Mandat de l'impératrice des Cieux - Imperial Princess Troubleshooter Space Opera Quest

I wish going to say 'oh hey more than 25 votes, so how about that lemon, whiskey? :V' and then we got this. Not the quite the fruit I was told in the scuttlebutt, but i guess its juicy enough in its own way :lol
I'm like the Ubisoft Store trying to sell you the Deluxe package when you've already bought all the Season Pass things :p

But eh, I suppose if there's enough demand I can do the lemon

....probably. >.>

Remind me again, who are the Varangians? <.<

So the Byzantine Roman Emperor decided that getting stabbed in the back by his own dudes fucking sucked, so naturally his plan was to recruit barbarians from waaaaay the fuck outside the empire to guard his ass. He ended up paying for Vikings, who then proceeded to be the best heavy infantry on the Med until the Ottomans moved in.

Edit: they were kinda expensive tho and got to loot the palace when the emperor died tho so like hope you didn't like that thing of money you left lying around.

Last edited:
There's also the fact that he refers to the Imperial Royal Guards as Guard Command, as opposed to the more commonly used IRG.
... either we just knocked over the weeb version of Apocalypse now or there's some Colonel Hunter Gather's shit going down.
Lee looks at you, then looks at the Guardswoman. You shrug your shoulders, while the Guardswoman just blinks. You can swear that was a pattern to how she blinked. Lee just sighs and replies, "Well, unless you want to accuse me of forging sensor data next. The last year's worth of readouts show that we have been dealing with at least four destroyer sized vessels. At the very least, they have military grade radars and countermeasures, not to mention that the drive outputs are putting out vastly more energy than anything we can see from crash converted civilian freighters."

He pulls out a specific file. "This is after they tried to orbitally bombard Egon with a heavy cruiser. Which we drove off using civilian grade weaponry." He throws it at the Captain and the report lands with a thud right in front of him. Both men lock eyes and stare at each other, wordlessly trying to kill each other using their eyes, it seems.
Ok, we can rule out Apocalypse Now.
A soft cough interrupts whatever else Lee has to say. Captain O'Farrell, Lee and yourself glance over at the Guardswomen, sipping daintily at the bottle of tea placed in front of her. She looks up and meets all of your gazes in turn. "We would be derelict in our duties to the Empire if we were not ever vigilant, watching everyone and everything. None are above suspicion." Soft spoken as it was, you could tell there was weight behind those words. "Such as how certain words, interpreted in certain ways, can be deemed as betrayal." She shoots a look at Lee and you see that he's pale as a sheet, his confidence shaken. "Of which you should know the price." She smiles toothily, her fangs visible against her lips. "Of course, I am only joking, much as our mercenary commander is."

Lee just laughs nervously. "Yes, I was only joking."
Whelp. O.S.I it is.

Oh god, if we made a mess of an op run by the local Brock Fucking Sampson.
You resist the urge to put your helmet on; politeness dictates that you talk to him face to face. "Boss, you called for me?"

Lee stubs another cigarette into the already filled tray and sighs. "Yea. I did. Remember how that you are second in charge? In the next six months or so, you will be learning to do what I'm doing, just in case, you know, if I get promoted to customer or something."
Oh fuck.

He is Brock Fucking Sampson!
You shake your head. "No not that, I would like to know the reason why you think you would be leaving the company soon. Given that you plan on giving me more responsibility and work, it would be nice to know why."

He sighs. "Yea, I suppose that's only fair, no? So first of all, some disclaimers. I can only tell you vague things. Most of it will be true. But do not try and dig into things, lest you draw the wrong kind of attention. Swear this to me."
And we are dealing with some Hunter Gathers gone-off-the-ranch-to-do-good conspiracy!
"So if you probably haven't figured things out by now, I used to be a Guardsman. Our friend the pretty Guardswoman basically passed me a message from my mom. With the current situation as it is, she would be more comfortable if she had people she could trust on hand."
We're about to recruit Brock Fucking Sampson.

Whiskey, I love you.
He pulls out his wedding photo. "Yea let me finish. You can obviously figure out that yes, I shotgunned my wife. But can you guess her family affiliation?"

"She's a noblewoman?"

He smiles sadly. "If only. If she was just some random noblewoman, none of this would have happened. She's the heiress of a Sumeragi cadet branch. Now you probably want to know who is involved but for the safety of my family, there will be no names mentioned. Hell, if you want to sell me out, please do so to House Sumeragi. At the very least, they have no plans to kill me."

He laughs. "Because, I quote my wife, 'the wolves of Hagoromo make great pets when properly house broken, my family is not one to squander such a precious gift.' She means I'd make a very good trophy husband."

