Yeah, in that range. People tend to mistake me for older, both online and in real life (it's the beard), but I remember being pretty goddamn young compared to other writers on this site and on SB. I distinctly remember writing some of the first chapters of Leviathan on the day I got my driver's license.

...damn, I need to continue that fic. And Roses and Ladybugs. Though this summer has definitely been better for writing compared to previous ones, I still lag behind during this time of year.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm loving your work so far. I wish I was more consistent in my own writing, but my short interest span and chronic procrastination habits keep getting in the way. Haven't even written a full short story yet.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm loving your work so far. I wish I was more consistent in my own writing, but my short interest span and chronic procrastination habits keep getting in the way. Haven't even written a full short story yet.
Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me.

In other news, this is my last full day in China. In about 19 hours, I will be finally flying back home, after 56 days in this country. Guess who has two thumbs and will be spending 17 hours on a plane?

👍👍 This guy.

And so, this guy would definitely feel better about the hell that is flying internationally on economy if y'all were to add to the tropes page.

In other news, this is my last full day in China. In about 19 hours, I will be finally flying back home, after 56 days in this country. Guess who has two thumbs and will be spending 17 hours on a plane?

👍👍 This guy.

And so, this guy would definitely feel better about the hell that is flying internationally on economy if y'all were to add to the tropes page.
:facepalm: TV Tropes has been on a downward spiral because of some of it's members behavior and some of it's members getting bored with the site. Likewise any people that worked on the previous work's page are either already here or will show up down the line when the story passes the 40K word mark. Either way a guilt trip about you being stuck on a plane from China to the USA will fall on deaf ears and make someone like me chuckle about it and that is about it.

👍👍 This guy.

I'm getting there, just finishing up 3 assessment tasks that I'm already behind on, so I've been unable to make the time for tvtropes, sorry. :frown2:

I feel comfortable again. I loved my time in China, but there were plenty of small things (weather, air quality, pervasive authoritarian surveillance) that kept me a little on edge my whole time there.

Hopefully, more chapters will come forthwith as a result.

What was that one like, actually? I've heard China has it, but the only things I'm vaguely aware about are the Great Firewall and them refusing to admit a massacre during the 1989 Tiananmen Square happened.
Well, there were 8 cameras and a microphone in my classroom, so there's that. Couldn't access most places I usually did without a VPN, and every time Hong Kong showed up on my news feed I felt the need to look around to make sure the cameras weren't pointed at my screen.

I highly doubted I would have gone to jail, but it did feel like someone calmly laying a beefy hand on the back of my neck, quietly reminding me of where I was.

Well, there were 8 cameras and a microphone in my classroom, so there's that. Couldn't access most places I usually did without a VPN, and every time Hong Kong showed up on my news feed I felt the need to look around to make sure the cameras weren't pointed at my screen.

I highly doubted I would have gone to jail, but it did feel like someone calmly laying a beefy hand on the back of my neck, quietly reminding me of where I was.

I suppose that's the power of a surveillance state, not the powers and resources of the state itself but how the fear and omnipresence they present themselves as the personification of, they can make one police and edit oneself inside one's own head. And that is terrifying.

There are some interesting articles on this I'll have to drag up from somewhere.

Gotta say, this entirely is better than the Three Body Problem series. Those books aren't bad, just depressing and soul crushing. I do like the idea that the Dark Forest problem is only a thing that is a law if the person writing believes that all governments are, ultimately, like the PRC.

Gotta say, this entirely is better than the Three Body Problem series. Those books aren't bad, just depressing and soul crushing. I do like the idea that the Dark Forest problem is only a thing that is a law if the person writing believes that all governments are, ultimately, like the PRC.
Just finished Death's End this morning. Still mulling the trilogy over. While I must admire Liu's ambitions with the scope of the story, with its Big Ideas and a proper Clarke-esque story about the cosmos (which is so fucking refreshing after having to deal with grungy terrestrial sci-fi in recent years), I must say it's still quite flawed. His dialogue is stale, and it's so weird for him to spend so much time in characters' headspaces, and yet at the same time seemingly not really care about any of them. There's no real fulfillment of anyone's arcs and growth, aside from Ye Wenjie. I mean, he seemingly forgot about Wang Miao in the first one, and then forgot Shi Qiang, even though almost everyone finds Da Shi to be one of the few characters they liked. My god, he fumbles characters worse than Asimov.

