Nine fucking Evangelions with Dummy Plugs got slapped around by Asuka and only won because they had infinite energy.
You are describing this as it was a typical Asuka performance. It was not.
Frankly, apart from the EoE battle, Asuka was a mediocre pilot at best.
Also considering that EoE Dummies were based on Tabris, the most bland and boring behavior-set in NGE, it is obvious that they are also bland and boring.
If the Dummy Plug is really so almighty and infallible, then why do we even have pilots?
Is this a serious question?
Because during the nine previous Angel attacks, there was no Dummy Plug existing? Not even a buggy development prototype, nothing.
Clearly, the intended reading is that the Dumny Plug is a shoddy piece of work only good for basic aggression, incapable of particularly skillful fighting, responding to a commander's orders or tactical acumen of any kind.
And exactly because of that, the Dummy Plug was able to massacre all other Evas.
They have to have at least an "is enemy, kill enemy" routine to function.
Well, that is exactly my point.
I do not think it has such a routine.
It can't implant "Rei is enemy, attack Rei" into Asuka's mind, but it could put a suggestion "Rei is an Angel".
In a normal situation, Asuka's answer would be, "What? She is an irritating bitch, but Angel? C'mon!"
But in this battle, Asuka's was not in the right state of mind.
This argument is absolute dogshit. It can be used to justify literally anything Gendo does.
Well, to be honest, it is exactly how it goes in canon.
She's an employee who was tasked to develop something according to specs, and she doesn't hold any rights over the fruits of her labor. It's in every standard contract for corporate drones.
NERV is not a corporation, and Gendo is not CEO. Also, neither Misato nor Ritsuko are "drones", even if we assume this comparison.
NERV is a paramilitary organization, (I suppose this was only the reason why JSSDF could get at least some minimal legal justification for the attack), and Ritsuko is de facto the third most important (and knowledgeable) person there.
Also, this is obvious case of Nuremberg defense, same bullshit how JSSDF soldiers from EoE would try to defend their massacre (if they tried at all, during the history Japan did not care much about honoring any Conventions during wars, I have no idea how it works today).
It's normal for operational command to be informed of only relevant tactical situation in their zone of responsibility and not the whole frontline.
Having two units immune (even only potentially if we agree with @VX-145) to the Angel's mind-fuck abilities is not a relevant tactical information?
Are you kidding me?

Last edited:
Not much detail today as I'm out most of it but I'll highlight stuff.

A matter of scale maybe? Let's not compare an autonomous bot to a nuclear weapon. This is more about a new UAV entering service.

An Evangelion is hardly the same scale as, say, a Predator drone - whose autonomy is already a cause of major controversy IRL. They're the only weapons that can defeat an Angel, and they're pretty damn terrifying against humans.

Those things are not something to take care of in the middle of a battle. And in this situation it's actually Misato's job to make sure Gendo's orders are being followed, since she's the only officer between him and the kids. Shitty orders too.

Incorrect. Gendo's job in this situation is like any other senior officers' when a junior is able to operate: shut the fuck up, and get out of the way. That's how successful militaries work, and you really don't have to go far to see what happens when a senior officer (or politician) feels they're able to make low-level decisions and ignores the commander on the scene.

At first, Gendo issuing orders was justified on the grounds that he believed Misato dead - but the moment it was obvious that wasn't the case, he should have stepped aside. (I would have added that he could also justify his orders by believing Misato compromised - but he didn't take that into account in his other orders so it's a very weak justification.)

Moreover, Misato has set a clear example of how to successfully lead the Eva Corps. That Gendo refuses to follow it is a sign of his unsuitability for the Operations Director role, regardless of how well suited he is for the Commander Of NERV one.

Well, that is exactly my point.
I do not think it has such a routine.

IMO, it needs to be able to process something as an enemy in order to go apeshit on it, otherwise it'd just be beating up random mountains and buildings.

A matter of scale maybe? Let's not compare an autonomous bot to a nuclear weapon. This is more about a new UAV entering service.
First off, claiming that a skyscraper-sized robot that's semi-secretly a cyborg alien angel is equivalent to a Predator drone is absurd. In terms of both cutting-edge science/engineering and sheer destructive ability (albeit more slowly), Evangelions are way closer to the Manhattan Project than a new way to combine decades-old RC and weapons tech.

