The Green Beast of the South (Legend of Korra Quest)

[X] Buy a Choker
-[X]
[X] Spend time with the kids

I honestly don't know whether to explore or to stay with the kids. I'm choosing the kids because I believe it will help us with our social aspects but if anyone can convince me to pick the other option I'll switch.

@Trondason the only reason I didn't pick yours (since it looks really good) is that it looks more like a necklace or pendant than a choker.

Maybe using my dust and earth bending skills to create a big multi-cart wagon with the form of a dragon that I could move in the air for the kids was a misuse of my powers.

"Weeeee~!"

But with smiles like that, I didn't care.
Misuse of powers? Lies. This is clearly the best use of his powers. :)

[x] Buy a Pendant
-[x] Simple durable necklace attached to a bright blue-green gem.

Goal: Both Li and Korra learn how to earthbend crystals, and they do something awesome with that skill someday. :p

[x] Explore the city

4 more days left--I'd like at least 2 more focused on city exploration. He'll still be interacting with the kids every day.

Those aren't exactly new styles, people already adopt things from other bending techniques (Also, note, those precies movements aren't neccessarily needed. The more awesome you are, the less moving you have to do. Bumi could bend with just his head, and Amon didn't have to move at all).

We made Dust Bending by combining in Water. Lavabending was decided to be hereditary, you got to have some Fire-bender blood in you, and we do not. I personally still disagree with this, but I don't run the quest.
First of all, welcome to the quest!

Second, actually I'm already using something like that, Li is capable of using dustbending by implementing waterbending style of thinking to earthbending.

Wait, wouldn't that be Air + Earth? Water doesn't float on the wind like dust does, I would honestly consider Dustbending to require a style of thinking devoted to manipulating gaseous elements, like air.

However, I do agree that Firebending should be somewhat necessary for a Lavabending style. While an Earthbender using foreign techniques to summon up lava from the ground and manipulate it would be able to lavabend temporarily, the lava would cool very quickly, leaving the Lavabender with just a bunch of rock. That's fine and all, but in order to continue lavabending they would have to continuously summon more and more lava from the ground, potentially causing tremendous collateral damage and in the process wasting energy that they could be using to smite their enemies. So a pure Earth Kingdom lavabender could exist, but it wouldn't be ideal. Having Firebender blood, however, would enable the Lavabender to create lava on their own by taking rock and melting it, then using Waterbending techniques to manipulate the resulting lava as they so please.

Water doesn't float on the wind like dust does
It kind of does. Mist. Though the reason why it's Water + Earth, is because we don't work with the individual particles in the air (usually), but rather a large flow of them all together, treating earth as if it was a liquid. If we want to get really good at applying it in while it's floating in the air, that's when Airbending would probably come in.
However, I do agree that Firebending should be somewhat necessary for a Lavabending style. While an Earthbender using foreign techniques to summon up lava from the ground and manipulate it would be able to lavabend temporarily, the lava would cool very quickly, leaving the Lavabender with just a bunch of rock. That's fine and all, but in order to continue lavabending they would have to continuously summon more and more lava from the ground, potentially causing tremendous collateral damage and in the process wasting energy that they could be using to smite their enemies. So a pure Earth Kingdom lavabender could exist, but it wouldn't be ideal. Having Firebender blood, however, would enable the Lavabender to create lava on their own by taking rock and melting it, then using Waterbending techniques to manipulate the resulting lava as they so please.
I don't see why Firebender blood is necessary in the heating of earth. Waterbenders don't need any firebender blood to heat up or cool down their element, so heat doesn't seem limited to firebending.

I don't see why Firebender blood is necessary in the heating of earth. Waterbenders don't need any firebender blood to heat up or cool down their element, so heat doesn't seem limited to firebending.

Well for one, waterbenders seem to have difficulty manipulating gas, as evidenced by the fact that Katara needed Aang's help to manipulate the clouds in the fortune teller episode of the original series. And for two, think about how much energy it takes to boil water, and then compare that to how much energy it takes to melt rock. You only need to get water to 100C to boil it, and most waterbenders don't seem to be able to do even that on their own from what I've seen (I haven't seen LoK, so correct me if I'm wrong). In order to get rock to melt, you need a temperature of 1200 degrees Celsius.

Most Earthbenders probably wouldn't be able to output even a fraction of the energy required to melt rock, even if they theoretically had the capacity to do so. Maybe a master Earthbender like Buni could, but he's an exception. Firebenders, on the other hand, naturally have the ability to manipulate extremely hot and energetic elements, like fire and lightning. Hence, the way I see it, you would need Firebender blood to successfully melt rock.

Well for one, waterbenders seem to have difficulty manipulating gas, as evidenced by the fact that Katara needed Aang's help to manipulate the clouds in the fortune teller episode of the original series. And for two, think about how much energy it takes to boil water, and then compare that to how much energy it takes to melt rock. You only need to get water to 100C to boil it, and most waterbenders don't seem to be able to do even that on their own from what I've seen (I haven't seen LoK, so correct me if I'm wrong). In order to get rock to melt, you need a temperature of 1200 degrees Celsius.

Most Earthbenders probably wouldn't be able to output even a fraction of the energy required to melt rock, even if they theoretically had the capacity to do so. Maybe a master Earthbender like Buni could, but he's an exception. Firebenders, on the other hand, naturally have the ability to manipulate extremely hot and energetic elements, like fire and lightning. Hence, the way I see it, you would need Firebender blood to successfully melt rock.
1) I think the reason Katara needed Aangs help, was because the of the SIZE of the clouds, not manipulating them. There have been several instances of waterbenders manipulating steam.
2) Much much harder (12x if your numbers are right), that I can buy, and firebender blood probably would help. But absolutely required? That is what I have an issue with. And Katara made a bunch of mist during her time as the Painted Lady, revealing they can phase change into gas.

According to Astaroh-M, even Bumi physically could not. Which, as I mentioned, is the part I don't agree with. Physical limitations, that no matter how good you get, that even if we could get S-Rank in every aspect of earthbending, we COULD NOT learn Lavabending. It's something that just can not be done if you don't have the right heritage. Relatedly, if you are a Lavabender, you can not metal bend, no matter how kickass you become, you just can not.

Last edited:
Vote Tally : The Green Beast of the South (Legend of Korra Quest) | Page 90 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.7.4

[10] Explore the city
[7] Buy a Choker
[5] Buy a Collar
[4] Spend time with the kids
[3] Buy a Pendant

Total No. of Voters: 15

Last edited:
[X] Buy a Choker
-[X]Black with a bejeweled Crescent moon and water droplet pendant with two small stars one green the other blue

Last edited:
[X] Buy a Choker
-[X]Black with a bejeweled Crescent moon and water droplet pendant with two small stars one green the other blue

Back