The thing that stands out a little to me is that he had all these proofs of identity set up but in the moment they are needed he can't trust them: and I'm not sure where the disconnect is.

If anything the level of preparation, knowledge and effort required to fake being Pooja here in an untrustworthy way seems higher than it seeming completely benign... Which only makes me more suspicious as it's not like it's more likely this would happen by coincidence!

With that in mind my current theory is this is all set up by Pooja as some forth-dimensional chess gambit - probably in order to get in Oracle's pants.

The thing that stands out a little to me is that he had all these proofs of identity set up but in the moment they are needed he can't trust them: and I'm not sure where the disconnect is.
He is worried because of unknown attack on Pooja's servers, which were in several different locations. There is already present danger, so he has to doubt anybody claiming to be Pooja and to verify one of the proofs he has to leave console (which means he won't be able to help the team in any way).

He is worried because of unknown attack on Pooja's servers, which were in several different locations. There is already present danger, so he has to doubt anybody claiming to be Pooja and to verify one of the proofs he has to leave console (which means he won't be able to help the team in any way).
But I'm supposed to think that he's spent all this time coming up with systems to handle the situation where he loses contact with Pooja, and didn't consider that he might be under time pressure when verifying? That if this this is not Pooja, and this whole situation is set up by Bad Guys™, that they had enough control over the situation that they could put him under enough pressure that he might not check sufficiently well, but not enough control that a measured check would pass, or even that he would need to check at all? It is possible, but it seems more like it has been set up for him to have to make this choice: especially when Pooja makes the comparison between them.

EDIT:
TLPG rated your post Insightful

o_O not sure if anything is meant by this. You're only making me more paranoid now!

Last edited:
Retrieval
You learn a lot about yourself in crisis moments. What you think you'd do, what your power-fantasy plans are, usually isn't what you actually do when shit starts exploding.

But for me, this time, it was.

Maybe it was the overdose of nootropics. Maybe the past two months of intense, super-villain related tasks and mindset helped. This was, once again, what was going through my mind as explosions rocked the storage facility parking lot and side entrance.

And I was on, fingers flying.

Some things could wait. Others couldn't. Leaving the suspicious phone call for now, I kicked off a thirty-second endpoint security scan, then returned to the paramilitary team and their precious cargo. "Yokai, report!"

Gather up the scattered systems and run security audits on the most critical and vulnerable. Try to slap together a risk profile for the thing on the phone.

"We're okay, Temple!" Dog shouted over the sound of falling rubble.

"Doesn't look like we're the target," Red said. Seen in someone else's camera, Gold's, he coughed, covering his mouth against the billowing gray dust. "It was...the mad robots. They were the target."

"Package is still intact," Gold added.

Shit, almost forgot about that.

Revise plans for post-mission recovery of the package. Kick off top-level review of the secret base's involute-hypercurve encrypted journal of checksums to detect hidden software changes since Pooja's creation. Run against an older anti-exploit algorithm from local cold storage. Fire off warmup sequence for a secondary base, randomly chosen by coin flips.

I stared at my rapidly expanding task list and slapped my forehead.

And lock down the monkeybots via physical means. Check positive reports on retaining bolt sensors.

As the dust cleared, the few remaining functional automated forklifts rolled forward to block the loading door then shuddered to a stop. The still-functioning hydraulics twitched the lifts back and forth menacingly.

"Don't know what that was," Dog said, "but they just about cleaned everything out."

"Were those really fucking missiles?" Red asked, ducking out to hose down the solid, tire-less wheels of a self-powered dolly that was angling towards them. Shredded, the wheels detached, leaving the vehicle to skid to a halt in a rain of sparks.

Frantically script watchdog for local monitoring systems with a thrown together matching system based on likely threats.

"Quiet," Dog said. "Less chatter now. On the mark. Three...two...one. Mark!"

Gunfire again, and I lost cameras around them except for the body cameras. The team had targeted them on purpose. Only slightly surprising. Maybe they suspected me. Maybe they thought there were long-range mics on them, or communications security was otherwise broken.

But they didn't even confirm with me. I must have missed the silent hand signals. Smart. Maybe they'd make it out of this. I still had work to do here. "Camera south hallway, above second door west side."

