My W key is, in fact, broken. It's the reason I've not been running any of my uests for months.

I feel like I'm constipated. I can't rite at all like this. It sucks. Lots. I hate it. It's miserable. I enjoy riting, and I can't. I kinda ant to cry.

I really appreciate that you took the time to anser me, by the ay. Thanks
EDIT: Also I think your W key is broken.
If you are running any Windows based machine there is a built in program called osk.exe (on screen keyboard).
At worst case you could place the cursor and click the 'w' on it

The reason is honestly just that they have wagons of infinite electricity and they got kind of complacent about it.
Heh, well now at least she is in a position to write it up as a flaw in the procedures, one that put her charges in danger for the lack. She will feel it is a necessary thing to protect the officers in her charge by keeping the soldiers able to defend them.

Someone (I forget who) suggested these crab-servitors being designed by the robot lady doctor as some sort of "show them all!" Which is plausible enough on a techbase level, but I feel it doesn't fit the collection of tropes this is playing to. That feels like a more H.G. Wells or Juelles Verne vibe, whereas this seems to be clustering around "exploration adventure story IN SPACE!!" vibes.

I'm guessing that they could eventually find some way to create a machine mind with enough cognitive plasticity (or whatever you would need) to adapt to non-human bodies or senses (like extra arms or the ability see in ultraviolet or whatever), but I would think that would involve a lot of trial and (probably pretty unpleasant) error.
I'm reasonably certain that they already have enough cognitoplasticity to be able to do that. I mean, Old Theo is running vintage 1800 processing hardware having upgraded through several different "this is the bodyplan that's currently In Style", right? And I think Sketch mentioned that Beatrice would sometimes have extra arms attached to make certain kinds of sewing projects easier.

So presumably the kind of adaptation that would be required is a) different from "mere" "I have a slightly different shape and my arms are longer/shorter now" style adaptation, and b) more involved than "I have complete control of this novel extra limb, can tell where it is in space, and use it without difficulty".

"Captain Murray, this is Lieutenant Fusilier, we were just engaged by a section-sized element of enemy skirmishers. They threw themselves at us trying to take us down, I think they might have reinforcement coming from behind the line." I said.

"Say again, Dora, the weather is playing havoc." Murray replied.

"... I think we're about to be attacked from the rear. Either coming up the riverbed or down the cliffside." I repeated, staring up along the edge of the riverbed. Down the riverbed made the most sense: we'd be able to see them from a long way off and potentially fire as they moved up, so they'd want us out of the way. Wasn't the only possibility though: a fifteen meter cliff was a lot, but we'd just seen it wasn't impassable when they wanted it to be.
...They're going to come from the fucking gate, aren't they? That's what the control box is for. It's on a timer or a remote starter or something, set up to go off some ways into the battle.

(Or at least, that's what the Crab's plan is based around. It may or may not work depending on the condition of the gate and what's actually on the other side.)

Without looking back, I stepped through the gate, and the light blinked out behind me.
Oh. Or that, sure.

"Right, Kelly, don't touch them with bare skin. They're made of lead."

"... poisoned bullets. Good God." he muttered
Mmmmuahahaha because of course they've long advanced past that! Ha! I love this setting!

We were sure what exactly we ought to do with our prisoners, or indeed if they were prisoners.
Probably should be "weren't sure", which is how I'm going to read it unless corrected.

Like most horses, you could just push the vehicle in a direction and it'd do minor navigation for you, keeping course or following roads, and you only really needed an active hand to check your course or make corrections at higher speeds.
This is insane. Like, "no wonder denizens of 40k refer to machine-spirits" insane. Like "we can just about barely do this on a well-maintained road in real life, with wicked-expensive cutting-edge top-of-the-line cars with all the features enabled" insane.

Like yeah, of course organic horses can do that, but to do it with a machine? And Dora's casual mention implies that this has been ubiquitous for so long it's not worth thinking about!

I feel like maybe I need to go lie down and Have A Think.

"My mother loves horses. We have a whole hangar full.
Also this casual reference to what is, to me, a staggering amount of wealth. It's one thing to see references to common-to-ubiquitous Exotic Sci-Fi Technology and be told that this is a post-scarcity society where it's totally plausible for a family to own their own planet. It's quite another to see a random character who's not even depicted as particularly wealthy casually refer to what I'm used to seeing as a gratuitous and ostentatious display of wealth!

