Why Yes, I am an Evil Lair. (Worm/Dungeon Core) (No Longer A Quest)

Heads or Tails? (Vote after reading Chapter 9)

• Heads!

Votes: 85 62.5%
  • Tails!

Votes: 51 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think copying from SV to SB causes less formatting errors than going from SB to here.

Best thing to do colour wise if you aren't adding lots of custom coloured text is just make sure you use the 'no colour' option in the bottom right of the selection fame because that sets it as the default for whatever theme the reader is using.

I like the butterflies we're getting here, we now know exactly where in the canon timeline things are (ie. day after Taylor's first night out). Wonder if Taylor will take Lisa's excuse (I doubt it). Poor Coil, losing Taylor is going to be a blow for his plans of taking over the Bay, she really held Warlords era Undersiders together.

Also Squeeee! You used my char for this chapter (Good name change on it, fits better as a less obvious reference).

I like the butterflies we're getting here, we now know exactly where in the canon timeline things are (ie. day after Taylor's first night out). Wonder if Taylor will take Lisa's excuse (I doubt it). Poor Coil, losing Taylor is going to be a blow for his plans of taking over the Bay, she really held Warlords era Undersiders together.

Well, without the option to infiltrate the Undersiders, Taylor is far more likely to get in over her head, but I am not a dick, so I don't think I'll kill her outright. The temptation to make Taylor a primary character whenever she appears is quite stronk, so I may just have her join the Wards and then get relocated to San Fran or something.

Why would she get sent to Alexandria's Wards?

daddy go boom, Bakuda doesn't bug bomb fast enough, and then Buggsy, with a rep, and without any other remaining ties, turns herself in, expecting prison and/or birdcage for going Biblical. Instead, slap on the wrist, probation, and Alexandria gets a Ward with a versatile power and a hero/martyr complex, that happens to idolize her and has nothing left to lose.

Of course, that's not set in stone, it's just what came to mind.

That was the unnerving thing. When he had initially introduced himself, he had split the timeline, saying referring to himself as the new cape's employer in one, and as his master in the other. As soon as the word master left his lips, however, he had felt a surge of energy, followed by a rapid draining sensation and a cold feeling as his heart stopped beating. The sudden close to the timeline was so unnerving and unexpected, that Coil was harsher than he intended to his newest asset. Which may have been rather unfortunate, in the long run.
Oh hah, raid instances break precog?
chanting a rhythmic digging song,
Diggy, diggy hole~

Oh hah, raid instances break precog?
mentioned it over on SB, I'll repeat it here. In order to claim the position of Dungeon Master, you must be able to overwhelm a Dungeon Core's Mana with your own. This starts automatically when the claim is made. Unfortunately, Coil had no Mana, other than his own life energy, so he got to briefly experience his soul being sucked out by a crazy straw.

mentioned it over on SB, I'll repeat it here. In order to claim the position of Dungeon Master, you must be able to overwhelm a Dungeon Core's Mana with your own. This starts automatically when the claim is made. Unfortunately, Coil had no Mana, other than his own life energy, so he got to briefly experience his soul being sucked out by a crazy straw.
It makes some sense to have a "warlock" or "dungeon master" who can take over a semi-sentient, mostly-not core that is procedurally building a dungeon. It's weird to have this be an option when dungeons are fully-sapient and independently-willed beings. Hints that our protagonist is modeled on a more generic thing even in-setting, rather than being a unique creation?

Why the lower case C? I would think Cauldron would be with an Upper Case one?

Does the SI know anything of the Worm setting?
I can understand not remembering Coil, especially since you were Panicking… But I would DEFINATLY think you would remember Lisa/Tattletale.

It makes some sense to have a "warlock" or "dungeon master" who can take over a semi-sentient, mostly-not core that is procedurally building a dungeon. It's weird to have this be an option when dungeons are fully-sapient and independently-willed beings. Hints that our protagonist is modeled on a more generic thing even in-setting, rather than being a unique creation?

