Mandat de l'impératrice des Cieux - Imperial Princess Troubleshooter Space Opera Quest

While IR and IIR are used on warships, they're not very effective for long range searching due to sensor resolution being a problem (plus, this is where my combat model being 21st century naval warfare. Comes in. I'd say it's about as contrived as the Age of Sail in Space trope. :p) IR gives you bearing but not range, IIR needs you to have someone look at an image... these methods become more useful in the close range fight, where they're used along with EO and radar and LIDAR for sensor fusion to defeat ECM.
Yeah, if you want to go with that for the purposes of the game, that's fine, but it's not how it works in real life. Sensor resolution on IR is more than enough to track ships (though not target them) out to the edge of the solar system. IR may not give you range from a single sensor, but two or more will via parallax. You don't need a human (or kitsune) watching the image; this sort of analysis is entirely within the capacity of computer. IR may not tell you who is out there, but it'll absolutely tell you that a ship is there (and, if the target accelerates, it's approximate mass). So, e.g., Egon SDF should have known that Hang Tuah's CL flotilla did not arrive alone, at least as soon as the light from the initial emergence reached them.

Of course, having in-system FTL makes this a lot less relevant than it otherwise would be.

Yeah, if you want to go with that for the purposes of the game, that's fine, but it's not how it works in real life. Sensor resolution on IR is more than enough to track ships (though not target them) out to the edge of the solar system. IR may not give you range from a single sensor, but two or more will via parallax. You don't need a human (or kitsune) watching the image; this sort of analysis is entirely within the capacity of computer. IR may not tell you who is out there, but it'll absolutely tell you that a ship is there (and, if the target accelerates, it's approximate mass). So, e.g., Egon SDF should have known that Hang Tuah's CL flotilla did not arrive alone, at least as soon as the light from the initial emergence reached them.

Of course, having in-system FTL makes this a lot less relevant than it otherwise would be.

Yeah, I'm basically taking current 21st century naval warfare and transplanting that IN SPACE! :p IRL, nobody uses IR (heatseeking) to detect warships because it's just not reliable enough (yes yes, I know it's because the atmosphere degrades IR sensor resolution :p) and IIR (Imaging Infrared) is basically thermographic videography, hence you've got to review that sensor footage, which is why pretty much every long range maritime patrol aircraft has a surface search radar because that lets you do area search a whole lot faster than IIR. In reality yes, this wouldn't really work: in the vacuum of space, you don't have the atmosphere in the way to degrade the effectiveness of IR. At some point computer image recognition is going to get good enough that the AI can look at a slew of images and identify the warship from the merchant shipping, but that's a long way off...

Fun fact: Lockheed Martin and Kongsberg/Raytheon claim the LRASM and NSM missiles are smart enough that the missile can look at the target visual with the IIR seeker, compare that with onboard database to verify it's a warship instead of a civ ship, and even use the onboard database to pinpoint the optimal point to attack, instead of just going center mass like Harpoon and Tomahawk. (I'll believe it when I see it tho :V)

tbh the only thing hard in this quest is Johnny's pp for Maggie :p :V

As I understand it, there's two things you're focused on in this quest. One of them is military/political strategy, the other, is Saltmeister Loggie's romantic fencing matches with a woman also doing romantic fencing where neither have figured out that they are racing towards the ending where they ring and ding into a new house being started.

(I'll believe it when I see it tho :V)
I don't think you'd want to do that. Either it means you're on a civilian ship and it completely failed to identify correctly so you are in serious trouble... Or you are on a military ship and about ot be in serious trouble. :V

That said, I can believe that they'd be able to do that. The question is how reliable are they at doing so and how much does the needed hard and software increase the cost of the missile. :p

As I understand it, there's two things you're focused on in this quest. One of them is military/political strategy, the other, is Saltmeister Loggie's romantic fencing matches with a woman also doing romantic fencing where neither have figured out that they are racing towards the ending where they ring and ding into a new house being started.
I actually forgot that Young-joon's pp was hard for Kana. Ironic, given it led me to my first infraction in I think 2 years? 3 years? can't remember already after the first 400 points it all becomes a blur... :V

Breakfast Confessions and Probing
18 Jun, Buntoku 1

How we got here?