Misato (we) are good, because we have all the time to come up with our strategies, and have special relationship with the kids. There's always a better solution in hindsight.
I would give Gendo a pass if he made bad decisions at first, then realized why his orders weren't being followed and adapted over the course of the battle. I'd still criticize him if the topic came up, but I wouldn't support votes to rub his face in his mistakes.

That's not what happened. Gendo kept giving orders that were bad in the same way for the whole battle. This wasn't a knife fight between two dudes in an alley; this took minutes to resolve. Sure, that's not enough time to come up with a perfectly detailed stratagem, but I didn't criticize Gendo for failing to do that. I criticized him for failing to adapt to the situation at all.

Those things are not something to take care of in the middle of a battle.
...what are you talking about? Yeah, you (usually) can't improve morale in the middle of battle, but that's not what I'm criticizing Gendo for failing to do. I'm criticizing him for failing to accept the morale he entered the battle with and work within the constraints that puts on him.

And that is something commanders need to worry about in the middle of battle. The military history every commissioned officer learns are full of battles where one side or the other had to work with troops that would refuse some of their orders, for one reason or another. If your infantry won't charge down the hill, don't order them to charge down the hill; find a battle plan which accounts for your infantry staying at the top of the hill. This is basic military theory!

And in this situation it's actually Misato's job to make sure Gendo's orders are being followed, since she's the only officer between him and the kids. Shitty orders too.
That depends on what the job of a middle officer is. Is it to ensure orders from higher officers are followed, or to ensure objectives are met? Even disregarding the literally apocalyptic stakes of this particular battle, that isn't an open-and-shut issue. There are many command-and-control doctrines, which each have their own contexts where they work best.

And some of them do focus on goals rather than orders! Consider command by negation, prominently used by the US Navy, or mission-type tactics, developed by the post-Napoleonic Prussian army. Whaddya know, even some of the most effective military forces in history had doctrine where lower officers were given flexibility to complete objectives based on their understanding of local conditions, ignoring bad orders from people who can't see the situation as clearly.

There are absolutely situations where cultivating that kind of flexibility and freedom in the officers is a bad idea. Perhaps most prominently, dictatorships need to worry about junior officers using their freedom to coup the central government. Even if a more flexible command-and-control doctrine would be more effective in battle, political concerns limit the dictator's choices.

However...for everyone except Gendo Ikari, battle effectiveness matters way more than Gendo Ikari's political concerns. Again, if the Evangelion corps is rendered inoperable, the human race is in imminent danger of extinction. Defeating Angels with minimal damage to the Evangelions, their pilots, and hopefully civilian infrastructure should be Misato's top priority. If Gendo gives orders which threaten the human race, fuck him.

I want to emphasize something: I'm not a military theory expert, I just read a history blog that references military theory. If I sound like one, it's because I know what words to Google and read some Wikipedia pages. If Gendo wants to act as a military commander, he has no excuse for not knowing all of this and more. The whole point of officer training is making sure that officers understand this shit well enough to act on it in battle, when every second counts.

Her responsibilities are tactical command in battles with Angels, iirc. The only strategic goal she cares about is killing all of them. Need-to-know basis applies here, and Rei is a good example: Misato doesn't need to know her secrets to give her orders in battles. Same goes for other strategic goals and politics.
First off, you're wrong. Misato gets consulted for all sorts of things that have nothing to do with killing Angels. Remember the plushies?

Second, even if you're right, anything relevant to killing angels would be need-to-know information. That's what need-to-know means. If Gendo Ikari has some strategic concerns that might get in the way of killing Angels, he needs to let his Angel-killing officers know about them, or accept that the Angel-killing officer is going to fuck over his strategic concerns. This is especially true of the Angel-killer-in-chief, who both has the highest security clearance of any Angel-killing officer and the greatest ability to fuck over Gendo's strategic concerns that she was never informed of.

That's more like leftovers Gendo can't be bothered with.
Either Misato's role is political/strategic (and Gendo is a bad commander because he's denying her information necessary for her role), or Misato's role is not political/strategic (and Gendo is a bad commander because he's delegating tasks he doesn't like to arbitrary members of staff, regardless of their duties or expertise).

Allowed to ask - true, being denied the answer based on insufficient clearance - also true.
You're falling back on the appeal to authority again.

You've been doing that a lot, actually, but rarely so subtle. You're not arguing that Gendo is ethically mandated to withhold information from Misato, or that it's strategically advantageous. You're arguing that he has a higher rank than her, and is therefore allowed to do so.

