Requisite pony thread (No creepers)

I mean, if they had been smart, they would have just had the new series be a timeskip into the future focusing on a new area, but the execs are never that smart.

Mm, I can see how a complete ground-up reboot while a whole new world to explore might be better as a new start than a spinoff, depending how it's done. Because, after all, even if they go somewhere else, the old cast would still loom very large in the world.

Well, we'll see!

I mean, if they had been smart, they would have just had the new series be a timeskip into the future focusing on a new area, but the execs are never that smart.
G5, like all the other Gs is a marketing strategy to drive the sales of the toys. There is nothing smart in abandoning the characters the G4 TV series advertised so successfully. The G5 main toys have to be redesigns of the most popular characters from G4.

I'm assuming that G4 ratings and toy sales have both likely suffered attrition. I've seen fewer toys in the stores, the comic sales have declined (Now at just under 8k- reasonable for this kind of book, but three years ago it did 15k and the spinoffs 12k) and I think the movie was likely the big 'will they continue, or do a G5?' moment. And 'move to new characters' is what they've done ever since season 6 with the addition of Starlight to the mane cast (that'll be in total 4 seasons of Starlight as a mane, 2 of the students), and Equestria Girls as well (4 movies, two seasons of mini-episodes, and 6 specials so far).

If something happened like the Student Six seasons exploding in the ratings or the movie bringing in a lot of new blood then you'd see something like 'same world, different cast,' but I do think this is a fairly rational decision on their part. 9 years + all of Equestria Girls is a lot of stuff. G4 is no longer the juggernaut it once was where continuing it is the sure-fire answer, but rather they want something that'll try and appeal to the same types of fans while getting new blood that their recent attempts haven't really succeeded in.

While G4 continuing much longer is a nice thought, it's not like they haven't tired, well, all of the above already!

I don't mind that, in fact, I kind of do love it when franchises are willing to do that kind of thing.

But I just don't like that it's now set in stone who the main characters have to be.

I don't mind that, in fact, I kind of do love it when franchises are willing to do that kind of thing.

But I just don't like that it's now set in stone who the main characters have to be.

Hopefully they'll mix it up a little, but yea, we're kinda in 'Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee,' territory here.

Well, Thunderbirds are go. Season 9 is upon us.

Holy COW. I mean... Chrysalis, Tirek, and tiny terror were to be expected.
Sombra was a nice surprise.
But they actually went and included Grogar?
ALL THE HYPE.

But they actually went and included Grogar?
ALL THE HYPE.

Plus, it starts to explain something about the setting that we've noticed since season one:
If what they said is accurate, Grogar is responsible for the myriad monstronsities we've seen in Equestria since episode two. "Father of Monsters" is a rather specific title, after all.
I anticipate a quest to find a specific artifact will occur, or else it will be found behind the scenes. The mention of a certain unicorn from My Little Pony 'n Friends implies we may finally see the origin of Equestria as we know it.

I wonder if any other classic villains will reappear?

Plus, it starts to explain something about the setting that we've noticed since season one:
If what they said is accurate, Grogar is responsible for the myriad monstronsities we've seen in Equestria since episode two. "Father of Monsters" is a rather specific title, after all.
I anticipate a quest to find a specific artifact will occur, or else it will be found behind the scenes. The mention of a certain unicorn from My Little Pony 'n Friends implies we may finally see the origin of Equestria as we know it.

I wonder if any other classic villains will reappear?
Well, Tirek and Grogar were already the most memorable villains of G1. Though I wouldn't object to Lavan or Squirk making a comeback! ...I was about to mention Crunch the Rockdog, but he's less memorable due to his own qualities than due to being the villain of an excellent Wind Whistler-centric episode.
I am slightly weirded out that Gusty was the big hero of legend. I mean, G1 Gusty was the pony who failed to outsmart a rock. :p

Well, Tirek and Grogar were already the most memorable villains of G1. Though I wouldn't object to Lavan or Squirk making a comeback! ...I was about to mention Crunch the Rockdog, but he's less memorable due to his own qualities than due to being the villain of an excellent Wind Whistler-centric episode.
I am slightly weirded out that Gusty was the big hero of legend. I mean, G1 Gusty was the pony who failed to outsmart a rock. :p

Rocks are tricksy and sly. Like hobbitses.

Back