 53.3%
  • Evil thing that isn't smart.

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Do both.

Votes: 89 36.2%

• Total voters
Will our protagonist have a Hero / Messiah complex? Is there an end goal apart from (get stronger)? Will our protagonist be able to communicate with other homo-sapients? Will he try to upgrade his mental faculties?

Interested in the continuation. Trying to science this out is amusing.

PS, don't forget to utilize the different energy sources and enviorments. This is no longer a game. (The closer to the core, the hotter it is, thermal energy. Natural gasses replacement for vespene? Asteroids for minerals? Ocean has biological matter. Salt. H2O good fuel?)

Just something to nitpick over, black absorbs more frequencies of light that just green. There were some carbontubes or something that were made into a sheet that's meant to absorb microwaves as well,[edit: basically 2-5x better solar panels] this was 5-15 years ago when I saw the short documentary. Like with most new tech things, it doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere.
This is a common misconception. The reason plants are green is a fairly simple one. Green light is useless and over saturating.
You see, of the visible spectrum, the green wavelength size makes up a third of the spectrum, significantly larger than any other colour. It also carries the least energy of any colour. By filtering out green light, the chlorophyll can actually generate more energy than if it absorbed it.

Essentially, light in and of itself is not the source on the plant's energy. Light is just a catalyst for the generation of energy*. Thus you need to get lots of energetic light to cause heat and electron movement in the cells. Hence, green light, having very low energy but also making up a significantly large chunk of the spectrum, is simply better off being filtered out.

There are some plants that do use green light, however. Those plants are ones that live in areas where the more beneficial light (red and blue) are less available, such as under water. In these situations, green light will actually reach deeper under water than red or blue, allowing the plant to photosynthesise in places that normally wouldn't see any useful light. Note, however, that these plants rarely grow very large.

(*Think of it like a nuclear power plant. The nuclear radiation isn't the source of the power, the source of power is the motion of the turbines. The turbines are moved by steam, which is heated by the nuclear material. Basically, a nuclear power plant is just a really advanced steam engine. Likewise, plants don't eat light, they eat water and CO2​. The light is used to break the CO2​ and it mix with the water to create O2​ and Glucose.)

Secondly, that microwave absorption sheet you mention isn't for absorbing environmental energy. It was for absorbing directed microwaves from an orbital solar collector. Much more efficient for us, but of limited use to the Zerg I would think.

Last edited:
This is a common misconception. The reason plants are green is a fairly simple one. Green light is useless and over saturating.
You see, of the visible spectrum, the green wavelength size makes up a third of the spectrum, significantly larger than any other colour. It also carries the least energy of any colour. By filtering out green light, the chlorophyll can actually generate more energy than if it absorbed it.

Essentially, light in and of itself is not the source on the plant's energy. Light is just a catalyst for the generation of energy. Thus you need to get lots of energetic light to cause heat and electron movement in the cells. Hence, green light, having very low energy but also making up a significantly large chunk of the spectrum, is simply better off being filtered out.

Secondly, that microwave absorption sheet you mention isn't for absorbing environmental energy. It was for absorbing directed microwaves from an orbital solar collector. Much more efficient for us, but of limited use to the Zerg I would think.
zerg leviathan that morphs into a giant solar collector and proceeds to use energy to grow into a full zerg dyson sphere

zerg gets its claws on wraith hiveship
Funny thing is that the zerg are better at biotech than the Wraith except in a few rather narrow places. The thing that the Wraith have that the zerg need though are A. hyperdrives, B. organic based plasma weaponry, and C. beaming tech. Only the middle one will be easy to reverse engineer by the zerg.

Funny thing is that the zerg are better at biotech than the Wraith except in a few rather narrow places. The thing that the Wraith have that the zerg need though are A. hyperdrives, B. organic based plasma weaponry, and C. beaming tech. Only the middle one will be easy to reverse engineer by the zerg.

Wait, Zerg Biotech is better than the wraith? I thought it was the other way around?

Wait, Zerg Biotech is better than the wraith? I thought it was the other way around?
They have specialized enzymes that when combined with dead cells produce far FAR energy more they they should.
Honestly they produce so much energy that a single Zerg could in theory just sit down and keep growing forever.

The examples of crazy asspulls the zerg use biotech for are vastly greater than that shown by the wraith. Part of that is that the wraith techbase is bio-mechanical, and so a lot of their more crazy hypertechs are either technological, or bio-mechanical, rather than being purely biological. The Zerg by contrast are almost entirely organic, and have access to the total OP bullshit that is Psionics, which basically amounts to handwavium magic, something the wraith just can't match.

The Wraith might have an overall tech edge over the Zerg, but in terms of pure organic tech (not to mention speed of adaptation) the Zerg blow the Wraith out of orbit. Consider that the Zerg can eat an animal or plant, and add (only) their positive genetic traits to existing Zerg units. That's the equivalent of a human eating spinach and developing photosynthesis, without any of the other traits of the spinach. The Wraith have exactly one example of doing something like that, and its them evolving in the first place over thousands of years of their ancestors preying on either humans or Atlantians. The Zerg can do that in hours if not minutes.