This is, incidentally, a point that no one has disputed! Gendo can withhold whatever information he likes, give whatever order he likes, and Misato can't stop him. But if his strategic and tactical decisions are stupid, then he should be criticized for them. By and large, you are arguing not that Gendo's decisions were smart, but that he is authorized to make them. Focusing just on this last post:
And in this situation it's actually Misato's job to make sure Gendo's orders are being followed, since she's the only officer between him and the kids. Shitty orders too.

Her responsibilities are tactical command in battles with Angels, iirc. The only strategic goal she cares about is killing all of them. Need-to-know basis applies here.

That's more like leftovers Gendo can't be bothered with.

Allowed to ask - true, being denied the answer based on insufficient clearance - also true.
And that's not getting into how many of these arguments are about whether military officers are required to share certain information with their subordinates. Which is partly my fault for getting sidetracked, but still.

...what are you talking about? Yeah, you (usually) can't improve morale in the middle of battle, but that's not what I'm criticizing Gendo for failing to do. I'm criticizing him for failing to accept the morale he entered the battle with and work within the constraints that puts on him.

I'll build on this, briefly. A commander also has to consider the long-term morale of the force, i.e. keeping the unit not just physically but emotionally and mentally able to fight. This is, no exaggeration, 90% of our job in this quest, though we do it for other reasons and not just because we want the pilots to be able to fight. Gendo and Ritsuko don't seem to understand this, which is fine, it's not their job... except Gendo took tactical control of this battle and made it his job. In terms of results, let's just say any battle which ends with two severely injured pilots and two literally imprisoned pilots is not good for long-term unit cohesion.

I'd call it a Pyrrhic victory, but that would be an insult to Pyrrhus of Epirus, arguably the best general to ever lose against Rome.

On a lark, I had Chat GPT mull over the options and give some pros and cons:

Given the situation and the dynamics involved, it seems like playing it safe and trying to get through the meeting without provoking Gendo Ikari would be the most prudent choice. Here are the pros and cons of each option:

1. Grovel and plead for leniency:
    • Pros: Shows humility and willingness to accept responsibility, which might appeal to Gendo's sense of authority.
    • Cons: Could come off as weak or submissive, potentially undermining your authority and bargaining position in future interactions.
  2. Chew him out:
    • Pros: Expresses your frustrations and grievances, potentially asserting your authority and demanding accountability.
    • Cons: Likely to provoke Gendo's anger and retaliation, risking further consequences for yourself and the pilots.
  3. Take the fall for the pilots:
    • Pros: Protects the pilots from Gendo's wrath and potential repercussions.
    • Cons: Could damage your own credibility and relationship with Gendo, potentially leading to long-term consequences for your career.
  4. Lie your ass off:
    • Pros: Provides an opportunity to manipulate the situation and avoid negative consequences in the short term.
    • Cons: Risky strategy that could backfire if Gendo discovers the deception, leading to severe consequences for trust and integrity.
  5. Play it safe and just try to get through this without pissing him off:
    • Pros: Minimizes immediate conflict and maintains a neutral stance, reducing the risk of worsening the situation.
    • Cons: May not address underlying issues or provide long-term solutions, potentially allowing problems to persist without resolution.
Considering the volatile nature of the situation and the power dynamics involved, opting to play it safe and avoid antagonizing Gendo Ikari would likely be the most pragmatic choice. This approach prioritizes stability and minimizes the risk of exacerbating tensions or causing further harm to yourself and the pilots.

So I'm torn. On the one hand, Mr. Chat GPT makes an excellent argument for 'Playing It Safe'. However, 'Chewing Him Out' seems like it might be an entertaining disaster. And I don't *think* Misato mouthing off to Gendo will cause him to perform his best Cosmo Spacely impression and get her fired from NERV (and perhaps thus ending the Quest).

I don't think, anyway.

Maybe?

Eh.

[X] Play it Safe.

I have some philosophical issues with asking a generative AI that has probably not read this Quest for advice, but if I ignore them and take its arguments as arguments, it doesn't do a good job of explaining why we should prioritize a neutral stance and minimizing immediate conflict over addressing underlying issues or providing long-term solutions. It just says we should.

This whole Quest, we've been struggling to keep long-term issues from getting out of hand while also handling short-term problems. Deliberately letting underlying issues go unaddressed—indeed, letting them get worse by not standing up for our pilots or criticizing Gendo for his tactical blunders, damaging the former's confidence and exacerbating the latter's—seems all but guaranteed to make that balance harder to maintain in the future.