Non-gamer dungeons were a thing in the protagonist's home universe, although they were much more organic in how they functioned. All dungeons are sentient and sapient, but early level ones, before they expand, can be quite dim. Binding an infant core as a Dungeon Master doesn't have to be traumatic or suppress the dungeon's will, but it allows a guiding intelligence to have a significant amount of influence on the development of the growing Core. It also helps keep the young Cores from becoming absolute murderholes, and thus unable to harvest loot and reagents from. That's not to say that an Evil dungeon master cannot put terrible shackles on a Core, but it is more likely to be a semi-symbiotic relationship. The Core gets a mentor, guiding intelligence, and a protector, while the DM gets a source of enriched Mana, loot, and other economic benefits.

Not that it matters tremendously, since that's in the home universe, and I don't plan on getting back there.

Edit:
Why the lower case C? I would think Cauldron would be with an Upper Case one?

Does the SI know anything of the Worm setting?
I can understand not remembering Coil, especially since you were Panicking… But I would DEFINATLY think you would remember Lisa/Tattletale.

I thought I remembered the lowercase c from Canon, although I could be wrong.

The SI is a personality imprint only, and has no memory of anything other than basic language skills, as well as a few odd instincts. He understands the concept of mercenaries and soldiers, and knows that Coil is in charge, but isn't even aware of the existence of superpowers other than his own Mana abilities.

Last edited:
Non-gamer dungeons were a thing in the protagonist's home universe, although they were much more organic in how they functioned. All dungeons are sentient and sapient, but early level ones, before they expand, can be quite dim. Binding an infant core as a Dungeon Master doesn't have to be traumatic or suppress the dungeon's will, but it allows a guiding intelligence to have a significant amount of influence on the development of the growing Core. It also helps keep the young Cores from becoming absolute murderholes, and thus unable to harvest loot and reagents from. That's not to say that an Evil dungeon master cannot put terrible shackles on a Core, but it is more likely to be a semi-symbiotic relationship. The Core gets a mentor, guiding intelligence, and a protector, while the DM gets a source of enriched Mana, loot, and other economic benefits.

Not that it matters tremendously, since that's in the home universe, and I don't plan on getting back there.
So, CMIIW here, the MC has read web serial Worm, and somehow came from a universe with a naturally occuring magical dungeon? (to differentiate from sex dungeon and guantanamo-class dungeon).

This has been a lot of fun so far, and I'd like to see where it goes. Someone mentioned needing the manually move the dungeon core, but I didn't see anything like that in the actual story and don't have time at present to re-read it. It did give me the funny image of the statue getting up and walking to the new room, though.

So, CMIIW here, the MC has read web serial Worm, and somehow came from a universe with a naturally occuring magical dungeon? (to differentiate from sex dungeon and guantanamo-class dungeon).

The MC is a Gamer from a Mana-rich world that I have based off my own personality, but has total amnesia.

This has been a lot of fun so far, and I'd like to see where it goes. Someone mentioned needing the manually move the dungeon core, but I didn't see anything like that in the actual story and don't have time at present to re-read it. It did give me the funny image of the statue getting up and walking to the new room, though.

That is amusing, yes. I think that was an assumption from a zombie cracking his knuckles, but I didn't state that was necessary in story.

The MC is a Gamer from a Mana-rich world that I have based off my own personality, but has total amnesia.
Aren't they all, to some extent? You write what you know, after all. That's one of the reasons my writer's block is so strong: I keep trying to write outside my comfort zone.

That is amusing, yes. I think that was an assumption from a zombie cracking his knuckles, but I didn't state that was necessary in story.
Aah, that makes sense. I'm just waiting for the MC to realize he's probably absorbed a tinker-tech weapon or three, then equip zombies with friggin' LASERS!

Well, without the option to infiltrate the Undersiders, Taylor is far more likely to get in over her head, but I am not a dick, so I don't think I'll kill her outright. The temptation to make Taylor a primary character whenever she appears is quite stronk, so I may just have her join the Wards and then get relocated to San Fran or something.

