Skooma Cat (TES V: Skyrim)

Sheogorath has the unique priviledge of being able to bypass Martin Septim's barrier, and to freely travel to any point in time he so desires. Meridia has a similar power, she can dialate the flow of time in a localized area--slowing it down or speeding it up or both.

Sheogorath has the unique priviledge of being able to bypass Martin Septim's barrier, and to freely travel to any point in time he so desires. Meridia has a similar power, she can dialate the flow of time in a localized area--slowing it down or speeding it up or both.

Well, he was there when Martin made it, and was a close friend. Of course he would be able to.

Chapter 15
---
Chapter 15: Hail, Companions

After months of improvised conditions, spending a night in a bed in a home was a pleasant reprieve. After the Winking Skeever, it did not have the same debilitating levels of comfiness, but Mohamara still found himself sleeping longer than was normal.

After the morning meal was finished, Yagraz and Mohamara exited Breezehome. The Orc Companion wanted the Khajiit to meet her shield-siblings before they went up to Dragonsreach. Mohamara had elected to wear some of his clothes from home--green shorts, a white button-up shirt, his white and red coat, and newly enchanted Red Shoes. Yagraz's armored boots did not show the enchanted red tinge as clearly as Mohamara's, but they both still cast faint red lights on the ground as they walked.

The Red Shoes enchantment had been developed in the Nineteenth Era by Doro'thei Galle, of House Sadras in Morrowind. She had pleaded with Azura, Daedric Prince of Twilight, to provide succor to those souls in need of it--or to make Doro'thei an agent of Her benevolence. Azura had responded by creating a new Daedric artifact, the Ruby Slippers. The slippers allowed Doro'thei to cross the distance between Red Mountain and Mournhold in one step, and to teleport instantly to where Azura needed her to be. After a century of acting as Azura's agent, Doro'thei discovered a way to create a lesser form of the enchantment to empower others. Azura promptly turned the Ruby Slippers into shoes of red-hot iron and compelled Doro'thei to dance herself to death.

Azura was like that sometimes.

But the Red Shoes enchantment proved invaluable for people such as police officers, adventurers, and philanthropists up until the late Nineteenth Era when the regulation of grand soul gems, which were required for the Red Shoes enchantment, took effect. Their 'spell' was that the shoes would automatically detect people in need nearby and activate--providing a potentially ludicrous boosts to speed, agility, and jump height. Doro'thei's one oversight in the enchantment was that it provided no way to find out whom was in need in the area.

Which came up as the two of them passed through the marketplace. Both Mohamara and Yagraz suddenly found themselves moving at breakneck speeds despite not putting in additional effort. Neither of them adjusted well to this.

Yagraz ended up running into the wall near the stairs connecting the Winds and Plains districts, leaving a sizable crack in the stones. While Mohamara had tried to jump and suddenly found himself in the air at equal height to the pinnacle of Dragonsreach.

"I'm beginning to think this was an awful idea," the cat said as gravity took over and the cat started to fall back to Whiterun. This time he had the presence of mind to scream at his impending splattering.
This did not happen as Yagraz managed to use her own enhanced jump height to catch Mohamara and carry the both of them through the air to land in the branches of the Gildegreen tree. "Okay," she started before spitting out a mouthful of pastel leaves. "Someone in the marketplace needs help. We're going to have to find out who that is." She looked down at Mohamara who was frantically clawing at his throat, then slapped him on the back.

A live bird came out of the Khajiit's mouth, freed by the blow. "Yeah." The tojay coughed a few feathers out. "That sounds like a plan."

"Excuse me," a yellow-armored Whiterun guard called out to them from the ground. "Could you please get out of the Gildegreen and stop jumping hundreds of feet into the air? You're disturbing the peace."

--

It was… surprisingly difficult to find out who needed help so badly that it procced the Red Shoes enchantment. It seemed that many people in the marketplace were in need of some assistance. A fruit-selling woman was being hounded by the bard from the local tavern, whom Yagraz knocked out cold with one solid punch. A local Redguard man Yagraz knew, Amren, had gotten into a fight with his wife about retrieving his father's sword, which Yagraz had already picked up but not known the significance of. It startled Mohamara that she knew the weapons in her house enough to immediately identify one iron sword she'd picked up months ago with minimal details.

Ysolda, a Nord business partner of Ri'saad who had fawned over Mohamara's cuteness when she first saw him, required a mammoth tusk for Ri'saad as a gift.

But the person most in need of help turned out to be an associate of Yagraz, an elderly woman who was the wife of the Companion's smith. Fralia Gray-Mane, who had a humble stall where she sold exquisite jewelry made 'by the greatest smith in Skyrim', was being taunted by two younger Nord men.

Taunted about her allegedly recently deceased son.

Yagraz wanted to beat their faces into pulp, for apparently, she knew them, but Mohamara had a better idea. With extreme care given the active enchantment, the tojay stole up to them and established a sympathetic bond with each of them on one end, then ran to a relatively nearby stall where fresh meat was being sold. The other end of the sympathetic bonds went into two pork bellies which he then bade the Bosmer attendant make bacon from.

The two time-travelers watched in morbid amusement as the two Nords twitched, spasmed, contorted, and examined themselves as they felt the knives of the Bosmer cutting through skin and cutting up connective tissue for bacon. Both of them broke off tormenting Fralia, and hastily made for the temple of Kynareth. The elder of the two had to be supported by the other or he would have collapsed on the stairs.

Justice would make the bacon taste all the better, so Yagraz gladly paid for it and carried the pork product off to Breezehome. Meanwhile, Mohamara met with Fralia, who watched the cat approach with some wariness.

"I saw you do that magic to them," the old Nord woman said in a whisper. "It was good of you to help an old woman. Are you another of Yagraz's adopted children?"

The tojay's ears adjusted, unconsciously conveying confusion through body language rather than facial expression. "'Another'? I've only seen Yagraz have one daughter."

"Oh, she hasn't told you about little Sofie…." Fralia looked down the road to Breezehome, a peculiar wetness in her eye. "Yagraz brought a girl home about a year back, from Windhelm. Things were alright at first, but she caught the same rot that now eats at old Kodlak. And, well, little girls cannot endure it as long as Harbingers of the Companions." Fralia looked away for a moment then put on a smiling face for the Khajiit. "But that girl was loved every moment she was in Whiterun."

Mohamara's ears and whiskers drooped. He'd been giving Yagraz even more problems when she'd lost a kid already. 'Just typical', he thought. 'Making her life even worse with my problems. And now I'm making it about me by realizing how much she already has to deal with.'

"Oh, I didn't mean to make you sad, young'in. Could you tell Yagraz I was wondering if we could talk later?" The old Nord hesitantly patted Mohamara on the head in between his ears. "Tell her it's about Thorald, okay?"

"No problem, ma'am."

"What's this about Thorald?" Yagraz had already returned, likely due to the Red Shoes giving her greater speed as she drew closer to Fralia. "Did he hurt his back training with a warhammer again?"

"Oh, how I wish it was something as mundane as that," Fralia shook her fists in frustration. "No, my boy went off and joined the Stormcloaks. I got a letter that he died in the recent battle up at Morthal, but…." The old woman placed a hand over her heart and looked north. "I know that isn't true, my boy is alive, I feel it."

Yagraz elbowed Mohamara and indicated him to use some Mysticism on Fralia by waggling her fingers and sticking her tongue out at the Nord when Fralia wasn't looking.

Annoyed by the way Yagraz treated his school of magic, Mohamara nevertheless dove into the sympathetic bonds around Fralia. He saw the faces of many Nords, all with gray hair. Some images faded away until only a handful remained. Most of the bonds arched over Whiterun to indicate the people that Fralia was connected with were in town. But one bond stretched far to the north and west.

The symbol of Morthal appeared, then was replaced by a sneering High Elf in a Thalmor hood, and being pulled even further northwest. A ruined castle on the northern coast of Skyrim, with a view of a haunting castle island just barely within reach.

