SV does not have an odd problem with bigotry

Oh get off it. The caricature of the white nerd as a despised other that is an occasional feature of progressive discourse is autistically coded as fvck.
:Citation Needed:

First of al, please define "progressive discourse." Some examples of this would be nice, too.

Second, pls explain what the actual symptoms associated with ASD are and how they related to the above.

Oh get off it. The caricature of the white nerd as a despised other that is an occasional feature of progressive discourse is autistically coded as fvck.

I think you're incorrect here. I think that at times progressives (in part, though the right can be a big part of the problem too) can use ableist language and stereotypes in denigrating nerds, but I don't think that's that major of an issue. It's something that happens and it should stop, but it's not really some crisis that requires detailed complaint and immediate redressing, I feel, simply being called out when it comes up. In addition, it's worth noting that social anxiety is far from the only symptom of people on the autistic spectrum, and to say so is incredibly reductionist at best, and outright offensive at worst. You may not mean to be offense, but when you reduce it to a singular component most favorable to your argument, that's how it comes across.

The fact is that the idea that nerds are some oppressed class is outright laughable, and to claim that nerds are akin to neurologically atypical people because sometimes they can be socially awkward (not all the time I should note) is incredibly offensive to actual neurotypical people that have to suffer from debilitating symptoms of a variety of types and marginalizes their struggles, in addition to boosting the struggles of white nerds, who do get advantages particularly in geek culture, (portions of SV are hardly representative I feel), is incredibly opportunistic, to put it mildly.

I'm autistic, involved in autistic self-advocacy, and have met numerous autistic self-advocates and autism experts. What you are claiming is false and deeply offensive.

Man this thread is going super well :V

Also I thought that this was a hate thread originally based on the title and was surprised to see it open.

The implicit "nerd = Autistic" implication here is actually offensive.

Congratulations, you've managed to be the first person on SV i have seen who is actually denigrating to nerds.
The split between jocks (physically competent), communications-oriented people (what is usually oversimplified into 'right-hemisphere/left-hand' skills* competent) and nerds (what is usually oversimplified into 'left-hemisphere/right-hand' skills** competent) seemed to be pretty prominent both in school and at the uni. While there is some overlap between nerds and the spectrum, I wouldn't say that there's an '=' sign in there. But the non-nerds seeing themselves as the norm and the nerds as those people with abnormal neural wiring that makes them engage in cryptic stuff instead of 'more human' interests has been there when I went to school, it's been there when I went to uni, it's been there on my previous job, and occasionally I see glimpses of it on my current job (but it's way less obvious now because for once at least half the office is nerdy to an appreciable extent).

If you find the implication offensive, it might be better to take it up with the people who have actually popularised the implication. Me, I'm more leaning towards sticks and stones, so when I heard a hundredth joke about being an alien or robot because I have different interests and competences, I just shrug and smile and go on with my life.

* == Literature, art, etiquette, poetry, psychology etc.
** == Math, informatics, biology, RPG system mastery etc.

I mean I'm a nerd who loves to write and preferred English and AP Speculative Fiction to Mathematics, and plays like three different table top games every week. I don't think the delineation between "jock" and "nerd" is as clear cut as you want it to be.

Besides, you leave out women who are nerds entirely in this discussion. Most of the nerdy women I know are deeply into the visual arts either as a profession or a hobby and tend to pursue what you define as 'right-hemisphere' skills/interests. While also playing RPGs.

Your definition doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

I'm arguably a jock and a nerd. I did Academic Decathalon in High School, but I also ran track. I wasn't that great at math, but I loved English and History (so much that I majored in it) and these days I'm sort of a gym rat/jock and still do all my nerdy bullshit, including LARPing. And I don't play RPGs for "system mastery", I play them for storytelling. Building a murder sheet can be kinda cool, but it's not why I play tabletop.

I think that overall the point being made in the last couple posts is that we should take here is that "nerd culture" isn't some sort of effective monolith that we can effectively stereotype into a neat little box. Women are nerds, myself included, "jocks" are nerds, pretty much anybody can be a nerd. It's in all inclusive category, and it should be because gatekeeping is gross and completely unneccesary. It alienates part of the demographic that is just as interested in nerdy persuits as anybody else and just as likely to want to engage in these sorts of activities and be part of "nerdy" communities. Generalizing is incredibly harmful because it erases these people and acts like they don't matter, when they do matter. They're human beings and they engage in this sort of behavior because they're human beings and they can be interested in whatever they like as long as it doesn't harm another party. We need to be careful to avoid exclusive language and tearing groups from classifications, because they deserve to be in them just as much as anyone else.

The fact is that the idea that nerds are some oppressed class is outright laughable
I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. I made no claims about who does or does not suffer from structural oppression. I mere pointed a trend where discourse dunking on privledged groups can be used to mask problematic beliefs even as it spreads them. If I were willing to reach a little further I'd extend that to "we shouldn't condone the categorical othering of any group no matter how privileged, because it always ends up reinforcing problematic shit."
:Citation Needed:

First of al, please define "progressive discourse." Some examples of this would be nice, too.