- Took hvy TF to factfind in Egon
- Found pirates
- Triggered 4FLT response
- No Sumeragi landgrab - lack of smoking gun to justify - deal w/repercussions later
- Unofficial complaint by COM 4FLT to 3SL about factfinding
- Disclose acting under VOHM
- 3SL wants meeting w/HM, SET TOMORROW TUESDAY (19 JUN)

Plan of action

- Private breakfast in kitchen w/Shiki, Uncle Johnny & Ahri not an option, must be more formal
- Arrange w/stewards, more formal & private breakfast. Table service? Courses? Get options & review & decide.
- HM verify VO to 3SL, COM4FLT.

Shiki & his posture - something to hide? Probe further YES/NO?
- Approach how? Aggressive?
- Gentle?
* Risk of spooking him? What is he concerned about?

* Topics to ask:
-- Comberth situation? Posture? Shiki why
-- drive sig mismatch? refits?
-- sensor buoys? He's paranoid enough for that
-- civil war kickoff?
What does he know that I don't???

- Mandat de l'impératrice des Cieux -

[X] Plan Fast Probing :V
-[X] Yes, Probe Shiki Gently
-[X] 3 months

"Let's go with a three month duration, Daniel," you decide. "I'd like to have you around more - I suspect I'll have greater need of you by my side in the coming days."

"Understood, ma'am. I would be remiss if I didn't warn you that three months might not be enough time to develop concrete results."

"I understand. Perhaps this: come back at the end of those three months and report to me your findings, and we'll see if we should extend the investigation further? Also, when you return in three months, let's revisit your thoughts about expanding the investigation team."

"That would work, ma'am. Then, with your leave, I'll head out."

"Thank you, Daniel. Please let me know if there's anything else you need, for the mission and your family."

"Thank you, Your Highness, I appreciate it."

"As do I, you."

- 女王之天命 -

Truth be told, you're feeling a certain temptation to just let sleeping foxes lie. But in the end, you can't let things be. You need to know what's going on with Shiki and 4th Fleet. Heedful of Fleet Admiral Chew's words, you'll moderate your approach. Shiki is a friend, and you want to rebuild that strained relationship - probing him aggressively will be counterproductive. A gentler approach should yield the results you desire.

You arrange for Shiki and Uncle Johnny to meet you and Ahri discretely for breakfast. This time around, you've roused Ahri and supervised her dressing - you don't want a repeat of the last time she came down to breakfast. She's chosen to emulate you today, wearing a smart skirt suit, accessorised with elegant, tasteful jewelry from the Empress' rooms - you're not a fan of Sumeragi-style ostentation. She poses for your inspection, and she smiles radiantly when you express your approval of her outfit. As you exit the Empress' rooms, you pause and face the mirror in the corner, the one that Auntie Kana used to do her makeup. You stand there, in the stillness of the empty room, and you imagine you can feel her presence; for a moment, it's as if you're a little girl again, looking up to the brilliant, magnificent Empress Kensei, your aunt who you admire.

"I'll take care of her for you, Auntie," you whisper. "I'll train Ahri to be an Empress you can be proud of."

You don't get a reply, of course - how could you? But you stand there and close your eyes, and you imagine her approving nod.

- 女王之天命 -

Today's breakfast meeting is an affair a touch more formal than the intimate family breakfast you had two weeks ago; the dining room has been laid out for a multi-course meal with servants in attendance. Just four places are set at the table: Ahri at the head, you at her right, and Uncle Johnny and Shiki on her left. She stands, waiting expectantly to receive her guests; you stand to her left and behind her, and you give a brief nod to Uncle Johnny and Shiki, as they enter and greet Ahri. Uncle Johnny bows formally; Shiki goes down to one knee. Ahri greets them charmingly:

"Welcome, Lord Shiki, Sir Yonatan. Please, join me at my table."

To your satisfaction, Ahri plays the role of the charming host to perfection - your work with her is bearing fruit. Her servants lead Shiki and Uncle Johnny to their places, serve them, and Ahri makes pleasant small talk as breakfast progresses. The stewards are efficient, professional, performing the tableside service with quiet aplomb, clearing the breakfast courses in a silent, precise ballet. Uncle Johnny takes this performance in stride; Shiki is surprised and flattered that the Empress has deigned to have him for breakfast. All is proceeding according to plan.

By unspoken accord, the meal comes to an end, and a serious air fills the room. As excellent as that breakfast was, none of you are here for the food. The stewards pour tea and then retreat, leaving the four of you alone in the room. Ahri fidgets nervously. Shiki's poker face has a pensive air. Uncle Johnny just leans back, nursing his tea. Ahri looks to you, and takes a deep breath.