He grimaces. "On the other hand, parts of the Guard would just kill us all. My wife for being related to a Sumeragi, my daughter for the same and myself for bedding the enemy." He pauses. "Though at this point those same parts of the Guard are probably more unhappy over the fact that I killed five of them as my resignation."
Yeah, totally writing that love letter.
So to summarize, we now know we need to acquire us some Varangians. Great. Glad to see imperial politics are the same no matter where the fuck you go.
Remind me again, who are the Varangians? <.<
So the Byzantine Roman Emperor decided that getting stabbed in the back by his own dudes fucking sucked, so naturally his plan was to recruit barbarians from waaaaay the fuck outside the empire to guard his ass. He ended up paying for Vikings, who then proceeded to be the best heavy infantry on the Med until the Ottomans moved in.

Edit: they were kinda expensive tho and got to loot the palace when the emperor died tho so like hope you didn't like that thing of money you left lying around.
Few pieces of missing info, for context sake:
1. They were pretty explicitly based on the Germanic Guard, the Italian-Roman empire's version of the same concept: Foreign soldiers above local politics and nobility given unique privileges.
2. There were two kinds of Varangians, as that was just the Byzantine and Rus term for anyone from the Scandinavian countries who came down to swear themselves to the Byzantine Emperor. Most of them served in the professional army, and only a few ever joined the Guard itself.
3. The Varangian Guard were always the last to abandon any overthrown emperor, and thus became a symbol of legitimacy and the emperor's commanding of 'barbarians' as much as a practical tool of political control. They only abandoned their loyalty when one of the Palaiologos emperors' threatened to revoke their special pay and replace them with mercenaries.
4. Basil The Bulgar-Slayer just hated politics in general and spent most of his reign on campaign smashing shit.

Or that he's probably just there trying to making a living in the only way he knows how.

Not everything is a plot point you know?

Yui will be very cross if Guard decides that she's better candidate to the throne than Ahri.

On one hand I'm a little disappointed that people didn't see the little shoutouts I made, then I remember it's 3am in the US. Oh well, maybe tomorrow then. :p

... either we just knocked over the weeb version of Apocalypse now or there's some Colonel Hunter Gather's shit going down.

Ok, we can rule out Apocalypse Now.

Whelp. O.S.I it is.

Oh god, if we made a mess of an op run by the local Brock Fucking Sampson.

Oh fuck.

He is Brock Fucking Sampson!

And we are dealing with some Hunter Gathers gone-off-the-ranch-to-do-good conspiracy!

We're about to recruit Brock Fucking Sampson.

Whiskey, I love you.

Yeah, totally writing that love letter.
Technically he's not Brock Sampson on account of looking like those fat dudes you see in eromanga :V And no, we're not recruiting Lee - and even if we tried to recruit Lee, the women in his life (i.e. his Sumeragi foxwife and his mother) take priority over Yui. And well, his wife wouldn't really take kindly to him serving Yui over her. :V A fox may have many men, but woe betide the man who tries to have many foxthots :V

Yui will be very cross if Guard decides that she's better candidate to the throne than Ahri.
This is the part where I remind the thread that the IRG very obviously assigned Major Nakahara to Yui to be the IRG's eyes and ears first, Yui's liaison officer second, and thus is the paranoia ramped up. :V But, I mean, I thought it was obvious.

Also the problem is that Yui pretty much is the better candidate for the throne. She knows it, the Guard knows it, Ahri knows it.

Last edited:
He fingers the dagger. "She gave an ultimatum. Two ways I can avoid such a terrible mess, she said. Gut myself like a fish or finger my then uhh…. baby mother as the person responsible for everything that went wrong, they disappear her and everything is hush hush."

He mimes having a pistol on a free hand. "I drew the pistol that I was given and shot that bitch. I then proceeded to fulfill my part of the deal."
So I am confusion. Baby mother? Who did Lee shoot? First I thought he shot his wife but she is still alive.

So I am confusion. Baby mother? Who did Lee shoot? First I thought he shot his wife but she is still alive.
What he means by shotgunning his wife is that he knocked her up. Y'know, shotgun wedding. :V

The person Lee is talking about here who he shot is a superior officer who had oversight on the mission he was on that went bad, with him being the only survivor; she offered him a choice between committing ritual suicide to avoid an inquiry and "atone for his mistakes", or blame his Sumeragi babymama for the mission getting FUBAR'd and throw her under the bus, whereupon the IRG would disappear her into foxthot Gitmo (at best).

This is Word of God territory, but basically, when Lee was in the IRG, he was Rabid Foxes, i.e. IRG SF. He went in with his team on a counterterror mission, and it ended up with him and this heir to a Sumeragi cadet branch family being the only survivors, stuck in a lifepod drifting in space for days (I mean, he did say as much in the update itself, but Lee's elocution isn't quite as fine as Yui or Johnny's.)

It was very boy meets girl stuff :V

Last edited:
It's probably only 'boy meets girl' if you could sit down for men's talk with pre-Mithril Sousuke Sagara and not feel too awkward after five minutes...