The Wraith can pull some pretty impressive stuff, but very little of it is pure biotech. They have some pretty cool viruses and cloning capabilities, the ability to grow at least most of their ship's hulls and internal systems (though they require mechanical components for things like hyperdrive, engines, and even parts of the ship frame). The Zerg? can do all of that stuff just as well if not better than the Wraith.

While there are plenty of things the Wraith can do that the Zerg can't, I can't think of any biotech trick the Wraith pulled off that the Zerg couldn't. Bio-mechanical stuff? Sure, the Zerg will struggle to do it, if they can at all. But in terms of pure biotech, the Zerg rule.

The examples of crazy asspulls the zerg use biotech for are vastly greater than that shown by the wraith. Part of that is that the wraith techbase is bio-mechanical, and so a lot of their more crazy hypertechs are either technological, or bio-mechanical, rather than being purely biological. The Zerg by contrast are almost entirely organic, and have access to the total OP bullshit that is Psionics, which basically amounts to handwavium magic, something the wraith just can't match.

The Wraith might have an overall tech edge over the Zerg, but in terms of pure organic tech (not to mention speed of adaptation) the Zerg blow the Wraith out of orbit. Consider that the Zerg can eat an animal or plant, and add (only) their positive genetic traits to existing Zerg units. That's the equivalent of a human eating spinach and developing photosynthesis, without any of the other traits of the spinach. The Wraith have exactly one example of doing something like that, and its them evolving in the first place over thousands of years of their ancestors preying on either humans or Atlantians. The Zerg can do that in hours if not minutes.

The Wraith can pull some pretty impressive stuff, but very little of it is pure biotech. They have some pretty cool viruses and cloning capabilities, the ability to grow at least most of their ship's hulls and internal systems (though they require mechanical components for things like hyperdrive, engines, and even parts of the ship frame). The Zerg? can do all of that stuff just as well if not better than the Wraith.

While there are plenty of things the Wraith can do that the Zerg can't, I can't think of any biotech trick the Wraith pulled off that the Zerg couldn't. Bio-mechanical stuff? Sure, the Zerg will struggle to do it, if they can at all. But in terms of pure biotech, the Zerg rule.

Right, but the Bio-mechanical stuff can serve as an interface with other kinds of technology. for example, the Wraith were able to implant a ZPM into one of their hive ships, and adapt their hyperdrives for extragalactic space travel, which was technology from a completely different race, with different specifications. So if the Wraith could adapt lantian techology, what other kinds of technology could they adapt?

In comparison, zerg are sort of limited to organic essance, and AFAIK can't readily adapt tech from other poeple.

Right, but the Bio-mechanical stuff can serve as an interface with other kinds of technology. for example, the Wraith were able to implant a ZPM into one of their hive ships, and adapt their hyperdrives for extragalactic space travel, which was technology from a completely different race, with different specifications. So if the Wraith could adapt lantian techology, what other kinds of technology could they adapt?

In comparison, zerg are sort of limited to organic essance, and AFAIK can't readily adapt tech from other poeple.
True, but the Zerg have been shown to mimic tech once they understand the fundamentals. The Hydralisk, for example, was a direct response to Terran guns.

They can incorporate technology when it suits them however, though they prefer not to (a hold over from their Primal Zerg roots). The Infested Marine (and, by association, the various infested Terran buildings and vehicles we see) is a good example of this.

Last edited:
Starter Base 1.3
For the next two weeks I was mostly preoccupied with building up glucose, gathering up resources, and setting up defenses.

The Prospectors continued to buzz around, looking for new minerals to mine, and the drones kept mining away or clearing more trees.

Two days after I had built the glucose reservoir and the waste treatment plant, I decided to start spawning queens to start spreading creep tumors. The creep tumors now resembled short shrubby trees, and I worked on expanding the creep out to the mines, as well as around the area.

Two weeks after my arrival to this place, the creep had spread to about 30 square kilometers around me, clearing out all of the trees around me. The place looked like a huge green clearing in the middle of the jungle.

The mines were about 75 meters into the earth by now, and at a few new locations I had ordered the drones to form a strip mine. About 40 Overlords were flying around, and 200 zerglings patrolled the area, killing any animals that came too close.

A week and a half after my arrival, I decided to spawn 10 Spine Crawlers and 20 Spore Crawlers, placing them in strategic locations around my base, just in case I encountered something that my zerglings couldn't easily deal with, such as flying beasts.

After two weeks of this constant work, I finally started to feel somewhat secure. I had a good store of resources, didn't have to worry too much about fuel, and was relatively well defended. Now I could turn my attention to other things weren't as pressing.