(yes, my kitchen is a wreck, don't judge me, the chicken pot pie was amazing)
I'm not judging you, I just want to know why there are Star Wars Legos in your kitchen of all places.

"Um… it is a large building which houses very important families and their staff." they said, looking a mite bit confused.

"It means palace, Lydia." I said, and she broke out into a smile writing it down.
Palace, Castle, fortification... I feel like there should be more synonyms I could pull out but I'm blanking.

Okay, I think I'm on the home stretch now. I'll see you all again after I catch up with myself!

Darn it, Dora still hasn't actually done all that much exploring. I'll have to stow that joke for later.
...Unless "emotional" counts, but that's kinda iffy.

well, out-of-her-depth infantrybot intent on functioning as diplautomat, & painfully earnest PFY aide-de-bâcle
I. Love. These. Puns.

I looked to Milly, who looked away strangely, mirth in her eyes.
Apparently everyone but you can see that you're interested in each other, Dora. Might as well give up and go with it :)

Well, looks like basically all the allos in the thread were right about Dora and Kennedy. We really, really didn't see that coming. Kind of funny how we saw no substantial evidence and most people here seem to have been taking it as a given.
...Huh. You know, it's interesting that you say that. Because on the one hand, I'm not sure I saw anything that, like, made me think they had chemistry or whatever. There's absolutely nothing I could point to that would make me say "these two go well together". I could not say why, for example, I identified the "absolutely everyone but you" referred to earlier as such, beyond maybe "Designated Love Interest".

On the other hand, I am absolutely 100% certain that I identified these two as They Are Being Written As The Ship. (Maybe with a Love-Interest-Off between Lt. Kennedy and Beatrice.) I'm not sure how much of that was contextual, like if I wouldn't have noticed it if not for knowing that Sketch writes unabashedly queer stories or if I noticed everyone else reacting like that and went "ah, that is indeed the case". But that's... that's a thing.

Basically I think I somehow picked up the idea that some sort of romance subplot would be inevitable, and given that then Lt. Kennedy was the incredibly obvious choice. But absent that assumption I am not at all sure that I would have pegged it.

So this is... Something for me to think about I guess.

With all that considered, I knew what I had to do. I took all those feelings, all that confused attraction, and I buried it. The feeling drifted away, and with it a great weight, all the confusion and anxiety replaced with a clarity of purpose.

"It's alright, Milly." I said.
Wait, what? Nooo! Booooooo! You can't set all that up and then also shoot it down! You said this was a happy setting! I was getting invested even!

Fortunately(?), everyone in the thread is in agreement that this won't last, so hope is not yet dead.

Boxie, like, as in 'just out of the box?' I googled it but I am pretty sure the results were not what you meant
I'm parsing it as analogous to "newbie". (Or possibly to "boot" if that's the slang used in real armies?)

Yeah. I bet the hijinks are going to end up improving the resistance's position in the end.
I mean, of course: based on her reactions to what she's seen so far, Lt. Dora would accept nothing less.

And here we see why Theda's so angry all the time: She has Major Tsundere Energy, but right now her rank is only Sargent Tsundere Energy.
Get out.

Designed, of course, to be as misleading about the actual contents of the story and characters as possible, in true sci-fi fashion.
Wondrous!
I am curious who the dark-plated dora is. Between the "named characters" context and the scope on that weapon I'm assuming Theda, but if that was established anywhere it drained out of my head immediately without informing my mental image of her.

also he's trans and his initials are HRT i do this just to amuse myself)
I rated this post an informative, which is a shame because this line is incredibly amusing. This is perfect.

Oh. Oh, oof. I can recognize too much of that, Dora.

She's explicitly said that she had aspirations of becoming an officer fresh out of the shipping crate.

It's been fairly directly noted in recent discussion that her determination to become an officer at all costs and the sense of urgency she's applied to doing so have cranked up very high after the event she has nightmares about.

My conclusion: It didn't create her desire to do it, but it reinforced that desire to the point where she was no longer rational about it.
Indeed. I know that now, having read every intervening post in the thread. But at the time, it felt like a character insight, the kind of thing that an author might intend for perceptive readers to pick up on at first read but that leaves the story perfectly understandable if you missed it.