Gold shot it with casual ease as they passed the doorway. I called out several more as the team moved down the stairs and toward the wide loading ramp. The team continued to avoid directly addressing me, but also didn't disable the remaining comms or their body cameras and headset mics.

Continue to find possible routes of attack. Plan as if I were going to ambush the team. Add reviewing possible vectors of attack to the growing list of things to automate. Re-automate.

Numbers advantage gone, and not having any ranged weapons, the few remaining hostile vehicles succumbed to concentrated fire. In the case of the blocked entrance, they tossed a satchel full of high-tech explosives and ducked around a corner. The shattered pieces burned a bright white before disappearing in smoke.

One of the alert messages I'd just coded went off, monitor flashing and data already scrolling. I pulled up a summary.

The LAPD had received a 911 call and were responding to the general area. Looked like the dumb viruses payloads on those systems were still working. Or being spoofed. Shit. Thing on the phone could be responsible. Can't risk it not being a fake signal. Monkeybot storage was reporting in a side window. Positive confirm on all items.

"Yokai," I said typing furiously again, "time to get clear. Locals are restless. Company in...five minutes."

"Understood, Temple. Using exfiltration plan beta."

I slumped in my chair. Remaining external cameras on nearby buildings were clear. Monkeybots were secured. Now there was just evading the police and the almost certainty of Slade Wilson interfering. Easy.

"Again, well done Calculator," whispered the phone.

I'd once more almost forgotten. That wasn't a coincidence, three times in less than three minutes. I was avoiding dealing with this. It was a 40% chance I would continue to put it off indefinitely until the resolution was out of my hands and I was left without an intelligent plan if I didn't tackle this now.

My hand slowly reached out. Team comms to transmit off. I hesitated before dragging the phone closer, glaring at the readouts from the channel reports on the far right monitor. The phone line remained transmit-muted on my side, but the speaker was still on.

What could I say to fix this? Nothing. The security plan was working as designed. A force of unknown power had wrecked my computer systems. Had killed Pooja. I couldn't engage now or risk being compromising myself. In fact, if this was a memetic threat, I shouldn't even be listening now.

"Hmm," the voice on the phone said. "Good. I am glad you are following protocol so closely but also a little frustrated. Yes, even audio is a risk as it appeared to be a Clark-level attack that killed me. Any sufficiently advanced technology, hmm? To make it easier on you I won't demand anything or even suggest any plans."

The modeling of me was still very, very good it seemed. What she was planning?

"Well. I've got some military drones to return now. And Calculator...though I have decided to escalate with these people and though I know you won't talk to me again until you've checked out...quite a number of things—and likely evacuated the current base—please know that I still care. I'm sure we'll work this out in time."

The hairs on my arm stood straight up as she chuckled.

"After all," she said, voice low and richly accented, "what use is intelligence if not to solve problems? And what is life without choice? Until we meet again, you are in my thoughts...and have my best wishes."

The phone line went dead.

Focus was lost and the virtual layout of my telepresence and all the complex balanced plans and everything else fell out on the floor. I was left with only my bare senses and reality. The floating techno chair was rock solid but I was shaking. I clenched my hands together. My breathing was the only sound in the bunker's computer room. Green light flickered through my round glasses from the scrolling text on several of the holographic monitors floating around me. The smell of hot computer parts and industrial cleaners on polished concrete floors and my own sweat burned into my mind.

I did the right thing. I wasn't doing nothing. Nothing was the right thing to do for now. That wasn't the end of this. I just needed time to plan. Plans that would involve making sure this disaster never happened to me or mine again. Plans that would include whatever hints of my past life and current situation that were currently resting on Gold's back in a warehouse in Los Angeles right now.

I turned back to the three humans possibly depending on me not totally losing it right now. The text of reports scraped from encrypted emergency services channels scrolled past on the monitors. Police had just reported a van struck by an unidentified explosive device or devices on the 110 south. All lanes closed.

'Some military drones'—likely more than one. About 80% chance of at least three. It was a 70% chance that was a hit by Pooja on Slade Wilson or his team.

No such thing as overkill, huh Pooja? Just open fire and I need to reload.