"Thank you for meeting me today, Fleet Admiral Chew, Admiral Kanda," she begins. "I've invited you all today to clear the air regarding a matter that occurred some weeks ago, namely Vice Admiral Akasha's fact-finding mission to the Egon System."

Uncle Johnny nods to her encouragingly, and gives Shiki a pointed look; your friend stills his tongue.

"I received indications that untoward happenings were taking place in the Egon System," Ahri continues. "I therefore ordered Vice Admiral Akasha to investigate the matter and report back to me. I left the matter of the forces she chose for her investigation to her discretion, as I have the utmost confidence in her. I understand that you have some concerns in this matter, Fleet Admiral?"

"Not really, Your Majesty," your mentor demurs.

"Please speak freely, Fleet Admiral Chew. I value your counsel and your wisdom."

"Yes, ma'am," he says, his expression taking on a sterner air. "While I see no issue with Vice Admiral Akasha acting at Your Majesty's behest, the manner in which she executed Your Majesty's orders led to friction with other loyal naval officers. In less fortuitous circumstances, the resulting friction might well have escalated into more severe circumstances." His expression relaxes. "Nevertheless, that was not the case in this instance; we shall all take this as a reminder that Your Majesty's admirals must act with greater judiciousness, as befitting their rank."

"Thank you, Fleet Admiral," replies Ahri. "Vice Admiral Akasha was obeying my orders; as such, her actions are my responsibility. It is regretful that the situation has escalated outside...your expectation. Please, accept my apologies, Fleet Admiral Chew, Admiral Kanda."

You're stunned silent. The Empress never apologises. This is a tremendous breach of etiquette. Uncle Johnny merely leans back, nursing his tea. Shiki is visibly uncomfortable. "Please, Your Majesty need not apologise to us," he replies. "Your Majesty was acting within your rights, and we as your loyal subjects are obliged to obey. Your wish is our command."

"It is true that I am the Empress, and thus have the right to command the obedience of my officers." The Empress pauses, gathering her thoughts. "But it is also true that as Empress, I have a responsibility to my officers. I have been found wanting in that regard. I must continue to improve, to become an Empress deserving of the loyalty you gentlemen have shown me. I ask for your patience and for your consideration in this regard." She bows, and Shiki makes a horrified, strangled noise of protest at this faux pas: the Empress bows to no one. You feel your own heart skip a beat, and your lips part to protest, but Uncle Johnny stands up, silently gesturing at you and Shiki to remain as you were.

He faces the Empress, and bows, a gesture no less perfect than that which Ahri performed, and when he speaks, his voice is unexpectedly gentle. "Your Majesty. You honor us with your faith in us."

Ahri swallows, and nods to Uncle Johnny, and you breathe an internal sigh of relief. You remember what Daddy told you: "Loyalty is a tricky thing. Loyalty to an idea, loyalty to a person… take the Dowager Empress. Hyung was loyal to his oath as a naval officer, even though he hated your royal grandmother. Loyalty to the Empress as an idea. Salute the rank, not the person. But that loyalty could've been weakened, if the right person got to him. But that wouldn't happen if you were the Empress, because Hyung's loyalty would be unshakable. Loyalty to his oaths, loyalty to the Empress, loyalty to you, because he loves you. He would walk into hell for you, and thousands of his people would follow him, and their people would follow them. Loyalty flows both ways."

With your own eyes, you've seen it in action, the way Fleet Admiral Chew builds relationships and inspires loyalty. Yes, you think. You need to help develop that for Ahri. By showing her as she is, a girl who's made mistakes but is trying to learn, a girl out of her depth, a girl the opposite of her martinet grandmother, you hope to build a more personal connection between her and Uncle Johnny. If you can keep him on Ahri's side, you can be sure that a good portion of the Navy will remain loyal to Ahri, at least until he retires.

You make a mental note to explore ways of keeping Fleet Admiral Chew on duty and in his position. For the Empress' sake.

- 女王之天命 -

The meeting ends on a more optimistic note than when it began, and you breathe a mental sigh of relief. Uncle Johnny and Shiki are mollified, Ahri has made personal inroads with them, you can finally put the repercussions of the Egon fact-finding mission to bed. Now for the second item on your agenda. You catch Shiki's eye and nod to him, then rise and bow to Ahri.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty. With your permission, I would have a private word with Lord Shiki."

