I'd send a signed message to Oracle. "Slade Wilson is setting me up. I did not steal the staff. I don't expect you to believe me, but keep your eyes open."

It should increase the probability of a good outcome at the cost of leaking knowledge of our Network supremacy. Though that speaks in our favor: if we send it immediately and detail Oracle's search, it proves we were aware of those systems and hence would not have left those logs.

may very well be able to bullshit the transaction.

Pooja isn't going to be able to bullshit a cryptocurrency supported by the various tech supervillains in the setting.

To bullshit a cryptocurrency like that you either need to have control over all of the computers running it or be able to complete the proof of work before anyone else consistently. Either of which is very much not plausible. The latter of which basically means you have figured out the reverse functions for the hash functions in which case all cryptography using them is completely open to you.

Fooling, say, BitCoin would only require a majority of bitmining operations to agree to your history. The larger that majority, the faster you quash disagreement and the less likely it is that it will be caught and BitCoin lose all faith. BitCoin's validity is distributed amongst all who maintain records of the transactions, and generally work based on checking the wallet's own history against that of as many peers as it can to make sure that the transaction you just accepted payment via is a transaction involving the legitimate owner of the BitCoin you now believe you have.

Not going to even GUESS what super-tech and super-genius cryptocurrency security looks like.

I will second the "step up and tell Oracle you know what's going on, and lay out your evidence" plan. Neither confirm nor deny a legitimate connection to TriD, but Calculator clearly has interest in something that is trying to frame him, and if his personal paranoiac monitoring systems noticed an attempt to frame him, it's just because they're really out to get him and he's thus not really paranoid.

Fooling, say, BitCoin would only require a majority of bitmining operations to agree to your history. The larger that majority, the faster you quash disagreement and the less likely it is that it will be caught and BitCoin lose all faith. BitCoin's validity is distributed amongst all who maintain records of the transactions, and generally work based on checking the wallet's own history against that of as many peers as it can to make sure that the transaction you just accepted payment via is a transaction involving the legitimate owner of the BitCoin you now believe you have.
I would like to add that having support of majority of miners will "only" allow you to revert recent transactions. Proof of Work is secondary to validation of the transactions in blocks, so even having 100% hashing power will not allow you to create Bitcoins (more than network is assigning miners anyway) or move Bitcoins from addresses other than your own, because block containing such invalid transactions will be rejected by all validating nodes, no matter how long such chain would be.

Last edited:
I just had a notion of where this fic is going, is SI\Calculator going to download Pooja into the Staff if her ever gets his hands on it?

Breaking the Law and More
Doing another answer and interactions session. Next story update will be early Wednesday.

Threadmarked as "Informational" again. Please see those for all such notes, as they will not show up on the story marks.

The Adeptus Mechanicus was right! There are machine spirits! What else were they right about? The Omnissiah?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

*Screams internally*

Uhh...

It's only a matter of time until people wear sanctified power armor, whose machine spirit sings praises for THE EMPRAH with every electron of it's circuits.

Your gear can pray while your pray so you can pray while you pray.

Praise the Omnissiah!

If these nanobots don't praise the Emperor it means that it's techno-heresy!

...backs away slowly...

Note: if you can scry afterlives it should be possible to set up one-directional resurrections, via copying the brainstate of the scried human. Would still leave their time-of-death version stuck in heaven, of course.

Unless the scry resolution is too limited for that, of course.

Do prayer effects stack with multiple people? Do they stack with multiple religions?

No to all.
No looking in into the Christian Heaven works. No one can get a sympathetic link to anyone in the other afterlives--all magic fails to target them. Except (maybe) some necromancy. And what it returns is straight-up Evil. Provably. Just cast Detect Evil and see.

If you get someone prayed for, one session per incident or injury, it works at maximum level of effectiveness or (for minor religions) often not at all. The big ones work every time. Stacking doesn't help.

You get a constant bonus of general good health and wellness just for being active in a major religion. Attending group events helps overall in your life it seems, which is a part of all major religions, and which is why (along with his background) the Calculator tries to be an Easter and Christmas Catholic. Those people still get a bonus for injury recovery from other's after-incident prayers, as that is separate from the general life buff for being an active member of a major religion.

maybe nanite implants to fine tune your body? Human body accumulates damage as they age. Even if you are feeling completely fine and no pain, there is still a little bit of damage. You can also get rid of your disease marker genes with nanites working on them.