Chapter 39 - Pull the Trigger
"Corporal, go. Good luck." I ordered, and he nodded and started down the rocks, the two boxies in tow. I resumed scanning the walls with my telescope, looking for sentries. Activity began not long after, heads moving behind the parapet, figures rushing about, the barrels of muskets starting to emerge in the loopholes. The muzzles of the first few cannons started emerging.

Beside me, Theda was lying against a rock, her rifle perched in her hand. I watched her flick the power on, pull open the bolt on the side, and select a needle with a blue band from her crumpled bandoleer. She fed it carefully into the magazine slot and worked the bolt, the weapon's capacitors whining to life as she stared down the scope. The target wasn't going to be hard to spot: they apparently liked to have a buddy with a banner nearby, and, well, they dressed important. We were told we couldn't miss them.

Minutes ticked by.

"Movement above the gatehouse. This might be our friend." Theda said, her voice dead calm. "Mhmm... that's them. They look old, don't they?"

I adjusted my scope, zooming in on the figure that emerged at the top of the gatehouse. I could see what Theda meant: they had a sort of yellowish wear at the edge of the exoskeletal plates and they looked somewhat gaunt even by the standards of their species, but they walked with head held high, confident. They had a patch over one eye and were wearing a tunic like the farmers here, but much finer, with blue and yellow details and a white scarf of sorts.

"That must be them. The butcher." Tardy whispered, and there was a bit of commotion as Impetuous wrestled for the binoculars.

"I wish I could hear what he was saying." I said. "I'd kill for a directional microphone."

"I think he's just moving troops around. Getting them to hold fire, I think? A lot of barrels pointing skyward." Theda said. There was a puff of smoke from the wall a moment later, and the gunshot echoed in our ears a little over two seconds later as a smeared pop.

"Did he shoot at them?" Tardy asked.

"No, warning shot." I explained. One of target's posse had fired a pistol into the air. "Come on machines, keep moving…"

"Okay, weapons are being pointed. They're getting closer to the wall, I think I have a shot." Theda said, shifting slightly. "Komm schon, Freund, du musst nur für mich schlafen…"

"Are they saying something to your machines?" Impetuous asked, and it sure looked like it. Like they were addressing them. A hand extended to them. An expression of sympathy in the scope.

… they must have thought they were deserters or messengers. I hadn't considered that, and it made this feel even more profane. This person's reaction to seeing soldiers approaching from a nation occupying theirs was to extend a hand, when the culture of the Orange Empire seemed uncomfortable with the idea of people from different families so much as touching. This... this was starting to feel like the beginning of something terrible, the first in a line of compromises we'd never come back from, and I hated it.

"Hold fire, Theda." I said quietly. Too quietly, I had to repeat myself.

"Ma'am?" she said quizzically, her finger hovering over the trigger. "I have my shot."

"I know… I just… we can't do this. We have to find another way." I said. "This is wrong. You know it is, and I've just been going along."

Slowly, she nodded, moving her eye away from the scope.

"We're still going to need electricity." she said, picking herself up and sitting back against the rock. "And we need to recall those three."

I pulled my sword and fiddled with it a moment, switching it to the recall pattern and activating it before waving it above my head. I held it for a long few moments before one of them noticed, probably looking back curious as to why nobody had shot yet, and all three machines took off at a sudden run.

"We're going to have to find another option. We've tolerated this long enough." I said, lowering the blade.

"What are you doing?" Tardy asked, "They're right there! Shoot them!"

"Adults are talking." I said dismissively, turning my back on them.

Out in the pass, there was something like a momentary stunned silence over the scene. Eventually this was broken by one or two opportunistic shots at the fleeing machines, but they didn't seem to come anywhere close to hitting, not that it would have mattered.

"How long a head start do you think we'll have, if we leave these two at the fort?" I asked, and Theda paused for a moment, thinking about the telegraph lines.

"At least a day to the newest telegraph station, probably longer as they have to walk everywhere. Long enough for us to get moving." she said. "We could also maybe leave them farther away, with a village or something?"

"That's probably a death sentence here." I pointed out, glancing back as I saw a flicker of movement. The two of them, climbing down toward the horses. "Can they use those?"