When he came out of the bonds, Yagraz had picked him up and was chatting with Fralia about how well her husband's jewelry took to enchanting, showing the Nord woman the ring of regeneration Mohamara had made as an example.

"Well," the Nord elder said hesitantly. "It's good to know that my Eorland's work is even good for doing magic too, though don't tell him that. He might retire out of spite."

"Eh." Yagraz shrugged. "He didn't mind much when I got my ax enchanted. Doesn't make it cut any deeper or hurt any more than a normal ax, just collects the souls of undead and animals to sell to wizards."

"I know where Thorald is being held," Mohamara told Yagraz. "A castle on the north coast of Haafingar, where you can see an island castle just barely."

Fralia's eyes boggled as she looked intensely at Mohamara.

"Ooh, that's probably Northwatch." Yagraz rubbed her chin in consideration. "A Thalmor torture facility that the rest of Skyrim isn't supposed to know about."

Fralia's face went pale as she turned her intense gaze on Yagraz.

"Not supposed to know about as in 'illegal' or 'not officially there'?"

The poor Nord woman looked at each of them in turn, confused but unable to articulate a question.

"Super duper illegal. Me and Avulstein used to bust people out of there on the regular. They torture all kinds of people up that way: Talos worshippers, suspected Talos worshippers, some Elves that fled to Skyrim after the Thalmor took over, stuff like that."

Fralia swayed on her feet and had to lean on her stand to remain standing.

"Well then we can bust in there no problem and the Thalmor can't do dick about it because what they're doing is in violation of the White-Gold Concordat."

The smith's wife finally decided fighting gravity was a losing proposition, and sat down behind her stand.

"Oh hell yes. Come on, I'll bring the idea up to the Companions, we'll make a party out of it. ...Where'd Fralia go?"

--

Jorrvaskr was an ancient Nord ship flipped upside down and converted into a mead hall at the edge of the Winds District. Like Dragonsreach, it had a strong network of sympathetic bonds that branched out to the whole of Skyrim. However, unlike Dragonsreach, the mead hall had seen better days--planks were missing from the roof which allowed birds to nest in the gaps.

"You know I can walk on my own…." Mohamara spoke to Yagraz from her shoulder.

"Yeah, but in here things tend to get rowdy fast and I'm not going to let you get buried under a pile of wrestling fools." Yagraz's expression went distant while she opened one set of the double doors into Jorrvaskr. "You're not the type that likes that sorta thing."

As if to prove her point, the literal second they entered the mead hall punches started to be thrown. A Dunmer man and a Nord woman, both in light armor were fighting hand to hand and taunting each other off to one side of the mead hall.

"Athis, what the shit is the matter with you?!" Yagraz became incensed by the fight and almost knocked Mohamara off her shoulder from how much force she used to throw her hands up and bring them back down. "I've hit you harder than that, and you're already bleeding?"

Athis, apparently the Dunmer, was indeed already bleeding from the mouth from a vicious punch in the teeth by the Nord woman. Other people in the mead hall gathered around the fight and cheered words of encouragement to the fighters. Except an old Nord dressed in dull gray armor with several pieces modeled after wolf heads--even a sizable fur skirt. His eyes were milky with partial blindness, and his face covered by a mane of a white beard.

"And who is this you bring to us, Yagraz?" The Nord's voice was world-weary in much the same way Ri'saad's was, but with an inner weakness that made Mohamara assume the man was ill. Without prompting, the Nord reached up and began to scratch under the tojay's chin.

At first, he wanted to snap at the finger getting up in his grill, but after a second of the scratching Mohamara found himself relaxing far more than was appropriate given the situation. Tojay could only purr on the exhale, so the Khajiit was giving inconsistent indications that the scratching was appreciated.

"Kodlak, don't do that you'll make him fall off--hey!"

Mohamara had leaned a bit too far into the scratching and almost fell off Yagraz's shoulder but the Nord--Kodlak--hastily caught Mohamara by the chest and put him back.

"Apologies, shield-sister. You know how I get with cats." Kodlak stepped away, and his ceased chin-scratching let Mohamara come back to his senses and act suitably miffed at the personal space invasion.

"This is Mohamara, the guy I've been looking for all these years." Yagraz poked at the cat's face, only retracting her poking fingers when Mohamara snapped at them. "Found him while I was in Solitude."

"This is the one?" Kodlak squinted at the tojay and put his hands on his hips. "Either he is unnaturally short, or he was a babe when you first started looking."

"It's the first one." Mohamara volunteered with a forced smile. "Props to you for at least considering the possibility."

"Nice fangs." Kodlak's eyebrows rose appreciatively. "Unexpectedly large for someone so small."

"You say one word...." Mohamara whipped his head around to glare down at Yagraz immediately. "You laugh--you even chuckle--and I will stab you. On Malacath's massive pecs, I swear it"

Yagraz had to cover her face to keep from laughing. After a minute of doing so with Mohamara glaring at her and Kodlak looking at both of them in confusion, she uncovered her face with a neutral expression. "Okay, I'm good."

Mohamara kept up the glaring for a moment longer, then relented. His tail continued to twitch from lingering annoyance while he focused on Kodlak.

All of a sudden, Yagraz picked him up and set the cat on the ground. "That'swhatshesaid." And then bolted like her life depended on it.

Mohamara drew his Nordic dagger and pursued the fleeing, cackling Orc with his tail puffed up in absolute rage.

--

Mohamara never managed to catch up to Yagraz to stab her. The Orc woman had far more endurance than the Khajiit, and after he couldn't run anymore he became an oddity to be passed around between the Companions while Yagraz chastised Athis for losing his fight so easily.

There were two groups of Companions, the Circle, and the Whelps. The Whelps included Athis, his opponent Njada Stonearm, an Imperial woman named Ria who seemed to enjoy petting Mohamara, and a Nord drunk, Torvar. The Circle had four members aside from Yagraz and Kodlak. Farkas and Vilkas, twin Nords who both specialized in heavy armor and two-handed weapons, with Farkas being almost as ripped as Yagraz and Vilkas being the perfect mix of a jerk jock and a self-righteous scholar. Aela, the only other woman on the Circle was a slim Nord who wore hideously inefficient armor favored the bow. She appreciated the softness of Mohamara's fur perhaps too much given how often her hand slipped to a dagger she kept at her waist. And lastly was Skjor, blind in one eye, bald, and a dual-wielding fighter. Skjor quickly became Mohamara's second favorite Companion because he reminded him of an old priest Kilkreath Temple had, who tolerated exactly zero-percent of his friend's nonsense.

"Boy or not, a friend of Yagraz or not, he has no place here," Skjor said while Ria held Mohamara captive. "At least Vignar's minion can be useful."

"Skjor, the moment I am done teaching Athis how to take a punch for the fifteenth time," Yagraz called from the other end of the mead hall, "I will suplex you until you lay off my best friend. On Malacath's many abs, I swear it."

"To be honest, I don't exactly want to be here either." Mohamara had long learned that there was no point in fighting off warrior women who had decided they wanted to pet him because they'd just yank him back by the tail if he got away.

"There is a fire in your heart, little cat," Kodlak said as he helped Athis to a chair to rest from Yagraz's teaching. "Perhaps you just need the right company to give it shape."

Mohamara scoffed and looked at the Dunmer, leaning over a feasting table covered in bruises and missing a couple teeth. The elf was wearing Yagraz's regeneration ring, so his teeth would be back soon enough, but he was clearly in a lot of pain. The cat looked up at Ria who had been petting him between his ears. "Can you take me over to him? I'm a healer."

"Oh?" The Imperial woman seemed surprised but quickly complied.

Once in range, Mohamara channeled bursts of Restorative energy into the Dunmer, causing him to shine from within with golden light for a moment as bruises and lost blood were remedied. "I thank you, Khajiit," Athis said, stiff-voiced. "But you healing me just means she'll put me back into training again sooner."

"Well," Mohamara shrugged. "Maybe you should learn to dodge then?"

