Trouble In Cretaceous Park (Mafia)

...and thus that an early claim of herbivore could be a lie to look less scum. Bleh, failing to complete thoughts.

Nah, I sincerely doubt the dinosaur type even matters, just because fluff is over trusted in the past, and LDJ probably wants to avoid it. The lack of flavour in the day one post indicates that too.

Anyway, feel free to have me highest in lynch priority for now, you should look for other players. I don't have massive suspicions on anyone honestly. Me mentioning I was a herbivore is just to actually have some vague information provided. I knew that people would think it was a bit iffy to claim even that, but someone has to give something. Really if you think I am scummy you can investigate me or something, but I don't think it was particularly scummy.

Personally I'm betting the raptors, they're inclined towards pack behavior and have the secret knowledge of how to operate doors.

I was gonna say there were no velociraptors in cret. period, but yeah there are.

Hmm, we are all on an island recently liberated from Humans. So there must be a leader of the resistance, maybe the T-Rex? would be amusing to have good T-Rex to break the mold. There is probably a couple of killing roles too, and I would guess some sort of scum team...

Personally I'm betting the raptors, they're inclined towards pack behavior and have the secret knowledge of how to operate doors.

I mean, if you think it's raptors, I suppose that might have been Megaolix being a bit too cute with the 'chaptor' thing, though I'd tend to bet on it just being a joke.

Personally, I'm expecting each player to be a different dino outright, big I suppose it is possible the scum will be homogenous.

Anyway, feel free to have me highest in lynch priority for now, you should look for other players. I don't have massive suspicions on anyone honestly. Me mentioning I was a herbivore is just to actually have some vague information provided. I knew that people would think it was a bit iffy to claim even that, but someone has to give something. Really if you think I am scummy you can investigate me or something, but I don't think it was particularly scummy.

We are approaching the first third of the first day, and you weren't even responding to vote pressure. That's bad play, or else what I suspect of trying to lay an alibi early. Scum are the ones who need alibis, the town has the truth on their side.

And we have eleven players total. We can't assume we necessarily have an investigator, let alone that said investigator will survive n1.

Or you could be a godfather. If we have a cop, that doesn't guarantee he can identify any given player.

So this really isn't making me more inclined to trust you.

There is probably a couple of killing roles too, and I would guess some sort of scum team...

... We have eleven players. The game can't last more than five days if whatever scum we have are the only killing roles unless protective roles exist and do a good job. A couple of killing roles could bring this to an end by night 3. This seems rather far-fetched.

Maybe this is why deaths are poping up! Maybe we've run out of fruit on the island and the herbivores are dropping like flies!

Okay I need to get into an not so joking mood.

From this message,
Trouble In Cretaceous Park (Mafia)

Game up. I'm going sparse on fluff this time so I can try to keep things on schedule without getting bogged down for hours writing fluff PMs.

We know we're not going for a super fluffy game which doesn't necessarily mean fluff doesn't have any say in this conversation, but I wouldn't put it past LDJ to still limit the usefulness of fluff in some way. Its supposed to be a game of patterns and deduction, not a game of follow the fluff we've had that be a problem in other games.

Oh, I completely agree. But if we have, say, five herbivores to four carnivores as town, and then two scum carnivores... Two scum seems about right for the numbers, although I suppose a two man maf and an SK or the like might exist. Or maybe it's just a serial killer. Hard to say, as we indeed have little info.

I think the two-man scum team is statistically likely. Lets look over the numbers.
11 people, if we just say everyone is perfectly vanilla 2-9 with the two being able to organize/coordinate how many misslynches can town survive?

Day 1 ML 2S-8T
Night 1 Kill 2S-7T
Day 2 ML 2S-6T
Night 2 Kill 2S-5T
Day 3 ML 2S-4T
Night 3 Kill 2S-3T
Day 4 LYLO

That is a reasonable worst-case-scenario map however that is assuming a straight vanilla game, but this is SV so complications exist that can help and hinder both sides, but innately cancel each other out.

Lets compare to a 3-8 vanilla scenario, keep in mind such a game allows for the scum faction even further vote control and helps lead the game to its worst-case-scenario.

Day 1 ML 3S-7T
Night 1 Kill 3S-6T
Day 2 ML 3S-5T
Night 2 Kill 3S-4T
Day 3 LYLO

Such a design seems highly unlikely imo, while yes its still assuming a full vanilla set-up lylo on day 3 with a very solid scum voting block isn't something I'd base design baring some very powerful town roles to counter act it.

The just an SK idea is possible, but if their is just an SK I'd assume unaligned individuals in the game perhaps some human survivors?