"Of course, Princess Yui, you may be excused," Ahri replies. "There are matters I shall discuss with Sir Yonatan."

You and Shiki exit the dining room, closing the door behind you. You lead him through the Empress' apartments, to the kitchen where Uncle Johnny cooked breakfast, weeks ago, having him sit at the island. Shiki remains silent, staring inscrutably at you, as you fix him his favorite coffee - mochaccino, heavy on the chocolate. He raises an eyebrow as you set it in front of him.

"I thought you did nothing wrong," he says accusingly. "And if you were going to apologise, shouldn't we have gone somewhere fancier? Where actual artisans make the coffee?"

"It's a down payment," you smile. Shiki sighs, and softens, picking up the mug and taking a sip. He hides his expression, but you know him, he's making that little quirk of his lips that means he's suppressing a smile. He's always liked it when you make him his favorite coffee.

"You've got an ulterior motive. You only make coffee for me if you're trying to butter me up."

"Is it working?" you ask, smiling disarmingly. Shiki just shows you his poker face, clearly waiting for your move.

You sit facing him, your expression serious. "I took Sensei's words to heart," you say, reminding him of Uncle Johnny's parting remarks. "I remember when we would tell each other everything. I just thought we should clear the air between us."

Shiki takes another sip of his coffee, pensive. "I suppose I do owe you that much, since you revealed you were on Her Majesty's business. Ask your questions."

"Shiki, what is the situation in Comberth? Why is your posture like this?"

"Posture? What is the correct response to a warfleet appearing on the edge of your AO, then?"

"Shikie, I do understand your concerns if it was one of the Great Houses, but it was a loyal Imperial Navy warfleet entering Egon."

"I can't see IFF from jump wakes, Yui. What's the more logical assumption: one of the Great Houses is shitstirring, or a Navy fleet decided to make an unscheduled invasion exercise without informing anyone? Come on. You brought a battlefleet to audit a local PMC and jammed them on arrival. That's the action I expect from someone trying to provoke an incident."

You incline your head, acknowledging his point.

"But I'll tell you what you didn't see. Sumeragi and Hoou are building up. Sumeragi's been aggressively buying ships from the mothball reserve and has been trying to edge my ships off patrol duties so that they'll have grounds to demand access to military intel channels. So far I've managed to keep them out of my more sensitive intel sources, but they already have access to civilian reporting channels."

Shiki leans back, sighing wearily. "Which is why you're super lucky that nobody managed to report your stunt before Himeno got over there.

"Now Hoou. Hoou has been building up in response to Sumeragi. Ironically, or perhaps not, it's mostly due to the Imperial-enforced neutral zone between them. Both Great Houses still claim it as their rightful territory, and with Sumeragi constantly making intrusions and attempting to assert their authority over it, Hoou has to do the same or look weak. So I'm burning optime chasing them off.

"Fortunately, Hoou just seems to be fortifying their border and trying to deny Sumeragi access to some of the richer border systems, which sort of works out in the Navy's favor. But we're starting to see both Houses pushing heavier units into the neutral zone, which means I have to use larger patrols to chase them off, and it's getting to the point where I need to start using my capships. The way things go, we're going to end up with battleship squadrons and their screens posturing at each other."

He shakes his head, his poker face slipping, and you can see the strain and frustration in his eyes. "And that's why I've been begging Sensei for heavier units. They're wearing down my fleet, putting more wear and tear on my ships. Even if half of the incursions are by older second-line ships, I still need to respond, and ultimately Hoou and Sumeragi can sustain their optempo better than I can. I don't have a Great House's economy backing up my fleet, just whatever budget Admiralty House sends my way."

"Sensei told me that you were asking for reinforcements, but I didn't realise things were this way." You purse your lips. "If I had known, I wouldn't have acted as I did. I should have let you know, then it would have been a joint mission in fact, not in name. I'm sorry." You take his hand and give it a squeeze, and for the first time in days, you can see Shiki begin to relax.

"It seems you're concerned about a civil war kicking off. Is there something you know that I'm not aware of?"