Nothingness IV: Tsubame-gaeshi New
[X] Chew him out

The more you think about this operation, the angrier you get. Your head pounds as blood rushes in your ears. You stagger as you make your way to the appointed conference room with a head full of steam.

Only Gendo isn't there. The conference room is empty. You only find Fuyutsuki, who informs you that the meeting has been moved to Gendo's office. You have a bad feeling about this. Fuyutsuki leads the way to Gendo's ridiculous office.

You enter. The space is still as absurd as you remember. A vast, dark room with a narrow window along the back wall for light. On the floor, mysterious inscriptions in what you think might be Hebrew spread like a garden of magical sigils. The only piece of furniture is a lone desk, and two chairs. You can barely make out Gendo's silhouette, sitting with his hands folded beneath his nose. His glasses glint faintly in the dim light.

He asks Fuyutsuki to read the casualty counts. Fuyutsuki clears his throat, produces a sheet of paper and informs you that the current estimated casualties are as follows:

154 JSSDF WIA, 89 KIA, 4 MIA
59 civilians dead, 967 injuries
16 NERV staff dead, 43 injuries (including Hikari, Asuka and Rei)

Thank you, Fuyutsuki. That will be all. He may leave the room. Fuyutsuki opens his mouth to object, but Gendo says his presence is not required. He has other tasks to attend to, so go attend to them. Yes, sir, Fuyutsuki says begrudgingly, and leaves you and him behind.

Come. Sit.

You quickly move over to his desk, letting the fury within you propel your feet forward. You feel kind of sick, but you're not going to back down until you give Gendo a piece of your mind for what happened back there. His cheap intimidation tactics aren't going to affect you. You do not sit.

Before Gendo can say anything, you launch into a tirade about what happened back there, particularly regarding the use of the Dummy Plug system. You fume about how nobody felt it important to inform you this dangerous and untested technology was onboard the Evangelions. You point out that as a result of the Dummy Plug, two pilots and two Evangelions were taken off the field. Three if you count Rei herself. The Dummy Plug was activated on his orders, against recommendations from Ritsuko. One of your pilots is potentially disabled for life as a result of his actions. The only thing activating that thing did was make a gigantic mess of what was already shaping up to be a very messy operation, not that Gendo even acted like he cared. The pilots were obviously compromised, but he didn't adjust his orders or try to talk to them. So now you're in this mess. Maybe next time, he should leave the operations to you and stick to doing whatever it is the fuck he does around here, which is, to the best of your knowledge, extremely unclear.

Gendo is unmoved by your anger, which makes you even angrier. He speaks calmly and clearly, but there's an undercurrent of deep annoyance and contempt in his tone. He was hoping to have a discussion about how to handle and possibly discipline the pilots for disobeying orders, which was the main cause of the fiasco you're dealing with, but he sees that you'd prefer to point fingers and throw a tantrum like a child rather than trying to manage this crisis.

He shouldn't have to defend or explain himself to you, but he'll humor this mental exercise. If he had not activated the Dummy Plug when he had, it is very likely that Rei, and possibly Unit-00, would have been killed by Unit-03 going berserk. Regardless of the unsuitability of the circumstances or the unfinished nature of the system, he had no choice but to activate the Dummy System. A berserk Evangelion, even one as broken and battered as Unit-03 was at the moment, is not a threat to be taken lightly. On top of that, Rei had all but announced her intentions to roll over and let Unit-00 be destroyed.

It was a choice between sacrificing Unit-00 and its pilot or sacrificing Unit-03 and its pilot. One of those pilots is the most tenured pilot at NERV, operating an Evangelion built here that, while old, has demonstrated itself to be fairly reliable up until that point. The other pilot was untrained, had just attempted to destroy Unit-00, and was operating a foreign Evangelion unit whose twin had destroyed a branch of NERV. Rei is also, may he remind you, his adoptive daughter. The choice was easy and obvious. All four pilots are alive. The costs associated with that outcome are regrettable. Especially considering that Rei showed her gratitude by threatening to kill him.

As for the other pilot that was involved with Unit-00, he certainly didn't order her to attack Unit-00. Did you? Because apparently, you said something to the Second Child, and then she decided to attack Unit-00, and suffered the consequences of her stupidity. He is fully aware that most, if not all of his pilots were somehow compromised by whatever was happening. You retort that he should have adjusted his orders accordingly, then.

