Why Yes, I am an Evil Lair. (Worm/Dungeon Core) (No Longer A Quest)

Heads or Tails? (Vote after reading Chapter 9)

• Heads!

Votes: 85 62.5%
  • Tails!

Votes: 51 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It only fails on this if Tattletale herself has no point of reference. As long as she has a concept of "mana potions," and a gamer might look at that fountain and immediately think, "That looks like mana potions from a video game," her power can put those together for super-intuition. Where it would run into trouble is if it also pattern-matched to "window/toilet cleaner." And since it's a bathroom, it probably would have context on "toilet cleaner," but would still likely give her "mana potion" based on the contextual presence of zombies (she heard them singing and was told about them) and on the fact that it's bubbling OUT of the sink rather than being used to wash things away IN it.
I think it is unlikely for her power to make pop-cultural references in order to explain / describe objects or substances. Yes, power may recognize when someone is making such a reference in a dialogue, allowing Tattletale to connect the dots, but it won't be primary form of expression to explain things, it will rely on neutral statements instead (not intentionally poisonous, meant to drink, no directly consumed by game producing it...)

I think it is unlikely for her power to make pop-cultural references in order to explain / describe objects or substances. Yes, power may recognize when someone is making such a reference in a dialogue, allowing Tattletale to connect the dots, but it won't be primary form of expression to explain things, it will rely on neutral statements instead (not intentionally poisonous, meant to drink, no directly consumed by game producing it...)

I'll chime in on this and state that it's Tattletale making the leap to Mana potion, based on something she overheard from Alec's gaming. The result from her power was something along the lines of Fluid intended to be drank to restore unknown energy.

I'll chime in on this and state that it's Tattletale making the leap to Mana potion, based on something she overheard from Alec's gaming. The result from her power was something along the lines of Fluid intended to be drank to restore unknown energy.
You know, if canon didn't give us an interlude where her power presented information in stream-of-consciousness words, I'd posit that it's more likely that where her power ends and her own logical leaps begin would be harder for her to identify. The mass of intuition about "intended to drink to restore unknown energy" + "blue like windex" + "half-remembered bit from Alec's video game" = "mana potion" would just all come together so she jumps to the conclusion without really puzzling all the lead-up out. If she really wanted to, she could trace back to what each bit that led to it was, much like many humans can with their own intuitive leaps...sometimes...but she just gets conclusions. Because it's intuitive.

I know that we have canon portraying it as strings of phrases, though, so.

Its a noted weakness of Thinkers in general as well. Garbage in, garbage out. Feed them false information and they'd stretch that bad intel to bursting.

It could immediately try to preserve the charade that Coil is seeing two timelines in real time and actually has a choice at any moment (rather than it already being made), and start making things to VERY WRONG in the timeline it's just been playing out a simulation of. This would entail making up believable bad things that he's only encountering in the sim timeline leading up to actually killing him in it, so he feels forced to drop it.
This is how it worked in Heromaker's Legacy, and, IIRC, also in Mauling Snarks.

Slime Tier List
While I work on the next chapter, here is the unlocked Slime Tree.

Slime Tier list

Current potential properties:

Containment Foam - convert part of its body into liquid containment foam, which rapidly expands and sets to trap foes. Set containment foam no longer has the slime's acid effects

Stone - Gives the status effect Sturdy, allowing it to resist a significant amount of cutting or impact damage, at the cost of being more vulnerable to explosives

Vile - Causes the slime to constantly emit a foul miasma that deals slow damage to all organic enemies. Smells absolutely terrible.
Lesser Ooze
MP Cost: 5
Upkeep Cost: 0 MP/Hour

An ambulatory slime mold with an extremely acidic body, this magical creature hunts by hurling portions of itself at its foes, and slowly eats them alive. Can move and extrude portions of itself surprisingly quickly.
Lesser Slime
MP Cost: 3
Upkeep Cost: 0 MP/Hour

A large globe of translucent, acidic slime, this magical creature is mindless, but relentless, and absorbs properties of anything that it eats.
Ooze
MP Cost: 10
Upkeep Cost: 0.5 MP/Hour

A large pool of liquid acid, the Ooze can hurl tendrils or globules of itself with terrifying speed. Unfortunately, it can no longer absorb elemental effects after the first one has been set, either upon summoning, or through consuming opponents.
Slime
MP Cost: 12

When it's pulled into a sphere, this slime can fully envelope a grown man, absorbing defining traits and features based on what it consumes. Slimes can have a variety of elemental abilities simultaneously.
Gel
MP Cost: 15

