Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Words.

I know words.

I use words before. Before Hunger. I know many times I use words. I...

FatBaldBastard

Hentai Antagonist
Achievement Unlocked!
Long Pork. The Other White Meat.
Consume human flesh.

For gaining your first Achievement, you have received +1 to all Stats!

Words.

I know words.

I use words before. Before Hunger. I know many times I use words. I not use words now. Kin not use words now. Not after Hunger.

I look at Meat in front of me. Meat good. Meat tasty. Meat cold now. Hunger back now. Bad before. Better now. Quieter.

Nothing in alley now. Just me. I go. Find more Meat.

I leave alley. I see Kin near me. Kin are Kin. Some like me. Strong, tough. Good legs and good arms and good mouth. Some not like me. Bad legs or bad arms or bad mouth. Weak Kin. Poor Kin.

Bad for them. Good for me. Meat for strong Kin only.

No Meat here. Much Meat once, all places. Meat few now. Meat only once in much time. It okay. We go get Meat any place.

Much walking. It okay. Easy for me. No Kin here. Kin too slow. Not easy for me before. I better now? Weird. Good.

By walking a large distance, you have increased your endurance! +1 STM!

More words. What meaning? Dunno.

Noise! Not Kin moans! Meat nearby! I yell. Call Kin. Many Kin make easy Meat. Kin join me. Walk with me. Is good.

I see Meat. Meat see me. Meat see Kin. Meat run. Meat always run. Kin walk. Kin always walk. I run? I run. Yes. Is good. I strong Kin. I strongest Kin. Strongest Kin get Meat.

By coordinating your limbs for rapid movement, you have gained +1 SPD!

More words. No time. Get Meat. Meat close now. Meat not see me. Good. No. Meat hear me. Meat see me. Meat has big eyes.

"Oh fuck, when'd they start running?!"

Meat says words. I know Meat words? Later. Meat has stick. Bat. Yes.

"Let's do this, motherfucker!"

Meat stop running. Good. Meat grab bat. Meat swing bat.

HURT

Is fine. Meat tasty.

"What- Oof!"

I push Meat down. Grab Meat arms.

"Aw shit, no, not like this, no no no-"

Meat still talk? Why? Dunno. I bite Meat neck. Meat warm. Good. Taste better.

Meat scream.

I eat.

Lvl. 3 Survivor Defeated! +300 EXP!

Meat cold now. All gone. Hunger gone. Good. I not like Hunger. Hurt. I see bat. Bat hurt me. Bat hurt Kin. Bat hurt… Meat? I use bat hurt Meat? Yes? Yes. Yes! I grab bat. My bat. My Meat. All Mine. Mine!

Achievement Unlocked!
...Is A Good Offense.
Equip a weapon.

Last edited:
I swing bat. Hard to do. Meat make it look easy. Tricky, tricky, Meat. Kin near me mostly gone. Went find hiding place or find Meat. Some Kin like hiding and waiting and surprising Meat. Some Kin like walking to find Meat and hitting. Easy telling what Kin likes. Just look at Kin color. Dark green Kin hide, light green Kin walk. Sometimes colors wrong but not often. Easy telling Kin is Kin and Meat is Meat, too. Kin always green. Meat always not green. Simple.

Meat turn green slowly when become Kin, though. Hmm. Mystery!

I want try bat. How do? Meat no near me. Take long time finding Meat. Hmm. Ah-ha! Use Kin! I walk to Kin standing near me. Kin waiting. Kin always waiting or finding Meat. Is what is. This Kin is weak Kin, is missing arm. I hold bat on Kin head. Kin stares at me. Slowly raise up bat. Ready… now!

Smash! Ha ha! Kin head smooshed! Bat work well!

Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +10 EXP!

Achievement Unlocked!
Kinslayer

Destroy a zombie.

More words. Words, words, words. Why words? Words show up when I eat Meat. Words show up when I smash Kin. Hmm. Smash Kin again, words show again? I try it.

Hello Kin.

Smash!

Goodbye Kin.

Ha ha! I right! Again, again!

Smash!

More smash!