"See, Skjor? Yagraz brought us someone with the gift of healing." Kodlak ambled over to the other ancient Nord. "Seems suitably useful, in my book."

Skjor was about to speak when he found himself being grappled by an Orc woman taller than he and suplexed into the ground. "You thought I wasn't serious, Lord Baldy-bald?! People who doubt my taste in friends get suplex-noogies of shame!"

"I will skin you alive, woman!" Naturally, Skjor found the process of being suplexed and noogied against the stone floor of Jorrvaskr disagreeable.

"Promises promises Baldy-bald!"

Mohamara watched the scene play out before looking up to Ria again. "I'm okay with you continuing to pet me if you can take me up to Dragonsreach? I need to deliver a message to the Jarl."

"Ooh, sounds important." The friendly Imperial woman smiled and trotted out of the mead hall to comply with Mohamara's request. Guards greeted her warmly as they passed through the Winds District to the long stairs leading up to the Clouds District.

Dragonsreach palace was far more approachable than the Blue Palace, there was no foyer where those who wished to see the Jarl had to wait for a summons. The Jarl of Whiterun's home was meant to repel invaders, with huge open spaces inside and raised platforms flanking the staircase where defenders would be placed. At the top of the stairs was the throne room, where three massive tables almost completely surrounded a roaring bonfire.

Balgruuf, a blond Nord man in fine clothes with a strong body that was only just beginning to show the withering of age regarded Ria and Mohamara as they approached. His housecarl, a Dunmer woman, drew steel and advanced on them as the two drew near.

"What brings you before the Jarl of Whiterun, Companion?" The Dark Elf spoke with a muddled Morrowind accent like she had wandered much growing up. "Has this Khajiit stolen from you?"

"Hail, housecarl," Ria replied with a bow. "Nothing so mean-spirited today. This Khajiit says he has a letter for the Jarl, so I escorted him up to ensure nothing he didn't own found its way into his pockets."

Mohamara's ears flicked back as he glanced up at her. "And here I thought you found me cute," he muttered. He cleared his throat and spoke with authority utterly undermined by how Ria held him up off the air. "I am Mohamara Ahramani, of the bard's college, and current Fool of Solitude. I bring a personal message from my Jarl, Elisif the Fair to the Jarl of Whiterun, Balgruuf the Greater." He took the letter from inside his jacket and held it out.

Balgruuf himself said nothing but arched a brow absurdly high. Meanwhile, his housecarl snatched the letter and broke it open to read the contents. Without any further words, she walked away and handed the letter and its envelope to the Jarl to read.

"This is not the handwriting of her steward, Falk Firebeard, cat," the Jarl of Whiterun spoke with a voice that carried easily through his massive hall.

"Indeed, for she wrote that letter for you. Wrote it herself." Mohamara held the Jarl's gaze for a long moment before the Nord looked back at the letter.

"Someone fetch me a quill and paper. If Elisif cares so much for my advice to break tradition and write me directly, I will pay her back in kind." Balgruuf reclined on his throne while he read the letter, growing ever more pensive while he ran over the writing. "How is Elisif, Fool? She does not seem herself in this letter."

Mohamara shifted in Ria's grip as his legs had begun to go numb from poor circulation. "She escaped an assassination attempt by someone she trusted, someone her husband trusted. Elisif is angry, with herself, with others of her court who ignored the signs of what was happening, and with the guilty party. This anger has woken her up where before she was fast asleep."

Balgruuf nodded, resolute. "The first attempt on their life always lights a fire under a Jarl or empties their throne for someone better suited. And if the fire that burns within Elisif is for her people's happiness, I will tell her all I can on the subject." A servant woman brought the Jarl a writing slate, some paper, and a quill resting in an inkwell to write with.

"I don't suppose you could let me down?" Mohamara looked up once again at Ria, turning on his 'cute eyes' to try and sway her.

"I like you were you are, cat." Balgruuf paused only a moment to level a guarded look at Mohamara while he wrote. "Away from my silverware."

---

Words that your scribe writes for you can be explained away--they simply heard you wrong. But words you write for yourself you must live with forever.

Last edited:
Seems like that cat needs more petting, and chin scratches.

"Excuse me," a yellow-armored Whiterun guard called out to them from the ground. "Could you please get out of the Gildegreen and stop jumping hundreds of feet into the air? You're disturbing the peace."
Very amusing. I laughed out loud for almost four seconds.

It was… surprisingly difficult to find out who needed help so badly that it procced the Red Shoes enchantment.
Procced?

Also, that was a very sad story about the little girl.

Last edited:
Google said:
Proc is a common term used primarily in game programming to refer to an event - a "procedure" - triggered under particular circumstances.

No, it's intentional.

RIP Sofie, you will be missed.

Damnit balgruuf. Dont be racist depsite fantastic racism being supported by game mechanics, culture, tradition, and the caravan being a litral drug trade for incredibly addictive drugs they take by culture that ruin other species and still hit them hard....

Well just dont call him a cat unless he can call you a monkey. I mean the lack of free mystic communication does mean you have to take thing like this with a grain of salt until they have a personal rep...

Damn it i lost the pot and justified racism,.

Hnnh. I just played an hour of Skyrim and adopted the girl. She's not going to die under my watch.

And yeah, the specism is pretty easy to justify in the elder scrolls. What's surprising though is that everyone calls Ulfric racist, and I rose up to be his number 3 man under his guidance. He didn't keep me in the lower ranks and promote other Nords over me. I rose.

He didn't even know I was dragonborn. Shit, nor did I.

Last edited:
Ah, part of the housing DLC.

Why the special snowflake disease though?

Heh, Kodlak's wiki specifically mentions how werewolves are supposed to be 100% immune to disease.

Because the 'rot' isn't a disease--it's a parasite. But it will take nearly two hundred years for enough cases to have occurred that someone who academically studies diseases elects to study this one, and discovers this. Peryite doesn't like it when his siblings don't let him play with mortals too.

At the moment none of the Daedric quests have been done. Jyggalag still needs to make one of his own.

Hnnh. I just played an hour of Skyrim and adopted the girl. She's not going to die under my watch.

And yeah, the specism is pretty easy to justify in the elder scrolls. What's surprising though is that everyone calls Ulfric racist, and I rose up to be his number 3 man under his guidance. He didn't keep me in the lower ranks and promote other Nords over me. I rose.

He didn't even know I was dragonborn. Shit, nor did I.
But your the protagonist. And skyrim doesnt even do faction clothing.

Aye, I am the protaganist, but Ulfric doesn't know that. He just let this Thalmor armour wearing High Elf into his castle, and into his army, and let him advance in rank.

Chapter 16
---

Chapter 16: So Much Talking

"How in the world are you so knowledgeable about dragons, my good Khajiit?"

"I had some as professors at college and attended a lecture by one. The most dangerous part was the long walk up to the mountain, really. Otherwise, they were perfectly pleasant."

"At college? Which college?"

"The Jorrvaskr School of Clever Works, it isn't going to officially open to the public for a long time, though."

"Jorrvaskr… Oh! A secret society, of course! No one would suspect using the Companions' mead hall as a name for a secret college of mages."

While Mohamara watched the excitable Nord that was Balgruuf's court wizard, Farengar Secret-Fire write down all that Mohamara had told him about dragons and possibly sewed the seeds for his own school's formation many Eras later. The mutton-chopped wizard had originally struck up a conversation with Mohamara while the cat waited for Balgruuf to finish writing a reply to Elisif. But in the talking, Farengar had revealed his academic study of dragons, which Mohamara had used to bring up the subject of Numinex. From there, the discussion became progressively more draconic until Mohamara was rattling off random bits of trivia for Farengar to wonder over.

"I have to say, it is a clever idea," Ria commented. She still held the Khajiit aloft in Balgruuf's throne room. "And even works in a reference to the old Nordic title for wizards."

