The Mandalorian

So a bit of fridge logic that occurred to me recently - in the season finale we see the Imperial fighters and bombers heading up to engage the capital ships of the Mandalorian fleet. We also see the Kom'rk / Gauntlet fighter/transports drop off the Mandalorian reinforcements to take the Imperial base and then disappear. Finally the episode was quite short by Mandalorian standards at only 35 minutes.

I wonder if they ran out of budget for what they were supposed to show - specifically the Mandalorians' smaller craft going up and attacking the fighters from the rear while they were focused on the capital ship. (And then having them getting damaged or shot down by the Imperial fighters.) It would be a way to explain why the Imperial fighters and bombers didn't follow the capital ship in. If nothing else they would have a strong desire to save their base since without it they're stuck on a barely habitable lump of glass when they run out of fuel.

For bonus points from the Imperial pilots' point of view that lump of glass might come with a bunch of very, very angry Mandalorians if any survive the light cruiser getting dropped on their base.

Wait so you mean defunct as in "not adding content"?

I assumed defunct meant "they shut down the servers"
I haven't played it in a while, but I'll check when I get home.

They added a couple more ships and the ability to customize private matches, but there doesn't seem to have been any plans for DLC campaign expansions or other stuff to keep the monetization going long term. Possibly because they got their ass chewed out hard over Battlefront's loot boxes.

you're not supposed to remember that, you're just supposed to think it's cool

anything deeper than the barest surface level prod at it reveals a bunch of these moments, it's been pretty threadbare on the details. the whole season has honestly been a weird pogo between unintentionally hilarious [derogatory] and just weirdly flaccid.

The NR never really stood a chance, partly due it's own general incompetence and largely due to relentless Imperial subversion. They've got them covered from several angles...

First, Operation: Cinder caused a ton of damage to everything, crippling the NR from the start.
The Contingency/First Order took the best the Empire still had and disappeared to create a new Empire in secret.
The Imperial Rump State was probably the largest Imperial territory and they were mostly harmless before just... becoming a part of the NR.
The Imperial Remnant was a (seemingly) disorganized collection of warlords picking away at Outer Rim territories, forcing the NR to commit it's limited resources to swatting them down when they showed up.

I kinda dislike that reinterpretation of Operation Cinder as a sensible plan to defeat the New Republic.

That's now what it was about. Operation Cinder deliberatly targetted the planets most loyal to the Empire, to punish them for the fact that the Emperor was defeated. It wasn't useful, it was a massive waste of resources by the Emperor throwing a post-mortem tantrum.

I kinda dislike that reinterpretation of Operation Cinder as a sensible plan to defeat the New Republic.

That's now what it was about. Operation Cinder deliberatly targetted the planets most loyal to the Empire, to punish them for the fact that the Emperor was defeated. It wasn't useful, it was a massive waste of resources by the Emperor throwing a post-mortem tantrum.
It kind of ran together with Rax's scheme at Jakku, though in the context of Empire's End and such it seems to have been part of a ploy to divert attention from the chosen survivors.

I'd ask if Gideon was running interference as an extension of that, but he's got all the Dark Council leaders who aren't Sloane there, so who knows.

So a bit of fridge logic that occurred to me recently - in the season finale we see the Imperial fighters and bombers heading up to engage the capital ships of the Mandalorian fleet. We also see the Kom'rk / Gauntlet fighter/transports drop off the Mandalorian reinforcements to take the Imperial base and then disappear. Finally the episode was quite short by Mandalorian standards at only 35 minutes.

I wonder if they ran out of budget for what they were supposed to show - specifically the Mandalorians' smaller craft going up and attacking the fighters from the rear while they were focused on the capital ship. (And then having them getting damaged or shot down by the Imperial fighters.) It would be a way to explain why the Imperial fighters and bombers didn't follow the capital ship in. If nothing else they would have a strong desire to save their base since without it they're stuck on a barely habitable lump of glass when they run out of fuel.

For bonus points from the Imperial pilots' point of view that lump of glass might come with a bunch of very, very angry Mandalorians if any survive the light cruiser getting dropped on their base.
Tbh I'd have expected them to just go over budget in that case. From what I've heard, it was the case for 4/5 of the new films.

Last edited:
I like Chancecraz's take. The NR struggles because the empire had been very successful in wiping out everyone who actually know how to run the government of the old Republic, leaving the NR with very little institutional knowledge or infrastructure for the political mandate it had picked up.

Tbh I think the sheer size of the Galaxy would allow for at least some people to be capable enough, but the actual damage done by the war itself is under-remarked-upon. Coruscant was gripped by urban warfare for the best part of a year, Naboo weathered multiple attacks after Operation Cinder, etc.

Almost feels like it warrants a whole show to explore and like they should've just recast or devised a new character in Cara Dune's place.

Last edited:
I like Chancecraz's take. The NR struggles because the empire had been very successful in wiping out everyone who actually know how to run the government of the old Republic, leaving the NR with very little institutional knowledge or infrastructure for the political mandate it had picked up.
Huge chunks of the Imperial system were just the Republic with a new flag stuck on though.

So, perhaps less exterminated the system, and more tainted it? They can't exactly exterminate the systems without destroying much of how the empire runs itself.

Wait So Axe had enough fuel to into Atmosphere but Paz couldn't catch up with giant Cobra chicken?
You could argue they're different branches maybe the guys living in a hole who can only have one person go out at at a time don't have enough fuel to keep everyone fully topped up and the mercenaries have the cash to keep a full tank on hand at all times, but yeah I had the exact same thought.

