Shards of a Broken Sun [Megaten/Shugo Chara/Exalted]

I guess at least one element of going 'to far' would be defined by things like no torture, killing, etc. As in, people will want to be able to hold to their moral standards. Though I kind of suspect Akane would just read such a thing from Amu's mind anyway.

As for risks willing to be taken, that is a lot harder to say... as you note yourself they're rather all over the place.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? What is a reasonable standard?

[X][Scavengers] Curious
[X][Amu] Get to know your classmates
[X][Amu] Spend time with Ran, Miki and Su
[X][Amu] Invite Kana to your birthday
[X][Amu] Catch up with old friends

Given Baughn's comments, I think I'm okay with inviting Kana to Amu's birthday party, and catching up with this Lulu girl seems like another good source of background psionics knowledge.

Last edited:
Let's see how this is going...

Adhoc vote count started by Baughn on Oct 28, 2023 at 5:47 PM, finished with 36 posts and 12 votes.

The vote counter doesn't do great with votes like these, but given nobody went for less than the maximum number of choices, I think we can just take the top... four, looks like. In combination with 'Curious' currently winning?

Kana is getting her wish, and while Naomi definitely didn't wish for this, she'll be a lot happier with Kana's choices given that they seem to be working out. Especially with Amu actively looking for ways to help—even if she'd never want to help with one of their attacks, knowing that she knows about that, and is still trying to be helpful... it'll help her stock.

All of that is fairly predictable, I suppose.

= = =

One thing you should think about. If we're doing this, and also contacting Lulu?

What do you want to tell her?

Last edited:
Ah right, you can do the invitation with out any time impact, I'd forgotten that.

[X][Scavengers] Write-in Helpful, There's no choice but to try to get along, is there? Still not all of this sits well with you and you probably can't really keep major secrets about her. She'll probably figure out the various people you know even if you don't say anything about it, and truthfully the problems Akane has bother you. Cautiously ask around if anything can help with their situation and that you might know a few people who could help a bit for certain matters, so long as it doesn't go to far.

* to far being that there are limits on how much help effectively can be given, not everyone has as much time they're willing to give, might not care as much, might be endangered by it. And in general many will have some moral limitations in what ways they are actually willing to improve things.

[X][Amu] Hang out with Utau, and maybe Kukai if he'll come along?
[X][Scavengers] Investigatory
And now for a write in.

[X][Amu] Spend some time checking in on people you purified/healed from X-Egged/X-Charaed/Mystery-Transformed status before. Pay specific attention and spend significant effort on those that developed psionic abilities it seems like they might have kept.
As two examples
- [X] The wizard kid. (Takuya Nakagura. Chara: Zero) Someone like that is unlikely to have let their awareness of psionics lapse, and has a dream that will draw attention, both good and ill.
- [X] Saaya, your old 'rival'. She's an alarming high frequency target of psionic nonsense normally, a quick check if this latest 'issue' touched her life to round out the books.

This write in is both to get a general feel for how the 'average' psionic has developed since we last saw them, and to check if any have been taken by these nebulous 'scientists' that have led to the Scavengers.

Last edited:

[X][Scavengers] Write-in Helpful, There's no choice but to try to get along, is there? Still not all of this sits well with you and you probably can't really keep major secrets about her. She'll probably figure out the various people you know even if you don't say anything about it, and truthfully the problems Akane has bother you. Cautiously ask around if anything can help with their situation and that you might know a few people who could help a bit for certain matters, so long as it doesn't go to far.

I like the write-in

[X][Amu] Chat with Ami

Also if vote counting is a problem we could just vote by plan.

[X][Amu] Hang out with Utau, and maybe Kukai if he'll come along?
[X][Scavengers] Curious

Also if vote counting is a problem we could just vote by plan.
It's not really a problem. Might have been, if people split Amu's attention less than three ways, but right now it's doing fine.

And with that said, let's put a deadline on it.

Right now I'm sitting in a cafe, waiting for the ABS fumes to evacuate from my living room… And the Persona 4 opening theme is playing. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Baughn on Oct 27, 2023 at 10:27 PM, finished with 44 posts and 14 votes.

