I mean, I think some people just wanna be a possession, and write stories about that without really meaning anything by how terrible that makes the possessing characters?

I think it's weird as fuck to do that with real people who actually exist, mind, but I can get the impulse in the abstract.

Kink writing is kink writing, and so long as they don't do any harm with it in real life there's not actually a problem with it. If it grosses you out just avoid it (though feel free to complain if it's unlabelled).

I think that is up for debate - it seems like it would either be your first, vicersal, reaction. Or it would get put at the back of the list. And which it would be is something that you may not be able to figure out in advance.

Basically consider gender dysphoria. Now slap inverting your physical sex on you out of nowhere. Does it creep up on you, as you slowly get smacked by the things that just feel… wrong, now? Or does it all smack into you at once because you already know what your gender is, and to have your body suddenly no longer reflecting that is incredibly unpleasant.

In reality trans people have years of experiencing being in a body that doesn't match their gender. So it's very hard to say what would happen with someone that it happens to in an instant, since that is not actually possible in the real world and it would be deeply personal as well.

I imagine most people here are probably roughly correct with how we think we would react. Though it's impossible to be sure since high-stress situations can cause really weird reactions, as I can attest first hand.

So, I can actually weigh in on this from personal experience(!)

I am male and I am not gender-dysphoric, but I am also only loosely attached to my gender, such that I play female characters like half the time in video games and that's fine for me, whatever.

I also have a VR headset, and play VR games sometimes.

And in one VR game, it randomized my avatar, and my avatar happened to end up generally feminine. And I didn't really notice or care... until one day, multiple sessions of playing later, when I happened to look down and notice my character was kinda busty and had a sudden wave of dysphoria. (Now, for me, that was easily corrected once I figured out how to edit character appearance, but, y'know.)

So I'm going to say it creeps up on you. Your brain is filtering out most of your body at all times.

"I was bought by One Direction" is not about a conscious sex slave kink ; it's often written by young teens that struggle with the beginning of desire, and (in sort of the same way as the old Bodice Ripper novels) need the excuse of 'i don't get a say in it, thus it's not my fault' to indulge.

Yeah, that's why I personally left it as "want to be a possession", since that desire can be final, in-and-of-itself, like as in a slavery kink; or it can be instrumental, like where being a possession is desired as it offers an easy excuse for being in sexual situations without bearing responsibility (and thus shame) for them. I think the majority of those kinds of stories are driven by that sort of thing, where the scenario is just desired, and the fact that scenario sorta needs these sexy characters to be doing something kinda evil is mainly skipped over.

There is definitely stuff that reckons with the characters doing awful things in owning another, for drama or angst or kink, but I don't think that's most of the stuff of the ostensible author being sold to their favorite band, at least not in a major way.

SIs where the authors make it clear or imply they don't want to be a doormat but at the cost of turning other characters into one(a doormat) or a yes-man.

Or characters that are advertised to be non combat (merchant, doctor, waiter, etc.) But then they turn to a frontline combatant and completely forget their actual profession.

Last edited:
Or Isekai characters who immediately go into vacation mode, gleefully telling everyone how much they love freedom, and hate jobs, and avoiding all responsibilities, while being completely dependent on everyone around them doing their jobs and actively taking on more responsibilities to their benefit.

Bonus points if they try to convince other people to act the same way, when the only reason it even halfway works for them is because of cheat powers.

Last edited:
Kink writing is kink writing, and so long as they don't do any harm with it in real life there's not actually a problem with it. If it grosses you out just avoid it (though feel free to complain if it's unlabelled).

This.

I got no problem with king writing. I got problem when kink is not listed in advance so I know of the writing will contain a kink I can't stand or just don't like.

Also the fact that Dune bothers to specify that sandplanktons fart out oxygen to give Arrakis a breathable atmosphere. That means if it shows you a planet with oxygen and doesn't bother to explain it, then it probably has plants.
"Plants", yes, but not necessarily land-based. 50% of Earth's oxygen production is down to phytoplankton (microscopic plants) in the oceans. And then you have macroscopic ocean-plants like kelp or seaweed too.

So, "several plantless rocky outcropping, and loads of plant-bearing oceans" is entirely plausible.

There was this canon where the supernatural exists but isn't officially acknowledged or the people involved in it really organized, and our protagonists are a group of previously ignorant people thrown face-first into it, so they invented a number of terms to help describe what they were dealing with.

My pet peeve here is where in fanfics everyone, including people not in their social circle who have been involved for years before the protagonists and have their own experiences, acts as though the words used by the protagonists are The Official Terms for the supernatural, rather than an ad hoc way of categorizing something more nebulous and avoid having to use "kind of like the time with the worms, except not really because this weird staircase is a completely different thing" every time something supernatural needs to be described. Like, one of the main characters used the term with a stranger for their first conversation and the stranger immediately acts like of course that's what is being discussed, instead of being confused and asking for clarification.

Yes, I know they keep using those terms in canon, but canon only follows this particular group and it's only used between members of the group and not with outsiders.

Last edited:
Typically those terms are given to the protagonists by a mentor or someone already experienced in the supernatural, not made up by the protagonists themselves.

People using Tiktok terms on AO3. Like your writing about [Your Name] being sold to insert popular boy band for drug money but you can't say the word Rape.

You can say kill, pedophila, Nazi, rape, and other words on Archive of Our Own

People using Tiktok terms on AO3. Like your writing about [Your Name] being sold to insert popular boy band for drug money but you can't say the word Rape.

You can say kill, pedophila, Nazi, rape, and other words on Archive of Our Own
"My name is Inigo Montoya, you unalived my father, prepare to die in minecraft"

Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like "Kids these days use all these stupid slang terms. Not like we did in my day, when we spoke proper English."

Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like "Kids these days use all these stupid slang terms. Not like we did in my day, when we spoke proper English."
Not really, I mean, people want writing to hold up to basic standards. And while rules can be broken, i f you don't know how to break them, you're gonna end up with egg on your face.

Thread tax: On the subject on SI fics, lots of SI fics with YouTubers don't carry the sprit of the YouTubers content. Hell, I could extend this by saying that SI fiction generally doesn't do this.

Back