"I'll stop them." Theda said, picking herself up. At about the same time, the three soldiers we'd sent forward arrived at the base of the outcropping, accompanied by a snap as a stray musket ball hit the rocks.

"Lieutenant? What happened?" Corporal Theo called, and I beckoned him up.

"New plan. We're going." I said quickly. "Grab your gear and get your jackets back on."

Without complaint, they moved, and we slide down the back of the outcropping to the horses, balanced precariously on a tiny rocky shelf. Theda was there, shifting the two cuddlebugs to a sitting position as the groaned and whined, clearly stunned.

"They were rather argumentative." she explained.

We mounted our horses, our guests held securely in place, and made our way down the mountain. Miriam had already packed up camp, and we left the two of them with some water in sight of the fort, maybe a half-hour's walk, just to buy a little more time, then set off for home. This, at least, would be a non-stop trip.

Despite the dire straits it put us into, despite what this would make us do, it was the first decision I was proud of since the battle. It felt right.

---

Explaining what had happened to Lieutenant Kennedy and the ensigns went about as well as it could have possibly gone. None of them had been entirely comfortable with the plan in the first place, though it didn't take long for anxiety about power power situation to start settling in.

Seeing Diana again, after our last interaction… it was a bit rough. I could tell she was doing her best to stay professional, and fortunately the crisis was a good distraction, but it still tore at me.

Explaining the absent cuddlebugs was harder, but Miriam's diplomatic skills came to our temporary rescue. She spun a story to the South Hunter family that we had left them with the regiment passing through, as they'd desperately wanted to see battle after watching the shot get taken. They were skeptical, but silent, clearly still intimidated by us. It likely helped that it seemed believable enough for them to tentatively buy it and stave off confrontation. Probably wasn't hard to believe that those two would be impetuous and tardy, after all.

Still, we knew it had only bought us a small amount of time.

"So… ideas?" Sumner asked, pen and notebook at the ready.

"You can't just keep saying 'So, ideas?' in hopes things have changed since last time." Kennedy said, clearly frustrated. "What do we have so far?"

"Seize the power station by force and hold it as long as we can, seize the palace and force them to give us power, try to make a sufficiently powerful windmill and power generator ourselves, and go back to the gateway and hope for the best." Sumner read off, frowning. "All of these have a big X next to them due to the last four hours of discussion."

"So, nothing." I said with a sigh. "God, I'd do anything for a volta generator."

"Uh… Okay, this is going to be a stupid question, but how hard would it be to just build a volta generator? We invented them in the early 1900s, right?" Kelly asked.

Kennedy blinked.

"... you know, I'd not considered that. Honestly, it's almost closest to plausible. We have the materials here for a very basic one, and I've got a fairly good grasp of the basics." she said, grabbing some paper and scrawling something down.

"So we just do that?" I said, "How fast could we get one together?"

"If we can source a lot of copper wire from our hosts, we could honestly get it done pretty fast. They're pretty simple in their basic form, though they'll run down in a week, so we'll need two least. And they'll be big, they'll take up the wagons…"

"We'll get some local hauling wagons for our kit and casualties, pull them around cuddlebug-style." I proposed.

"Right. The only problem is that we'd need more power than we have available to jump-start it. It's been a few years since I've read Ørsted's Principia Dynamica, but eyeballing it, we need to discharge at least a hundred kiloamps at sixty kilovolts to jump-start the reaction."

"Is that a lot?" I asked.

"That's much beyond the local technology, yes." Kennedy said with a sigh, dotting something furiously on her page with her pen. "Much."

"How'd they start the first one? They'd have had to, right?" Kelly said.

"They hit it with lightning! What's stopping us from doing that?" Sumner asked.

"Can you summon a lightning storm on demand, Ensign?" I asked, and she groaned and drooped her face into her notebook.

The doors at the end of the hall clicked open, and Corporal Rifleman leaned in, removing his hat politely.

"Sorry to disturb you, but we've got a local bureaucrat who is poking around our wagons rather insistently. Says they've been ordered to." he said, sounding more than a little frustrated. "I think our hosts are growing a bit impatient with us."