Hence,

[X][Scavengers] Helpful. There's no choice but to try to get along, is there? Still not all of this sits well with you and you probably can't really keep major secrets about her. She'll probably figure out the various people you know even if you don't say anything about it, and truthfully the problems Akane has bother you. Cautiously ask around if anything can help with their situation and that you might know a few people who could help a bit for certain matters, so long as it doesn't go too far.

Last edited:
Chapter 1.3

[X][Scavengers] Write-in Helpful, There's no choice but to try to get along, is there? Still not all of this sits well with you and you probably can't really keep major secrets about her. She'll probably figure out the various people you know even if you don't say anything about it, and truthfully the problems Akane has bother you. Cautiously ask around if anything can help with their situation and that you might know a few people who could help a bit for certain matters, so long as it doesn't go too far.
September 24, 2009

She did meet Kana-chan the day right after, and they did have cake. This time Amu had hot chocolate with her cake. It was... nice. They didn't discuss any heavy subjects; nothing about Easter, nor the glimpses Amu had seen of Kana's life, just regular girl talk of the sort that… well.

Should she be honestly honest? Amu had no idea what 'regular girl talk' was like, regardless of Yaya and Rima's efforts on the matter. Neither did Kana, so what they had was Amu-and-Kana talk, which was different and less normal. It could have been awkward. They could have spent their time together stumbling, tip-toeing around the elephants in their respective rooms and in each other's heads, or at least had no idea what to say, and yet...

Kana-chan, Amu thought, was a force of nature. But a gentle one. There was no need to tip-toe, because they both could see those elephant-shaped monuments without needing to name them, and since Amu had wholly given up on hiding herself from Kana, Kana knew precisely what she shouldn't say. As did Amu, because Kana was—if not completely open...

Amu didn't need to read the depths of Kana's mind to find out where her boundaries lay.

So they spent their time chatting. Not discussing the latest fashions, because really, Kana didn't care that much—and Amu often made her own. Not discussing potential girlfriends, because-

Well. Because Kana had too much fun teasing her about Utau, was why. And, more seriously, Amu didn't want that discussion.

No, they just chatted, their minds halfway entangled with each other, and they had cake. The cliche thing would be to claim they were trying to share their entire lives, and they weren't, certainly not, but they did well at sharing their life. Kana's soul, Amu thought, was pretty. It was an effervescent, foamy feeling, but it flowed—around the elephants in Kana's room, around all the scars. Despite everything that she'd been through, Kana's soul and sense of self had stayed beautiful. Attractive? Amu didn't have the words.

Sure, it also made her scary. Anyone who could stab a man and not be traumatised by it... but Kana was Kana, and Amu liked the girl who Kana was. She liked her a lot. Like a moth to a flame, she might say in her more lucid moments. Other times she was too taken—too busy speed-running friendship—to worry. She knew she was buying trouble. She simply didn't care. It was like she'd been deaf and mute, always seeing her friends through a dirty, fogged-up window, and now for the first time she was able to talk.

That had been Kana's description, and it wasn't wrong. It didn't change anything—didn't erase her history with Kukai, didn't make Utau less of her best friend or Yaya less amusing—but it did taint her common sense and rationality. How could it not?

That second day was also the day when Amu realised she didn't have Kana's phone number, and the day they decided to fix that.

They kept meeting. They met the day after that, after school, and talked about movies, and then they went to see one. And then the day after that, Amu invited Kana to her birthday.

In a quaint little house on a perfectly ordinary street—where the sun shone just a bit too brightly, as if it, too, was aware of the occasion—preparations were well underway for Hinamori Amu's 13th birthday party. The balloons were filled with just the right amount of helium, enough to make them hover guiltily for not rising to the ceiling. Streamers hung from the walls like lazy rainbows, taking the day off from being stuffed in the attic. Even the scent of freshly baked cake wafted through the air, filling the room with sugary anticipation.

