SV does not have an odd problem with bigotry

Fandom Lord

Antiestablishmentarian
Banned
Suspended
The Intellectual, Moral, and Literal High Ground
Sufficient Velocity has multiple problems with bigotry and they're common problems.

So I've started this thread to compile all the threads have brought up and discussed bigotry on SV constructively.

Let's Talk About Louis Farrakhan and Bigotry in Progressive Spheres: Exactly what the title says. It mainly deals with antisemitism.

General Thread on Antisemitism: An offshoot of the above thread. Exactly what the title says.

SV has an Imaginary Number problem: Thread on racism against and a lack of representation for people who aren't white or Japanese Asian in stories.

Bigotry via Ignorance, and How to Deal With It: How to deal with bigotry born of ignorance rather than malice.

If you're starting a new thread on bigotry on SV, feel free to post it here.

Why does SV have so many problems with bigotry despite the tighter regulations it has compaired to other sites?

It isn't that we have a problem with Bigotry, beyond the bigotry that always comes when you have a bunch of nerdy white people together on the internet.

Instead, it's blown up because SV is a place where you won't be punished for calling someone out for bigotry.

Why does SV have so many problems with bigotry despite the tighter regulations it has compaired to other sites?
That's exactly why. Bigotry exists everywhere, but SV is treating it as a problem and discussing it, where other sites just might let it slide.

It's like... if you have more drug-related crimes on the book, your statistics on drug-related crimes will go up. Strange, I know.

It isn't that we have a problem with Bigotry, beyond the bigotry that always comes when you have a bunch of nerdy white people together on the internet.

Instead, it's blown up because SV is a place where you won't be punished for calling someone out for bigotry.

I hope you realize the irony of what you just posted.

Why don't you explain it to the class

@Fivemarks complains that bigotry goes unpunished on SV while in the same post taking a swipe at "nerdy white people".
Now, I know the zeitgiest of this age makes "nerdy white people" out to be the new Jew, the designated punching bag, but for those who can disassociate themselves from the "truths" of the day, this is profoundly ironic.

And it's really not blown up in a bad way in the threads I've read- more pulling it into the light to talk about it.

@Fivemarks complains that bigotry goes unpunished on SV while in the same post taking a swipe at "nerdy white people".
Now, I know the zeitgiest of this age makes "nerdy white people" out to be the new Jew, the designated punching bag, but for those who can disassociate themselves from the "truths" of the day, this is profoundly ironic.

There is a profound difference between an ethnic group and a large subset of a dominant group. 'Nerd' hasn't been a social disadvantage for decades.

Last edited:

Listen I know you think that you're the wokest of the woke that understands the Hard Truths of society and truly understands the matter of bigotry that plagues society, and therefore are ready to deliver said Hard Truths, but if you were you'd realize what a fucking horrific comparison that is.

Like you get that Jewish people still experience hate crimes, right?

Last edited:
Can one truly be dominant if others can shit upon them without consequence?

Edit: yeah, the comparison with the jews ain't there yet, but the auditudes among certain segments seem to be going there.

Last edited:
You know, I try to get people to stop saying things like 'the whites' or 'white people,' because it's not really helpful, but then shit like this happens.

That is absolutely not the zeitgeist of this age and comparing someone calling you a name to a people that have been persecuted for years and had to endure one of the worst genocides in recent history is honestly really gross.

Edit: yeah, the comparison with the jews ain't there yet, but the auditudes among certain segments seem to be going there.

The day people treat white nerds the way they treat people that aren't white, lgbt+ people, or people that have handicaps I'll be surprised.

Like, people were never killed just for being nerds

People were never barred from getting jobs or entering public places just because they're nerds

Nerds may get ridiculed sure, but being ridiculed isn't the same as being actively oppressed or discriminated against, it's not even close.

Can one truly be dominant if others can shit upon them without consequence?

How about you don't try and making a comparison between "nerdy white people" and those of us who are Jews. It is fucking disgusting to try and attempt some fucking comparison or to try and score some kind of cheap points by saying that you are "the new Jew". Not even fucking close. "Nerdy white people" have not suffered near a millennium of pogroms, murder, forced conversions, expelled from living in areas, religious persecution, barred from jobs, or that of genocide to say the least. So I'd strongly suggest not to make any kind of comparison between "nerdy white people" to those who are Jewish or any other religious, racial, or sexual minority.

...That's not what @Fivemarks said at all. He said that SV is a place where the person calling out bigotry won't be punished for doing so.

Today I learned ....
1. That I should double check my posts before posting.
2. That I won't be persuading people over the internet.

There is a profound difference between an ethnic group and a large subset of a dominant group. 'Nerd' hasn't been a social disadvantage for decades.
On one hand, I agree that the comparison to the whole Jewish experience is very, very inaccurate. I understand what narrow subset of experience was meant to be compared, but it's an extremely small subset. On the other hand, I strongly disagree with your statement about nerds not being at a social disadvantage, here's why why:
  • Being inept at social skills and being slow to learn social skill is itself a social disadvantage, full stop.
  • Being bad at social skills while being useful in an important but cryptic niche (e.g. programming at work, or providing help with math and physics to jocks at school/uni) magnifies the above effect and creates resentment. It means that a nerd is disliked (due to being socially meh) but necessary, and so others don't want to deal with said nerd yet circumstances force them to, and thus they direct their negative emotions at said nerd as if it's the nerd's fault.
  • There seems to be a double standard when it comes to treatments nerds vs. neurotypicals*/regular folks and the skill spheres they're good at. When a regular person fails at math (or other nerdy subjects), the usual reaction is that it's because math is hard and of course the person in question needs help and leniency; when a nerd fails at a philology (or other regular-people/communications-oriented subjects), that's unacceptable because these subjects make you human and anyone failing them is less human. (This seems to interact weirdly with the above point, as while not very 'human', technical skills are quite in demand.)
  • Being both physically weak and uncharismatic tends to mean that a person neither can easily call on the jocks to stand up for one nor is one any good at standing up for oneself.

* == Whether or not there's an actual overlap between nerds and on-spectrum people, the popular kids and the jocks seem to perceive anyone who's not interested in more social activities and inclined towards monofocused interests as having something wrong with the neural wiring IME.

Last edited:
Yeah too be fair to zmeta their is a lot of ableist discourse out there that get's a pass because it's sold as dunking on "white nerds". Less so on this website but I'm not going to fault people for being defensive about this stuff.

• There seems to be a double standard when it comes to treatments nerds vs. neurotypicals/regular folks and the skill spheres they're good at. When a regular person fails at math (or other nerdy subjects), the usual reaction is that it's because math is hard and of course the person in question needs help and leniency; when a nerd fails at a philology (or other regular-people/communications-oriented subjects), that's unacceptable because these subjects make you human and anyone failing them is less human.

The implicit "nerd = Autistic" implication here is actually offensive.

Congratulations, you've managed to be the first person on SV i have seen who is actually denigrating to nerds.

Nerd is the single largest subculture currently existing in western societies.

And "Nerd" doesn't mean "Autistic".

The implicit "nerd = Autistic" implication here is actually offensive.

Congratulations, you've managed to be the first person on SV i have seen who is actually denigrating to nerds.
Oh get off it. The caricature of the white nerd as a despised other that is an occasional feature of progressive discourse is autistically coded as fvck.

Oh get off it. The caricature of the white nerd as a despised other that is an occasional feature of progressive discourse is autistically coded as fvck.
What? The current stereotypes in progressive spheres of the white male nerd doesn't have anything in common with autism, unless the symptoms of autism now include misogyny, racism, and other various forms of bigotry.

Back