"Stun them if you have to, we're on the clock anyway." Kennedy said, shuffling her own notebook up. "Okay, quick napkin math here. We could possibly do a bit of surgery on the flying guns and get one of their capacitors, they could handle it." Kennedy said. "Problem is, we'd then need to charge them, and that'd take…"

She scratched furiously, Milly leaning over her shoulder to be her calculator. We sat awkwardly a while around the table, Kelly drumming his fingers against the surface.

"... either we'd need to hook the capacitor up to the local power plant for nine hours, or we drain all but of our two field batteries." Kennedy concluded, setting down her pen. "And we'd have to have the volta generator ready by the time it's full up or the capacitor is going to melt. And, of course, it might just not work. To be honest, this is a long shot."

"So we'll want a backup plan." I said. "... I hate to say it, but plan seize-the-palace is the most immediately plausible of what we've got so far, and given how this society is organized it's probably the one we can achieve with minimal violence. Plus, depending on how they react over the next few days… we might not have a choice about fighting them."

Last edited:
Despite the dire straits it put us into, despite what this would make us do, it was the first decision I was proud of since the battle. It felt right.
Good call, Dora.

Hmm. Head for that mountain fortress, see if they have any generation capacity? Even if it's small it should be able to jump-start a volta generator, right?
Plus, depending on how they react over the next few days… we might not have a choice about fighting them."
Yeah, given your luck...

Still half-expecting this to end with the machines using Cuddlebug weapons!

And the Mad Science starts to come out!

This is exciting. Their basic plan is to Back To The Future it, but to do that they have to disassemble one of their big guns. Well, in this environment they probably don't even need the big gun, except maybe for intimidation factors. Unless this goes wrong, then it might be useful for breaching castles or something.

I could tell she was doing her best to stay professional, and fortunately the crisis was a good distraction, but
This cuts off. I've totally ended a sentence on "but" before, that's a valid thing if that's what you're going for, but even then it's missing a period.

Oh my, I have a feeling the organic waste is heading rapidly towards the rotary blades. It'll be fun to see if they can scrape through by the skin of their teeth again!

Leaving Impetuous and Tardy behind seems a little... callous, though. They're not sure the rebels are actually "the good guys" - the extending a hand to the soldiers could easily have been a ploy, or just a gesture they don't understand - so who knows if they'll treat the two younglings with dignity and respect?

Explaining what had happened to Lieutenant Kennedy and the ensigns went about as well as it could have possibly gone. None of them had been entirely comfortable with the plan in the first place, though it didn't take long for anxiety about power power situation to start settling in.

Mistake here with "about power power situation". I'm guessing that's meant to be "about the power situation".

No for real DONG energy is a real company! It's Danish, they used to be called Dansk Olie og Naturgas A/S and they rebranded to Ørsted A/S after Hans Christian Ørsted.

It gets even better: their Wikipedia page is just all (probably unintentional) double entendres:

So in summary we have:
- DONG Energy
- 'Dan(s)k Gas'
- expanding DONG
- 'long' positions
- creation of DONG Energy
- 'Horns Rev'

Reality couldn't write itself any better.

Last edited:
Oh my, I have a feeling the organic waste is heading rapidly towards the rotary blades. It'll be fun to see if they can scrape through by the skin of their teeth again!

Leaving Impetuous and Tardy behind seems a little... callous, though. They're not sure the rebels are actually "the good guys" - the extending a hand to the soldiers could easily have been a ploy, or just a gesture they don't understand - so who knows if they'll treat the two younglings with dignity and respect?

Mistake here with "about power power situation". I'm guessing that's meant to be "about the power situation".
They left them to return to the fort at the base of the mountain: that's why they are on the clock. A cuddlebug runner is making their way from that fort to a telegraph station as we speak.

Just got through this, and I am really enjoying it. I love our stupid gay rogue rogue-servitor and her humans and other rogues*. One of the things that I appreciate is that, for all the machines have their own 'humans can't be trusted' (passionate, fragile, etc) it the humans who are far my cynical. The Lieutenant can imagine humans as silly, but until it's really shoved in her face, by humans, she has trouble thinking of their capacity for evil. Got to be stressful for the humans, being reminded of just how... fragile, the 'you' you currently are is. Machines are themselves and know what they are, but humans are kind by circumstance, and even if you know that all your life, having it really shoved in your face can't be pleasant.