Amu stood in the centre of the living room, a whirlwind of pink and frills. She eyed the clock nervously. "Any minute now," she mumbled to herself, "any minute, the doorbell will ring, and then—"

"Are you talking to yourself again?" Yaya floated in, her voice a sing-song that only marginally irritated the birthday girl. She had a knack for turning any situation into a playground, and today was no exception.

"I have the right to be nervous," Amu argued. "I told you about Kana-"

"You told us nothing!" Yaya giggled. "Just that she's a new friend, and shy. Don't worry, Amu-chan, we won't scare her."

"Right," Amu said.

"But if you're so worried, then I guess we could ambush her. No escape! We'll pelt her with streamers until she can't run away, and then we'll—"

"Yaya."

"Oh, you're no fun." Yaya grinned, and stuck out her tongue.

Before Amu could respond with the level of sarcasm such a suggestion deserved, Rima waltzed in, her hands fiddling with—was that a clown nose?

"No," Amu groaned, her fears confirmed. "Please, no."

"You didn't think we'd forget the entertainment, did you?" Rima snickered. "This is a party. It won't do to have one without the clown. I hear the best ones are always hired, and you wouldn't want to disappoint your guests, now would you?"

"We're not paying for it," Amu hissed. "Rima, since when would you even consider-"

"Amu-chaaaaan!" Kukai, the only sane person in the Guardians, bounded in, a large package in his hands. "You're going to love this!"

"Kukai, no!"

"It's a gift!" he said, blatantly lying. Kukai was only very slightly telepathic, but he was projecting enough for anyone to pick up on it, and what he was projecting was a mix of amusement and eager schadenfreude. "For your birthday! A real gift! You have no idea how much of a hassle it was finding it, but I know you'll love it. It's-"

"Put it away," Amu demanded. She could feel an ominous aura from the box.

"It's going to be great," Kukai stated, ignoring reality. "You'll have no idea what hit you," he said, giving up on lying, "but it's going to be hilarious. Trust me."

"Kukai..." Amu glared, and then turned her glare onto the rest of the party, all of whom were doing their best to not grin. "It's not even time for the presents. Put. It. Away," she growled.

"No, really. I promise, you're going to enjoy-"

"Kukai," Utau warned, finally appearing. "No."

"I'm not-"

"We talked about this," she said.

"I didn't-"

"I spent hours making that," she said, revealing her betrayal. "If you open it early, it's going to mess up my plan, and you promised you wouldn't, didn't you?"

"Yeah, but-"

"No, no," Utau insisted, with all the weight of being a high-schooler placed among middle and grade-schoolers. "Later."

Kukai sighed, his shoulders drooping as if the weight of the world—or perhaps just the weight of Utau's glare—had suddenly been placed upon him. He looked at the package in his hands as if contemplating whether to make a last stand or to retreat gracefully. Finally, he placed it gently on a nearby table, as if it were a fragile piece of fine china.

"Fine, fine. Later it is," Kukai conceded, offering a grin that was part bravado and part resignation.

Utau nodded with a satisfied smile that was equal parts triumph and relief. "Good. Now, can we focus on the birthday girl?"

Amu was at this point oscillating between critical amusement, gratitude towards Utau and suspicion. After all, if Utau was involved in the gift's creation, how safe could it be? She decided to not voice this concern, opting instead for an expression that suggested she was graciously allowing the party to continue.

"Oh, please, let's not focus on me," Amu said, rolling her eyes so hard they almost achieved escape velocity.

Tadase chose this moment to enter, his appearance perfectly timed, as if he had been waiting for a cue. The tension between him and Utau was palpable, but both tried to behave as though the other was a friend—a strained, awkward silence hanging between them, neither wanting to break it.

"Happy birthday, Amu-chan," he said.

"Thanks," Amu replied, and smiled.

"You seem excited," he said, his voice a tad too stiff to be natural.

"Amu-chaaaaan is a little nervous about her new friend," Yaya announced, not helping.

"I mean, I..." Amu sighed. "I guess I am. Kana's... what did I tell you about her?"

"Just that she's shy and easily spooked," said Rima. "That she's had a tough time. And that you want us to be on our best behaviour."