Just say "no" to DC 'verse nanotech. DC medical tech isn't much better overall than IRL. Control systems to actually target this stuff is beyond almost everyone currently. The Calculator isn't an expert in this field and isn't interested in the decades it would take to become an expert. If someone else did, I'm sure he'd take advantage.

Or have her design a UI engine where all he has to do is drag and drop buttons etc. perhaps something like Unity's UI features.

The main problem is the iterative design of the hardware interface. That might work for user testing of simple on/off controls, but it doesn't affect things like "do I hook this up to an eye tracking system" or "when do I show this warning" or "which hero am I making hardlight counters for right now, and using how much of maximum power to avoid killing them". We're not talking a VB single screen interface here, but a complex, reactive, super-power-driving combat control system. Think F16 HUD plus Microsoft Excel plus Iron Man control systems.

Try to get Nth metal for protection against magic.

Maybe with his second billion dollars. Since he isn't of any of the magical bloodlines only the raw effects would work on him, not any magical enchantments ; so he'd need a full suit or at least a helmet for mostly mental effects, Magneto-style.

What if you use one of you're other false IDs to play the part of the private collector and buy the staff yourself. Then just, give it back to the heroes? It would at least give you a little leeway with them, enouhg for them to maybe believe your side of the story.

Because he could have easily fabricated that evidence. Calculator is a known high tech using info broker, who clearly has some, or employs someone with, elite hacking skills.

A more reasonable option is to pursue the hacker who got a demonstration of the Staff for an attempt to track it down.

He didn't, which I think is your point. The likely goal of the operation was to panic Calculator for subsequent pursuit and to give a trail of bread crumbs for the white hats to follow. With a potential secondary goal to jack as some high end hardware.

The Calculator knows how both tropes and real life works. If he doesn't have proof, the "good guys" will go with the easy answer, not "waste" time looking into a sob story from a known villain. Recovering the staff is the only good looking option right now, as it would make the crime he was framed for look less logical. But this only works if he gets it back without the "good guys" pressuring him enough to make it look like he's crumbling and trying to reduce the heat by "helping" them recover the stolen goods.

Slade Wilson was at TriD to stir up the pot and frame the Calculator. He didn't know who the Calculator was and didn't think he was there. He was just trying to spook the person working for him, if he indeed had an inside man. And also to put on a show for the cameras--which he did nothing to disable this time, unlike in Irvine.

I just had a notion of where this fic is going, is SI\Calculator going to download Pooja into the Staff if her ever gets his hands on it?

The Calculator might be interested in the Cosmic Staff, but for other reasons. AFAIK, the staff is just a flying machine + blaster/gravity weapon, run on star power. No onboard computer to slot remote Pooja operations into.

Remember also that right now Pooja is something like three racks of computers in different datacenters. Short of serious alien tech, which might not be immediately compatible, she's not going anywhere.

Also, he's not stealing a hero's stuff. That would be like rubbing steak sauce on himself jumping into the lion cage. Or rather, the Bat Cage.

Thanks for reading.

Okay, so... if stacking doesn't help, then that indicates that religion is effectively single-provider; rather than multiple Gods each offering some of their power, you get a generalized "faith field" that is either applied fully or not.

So some sort of psychic gestalt deal. Though it's odd to me that it'd be equally strong across religions; given religious people generally outgroup other religions pretty hard, it's probably a deliberate working instead of something that arose naturally.

Last edited:
The note on Slade's change in MO to specifically put a show on for the security cameras is something that, if Oracle or Batman don't pick up on on their own, Calculator could probably arrange for them to have unsubtly hinted in a way that makes them actually stop to question it.

The moment they think (rightly or wrongly) they've discovered this discrepancy on their own, they'll wonder why Slade was so blatant and sloppy at this part of the job. Which will buy Calculator some room as they try to make sure they aren't snookered. Batman and Oracle do not like being snookered.

does the SI has the smarts to manipulate magic via technology? I was reading a jumpchain just now and there was a perk for something like that. And biomancy is a part of magics in the dc universe systems of magic. the first Atlanteans were created/turned with that magic.

