Lieutenant General Gundam

All the setting-important stuff in the story is reiterated elsewhere anyway; it's not necessary for anyone to watch MSG. At least Origin ditches most of the goofy stuff, but it's no longer the start of the story and it's certainly not the most compelling part of the story.

The thing about the original Mobile Suit Gundam is that appreciation for every other story in the Universal Century setting, especially the One Year War, is more significant if you've seen it - having seen the original TV series and the movie trilogy myself, the effect is quite pronounced compared to when I never saw it. Even if it's reiterated elsewhere, it's different when you see it as it is personally.

The fact that the basic story of the Gundam has kinda been recycled once - for the ever popular Gundam SEED - shows that there is an audience, beyond the fact that UC as a whole is just an extremely popular setting.

Besides, when have TV shows and the like ever been "necessary"? We watch something because we want to, not because we "need" to, and I want to see the story of Mobile Suit Gundam remade with modern animation and in HD. It'll also help in introducing the story that started it all to a whole new generation who might (and have) been turned off by the original TV and movie's horribly dated animation.

Put another way, I don't think The Origin can replace the original. Liek it's not the same story in the first place. It's Yas' personal interpretation, an as good as it is - it really is one of the best manga I've ever read - it's still just a supplement. To that end I don't think a remake of the original is desirable or needed. Parts of what made it great have literally passed away. Narita Ken does a great job as Bright in Unicorn, but can never replace Suzuoki.

Like part of this is that Gundam is a franchise that relies upon, and builds on history. Many great stories have been told with the franchise, but could only be told because the franchise has history itself. Like Unicorn works in part because it is about the Universal Century, an ode to Gundam's history both inside and outside the work.

Original Gundam is worth watching just because Tomino struck his best balance between all things there. He doesn't make it apocalypticly bleak, but it's not a happy place; his characters are flawed and human, but not people you have to struggle to put up with for the sake of the story; he doesn't shy from killing characters he's built some sympathy for, but he doesn't do it every time or in a way that comes off as manipulative towards the audience. It may never rise as high as some of the others, but it never falls as low either.

Put another way, I don't think The Origin can replace the original. Liek it's not the same story in the first place. It's Yas' personal interpretation, an as good as it is - it really is one of the best manga I've ever read - it's still just a supplement. To that end I don't think a remake of the original is desirable or needed. Parts of what made it great have literally passed away. Narita Ken does a great job as Bright in Unicorn, but can never replace Suzuoki.

Like part of this is that Gundam is a franchise that relies upon, and builds on history. Many great stories have been told with the franchise, but could only be told because the franchise has history itself. Like Unicorn works in part because it is about the Universal Century, an ode to Gundam's history both inside and outside the work.

The aggregate nature of UC is good (although it can also be bad, given how 'full' it is of the same stories) but not necessary to find any of it compelling. Unicorn is some of the best scifi, even if all you know about UC is 'there was a big war and the Nazis lost'. :)

The idea that people 'should' start with a show as ugly and goofy as MSG, or that this is a good and effective way to get people interested in the themes of the stories, just sounds like people arguing about how to watch Fate/Stay night to me. People can watch cool shows that they like, and UC has plenty of cool shows... they're just not all from the 70s. This is why Origin is so entertaining to me, because by reframing things we get a wholly different experience, and that shows how theme carries over past specific narrative.

Last edited:

Battlelogue may be a blatant commercial even by Build Fighters standards, but it is also super fun.

Also, PV:

To quote my thoughts basically, half an hour of GBFT Island Wars, bored as all hell and unimpressed with the Gunpla.

Eleven minutes of Battlelogue? REVERSIBLE MUST GET, that machine has just about everything I want in a mobile suit right up to shield-blade-guns with a side-order of rocket claws. The Blu Duel style flip-over twin beam guns is a nice touch too.

I'm hoping it's got good strong joints because there are but so many times I can endure my 1/144 Flauros' top and arms falling off no thanks to those ball-connectors.

To quote my thoughts basically, half an hour of GBFT Island Wars, bored as all hell and unimpressed with the Gunpla.

Eleven minutes of Battlelogue? REVERSIBLE MUST GET, that machine has just about everything I want in a mobile suit right up to shield-blade-guns with a side-order of rocket claws. The Blu Duel style flip-over twin beam guns is a nice touch too.

I'm hoping it's got good strong joints because there are but so many times I can endure my 1/144 Flauros' top and arms falling off no thanks to those ball-connectors.

I think it's because it's more tactical then the MAOR PAWAH thing in the Island Wars OVA and because it gets what it wants to achieve in just 11 minutes.

Don't forget that over the top power up of friendship and putting neko ears on a gundam.

The Nyaia Gunpla are cute, adorable and will rip your throats out with beam sabers and fish! ~ :D

The power of friendship though, I got nothing. I think my strainer of disbelief snapped somewhere around the part the Kamiki Burning started absorbing its allies and created the giant gold SD.

Last edited:
what the shit am i looking at here

The ZGMF-X222Nya Nyaia Gundam from Build Fighters Amazing. The builder and fighter is Yana Kuramochi, Yuuki Tatsuya's maid. Her Gunpla have a theme of being able to transform into cats.

The above though is a fanart of a box art for it though, if I'm not mistaken, there are conversion parts for it however.

Suddenly, thanks to this episode, I'm thinking of McGillis piloting a Bael variant customised with some of the Freedom's weaponry.

...Don't judge me.

I love how he noticed that Ribbons and Amuro have the same VA. :V

The seiyu joke level was through the roof. Ikeda wasn't available for some reason, so they had Seki Toshihiko sub in for him. That would have been funny back when Seki had only voiced Rau Le Creuset, but it's doubly funny now that he supplied the voice for the original Char Aznable.

The seiyu joke level was through the roof. Ikeda wasn't available for some reason, so they had Seki Toshihiko sub in for him. That would have been funny back when Seki had only voiced Rau Le Creuset, but it's doubly funny now that he supplied the voice for the original Char Aznable.

In other words, instead of being a Char Clone in terms of archetypes, he was a literal Char Clone thanks to technology.

You mean he's now the original Char, and the original original Char seiyu is now the real first Char clone, so there's a ton of levels to the 00 joke. It made me feel smug about being a nerd. :V

Back