"I don't know what I was thinking," Amu muttered.

"Don't worry," Utau said, with a reassuring pat on Amu's shoulder. "We won't scare her."

"I know, but-"

"You've just got to trust us," said Yaya, who had proposed tying her up, and—no, enough with the witticisms. Amu wasn't sure what Kana would do if someone actually spooked her. 'Shy' wasn't how Amu would describe her, but... shell-shocked maybe? No, not that either. It was just that Kana's reflexes involved knives, and Amu didn't want her depending on her reflexes.

"Yeah," Amu muttered, her voice a bit less than entirely confident.

"I'll help, if I can," Tadase offered, his face a bit too sincere.

"That would be great..."

Lighten up, Amu. She was surrounded by friends! If she couldn't trust the Guardians, who could she trust?

Amu's doubts were not eased, nor helped, nor in any way allayed by the sound—and feel—of Kana ringing the doorbell.

"I'll get it!" Amu blurted, and then dashed for the door, hoping nobody would follow.

Amu nearly tripped over the hem of her pink, frilly dress as she dashed toward the front door. She reached for the handle, her hand shaking slightly, and paused. She took a deep breath, as if the extra oxygen could somehow infuse her with the courage she needed for this particular social interaction. With a quick glance over her shoulder, she saw her friends eyeing her from the living room, a mix of curiosity, amusement, and in Yaya's case, an almost manic excitement.

"Here goes nothing," she muttered to herself, pulling the door open. 'Utau, please hold Yaya and the others back, like we-?' 'Planned' wasn't precisely accurate. She'd trust Utau to do it anyway.

She closed the door behind her.

There stood Kana, her eyes wide and her posture stiff. She wore a simple dress, and in her hands, she held a small, neatly-wrapped gift box as if it were a life preserver. Her eyes met Amu's, and for a moment, both girls just stared at each other. Finally, Kana broke the silence.

"Um, happy birthday, Amu," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Amu's eyes twinkled with a mixture of relief and gratitude. "Kana, you made it! Come in, come in," she said, stepping aside to allow her new friend to enter.

"Um." 'Look up,' Amu heard Kana think. There, standing a few metres behind Kana—casually leaning against a tree in their garden, her arms crossed and a bored expression on her face—was a pale, slender young woman with bright orange hair, her bangs held back with a red ribbon. She wore a dark red jacket over a black shirt, and her pants were black, too, as were her knee-high boots. Her eyes met Amu's, and a slight smile flickered across her face.

"Amu," Kana whispered. "This is Naomi. Naomi, this is Amu."

"Hi," Naomi said, her voice a pleasant, light tone.

"Nice to meet you," Amu replied. "Um, so you're..."

"Kana's older sister, or so I'm told," Naomi said, raising an eyebrow. "She's talked about you a lot, and I wanted to see who this mystery girl was. Plus, you see, she seems smitten, and you never know, right? Better to be safe than sorry."

Amu was torn between confusion, concern, and a tiny flicker of delight that Kana had mentioned her enough for Naomi to feel the need to check her out. She opted for the safest response. She'd imagined this conversation before… somewhat. She had an idea!

"Ah. Um. Nice to meet you, too. Kana's mentioned you as well," Amu said.

"Oh?"

"Just, you know, a little. Or a lot. You're... teaching her math?" she said, opting for the safer of the few things Kana had mentioned.

"That's right," Naomi said, her smile widening a fraction. "She's a good student, all things considered. She's a fast learner, and she's always willing to put in the extra effort."

"And you're really good at fighting," Amu said, her voice so low you couldn't have heard it over a needle drop.

"That's... a matter of opinion," Naomi replied, her smile faltering. Kana, too, looked so tense it was like her limbs might snap.

'What are you doing!?' Kana's mind screamed, and Amu winced. She didn't dare stop for thought. Her mind flickered backwards, making sure Utau was still standing guard inside. She was.