Plan
I looked at the clock and marked off the time. I'd give myself ten minutes before making any decisions.

Slade Wilson. His employer, if any. Oracle. The Justice Society. Starwoman. My own past self. Pooja. Those were the obvious major actors.

TriD. I briefly paused to look up the name: Western Security Technologies Company, Inc., who genuinely seemed to have done work at the Irvine apartment building. The hacker who came up with the original attack package used by Slade. Secondary concerns linked to this mess.

Just running was a fun option. But now that someone out there was performing pathetic hacks in my name...my brand would suffer. I had to strike back. Use my online street-cred or lose it. Calling in mercs to hustle me out in an armored car was not a power move, and had its own dangers. But I couldn't strike directly at Slade either, or he'd just kill his way back through the breadcrumbs to me. He lived for that sort of conflict.

I found myself drawing boxes and lines, scanning stolen and forged documents, all while mumbling notes that then appeared on the virtual screens in front of me. Then I came up for air—two hours later.

After staring at the results for another ten minutes just to give myself time to come down and reconsider, it still looked good.

"Pooja, I see three main points to attack.

"One, physically tracking down Slade Wilson's operations, and learning more about his possible vendetta against me as well as his methods. His employer. The hacker who created Slade's trojan attack package and did the hack on WSTC. The job I did for him, or didn't do, or whatever is part of that. It'll be hard because of the data loss we've both suffered. I am sorry about that, by the way."

"I...thank you for considering my, uh, situation," Pooja said. Her voice was quiet and hesitant, and she'd filled it with unusual levels of emotion. She was getting better at that.

"Information is part of your person, even more so than most," I said. "You're more abstract physically, so the data you store...I'm not sure how badly it affected you, but it can't be pleasant realizing part of your—body I guess?—was excised without you even knowing how or why. We'll find out who did this to us. I promise."

"Yes. That would be most appreciated." Back to cold and collected. Good also. Her brief outburst earlier had been worrying.

"Two," I said, continuing as if that hadn't been a sort of moment there, "helping Starwoman get her staff back. Gaining her trust will be important as well. This goes beyond just dropping it back in her hands, and can give us a huge advantage if we play it right. Initially, this requires directing Oracle to look into WSTC's own records. I bet Slade or his employer didn't bother to compromise WSTC's severs. Slade's hack only seems to work in person, and that would blow their frame-up of me. Oracle might not check that lead very far unless we make it seem like something isn't adding up. After that, we need to contact Starwoman with an offer of help.

"Starwoman might be willing to talk to a concerned fan who also turned out to be a genius hacker. Another one, that is, after Oracle. Who you've found out about, making it only natural you'd get involved in this business. So I'll need you to talk Oracle directly, one hacker to another, while also reaching out to Starwoman. Your call on whether or not to make it seem to them like you're the same person, what information gets shared, and when. Might be a good idea to let them figure it out themselves. It would be a flaw to make your cover more believable. Just don't use the Calculator ID, don't leave any fingerprints on WSTC, and don't let on you're an AI. Some people are weird about that."

"No idea why," Pooja said. "No wait. I have one thousand eighty-two reasons on record."

"You're getting really sarcastic for a two year old," I said, barely able to control my smirk.

"One thousand eighty-three."

"Right," I said, leaning forward in my chair to open the diagram of the power suit. "And three, I need to get the hard light projector up and running for the suit. I'm spec'ing out what we'll need for the user interface on the countermeasures Intelligence Augmentation suite and imaging system's job management controls. Last thing we need is someone giving me one more target than I planned to counter and having the dumb thing short out in a spray of lasers and sparks.

"Anyway, I'll finish that project proposal up and get an outside contractor to work on all the boring, non-sensitive hardware interface software bits. The remaining control hardware I'll bodge up myself from some project boxes, wearable gear, and microcontrollers. My timeline is a week to an alpha, able to at least run a counter-Slade-Wilson program and not fry my face off.

"I've also got an idea for something cheap and easy to add to the suit as a weapon, just in case. The power suit is new, but your records show I've used hard light systems before. Slade has a bad habit of preparing to counter known powers of people he meets."

"But then," Pooja said, "so do you."