At the same time, his biases are... problematic. Apparently "feminized" societies are not fit to survive in the universe, if all the older men mansplaining the importance of the Swordholder to Cheng Xin meant anything. But hey, she lacked a father, so I guess she's just some lost doe... my fucking god. And I rofled at his attempts to shit-talk liberal democracies. Sometimes, seeing him present certain behaviors as universally human felt more alien than Trisolaris, like people's distaste of Escapism.

Also Death's End felt waaay too rushed and could have easily been a trilogy in and of itself. The first few hundred pages were minuscule in scope before the hundred, and not in a good way. We didn't get any good exploration of Galactic Humanity, or what happened to the Trisolarans, and so on.

Nevertheless, I will say that the stories had a huge impact on me. It gave me an insight into China, by seeing the things that seemed taken for granted by Chinese readers, but were shocking to me. It helped remind me of how much space there is in a light year, and how just how frightening gaps in technology can be. How many other sci-fi authors would have had the Trisolaran fleet be threatened by humanity's defenses, instead of having a lone fucking probe destroy our fleet while taking literally no damage?

They certainly have a big impact on this fic. It was reading The Dark Forest that gave me the energy to start working on this fic. I even referenced it in the epilogue to Worldfall, though admittedly I had only heard of TBT before I finished the first fic. The second book is by far the best in my eyes, in that it focuses on the impacts of alien invasion stories that are often neglected- the culture shock, the anxiety in the long wait, the existential terror that the invasion brings... Not to mention the game theory of STL civilizations, something I feel does not get as much attention as it deserves. I suppose this story is my way of examining Liu's Dark Forest in great detail.

Then setting it on fucking fire. Uyghurs don't deserve being put in camps, Liu you fucking thumb-face.

I've got no context whatsoever for this series, so why were Uyghurs put in camps within the books?

Liu Cixin supports China's real life internment of Uighurs.

Article:
When I brought up the mass internment of Muslim Uighurs—around a million are now in reëducation camps in the northwestern province of Xinjiang—he trotted out the familiar arguments of government-controlled media: "Would you rather that they be hacking away at bodies at train stations and schools in terrorist attacks? If anything, the government is helping their economy and trying to lift them out of poverty." The answer duplicated government propaganda so exactly that I couldn't help asking Liu if he ever thought he might have been brainwashed. "I know what you are thinking," he told me with weary clarity. "What about individual liberty and freedom of governance?" He sighed, as if exhausted by a debate going on in his head. "But that's not what Chinese people care about. For ordinary folks, it's the cost of health care, real-estate prices, their children's education. Not democracy."

I looked at him, studying his face. He blinked, and continued, "If you were to loosen up the country a bit, the consequences would be terrifying." I remembered a moment near the end of the trilogy, when the Trisolarans, preparing to inhabit Earth, have interned the whole of humanity in Australia:

The society of resettled populations transformed in profound ways. People realized that, on this crowded, hungry continent, democracy was more terrifying than despotism. Everyone yearned for order and a strong government. . . . Gradually, the society of the resettled succumbed to the seduction of totalitarianism, like the surface of a lake caught in a cold spell.

Liu closed his eyes for a long moment and then said quietly, "This is why I don't like to talk about subjects like this. The truth is you don't really—I mean, can't truly—understand." He gestured around him. "You've lived here, in the U.S., for, what, going on three decades?" The implication was clear: years in the West had brainwashed me. In that moment, in Liu's mind, I, with my inflexible sense of morality, was the alien.

