Systems have always been sassy assholes that take pleasure from their user's suffering.

Assuming, of course, that he actually still needs meat. Gamer Body seems to have altered his hunger, and depending on how it's applying it
Well, so far it seems to be that Ken's hunger diminishes when he runs around killing zombies, but still exists should he think about it. This could be because gaining xp substitutes for actual food, or it could be a case of just getting a larger hunger bar as he gets stronger. Or it could be something else entirely, but it'll take us a while to figure out regardless.

It could also be that as he's becoming smarter he can ignore his base instincts and since he's dead he doesn't need to eat.
He could also just be transforming in "magical undead boy Ken" and just need mana to survive but still has some leftovers from his more mundane state.

It easy for me to find "Grocery Store". I just follow John-Meat's directions and see really big building. I see Kin standing in front of entrance. I smash real quick.

Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +10 EXP!

Request: Zombie Elimination

Oh, new Words. Not there when I smash Kin on way here. Is because John-Meat ask me do this? I make John-Meat teach words when done this. I finally know what Words mean soon! I laugh. Kin move away from me. Why? I follow them. Kin keep moving away. Stop. Stop moving, Kin. Kin please, lemme smash.

. . .

Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +10 EXP!

Whew. Much smashing! Take long time. Hmm. Big crowd of Kin around door in back. Kin try to get through door. Why? Meat in there? I find out.

12x Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +120 EXP!

I think I smash all Kin. Not see any more. Yes! Now, what in door? I try open it. It stuck. Hrm. I break it down. I try bat. Bat smash against door. Big "Thud!" made. I try again. Same thing. This not working. How do?

Ah-ha! I remember! I see big stick with sharp part in big red box… axe! Yes, axe in big red box. Maybe cut through door? I try it. I go get axe and come back to door. I put bat down on ground. I practice with axe. Different then swinging bat. Much heavier. But still good. I take big swing at door. Smash! Axe get stuck in door. I pull it out. Big cut in door. Progress! I do again until hole is big enough for head. I put head through hole. Should let Meat know if any here. "Here me," I say.

Oh! I see Meat! Tiny Meat! Not bad Tiny Meat who shoot me but even tinier Meat! Who know Meat get this small? Not me.

Tinier Meat have gun. Gun point at me. Very close to face. Uh-oh. That might hurt. Should talk. Meat not try hurt me when talked to them last time. "Hello." Tinier Meat have big eyes. Gun shaking in hands. Face all wet. Why?

"W-W-What are you?" Meat ask me. What is I? I is me. Easy question. I answer.

"I is me. Others call me Ken. You can too if want. What doing here?" Meat is quiet for time before answering.

"I-I needed to get some medicine for my Dad. He's really sick and he's got a fever. I found the stuff he used to give me when I had a fever but then all the zombies came and I got trapped in here."

Other Kin? Ha, I already smash them.

"No worry! Just you and me. I take care of other Kin."

"Oh… okay. Um, are you gonna' try to… e-eat me, too?"

I eat Tinier Meat now? Good question. Not feel Hunger, so no. What do about Meat though? Hmm. Take Tinier Meat to other Meat. Keep Meat in one place. That it. This good plan.

"No. You not on menu."

MENU

HP - 300
BANK – 2910 EXP
HGR – 2 DAY(S)
STR – 1 | (1000 EXP)
SPD – 2 | (1000 EXP)
STM – 2 | (1000 EXP)
SMT – 3 | (1000 EXP)

[ABOUT]
[OPTIONS]
[QUIT]

[CLOSE]

. . .

Uh. New Words. Go away now. I not see past you. Very distracting. Stop. End. Go away! Quit it!

Quit Game?
WARNING: You will be immediately killed by this action. Proceed?
[YES] / [NO]

Argh, stop it Words! No want more!

MENU

HP - 300
BANK – 2910 EXP
HGR – 2 DAY(S)
STR – 1 | (1000 EXP)
SPD – 2 | (1000 EXP)
STM – 2 | (1000 EXP)
SMT – 3 | (1000 EXP)

[ABOUT]
[OPTIONS]
[QUIT]

[CLOSE]

Now back to this again! Words you being annoying! Stop it! Get away! Stop being so close to me! Oh. Words gone now. Okay.

"So…"

Oh, that right, Tinier Meat still here. I tell her plan.

"I take you to place with others like you. It safe with me. I smash Kin who try eat you."

"That- that's, nice, but I really need to get this to Dad."

Who Dad? More Meat? Even better!

"Oh, it okay! I go with and take you and Dad to others."

"Well- why don't you wait here, and Dad and I will come back to get you?"

Tinier Meat being tricky. This very tiresome. Time put foot down.

"I not asking. You take me to Dad. I take you and Dad to others. That what going to happen. You like others place. Big wall. No Kin. Such gun. Much impress. You safe there."

Tinier Meat stare at me.

"Beside, you have gun! If I lie you shoot. What matter?"

I really want not get shoot. Hurts much! Hope Meat be reasonable.

"Uh… alright, I guess that makes sense."

"Yes! Is good. I promise."

I move face from door and step back ways. Tinier Meat slowly open door. Tinier Meat swallow nothing? What?

"Lead way! I follow."

"Okay, but just… stay far behind me, yeah?"

"Yes. I smash Kin who try eat you though."

"…Thanks?"

. . .

Much walking. Tinier Meat try sneak at first but I just smash any Kin so we just walk like normal. Meat quiet for long time but start talking.