Oh, like you did? Evidently, whatever you said to them didn't do anything to improve the situation, and given that the Second and Fourth Child attacked targets other than the Angel after you spoke to them, possibly made things worse. You were ordered to keep your mouth shut, and you didn't. It's no wonder there was confusion about what to do. The only pilot that stayed on task was the pilot of Unit-01, and Gendo presumes you and he gave him the same order: destroy the target.

So why is he in a cell, you demand. Because, Gendo replies calmly, he stood down and did not destroy the target at the end of the battle. He allowed and assisted Rei in doing so, despite her being ordered to stand down. Why was she ordered to stand down, you ask.

Gendo says it was obvious that something wasn't right. That she was up to something. So, she was ordered to stand by unless her help was needed. The other two had the aggression. It was being misdirected. They were being given coordinates and explicit instructions to disengage and attack the Angel. They did not follow the instructions. Whether this is because of willful disobedience (which would be on your and Dr. Akagi's head, since you're both responsible for their mental well-being) or because the Angel's effect disabled their ability to attack it is unknown. For your sake, he's choosing to believe it's the latter. And if that's the case, nothing could be done about it.

You grit your teeth in frustration. Why did nobody tell you about the Dummy System being installed? Gendo tells you to ask Dr. Akagi. He did not order her to keep it a secret from you. Moreover, you would have been informed under normal circumstances. Nobody expected there to be an Angel attack midway through the installation process.

Why did he have them installed? As a last resort, obviously. If he hadn't, Rei would be dead.

What about the JSSDF, you ask, they were severely damaging the Evangelions until Asuka directly dealt with them. Gendo says while he's deeply sympathetic to your position, he cannot exactly order the pilots to attack another UN chartered military organization without opening NERV up to serious scrutiny. He's already expecting to have to explain himself to the old men on the Committee as it is. Privately, he doesn't really care what happened to them. They took up arms against an Evangelion and lost. Given that he was unaware of what your orders were, and most unfortunately, all witnesses to what orders you gave were found to have been under the Angel's influence or simply cannot be located, he's choosing to report to the Committee that no orders to attack the JSSDF were given and what happened was wholly the result of Angel interference.

Is he understood, Major Katsuragi?

So what, he's going to turn it all back on you and act like he carried out that battle perfectly? Because you'd hardly call this a victory. If another Angel shows up very soon, humanity is fucked. Gendo says of course not. He admits that he made errors. The greatest error that comes to mind was knocking the Fourth Child out, as this resulted in Unit-03 going berserk, which forced his hand. He had not anticipated that would or could happen.

The purpose of this meeting was to discuss where responsibility lies for the pilots failing to carry out their duties, and to determine suitable measures to be taken. You seem uninterested in doing anything but trying to absolve yourself and your charges of their failings by shifting the blame to him. He has half a mind to dismiss you. You're on very thin ice. But he would be foolish to dismiss his Head of Operations for mouthing off in a debriefing. Watch your temper, though, Major.

In the meantime, suitable measures need to be taken with the pilots. There are mitigating circumstances for three of the pilots, but the JSSDF and most likely the Committee will be out for blood. Something must be done with them, though he's inclined to show leniency.

As for Rei, she will be dealt with appropriately. Unit-00 is going to be frozen until further notice, and Rei will have her clearances revoked. Most likely she will be placed under guard here in the Geofront, depending on the results of a psychological evaluation. Dr. Akagi will handle the rest.

Gendo is willing to hear and consider a proposal from you about how to handle the other pilots. They cannot simply be allowed to continue as if nothing has happened. Speak up now.

[ ] What to do with the Second Child (write-in)
[ ] What to do with the Third Child (write-in)
[ ] What to do with the Fourth Child (write-in)

Last edited:
Well.

I think we can argue for leniency on the part of the Third and Fourth Children (Shinji and Hikari, respectively).

It's the Second Child (Asuka) that is the really tricky one here.
  • We ordered Asuka to attack the JSSDF.
  • Gendo is unaware of what our orders to Asuka were, and isn't bothering to ask us.
  • The story Gendo has given to the JSSDF, and by extension the world outside NERV, is that Asuka attacked the JSSDF of her own volition. Angel interference was part of it, but still.
  • This means that Asuka is the obvious choice for a sacrifice to appease the JSSDF and the Japanese government.