This beach-ball-sized slime is much more dense than it's larger cousins, and rapidly regenerates cutting damage, while ignoring most impact damage that doesn't actively splatter it. While it can extrude tentacles and change shape, it primarily uses its dense body to bounce around, causing significant damage on impact.
Symbiotic Ooze
MP Cost: 30
Upkeep Cost: 2 MP/Hour (0 when bonded)

A smaller ooze with an oily sheen, this creature can bond with one of your summoned creatures, or with an invader that has been incapacitated, but not killed, bringing it under your control. This gives the bonded creature acidic or other elemental properties, slime-like resilience, and the ooze's ability to create rapidly lashing tentacles.
Slime Mage
MP Cost: 50
Upkeep Cost: 2 MP/Hour

Slightly smaller than a typical Slime, this monster tends to stay a little more cohesive, but can generate and fire magical bolts of any element or property to which it is attuned. Smarter than the average slime, they tend to like hats, for some reason.
Gelbomination
MP Cost: 25
Upkeep Cost: 1.5 MP/Hour

The Gelbomination is comprised of dense gel and weighs more than 500 pounds. Molding the upper part of its body into a rough humanoid shape, it attacks with arms ending in shape-shifting bludgeoning or grappling weapons. Incredibly resilient, any parts that are cut off or blown off are attracted back to the main mass.
Slime Queen
MP Cost: 100
Upkeep Cost: 4 MP/Hour

A slime large enough to fill a small room, this slime can split off segments of itself equivalent to Lesser Slimes at no MP or upkeep cost, and has the ability to cast magic with a wide range of effects. Wears a crown, because it is the queen, after all.
Mutagenic Ooze
MP Cost: 85
Upkeep cost: 4 MP/Hour

A large pool of ooze that can envelope and mutate enemies into grotesque abominations under your control. Lashing tentrils whip out and snare foes, but the main body of this ooze cannot move at more than a crawl.
Mimic
MP Cost: 75
Upkeep Cost: 3 MP/Hour

This Gel can condense its flesh to the appearance and density of wood or some softer metals, up to about aluminum, as well as change colors. It uses this ability to camouflage itself as a normal object and lurk in plain sight to ambush unwary intruders. There are generally some errors, as the Mimic cannot technically see, but it is typically difficult to notice these errors before you are too close to escape.

Essentially, Oozes are the rogues, more liquid and mobile with either a DPS or enemy subversion focus, Slimes are fighters, multi-classing into casters at higher tiers, and Gels are tanks, with the Tier 4 Mimics going StealthTank and boosting

Instead of a one time boost I believe it should be for each non-vial (i.e half dead) power connected.

Last edited:
Skellooze: Skeleton plus symbiotic ooze. Slime tentacles to reach to ceiling and pull the skellooze up for ambush drop.

He should train Mimics to appear to be combat vests, helmets or big gun (IE Barret light .50) to lure in mercs.

Skellooze: Skeleton plus symbiotic ooze. Slime tentacles to reach to ceiling and pull the skellooze up for ambush drop.

He should train Mimics to appear to be combat vests, helmets or big gun (IE Barret light .50) to lure in mercs.

Why not every mans favorite, the A-10 warthogs main gun? That's now compacted for man portable size, and still has the same amount of firepower and firing rate?

Why not every mans favorite, the A-10 warthogs main gun? That's now compacted for man portable size, and still has the same amount of firepower and firing rate?

Well, the Tier 4 turret variant in the Machine Tree is a massive railgun that can only be mounted on the floor. The principles from the newly absorbed Minigun could be applied and upscaled, I suppose, as an alternate model.

In terms of the Mimic, there are size concerns involved with the compression. It's really more along the lines of Chest, doors, furniture, floors, ceiling, etc, rather than portable objects.

Symbiotic Ooze

A smaller ooze with an oily sheen, this creature can bond with one of your summoned creatures, or with an invader that has been incapacitated, but not killed, bringing it under your control. This gives the bonded creature acidic or other elemental properties, slime-like resilience, and the ooze's ability to create rapidly lashing tentacles.
"Hey, Tattletale, this is your new costume."

To be fair, it is a cut-rate Venom suit.

Take a Boss Symbiotic Oooze, and we're starting to talk. That would be a quite significant brute rating, elemental abilities and boss special abilities on top of that. Too bad about the mind control thing... but wait. The contract specifically stated that TT would keep her mind uncontrolled, yes?

I do hereby agree to be joined in mutual companionship with the Dungeon Core. Outside his walls, my eyes shall be his to see, my ears shall be his to hear, and my voice shall be his to speak, but my will shall always be my own. The Dungeon shall be my home, and it shall comfort and shield me from harm, just as I shall shield it from harm. The Mana of the Dungeon shall flow through me, and through it, I will transcend all boundaries of mundane flesh, so that all may know that the Dungeon has sent me. Though our agreement, all prior chains are broken, and even if I die, I shall be reborn, my soul protected from the Reaper by the Dungeon's will.