Smash again! Ha!

. . .

"Hey, Jake. Come take a look at this."

"Huh?" was the reply of the man reclining in the beach chair. A pair of aviator sunglasses hid his eyes as he nursed his beer under the harsh light of the afternoon sun. The breeze at his altitude kept him cool, at least. "Sup, dude?"

"There's a zombie down there beatin' the shit outta' the other ones," the man explained.

"…What? 'Lemme see." The man held out his pair of binoculars to his friend as he leaned against the rooftop railing. Jake set his beer down and tucked his sunglasses into his shirt before he accepted the offered gift. "Where they at?"

"On the left," he replied, pointing a finger. "Near that bus in the intersection."

"Oh. Oh, holy shit, you're right. Look at him go, damn. He's tearing through them. Big motherfucker, ain't he? Wha'dya thinks the reason?"

"The reason?"

"You know," Jake gestured with his right hand, palm held upward, as his left held the binoculars that he watched the zombie through. "The zombie. Going loco. Coo-Coo for CoCo Puffs. Whackin' it harder than a virgin on Friday night."

"Alright, I get it," the man chuckled. "Yeah, no clue, man. Maybe it's not actually a zombie?"

"Bruh," Jake turned to face his friend, visibly displaying his incredulousness, "the thing is baby-shit green. It's pretty obvious it's a zombie."

The man spread his arm wide open. "Maybe it's just a guy who took a bath in green paint?"

"Pfft, yeah. Why're you so against it actually being one?"

"Because it's beatin' the shit outta them with a bat. Deliberately. That's tool use. That's a sign of intelligence. And the idea of a smart zombie, that scares me, man."

"Oh. Oh, fuck me, you're right. That is kinda scary when you think about it, ain't it?

"Yeah."

Silence passed between the two men.

"Maybe it's friendly?" Jake offered.

"Heh, I wish I had your optimism."

"Well, whatever it is, hope Eddie down there has a good time."

"Eddie?"

"Eddie Stubbs."

"What?"

"Ah, you plebeian, " Jake said with a haughty tone, "you don't recognize the classics."

"Maaaan, fuck you," his friend replied with a smile.

Jake just laughed.

Last edited:
Huh. A gamer zombie. Man, I wish I thought of it first. Watched, definitely watched.

So what kinda zombie setting is this? Movie WWZ where the zombies run and climb? Resident Evil the home of zombies sci-fi? L4D with weird zombie mutations? The Walking Dead where the zombies are standard but the survivor was just bloody depressing? The more recent Days Gone where the zombies are basically mutating ants?

Well, I'm a real big fan of "Show, don't Tell", so I'm trying to sprinkle in little bits of info throughout the story without directly posting a loredump. Things like the characters remarking about the color of the zombies, the guy who got Merc'd in chapter 1 expressing shock at a running zombie, the exact wording of how the Game addresses the MC, etc.

But imma be real witchu fam I'm really flying by the seat of my pants on this so it could change at a moment's notice. I'm trying to make my own setting.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a real big fan of "Show, don't Tell", so I'm trying to sprinkle in little bits of info throughout the story without directly posting a loredump. Things like the characters remarking about the color of the zombies, the guy who got Merc'd in chapter 1 expressing shock at a running zombie, the exact wording of how the Game addresses the MC, etc.

But imma be real witchu fam I'm really flying by the seat of my pants on this so it could change at a moment's notice. I'm trying to make my own setting.
Just to confirm, the worldwide zombie apocalypse already happened, right? This wasn't just some national or regional thing?

I can see it now.
The Gamer-Zombie becomes intelligent enough to enjoy conversation right about the same time the human race goes extinct.

I'm betting more that smarter Zombie might try rating dead Zombie meat, may get plotkai over unlocking gamer zombie viral magic.

Either that, or ends up developing bites that transcend zombism and spirals to full blown vampirism.

Either way. I'd likely expect our Zombie gamer to likely seek out uh... the fatties, for the most amount of food.

Loved the chapters. Though I hope the MC doesn't defect towards the human side and just does his own stuff.