"You've read Li Zheng's book back in the Academy, didn't you? "The Empress' Great Game"? Now that we have a new Empress, that game's on hold. The previous Empress kicked the bucket while she was getting shit done, and the new Empress won't take her throne for another two years. The Regency is in charge and the Imperial House no longer has any soft chokehold on the Great Houses. The IRG won't lift a finger to act outside Takama-ga-Hara, which leaves it up to the Navy to cow them into submission. This is the best time ever for things to fracture.

"Then the Navy itself... Well, let's see. I trust Admirals Fedorov and Ramos to stand by Her Majesty until they're dead in the same ditch as me. Sensei will also rather die swearing than turn. Your father will follow Sensei's lead, as will the rest of his gang. Kitingan …I don't really trust that frog, I think he's loyal only because our two Fleets were a gun to his head - but now 13th Fleet is being disbanded, so who knows what he's thinking? Not sure about the rest... And Toth. I don't trust Toth. He keeps asking for more ships, even when we're reallocating battleships. Why do you need battleships to hunt pirates? It makes no damn sense. I know he's our classmate, but keep an eye on him.

"Now consider this. If Imperial power relies on the Navy, and the Navy is not fully reliable..." Shiki inhales, letting it all out in a drawn-out sigh. "When somebody revolts, there's going to be a cascade. Consider the size of the Navy with the constant draw-downs and mothballs. 4th Fleet in the Divine Founder's reign could have punched all the way to Kagatsuchi and demanded terms. 4th Fleet today is a shadow of itself: I can only probe Sumeragi's defenses. I can't even capture a salient, let alone all their territory, and forget about punching straight to their capital; by the time I get there, if I make it to Kagatsuchi, 4th Fleet will have been shot to pieces on the way. It's the same with all the fleets, even 1st Fleet and 13th Fleet. The Navy is tiny. Yes I need the ships, but Sensei made a mistake disbanding 13th Fleet."

"I disagree, Shiki. Am I disappointed to lose my command? Yes, especially because I don't know if I'll ever get a command with the same stature as 13th Fleet-"

"Yui, please, you're obviously destined for big things, you're an Imperial princess. CMPB will never stick you in bad posting."

"-but I think Sensei made the right call. It's better for the Empire to have more loyal ships dispersed throughout the stars."

"Sensei's problem is that he thinks everyone is as loyal as he is," Shiki scowls. "There is a very real possibility of Admirals deciding to go rogue. That means Navy loyalists will have to put them down - we can't rely on the IRG, we have to take care of our own business. And when we pull ships to go deal with them, we're gambling that the Great Houses won't get ideas while we're distracted."

"And we have to show everyone that the Navy can clean its own messes," you agree sourly. "Otherwise the Navy loses face and respect, and then the service's position becomes less tenable."

"Precisely. That's the reason 13th Fleet exists, as a mobile reserve to quell rebels, but now..." he sighs tiredly. "What's done is done."

"Is that why you're refitting your ships? I notice the drive signatures aren't the same on file."

"Yes," nods Shiki. "It all comes back to 4th Fleet not having enough ships to handle Sumeragi-Hoou posturing and regular patrols. Two years ago, we could get by just with single destroyers to patrol the neutral zone and shipping lanes; now I've got to send out my ships in squadrons. I'm using four times the ships to do twice as much work.

"Most of my refits are geared towards maintainability and patrol requirements - I'm trading away armor and missile load for a smaller logistical footprint and more speed. Obviously this isn't what a battlefleet should be doing, but our primary opposition is pirates and..." he pauses, hesitating, and then he looks you in the eye. "Pirates and ducal forces. Outside of Sumeragi and Hoou's regulars, I'm gambling that they're not ready to fight me head-on. If any one noble gets ideas, I could slap her down. But if they all start seconding their forces to Kagatsuchi and Shironia, if they all start stirring up trouble all along the border... I don't have numbers on my side now. Regardless, I need to match my fleet's capabilities to the current environment.

"As for the drive signatures... I don't have enough engineers to constantly re-scan my ships and update the registries. Besides, jumbled up drive signatures frustrates Sumeragi and Hoou intelligence, so that's a side benefit at least. If you press for it I can have it done, but don't expect it to happen overnight."

"I see," you reply. "Thank you, that clarifies a lot of my concerns. I was wondering about something: TF Soyeon entered Egon under deception jamming, then we jammed VSS, and had control of their comms. And yet, within two days of our arrival, Commodore Muryutou is sailing for Egon. Did you seed your AO with sensor buoys?"

