Trails of Tera Steel (Kiseki-inspired Pokemon Academy Quest)

Well either way it seems Elise may get an Armorougue or Ceruledge in the future (ghost type trainer Elise confirmed?)
God, I see what you have done for Elise and I want that for myself.
How would Erika know the spell if we didn't teach it to her first?
Presumably we just give her the training manual and she reads it, and then teaches it to us/our pokemon aha.
Training Manual "Sealing Spell": Is a Training Manual for a Fiendish Dark-Type Move. Pioneered by monks of the Geomantic Church as a way to seal hostile Ghost and Dark Pokemon. It traps and separates the offending Pokemon from using or manipulating Type Energy. Is needed to repair damaged Ruin Stakes. Has no effect on deactivated or destroyed Stakes. Mariana needs 12 KNOW to be able to teach to a Pokemon. Can only be learned by a 6th Badge Level Psychic or Dark Type Pokemon. Requires them to have mastered a Complex Move.
Erika learns it, we work with Erika to teach it to Renne (assuming we dont get a different pokemon) and we wont even need 12 KNOW. Everyone wins!

...as in, she has high KNOW, isn't the Sealing spell a book we have? Maybe she could learn it and teach our pokemon? Or maybe she eventually gets a Dark or Psychic type and goes with us to seal the stakes?

It's a completely valid way to do it, we don't need to do it all alone, specially on a Stat we aren't very good at

From the same book we would learn it from.

We need both a powerful pokemon, and the intelligence to figure out what the scribblings of a priest mean in terms of "how to teach move to pokemon". The later doesn't have to be us, but it does require Erika to be willing to spend significant amounts of time - 5 AP equivalent to put it into quest terms - on it for us. That requires a stronger bond auch as Erika telling Mariana how she really feels anf Msriana feeling the same.

If we were to somehow teach someone the skill it would be waaay later, plus only people with psychic or dark types fro, what I remember are: Mary (Renne), Elise (Murkrow), Ostia with ome of her psychic types (argy) which would probably be a bad idea as long as they are under the thump of whatever evil organization they are and theodora with Sharon the future Delphox (maybe the totally not Zoroark maid?)

Edit: Either way we still need to wait till we have Renne at the 6 badge level, which hopefully we would have bonded with her by then and probably evolved her to Meowstic)

Last edited:
The sealing move would be pretty broken in an actual fight (assuming it isn't illegal for some reason), especially if the opponent is a ranged special attacker

Thinking of Type Null. We know the Alolan plot has concluded, but we're now seeing some of the Aether Foundations work way over here.

What are the odds Faba or Lusamine was recruited by the presumed Ouroboros stand-in? Allowing them to continue their misdeeds in new regions, as per Trails tradition.

Decent odds Lt. Surge got the same treatment as well. Considering he's getting involved in supervillainy in completely different regions these days.

I'm sorry, I have to.

Do not apologise. You did good.

I mean it's kinda balanced.

Sure, screws with the opponent hard, but it only works on Ghost and Dark types. So long as you're not one of those two types you'll be good.
Conveniently, it works on two of the types Renne is weak to. Which would be a wonderful surprise for any opponent who thinks they have the type advantage.

Last edited:
Gym Trainer Battle 1d20+13Roll. DC 14

Literally Impossible to fail. How well do you do?
This is strategy, Mariana is simply underperforming so Gym Leader Katie will underestimate us, and start off with a weaker pokemon.

We're currently 30xp away from KNOW 8, so as long as Mariana goes full head empty meathead for the realist of the Exercise we should be able to do a full KNOW turn next week to take advantage of our trait.
Come on Arvis, give us 20 more EXP, you know you want to, push us right to the limit.

We have more important things to do next week than Study.

Like cute cat dates!
We have finish KNOWmaxxing before we can move on! Then after that I think we should try and get CHRM to 13 somehow, then I'm thinking we get PROW up to match it. SKLL seems like it'll rise enough on its own considering we want to keep getting stronger right now.