Loved the chapters. Though I hope the MC doesn't defect towards the human side and just does his own stuff.
I hope so as well, but I hope he doesn't just turn into a murder hobo zombie. I will also be slightly disappointed if it turns our that "humans" are all one faction. A good conflict has as many sides as it has actors.

There are some really interesting spaces to play with here where he can balance the realities of his situation with the resurfacing desire for social interaction that only the humans he hungers for can provide. The decisions about who to eat and who to save, the balancing of how he sees himself VS how he is seen by others...

Lots of cool spaces here. I eagerly anticipate where this goes.

Ha, ha, ha. Many Kin dead. Too funny. Same Words every time. Not know what mean. Know Words are words. Just not what words are. Can't read. Shame.

Hmm. Hunger not back yet. Is good. I not like Hunger. Hurts. Annoying. Why not back? Always back before I remember words. Always finding Meat or eating Meat. Nothing else doing. This new. Strange. Is nice though. No hurt is always good. Can think.

What next? Hunger will come back. Find more Meat then. Easy. Just do that? Me and Kin will eat Meat. All Meat we want. Meat make more Kin. More Kin eat more Meat. Simple. Easy. Me and Kin eat all Meat. And when no more Meat then…

Wait.

No more Meat! If Kin eat all Meat then no more Meat! No! Cannot be! What do?! How fix?!

Calm. I calm. Think smart, me.

I eat Meat. Kin eat Meat. If I or Kin not eat all Meat, Meat become Kin. More Kin mean less Meat for me. I need Kin? No. I strong enough without Kin. I know this. Smash all Kin? Less Kin mean more Meat for me. Ha ha, more Meat. I smash all Kin! Meat only for me! Hmm. But Meat still run out in end. How fix? Ah-ha! I remember! Meat make more Meat! Is genius! I smart. I surprise myself. Thinking is great!

For logically deducing your next plan of action, you have gained +1 SMT!

Argh! Head! Head hurts! Ow-wow-wow-wow. Why head hurt? Why? What Words say? New Words? Must learn how read. If Words hurt me, I need know what Words mean. How learn? Hmm. Meat knows. Okay. I learn Words from Meat.

Go over Plan. I smash Kin. Less Kin mean more Meat. Meat make more Meat. I eat old Meat. I have all Meat for all time. Meat teach me Words. Yes. This good. I smartest Kin ever. Hee-hee, I become Meat farmer. Is good plan. I proud of me.

Now, must find Meat.

Last edited:
That barbaric logic of Meat and Kin actually kinda freaks me out a bit. Well done, fat bald bastard. Shame it's a bit too short though.

Wonder what happens if he got more INT. Or was it SMT here? Intelligence actually made more sense as a stat than Smarts to me, so why did you pick SMT?

I wanted to avoid using the same attributes as the original manhwa. It's not a generic RPG game system.
Honestly, the problem with the manhwa was less about the Gamer system (they're bloody awesome is what they are) and more about the plot and how stale it is right about now.
So Zomboy over here is gonna become an advocate for sustainable farming.
Noice
Undead hordes and sustainable farming?

Ah great, now I remember Craster and his "wives". Goddamn it GoT why do you continue to traumatize me so?

This is pretty neat.

Kind of sucks for the zombie that it's getting notices that it can't understand.

I've seen a couple of stories that work around this in different ways. There was a medieval setting one where the peasant got pictures to help him understand since he had no way of learning to read, and 'A Bad Name' by Potato Nose over at SpaceBattles has the info boxes changing the wording into smaller and easier to understand words until he understands what it's telling him.

Got a name for that story?
Unfortunately no. It was only a few chapters long when I read it and I don't think I watched it for updates, so there isn't enough for me to remember the name of it. I mostly remember that the guy couldn't read so he had to figure out what he was seeing using the pictures next to the words and with how short it was he only figured out the bloody knife and the shield pictures (stats) determined how good he was with attacking and defending.

You might find it by searching through the gamer fics at fanfiction.net, but you would have to go through basically everything between 1,000 and 10,000 words to find it. That's my best guess for what word range it was in.