"Well, Kana's told me a lot about you," Amu continued. "About everything. I... I meant to come visit one day, after I'd talked it over with Kana, but..." The tiniest flicker of flame flashed in Naomi's eyes. "But Kana's been telling me a lot more than I think she wanted to, and, well, I can't just sit by and watch, and..." She was babbling. She was babbling, and she couldn't stop. "I've been wanting to do something to help, and-"

"Amu," Kana said, her voice cracking. "Naomi, I swear, I didn't tell her anything, I didn't say a word, I swear, and-"

"I recognised what she's going through, because something similar happened to me and my friends, and-"

"You did?" Naomi's voice was low and dangerous. "Did you tell her about-"

"No, of course not! I wouldn't betray your trust like that, and— Amu, stop!"

Amu couldn't stop. She didn't even try. The words kept coming, spilling out faster than her thoughts could catch up.

"I want to help," she said. "I've fought people like them before. If things had gone even slightly worse, I might have been there right next to Kana. If I'd been lucky. And the idea of people using her, or experimenting on her, or, or..."

Naomi's eyes flashed, and for a moment, Amu felt like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming truck. Then, Naomi's eyes softened, and her shoulders sagged. She reached out, putting one hand on Kana's shoulder, and the other on Amu's.

"Alright," she said, her voice a bit less sharp. "Okay, we're getting off to a bad start. I'm sorry, Amu. It's just..."

"She's protective," Kana explained, her voice barely a whisper.

"I know," said Amu. She looked up into Naomi's eyes. "It's okay. You're just looking out for her. I get it. But, well, you see me. I'm not a threat."

"You're not," Naomi agreed, her tone suggesting that, if she thought Amu was, she wouldn't have hesitated to murder her. "You're also not one of us."

"I might as well be."

"That's not how this works," Naomi said, her voice soft and sad. "It's not that simple. Kana, did you somehow win her over in five days? How is that even possible?"

"It's not like that," Amu argued. "I just saw something that reminded me of myself, and... I can't ignore it, okay? I can't. There's a lot of people I could ask, if I'm careful. And-" She felt a pulse from Kana. "-yes, I'll run all of them past you first, obviously."

It hadn't been obvious to Amu at all, but Kana heaved an internal sigh of relief.

Naomi's hand tightened on Kana's shoulder, and her other hand tightened on Amu's.

"We're both telepaths," Kana argued. On the inside, Amu sensed a huge surge of relief—the sort that came from knowing Naomi wasn't killing anyone today. "She can't be lying, Naomi. Maybe I opened up a bit too much, but like I said, it's worth it. Amu's worth it."

"I... suppose that could be true," Naomi admitted. She gave Amu's shoulder a gentle squeeze, and then let go. "Sorry, I didn't mean to be so... intense. I just..."

"You're scared," Amu said. Naomi raised an eyebrow, and Amu could practically feel the daggers coming her way.

"Telepath," Kana reminded. "Both of us."

Naomi sighed, and released her hold on Kana's shoulder. "Alright, alright," she said. "You win. Like always. Just, be careful, okay?"

"I will," Kana promised.

"Fine," Naomi said, finally letting go of them both. "Alright." She took a deep breath. "Hinamori Amu. I don't think you understand what you're getting yourself into, but Kana thinks the world of you. She's important to us, and I..." She took a deep breath. "Look. Let's try again, alright? Happy birthday, Amu."

"Thank you," Amu said, trying her best not to let her relief show. "Come in, please. My parents are waiting, and so are my friends, and we've got a cake and..."

"I can't." Naomi shook her head, and Amu could sense a sudden spike of... worry? In her. "Nor do I think you'd want me there. I was here to escort Kana, and to see what sort of girl she's become friends with. But now that I've met you, and I've seen who you are..." She shrugged. "I'm satisfied. Sorry, but I have a lot of work to do."

'She has to keep the others safe,' Kana explained. 'Especially because I'm here.'

"Right. Um. Okay. Well, see you soon, then?" Amu said, wondering if that would be a lie.

"Yes, of course." Naomi nodded, and then turned and left, her footsteps heavy. They watched her go, and then Amu sagged down onto the porch. Kana followed.