"Yes! The Clever Men and their Clever Craft, hardly anyone who hasn't spent time in a major learning center remember them." The wizard looked up from his note-taking with dawning confusion. "Um, how do you--"

"I have read literally every book, essay, or treatise on Ysgramor and Nord culture." Ria's tone was flat and her expression intense. "Literally, everything that has been published as of four months ago."

"...Well, it's good to see that Ysgramor's legacy of warrior-scholars has been renewed." Farengar's tone was of a brow-beaten bureaucrat more than a genuinely pleased scholar.

"Is it rude that I'm glad that his legacy of elf genocide isn't being renewed?" Mohamara looked at the two humans in turn. "I mean, yeah, the Thalmor can suck a mountain of dicks but having all High Elves die because of them is a bit much."

Balgruuf let out one 'ha!', and muttered 'mountain of dicks' to himself as he kept writing. Then he examined what he had written and sighed. A replacement sheet of paper was quickly swapped in and he started all over.

"Well, anyway. I must repay you for all this dragon-lore, my new friend." Farengar put away the journal he had wrote into and quickly made off to a side-room of Balgruuf's hall.

"...There is no secret society by that name, is there, little guy?" Ria scratched Mohamara under the chin for a moment and giggled when the tojay became limp in her arms.

"No, it's legitimately just a college. Not secret, just not open to the public. Yet." Mohamara carefully left out that it wouldn't be for many thousands of years. "And not my fault that he wasn't invited."

"I figured. Given how easily he talks about things like that in front of strangers, he's probably not the best secret keeper."

Farengar returned with a sizable stack of books. "I found plenty of spares in my library! And for a college-educated mage like yourself, these tomes should prove invaluable, but also quick to pick up. Though, be informed that they're mostly Illusion and Alteration-based." Farengar seemed to have no problem carrying around what easily could have been fifty pounds of books, as they caused the long table he set them on to creak ominously.

"Ria, would you mind?" Mohamara pointed at the stack of books, and the Companion carried him over to them. "You're sure I can have these, Farengar?"

The wizard waved his hands magnanimously. "I give them freely, as thank you for what you shared with me."

"Alright, just wanted to be sure." Mohamara tuned out the physical world and dove into the sympathetic bonds of the books. Words on pages bound in containers acted as the shell for containing the true treasures within Ideas, knowledge, memory. The Mystic Khajiit bound a sympathetic bond from these things to his own mind and let the contents drain from one container to another.

On the outside, it looked like the cat's eyes went white, and one by one the books disassembled into cords of white light that Mohamara devoured like spaghetti noodles. When he came back to the physical world he saw Ria, Farengar, Balgruuf, and Irileth looking at him. Their expressions were confused, horrified, bewildered and annoyed respectively.

"What? Do I have something stuck in my teeth or something?"

--

Mysticism was a school that wasn't easy to comprehend from the start. Contradiction, inference, and symbolism were the key concepts that had to be learned, not how wiggle fingers plus magic word equaled fireball.

The books ceased to exist because Mohamara had learned the knowledge out of them. They vanished because they'd served their purpose. Books couldn't have physical matter because it wasn't the books themselves that mattered: only their contents. They never mattered, so they couldn't have matter, or they would matter.

It's why the best way to teach was through codex entries, which could be shifted between codexes with a network connection and stored on less powerful devices--such as grimoires, slates, and micro-slates. All the function of a book--to store knowledge--but reusable and without silly notions about how they mattered when they didn't.

Farengar did not take well to Mohamara's lecture on the subject, still mourning the loss of the books. Ria asked the tojay how they had tasted as they walked back to Jorrvaskr with Balgruuf's letter.

"I didn't really eat them, that was your eyes trying to make sense of what I was doing," Mohamara started but then realized it would only confuse her more. "Um. I guess they sorta tasted like that food you eat that ends with you being hungry a half-hour later?"

"Oh, crackers." Ria waved to a group of young girls who recognized her as a Companion, then started up the stairs to Jorrvaskr.

"Since I'm not at risk of stealing from the Jarl anymore, can you let me down?"

The Imperial woman squeezed Mohamara tighter and rubbed her cheek on the top of his head. "No. You still might steal from the Companions."

"I don't even know how to steal things…."

Inside Jorrvaskr there was a meeting going on at the feasting table. Yagraz and Aela were discussing something that revealed itself to be an attack on Northwatch Keep as Ria drew closer. "Hey, short-stuff." Yagraz had a tankard of some alcoholic drink in her hand as she greeted the returning Companion and cat. "Me and Aela were just talking about how we're going to go kick the living annihilation shit out of the Thalmor once lunch is done. You want details?"

Mohamara blinked a bit. "Wait… you're going to do that now?"

"Of course we're doing that now, Thorald might end up getting his nails painted some shade of pink if we wait too long."

Meanwhile, in the dungeon of an icy castle on the northern coast of Haafingar, a Nord man chained to a wall watched a High Elf in a hooded jacket examine small jars on a table. Despite his rugged appearance and prominent beard, the Nord's face was expertly done up with the finest makeup money could buy.

"Testing beauty products on Talos worshippers has been my most profitable idea yet," the Thalmor torturer commented with cheer.

Mohamara sighed and rubbed his hand into his forehead. "I… can't go to Haafingar so quick, Yagraz. I gotta go to Eastmarch right away."

The Orc woman scoffed and took a drink of her alcoholic beverage. "Yeah, I know. Wasn't planning on taking you up to Northwatch. Sorry short-stuff, but it's… well, a task for the Companions." She tried to look cool, to play off the unavoidable diss to her friend.

Said friend began to visibly droop in his ears, tail, and whiskers before he shook the reaction out. 'You've occupied enough of her time,' he told himself. 'Let her have an adventure without having to babysit you.'

"Okay, right. Ria, I'm going to go hug my best friend goodbye, you can either let me go on your own or I get myself free." The tojay looked up at Ria with steel in his eyes and found himself set on the ground. Quickly, Mohamara made his way around the feast table to hug the massive Orc woman, who was able to crush him into her side with one arm. "Don't die."

"Wasn't planning on it, short-stuff. If you want to talk, you can always call me."

Mohamara had forgotten that Yagraz had her micro-slate with her, and nodded before breaking the hug and leaving Jorrvaskr. He hadn't planned on leaving after only one day in Whiterun but realized that if he stayed too long, he'd put off doing his Lady's work to stay with Yagraz.

Meridia could possibly forgive him being afraid of Sheogorath. She definitely wouldn't forgive shirking his duties because of comfort.

With that in mind, Mohamara quickly made his way to Breezehome and packed his backpack full of essentials for the trip. Eastmarch was big and unlikely to be amicable to his searching. Mostly he packed his usual clothes, swapped out some clothes, and made sure his slate was cushioned on every side.

Then, with the Spear of Bitter Mercy, the cat departed Breezehome with the intent to start on the road straight away. Instead, he walked face-first into an armored waistline. There stood Kodlak Whitemane, with a backpack of his own and holding a combat-ready skyforge steel warhammer like a walking stick. "Yagraz goes north to destroy an evil, but told me that you go east to do a great service for the people," the elder said while the Khajiit rubbed his nose and picked himself up off the ground. "My sickness keeps me from going into glorious battle, but I am not so infirm that I cannot travel the land--if you would have a Companion with you."

"... Sure?" Mohamara shrugged. "You only made a racist remark toward me once, more than can be said of the rest of them."

"Then let us be off."

--

The road to Eastmarch took the two unlikely adventurers across the outer edge of Whiterun Hold. Roads through the center would not be paved for hundreds of years at the earliest, simply from the danger presented. On the road, there were plenty of sights to see, such as bandits foolishly trying to fight a giant, a battle between the navy-blue armored Stormcloaks and Imperial Legions out on the plains, and a jester in need of help on the road.

Of the three, Kodlak and Mohamara only stopped to help the jester. The Imperial clown was so outrageously happy when the two agreed to help him fix his damaged wagon wheel, he danced throughout the repairs. Kodlak's physical strength was sufficient to hold the cart up despite the boxed up sarcophagus inside while Mohamara used his newly absorbed apprentice-level knowledge of Alteration to repair the damaged axle and wheel.