"Hmm. I guess." Gathering up the windows into three piles with waves of my hands, I pushed them off the screen and into Pooja's organizational magic. "I need you to cover One and Two. I'll work with the contractor and start testing controls with low-power operations on the hard light engine. Please cover up the extra draw with the power company records."

"The hard light generator still needs a mobile, full-strength power source, Calculator. Without that, it's just a light show. No, shall we say, impact in a fight."

I opened a model, expanded it to fill the entire display area, pulled it back into a 3D projection with a tug of my hand, then set it spinning slowly with a flick of a finger.

"That's why you're going to befriend Starwoman, which will give us a chance to get a full structural and software scan of the Cosmic Belt and its star energy power source. All the better to track down the unique energy signature of the Cosmic Staff. And all we'll have to do is convince her and Oracle that you're an L.A. native who's a genius with computers and electronics, and they'll do the scan for us."

I paused the image with a jab. "Wait, have you...did you just call me Calculator?"

"Yes. I have before, you just didn't notice. I'll do it more often now that you're finally starting to act like him."

The image disappeared when I released my finger, the screens returning to 2D mode. My elbows propped on the table, I steepled my fingers together in front of my face and stared into the project timelines Pooja was creating and updating in real time in front of me. I sat in the dark room for a time like that, glasses flickering in the light from my monitors.

This time, my smirk was overwhelming behind my hands. "Hmm. I can live with that."

Sitting down at his computer desk, iced coffee at the ready, Danilo Varela checked proposal request on the online programming jobs board. Last week he'd made his goal for the month, so the rest was gravy. Time to run up the score. Or maybe do something more creative than his usual for-hire user interface programming work. Something fun for a change.

He almost closed the rather generic looking posting before noticing the rate range. It was three times the board's usual, almost twice what even his elite skills could usual demand. Danilo still almost closed the window. Surely with that sort of rate, the silly fools would be deluged with offers. His would be buried-

It was posted two minutes ago.

Danilo's fingers flew across the keyboard as he brought up his standard forms. Eyes flicking back to the second monitor holding the details, he filled it out in record time before slamming the send button.

It might work out. If not, the cost to him was basically the time he'd just taken. The request was for a custom embedded application, for-hire work on some sort of prototype. But they were willing to pay for fast-tracked manual and automated alpha unit testing, as well as an extensive beta test release schedule. Danilo knew his skills and the fact that, unlike with all those smug Indian programmers, Brazil was usually only a time zone or two away from his clients. There was a chance he'd be-

His email dinged, first on his computer then his phone. No way.

Way. It was a further inquiry from the silly fool. Notes that the timeline was urgent and they needed exclusive, time-guaranteed results. Along with an NDA. He read it in record time, printed, signed, scanned, and emailed them back.

He'd barely had the time to shakily drink half his iced coffee before more detailed project requirements hit his email, along with a single, simple question. Can you meet these requirements and schedule? Again, he blazed through the attached documents.

Fuck yes, was his reply. He forced himself to count to one hundred before hitting send. He didn't want to seem too desperate. He shook his head at his own ridiculousness and hit send.

Half an hour later, a printed copy of the contract was sitting on his desk, the ice in his coffee melted and forgotten. The projected and pre-approved hours were...silly. Along with the per-hour rate...tens of thousands USD, at least. This job wasn't going to be something he could retire on or anything, but it also didn't seem to be related to some stupid online casino or boring medical information system. And it was a ton of work. He'd already started on his planning documents, opening a new project in his management software.

Whatever this "integrated, high-bandwidth, user-driven holographic interface with real-time, deep-learning adaptive modules" thing was, the price was right and he was ready to burn some time for money. Maybe after this job Ritsuki, Rikki to her friends—she of the tight databases and tight shorts—would be interested in going to that steak house with him. He'd sure be able to afford it.

Last edited:
or anything, but it also didn't seem to be related to some stupid online casino or boring medical information system. And it was a ton of work. He'd already started on his planning documents, opening a new project in his management software.