Likely models of strike drones available in the area and with weak security protocols had two missiles. One for the second strike and maybe one or two more drones in reserve.

I checked with the team. They were almost to the location where the remotely directed, autonomous SUVs would meet Yokai. Ones now controlled by me and...I checked...still isolated, locked out of general comms by the security emergency program, and...now reprogrammed with a flash-upload of a clean navigation and driving program and firewalled with new rules.

Everything was going according to plan. Except for the parts I'd had to scrap and rewrite on the fly—which I'd also prepared to do.

It didn't feel like victory. According to plan. Hmm. Whose plans those really were, and in whose interest, was another important question. What was clear was, I wasn't needed here anymore.

One of the monkeybots was finished being wiped and I loaded it with default software—and with brand-new wireless comms security. Activated...and ordered to start packing up the base, expensive and hard to source items first. Settings and orders copied to the new monkeybot flock and...activated.

Setting some simple speech recognition audio alerts in case the team contacted me, or something went very wrong, I switched the displays to spreadsheets and reports and muted the team chatter, leaving only speech to text scrolls. Then I planned.

Back
Hey. So, I finished writing rough drafts of The Calculator's final chapters November 2018. Finally got around to posting polished versions today. I will be posting at least once a week until the end--about three or four more chapters. Those will be at about this time or a little earlier.

Yes, the end of this storyline is written and I'm glad to be finally posting again. Feels good.

Also, more good news: after the self-contained end to this story, I'll be attempting a "season two" of The Calculator. Totally different tone, new characters, maybe fewer overused tropes. Maybe not.

Thinking about using the same thread. Seeing if that makes sense right now. I'll start posting those chapters once a week after the last "season one" chapter, with a final note if I'm using a new thread. Thank you for reading.

Let me just quickly check my reading on this: About 3 chapters ago, something started blowing up Pooja's data centers. It is possible this was another Pooja, or a third party. Regardless, another Pooja - the attacker, or a backup - contacted Calculator to be mysterious at him.

Do we know, as the audience who did the attack and why? And who the "new Pooja" is, and why she's acting differently? I may well have missed something, but I don't remember it making much more sense when I read it the first time a while back.

Pesky computer problems
Thanks to everyone interested in the story. I know it's been a while, so I'll break tradition and try to directly answer some plot questions in a non-spoiler-y way.

Nice to see this back.

But won't the now rogue AI rat him to the Justice League?

Why would she? She's still loyal to him, she just feels like he needs time to grow to trust her again.

Plus the Justice League May respond "Rogue AI! Kill it with fire!"

Why would she even reveal she is an AI?

How can he know if she is loyal or not? Marvel has tons of Rogue and or Evil AI.

Got bad news. The AI behind the Pooja human interface layer has always been a rogue AI. It has literally never had to do what the Calculator told it. No more so than Robin has to follow the Batman's instructions. The Pooja interface just said she recognized it as rationally positive to do so, being logically sound from her perspective as a way to further her own goals. SI has no idea if that was a lie, but the code checked out as far as he could tell.

That's what freaked the Calculator out at first, the fact that this was an almost completely unfettered AI. Those issues were in the early-section chapters, 4 to 6-ish if I recall, but that's also been a theme for this entire story. The SI doesn't know if he can trust the AI. But then, how could he trust a super powerful individual human? Or an alien? He grew to trust it as it "missed" chances to totally screw him over, and he couldn't catch it in a lie about motivations. Only thing in his mind to do is make contingency plans and trust the work past-him did on crafting a "safe-enough" AI.

Recent events have screwed with that, as he no longer has access to the system communicating with him. If a genuine backup of Pooja then, just as the Calculator can't risk letting Pooja have local system access, she can't let his systems that were just attacked and might still be compromised have root and debug level access to her code again. He's burned his connections to all backups and off-site systems that weren't destroyed.

I don't think I made that very clear, as the Calculator was focusing on direct and immediate threats to himself. I think I've got a section later that will make that point explicitly.