But once we get to KNOW 8 I'll be glad to be able to do something else. I don't think we'll ever get to KNOW 12 and train the sealing move in time for summer break, so I'm writing that off as a lost cause and vote for Erika to learn it instead and teach it to Renne.

Erika bonding action by traveling to Andosin and meeting our parents.
Erika travels to Andosin and meets Mary's parents.

Mary's mother gives her her mother's wedding ring so that she can propose to "anyone she wants, wink".

Mary's father gruffly pulls Erika aside and tells her a story about this time a kid bullied Mary, and he was prepared to take his Pokemon and go burn down all their worldly possessions. He didn't need to, because Mary is a capable girl who punched him in his face herself. But he would have, if she hadn't solved the problem.

Erika spends every single one of her AP that week either at Mary's side or taking actions to win her parent's approval.

Mary and Erika dance together under the stars.

Erika invites Mary to come and meet her parents and see the place where she was raised.

Their parents invite the respective kids back over every week. They take them up on it every year for the duration of the quest.

Mary catches Erika an Applin. Erika shows Mary a pond of wild Luvdisc, and talks about how cute it would be to have an aquarium of Luvdisc in a house she shares with a partner one day.

They still haven't confessed.

Shut up there's politics we're deep-diving out of order again.

While your Group was fighting with Lokix and Spidops' band of wild Pokemon yesterday, a pasture nearby had been attacked by the other member of what the locals are now calling the Triad; Ninjask. The Bug Type had led a decent number of Nincada and a Shedinja of all things to try and steal some of the local Wooloo and Skiddo.
Here I was connecting Yin to the Rocket plot when it seems that the role of Yin's Triad-like employers are all Pokémon (this is not what's happening). Interesting that you've got three Bug types with this sort of...theming? They're all martial artists or ninjas or other people who wouldn't look out of place in a shlocky orientalist 80's action film, generally. All working together. To hassle the town with the Bug-type Gym Leader. Hm.

"They are very fluffy, yes." You look over to Ostia who's riding atop one of the Wooloo, a small flock of them following behind, being led by Argy and Poly. You feel something pull on your braid and with your free hand, you flick the nose of the Wooloo you're carrying. Little hellion was trying to eat your hair!

Drilbur, who's carrying her own Wooloo and waddling along next to you, snickers at the sight.

Even back in the Highlands, raising and herding Wooloo flocks were a big part of your life. So you know what to expect and do, which is why you've been paired with the kid while Elise and Theodora are off looking for the Skiddo.
Everyone goes on and on about Mongol horses, but you can't eat horses. Well you can, and they did, but then you can't ride them after, and have you tried wearing clothes made of horse hair? Mongol sheep, now, that's what kept the largest land empire the world has ever seen fed and clothed.

Wooloo are somehow both even fluffier and even dumber than real sheep.

Anyway skipping past the part where I went into a fugue state and made that last post of mine,

The Skiddo turns to face her, hooves pawing at the ground as it readies for another attack. She readies her stance, sheathing Rin in order to prepare for an Autumn Leaf Cutter.

An attack from the 4th Form of the Eight Leaves, One Blade School of Swordsmanship. Developed by Shinwan Honedge trainers while observing the movements and battles of Bug and Grass Pokemon like Scyther and Leavanny. A manipulation of Tera Energy to temporarily manifest an attack of utmost precision. A perfect strike.
So as a sequel to the post I just did in real time for like...eight updates before this one, we get some more details on this world's version of Eight Leaves One Blade. It's a form of martial arts based on humans observing how Pokémon fight, rather than the other way around. We see Elise using it in the way Honedge trainers, presumably, do, by directly wielding the swordmon, using its Tera Energy and the trainer's form, a kind of custom move that blends human and Pokémon together. I have some off-site confirmation from Arvis that Pokémon capable of wielding weapons, not just Pokémon who are weapons, can use 8L1B techniques - like Chairman Rose's Perrserker and Escavalier, fitting his role as this universe's version of nationalist swordweeb Colonel Richard. It also calls out Autumn Leaf Cutter as specifically inspired by the bladed Moves of Leavanny and Scyther, two roughly human-shaped Pokémon who use their natural weapons and Bug-type energy to cut plants (hence the name), so likely it's using Bug-type Tera Energy (and maybe Grass too). Should be effective on a grass goat.