OO

The Lodestone was starting to become a problem. It worked well for what I needed it to do, but it was terribly inefficient. For every 10 units of Psionic energy it extracted from the Khaydarin Crystal, 9 of those units were lost, wafting up from the extractor like a hazy mist. Thankfully the Crystal itself reabsorbed most of the energy, but the remainder that it didn't absorb was starting to create a weird warping effect around the Lodestone. The warping effect damaged the extractor itself, so I had to turn it off every now and then so it could repair itself.

Clearly I had made mistakes somewhere, so with my new found free time I set about figuring out where I had gone wrong.

Psionics required a very specific genetic sequence to work properly, and it turned out I had made a few errors when spinning up the new genetic code. After a few hours of fixing the code, I ordered the existing lodestones to reconstitute themselves, causing them to turn into the normal building cocoon. After an hour, the new and improved lodestones emerged, and I felt a sudden influx of Psionic power.

The lodestone was now working properly. The zerg now had a surplus of Psionic energy to catalyze our essence.

I mentally eyed the Lodestone with one of my overlords eyes. Supply was now keeping up with demand, and I had a small surplus. If I made another lodestone, I might be able to use Psionic energy as a fuel source as well, in addition to glucose. Or perhaps replace glucose altogether.

The other Khaydarin Crystals were still laying on the creep, gathering energy from the sun. they had grown bigger, and by now I had replaced the crystal inside the hive.

I ordered two drones to return and pick up two of the larger crystals, and then turn into lodestones. They did so, and when the lodestones emerged a few hours later, my hunch was proven correct. I no longer was dependent on glucose.

I gave a mental sigh. Well it was nice while it lasted. At least my zerg wouldn't be pooping all over the place now. I gave orders for more Lodestones to be made, and for the last of the glucose to be consumed, and when that was done and the zerg weren't pooping anymore, for the glucose structures to be reabsorbed back into the creep. I kept the creep green, however, for camouflage. I would figure out how to disguise my hive, and how to make tree like structures, later.

With that out of the way, I turned to another problem that had cropped up: digestion. The mouths at the base of my hive were having problems chewing up resources. They weren't really designed for hard rocks, dirt, and chewy trees. They were meant to crush up fragile mineral crystals and swallow soft sacs of Vespene gas. This, along with the fact that they were basically working 24/7, meant that the teeth were starting to crack and break under the strain.

In addition, the mouths took time to chew up each morsel, meaning that my drones were forming queues to deliver their loads. I was reluctant to make another hive to ease up the load because I felt that it wouldn't solve the fundamental problem. Plus, I had other problems with the hive that I will get to later.

My solution was as brilliant as it was simple, make a new structure that was a digestive system. It wasn't modeled exactly after animal digestive systems, but that didn't mean I couldn't steal a few ideas from evolution.

The first part of the structure was the Gizzard. The Gizzard was made with the strongest muscles and teeth I could find in the zerg genetic memory. It had a storage volume capacity of 5 cubic meters, could quickly and easily grind up stones and trees to a paste. It was mostly underground, leaving it's opening at ground level for drones to easily drop things into it.

When it was done grinding things into a paste, it would pass this paste to the next part of the digestive system: the Digestion Pool. The Digestion Pool was a large pool of the strongest acid in the zerg genetic memory. The Digestion Pool was much bigger than the Gizzard, and had a storage volume capacity of 25 cubic meters. The walls of the Digestion Pool were protected by a thick mucus, like a normal stomach. It was open air, and small tentacles, also covered in mucus, would dip into the pool and flick out stuff that wasn't corrodible, to keep the pool clean. The noncorroding stuff would then be dumped into one of the empty mines, until I could figure out what to do with it. The nutrient slime from the pool was then sent to a nutrient storage structure until it was ready to be used.

When I had finished designing this structure, I ordered five of them to be made, close to the active mines so that the drones didn't have to travel long distance. With that out of the way, I turned my attention to the last major problem on my list: unit production.

I didn't like the way larva spawned and grew. My ginormous Hive could only spawn about 6 larva per hour, for about 120 larva per day. And that was if I had a queen attending to it with spraying the growth hormone. Once the larva were spawned, they had to spend about an hour eating creep before they were ready. After that, they spent another hour inside a cocoon before they finally turned into what ever unit I needed.

I knew I could do better, but the question was how. I cast about through the old Overmind's genetic memory, hoping to find an answer there. No such luck, the Overmind had been doing it this way for as long as it could remember. Whatever solution I came up with, it was something I was going to have to figure out myself.

Last edited:
Been looking for more zerg fics, they have so much potential. How much nutritious slime can be stored? Did you keep the roots and could they be used to pull minerals from the soil?

Been looking for more zerg fics, they have so much potential. How much nutritious slime can be stored? Did you keep the roots and could they be used to pull minerals from the soil?

Best estimate, a 100 cubic meter volume can be stored as of the last chapter, storge will probably grow as the swarm grows.

Nutritants can not be drawn from the earth as of the last chapter, for now.

Last edited:
Back