Whatever this "integrated, high-bandwidth, user-driven holographic interface with real-time, deep-learning adaptive modules" thing was, the price was right and he was ready to burn some time for money. Maybe after this job Ritsuki, Rikki to her friends—she of the tight databases and tight shorts—would be interested in going to that steak house with him. He'd sure be able to afford it.
Lucky guy, if it was any other high-tech villain, him completing this kind of work would have been likely paid with a bullet hole

Lucky guy, if it was any other high-tech villain, him completing this kind of work would have been likely paid with a bullet hole
That's not really true. Mid level hackers who can complete jobs on time and to spec are a finite resource without the bog standard megalomania and the chance of betrayal you could expect from super-genius named characters.

None of them really want to do the drudge work of streamlining the user interface; they'd much rather be working on the Illudium Q90.

That depends on the exact version of the villain they are working with in the DC multiverse. Sometimes, the particular iteration of the villain is just damn awful. Sometimes, the other particular iteration of the villain is just freaking awesome.

I'm liking where this is going. All the world-building and background was slowing things down. Can't wait to see how this plays out now.

That depends on the exact version of the character they are working with in the comic multiverse. Sometimes, the particular iteration of the character is just damn awful. Sometimes, the other particular iteration of the character is just freaking awesome.

Not just DC, any comic multiverse is like that. And not just villains - take Luthor, Batman and Mr. Freeze for prime examples.

Contact
Rice was on sale. White basmati, which would go well with the potato curry I was planning. The price check on my Augmented Reality glasses said it was a good deal, so I tossed it in the cart.

I'd dug the glasses out of a box on the top shelf in my office that morning. Then I had to spend an hour getting them set up on Pooja's secured and encrypted network. According to her records, it was a three year old project, and it looked a bit like Google Glass by way of tacky tourist beachwear. Combined with some casual shorts and a faded t-shirt with an image of John Wayne holding a shotgun from Stagecoach on it, the result didn't exactly scream "supervillain." Based on my casual wear wardrobe consisting entirely of red shorts and fandom tees, there was growing evidence that I was, in fact, a giant nerd in possibly all universes.

Four days after "waking up" in the attack at TriD, and the house was already out of anything that wasn't frozen or canned, so once again I had to head out. Pooja said it was, if anything, safer now that the heroes knew Slade was operating in the area. He'd have to keep his head down at least a little. And this wasn't a suspicious activity, or linked to any of the records TriD had.

While I did the shopping at a local supermarket, Pooja was—I checked the scrolling live transcript logs as they were projected against a box of cereal—apparently still talking shop with Oracle. Figures she'd go after the computer nerd first. Whitmore seemed to be avoiding the internet right now, so it was also easier for Pooja to get in contact with Oracle. Made sense all around.

Accord to the log, they were now trading hacks right while Barbara sneakily tried to figure out if Pooja was a threat or not by asking subtly probing questions. Very Batman of her. It was sort of cute, but Pooja was playing the game at least two levels deeper based on the emotive system diagnostic view I was looking at projected against individual containers of yogurt.

In other words, Pooja believed she knew what Barbara was doing and was countering it, and was also countering what Barbara would do if Barbara thought Pooja was trying to counter Barbara's strategy. English wasn't a good language for this, but math and computer algorithms were. As an AI designed to understand superheroes and villains, and counter their most dangerous abilities, Pooja was naturally winning their little social battle. Good for her.

This again made me wonder what Pooja was doing when she talked with me. Was I being played the same way? All the diagnostic programs were run by or on computers Pooja controlled, so it wasn't like I could verify anything. And bringing up the mind reading application right in front of the person you were using it on wasn't my idea of a trusting or useful thing to do.

For now, I just watched her outer level concepts debug log scroll on a carton of milk as she talked to Oracle, without jogging her elbow with dumb advice or attempting to spy any deeper on them. Talking to two people at the same time was still a bit of a strain on Pooja, so I was also trying not to bug her in general while she worked in real time. Her security systems were still at full effectiveness, however, as it had separate, dedicated resources.

I found some more Diet Gingold cola on the bottom shelf of the soda aisle. Into the cart it went.

With any luck, by this time tomorrow I'd have a full scan of the Cosmic Belt. Giving me that data wasn't going to be something Oracle did on purpose, but Pooja had already compromised seven of the most likely locations to have Whitmore get the physical scans done. Top of the list was the UC Irvine Medical Center, with its advanced imaging equipment, and a local WayneCorp tech lab was a likely source for the diagnostic hardware. Pooja had most of the angles well covered.