The jester, Cicero, paid them handsomely for their trouble and even offered Mohamara tips on being a Fool. "Learn to laugh even when you wish to cry, Cicero says. Then you can laugh whenever you want to, or... need to. People get so deliciously flustered when you can laugh at anything they do." The jester's penchant for speaking in the third person in no way diminished his advice.

Kodlak didn't like Cicero at all but seemed unable or unwilling to articulate why.

"We are suitably far away from others," Kodlak observed as they passed a pair of ruined towers where bandits had set up a false toll. The Harbinger had merely given their sole guard a stern look and he backed down rather than demand money of either man or Khajiit. "Yagraz tells me you have… difficulties, young one."

Mohamara immediately put some distance between him and the almost-blind Nord on the road and flicked his ears back. "Did she now?"

"Do not be afraid. I am but one man, and I am old. If you no longer wish for my company, you can simply run away and avoid this conversation."

"At least until Yagraz tries to have it with me when I get back to Whiterun." The road started to crest, then curve downward. They were in Eastmarch at last, so Mohamara began to feel out where the beacon was. The bond was still arching high and away, so they weren't close at all.

"You cannot hide from a true friend's concern for your wellbeing. I learned that long ago." Kodlak did not change his course, but the road narrowed as it curved downward so Mohamara had to close the distance between them. "Yagraz tells me you have no hope for your future?"

"Yeah, why do you care?"

"As an old man, I am legally obligated to try and help young people who are trapped in existential despair," Kodlak spoke like he was revealing state secrets. "Once your hair turns grey they kidnap you and make you swear on this big book of standard elderly person roles."

"Ha." Mohamara sighed and kept his eyes on the steep slope to his left that he could slip off if he didn't pay attention. "There's only like… so many times you can hope that what you're doing will pay off, then get told you were stupid to even try."

"Yes, I have seen such things happen. To my regret, I have even delivered such sentiments in my youth. Who told you these things?"

"Secondary school career counselor. The guy they send you to in the big cities to find a job. Like a bunch of kids, I got told that the job I wanted would be a waste of time because I'd never actually get the job." Mohamara sighed and kicked a rock down the steepening hill that the road ran along. "So, took a different job. One I had to go to college for, get into debt, and find out that the job I'm doing isn't going to exist in ten years time."

"Printing press?"

"Something like that, yeah. And now I have a Daedra hounding my every move, looking for an opportunity to make my life miserable for amusement. So… what's the point?"

"Point?"

Mohamara put his hands behind his head as he walked. "No matter what I do, there isn't any outcome that leads me to happiness. The best I can do is vicariously live out other people's happiness by helping them. So why would I bother having hope for my own future?"

"Because without hope, nothing can change." Kodlak stopped and leaned on his warhammer/walking stick to look down at Mohamara. "Despair consumes you now, but it will not always. If you can keep moving forward, little by little, day by day, things will improve."

"There's no guarantee of that. Sometimes you get knocked down and you stay down."

"Like me?" Kodlak spread his free arm wide. "I have the rot. Every breath is harder than the last, but still--here I am. Walking with you, seeing this beautiful country with you, and hoping that perhaps I can help you help yourself out of despair." The two resumed their trek. An Argonian in light armor with a brandished blade came rushing at them from the trees, but Kodlak casually slapped her off the road and down the sheer drop past it. "What of your Lady? Yagraz has told me that you serve the Daedra of Life, and you will find no censure in me. But what of her? Does she offer recourse to you?"

"Of course she does." Mohamara made a note to talk with Yagraz about sharing personal information like that. "The Blue Room--Where Despair is Cured."

"Would you tell me about it, lad?"

Mohamara told Kodlak about one of Meridia's Colored Rooms--Where Despair is Cured, known informally as the Blue Room. It was a part of Meridia's dominion where mortals who died despairing--by their own hands or not, were gathered and tended to by her most benevolent lesser Daedra. The servants of the Lady would work ceaselessly to cure the departed of their despair, and then move them to a more permanent afterlife in Meridia's Rooms.

The Blue Room was described as deep as the sea, with Meridia's light floating high above while the Daedra in her service convinced mortals to swim upward. Deep below the Blue room was the Indigo Room, Meridia's prison, and above it was the Cyan Room, where guests to the Rooms would mingle.

While Mohamara explained this to the Harbinger, the Argonian highwaywoman tried three times more to rob them, each time she grew progressively more beat up from being thrown down the cliff. After the third time, they passed her stuck in a tree upside-down.

"It is good that your Daedra sees to the needs of her faithful," Kodlak said with genuine respect. "So little is known about Meridia, I didn't even know she accepted mortals to her realm of Oblivion after they died."

"Well--now you know." Mohamara shrugged. "Not like it changes much."

"It changes everything." The Nord looked down to the Khajiit. "Despair is a disease so virulent that even a Daedra must cleanse it from her followers. You create so much work for her and her minions by this path--and think how she must feel. You say that she loves you, a deep, personal love like the priests of Mara feel? Well then she must wish for you to be happy, does she not?"

Mohamara considered the question. Meridia loved her faithful, but mostly left them to live their lives on their own--she assured guidance when asked for and protection. But things like success, wealth, and meaningful relationships were the domains of other gods and Daedra. "I would guess so, but she has no way of making us happy." The cat stopped to consider the question and unintentionally foiled the Argonian highwaywoman's attempt to leap at him. She had lept from the trees, but planned her jump around Mohamara continuing to move forward--so she landed far ahead and was casually smacked off into the bushes by Kodlak. "So.. even though worshipping her and everything makes me happier, and she probably likes that, it's still on me to make the rest of my life good. Which I can't."

"Why can't you?"

Mohamara sighed and started to walk again as the highwaywoman came charging at him, causing her to stumble on the base of his spear and go careening into the side of the hill. "My… father, basically. He just shows up in my life, makes demands, makes threats, then leaves. No idea when it will happen, can't plan around it."

"Surely it cannot be as--" Kodlak was stopped by the sudden appearance of a party noise-maker in his mouth, which he blew from trying to speak. There was a conical party hat on his head, and on Mohamara's as music began to play from nowhere and everywhere, and colorful confetti rained down on the two of them. Behind them, the highwaywoman stumbled back onto the road and realized she was dressed like a clown. This caused her to throw her blade away and go storming off.

A letter tied to a balloon drifted in front of Mohamara's viscerally annoyed expression and opened on its own.

'Dear Son,

Just wanted to let you know how happy I am to be considered the principal antagonistic force in your life and not the literal hundreds of things that could kill you at any moment on a random day. Or the people actively looking for you to torture you. Or the racist people who would be indifferent to your suffering if you asked for help. It means a lot that you consider me so much worse than any of them.

Love you lots.

--Pa.'

Mohamara scowled and sent the balloon drifting up to Kodlak to read as the Nord rid himself of confetti, the hat, and the noise maker. After reading, the Harbinger sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I don't suppose your Daedra offers some protection from things like… this?"

"Yep."

The Nord nodded, resolute and popped the balloon between his hands. "Then we must do your work for her right away, and put an end to this nonsense. It will do more for your health and happiness than any words I can string together if this is what you're dealing with."

--

Relatively nearby, in a walled city built on the shores of a lake, there was a peculiar sight to see. A bizarrely dressed Khajiit, wearing one half of a ludicrously colored purple and orange suit on one arm, leg, and half his chest while the other side was bare save for threadbare brown trousers. One half of the Khajiit's fur was well tended to, slick, shiny, and perfumed while the other was wild, mange-ridden and almost starving. The same duality applied to the creature's eyes, for one was slitted and almost predatory in its focus, while the other was wide and showed a bit of color deep within the iris.

As the strange Khajiit passed by people, they turned to stare at the odd man--surely such a loon would be best found in the Ratway, where all the town crazies lived? Then why was he out in the city with the normal people?