I mean, if you think it's raptors, I suppose that might have been Megaolix being a bit too cute with the 'chaptor' thing, though I'd tend to bet on it just being a joke.

Personally, I'm expecting each player to be a different dino outright, big I suppose it is possible the scum will be homogenous.
Whoops, meant to put a :V on that. I mean on the one hand raptors make sense for scum as pack hunters. On the other hand it's too early to actually seriously speculate about that and I thought the doors would make it obvious it was a joke.

@Rikimaru here is a quick bit of advice, you're on the chopping block this gives you soap-box power! You can start conversations start discussions of your choice because most people are currently looking at you. Your questions have the most stake in this situation as you're life is riding on them, if people ignore them and you end up dying and turning up town it gives them a mark. Now their are some things that you won't be able to get since this is day 1, and massive information dumps are something the community isn't a fan of.

Well, not much we can do about that. Unless we get crazy noodle spilling.
Crazy noodle spilling is kinda a good chunk of what I was referring to with 'completely stupid'. The only reason I was at all happy with how day 1 of A Game of Light and Shadow went is because I was an executioner, not town. So many roleclaims. (I lost, but the point was town roles painting targets on their backs as a chain reaction from my fakeclaim was a not so huge deal for me because I was not town).

Something is wrong in the park! Ever since the Glorious Dinosaur Revolution forced out all the humans, the island housing Cretaceous Park has been peaceful. But no longer! There have been death's popping up all over the place, more than there should be!

The denizens of the park gather this day to determine who amongst their number is the culprit.

I have a feeling as though there is at least a Town vigi or one who wants to kill/eat someone, but also some dinos who are sort of designated prey. It's possible that the herbivores are sick and tired of being eaten by the carnivores and are trying to exterminate threats to themselves. Like seriously why would you want some stinking carnivores on your island? get rid of the humans, then get rid of the peeps who wanna eat you. Makes sense.

Then there is the probability of there being more than 2 factions. There might be a Carnivore faction and a Herbivore faction, and a flying faction, or something. Not saying I know if there is more than one faction, or what faction if any. Just throwing out ideas because may as well and if people wanna chat about it then sweet.

In the 6 player game I was doggo in, there were 3 factions. No doubt there are at least 3 factions in an 11 player game. Now, day phase we need to try and make progress on getting rid of the most likely threat. I sincerely doubt I am a threat. So you should focus elsewhere and lynch someone else, though it is very early days yet.

Hmm, we are all on an island recently liberated from Humans. So there must be a leader of the resistance, maybe the T-Rex? would be amusing to have good T-Rex to break the mold. There is probably a couple of killing roles too, and I would guess some sort of scum team...
Maybe we're going with an animal farm situation? That's sort of what I got from the whole 'Glorious Revolution' fluff.

In the 6 player game I was doggo in, there were 3 factions. No doubt there are at least 3 factions in an 11 player game. Now, day phase we need to try and make progress on getting rid of the most likely threat. I sincerely doubt I am a threat. So you should focus elsewhere and lynch someone else, though it is very early days yet.

That's an absurd assumption. Crystalwatcher's wacky games should not be taken as representative. Ultimate Hangman's Gambit 4 was a 14 player setup with only town and maf. While most of our setups have had at least three 'factions', at least if you count neutrals or serial killers or other standalone independents as a faction, 11 players is not where we can assume there is more than town and maf. And indeed there isn't such a point. You could, in principle, have a fifty player game that was just town and maf.

So there is, indeed, doubt that there are three factions.

And you 'sincerely doubting' you are a threat is frankly insulting. Of course you would claim you aren't a threat. It's day one and no one has anything definite to finger you with. Anybody, even the maf, would claim to be a non-threat.

It's possible that the herbivores are sick and tired of being eaten by the carnivores and are trying to exterminate threats to themselves.

This 'theory' shows you are either scum or haven't been paying attention. To yourself. You claimed herbivore. That means you are either scum, or this theory is bull, and throwing out theories you know are wrong is anti-town.

Like, it's frankly sad how your defense itself is digging your grave deeper.

We are approaching the first third of the first day, and you weren't even responding to vote pressure. That's bad play, or else what I suspect of trying to lay an alibi early.
Shit, I'm a bad player :V
More seriously, it's one or two votes, which wouldn't be a serious threat in most times, much less in day one. Let's be honest, if he seemed actually concerned by it, I may have put up my suspicion on him. Not responding to votes is a perfectly nonsus thing to do.

(Ignores the vote/s on me while putting on sunglasses)
... We have eleven players. The game can't last more than five days if whatever scum we have are the only killing roles unless protective roles exist and do a good job. A couple of killing roles could bring this to an end by night 3. This seems rather far-fetched.

He could be saying a couple maf members?