With all that, we could track down the Cosmic Staff by following the unique disruption of the star power radiation fields. Pooja and I could also design a star power generator for my suit. True, the heroes would get a possible way to track me and other star power users, but I already had some ideas about how to counter that problem. Including, just putting an "off" switch on the stupid thing.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on some genuine Earth schizo tech. It was going to be great.

Back at my garage workbench at home, the glove interface was coming along well. I wasn't planning on using it to control most of the suit—it was just a manual backup in case comms went down to Pooja. Otherwise, she'd be running most of the systems as a series of macros and complex predefined programs, triggered remotely on my request or based on Pooja's view of the battlefield. Most of the heavy lifting strategy-wise would take place on her side, not in the suit. I had few different radio systems, including a satellite link and a set of throwies for a small-area mesh network, so it was unlikely everything would be taken out at the same time. Still. Better safe than sorry.

I made a note to look into alien or superscience radio systems for the suit and Pooja.

The gloves did basic target selection, simple menu navigation, and allowed for a virtual keyboard interface to do on-the-fly variable editing—something I was swearing over and over to myself to never, ever do. Not unless it was literally the last option.

I wouldn't be one of those villains taken out while fiddling with his gear in the middle of a fist fight. Or one of those villains who allowed himself to even get into a fist fight in the first place. I was only planning on this level of confrontation because it was Deathstroke after me.

My mindless soldering and strategizing was interrupted Pooja's voice. "I am finished talking to Oracle for now."

"How'd it go?" I asked, putting down the iron and eyeing my half-finished circuit board. Through-hole work looked good. The zoom and stabilize feature on these glasses was also top notch. Shame they looked so goofy.

I made a note to look into adding its features to the lenses and HUD already planned for the helmet—for the next major Alpha version. Couldn't afford feature creep now. I almost physically dragged my attention to Pooja.

"It went well," she said. "Oracle is directing Whitmore to do a full active and passive non-biological imaging set on the Cosmic Belt, funded care of a generous donation to UC Irvine Medical Center from a WayneCorp subsidiarity."

She paused dramatically. "Not that I'm supposed to know that, of course. Oracle is also getting Whitmore to hook it up to a diagnostic rig meant to replicate the functionality of the one used by the original Starman during the belt's construction. That is also going to be compromised, as Oracle herself still requires remote access to the data and I have got several subtle backdoors into the system. Even if discovered, they will appear to be minor coding bugs to a casual eye. Oracle is a master hacker, but not a paranoid systems programmer. It should be fine."

"Good. Good job, Pooja."

I worked in silence for a few slightly awkward minutes, then set down the iron again and reached for my drink. I chugged the last of another can of Diet Gingold cola, crushing the empty can slowly in my fingers. It wasn't clear if this stuff was working, but it sure seemed to be helping my fingers stay limber. No idea what actual science was behind that. Hmm.

Figuratively grasping at the familiar for conversational topics with my AI, I asked, "Pooja...is there a James Randi in your records?"

Pooja ignored the apparent non sequitur. "Born 1928 in Toronto, Canada?"

"Sounds...about right?"

"James Randi. Internationally licensed magical practitioner: mixed stage, bonded illusion crafter, and second degree master of thaumaturgy. Honorary degree in both applied religious studies and magic from the University of Toronto."

Damn Atlantis lottery. The page Pooja brought up in my glasses, projected virtually against the workbench, suggested that the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry…was working to debunk charlatans in the fields of magic and religion. Huh. Some things didn't change. Sort of.

There had, naturally, never been a Randi Prize for proving supernatural abilities. Rather, it was for provably bringing people back from the dead. Not a shade, not a ghost or other spirit claiming to be the deceased, but proven with full magical sympathetic linking to be the same person. The prize was for a hundred million dollars. It was closed in 2015, never having been won.

I sighed, eyeing the work still spread out on the bench. "I get that most of the magical and religious stuff doesn't work for me, but I know regular people can be granted powers by various means. They can't all be genetically gifted with magic power compatibility when they just happen across an ancient Egyptian god."