Elise exhales and briefly looks around her, circling their makeshift arena is a small herd of Skiddo, one led by her current opponent. According to what Sharon translated to Thea, the Skiddo were kept in line by Pietro's Growlithe. But after yesterday, one of the stronger Skiddo took over in Growlithe's absence.. He's now looking to lead the other Skiddo out to greener pastures.

So here she is, challenging him to a battle. If she wins they go back with her and Thea to the herder, if the Pokemon wins the both of them go back empty handed and pretend they never even saw any Skiddo. Essentially a challenge for the leadership of the herd.

If they went with Thea's plan, they'd have just knocked out all of the Skiddo and had Sharon levitate them all back to the pasture. She refused and argued with her friend to let her do this.

The Skiddo didn't flee just because they were scared but because they lost confidence. Places like Cortondo and her own home of Montnevera rely on that gray area between Trainer and Wild Pokemon for their livelihoods are built on those same Pokemon thinking it's better to coexist alongside humans than to live in the wild.
So here's the thing about goats.

Goats are orders of magnitude smarter than sheep. I'd argue that many of them are smarter than many people, but that's neither here nor there. Rather than the flocking behavior you get with domesticated sheep, even domesticated goats are well known to have a specific leader to look to for direction, and if you want to herd goats or keep goats, you need to establish yourself or some proxy who'll listen to you as that leader.

DRAGON: ASSERT DOMINANCE.

Quiet you you're in the wrong Quest.

Assuming Skiddo work even a little like real goats, Elise is right here. Thea's way would work fine on sheep, who as we see above don't question being manhandled into place as long as they're not afraid (or are being startled in the correct direction). Goats need a reason and they need a leader of some kind who will serve the interests of the herd. And so, Elise steps forth to play the goat-dog and...

DRAGON:

*sigh* assert dominance. And really, she points out quite reasonably that this is how the rural parts of the Pokémon world, or at least this Pokémon world, work. You don't jam every single Pokémon who's symbiotic with human society and economy in a ball and train them to fight shit, you take "Wild" Pokémon and domesticate them, the same as real animals. Or at least to the level that goats and cats are domesticated where it really is more of just introducing the animal into an environment where it gets advantages from cooperating with humans. In this case, defense from predators, which is what Elise needs to prove humans can still provide.

Also I don't usually source my wild assertions but I did get a pretty fascinating article at the top of my google results this time that informed my memery about dominance.

The Skiddo have, in their eyes, a good reason to try and leave. Stomping them all down like what Thea wanted would just breed resentment that the locals will have to deal with. Challenging them on their own terms might cause them to grumble, but it's the better alternative.

It's the duty of a Ranger to balance the needs of humans with the well-being of the environment and of Pokemon. One of the things Grusha drilled into her head in the odd moments he was free and willing to teach her. Thinking about it, she's not all that of a student is she?

Elise: "You can't solve all your problems by magically brutalizing someone into doing what you say."

Theodora: "I think you're forgetting who my faceclaim is."

And some more deets about Sir Grusha de Glaseado, the rest of which have been in posts I skipped over to get to this one. Noble, gym leader, Ranger - or close enough to one to serve as a mentor - and I'd bet still a professional snowboarder. Between that and being the prettiest dude in Pokémon since Gen V he's a real Renaissance Man. Elise's reflection on her lackadaisical studies here are also a bit of an echo of how Rean looked at his hiatused swordsmanship studies in ToCS 1 - he left the path on hold because he didn't feel worthy of it (because he has the self-worth of an empty Blockbuster gift card) which causes some amount of drama when he deals with other swordnerds. But we're not quite into the weeds on that, and probably won't be because we lack another swordnerd in the party (what with our combat hyperfixater being specific to Pokémon battles).

She looks at her opponent, the Skiddo is larger than his peers, almost going up to her chest. Getting hit by an attack from him would hurt. Elise pulls on her bond with her Honedge. Straining her ears to listen to his whispers.