"Hold," a purple-armored guard of the city stepped in front of the cat's path. "What business does a cat like you have in Riften?"

The Khajiit man grinned, one-half of his teeth the picture of perfect dental hygiene while the other was sufficient to give dentists nightmares. "Oh, nothing all that remarkable." As the cat spoke, he reached up and squeezed the guard's nose twice, producing an unnatural honking noise. "Just talking to some candidates is all."

The guard became completely disinterested with the Khajiit who continued on into the city and became fixated on his nose. Every time he squeezed it, the same unnatural honking noise occurred. He ran for help from other guards but found they only laughed at his situation.

"Ooh, maybe I should pick up some cheese too. Or some of those special drinks that the Argonians here make. Pelly would love those!" The Khajiit leaned conspiratorially over to the side and whispered something to people who weren't there. "Don't none of you go telling my boy that I'm doing this. Not my fault his mother needs him to put her phone on the charger for her."

He considered that for a moment, then spoke with the other side of his mouth. "Well it sorta is, but he's not going to find that out, and neither is my little woman." He opened a pocket on his almost well-dressed side and dropped a block of cheese in to feed the tiny Imperial woman he kept in there. "And neither is my wife."

---
You might be wondering why Sheogorath keeps a little woman in his pocket. It's because he enjoys wordplay too much.

Mysticism is one of the most obtuse schools of magic, and a lot of the teaching involved in learning Mysticism directly undermines what one assumes about reality to be true. I was worried you guys wouldn't get that if all I had Mohamara do with Mysticism was easily understood things like following connections with people, opening locks, and speaking languages. So a bit of the more esoteric side was added.

Nah that made perfect sense.

Books don't matter and matter less and less today. The information in books matter. And the abstract levels of thought needed to peel back the veil probably cause the synonymous destruction of the book.

I can really see how mysticism is related to CHIM and sheogorath.
The insanity he embodies lends itself to mysticism a sorta proto source code awareness.

Reality is after all an illusion sorta like the matrix.

Honestly the only problem is that you seem to be missing that all schools of magic are like mysticism to a greater and lesser extent when he casts other magic. Like alteration deal with similar self delusion.

Also when Sheogorath writes that letter you almost think he has a point Moha is being a little harsh. Then you realize most of those things are happening because Sheo punted him back in time.

So I was right, his mother is Meridia? Neat.

I like what you did with mysticism, and Kodlak, and Ria who is adorable.

Chapter 17
Who else got lucky, found the water breathing enchantment earliy and grinded enchantment levels by making rings of it? Just me? Okay.
---
Chapter 17: The Winter War

After a while in Eastmarch, Mohamara pinned down where the sympathetic bond to the beacon was pulling, far to the northeast, almost in Winterhold, and by the water. When he told Kodlak this, the Companion responded that the best way to get there would be to go towards Windhelm first. So at the fork in the road where abandoned Fort Amol stood watch over they went the northerly direction.

"We must be careful on this road," Kodlak informed the cat. "Or, at least I must be so. Gallows Rock is not far from this road, and the Silver Hand garrison it." He looked down at the tojay with an arched brow. "Tell me, can you use that spear?"

"Not very well," Mohamara admitted with a shrug. "I mean, I can use it to fish easily because it's so long and pronged, but it's magic too."

"I don't suppose Yagraz knows how to wield a spear--she has been a gap-closer as long as I've known her. Would you mind if we took a break and I show you how to use it in a fight?" The two of them stepped aside from the road so Kodlak could demonstrate how to hold the spear--though he said it would be more like holding a pike for someone Mohamara's size. "Relying on any one strategy, magic or metal, is never a wise proposition. I've tried to teach this to the youngsters, but they have not faced the frustration of being useless in a fight enough to warrant practice."

"I imagine just healing up other people who are fighting would fall into that category too?" Mohamara tried to practice the stabbing motions Kodlak had demonstrated, but with alarmingly less force behind them.

"Indeed. It would only serve to make you a target for archers, or combat mages." However, it prompted Kodlak to rub his bearded chin in consideration. "Hmm, archery might be a good fit for you. Shortbows, clearly, or perhaps crossbows. Yes, a crossbow might just be the ticket."

Mohamara paused in practicing to squint up at the Nord. "Are you trying to rope me into being a Companion?"

"Heh, the Companions do not 'rope' people into joining, lad." Kodlak smiled down at Mohamara, seeming almost… jolly? "But when Yagraz brought you into our hall, she was as bright and energetic as the first day she crossed our threshold. For years, she had been languishing, but no longer. It makes me believe that her friendship with you partly inspired her to be as great a warrior--as great a woman as she is today. And, if you wish it, perhaps the Companions could do the same for you."

"... You do know I technically work for Jarl Elisif of Solitude, right? As a Fool? The jump around, make an ass out of myself to get people to laugh sorta thing, yeah?"

"Lad, I've seen all sorts take up the crest of Wuuthrad. All your employment as a Fool does is lead me to believe you're an honest man. How peculiar a notion, to think a Khajiit an honest man, hmm."

Mohamara sighed and started walking back to the road. "If I agree to give it a shot, will you lay off the casual racism?"

"I can only promise to try."

--

"You know, as much as my doctor would probably enjoy how much walking I've been doing, I can't help but wish the flying broom was invented by now." Mohamara let his feet soak in the hot spring waters Kodlak had directed them to. There had been nowhere suitable on the side of the river they had started on to make camp, so Kodlak had directed the cat to cross and find a spot.

"Then perhaps you should be the one to invent it?" Kodlak was in a different hot spring pool, separated by rocks and a tree for the sake of privacy. According to him, an ancient battle with between Tongues and dragons had left the center of Eastmarch volcanically active, supporting hundreds of small hot springs dotted around the land.

"Oh no, no, no. See, the gal who does invent the broom is an Orc. And Malacath gets mean when you steal the achievements of Orcs, so I'd rather not." Mohamara emphatically shook his head even though the Companion couldn't see. Yagraz had told him stories of the vengeance Malacath would craft on people who stole the achievements of the Orcs, the ramifications of which were allegedly visible from Nirn orbit in some cases.

"But it isn't her achievement yet, she might not even be born."

"You think Malacath cares? He knows that I know that it's an Orc achievement, so it's fair game. I could maybe sneak by with a flying carpet, but that's pushing luck I don't have." Mohamara glanced across the river when a bird flew by and momentarily considered snatching it out of the air when he saw people in Hold guard armor colored deep blue with shields featuring a bear design walking down the road. "I'm guessing those are Eastmarch guards?"

"My eyes are not so good for seeing great distances at sunset anymore, can you describe them for me?" Kodlak 'hmmed' to himself for a moment as Mohamara described them. "That sounds like a Hold guard, but we're in Eastmarch. They could potentially be Stormcloaks, I haven't seen a Stormcloak and a Windhelm guard next to each other to know the difference."

"Imma go ask them." Mohamara stood up and trotted off toward the river with bounding steps.

"Wait, what? No!" Kodlak's less than stellar vision did not allow him to see all of Mohamara's journey. The old Nord lost track of the cat as he began to jump between rocks to cross the White River. The Harbinger's mind ran through likely possible outcomes of the Khajiit's rashness. Ulfric's boys weren't usually as xenophobic as their Jarl, so violence might be avoided. But in all likelihood, they would assume the cat had stolen up to try and rob them.

A good learning experience, Kodlak decided as he rose from the hot spring intending to dry off then don his armor and see to the younger man's rescue.

However, Mohamara returned moments later without any signs of battle on his person. His fur, however, was a mess. "So, it turns out those were just Windhelm city guards on their way to investigate bandits trying to occupy that fort we passed. And the way to tell Stormcloaks from Windhelm guards is that Stormcloaks all use a lighter shade of blue than Windhelm." The cat shrugged while Kodlak looked on in surprise.

"They gave you no problems?"