So Mote It Be.
Looks like it. So basically order the Symbiotic Oooze to follow TT's command? I think TT will be getting a suitcase or backpack soon, unless it can just hide under clothes. And maybe even then. Even if 'protection against getting shot dead on the street' is a NICE perk.

Symbiotic Ooze

So anyway, TT probably don't want to wear acidic slime, even if it gives immunity to acid while being worn. All it takes is a little getting stuck on the clothes, it gets off, immunity to acid goes away... ouch. All the ouch. So. Alternatives to acidic is 'other elemental properties'. Hmm. What would that be? Silicone/Lightning? Sulphurous/On Fire? Water control? Water cannon? ..actually, that last one could be both rather useful and appropriate.

Last edited:
Slime Mage
MP Cost: 50
Upkeep Cost: 2 MP/Hour

Slightly smaller than a typical Slime, this monster tends to stay a little more cohesive, but can generate and fire magical bolts of any element or property to which it is attuned. Smarter than the average slime, they tend to like hats, for some reason.
Hmm, I ran across an image on deviantart a while back that could serve as a elite/evolved version of this beastie.

To be fair, it is a cut-rate Venom suit.

Take a Boss Symbiotic Oooze, and we're starting to talk. That would be a quite significant brute rating, elemental abilities and boss special abilities on top of that. Too bad about the mind control thing... but wait. The contract specifically stated that TT would keep her mind uncontrolled, yes?

Looks like it. So basically order the Symbiotic Oooze to follow TT's command? I think TT will be getting a suitcase or backpack soon, unless it can just hide under clothes. And maybe even then. Even if 'protection against getting shot dead on the street' is a NICE perk.

So anyway, TT probably don't want to wear acidic slime, even if it gives immunity to acid while being worn. All it takes is a little getting stuck on the clothes, it gets off, immunity to acid goes away... ouch. All the ouch. So. Alternatives to acidic is 'other elemental properties'. Hmm. What would that be? Silicone/Lightning? Sulphurous/On Fire? Water control? Water cannon? ..actually, that last one could be both rather useful and appropriate.

It's Magic Acid, it only works when it wants to, but right now the unlocked flavors are ConFoam, Stone, and Vile.

I remembered that Pyro!Merc had some napalm and Thermite grenades, so those will get an honorable mention in the pending chapter as a cheap slime snack for unlocks.

Thermite and Napalm would probably combine to Molten, essentially making the Slime a living blob of molten metal. Which wouldn't play nice with other slimes, or nearly anything else, but would be absolute hell to try and deal with.

It's Magic Acid, it only works when it wants to, but right now the unlocked flavors are ConFoam, Stone, and Vile.

I remembered that Pyro!Merc had some napalm and Thermite grenades, so those will get an honorable mention in the pending chapter as a cheap slime snack for unlocks.

Thermite and Napalm would probably combine to Molten, essentially making the Slime a living blob of molten metal. Which wouldn't play nice with other slimes, or nearly anything else, but would be absolute hell to try and deal with.

Pit trap with some of those guys waiting at the entrance?

Or simply have a hidden pit trap, but the slimes in the ceiling. After all, people you don't actually want dead could end up pushed in that door. Actually, a visitors room just inside the entrance might be an idea. Preferably with two signs: "Cake" towards the visitors room, and "Death" down the hall.

Or simply have a hidden pit trap, but the slimes in the ceiling. After all, people you don't actually want dead could end up pushed in that door. Actually, a visitors room just inside the entrance might be an idea. Preferably with two signs: "Cake" towards the visitors room, and "Death" down the hall.
Turns out the visitor's room is also slimes. Cake Slimes.

A question - WHY did Lisa keep dying in the previous timeline splits?

And perhaps, the only reason the 'wrong' timeline closed would be due to Trump effect blocking that timeline from closing. As such, the other timeline was forced to shut down. (At least, this is the explanation Coil will come to somewhat)
After all, shards are Bullshit. There's no reason they COULDN'T cause a shatterpoint- actually splitting the timeline.
After all, the are responsible for the many possible Earths...
actually, there should be more possible earths but there aren't and that's because of the entities. they collapse alternate possible earths into groups because a conflict with an earth to similar to your own won't cause new data to be acquired.

Another was related to the contract as well, but based on the mercenaries nervously waiting outside the entrance. I thought maybe the right one had closed after all, but elements related to the dungeon and its new contract had been copied over by the dungeon's magic.

In all, though, good chapter.
this right here was my thought too. when i saw the drop coming i was already thinking. "you're too late you can't break a magical contract with shard BS because entropy breaking magical BS trumps space whale pseudo-magic."

Back