"....strong , yet something bars 'em from the cusp of greater strength. Difficult, yet thou shall triumph, if thou focus." Her grip on Rin's hilt tightens, she ignores the pain in her chest, her ever constant companion.
This, though...we finally hear from Rin, and it seems that ghosts can communicate mentally similarly to Psychics. You just have to attune yourself to listen to the whispers. Rin speaks with an archaic dialect (probably being quite the old sword), and plays another note in the same referential song. Although it's probably more meant to be saying "this Skiddo is powerful enough to evolve but hasn't yet for personal reasons" than being an echo of Laura talking about Rean's sword skills in ToCS.

And then there's the pain in her chest, "her constant companion". This, this, is definitely a direct Trails parallel, a deep and important enough one that I'm not going to go all in on it yet. What I will say is that Rean Schwarzer has a scar over his heart, and chest pains when he taps into an overwhelming power he doesn't have complete control of. Elise Montenix has the same, and it comes when she draws power from her Honedge...possibly in exchange for her life force.

Can normal people do that?

She spares a moment to glance at Thea, while she and her opponent circle one another looking for an opening. She's wearing that same neutral look she has whenever she disapproves of something. Elise pushes down that niggling feeling of familiarity whenever she looks at her.
Theodora and Elise knew each other at some point in the past before coming to Mesagoza. Theodora remembers, but Elise does not.
I am the pride of my freshman level literature classes.
"Well, it's better than I expected for a bunch of kids." Pietro says, sitting on the veranda of his farmhouse. You wrinkle your nose as he smokes a cigarette, you're trying not to judge him too much. That broken foot, now wrapped in a cast, must really hurt.
You know what I missed from Trails in the Sky when I played Cold Steel? Questgivers who are just kinda assholes. There's plenty of assholes in Erebonia, obviously, but very few of them are the ones you do quests for. On the other hand Sky 1 you're basically playing trainee Bracers so you probably just get the bitch work. You think Agate or Kurt or anyone with a letter rank is going to sign up to deal with that boomer lighthouse keeper if they can help it? No.

Anyway I'm not being super fair to Pietro here, he's having a time of it and I don't blame him for being sick of the situation.

"How common have attacks from Wild Pokemon been lately? Because when I—my Pokemon fought the big Skiddo, they seemed close to evolving. If something like this happens again…"

Pietro had a thoughtful look at Elise's question. He takes a whiff of his cigarette and blows a puff of smoke to his side.

"They've been a lot more common lately, used to be that my boy Cinders—that's me Growlithe by the by—could handle 'em. But with those Ninjask and all the other Bugs runnin' around, I had to get some help. The Yamper's technically my son's but he's been helping with the herd for a couple of months now. It's still a mess." Pietro has an irritated look on his face, he takes one last whiff of his cigarette before putting it out on an ashtray on the table next to him.
Pietro misses what the narration catches here, which is a worry that the Skiddos, or at least their Top Buck, are going to evolve if they keep getting in fights with Wild Pokémon - and it might have already happened if not for whatever X factor Rin mentioned was holding it back. Still definitely aware of the concern here that individual Pokémon ranchers with no formal Training training just don't have the capability to deal with what's Probably A Wild Hunt.

I've bumped the outburst about the Count down till later when I'm finished winding up to talk about the political worldbuilding.

"What the Joy's say about Cinders and your Yamper?" Peter hands one of the Pokeballs over to his father who immediately takes it and releases the Pokemon inside. Out comes a Growlithe who the herder quickly dotes upon.

"Who's my brave little boy?" Pietro cooed at his Growlithe, petting the hound's face with both his hands. Cinders responded by licking his trainer's face and all but hugging them.
See, Pietro's not a bad guy, he's just going through it. I am still gonna judge him for naming his son Peter though. That's like if my name was Luigi and I named my son Lewis. Without putting a 1930's era emigration to America in there I mean.

Not a lot to say on the rest of this other than a namedrop of Alice the beekeeper from last post, demonstrating that word gets around about our merry band of Zoomers.

"So, Theodora, any idea why the local Count is acting like this?" Elise suddenly asks while the four of you are headed to the Badajoz Ruins.