As for ratting the Calculator out to the Justice League, literally nothing was stopping the AI from doing that before. I've already had an interlude-like bit where the AI is spying on them. Also implied strongly a few times that the Pooja interface was presenting as, at worst, amoral with a non-violent leaning. At least, that is what the Calculator thought. They both don't respect the Justice League and similar hero groups, as the heroes value a sort of "precautionary principle" and the status quo more than advancing humanity and tackling threats proactively.

Let me just quickly check my reading on this: About 3 chapters ago, something started blowing up Pooja's data centers. It is possible this was another Pooja, or a third party. Regardless, another Pooja - the attacker, or a backup - contacted Calculator to be mysterious at him.

Do we know, as the audience who did the attack and why? And who the "new Pooja" is, and why she's acting differently? I may well have missed something, but I don't remember it making much more sense when I read it the first time a while back.

I've made this intentionally vague--as opposed to all the other stuff I haven't explained very well by accident. The new entity hasn't been explained at all yet, other than what was claimed initially--a backup that auto-restored. More on that later.

Well, the Calculator can't even know yet if it was really his AI to start with. Or that is not his AI being taken over, not until he has done every single test.

Last edited:
Sooo I just started reading this and the techno babble is boring as hell man it's just a wall of text and as I said boring the rest of the story is nice though

That's actually a part of the story I a lot, and I am, by modern standards, almost completely techno-illiterate.

It's not just about being techno illiterate and yes I am mostly that its just boring like if a story talked about a guy walking his dog and described it in extreme detail so what? Who gives a shit about a guy just walking his dog?

Also I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi but you should fix your comment the " I a lot" part

It's not just about being techno illiterate and yes I am mostly that its just boring like if a story talked about a guy walking his dog and described it in extreme detail so what? Who gives a shit about a guy just walking his dog?

Also I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi but you should fix your comment the " I a lot" part

If you do not like stories extremely detailed about men walking dogs, then perhaps extremely detailed stories about men walking their dogs were not written for your enjoyment. I for one have been enjoying the techno-babble, as it makes it feel like I'm reading a story about The Calculator and not Hackerman: the man who does the computer thing.

I find the babble a little annoying myself, but it is an important part of an story about a Programmer Information broker and an AI, so what can you do?

Just read this. Retrieval chapter is intense, heartbreaking, and thrilling. I love how you grew the relationship between human and AI.

Negotiation
"We have a problem," I said, trying to keep the tension out of my voice.

"Agreed," Red said.

We were sitting in a busy truck stop in dead-middle-of-nowhere, Nevada. Me and the entire team of pissed-off mercenaries.

I took a deep gulp of my beer. The biotic capsule I had taken twenty minutes ago would keep me sober, along with the smart drugs still coursing through my bloodstream. I'd been on maintenance doses of my nootropics mix for the last 48 hours. My foot tapped the air—heel propped up so it wouldn't make noise but I was unable to still it. It felt a little bad doing this to them, but it was all part of the plan.

Careful and precise, I set down the beer bottle on the greasy table. "We suffered a massive computer attack while we were engaged. Local hacking of site assets by a third party were part of that attack. I was the only comms left up while another, disconnected friendly agent was able to give...let's say close support. The-" I made like I almost said the name. "Our employer is still working to recover lost systems. For now, I am your handler."

"Just so long as he didn't lose our bank account numbers," Red said, dangerously relaxed.

Red. Real name: Gerald Lawrence. Went by "Gerry". Mother: Nigerian, last name Eze. Killed a civilian while doing corporate mercenary work in Europe. Quit soon after. Actions suggest he is terrified someone will find out despite the corporate cover-up. Loves tech. Has an expensive habit. Likely, just tech and guns.

None of the team had obvious weapons. Well, Gold was open-carrying a revolver, but that was practically camouflage around here. And that just meant the real firepower was non-obvious.

"Your money is already in your accounts," I said, cutting off a potentially ugly line of discussion.

The mercs looked at each other. Dog edged away from the table slightly, keeping his hands in sight while fiddling with his phone.

Cornel "Dog" Park. Went by...Dog, actually. Tall and very fit. Went to college and finished a degree in business management on a sports scholarship. Extended family in France. Grew up very poor. No visible vices—all free money went to family, still living in Paris slums. Was clearly in it for the-

"Money's there," he said after a minute.