"Well they wanted to, but the lady in charge punched the one guy who thought I was a thief. Then she started petting me because apparently, I reminded her of her cat growing up." The Khajiit stuck his tongue out and sat back down to rest his feet in the hot spring. "Being short and cute has advantages, sometimes."

"I… see." Kodlak returned to the hot spring himself. Since no rescue was needed, he could spend a bit more time in the medicinally hot water before setting down for the night. "You had to know that was really risky."

"Everything in this country is risky Literally everything. A slaughterfish could suddenly appear in this water and eat my feet off. And no, you demented excuse for a Daedra, that wasn't an invitation!"

Kodlak chuckled to himself and relaxed. "Enjoy the warmth while you can. As we get closer to the goal you've put to us, this will be but a distant memory."

--

The Nord's words proved true almost as soon as they went north of Kynesgrove. The green scenery was rapidly replaced with white and the volcanic heat with sub-arctic cold. Mohamara donned many layers of clothes and still found the cold chilling him to his bones.

After one day of that, Mohamara decided that enough was enough and took out the biggest soul gem in his small stockpile--a common sized one that held the soul of a Frost Troll. Kodlak watched in wonderment as Mohamara spun the gem into a crystalline thread and wove it into his jacket. When finished, the Nordic knots weren't nearly as dense as what the ring of regeneration or his own Red Shoes sported, but the enchantment was as strong as a common soul could produce. The windbreaker was enchanted with a warming effect that would make it as effective as a heavily padded winter coat at providing warmth, and be too warm for ice to form on.

Without prompting, Mohamara used a lesser soul gem to do the same to a fur cloak Kodlak had to keep his head warm.

With his ears and nose pleasantly warm despite the frigid cold that blew from the north, Kodlak began to rethink his people's stance on magic--on enchantment, at least.

Windhelm was visible in the distance after the third day's march, and Kodlak strongly advised Mohamara against getting any closer to the city. Even when the Khajiit mentioned that he knew of a caravan that was likely to be outside, Kodlak still advised against it. "You are a servant of Elisif. I expect Ulfric's lieutenants to know that much. The slaughter at Morthal is still fresh in the Stormcloak's minds if a servant of their enemy were to show up on their doorstep they could easily take it as Elisif herself taunting them for their defeat."

Mohamara imagined Elisif laughing like an evil noblewoman in an Akaviri scrying orb drama while the mysterious 'Ulfric' wept over fallen soldiers. And with Balgruuf's letter to Elisif on his person, it had the chance to be a public relations disaster.

"Why can't these Jarls just sort their problems out like civilized people instead of dragging thousands of stupid young folks into fighting?" Mohamara tried not to look toward Windhelm, afraid that his resolve would shake if he saw familiar-looking tents, wagons, and cat-people on the horizon.

"Vignar, Skjor and I have had that talk many a night when the ale flows like water. But then, the topic of what constituted civilized becomes muddy the more you think about it."

They kept walking until they came to an obstacle: the Sea of Ghosts. Mohamara's grip on the sympathetic bond to Meridia's beacon led straight out from the shore northward, out onto the water.

"It appears our way forward isn't possible without a boat," Kodlak commented. "Or that your lost item is at the bottom of the Sea, beyond our reach."

The Khajiit didn't comment, instead, he focused on the bond they'd followed thus far. It pulled northward, and… faintly downward. When he tried to follow the bond, he only saw darkness on the other end. Either it was in a box, or it was so deep in the Sea that light didn't reach down. There was really only one thing to do, and thankfully he had plenty of petty soul gems for the task.

"What are you doing, lad?" Kodlak looked over to the Khajiit spinning multiple petty soul gems into a thread and laying out a colorful bit of cloth from his backpack.

"I'm going to make me an item enchanted with water breathing so I can go looking for the beacon if it is down in the water." Right away, Mohamara began to arrange the soul-gem threads into cloth, making small patches of densely packed Nordic knots. "Sub-arctic configuration, reduced friction through the water, enhanced gripping, noise reduction…."

"You are able to do all of that? I thought an item could only be enchanted once?"

"Maybe for weaklings who don't know how to overlay an enchantment without crossing the arrays, or if they're doing that thing where you just shove the soul into the item and let the morpholith crumble. But I'm a student of Jorrvaskr, we hold ourselves to a higher standard."

The cat didn't see it, but Kodlak faintly smiled at Mohamara's words and sat down next to the cat to watch him work. To the Nord, it seemed like magical knitting.

Mohamara shook the cloth item and let the interlocked petty arrays cool down. "This is going to be unpleasant but assuming I don't run into a whale I should be good. Unless a whale ate it, in which case--poopie."

--

For any fish that saw him, Mohamara must have been a strange sight moving through the Sea of Ghosts--a small Khajiit in a swimsuit and jacket armed with an excessively long spear, all underwater.

By far, the otters were the best part of searching the Sea in Mohamara's view. They seemed to enjoy the new creature in the water that had no wish to eat them, and one who often moved rocks on the seabed which revealed clams. And of course, the slaughterfish were the worst part, blindly chasing after Mohamara when he entered their field of view. The Spear of Bitter Mercy made short work of them--and the kill would distract other nearby slaughterfish. But just as often he'd be surprised by a slaughterfish suddenly biting down on his tail or limbs. He lost two fingers, a toe, and the tip of his tail that way.

However, the slaughterfish weren't the most terrifying part of the Sea of Ghosts. That belonged to the whales. Start with the general shape of a fish, replace the scales with a rubbery skin of white and black, make the smallest ones the size of a Nord and the biggest the size of a ship, and then make them intelligent pack hunters.

When Mohamara first encountered one, it was just floating in the water behind him when he finished examining a boating wreck. After he saw it, he started to hear chirps in the water and saw dark shapes moving in the distance. The whale opened its mouth, showing off spear-like teeth and a mouth so large Mohamara could curl up inside, and moved like… it was laughing at him. As he moved to go back into the wreck, it surged forward and began to easily push the cat around with its huge nose.

A second, smaller, whale passed by and caught Mohamara's tail in its jaws. The cat went stiff, to prepare for the inevitable biting, but it never came. Instead, the whale ran its jaw up and down the Khajiit's tail like it was flossing with it.

Mohamara found himself passed between multiple sub-adult whales, tossed between them like a fuzzy underwater ball by their huge flukes. The small whale that had flossed its teeth with his tail bit the Spear of Bitter Mercy just under the point and yanked it free of Mohamara's grip and swam away.

While being tossed around underwater, Mohamara focused some magic into a spell--Tongues. Once it completed, he could hear the clicks become ideas become information which his brain translated into words. The two large whales treating him as a toy found him… cute. One of them called to their mother, to ask if they could keep him as a pet.

A massive whale, easily the size of the Nordic wrecks that lined the seabed glided out of the dark with such grace Mohamara almost believed that it was the light that moved, not her. She told them to stop playing with their food and to eat the Khajiit before their grandmother grew annoyed.

'Not food!' Mohamara called out to them, speaking words that Tongues converted into information, and then ideas, and then clicks for the whales to parse. 'Not! Food!'

It amused the sub-adults that he could talk to them, and they left the cat be long enough that Mohamara was able to swim down and hide in a Nord wreck. 'Go on! Swim fast, try to get away!'

'Yeah, grandmother will want us to exercise before eating!'

Mohamara tried to ignore the words of the whales as he made his way through the wreck. In hindsight, making himself able to understand what the chirping meant had been an awful idea. The whales would sometimes brush the hull of the ship, causing the whole wreck to shift from their weight, and taunted Mohamara that they could just get at him by smashing in if they wanted.

Mohamara didn't stop swimming until he was in the ship's hold, where he stopped to try and make a plan. Whales or at least the species of whales in the Skyrim side of the Sea of Ghosts acted like wolves if the natural history museum was anything to go by. Fast, would attack from multiple angles, and stronger than Mohamara even as children. Without the spear, there didn't seem a way to make it out, all attempts would end in failure.

But the alternative was to do nothing.