Second, pls explain what the actual symptoms associated with ASD are and how they related to the above.

More specifically there's a tendency to take "people being really bad at reading social cues" to worrying places. Like if you want to understand why certain people really raise their hackles when people use othering language to large ill defined groups that post is a good place to start.
That post said:
More alarms are going off for me, obviously. (We know alarms are not infallible.) I'm not a channer or a WN or any of that stuff. But Sandifer is not taking aim at any particular little group. He's drawing a giant lasso around a large range of groups, some clearly despicable, and claiming that it's all part of one big thing which manifests, on the edges, even in the odd ways certain people talk about emotions. And he's saying that this gigantic group, this them, is opposed to empathic bridges, and hence it's a lost cause to try to empathically bridge with them ourselves.

I'm not a channer or a WN, but I'm not confident I'm not one of them. I do talk funny, after all, if you catch me off-guard. And thems have a habit of growing and growing.

I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. I made no claims about who does or does not suffer from structural oppression. I mere pointed a trend where discourse dunking on privledged groups can be used to mask problematic beliefs even as it spreads them.

Okay. I apologize for misinterpreting your intentions. As stated, I agree with that aspect of the post, I merely read it as going farther than that. If you did not mean to do so, that is my error.

That said, I do stand by the fact that you feel like you are equating people on the spectrum to white nerds in some capacity, and that is rather unfair and incredibly reductionist, while minimizing the symptoms that people on the spectrum go through. I may have over-extended in terms of the privilege point, but I do think that you are doing some fancy footwork there and that your social point is overexaggerated stereotyping at best.

Last edited:
@Mistborn
It might not be on purpose, but you ARE making false equivalences when it comes to how these things are treated and your claims lack grounding. And going by the sources you're using I'm guessing it's because you don't have the full picture.

As for your claims about people being bad about social cues, I've seen the exact opposite. I've seen awful people and their defenders try to use the fact that they're autistic or claim they're bad at social cues to try to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. Lawrence Krauss, James Damore, etc. You're feeding stereotypes about autistic people that are incredibly harmful.

Being not too far from the "classical neckbeard" myself (and having had one out of lack of care for fairly boring and generic reasons I don't want to get into,) that tumblr post annoys me a lot. I recognize that people can be trash when making fun of people, no doubt there, but there's something in it I have trouble to express.

I am not my symptoms, I am not a machine, incapable of reflection, introspection and self-improvement, I can, actually, improve, for example, my social skills. It's not entirely natural to me, or easy, but it happens. And seeing myself (and others) given "You have that, stay like that, because you have that. Also, no making fun of it." when it is an inconvenience (at the very least to me) gives me that same feeling those self-help booklets do when they tell people to "be themselves!" but stronger.

It's hard to express, but I really don't like it.

[*]There seems to be a double standard when it comes to treatments nerds vs. neurotypicals/regular folks and the skill spheres they're good at. When a regular person fails at math (or other nerdy subjects), the usual reaction is that it's because math is hard and of course the person in question needs help and leniency; when a nerd fails at a philology (or other regular-people/communications-oriented subjects), that's unacceptable because these subjects make you human and anyone failing them is less human.
[/list]

I've seen a lot of problem with "the person is a jerk, that means they must be really good at what they do," and "I'm good at this, why should I bother with manners?". None of which has to do with being neurotypical or not.

And still, comparing them to persecuted ethnic groups is not a good comparison on more levels than the ones you named. Like... people die because of who they are, there's no anti-nerd hate groups.

Finally, while the makeup of this board is undeniably nerdy, there's a lot of social nerds here too. Nerd = poor social skills stopped being the assumption when nerdity got mainstreamed.

Last edited:
@Mistborn
It might not be on purpose, but you ARE making false equivalences when it comes to how these things are treated and your claims lack grounding. And going by the sources you're using I'm guessing it's because you don't have the full picture.

As for your claims about people being bad about social cues, I've seen the exact opposite. I've seen awful people and their defenders try to use the fact that they're autistic or claim they're bad at social cues to try to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. Lawrence Krauss, James Damore, etc. You're feeding stereotypes about autistic people that are incredibly harmful.
I'm feeding nothing and you're the one making false equivalences. My position is as followed. The discourse of othering vaguely defined privileged groups allow problematic views to spread under the cover of social justice. Therefor we should be less willing to other people and less willing to make uncharitable assumptions about people who object to othering language. If object to that then object to it but don't put words in my mouth and try to link me to arguments I haven't made.