...but sure, you can call it that.

Dang, I almost had it right. I pegged him as undercover active-duty. Not retired in Exile.

I'd say this was an extensive backstory for a guy who's probably going to be a minor character who isn't see much after this, but it does give us an inside view and just how Byzantine in the most literal sense and messed up the Empire's internal politics and factions are. And a nice stern reminder of what exactly Yui is dipping her fingers into as she tries to operate at the top of the snake pit.

Groovy to see this back. I think...
[] Plan Seagram

Edit: oops, missed the vote. Oh well. Still good to see it.

So to summarize, we now know we need to acquire us some Varangians.
Well... if our personal/household budget extends to comfortably refitting the entire 13th fleet... what, 120+ naval ships?

Just how many Periphery oops Outer Rim Clans oops Merc companies could we sustain, I wonder.:V

Last edited:
Groovy to see this back. I think...
[] Plan Seagram

Edit: oops, missed the vote. Oh well. Still good to see it.

Well... if our personal/household budget extends to comfortably refitting the entire 13th fleet... what, 120+ naval ships?

Just how many Periphery oops Outer Rim Clans oops Merc companies could we sustain, I wonder.:V
i mean you could try, but this is the sort of thing that tilts the IRG into arresting you under ISA and tossing you into foxthot gitmo. Detention without trial, do not pass go, do not colloect 200 fox dollars. Because, y'know, it looks like you're creating a private army to overthrow the Empress.

Remember, it's true that Salt Admiral needs your fleet split up to assist loyalists... bit it also true that disbanding 13th Fleet removes takes away your fleet that is loyal to you.

...althouh to be honest, I mean, if Yui ends up in gitmo I can still roll with that. I just move the quest to QQ and title the sequel as "I was an Imperial Princes but now I am Prisoner 6969 and must survive prison where everyone wants to feast on me sexually". :V

or we swap POV to Salt Admiral and begin Salt Admiral Quest: Salt is Unbreakable, i.e. "My Niece got herself arrested and now I have to unfuck the Navy and the Empress alone and resist my wife's seductive tilting advances."

shit, he already thinks of her as his wife, he's gonna autofail every roll to resist tilting :V

....i will confess to feeling the temptation to reboot this quest and start over with Salt Admiral and his Salt Adjutant foxwife because salt flavors things :V

[X] Present. You can play a role in her education and life, to a reasonable extent. You're giving up a certain degree of independence, but you're not completely chained to Ahri.

Voting to get lemons cos that's the kind of cancer Whiskey promised me

overthrow the Empress
Nooo! We were only assembling them to protect our beloved cousin-sort of niece imouto-semiadopted daughter slumber party tail brush chan Empress!
It's a... strange and complex, uh, familial relationship at play, alright.

But while the proposal was a joke, my thinking was actually from that angle of the 'protect the Empress best we can'. Like the Byzantine Emperors who found that in forces from outside the Empire, outside politics, outside the highly political IRG.

Anyway. We know the Great Houses have extensive military forces, but what about the Greatest House? (Yeah, I went there, suck it Sumeragi). Does House Akasha have similar holdings and forces, outside its existence as the Imperial House? If so, is the Empress also the 'head of the family' and able to direct House Akasha and it's forces in the same way as Lady Sumeragi does hers, say?

Last edited:
Nooo! We were only assembling them to protect our beloved cousin-sort of niece imouto-semiadopted daughter slumber party tail brush chan Empress!
It's a... strange and complex, uh, familial relationship at play, alright.

But while the proposal was a joke, my thinking was actually from that angle of the 'protect the Empress best we can'. Like the Byzantine Emperors who found that in forces from outside the Empire, outside politics, outside the highly political IRG.

Anyway. We know the Great Houses have extensive military forces, but what about the Greatest House? (Yeah, I went there, suck it Sumeragi). Does House Akasha have similar holdings and forces, outside its existence as the Imperial House? If so, is the Empress also the 'head of the family' and able to direct House Akasha and it's forces in the same way as Lady Sumeragi does hers, say?
The IRG serves the multiple roles of Empress protection, protecting the Empress' holdings of Takama-ga-Hara (a litle over twice the number of inhabited developed systems thst Sumeragi has), serving an equivalent role as the house forces, kempetai spying on other people memes, and a whole shitload of things that i keep meaning to put into the infodump doc (that I keep forgetting to write). Which, again, is another Sumeragi salt; their forces are just ducal forces having authority only in their area, but that bitch Hagoromo jumps up her household troops into becomming a force standing on the same stage as the Imperial Defense Forces (Army, Navy, Marine Corps). You don't see the leader of the Sumeragi ducal guard sotting on the Regency Council, but there you see Baroness Tarisa Manandal, Commanding General of the IRG.