A strong pull on the sympathetic bond to the beacon brought Mohamara out of his despair. It was close. If he could get it free of its bonds, then perhaps his Lady could help. And even if she couldn't, it was still his duty to get the beacon somewhere that another of the faithful wouldn't need to die to get it.

With a bit of illusion magic to create a false visual indicator of the bond, Mohamara peaked out of one of the gaps in the hold to find where the beacon was. A wispy trail of white light went out to the sea floor, and into another nearby wreck--the illusion cast light enough for Mohamara to see its name: The Winter War.

The cat dispelled the illusion and began to put together a plan. In the distance, he saw the smallest whale flitting about. With only a novice degree of skill with illusion, Mohamara had limited options on targets so he charged up a projectile and launched it outward. It struck the small whale and covered it with a magenta sheen. As if driven to great fury, the whale began to swim faster and snap randomly. And soon it began to come after its own kin in rage.

Infighting was the perfect way to deal with a pack animal, Mohamara realized in hindsight as he escaped the hold. The sub-adults were busy trying to calm down their little sibling, and in the distance, enormous shadows moved through the water. Mohamara made it to the wreck of The Winter War just in time for a massive fully-grown whale to swipe near the hole in the hull where he had been.

The Winter War was a ship in twain, it had sunk and broken in half when it hit some rocks on the ocean floor. Compared to some of the other wrecks, it seemed relatively new as mudcrabs had not yet picked every scrap of organic material off the ship. Mohamara had started in the wrong half, so he had to quickly swim between the bow and stern sections of the ship, with the whales prowling around outside.

Within a chest of black iron, locked tight against mundane thieves but helpless against magical ones, Mohamara found what he'd been searching for. The beacon resembled his amulet, but far bigger. A colorless faceted crystal, roughly the size of his head, and light as a feather. When he picked it up, he'd expected… something to happen. His Lady's voice to ring out through his head, or perhaps searing pain for not arriving quick enough for her liking. But instead, he held the beacon and nothing had changed.

The Khajiit examined the beacon for damage, perhaps it was damaged in the theft. But after examining it, he developed a hypothesis. The beacon was a sort of sigil stone, a morpholith created from Oblivion matter to store tremendous volumes of energy--Meridia's energy. And Meridia's energy rained down on the world as sunlight.

Mohamara examined the distant surface of the water, and couldn't tell if he was under a section of solid ice or not. Was it even daylight up on the surface? Without the iron chest weighing it down, the beacon would be light enough to float to the surface, but in the process attract the whales' attention. By the time they finished playing with it, the beacon could end up legitimately damaged.

The beacon had to get to the surface, and there was no way Mohamara could do that without getting grabbed by a whale. However, if he did this successfully, he could at least maybe earn a place in the Violet Room--Where Lie the Martyrs.

The tojay steeled himself, and swam free of the wreck, going upward as fast as he could.

But no matter how fast he could swim, he was never going to go faster than a whale in the water. One of the sub-adults from earlier slammed into him, in the chest dead center, and kept on swimming. With a flick of the whale's head, Mohamara was released from the t-bone attack sent flying upward as he was swatted by the whale's tale.

Sure enough, there was a layer of ice on the surface when Mohamara got close. The dappled light that came through the ice got dim lights from the beacon's center to emerge, but nothing substantial. The tojay looked down to see a whale swimming at him with speed, its mouth of spear-like teeth open wide, and resigned himself to death then and there.

When the whale hit him, it broke the ice behind him and sent the cat flying through the air with many shattered ribs and a partially broken back. The beacon flew free of Mohamara's grip and caught a ray of sunlight through the clouds. While the cat landed back in the water, unconscious, the beacon hung in the air. The inner light at its center grew rapidly until the faceted orb was radiating golden light like a star on its own.

A narrow beam of white-gold light burst from the beacon and pierced the ice below. Underwater, as one of the sub-adults, was about to bite into the unconscious Khajiit, the beam struck the creature. Its flesh burned away in seconds, leaving a pearly white skeleton that went to pieces without connective tissues. The beam cut through the ice and water like a cutting tool and struck every whale in the pod that had made Mohamara their prey. When it faded away, over fifty skeletons of various sizes began to settle on the seafloor.

The beacon cast down a wider beam of soft gold light that searched through the water and stopped on Mohamara, and by some unknown magic drew him out of the water up to the faceted orb. Unconscious and severely injured, the Khajiit automatically reached out and held the beacon close to his torso.

While he held on, the beacon examined him and found things that did not correlate to its trans-temporal records. Severe damage to the subject's rib cage and spine--both in the form of a broken spinal column and missing vertebrae; damaged or missing digits on three out of four extremities; unaccounted for scar tissue throughout, and more importantly being sixteen thousand years out of Dragon alignment.

The beacon's programming deduced that this level of deviation was beyond its ability to repair and so pinged across the liminal barrier to its inscriber for a service request.

In the Red Room--Where War is Made, a Daedric Lord of Meridia saw this ping request, checked the details and promptly spat his creatia coffee onto his secretary in surprise and fear. Hastily, he moved the request up to his supervisor and began to pray. This proved indicative of how things went for many levels of Daedric bureaucracy up until it had to transfer out to the Yellow Room--Where Monarchs Dwell.

In a crystalline palace of immortal beauty, suspended on clouds the color of butter, there was a grand office. At the center of the office was the throne where She of Infinite Energies would administer her Rooms, were She present. But near the entrance was a smaller desk where the Lady's Chamberlain saw to the Realm's needs while Meridia was away. He sat in front of a grimoire device, typing rapidly to keep up with the transfinite amount of work that needed to be done.

However, when a service request from a temporarily inactive beacon was forwarded to him, he paused this work. Had someone dared waste the Lady's time with a service request? They would need to be taught proper respect later. But still, it had to be dealt with. Ah, a Champion-candidate, perhaps respect was not needed to be taught, just confidence.

The chamberlain examined the details of the request and carefully removed his glasses to pinch the bridge of his nose. With one hand, he willed a micro-slate into existence and dialed the out-of-Realm line. "Hello. Yes, I'll accept the charges. Please connect me to the Shivering Isles."

After an unreasonable amount of time on hold, the line was connected and the chamberlain braced himself for his Lady's fury.

"Speak." The deceptively calm voice of Meridia came from the micro-slate, and thunder sounded somewhere distant in the Yellow Room.

"My Lady, we have located your stolen property." The former Archmagus Shalidor put his glasses back on as he focused on the service request again. "Fourth Era, Skyrim, directly on top of the regional beacon. And rather… extensively damaged. What is your will?"

"Prepare my way to the beacon. I am going to sort this out myself." The line went dead, and Shalidor found himself almost pitying the Mad God for what was about to happen.

Almost.
---

Hello everyone, this is your captain speaking. Brace for impact.

Last edited:
Oh no, he lost the Spear! I was looking forward to a larger panoply of fun atronarchs.

A narrow beam of white-gold light burst from the beacon and pierced the ice below. Underwater, as one of the sub-adults, was about to bite into the unconscious Khajiit, the beam struck the creature. Its flesh burned away in seconds, leaving a pearly white skeleton that went to pieces without connective tissues. The beam cut through the ice and water like a cutting tool and struck every whale in the pod that had made Mohamara their prey. When it faded away, over fifty skeletons of various sizes began to settle on the seafloor.

Wow, Meridia doesn't fuck around.

"Speak." The deceptively calm voice of Meridia came from the micro-slate, and thunder sounded somewhere distant in the Yellow Room.

WOW, MERIDIA DOESN'T FUCK AROUND.

"Prepare my way to the beacon. I am going to sort this out myself." The line went dead, and Shalidor found himself almost pitying the Mad God for what was about to happen.

W O W, M-

Scuba cat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwd6LUCGVCs
how DOES he feel about swimming in non life threatening conditions?
how would he swim anyway?
any particular styles?
does his tail help in any way?

Also, does a water breathing enchantment have a time limit?

if not, i'm imagining that wearing it even after this would probably be useful....

Back