I'm feeding nothing and you're the one making false equivalences. My position is as followed. The discourse of othering vaguely defined privileged groups allow problematic views to spread under the cover of social justice. Therefor we should be less willing to other people and less willing to make uncharitable assumptions about people who object to othering language. If object to that then object to it but don't put words in my mouth and try to link me to arguments I haven't made.
Which you still haven't proven is happening as you're claiming and you're doing by attacking disadvantaged groups. Like always a problem claimed to be afflicting the privileged is actually just a negative side effect of the system that keeps their privilege intact.
Social justice advocates have already addressed the parts of your arguments that are actual problems with the body positivity movement.

I've seen a lot of problem with "the person is a jerk, that means they must be really good at what they do," and "I'm good at this, why should I bother with manners?". None of which has to do with being neurotypical or not.
We may be talking about different things. I'm talking about the double standard between "Humanities make you human, everyone must be perfect at them to earn the title; technical skills are really hard and anyone failing them should be given some slack" in school.

Finally, while the makeup of this board is undeniably nerdy, there's a lot of social nerds here too. Nerd = poor social skills stopped being the assumption when nerdity got mainstreamed.
> nerdity got mainstreamed
That's . . . something of simplified description of what happened. I recall the push for splitting the nerds/geeks into the more monomaniacal and uncool nerds versus the trendy and cool geeks. (I'm not sure how much the dichotomy stuck but I'll get to it later - some of it did seem to have a follow-up.) And the latter 'sanitised' version of nerdity (devoid of many things that resulted in society branding someone a nerd in the first place, e.g. 'dancing geek' even though dancing was generally something popular kids did, not nerds) that became mainstreamed. Meanwhile, the former 'half' can also be recognised in mainstream entertainment / popular consciousness, relegated to butt monkeys like Sheldon Cooper (technically mainstream, but not in a positive way!). The terminology doesn't always line up with the above split (people mostly not being pedantic about it), but a substitute in exactly what has been mainstreamed did occur.

I should also note an important thing about this mainstreaming process: it's being pushed by North America / Western Europe, and being culturally close to epicentre results in overestimating its effect on the world anyway.

TL;DR: the 'mainstreaming' is in no ways a uniformly positive process for the original demographic.

We may be talking about different things. I'm talking about the double standard between "Humanities make you human, everyone must be perfect at them to earn the title; technical skills are really hard and anyone failing them should be given some slack" in school.

That's funny, I've always had it told to me as "Humanities are useless chaff, only things with numbers in them matter." from just about everyone, ever. Funnily enough, the first authority figure to ever say that humanities were important was the director of an engineering school, he was also the last. The boss bitching that his reports aren't right and never hinting at what's wrong with them even when asked still bitches that humanities are nothing but useless dead trees.

You completely ignored the other part of what I said.

So as I've pointed out, this is whataboutism.
Oh dear how gauche of me making arguments which are "already addressed". Clearly then no one should any cause to complain about ableism/fat-shaming/ect within the social justice for all time since it's "already addressed". It hilarious how I need to provide citations but you can just wave things aside with an unsourced "already addressed". Also whataboutism is when you bring up an unrelated bad thing in order to deflect criticism, sort of like what you did in you second reply to me. IT does not mean any mention of bad things when you think it's inappropriate, please consider not debating in bad faith in the future.
All of my objections you quoted apply equally to the unhelpful post you img-ed.

It doesn't actually address anything I asked for except maybe "example would also help"
Let's get real for a second. When someone says "I don't believe this problematic thing happens show me your citations" have you even seen them to actually change their position? We've all seen neckbeard/brony/fedora guy/ect caricatures. If people look at that stuff and say nope nothing ableist or otherwise problematic here it's beyond me to change their mind.

@Mistborn
You're claiming people here are defending that or denying that it's ableist or body-shaming. Nobody is.
I'm an overweight autistic man and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trying to use me as your shield when people criticize your false equivalences and refusal to address what's actually being said.

@Mistborn
You're claiming people here are defending that or denying that it's ableist or body-shaming. Nobody is.
I'm an overweight autistic man and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop trying to use me as your shield when people criticize your false equivalences and refusal to address what's actually being said.
I'd like to hope no one is going to defend or deny that. Indeed that we all recognize that the neckbeard caricature is bad is the basis for my argument.

What's under contention is where I say the neckbeard caricature and the like are an inevitable product of discourse that others abstract groups. As long as you're producing a caricature of "the other" what you produce is inevitably going to be problematic somehow.

@Mistborn
Who are you arguing against? Because every time someone points out where you're wrong or where you're promoting harmful stereotypes you instead retreat to a different position then what you originally said.

@Mistborn
Who are you arguing against? Because every time someone points out where you're wrong or where you're promoting harmful stereotypes you instead retreat to a different position then what you originally said.
Who am I arguing against? Apparently no one because you clearly don't understand the topic of argument enough to contradict me much less create a working counter-argument. I've tried restating my position like five times on just this page I'm not doing it again, if you're not going to respond to my actual words then don't bother responding.

Back