Unlike with the other locales visited so far, the path to your destination isn't as well maintained. There used to be a small Ranger Station near the outskirts of the ruins but it got abandoned when Ranger presence in the region started to decline.

"My, why are you only asking me now? We left the home of our prior clients an hour ago." Theodora has a teasing look on her face which causes Elise to look away.

It's funny how effortlessly you can fluster someone like Elise just by adding a little Ara Ara to your tone and not saying anything saucy. Girl's got no chance.

Anyway
"Are you alright, Ostia? You seem kinda distracted." Your friend turns to you, seemingly snapped out of deep concentration.

"I'm a-okay, Miss Mary! Just um—thinking about Pokemon is all. I heard there were uh—Psychic Pokemon in the ruins. So I was wondering about them." You think back to the Pokeballs that Ostia had when you first met them and you wonder. Has Ostia ever caught a Pokemon before?

"Well if you wanna catch a Pokemon just tell me, I can help you! It'll be fun!" Ostia looks down on the ground as they walk before mumbling a thank you. You ruffle their head causing them to giggle.

Ostia might be the worst spy in this Class that's probably at least 1/3 spies by volume. Mary hasn't caught on yet but Mary is somehow just getting the dynamic Elise and Thea have going. We got a hint last update that they and whatever secret society is directing them have been messing around in the Ruins and while we don't have firm details on that yet, it seems that they're not comfortable with the double agenting and whatever they're going to have to cover up here.

Also I apparently misread earlier when I thought Ostia caught Poly. If all of Ostia's Pokémon have been provided by their backers...then who are the Pokémon loyal to?

You make a whistling sound, Roland's signal to come back as he comes back from patrolling on ahead. The little Pokemon wrapping themselves around your neck like a dragon on its hoard.

"Don't you fall asleep on me, it's not even lunch yet." Roland makes a chirping noise complaining about you being mean. You resist the urge to mention how the little hellion just woke up, since you mostly used your new teammate Drilbur to look for the Wooloos.
I sure hope our team training option does what I hope it does and helps address some of Roland's socialization.

"Um, I think it was, the Nobles with the Imperial Family on top handle civilian affairs while the Paldean League and the Gym Leaders handle military affairs. With some exceptions, of course." You think of the supposedly special relationship the Highlands have with Paldea. Where the Andosins are self-governing under the Great Khural, a council of all the biggest and most powerful clans in the Highlands.

"Not exactly, while the Gym Leaders do operate as liaisons between the Nobility and the League, many of the noble households still maintain trainers under their employment primarily for the purposes of maintaining law and order in their province. But as a whole it's not an inaccurate statement for most settlements in Paldea. Though at this point there are more exceptions than not." You're starting to think that Theodora loves hearing the sound of her own voice.

Okay. Here's the meat of this, to me, the worldbuilding politics asshole. The Paldean governmental system, more or less laid out. To preface, it's similar to the system that Trails of Cold Steel shows in Erebonia, but different in a key way. The political conflict in ToCS, at least at the start, is fundamentally Centralism vs. Regionalism, as the civil government under Chancellor Osborne seeks to amass more power under the government in Heimdallr, at the expense of the feudal landholders who traditionally had more or less unchecked authority over their fiefs, with the two sides eventually coming into armed conflict over it. Paldea's situation is different in the details, so let's dig into it.

In Paldea, contrary to the more traditional feudal situation in Erebonia, the nobles lack the de jure military power of a feudal levy system, instead being focused on a mandate of civil administration and "law and order"...although it seems quite apparent that their trainer police forces are still militarized, perhaps accurately called gendarmes as opposed to the civilian police forces of countries like the UK and USA, or Erebonia's full-blown Provincial Armies. Meanwhile, the Pokémon League stands alongside the Imperial Army and Navy (and military branches like the Railway Military Police) as the formal armed forces of the state.