IMO, it needs to be able to process something as an enemy in order to go apeshit on it, otherwise it'd just be beating up random mountains and buildings.
Of course, all of this is a pure speculation from my part, but I elaborate.
Angel itself can perfectly discern what enemy is.
As I see things, it is that the subjects must jump to the conclusions by themselves.
It can enable the fears, or insecurities, but it is the victim who has to decide how to act when those thoughts are dominant.
JSSDF were already scared of Evas and all cover-op stuff with NERV, so they acted on those fears.
Asuka was musing about killing Rei before because of "Angel-Rei" thing, so she only needed to be reminded about Rei's nature
Hikari is a very nice person, so the worst the Angel could do, was to activate her insecurities/resentment about her sister.
Rei was afraid of being a burden, so she tried to eliminate herself.

You have a bad feeling about this.
Too late for second thoughts now.
Before Gendo can say anything, you launch into a tirade about what happened back there, particularly regarding the use of the Dummy Plug system.
Let the games begin!
Rei is also, may he remind you, his adoptive daughter.
Sure. Now she is "adoptive daughter", not "the First Child". What father would place his child in such a dump? Wait, do not answer this...
Why did nobody tell you about the Dummy System being installed? Gendo tells you to ask Dr. Akagi. He did not order her to keep it a secret from you.
We will ask her, you can be sure...
Nobody expected there to be an Angel attack midway through the installation process.
What kind of argument is this? Nobody ever expects Angels to attack. It is not like they have the schedule.
Gendo says while he's deeply sympathetic to your position, he cannot exactly order the pilots to attack another UN chartered military organization without opening NERV up to serious scrutiny.
(...)
There are mitigating circumstances for three of the pilots, but the JSSDF and most likely the Committee will be out for blood.
JSSDF instead of trying to do something like this, maybe should consider why they attacked Eva in the first place at all. I am not a military expert, but shouldn't something like this be a reason for the court-martial?
Most likely she will be placed under guard here in the Geofront, depending on the results of a psychological evaluation.
A great example of being a good parent, indeed.

Well, that could go better...
Some preliminary ideas

[X] What to do with the Second Child (write-in)
-[X] Demand to be present during her psychological evaluation, until then you will withhold opinion.
[X] What to do with the Third Child (write-in)
-[X] Release him. He followed orders, and did his job.
-[X] Allow him to visit the other pilots to improve their mental state (which is very fragile now) and unit cohesion
[X] What to do with the Fourth Child (write-in)
-[X] Inform her family about her medical state
-[X] NERV will pay her medical expenses

Unfortunately, demanding to be present during Rei's evaluation is not an option

Last edited:
I honestly wasn't expecting Gendo to be...reasonable?...about this, based on prior experience.

In the meantime, suitable measures need to be taken with the pilots. There are mitigating circumstances for three of the pilots, but the JSSDF and most likely the Committee will be out for blood. Something must be done with them, though he's inclined to show leniency.

Gendo is willing to hear and consider a proposal from you about how to handle the other pilots. They cannot simply be allowed to continue as if nothing has happened. Speak up now.
It sounds like we need to find a "bare minimum" of punishment for the pilots in question. If we advocate for no punishment at all, Gendo won't take it seriously. Maybe house arrest for a few weeks?

Last edited:
Hikari may be crippled for life, that's more than enough punishment to satisfy anyone.

Shinji followed orders right up until Rei went postal, he can get off with a slap on the wrist methinks.

Asuka... maybe an official Court Martial and investigation to satisfy the JSSDF? I'm willing to own up and say we gave the order to neutralize the positron cannons. And I will continue to justify the necessity of that. The excess carnage we blame on the Angel mind fuckery.

No idea what the fuck we do for Rei. If she were a normal pilot, I'd say removal from the program and house arrest. But we can't do that here cause Gendo almost certainly wont let us.

Financial penalties are also on the table here, maybe payouts to the families of the dead JSSDF from the pilots? Personal letters? Kinda weakens the 'blame the angel' idea....

Do we have confirmation that the army was the first to fire?

It sounds like we need to find a "bare minimum" of punishment for the pilots in question.
I think part of the trick here is that Gendo personally is fine with everyone except Shinji, so we can come up with punishments that look severe to outside parties, but aren't treated by the pilots as severe (to keep their morale up); and Gendo will be fine with it if we can pass this bar?