'I'm going to murder you,' she thought, and Amu could almost feel the words echoing in her head. 'What were you thinking, just... telling her like that? I could have handled it, you could have said something...'

She didn't have an easy answer for that. She'd spent hours planning the conversation in her head, and not once had she imagined it'd be on her doorstep, with Utau and the others barely metres away. But, well, it was too late for that.

"I'm sorry," Amu mumbled, and meant it.

'It's fine,' Kana thought, sagging against Amu. 'She would have sought you out anyway. We've been spending too much time together, and, well, she knows me too well. Just please, please, for all that is good and holy in the world, don't ever do anything like that again. My heart can't take it.'

Amu smiled. "I won't."

"Good," Kana said, and sighed. "What sort of nutcase volunteers to help me, anyway? You could have stayed out of it. Are you secretly a yakuza princess or something? A secret spy? Some sort of ninja?"

"No, nothing like that," Amu said, grinning. "I'm just me."

"...you're way too nice for your own good," said Kana, and the tone of her voice suggested she meant it. So did her emotions. Worried, angry, but-

"You think so?"

"Yeah." Kana looked down at her feet, seemingly upset, but on the inside she was so elated she was nearly levitating. "You're going to get hurt. You shouldn't have said anything, Amu. They're... Manticore aren't someone you mess with. They're part of the government. Not like Easter."

"So what?" said Amu. "You're my friend, Kana. I'm not just going to leave you."

"You should."

"Well, I won't."

Kana took a cautious step inside, her eyes darting around as if she expected the streamers to come alive and attack her. Amu couldn't blame her; Yaya's earlier idea about ambushing the new girl with decorations wasn't far off from something the overly-enthusiastic Guardian would actually do. Being the oldest student council member had certainly done… something, to her, and Amu couldn't help but notice Pepe was nowhere to be seen, but Yaya remained Yaya.

'But Yaya's being sat on,' she thought towards Kana, which didn't seem to help her timidness. That was fair. Yaya wasn't here. But the one who'd held her back—the one who'd played interference for ages, despite four overexcitable Guardians and one dangerously nervous Amu—was standing in front of them tapping her foot, as she rounded the corner.

"Thanks, Utau," said Amu, grinning nervously up at her bestie.

As did Kana.

Up, and up, and up. Utau had a way of looming menacingly when she wanted to. She didn't think she'd overheard what they'd been saying… right?

= = =

Well, who knows. Kana, I'm sorry, but this is like the fourth time Amu does this, and each case has been worse than the last. Next time it'll have to be a demigod. Or maybe an entire army battalion.

How do you want to handle this situation?

[ ] Pretend that nothing happened.

• You were out there for much longer than it should have taken. You're both covered in sweat, and Utau could feel the emotions, even if she couldn't overhear the conversation. But sure, nothing happened.

[ ] Try to play it off
  • You're practically holding each other up. What happened, did Naomi force you through a game of boulder-ball?

[ ] Tell the truth
  • I shouldn't need to explain why this isn't an option.

[ ] Tell as much of the truth as Kana will accept
  • That sure as heck won't calm them down, but who knows? Maybe honesty's the best policy. Just expect further inquiries.

[ ] Write-in
  • While the other options largely cover the gamut, you shouldn't hesitate to add details.

Last edited:
I think its safe to infer Utau knows something.

[X] write-in: Comforting. Kana is nervous and likely picking up a lot of everyone right now while Utau has gone very prickly. You want to calm them down, reassure them, ground them... luckily all three of you are telepaths here, so you can just skip over fumbling with words and go straight to mind-hugs and grounding.

This can be better, especially if someone has an idea of something we could say.

I found and caught up on this after the last vote was locked. It's been way too long since I thought about Shugo Chara. I binged the anime and then never ended up reading the manga, maybe I should fix that. I remember it was said to be very different.

The thread title says Persona, but honestly, I get much heavier Nocturne vibes from what we've seen. Shards of a Broken Sun? A prophecy? C'mon. Amu is totally gonna be caught up in the Conception. I bet she could come up with a kickass Reason.