This is different from the situation in Erebonia most likely because Paldea is, of course, meant to mirror Imperial Spain, which maintained a central standing army from pretty much the 15th century on, with feudal nobles serving as its officer class, rather than maintaining their own medieval-style personal armies. Erebonia, by contrast, stands in politically for a very young German Empire (despite being a fairly continuous empire for a millennium), which through most of its 50 year existence still had some of its various subsidiary crowns with their own armed forces, at least on paper, even if its central forces evolved out of the Prussian army are the ones best-remembered in history.

For their part, the nobles running the civil administration seems like a pretty cushy job - as both the owners and administrators of the land, they reap the land's productivity, and can effectively set and enforce law over the people in whatever way they feel best, which has led to the severely class-divided culture and, presumably, a lot of tax Pokédollars ending up in regional palaces and pork barrel spending instead of, for example, in the hands of a visionary modernizing Chancellor.

We also know from earlier updates that the central government League's chief executive, the Champion of the Empire, was prior to the appointment of Geeta dominated by either the Imperial Family or the Three Great Houses, which in the latter case would effectively make the League subordinate to the interests of the nobility (although since the Top Champion is appointed by the Emperor, the Imperial Family always had some level of relevance as the kingmaker, hence why the Vasco Arnors are still the ruling family and the Medalis or whoever aren't). Geeta's appointment changed this historical dynamic completely because (paralleling ToCS's Osborne now) she's opposed to the interests of the nobility entirely and is seeking a stronger central government and less class-divide-dominated society, thus using all of the resources the League has at its disposal to undercut the nobility's civil administration. Considering that the League already formally controls the state military, and its leader is completely off the traditional chain of power being beholden solely to herself and the Emperor, it's not remotely surprising that there's panicked backlash from the nobility whose positions now exist at the pleasure of a commoner who really wants to put all their resources into Making Paldea Great...or whatever her real endgame is, it was impossible to tell with Osborne until well into the series, and we're just starting on this one.

"Could you list some of those exceptions, Elise darling?" She turns towards Elise who starts enumerating examples with her fingers.

"Well there's Levincia which is a Free City that governs itself and only answers to the Imperial Family. I think Fede is in a similar deal, though I'll have to ask Erika more about it. There's Cabo Poco which I think is run by the navy. And I heard Alfornada might be a Free City as well but I'm not sure." Theodora does a little clap as Elise finishes before speaking.

"Very nice, though you missed two. Medali is run by an elected mayor. Meanwhile…Porto Marinada is ruled by a Governor-General in command of League forces in the city." A strange look crosses Theodora's as she finishes her explanation.

A juicy cherry-pick of future conflicts to see here. Levincia, Fede, and possibly Alfornada are all cities (I guess Fede is more of a town) with Imperial immediacy, meaning that they have local governments that are outside of the feudal structure and are administered by the Imperial Family (and presumably appointed governors/intendentes/what have you) directly. Medali has an elected mayor and is the administrative hub of the Pokémon League, meaning it's basically Geeta's personal little model city (and the fastest-growing settlement in Paldea, seeming destined to be a second capital). And do you notice anything from the list of Gym Leaders?

Gym Specializations

Katie Aracelli: Bug/Normal
Brassius de Artazon: Grass/Rock
Iono Kissara: Electric/Ghost
Kofu Algaro: Water/Fighting
Larry Laureano: Normal/Flying
Tyme Quendella: Rock/Ice
Tulip Kihada: Psychic/Fairy
Grusha de Glaseado: Ice/Dragon

The Free and/or Democratic cities Levincia (Iono), Alfornada (Tulip), and Medali (Larry) all also have Commoner Gym Leaders. Feudally-administered towns Cortondo (Katie), Cascarrafa (Kofu), and Montenevera (Tyme) also have Commoner Gym Leaders, meaning the latter two could have the same conflicts we see here in Cortondo (I doubt Montenevera does because the Montenixes are established as based liberal aristos, though). Only Artazon and Glaseado have a noble administration and Gym Leader. Also probably intimidating to the entrenched nobility!