"I am not at liberty to disclose any intelligence assets I have," says Shiki, a blank look on his face. "Suffice to say, I will neither confirm nor deny that I can see large scale fleet movements within 4th Fleet's AO."

You return that look with a raised eyebrow, then nod. "Fair enough," you allow. "I understand, it must be difficult for you, being caught between Scylla and Charybdis."

"Tell me about it. If either side uncovers their systems to steamroller the other, I can't stop them, and my ROE doesn't allow preemptive strikes to spoil their attacks. Best I can do is watch for fleet movements and meet them as they enter the neutral zone."

"Now I have a better appreciation of your constraints. Shiki, it's clear you pay close attention to my assets. Is there something about me that you are watching for?"

"It's not you specifically I was paying attention to," he demurs. "I'd have acted the same to any Admiral who spread their tails in my house and tried to provoke an incident."

"That's not true," you shake your head. "I was waiting for a formal complaint through official channels. You didn't have to meet privately with Sensei and I, nor give me a chance to explain myself."

"I owed you that much," he says awkwardly. "After all we've been through, how long we've known each other… yes, I was mad, but I felt I should hear you out."

You feel your heart softening. This man is a king. Your friends are truly the best, you don't deserve them at all. Truly, friendship is a treasure beyond measure.

You swallow a lump in your throat, and smile fondly at Shiki.

"While I might not have a fleet right now, is there something I could do for you, to show that you and Sensei have my full support?"

"Refit my fleet at the Imperial Family's shipyards?"

"Done."

"I was just kidding," Shiki backpedals, and you smile.

"I know. So was I. Those kinds of requests aren't your style."

"What I'd really like would be to have more ships, and heavier ones at that," Shiki sighs. "I'm right in the middle of Hoou and Sumeragi, and I don't want to wake up one day and find they're chewing me up from both ends on their way to frontstab each other. But in lieu of that… more open communication, please. We need to keep our eyes on the other fleets. Share intel with me, talk to me, tell me what you're doing and please don't surprise me. I don't like going off-half cocked when it's about you."

"On one condition," you say. "We have to make this a two-way street, Shiki."

"I'll fluff your tails if you fluff mine," he agrees, and you smile and squeeze his hand again.

"Is there anything else you need?"

"I need you to trust me," he says, and your heart flips at his pained expression.

"Oh, Shiki," you say, covering his hand with both your hands. You hold his hand tightly, squeezing it supportingly. "I have always trusted you, from the first day we met. That has never changed."

Shiki sighs and blinks, and you feel the air softening around the two of you. You squeeze his hand.

He squeezes back.

- 女王之天命 -

With the probing out of the way, the topic turns to lighter conversation. You make Shiki another moccacino and a Milo Dinosaur for yourself, and you sit and chat the morning away. It's like familiar, comfortable, pleasant, like you've never left each other's side. You've spent many an afternoon with him, just sitting at a cafe and talking about nothing and everything. Shiki teases you about your lack of marriage prospects, while you console him about being stuck militarily between Sumeragi and Hoou, and romantically between Lady Akagi and Lady Taihou. It's a little mean of you, but you can't help laughing at his panic when he learns that both of them are on Jinko-Sei for Regency Council business.

You will never cease to be amused at how Shiki not only caught the eye of the heirs to rival Great Houses, but was also childhood acquaintances with both of them. Truly, the universe is vast and full of mysteries.

In the end, Uncle Johnny and Shiki take their leave. Ahri is disappointed to see them go, and extracts another promise from Uncle Johnny to come and have breakfast with her next week. You're pleased about that: she evidently enjoyed her chat with him, and it'll be good for her personal development to interact regularly with Sensei, the man who shaped you. She shakes their hands and thanks them for indulging her with their time and sends them off; behaving not as an Empress with her subjects, but like a young girl with her older sister's uncle and friend. Yet another item for you to work on with her. Still, at least it was with Uncle Johnny and Shiki. They'll be discreet - and it's safe for her to be Ahri around them, instead of Empress Meigyoku.

At last, it feels as though the repercussions of the Egon fact-finding mission are finally behind you. It wasn't perfect, but on the balance, you think that things went relatively well. Shiki has been placated, Sensei isn't going to tear off anybody's heads, Ahri has made inroads with Shiki and Uncle Johnny, and you've got leads for investigation.