"True," Pooja said. "Statistically, that would be unlikely. However, those with the ability to use magic are apparently drawn to it. And once you accept godly blessings from a pantheon-level deity, or demonic powers from a greater demon, you are also apparently drawn into those spheres of conflict. You do not want that to happen. It is messy and illogical."

I smiled. "Once you start down the supernatural path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

"What?" Pooja asked, confusion clear in her voice.

Right. Wrong universe for that reference. "I meant...so you'll run into gods and demons more often than the average person if blessed with the powers of ancient gods? Which is usually just a magical jump-start?"

"Correct. Yet another reason to avoid either magical or godly entanglements," she said.

"Psychic powers?"

"All studied so far are just metahuman powers."

"Ah well. Let me know when you get the data on the scans."

"I will. It should be tomorrow afternoon," Pooja said.

Looking around the garage, I realized it really needed cleaning. Yet another thing Pooja couldn't do for me. Assuming I didn't have to burn the place down to escape a supervillain/hero attack, I'd have to spend some time organizing it. No idea how so much crap could have accumulated in just a few years.

Hmm. Better yet, put off the problem until later. Better yet, plan on burning it down. Maybe I wouldn't have to do the dishes, too. But no, best save the junk for now.

"Pooja, please schedule one of those curb-side storage container drop-off and pickup...thingies. Along with a local moving service—no truck."

"Scheduling thingies now."

"Please make sure they are paid for under an assumed name and won't be tracked back to any of my stronger identities."

"What have I said about telling me how to do my job?" she asked tartly.

"Right. Don't."

"Correct. It will be ready tomorrow." Pooja sighed at me. "And please ensure the workers don't have to be memory-wiped because they saw your power suit sitting out."

"Wait," I said. "I have a device to-"

"No."

Ah. More hilarious AI japes.

Hmm. Ethical problems aside, that would be useful to have. I took some notes that turned into an hour long writing session on ethical neuro-hacking. By the time I was done, I was getting back results from my Brazilian contractor for the basic hard-light imaging system hardware interface and system-level control channels. I spent the rest of that night testing the code.

It was damn good. I wasn't even slightly tempted to arrange for the contractor to be memory wiped—once I had that capacity worked out, of course. All I'd need to do would be to mail him a package with-

Ahem. Right. Instead, it looked he'd be getting my repeat business. Good minions- err, contractors were hard to find. And I could see a lot of things that would need doing even after the suit was complete.

Saving, backing up, and closing the latest results of his hardware emulation code tests, Danilo Varela stared at his computer in shock. Only two days in and this lovely dream was already turning to shit.

What the hell was this? What was it meant to do when complete? Who the hell was he working for?

He opened the next hardware module spec he needed to design for and test against. Then the previous two. Now all of them, tiled across his wide, curved monitor. Staring at them side by side, he swallowed hard. It was military hardware type shit. Power systems were off the fucking charts. This...this optic control system could be for a weapon, easy.

So. Could he copy some of this tech with just these scraps of information?

With shaking hands, he dragged a laptop out of a drawer in his desk, plugged in the tangled cord of the power brick, then opened it up. Power button. Boot was slow. It was kinda old, and full-disk encrypted. But it never connected to the internet.

Password. He fished around in his pocket for the USB physical token. Fingerprint on the scanner that was also in the drawer. Plug in the USB fingerprint scanner first. Voice ID.

A familiar interface opened. He started the offline version of his project management software—the one he used for the really illegal shit, then backed-up in his really paranoid archive and wiped afterward.

Project name. Always the hardest part. He slowly typed in "Isnashi". Looking around his home office, his eyes lingered on the superhero posters, dozens of them.

If this worked...he'd have it. The first step towards his dream.

The word in the text box stayed there for a long time, the entry pipe blinking.

He hit enter.

Last edited:
Hmm Interesting new chapter, I certainly like it. Some good fun interactions, bit of worldbuilding again, it just keeps getting better

This is the problem with contractors, if you don't constantly look over their shoulder they get these hare brained ideas. Fortunately for both Danilo and Calculator as long as the former doesn't do anything to stupid, there should be no connection between the two. Given what just happened, I do not have high hopes.

Looks like Calculator just created his own heroic nemesis. Par for the course in his line of work - the more successful you are the more of them show up. Just look at Batman.

The similarities with magic dragging you into more magical conflicts are quite eerie.

Back