Meanwhile Cabo Poco is a glorified navy base (understandable if Paldea's navy is as important as Spain's was - Gibraltar spent a chunk of history as a glorified British naval base, even though it's a self-governing territory with its own parliament today). Porto Marinada is an occupied territory ruled by a military governor-general...who might or might not be the Duke de Medali, if I've pieced together the combination of Noblesse Oblige and Porto Marinada into Theodora correctly. The military is under the authority of the League, yes, but it wouldn't make much sense if nobles can't be officers, now would it? In any case, Thea is from Porto Marinada (which now that I looked back at the initial post, the Marinadan endonym for the city is indeed Marina Marinedo, corresponding to the different language between Spain and Portugal), and she's...I'm gonna be real with you. If Thea isn't a masked revolutionary engaged in a shadow war against the Paldean state for the liberation of Marina Marinedo and the reveral of its expansionist policies generally, I'm going to be disappointed. But we'll get to that much later, I suppose.

Also notable that the Duke of Medali does not actually legally rule Medali, at least not in the same way the Count of Cortondo rules Cortondo. I am sure Theodora's Shitty Dad is extremely normal about this.

"Why haven't the garrison—"

"Cause they've left us to hang!" The herder all but snarls, crushing the new cigarette he had pulled out from a pack of them, interrupting Elise's followup question.

"That malignant little Count is fucking with our lives and that Aracelli is too busy playing politics to do shit about him." You cover Ostia's ears as Pietro starts swearing and cursing out the local noble in charge. The herder got so agitated that veins started to form on his head. That doesn't seem healthy.

"The Cortondo Governing Council thing?" Elise answers for you, to which Theodora claps in response.

"Correct. Following Katie Aracelli's appointment as Cortondo Gym Leader, she established the Cortondo Governing Council. It was officially an advisory board consisting of the citizens of the settlement, made to aid the Trainer Associations in their responsibilities following the…decrease of Ranger activity in Paldea." Elise looks away as Theodora continues her explanation, a worried look on the latter's face.

"However it may have started, in the past year the Council has taken on more and more responsibilities in Cortondo, undermining the Count's authority." You can see where this is going.

"So the Count is letting things get worse, to what, stick it to Katie?" You respond, incredulous at the idea.

"I won't put it in such a way, but yes, that is what is likely happening. The Count has confined the garrison to their barracks under the excuse that issues in regards to poaching and Pokemon attacks beyond the settlement are under the Gyms and Trainer Association's jurisdiction." Theodora answers with a frown on her face, distaste clear on her as well.

Anyway, here's the frustrated local rant I skipped over earlier, and its greater context - the Count of Cortondo is clearly abandoning his responsibility toward peacekeeping in the area, but why?

Well, because the Geeta-appointed commoner Gym Leader set up a parallel authority with practical power even though it has no de jure legal power. The problem here is obvious enough that even Mariana sees it right off, but it's an unsurprising sort of political brinksmanship that both sides are engaging with intentionally - the Reformists undermine the Nobles' authority, the Nobles protest by refusing to do their job, the people get angry at the Nobles, the Reformists expand their authority and look like (and really, are) heroes for doing it. Repeat this cycle until civil war erupts.

(Also referring to the local police forces as a "garrison" is what makes me think of the Noble-led trainers as gendarmes or a militia, although I suppose I could be misreading and Cortondo is abusing his authority to confine an army garrison to barracks, which he shouldn't be able to do but is the kind of bureaucratic technicality that makes my worldbuilding feelings all tingly).

Notably, this is where we begin to bring in a third party, allied to the League/Geeta but technically separate, in the form of Trainer Associations, which seem to be primarily an homage to a third-party crossover setting I don't know jack shit about, Project Moon, but also strike me as a kind of de facto citizen's police force stepping in to replace the politically inconvenient Rangers and the politically recalcitrant Noble peacekeepers. This also strikes me as something I'm pretty sure I heard about in Spanish history as well but I've done enough topic shifting already. Suffice to say, if you leave the people to their own devices, they will find ways to protect themselves.

Like goats.

Anyway I'm actually going to split my analysis of this post in half, contrary to my earlier policy. Getting to the Ruins is when the plot shifts away from politics and into the secret society plot, even though they're basically stated to be interconnected, so this is a good stopping point because this is a very long post and I had a lot to say about the political worldbuilding.

Back