Last edited:
This, Jane decided, was totally not good.

The task assigned to her was simple. Travel to the location, scout it for any potential salvage, and return to the Fort with her findings. And for the most part, it went well. But then, she made a mistake; a very silly mistake that she should have known better than to make. Cutting through the alley to save two blocks worth of travel time had just been so tempting. She could see the exit from the entrance, even. These and other such reasonings were what she told herself as she traveled the narrow, enclosed path. Of course, those excuses did not help her when she suddenly found both exits blocked off by a cluster of zombies. It was not a deliberately malicious action, however it may have seemed; merely the misfortune of two wandering zed groups happening upon her. She knew firsthand that the zombies lacked the intelligence to even begin to coordinate something of this caliber, having exploited their stupidity over the many months of her service. Zombies, as she knew them, were slow and stupid - but not stupidly slow or slowly stupid - and thus could be avoided so long as one took care. They only became truly dangerous in massed groups or when one suddenly appeared in your personal space without you realizing it.

Now it was her turn to eat crow, for she had disregarded one of the cardinal rules of traveling through zombie-infested territory: do not entrap yourself in the environment. Which was why, as she unholstered her pistol, she was not looking forward to giving her debriefing at the end of this. A Scout was not intended to engage the Zeds. There was also the matter of her pistol's report, which would draw every zombie within hearing distance to her location. She would have to book it back to the Fort to avoid getting surrounded again. She mentally prepared herself for what was to come.

This was when reality departed from her expectations.

I looking for Meat. Much time since I make plan. I smash Kin where find them. Same Words each time. Ho-hum, ho-hum.

Ah-ha! Meat! Meat go in alley. Kin go in alley too. Stupid Kin, Meat is my Meat. I smash Kin with bat. Smash, smash.

3x Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +30 EXP!

More Kin at other end. I go smash them too. Push Meat out of way. Meat is tiny. Tiny Meat have big eyes. Like Meat I eat after remember words. Surprise. Yes, that. I is surprise.

Smash Kin. Smash, smoosh, smash.

4x Level 1 Zombie Defeated! +40 EXP!

None of her experiences prepared Jane for what she was witnessing. The largest zombie she had ever seen, at least seven feet tall, was annihilating the group of zombies by the alley's entrance. The shock of the sight left her fumbling for her pistol as the zombie finished its bloody work and thundered towards her. She had just brought her pistol to bear when the zombie shoved her to the side and into the alley wall, knocking it out of her hands. Jane desperately gasped for air. As she scrambled to grab her gun, she absently noted that the zombie had foisted itself upon the opposite group of zeds. When it had finished with them, it turned around to face her, stock still. She drew her pistol upon him, unsure as to what would happen next.

Silence passed between the two.

Just Meat and I now. I eat Meat? No, not Hungry. I get Meat teach Words. How do that? Hmm. Oh, must talk. I talk now. Here go.

"Ba. Ha ba ba. Ha ba ba da ga da. Ha ba ba da da ba," the zombie proudly announced.

Jane didn't have the slightest idea what to make of that.

THAT NOT WORDS! What doing, mouth?! Stupid, stupid! Speak good! Do again!

"Me… Kin," came the slow, unsure voice of the zombie. "You… Tiny… Meat."

Jane was horrified. It was one thing to go up against the normal zeds. They acted like dumb animals and they could easily be outsmarted. This thing was different. There was intelligence there. It talked to her. It called her Meat. It also called her short which she was kind of upset about.

So, Jane did the reasonable thing and shot the zombie between the eyes. Then she ran away.

Her debriefing would certainly be interesting.

CRITICAL HIT! -276 HP!

HURT! OW! MEAT HURT ME! WHY ALWAYS HEAD?! WHY?!

Last edited:
Hoooooo

Hooooo my god.

I love this fic too much.

It's so short but I never want it to end.

How do I already identify with a zombie that can barely think or reason?

It's so cute and so deadly at the same time.

EDIT:

Also, you ain't slick with that Wisdom Dog shit.

I caught it. I laughed, tho, cause it was funny as hell.

Back