Why would she get sent to Alexandria's Wards?

daddy go boom, Bakuda doesn't bug bomb fast enough, and then Buggsy, with a rep, and without any other remaining ties, turns herself in, expecting prison and/or birdcage for going Biblical. Instead, slap on the wrist, probation, and Alexandria gets a Ward with a versatile power and a hero/martyr complex, that happens to idolize her and has nothing left to lose.

Of course, that's not set in stone, it's just what came to mind.
Nooo. DANNY! Nit the cenotaph start again. The only way this could he worse is with smug shadow stalker sympathy.

Nooo. DANNY! Nit the cenotaph start again. The only way this could he worse is with smug shadow stalker sympathy.
Sophia would not get off likely, if this occurs. And I don't anticipate a canon Taylor joining the Wards when any other recourse is available.

Did the chapter address your concerns regarding Coil?

I actually think Canon Taylor would join the Wards if she'd been congratulated for taking down Lung, praised as having proven she's highly desirable for the Wards team after that show of prowess, and generally treated supportively by the authority figure/Protectorate Hero who approached her first.

Assault (possibly with Battery) would have been the most likely to manage it. Despite his jocular nature, he is actually quite perceptive, and the moment he caught a whiff that he was making the new teen heroine uncomfortable, he'd have done his darndest to spin any future humor to being congratulative and very clearly "laughing with her." Or gotten fannish and cheerleaderish.

It's a long shot, requiring just the right circumstances, but that would bring her in for an official meeting, at least, because he'd take away all her reasons for putting it off except "not wanting the drama," and playing up her desire to be a hero would be enough to get her to try it out.

The only other thing that would have to happen is a delayed meeting with Shadow Stalker - or at least delayed discovery that she's Sophia - until Dragonfly (at least, if Assault had anything to say about it, after her debut performance taking down Lung) had already made some inroads towards liking the other Wards. Vista and Aegis would likely play similar roles to Tattletale and Grue, and Clockblocker is a heroic version of Alec, right down to the deep scars that their light-hearted personas hide.

So... it's possible. Just... very delicate.

I'm currently thinking that Taylor's power would be super useful for finding out what is going on inside the dungeon. That might be a way for Lisa to grab her and involve her in stuff since she can currently sit outside the doorway and let her insects do their thing - which would allow her to start gaining some mana right at the beginning.

Edit:
I thought I remembered the lowercase c from Canon, although I could be wrong.

Since it is the name of the group, I'm pretty sure it should be a capital C.

Last edited:
Sophia would not get off likely, if this occurs. And I don't anticipate a canon Taylor joining the Wards when any other recourse is available.

Did the chapter address your concerns regarding Coil?
Mostly. Still weird he'd hire with such a spine is if he could help it.

I actually think Canon Taylor would join the Wards if she'd been congratulated for taking down Lung, praised as having proven she's highly desirable for the Wards team after that show of prowess, and generally treated supportively by the authority figure/Protectorate Hero who approached her first.

Assault (possibly with Battery) would have been the most likely to manage it. Despite his jocular nature, he is actually quite perceptive, and the moment he caught a whiff that he was making the new teen heroine uncomfortable, he'd have done his darndest to spin any future humor to being congratulative and very clearly "laughing with her." Or gotten fannish and cheerleaderish.

It's a long shot, requiring just the right circumstances, but that would bring her in for an official meeting, at least, because he'd take away all her reasons for putting it off except "not wanting the drama," and playing up her desire to be a hero would be enough to get her to try it out.

The only other thing that would have to happen is a delayed meeting with Shadow Stalker - or at least delayed discovery that she's Sophia - until Dragonfly (at least, if Assault had anything to say about it, after her debut performance taking down Lung) had already made some inroads towards liking the other Wards. Vista and Aegis would likely play similar roles to Tattletale and Grue, and Clockblocker is a heroic version of Alec, right down to the deep scars that their light-hearted personas hide.