This may come off as racist, or xenophobic, but reading that interview simply made me understand that I, as a person, cannot support "To Understand All is to Forgive All". I understand plenty of things, and I understand where Liu Cixin, and many Chinese Mainlanders, come from in their support for the PRC's brutal oppression of Uighurs and Hong Kongers. But that doesn't mean I forgive them for it, or that I'm fine with it. It makes me disgusted, and doubles my resolve to protect and support the western liberal values that are under attack by Russia, The US Republican Party, and the right wing of the political spectrum the world over.

But this is a dangerous line of thinking, because then it becomes "What line wouldn't I cross to protect the values that I hold dear, that keep me out of the chains of bondage. Is there a point where fighting oppression becomes evil, makes you no different than the thugs you fight?"

Which lead me to realize, what I think, is a sort of devil's truth that Earth in this story realized: Keep with your morals and always try to hold on to them as much as possible, but if it's compromising your morals or enslavement, conquest, or obliteration? There's no limits to what should be done to protect that. Even though I hate Heinlein and some of the implications and basic facts of it (Such as all the corporal punishment, animal abuse, and wonky economics and politics of it), I believe that Starship Troopers did say one thing that is utterly right: There is no such thing as an inalienable right, and these rights have to be protected or else the paper they're written on might as well be used for wiping the ass of whoever wants to take them from you. Where diplomacy, where peaceful means of protecting those rights fail, then that is when the sword must be drawn.

Nevertheless, I will say that the stories had a huge impact on me. It gave me an insight into China, by seeing the things that seemed taken for granted by Chinese readers, but were shocking to me. It helped remind me of how much space there is in a light year, and how just how frightening gaps in technology can be. How many other sci-fi authors would have had the Trisolaran fleet be threatened by humanity's defenses, instead of having a lone fucking probe destroy our fleet while taking literally no damage?

That does make me curious, what other differences stood out to you in Chinese literature and/or sci-fi compared to Western literature/sci-fi?

That does make me curious, what other differences stood out to you in Chinese literature and/or sci-fi compared to Western literature/sci-fi?
The idea that the future space fleet would of course need political officers threw me off. It's not that there was a political officer character from the PLN, but that political officers were going to be used by Westerners as well. They don't even seem to treat it as a hiccup.

On a less criticial note, it was a breath of fresh air for American stuff to not be front and center. It's neat having my nation be largely on the periphery.
I agree with this sentiment, but I'm not sure what "tumb-face" means in this context?
Thumb-face. As in, one with the face of a thumb. I was trying to come up with an insult that wasn't offensive to other people (since most insults in English tend to have sexist implications). In retrospect, I should have gone with shithead.

Thumb-face. As in, one with the face of a thumb. I was trying to come up with an insult that wasn't offensive to other people (since most insults in English tend to have sexist implications). In retrospect, I should have gone with shithead.

It's fine, I just never heard that expression before and wondered if it had any deeper implications - like you are using your "face" (in a social sense) to identify yourself like a thumbprint to the authorities to prove your "innocence" (in their eyes).

The idea that the future space fleet would, of course, need political officers threw me off. It's not that there was a political officer character from the PLN, but that political officers were going to be used by Westerners as well. They don't even seem to treat it as a hiccup.

On a less critical note, it was a breath of fresh air for American stuff to not be front and center. It's neat having my nation be largely on the periphery.

I agree that if a nation or culture is dominant in sci-fi it's almost always America so it's good to see another nation take the mantle of World Police Defense Force. Although IRL I'm pretty sure I'd not want that country to be the PRC at least in its current form.

Although this makes me wonder - if America had political officers then they would likely be guarding against Commies and (the rest of the West) authoritarianism, while the Chinese political officers would be policing against if not capitalists then democratic sentiment, so if they have to work together then I'd suspect that would be a very... interesting narrative conflict, assuming they don't immediately begin a civil war.

Last edited:
Back