You've sent Daniel on his way to Fenghuang space, along with Major Ueda's team, and now you'll just need to wait for his full investigation results in three months' time. He'll send you weekly reports, of course, but nothing beats a thorough report in person.

You decide that for the next three months, while waiting for the investigation result, you're going to work with Ahri and focus intensively on one aspect. Her education in all facets of rulership will continue, of course, but you want to really strike while the iron is hot and get things moving.

What subject do you want Ahri to intensely focus on for the next three months? (Will advance chosen subject by 4 points, other subjects by 1 point)

[ ] Social Decorum
[ ] Political Etiquette
[ ] Constitutional Law
[ ] Crisis Management
[ ] Governance

Ahri's present level of knowledge:

Social Decorum: 1/20
(how well the Empress maintains her image and presents herself)
Political Etiquette: 4/20 (how well the Empress navigates political realities and ramifications)
Constitutional Law: 1/20 (how well the Empress understands statute law, unwritten convention, rules & procedure, and rights and priveleges of the Senate, Executive, and noble houses)
Crisis Management: 0/20
(the Empress' training & acumen for crisis management)
Governance: 0/20 (the Empress' theoretical understanding & practical application of rulership)

- 女王之天命 -

Last edited:
Hi all. After seven months, we're finally back. Ree COVID (and ree the last month of crunch, and the nonstop drama and computer troubles).

As usual, Vote moratorium is in place, for 36 hours . We'll open voting at 0100 GMT on Thursday, 5th November 2020. (I'll try to figure out how to scheduled voting later. :V)

Ok... so powderkeg is a powderkeg is a powderkeg.

Things aren't going to blow up immediately but we're teetering close to the point of no return. The question becomes how we teach Ahri and give her the tools to weather the storm that comes.

So... @Whiskey Golf do correct me if I'm wrong:

Social Decorum - How well Ahri can maintain the image of the Empress.
Political Etiquette - How well Ahri can navigate the social side of politics.
Constitutional Law - Ahri's understanding of the empire's governing laws as well as the rights and privileges afforded to the noble houses.
Crisis Management - Self explanatory.
Governance - Ahri's ability to actually use her accumulated knowledge in leading the empire.

Last edited:
That went well. Yui seemed to think Shiki was telling the truth, and given she's SSS Politics, I'm inclined to trust her on this one. (We may say such things as her friendship with Shiki blinding her and the like, but at that point we're in a null state, so to speak.)

Offhand, I'm thinking either Social Decorum or Constitutional Law - it's still a bit before she can be expected to govern, so giving her a grounding in appearance or law seems like a good use of time? I'm inclined to the latter myself, but I'm willing to hear arguments for other choices.

Ok... so powderkeg is a powderkeg is a powderkeg.

Things aren't going to blow up immediately but we're teetering close to the point of no return. The question becomes how we teach Ahri and give her the tools to weather the storm that comes.

So... @Whiskey Golf do correct me if I'm wrong:

Social Decorum - How well Ahri can maintain the image of the Empess.
Political Etiquette - How well Ahri can navigate the social side of politics.
Constitutional Law - Ahri's understanding of the empire's governing laws as well as the rights and privileges afforded to the noble houses.
Crisis Management - Self explanatory.
Governance - Ahri's ability to actually use her acumulated knowledge in leading the empire.

Pretty much you nailed it on the head, with just a further nuance that Political Etiquette isn't just the social side of politics, it's about understanding what you can and cannot do politically. Going back to the start of the quest, she didn't understand the political ramifications of appointing Yui as Vicereine or taking her on as the Imperial Regent.

Anyway I've gone and edited the statlist at the bottom to add them explainings for each subject. 👍

Last edited:
[/] Constitutional Law
If we're going to keep the powderkeg from erupting, we need an Ahri who does in fact understand the laws that bind her Empire, ideally before she truly gains command of them.

Last edited:
I'm unsure if constitutional law or crisis management is the better pick. Since frankly, governance is less necessary right now.

I'm unsure if constitutional law or crisis management is the better pick. Since frankly, governance is less necessary right now.
Presumably they all compound somehow. That said, assuming things don't go immediately tits up I agree we can leave governance till later. Personally I'm leaning towards doing one more Political Etiquette before starting on Constitutional Law.

