An absolutely absurdly well put together film. Definitely among my favorite superhero movies, period.

I'm still in shock that Sony Pictures were the ones behind this. Spider-verse's contemporaries are Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation and The Star. The last time their movies were notable was when they released The Emoji Movie. Where the hell did this even come from?
I've heard that the people Sony hired to make it apparently pulled off some trickery to ensure that they had full control, and Sony couldn't change anything.

If so, it proved an excellent decision.

I've heard that the people Sony hired to make it apparently pulled off some trickery to ensure that they had full control, and Sony couldn't change anything.

If so, it proved an excellent decision.

Do you have a citation on that? Because, while it's not impossible its also... somewhat suspicious. Sony funds the movie and owns the Spiderman license, so like, if they wanted to change anything there isn't really anything anyone could do. It also the type of story that sounds like one people want to hear. The cool clever filmmakers sticking it to the man through trickery and awesomeness, and stories that people want to hear get passed on more often and looked at less critically.

Oh man this was amazing. The fakeout with Doc Ock was superb.

I also love how May called Doc Ock by the "my friends call me" name. Which is an excellent shout out to when they dated in the comics.

That was incredible.

That was superlative.

That was the best spiderman movie of all time.

I cancelled all my plans for the evening to fucking start writing about this movie.

Also oh my god the Stinger.

I really liked it, though I wish it was a little slower. Also, that I actually paid attention to what I was watching.

But then, really, one of these complaints is my fault, the other one is basically just me asking for more movie, which means that as you can tell, I fucking adore it.

It's basically the equal of the Raimi Movies.

My only complaint is that they didn't have the guts to get Tobey Maguire to voice Hobo Peter. Overshadowing Miles my foot, they could have gotten Tobey and left the script untouched.

Also a bit odd (not a complaint - I completely understand they didn't want to overstuff the movie or distract from the plot) that they had a "Peter's afraid of having kids" subplot without even a cameo from Mayday, but I guess that's for sequels.

Last edited:
My only complaint is that they didn't have the guts to get Tobey Maguire to voice Hobo Peter. Overshadowing Miles my foot, they could have gotten Tobey and left the script untouched.

Also a bit odd (not a complaint - I completely understand they didn't want to overstuff the movie or distract from the plot) that they had a "Peter's afraid of having kids" subplot without even a cameo from Mayday, but I guess that's for sequels.
Honestly, I don't think Maguire's voice would've suited this Peter. Jake Johnson did a splendid job with selling his character as old and tired here.

A thing I find a bit weird is how the fact that Noir is also a Peter Parker didn't seem to matter much compared to Spider-Hobo's Peter Parker-ness.

A thing I find a bit weird is how the fact that Noir is also a Peter Parker didn't seem to matter much compared to Spider-Hobo's Peter Parker-ness.
He's a Peter Parker from a universe that's 80 years off, whereas Hobo Parker is only ten years off. He's too divergent for folks to mentally slot him into the dead one-shaped space in their head.

Hey I got a bit of a question, that I'm not sure if it's a result of misremembering;

Did Gwen show up in Miles' school prior to the first show-down in the Hadron Collider? Because if so, how did she end up in Miles' universe?

Hey I got a bit of a question, that I'm not sure if it's a result of misremembering;

Did Gwen show up in Miles' school prior to the first show-down in the Hadron Collider? Because if so, how did she end up in Miles' universe?
Yeah, she did, but it's implied that it's due to time fuckery and causality not really playing right between dimensions.

She says it outright,
The collider blew her into last week - literally. She arrived prior to the event that pulled her in, and she followed her Spider-Sense to Miles' school to lay low and investigate until she figured out what was going on.

Kinda makes me feel bad for Andrew Garfield.

There are now like, four spiderman movie universes (five if you count venom and it doesn't end up getting merged with the MCU) and almost all of them are excellent in their own ways, and he gets stuck in the one that's 'okay' at best'.

There are now like, four spiderman movie universes (five if you count venom and it doesn't end up getting merged with the MCU) and almost all of them are excellent in their own ways, and he gets stuck in the one that's 'okay' at best'.
it didn't even spawn that many memes, tbh

also, i found something really good.

sharing is caring.

Despite being the weakest universe, I gotta admit that I'm quite fond of Spider-Andrew's webshooters.

Back