I'm willing to own up and say we gave the order to neutralize the positron cannons.
Gendo already veto'd that, so it's a no go sadly; though the Court Martial idea might work if we can spin it in a way that results in a nothingburger at the end? (We will definitely need to explain to Asuka we are protecting her by doing so relative to what could have happened, and ask her to cooperate)

Last edited:
I'm gonna post some ideas I have for write-ins, and people can let me know what they think before I put in as a vote:

[] What to do with the Second Child (write-in)
-[]Ask for permission to be present for her psych eval. While you'd prefer to wait until after her eval for a full recommendation on what do in regards to her punishment, your preliminary proposal would be to place her on unpaid suspension for some amount of time, alongside mandatory therapy going forward due to the role her psychological state played in the operation. Otherwise volunteer to help personally in helping Gendo deal with the Council and JDSF/Public in regards to getting her leniency, as she'll be needed with both Rei and Hikari out of action for the forseeable future.
[] What to do with the Third Child (write-in)
-[] As you gave him the order to allow Rei to attack the angel and he otherwise performed exemplary considering the circumstances, including stopping Rei, let him off with as light a punishment as possible, and release him from detainment, with permission to visit the other pilots.
[] What to do with the Fourth Child (write-in)
-[] Considering her condition she likely won't be able to pilot for a considerable length of time. As her condition won't be public use this opportunity to place her on unpaid suspension or somesuch (while still being employed and receiving medical benefits) so that she outwardly can be seen as being punished for her role in attacks on the JDSF. If her condition improves and she still wishes to pilot the suspension could be lifted at that point provided enough time as passed to make the punishment seem reasonable. Let her family know of her condition however, and allow visitation.

Basically my idea here is to try and give the two outward problem pilots a punishment that seems serious on the surface, but is less of a problem since neither will be piloting for awhile anyway. Asuka is the hardest one to figure out what to do with, but I'm thinking by leveling a heavier than expected "punishment" on Hikari while giving her a lighter punishment may work. The mandatory therapy will probably be something Asuka will hate, but may actually help her while appearing like a punishment.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if discharging Hikaru (with compensation and medical healthcare) will be appropriate here?
I suppose for Asuka we could throw her into a Court Martial and leave her on active duty until it is resolved (pulling strings to lighten the final verdict and make the trial last for as long as humanly feasible).

While for Shinji, granting visitation rights but looking for some petty privilege to revoke should be good enough?

As for Rei, she will be dealt with appropriately. Unit-00 is going to be frozen until further notice, and Rei will have her clearances revoked.
That's definitely one way to resolve the new Rei-Asuka issue, I guess?

Shinji followed orders right up until Rei went postal, he can get off with a slap on the wrist methinks.
Only because he did this, Rei was contained with minimal damage. Especially that the Angel was already dead then.
No idea what the fuck we do for Rei.
Unfortunately, it looks like it is out of Misato's hands for now
Do we have confirmation that the army was the first to fire?
First, Unit-03 was away form JSSDF, attacked by Positron Rifles, only later she engaged directly
Second, even if it was Hikari who attacked first, there is no way we could admit this

@NedTheNanite Some good ideas here, but you should make this more concise.

Last edited:
I think part of the trick here is that Gendo personally is fine with everyone except Shinji, so we can come up with punishments that look severe to outside parties, but aren't treated by the pilots as severe (to keep their morale up); and Gendo will be fine with it if we can pass this bar?
That sounds pretty good.

Okay, upon some thinking:

I think Shinji should be the one to take the fall for the sake of the others. He has a hero complex, and survivor's guilt as of the latest combat encounter, so if we explain it to him in those terms - that he's taking punishment so the others don't have to - he will go along with it.

Also, Shinji is the one in a cell right now, so he might the one Gendo has most of a beef with on a personal level?

Also, we're having issues with Asuka feeling like she's the least favourite, in Misato's eyes and generally. Punishing her will exacerbate that.

Preliminary plan:

[ ] What to do with the Second Child:
-[ ] Since he's the one who directly disobeyed orders (not in reality, but in the story we are spinning), he gets [punishment that looks severe to outside parties but is less so in reality].

[ ] What to do with the Third Child:
-[ ] Advocate leniency. She's already been punished during the battle. And we (Gendo and NERV) are saying that the aggression between Unit-02 and the JSSDF was wholly the result of Angel interference? Might as well stick to that.
-[ ] Ask to be present during the psychological evaluation.

[ ] What to do with the Fourth Child:
-[ ] She's possibly crippled for life. That should be more than enough punishment to satisfy anyone. No punishment for her.