This is an awkward situation. Amu and Utau are very close, and probably shouldn't hide things from each other. With her background, Utau would likely want to help. It would be a betrayal of Kana and Naomi's trust to tell their story, though. Given what just happened, I think we allow the same situation to play out again- it'll be tense, but let Kana and Utau figure this out. Amu has told Kana as much about Utau as Kana said about Naomi, and that was enough for Amu to trust Naomi. Let's hope it was enough for Kana to trust Utau.

[X] Kana's story is hers to share- introduce them and let Kana and Utau judge each other

The thread title says Persona, but honestly, I get much heavier Nocturne vibes from what we've seen. Shards of a Broken Sun? A prophecy? C'mon. Amu is totally gonna be caught up in the Conception. I bet she could come up with a kickass Reason.
SMT Nocturne was definitely a big part of the last series. Though it did include some elements from other parts of the universe. And with more lead time in this case, it's certainly conceivable something Persona might show up, especially with there being psychic dream walkers. Heck for all we know she just happens to be at the right school.

This can be better, especially if someone has an idea of something we could say.
I've been wondering if one can ask to talk more about it after the Birthday has finished. It's kind of awkward to say much in the same room with everyone else after all.

While one is considering asking peoples help. it's not even just psychics here surely, but also for instance her little sister.

Though this is just my first early though, perhaps others have a better idea on how to handle a social issue like this.

Amu's doubts were not eased, nor helped, nor in any way allayed by the sound—and feel—of Kana ringing the doorbell.
They're just that unguarded with each other. Kana rings the doorbell, and if I'm reading this right, Amu feels it on Kana's fingertip. They haven't said a word to each other, out loud or in their heads, or made visual contact yet, but they're already linked up and sharing senses.

[X] write-in: Comforting. Kana is nervous and likely picking up a lot of everyone right now while Utau has gone very prickly. You want to calm them down, reassure them, ground them... luckily all three of you are telepaths here, so you can just skip over fumbling with words and go straight to mind-hugs and grounding.

I don't know how to word the write in better but words alongside telepathic convo will only help.

Last edited:

I wonder where Miki is. I don't think she would miss Amu's birthday party, but she wasn't in this scene. She wasn't even mentioned.

I also wonder if it's actually safe for these people to have cell phones. Their enemies might be able to intercept the calls, or track the devices.

As for the immediate vote... ideally, we want something that doesn't result in Naomi freaking out about the results of the interaction, but that's not the only concern. How do we run this... I don't have anything better than the current write-in.

I wonder where Miki is. I don't think she would miss Amu's birthday party, but she wasn't in this scene. She wasn't even mentioned.
She's actually still working on her gift. Or at least she was.
So, is the quest acronym intentionally SoBS?
…no, and I refuse to acknowledge the appropriateness.
They're just that unguarded with each other. Kana rings the doorbell, and if I'm reading this right, Amu feels it on Kana's fingertip. They haven't said a word to each other, out loud or in their heads, or made visual contact yet, but they're already linked up and sharing senses.
You can see why Naomi's worries miiiight not be completely unreasonable, yes. They've both let out a lot more information than I think either of them realise, even with both of them attempting to compensate for that.

Last edited:
[X] Write-in apologize for taking awhile. If Utau does seem to have overheard something and wants to talk about it right away... then and only then ask if it can't be discussed after the Birthday party, as this wouldn't really be the best moment. Discuss with Akane telepathically as needed beforehand on what can and can not be said to Utau, you did promise to let her ok such things after all. Though try to convince her in case Utau did overhear that perhaps you should tell her at least a bit of what's going on sooner rather then later, she'd probably find out somehow otherwise anyway.

My first idea for a way to approach this then, try to delay and discuss in a more mature way. A high hurdle for Amu to surely pass considering her track record so far, but one can hope she could have learnt from the more mature examples around her. Surely some of that will rub off on her. She's not a girl who only just rushes in to ever worse danger right!?

Though part of me wonders if one shouldn't just risk it a bit and just blab some of it out, but it does go against the promise Amu just made to not just tell everyone. And it wouldn't be great for her reputation for keeping secrets.

Back