That said, outside the IRG, you'd have the various planetary defense forces. Each planet is going to have its own LE and security forces - the IRG and IN's job is tomfight the space battle. But the PDFs dont have power projection into space, they're meant for planetary garrisons not going off invading people. (Will talking about the Imperial Police Force in a later date. tl;dr Fox Mounties/FBI.)

tl;dr: outside of the IN and the IRG the only forces the Imperial House has are the local PDFs. But even then there's a whole civilian vs military chain of command thing going on. Hagoromo was fairly progressive by oir and fox standards and was a believer in the idea of civilian control of the military, but not really a believer in the idea of the empress having direct control of the military. Mainly because after the war of founding she didnt want even more work, she wanted to have some time to play with her husband and her figurine collection, as opposed to no time. :V

Alas Sumeragi aren't quite as progressive as thst and so you have the case where the current sumeragi Grand Duchess and her daughter have never had any military training but could directly command their forces in battle. rip.

Also if you thought familial relations were weird, like, there's also the matter of Ahri ineptly trying to seduce Yui in the last update, which Yui was completely oblivious to. I want people to keep thst in mind when rereading her convo with Salt Admiral where she complains nobody is romantically interested in her. :V

Last edited:
That said, outside the IRG, you'd have the various planetary defense forces. Each planet is going to have its own LE and security forces - the IRG and IN's job is tomfight the space battle. But the PDFs dont have power projection into space, they're meant for planetary garrisons not going off invading people. (Will talking about the Imperial Police Force in a later date. tl;dr Fox Mounties/FBI.)
Call me a sucker for Star Wars, but I can't help but wonder what the line is on things like anti-orbital missiles/guns/whathaveyou.
Hagoromo was fairly progressive by oir and fox standards and was a believer in the idea of civilian control of the military, but not really a believer in the idea of the empress having direct control of the military. Mainly because after the war of founding she didnt want even more work, she wanted to have some time to okay with her husband and her figurine collection. :V
Gotta have every version of Saber, ya know?:V
Also if you thought familial relations were weird, like, there's also the matter of Ahri ineptly trying to seduce Yui in the last update, which Yui was completely oblivious to. I want people to keep thst in mind when rereading her convo with Salt Admiral where she complains nobody is romantically interested in her. :V
... I at least have the consolation there's someone even more oblivious than me.:V

Call me a sucker for Star Wars, but I can't help but wonder what the line is on things like anti-orbital missiles/guns/whathaveyou.
Generally ground based weapons reach up to lower and mid earth orbit, and are primarily anticipated to be used against incoming dropships: any warships that control the orbitals can just move out of range of your ground based weapons and bombard you from orbit. This is why the IMC has "fighters", as does the Imperial Army Aerospace Corps, with the main tasking in IMC and IAAC use being to 1) secure air superiority against enemy fighters, 2) perform SEAD/DEAD missions against enemy air defenses, and 3) provide CAS to the ground force once it's engaged in combat (though that is generally the task of dropships). The typical air element for an orbital assault will see a mix of fighters, dropships and gunships.

Or, because unlike so many other authors, military doctrine in this verse is inspired by the 21st century, as opposed to the Age of Sail, we're talking analogous roles to the F-35B, MV-22 and AH-1Z in USMC service.

Gotta have every version of Saber, ya know?:V

To be more accurate, my mental image of Hagoromo is Tamafox.

It's a bit of a legend lost to the mists of time, but the Imperial Family actually owns the Senyum Baik Company, which makes various figurines and things. Hagoromo made them an offer they couldn't refuse and bought them a few years into her reign :V

Generally ground based weapons reach up to lower and mid earth orbit, and are primarily anticipated to be used against incoming dropships: any warships that control the orbitals can just move out of range of your ground based weapons and bombard you from orbit. This is why the IMC has "fighters", as does the Imperial Army Aerospace Corps, with the main tasking in IMC and IAAC use being to 1) secure air superiority against enemy fighters, 2) perform SEAD/DEAD missions against enemy air defenses, and 3) provide CAS to the ground force once it's engaged in combat (though that is generally the task of dropships). The typical air element for an orbital assault will see a mix of fighters, dropships and gunships.
Oh right. Never really picked up shields weren't a thing in this story. That's an important detail to know.
Or, because unlike so many other authors, military doctrine in this verse is inspired by the 21st century, as opposed to the Age of Sail, we're talking analogous roles to the F-35B, MV-22 and AH-1Z in USMC service.
*laughs in stealth*I can't wait for Space!Russian salt.
To be more accurate, my mental image of Hagoromo is Tamafox.

It's a bit of a legend lost to the mists of time, but the Imperial Family actually owns the Senyum Baik Company, which makes various figurines and things. Hagoromo made them an offer they couldn't refuse and bought them a few years into her reign :V
Ok, I'll bite. Did hubby buy "Groundwork Labs"?:V

Back