20 is the goal per subject, 4 in the chosen subject, 1 in the others...
4+1+1=6, 20+20+20+20+20=100
100/6=15, so we can at best fill this in 15 turns if we play our cards right. Assuming the pattern holds true no matter which subject we pick...
If we did one in each subject we'd get 6/20 in all subjects. a repeat would be 12/20, a fourth would be 18/20...But all this is a house of cards- it assumes the pattern from this turn holds, it assumes that we don't take actions that alter that pattern because I bet that's possible, and it's also possible we can take such actions and not be informed of the change to Ahri's learning when it occurs.

It feels like the narrative has been highlighting her issues with decorum an awful lot. I'm not sure if that's a hint from the DM.

The Empress never apologises. This is a tremendous breach of etiquette.
She bows, and Shiki makes a horrified, strangled noise of protest at this faux pas: the Empress bows to no one.
I wonder why. I mean, yeah, I can figure easily enough that head of nation need to maintain dignity, and that as personal embodiment of nation, actions and words of an Empress can equal the nations, so must be husbanded carefully.

But there are times when things like what's the English word for this? Humility? Humility in a lofty figure can be used to great effect. They are also in private setting, if not informal private, which should allow for lessening constraints a bit.
"Is there anything else you need?"

"I need you to trust me," he says, and your heart flips at his pained expression.

"Oh, Shiki," you say, covering his hand with both your hands. You hold his hand tightly, squeezing it supportingly. "I have always trusted you, from the first day we met. That has never changed."

Shiki sighs and blinks, and you feel the air softening around the two of you. You squeeze his hand.

He squeezes back.
This is so sweet.

I repeat, this is so sweet.
You've spent many an afternoon with him, just sitting at a cafe and talking about nothing and everything. Shiki teases you about your lack of marriage prospects, while you console him about being stuck militarily between Sumeragi and Hoou, and romantically between Lady Akagi and Lady Taihou. It's a little mean of you, but you can't help laughing at his panic when he learns that both of them are on Jinko-Sei for Regency Council business.

You will never cease to be amused at how Shiki not only caught the eye of the heirs to rival Great Houses, but was also childhood acquaintances with both of them. Truly, the universe is vast and full of mysteries.
Man, LOL, I don't know where to begin.

So! Despite Yui's narration I don't think Ahri's breach of etiquette here is a bad thing. I think that's useful in making herself more endearing and sincere. Even Shiki's mortification I don't take as a bad thing - sometime the effective way to lead a talk is to stupefy the other person. So, I think that's she's doing well in this update. Now, 'know the rules before you break them' is a saying for a reason, so she does still need to improve her decorum's a lot. You can also say, that's the fact she managed to hit some success point is a good reason to intensify the lesson to capitalize on that.

Hmm, putting decorum aside for a moment. Between the other four, I think Constitutional is what we should go first.

It makes me wary that her crisis management is 0, but even if we choose it now, we are still going to toast anyway if great crisis suddenly hit next update. So its not really useful to make priority right now, especially because crisis management ability doesn't work for much without actual management ability.

Poli Etiquette is the highest at the moment so we can skip it. Its also something that can only be enhanced by understanding it laws and customs so if choosing Law will be helpful toward this as well.

Governance, well, this is the end goal here. But I think we need to improve the fundamentals first.

So I lean between Decorum and C. Law. Maybe more on C. Law.

One, we need to brush up the little fox on Social or Political ettique. A young Empress shoud be at least decent at this 2, other topics can wait

Two, we need to sic our comrade Shiki on both Ladies. Sure, blood will flow, but not ours.

Ahri needs to be better at social, methinks, as she's making quite a few blunders. Maybe understanding political ramifications of her actions as well, lest she does something silly there too (again?).

I find it amusing Shiki has gotten the romantic attention of two shipgirls great house heirs, much like you commonly see in romantic comedy anime and manga. Both brunette too, with the main difference being bust and height, far as I can tell from artwork.

Wait what? Shiki arguing in favour of keeping 13th intact? I'll admit that one was unexpected.

Interesting to see the lowkey warlord vibes Toth had in the initial character blurbs are apparently A Thing; though honestly given he's way the fuck out on whichever frontier I'm not sure how much of an immediate strategic problem he'd actually be. A long-term one sure but if the balloon does go up, he'll need to both consolidate his position and punch through a Great House's turf to be an issue for the core. Hm.

As for smol empress, kinda tempted to say Social Decorum, but that Governance score desperately cries out for some work.

Back