*But only one other rogue rogue, who is also gay and Prussian but everyone has flaws.

Last edited:
So I'm pretty sure this is from DC's thing, an I am equally pretty sure it's named that because the electrical company Ørsted was previously called DONG Energy.

"Right. The only problem is that we'd need more power than we have available to jump-start it. It's been a few years since I've read Ørsted's Principia Dynamica, but eyeballing it, we need to discharge at least a hundred kiloamps at sixty kilovolts to jump-start the reaction."

So what I'm gathering is that starting a volta generator is a process that requires a large influx of DONG Energy?

"Napoleon was not short, that's a myth!"

He was 168 cm, or for Americans with their weird system, 5 and 5.

So, depends on your standards.

She pulled me closer.

… sure. Why not?

Anyway, I'm on chapter 36, and I just have to ask: what the fuck is even Dora's life at this point?

I wonder about something. Are all machines instantly aware they are not supposed to do kissy noises with humans, like they instantly know that no unmarried humans should remain in a room together without chaperoning?

It seems like they aren't, because being attracted to a human doesn't cause instant revulsion or "stop-feeling-these-things" mode, they have to consciously reject these feelings ( or not, in Marie's case ).

So, I guess. This is actually a societal construct? Like, a bunch of machines in the olden days agreed that dating a human Should Not Be Done, came up with reasonable arguments as to why, ( or the other way around ) and then they explained it to all other machines around the globe, then explain it to the boxies who didn't come to this revelation by themselves...

I mean, okay, okay, Doylist reason is that you need forbidden romance without outlawing gayness in Space Regency.

It's just, the justifications the machines give seem kinda flimsy? Like, they believe that any romantic relationship with a human is inherently exploitative on their part, but. How exactly? Are they even physically capable of exploiting humans? They can stop feeling things and hurt them by that, but they can instead... not do it? It's been shown that it's a conscious decision to rationalize the feeling in question, and we humans can do much worse to each other without even meaning to.

... does it even work? Dora doesn't seem like she's okay. Is Theda her rebound hate-fling? Is she cracking under the stress of command? Honestly, woman, you started hating each other from the moment you met, not the fun sort of hating either, how do you go from that to "let's tumble on the ground"?

Okay, to be clear, I'm loving the shit out of this. Like, I feel unreasonably optimistic that despite being capable of perfectly rational thought, machines still manage to *points at Dora's personal life*, makes you realize that they are human, despite however much they pretend not to understand what it's like. ( That's my take from this, not necessarily the correct one. )

I'll comment more extensively once I finish the next three chapters... probably tomorrow.

Oh, also, about the temp cover. I get the joke that Miriam is a stand-in for a hot chick on the Conan the Barbarian cover, but maybe eh?

The whole cover is *things the heroes won't be doing on-screen*, sure, but it just runs against her character too much, imho?

Doras and Theos are soldiers, so they look like they are soldiering. Miriam is a maid, so shouldn't she be... maid-ing?
Like, standing with a tray behind Dora's shoulder or something and looking unflappably professional and put together? She is an officer's aide, after all.

Just read through all of this in a single sitting rather than doing my coursework, @open_sketch, and I've got to say I've really enjoyed the hell out of it so far. Looking forward to reading more, and hoping that Lieutenant Fusilier doesn't accidentally a coup and regime change her way into being ruler of the land they're in.

Oh, also, about the temp cover. I get the joke that Miriam is a stand-in for a hot chick on the Conan the Barbarian cover, but maybe eh?

The whole cover is *things the heroes won't be doing on-screen*, sure, but it just runs against her character too much, imho?

Doras and Theos are soldiers, so they look like they are soldiering. Miriam is a maid, so shouldn't she be... maid-ing?
Like, standing with a tray behind Dora's shoulder or something and looking unflappably professional and put together? She is an officer's aide, after all.
Because, as you said, she's a maid, not a combat maid. There will be no metaphorically eviscerating someone over their poor fashion sense while literally slitting their throat over their poor life choices (i.e. attacking her mistress) in this story.

He was 168 cm, or for Americans with their weird system, 5 and 5.