In the 6 player game I was doggo in, there were 3 factions. No doubt there are at least 3 factions in an 11 player game.
Uh.
That's an absurd assumption. Crystalwatcher's wacky games should not be taken as representative. Ultimate Hangman's Gambit 4 was a 14 player setup with only town and maf. While most of our setups have had at least three 'factions', at least if you count neutrals or serial killers or other standalone independents as a faction, 11 players is not where we can assume there is more than town and maf. And indeed there isn't such a point. You could, in principle, have a fifty player game that was just town and maf.

What he said, basically. I acknowledge it as a possibility, but it's nowhere near confirmed.
And you 'sincerely doubting' you are a threat is frankly insulting. Of course you would claim you aren't a threat. It's day one and no one has anything definite to finger you with. Anybody, even the maf, would claim to be a non-threat.
Also this.
This 'theory' shows you are either scum or haven't been paying attention. To yourself. You claimed herbivore. That means you are either scum, or this theory is bull, and throwing out theories you know are wrong is anti-town.

I think you're putting a little too much importance on shitposting here, though.

Shit, I'm a bad player :V
More seriously, it's one or two votes, which wouldn't be a serious threat in most times, much less in day one. Let's be honest, if he seemed actually concerned by it, I may have put up my suspicion on him. Not responding to votes is a perfectly nonsus thing to do.

(Ignores the vote/s on me while putting on sunglasses)

I meant the opposite of that- him saying that wasn't in response to vote pressure. I wasn't claiming he was ignoring pressure. I was claiming he wasn't responding to pressure that might justify panicking and claiming. Though this early, that'd be a bit excessive.

I also doubt we have more than two factions because LDJ claimed their next set-up would have no faction colors. Which should mean this one.

This is why my next game isn't going to
have
faction colors. Default text is equally legible across all themes, so
ha!

Here's the quote, as proof.

Now, I suppose you could do more than two factions without, but it seems more likely to cause problems. And this isn't that big a game.

Um. I'm saying him ignoring the votes isn't suspicious, though? I didn't say him responding to it wasn't, though outside spaghetti dropping to some extent, that woudn't be either.

Um. I'm saying him ignoring the votes isn't suspicious, though? I didn't say him responding to it wasn't, though outside spaghetti dropping to some extent, that woudn't be either.
My point is I wasn't saying he was ignoring the votes, I was saying he wasn't doing it as an action that is meant to respond to pressure.

I mean it's pretty amusing reading your responses. I am fairly confident I won't be lynched or if I am it won't stop me winning anyway. I do like throwing out theory crafting ideas though, because thinking about the setting is the more enjoying thing to do on day 1.
Anyway, yeah literally anyone would say they are not scum or a threat, especially day 1. However, every single game I have played or read on SV has had multiple factions and at least something slightly bastard. I am inclined to continue believing that mafia GMs are sadistic until I am proven wrong.

However, what I can get from YOUR responses, is a few things.

1: you either want people to believe there are only two factions, or you sincerely believe there are only two factions
2: you want to go hard on the easiest target who has done supposed misplays (which were more just me wanting to get discussion, which has succeeded)

So if you believe there are only two factions, that doesn't imply whether you are good or bad, since scum roles tend to have a bit more information at their beck and call (what with knowing scum mates), and if you're town you might just not have any fluff that gives extra info.

If you want people to believe there are only two factions, then that implies you are a member of a third or fourth faction and hope to hide as a towny.....

I meant the opposite of that- him saying that wasn't in response to vote pressure. I wasn't claiming he was ignoring pressure. I was claiming he wasn't responding to pressure that might justify panicking and claiming. Though this early, that'd be a bit excessive.

I also doubt we have more than two factions because LDJ claimed their next set-up would have no faction colors. Which should mean this one.

Here's the quote, as proof.

Now, I suppose you could do more than two factions without, but it seems more likely to cause problems. And this isn't that big a game.

Nevermind, I suppose that makes sense, though I think that makes it even more likely that everyone has an individual power and something is odd.

My point is I wasn't saying he was ignoring the votes, I was saying he wasn't doing it as an action that is meant to respond to pressure.
I was just doing it to give some sort of information. I don't want to be lynched, but I also much prefer giving some sort of knowledge if I can. Whether or not it is truly helpful to town or not, I just like doing it.

Ah. Yeah, that's a bit... Hum. I can't call it shady, it's just kinda... Weak?
Nevermind, I suppose that makes sense, though I think that makes it even more likely that everyone has an individual power and something is odd.
Hey, thanks for the power role claim, can you not do that in the future?

I mean, ideally we want to lynch scum or bad players, and right now, Rikimaru, you look like one or both of those to me.

Back