[ ] Furthermore, tell Gendo that the JSSDF senior officer was bragging about plans to annihilate NERV. They were likely a lost cause before the battle, and definitely are now. Which isn't good, but it does give Gendo freedom to tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

As for what [punishment that looks severe to outside parties but is less so in reality] looks like: I'm currently thinking some form of house arrest, but one with very mild conditions? Maybe just have him "locked up" in Misato's apartment (which he often doesn't leave anyway). If that's unlikely to cut it, he can stay in a cell but still enjoy some creature comforts.

Last edited:
And we (Gendo and NERV) are saying that the aggression between Unit-02 and the JSSDF was wholly the result of Angel interference? Might as well stick to that.
Do you think a scam trial would be feasible after we wait for her to be in a better mental state (so we can get her to play along, with knowledge that she will be fine)?

She's already been punished during the battle.
Wait, how so?

Do you think a scam trial would be feasible after we wait for her to be in a better mental state (so we can get her to play along, with knowledge that she will be fine)?
I honestly hadn't considered a scam trial. NERV is paramilitary rather than actual military - do they even have an equivalent to a court-martial? EDIT: But sure, a show trial for the sake of appearances might help.

She didn't get it as bad as Hikari, but she still got it pretty bad.

Last edited:
He admits that he made errors. The greatest error that comes to mind was knocking the Fourth Child out, as this resulted in Unit-03 going berserk, which forced his hand. He had not anticipated that would or could happen.

The greatest error that comes to mind is treating children like machines, as this resulted in them suffering undue stress, which reduced their mental stability, left them vulnerable to angel attack, and resulted in them losing control of their mind-linked murder beasts. Anyone could have predicted that something would happen.

I think I have to throw this vote into the ring. We'll probably never have a better chance.

[X] What to do with the Gendo (write-in)
-[X] Shoot him
-[X] if he has Adam on his hand, use it as justification after the fact, otherwise, guess we're staging a coup
[X] What to do with the First Child (write-in)
-[X] Adopt them
-[X] Get them a therapist
[X] What to do with the Second Child (write-in)
-[X] Adopt them
[X] What to do with the Third Child (write-in)
-[X] Adopt them
[X] What to do with the Fourth Child (write-in)
-[X] Adopt them Medical Care
-[X] Probably get them a therapist, too
[X] What to do with the rest of the world (write-in)
-[X] Spin up the PR machine
-[X] Blame everything on Gendo. He was a monster.
-[X] Garner sympathy for our child soldiers. They are victims.

yeah, let's go off the rails. I have no interest in even pretending to punish children who were doing their best.

Also, Shinji is the one in a cell right now, so he might the one Gendo has most of a beef with on a personal level?
...actually, while we can't say that we officially gave orders to fight the JSSDF, why not have Shinji "claim" that he was the one that pointed Angel-affected Asuka in their direction for the sake of his friends or something? (After running this by Shinji, that is)

Then we give Shinji a decent punishment (as Gendo probably wants) and show a lighter one for Asuka (because she was manipulated) to satisfy JSSDF.

Well that went worse then I thought it would, we just dug our hole even further, for no fucking reason, great.

[X] What to do with the Second Child
-[X] Give her house arrest, with exceptions, that she be allowed outside when being accompanied by a senior officer (Misato) with reduced pay, and what clearances she has being revoked, pending a psychological evaluation, which we ask to be present for.

[X] What to do with the Third Child
-[X] Release him, after a debriefing/ verbal dressing down, house arrest, being allowed outside when being accompanied by a senior officer, with reduced pay, no clearances being revoked, since he mostly followed orders, except at the end.

[X] What to do with the Fourth Child
-[X] Houses Arrest, with exceptions, that she be allowed outside when being accompanied by a senior officer (Misato, or other) with reduced pay,
and what clearances she has being revoked, pending her psychological evaluation.
-[X] dependent if she ever fully recovers from the recent battle, if not, then no punishment should be given as she is crippled for life.

Given the nature of the Angel, it was our operational plan to work around its mental contamination, hence I do not want to be to strict here, but given the nature of what happened with Rei, Asuka before and during the battle, and the possible PTSD it has given Asuka, with the heavy possibly of all of this effecting her synch rate, on top of her arm problems, we should push for a psychological evaluation, which we are present for (if not leading) if it just going to be Ritusko, then we might as well not even bother.

For all of our little ducking's, they get mostly the same punishment, more meant for show then anything else, since I don't want any accusations of favoritism (against Misato) playing any part here, naturally if accepted, the duration of the house arrest, the reduced pay and revoked clearances will be decided on by Gendo, and whatever else is decided on.

Last edited:
Back