Space also isn't that far away.

If the fleet was suborbital (and they certainly appear to be, given how the cruiser drops towards the surface), then it could possibly only be 40-80km away, plowing through the upper atmosphere.

Last edited:

Yes... but in attacking those planets, they were also destroying anything useful to the NR.

Now then we get a double dose of dumb from the NR where... they also just destroyed anything Imperial.

Wait So Axe had enough fuel to into Atmosphere but Paz couldn't catch up with giant Cobra chicken?
I had that exact same thought. Then again, the Dark Troopers did the same thing last season, so I guess it's the chicken chase that's the outlier.

Almost feels like it warrants a whole show to explore and like they should've just recast or devised a new character in Cara Dune's place.
Yeah, fully agree that it was necessary to fire Gina Carano, don't see why that made it necessary to shitcan the Rangers of the New Republic project. Wouldn't be too hard to make a new ex-military character to take her place. Then again, it seems like a whole lot of projects got shitcanned (including, sadly, Rogue Squadron), so they may have just looked at their output and decided that they were too ambitious.

Yeah, fully agree that it was necessary to fire Gina Carano, don't see why that made it necessary to shitcan the Rangers of the New Republic project. Wouldn't be too hard to make a new ex-military character to take her place. Then again, it seems like a whole lot of projects got shitcanned (including, sadly, Rogue Squadron), so they may have just looked at their output and decided that they were too ambitious.
There may also be a certain unwillingness to do series which aren't anchored by a single recognisable character, Skeleton Key aside.

There may also be a certain unwillingness to do series which aren't anchored by a single recognisable character, Skeleton Key aside.
Skeleton Crew and also The Acolyte. But those were probably both already in the process of being created, whereas RotNR might have been nothing more than an idea when they decided to kill it.

It looked like a post-mortem tantrum from Palpatine at first, but after the novels taking place just after episode VI, and also with episode IX, I think that Palps' objective with his Contingency was to fuck up most imperial loyalist worlds of importance (or just plain important worlds, as I don't remember Naboo as being very pro-Empire), and also to destroy most of the imperial and rebel fleets with the Jakku trap, all to weaken everyone enough so no one could fill the power vacuum (neither an imperial officer nor whichever group managed to kill him) and leave the galaxy in a state of instability, so he wouldn't had much resistance in taking over the galaxy again with his First and Final Orders.

But things didn't go exactly as planned, as while most of the Imperial space force was destroyed at Jakku, the detonation of the world didn't happened, leaving the NR mostly intact and able to fill that power vacuum.

It looked like a post-mortem tantrum from Palpatine at first, but after the novels taking place just after episode VI, and also with episode IX, I think that Palps' objective with his Contingency was to fuck up most imperial loyalist worlds of importance (or just plain important worlds, as I don't remember Naboo as being very pro-Empire), and also to destroy most of the imperial and rebel fleets with the Jakku trap, all to weaken everyone enough so no one could fill the power vacuum (neither an imperial officer nor whichever group managed to kill him) and leave the galaxy in a state of instability, so he wouldn't had much resistance in taking over the galaxy again with his First and Final Orders.

But things didn't go exactly as planned, as while most of the Imperial space force was destroyed at Jakku, the detonation of the world didn't happened, leaving the NR mostly intact and able to fill that power vacuum.

Naboo isn't very pro-Empire, but it is Palpatine's homeworld. That's why it was included in the Tantrum list.
And yeah, I just don't like that whole deal.

I like the Empire and the Emperor more when a bunch of the cruelty they do is explicitedly for incredibly petty reasons, with no point or grander scheme behind it.
But right now you get this repeated statement that Palpatine never does anything stupid, is always 50 steps ahead, while the New Republic can't plan a way out of a paper bag.

The number one concern of nearly all dictators is being overthrown by their own underlings. From that perspective, retaliating against the Empire makes sense, because Palpatine would assume that it was other Imperials that killed him.

I wonder if Palpatine's contingency plan would have gone into effect if Lord Vader had defeated him like a Sith Apprentice should? Or had Palpatine written Vader off on the concept of the Rule of Two? (or was Palpatine's version of The Rule of Two meant that he'd take over the body of the apprentice that managed to kill him? Like what was retroactively implied he was trying to do with Luke after stating that as his plan for Rey.)

I wonder if Palpatine's contingency plan would have gone into effect if Lord Vader had defeated him like a Sith Apprentice should? Or had Palpatine written Vader off on the concept of the Rule of Two? (or was Palpatine's version of The Rule of Two meant that he'd take over the body of the apprentice that managed to kill him? Like what was retroactively implied he was trying to do with Luke after stating that as his plan for Rey.)
Until TRoS, it wasn't the case. Per Duel of the Fates Palpatine had an "in case you're watching this I'm dead" holo prepared for Vader. Sadly it didn't say "if it was you, well done my friend. I knew you had it in you." Also the Gillen run and Lords of the Sith has him encouraging Vader to be ambitious and talking about how one day, Vader will move to depose him.

As of TRoS, he either gave up when Vader got toasted or always intended to become the Sith Eternal.

glances meaningfully at Carson Teva

If only there was a character they could use...

Well, unless the Filoni movie is meant to permanently close the book on that entire era and everything possibly related to it, maybe there's a chance, one day. I mean sure, it'll almost certainly close out Din Djarin and Ahsoka because they can't keep Pedro Pascal and Rosario Dawson around forever but there's still plenty of other stories to tell of the New Republic's early years, its mid-life where it is (arguably) at its "height" and then the years leading up to its downfall.

Back