So, depends on your standards.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 36, and I just have to ask: what the fuck is even Dora's life at this point?

I wonder about something. Are all machines instantly aware they are not supposed to do kissy noises with humans, like they instantly know that no unmarried humans should remain in a room together without chaperoning?

It seems like they aren't, because being attracted to a human doesn't cause instant revulsion or "stop-feeling-these-things" mode, they have to consciously reject these feelings ( or not, in Marie's case ).

So, I guess. This is actually a societal construct? Like, a bunch of machines in the olden days agreed that dating a human Should Not Be Done, came up with reasonable arguments as to why, ( or the other way around ) and then they explained it to all other machines around the globe, then explain it to the boxies who didn't come to this revelation by themselves...

I mean, okay, okay, Doylist reason is that you need forbidden romance without outlawing gayness in Space Regency.

It's just, the justifications the machines give seem kinda flimsy? Like, they believe that any romantic relationship with a human is inherently exploitative on their part, but. How exactly? Are they even physically capable of exploiting humans? They can stop feeling things and hurt them by that, but they can instead... not do it? It's been shown that it's a conscious decision to rationalize the feeling in question, and we humans can do much worse to each other without even meaning to.

... does it even work? Dora doesn't seem like she's okay. Is Theda her rebound hate-fling? Is she cracking under the stress of command? Honestly, woman, you started hating each other from the moment you met, not the fun sort of hating either, how do you go from that to "let's tumble on the ground"?

Okay, to be clear, I'm loving the shit out of this. Like, I feel unreasonably optimistic that despite being capable of perfectly rational thought, machines still manage to *points at Dora's personal life*, makes you realize that they are human, despite however much they pretend not to understand what it's like. ( That's my take from this, not necessarily the correct one. )

I'll comment more extensively once I finish the next three chapters... probably tomorrow.
Yeah, it's 100% a social boundary and not something innate, and like... honestly, it's a barrier that's there for a reason, even if its more universal than it might need to be. The machines are kind of very conscious that the way they feeling about and act around humans could lead to really, really unhealthy relationships very easily, so their cultural safeguard against it is blanket rejection. However, it is also caught up pretty heavily in the massive paternalism that the machines feel about humans, the same paternalism which has kept the Concert in this weird pseudo-stasis. Atop that, the humans have their own justifications for why these kind of relationships would be wrong, and its notable that both sides see it as exploitative of the other, sort of in the same way that both machines and humans see themselves as the lucky ones in the way society is organized.

Basically... it would seriously challenge the power dynamics of the Concert if humans and machines in general started seeing each other that way, and machines like the power dynamic the way it is, dangit! But like any social convention, it's being broken constantly: Amber kissing Jane's grandfather, Jane & Marie, Kennedy's crush on Dora, and Beckham's... proclivities all show how the Concert's rules are not nearly as hard and fast as they make it out to be. But of course, that's always the case!

It would absolutely be healthier for society if people were more open about it and better able to discuss it. But the atomized society of the Concert will only be able to do this very slowly, and probably in fits and starts. If we ever get around to writing, say, France or America, we might see a part of the Concert which is a little better about this than Space Britain is.

Re: the stop-feeling-things beam, it does work, it just works a lot better when the machines actually, like, move on and away from the thing that caused it. When Hans the Messenger had a crush on Miss Polestar after activating (boxie crushes are common as the machines work things out) and his fellows were like, ah yeah, that's not a thing we do, he did the feelings squish and got to work in his cool new job and he was fine. If Dora was a healthier machine, she could probably have managed the same thing with Kennedy.

But the reality is that the way Dora uses the feeling squish is, well, it's textbook repression. She gets into a situation which frustrates her, simply buries the feelings instead of actually examining what is going on, and goes right back to the thing that caused her distress in the first place! All she's doing is robbing herself of the ability to actually deal with these situations and these feelings.

Over.

And over.

And over.

Like, Theda isn't exactly a shining example of mental stability herself, but she does have the excuse of having wasted a half-century of her life and then having to confront Dora and the crushing tidal wave of jealousy, anger, and confusion at the sheer unfairness of what she represents. Theda is, at this point, Dora's opposite, a person who never checks what they are feeling, who has given up on restraint, whose ramrod posture is nothing but a front.

They're both messes lol.

Back