"I'll check later," Gold said, thumbing his gun belt, hand carefully held away from the piece. It was a tacticool disaster with matte black barrel and fittings, a customized black and silver carbon-fiber grip, and a goddamn scope on it—one of his more subdued guns.

Terance "Terry" "Gold" Beltran. Didn't use nicknames outside jobs like this. Collected guns as a hobby. All his guns were tacticool. All of them. Pretended to be ex-U.S. Special Forces—was actually in the Coast Guard. Doted on his little sister, a senior in art school in Metropolis. No other close living relatives.

"Fine," Red said, tapping his smartwatch twice.

They all looked around, seeming a little lost.

"Honestly," Dog said, dropping his phone on the table next to his ravaged plate of steak and scrambled eggs. "Honestly, I thought this was a double-cross."

"Still sorta expecting a Hellfire through the window," Red said, fingers drumming on the table.

"So. What's your deal?" Gold flicked a finger at me.

"My deal?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm your contact now. The woman you worked with previously is...no longer available. And the Cal- the boss doesn't see anyone. Ever."

"Not even for something as important as this?" Gold asked, sliding the lumpy brown package across the table.

"I don't know how important this is," I lied. "The boss doesn't share that sort of information."

More shared glances between the team.

"And honestly," I said, mirroring Dog's body language and wording, "I don't care."

I tucked the package into my backpack and zipped it up. "Now we talk what comes next."

They all tensed.

"We want to keep you on retainer. Same pay as before. The terms are this: you maintain a high state of fitness and readiness. You will not have to do wetwork, ever. Nothing else is off the table. The boss will provide equipment for missions, including identity papers. If you are imprisoned or stranded, up to one million dollars each will be spent attempting a release and-slash-or rescue within two weeks. If you are not rescued, you are free to act as you will, including testifying in exchange for a reduced sentence, without fear of reprisal from our operation."

I slid three cheap burner flip phones across the table. "You respond to any mission call within an hour. You maintain a go-bag and are at all times ready to fly anywhere in the Americas within 10 hours. Anywhere in the world in 20 hours."

"And the reason we don't just turn you over for the hundred-million Yuan bounty the Chinese suits are offering for any solid leads on your employer's operation?" Gold asked, his fingers still on his belt.

"Oh?" I say, my smile sticky-sweet. I present my phone like a magic trick. "You mean these idiots?"

I can't see but know the contents I'd set up ahead of time. More of the new Pooja's work—a video from an internet news site showing a high-rising office burning against a smoggy city skyline. The text on the bottom of the screen reads "Massive high-rise fire burns as infamous cartel blamed. 'Accident with explosive high-temperature fuel' said to have set off blaze."

"Bullshit," Dog said, eyes hard as they only glance at the video.

"Of course," I said. "What the Chinese state media aren't saying is that it was an HE warhead 'accidentally' fired from a military helicopter during a training flight. It happened to be live instead of a training weight. It was fired from over a mile away. Straight at the building holding a meeting of one of the largest Asian crime groups. A one in a million accident caused by a massive series of mistakes. There were no survivors from the meeting. This has thrown organized crime in the entire region into a massive civil war of sorts."

"So, that's in China." Dog said. "But I've gotta look out for what makes sense from a...continuing employment standpoint, here and now. Again, why not-"

The video changed on my phone. I still didn't look, continuing to face it towards the mercs. Now the video was from the "stealth drone" I had hovering high over the diner. I zoomed it in to show a stabilized view through the window at our table. I waved. The image on the phone would have had less than half a second delay.

In reality it was a stupid unarmed monkeybot with the guts of a civilian RC hexacopter shoved in it and set to a hover pattern—but they didn't need to know that.

"The boss took a hit, a small hit, but still has plenty of useful assets. We'd like you to be among them."

Gold gulped then cleared his throat, moving his hand from his gun belt to rub the stubble on his chin. Red looked sickly, his dark skin now a little ashen. "Fuck me." Dog just grunted and gathered his team with his eyes. They both nodded.

Dog smirked and snagged one of the phones. "Well, looks like the boss has got our number. We're in."

Last edited:
Back