"So, Ken, right?"

"That what they call me. "

"This is so weird. I never thought I'd get to talk to a zombie before. What's it like?"

"Not sure what mean. What what like?"

"The whole 'being a zombie' thing."

"Is what is. I do what need doing. What else is?"

"Saving me is something that needs doing?"

"Yes. If not save you, Kin could eat you. Very bad."

Very bad if I not one to eat Meat. How deal with Hunger then?

"Well, thank you then, I guess. You call the other zombies 'Kin', huh? That means 'brother or sister', right?"

"Kin mean Kin. Is what is. I always call them that."

"Any idea why?"

"…Not sure."

. . .

"Here's the place. Just, stay out here while I go get him." Tinier Meat tell me this while going up steps to building. That okay, I wait here.

Ho-dee-hum.

Not many Kin here.

Scream! I hear scream! That Tinier Meat screaming! Oh no! I run through door. Kin better not have eat Tinier Meat or I smash them extra hard for that! I find Tinier Meat in room with open door. Tinier Meat hugging much bigger Meat. Bigger Meat not moving. Not Meat anymore. Tinier Meat making noise again and again and face is all wet.

"Dad… Daddy… Don't leave me…"

Big Not-Meat-Anymore was Dad. Meat can turn into Not-Meat? This very bad. What if John-Meat or other Meat turn into Not-Meat? Less Meat for me. Must find out why Meat turn to Not-Meat and stop it. Oh. Tinier Meat sleep now. Must have been tired. I carry Tinier Meat to other Meat to not waste time here. Move Tinier Meat arms away from Dad. Small size mean easy to carry. I walk out of building with Tinier Meat over shoulder and axe in other hand.

Much to think about today.

Last edited:
Huh, so meat is only meat when it's alive. That's a problem for cruelty free farming.
Combine that with the fact that that his HGR stat is at 2 days, which I'm assuming means he needs to eat again soon, interpreting it as Hunger. So he needs to eat a person every two days or so, and he can't eat them piecemeal but have to do it in one go. Of course, it's been a while since he ate, most likely, but a fair guess would be a person per week, at minimum. And that's just if he's full after eating the one.

You're gonna need a pretty big community (for an apocalypse) to have a sustainable population with 50+ sacrifices a year.

We don't actually know whether Ken can sate his hunger by eating Not-Meat though. It's just that his zombie instincts aren't screaming "eat the humie" about corpses. Granted, it's not a promising sign that he's less enthused about dead bodies, but there's still hope. Also, the survivors are likely to demand he at least try a corpse or three before they'd agree to live sacrifices.

Also, my not so inner completionist has left me all but screaming at Ken through the screen for leaving four zombies left alive back at the grocery store. You were so close, dangit!

Last edited:
Will be interesting for the larger survivor group when Ken comes back with a little girl with him. Although, that will definitely get him brownie points for saving a little girl

Will be interesting for the larger survivor group when Ken comes back with a little girl with him. Although, that will definitely get him brownie points for saving a little girl
I am more interested in the fact that he will report back that the building is clear when there are 4 zombies left inside. That should come as a nasty shock to anyone trusting his word that the place is actually cleared.

Though, the survivors would be FOOLS to assume anyplace they have not fortified is actually clean of zombies.

That's one of the things I don't get about some zombie media. If its a viral type zombie outbreak it makes sense why they don't bother attacking each other they are mostly vectors of disease that only care about spreading.

But for Walking Dead type zombies where everyone is infected anyway why don't they eat their brethren?

I am more interested in the fact that he will report back that the building is clear when there are 4 zombies left inside. That should come as a nasty shock to anyone trusting his word that the place is actually cleared.

Though, the survivors would be FOOLS to assume anyplace they have not fortified is actually clean of zombies.

Let's be fair, when you're not prepared to face more unexpected zombies after cleaning up, you're not doing the zombie apocalypse right.

But for Walking Dead type zombies where everyone is infected anyway why don't they eat their brethren?
Probably it is actually the same as the first case but the living have a dormant or early stage version of the virus. Granted, Walking Dead zombies and the their virus are probably more like the Force and Midichlorians. You find a lot of the latter with the former but they aren't one causing the other. I mean, what kinda virus induced state enables the body to move after severe muscle degradation and allows the body to function without nutrients?

I dont body movement as in severed limbs moving, pretty sure that never happened, but that a severed head could go on with as much degradation as we've seen.

To be fair, cutting the numbers down to 4 from 132 is very good work and is saving them a lot of effort and danger, and I'm assuming that the last four are either hidden or stuck somewhere out of sight. Either way, the large number of dead zombies is proof enough of the worth of having him as an ally.

So far I like the idea of a zombie becoming sentient and viewing the people he is protecting as a larder for his food. Honestly? I would be interested in a non-gamer version. So far I don't see a need for the Gamer framework.

Maybe have Earth found by aliens at some point, so Kin can go expand his palate of Meat. Can't just eat only pork after all. Ya gotta have a nice chicken, maybe some fish, perhaps?

So far I like the idea of a zombie becoming sentient and viewing the people he is protecting as a larder for his food. Honestly? I would be interested in a non-gamer version. So far I don't see a need for the Gamer framework.

I agree with this. The Gamer is always fun to read but just the premise of a zombie becoming sentient and learning to co-exist peacefully with humanity for purely selfish reasons solidly holds my attention and is more unique besides.

Back