Eh no. Armsmaster was the way and the gate of getting in. No one was going to get her in the night of.

Arms master still could have gotten her if she didn't his what are you and idiot card with joining up with the undersiders.

If the first no one but arms master can actually make that place safe to talk without effectively ganging up on her which shut her down faster than you can say flee.
As well none of them have the tech or otherwise to instantly trust her or have as strong a personal trust from her.

Please don't kill the poor innocent Danny, Mr. Automatonation~

makes puppy-dog eyes at the OP, which go kind of strangely with the cat ears

Anyway, had a question - does Dungeon Man get any unlocked things for either level 3, or for creating a bunch of slimes? He got the Undead and Machine trees by starting them, and level 2 had some associated skills.

Also I second sdarian's suggestion.

I'm undecided on Taylor, but I may bring her in. I have to decide what's workable for the story.

And... Um, I kinda forgot to put a thing on Level 3.

Level 3 unlocks Traps.

Yeah.

So I gotta retcon that.

And there will be a Slimes perk, but it takes more slimes than the more expensive units.

Last edited:
I'm undecided on Taylor
And... Um, I kinda forgot to put a thing on Level 3.
And there will be a Slimes perk, but it takes more slimes than the more expensive units.

Just have the notification details be 'minimizef' where he didn't notice.

You could have Taylor be brought in with Danny and imprisoned near him. If he helps them out they would have reason to help him. Insect options !

He could also interact with the Travelers. Marissa scouts and he absorbs the form...

... snip ...

I agree it's possible, and that it's extremely unlikely. Either way she has to deal with Halbeard at some point though, since if I recall correctly he's their Protectorate liaison/boss.

You could have Taylor be brought in with Danny and imprisoned near him. If he helps them out they would have reason to help him. Insect options !

He could also interact with the Travelers. Marissa scouts and he absorbs the form...
I'm just waiting for Coil to realize he has an evil lair that's actually more competent than he is. Every time he brings someone in to torture them in an alternate timeline? Zombies from the walls. Or just spawning a live grenade, since eventually the MC is going to figure out a way to designate him and all his mercs as either contracted creatures or minions rather than intruders. Actually... a contract with Coil or whoever's above him in Cauldron would make all of their subordinates count if you bend the rules a little and squint. That way you get an entire (unreliable) group of minions for no maintenance cost and only use one contract slot.

Then later the Travelers could be suborned by the Dungeon Core when he secretly cures Noelle by giving her a class assignment that changes her body and reveals the information he's gathered by spying on Coil with assimilated cameras. Either they take over as the "face" organization using the lair or the Undersiders eventually get it when/if they get the information they need to end their boss. I should probably stop here, or I'll ruin whatever actually happens with my expectations. Ciao!

Either way she has to deal with Halbeard at some point though, since if I recall correctly he's their Protectorate liaison/boss.
Sure, but His Blueness was only a problem because he botched the recruitment by focusing on stealing credit and trying to spook her into compliance, and then half-played along with (while objecting ineffectually) her scheme to infiltrate the Undersiders, only to (in her mind) betray her.

Change the dynamic of their meeting, and he's just ascerbic, not problematic. Sure, her distrust of authority will apply, but as long as he's not trying to screw her over for his own career, she'll have no particular problem with him over any other authority figure.

Sure, but His Blueness was only a problem because he botched the recruitment by focusing on stealing credit and trying to spook her into compliance, and then half-played along with (while objecting ineffectually) her scheme to infiltrate the Undersiders, only to (in her mind) betray her.

Change the dynamic of their meeting, and he's just ascerbic, not problematic. Sure, her distrust of authority will apply, but as long as he's not trying to screw her over for his own career, she'll have no particular problem with him over any other authority figure.
This is true. I can't imagine he was very happy that he didn't take into account or couldn't deduce everything that Lung got stung with, either. Or is that a fanon thing? I seem to remember his tranq interacting poorly with the venom or something like that.

Back