Let's Read: Warhammer 40,000 Codexes and Star Wars RPG Sourcebooks (Dark Eldar Reviewer)

You are ignoring content by this member.
OOC: I think the Grey Knights would work for that yeah. But it's your choice.
OOC: Do they have a major fandom?
OOC:I would suggest the Marines Malevolent since canonically they managed to piss of BOTH the Salamanders and the Black Templars.There's also the minotaurs but they aren't super assholish compared to others but their main line of work is beating up space marine chapters that do stupid shit(2 chapters decided to go into a all out war in the middle of a Crusade and the minotaurs beat both of them up and stole their shit) which mean that they beat up the Lamenters, they also are loyal to the High Lords and there's a theory that their chapter master Asterion Moloch is either a Custodes or when he dies they get a random space marine and essentially download Moloch.EXE into their mind.I have ideas for the Grey Knights but that's a different post I need to make later.
OOC: I was hoping for one a bit more prominent and a bit less obvious than the Marines Malevolent. Like one that would feature prominently in the Marine codex, or even have their own codex.

OOC: I was hoping for one a bit more prominent and a bit less obvious than the Marines Malevolent. Like one that would feature prominently in the Marine codex, or even have their own codex.
OOC:I would say the Unification era Blood Angels.Canonically Dorn told them to their face that they were monsters and they laughed because they thought he was being sarcastic.They also ate anything that couldn't get away fast enough including but not limited to-civilians,enemy combatants,each other(why waste all that institutional knowledge when you can cut down on rations too!) and they didn't use 'regular' humans and preferred using mutants that were less human adjacent and more human in the sense that a bananna is related to a human by having over 20% of the same DNA as a human)

OOC:My idea for the Grey Knights is that the codex is basically a way to make it look like the High Lords control them.In this AU they don't have geneseed from the emperor but from their predecessors the Knights Errant which means a combination of Night Lord,Death Guard,Luna Wolf,Dark Angels,Iron Hands,Blood Angel,Raven Guard,Iron Warriors,White Scars and Emperors Children with all the utter insanity that entails.The Grey Knights were given an order by the Emperor to do shit before the Siege and then Titan disappeared into the warp for a century or two like canon.They don't follow direct orders by the High Lords and some of the crazier inqusition members can kinda point them in the direction they want them too.Main thing is that they are competent but they're eccentric(not TTS Draigo level but certainly weird and don't follow anyone's commands) but they aren't grimdark monsters waiting in the abyss and are a combination of comedic relief and a sort of anti-nightmare fuel stuff where there isn't a SS waiting around every corner but a bunch of really weird adventurers who make things not get too grimdark.

OOC: Maybe the Iron Hands, could work I'd need some one more familiar but I recall them having a very cold outlook has like a chapter on regular humans. Very brutal with a hatred for what they perceive has weakness not exactly a match up but I think they could work.

OOC: I'd say the black templars because like even in universe they're massive zealots who have no tolerance for even the slightest deviation from their interpretation of doctrine.

OOC: Maybe the Iron Hands, could work I'd need some one more familiar but I recall them having a very cold outlook has like a chapter on regular humans. Very brutal with a hatred for what they perceive has weakness not exactly a match up but I think they could work.
OOC:Kinda weird too.Some of them are absolutely ruthless and insane,others are kinda permanently enraged,some are mad scientists like Frater Thaumatica who got banned from the mechanicum possibly involving a giant death laser powered off the reactor of a Battle Barge and apparently it's traditional to resolve conficts within Medusan Tech-Clans and by extension the Iron Hands is to get blackout drink with a alcohol so strong only Space Wolves or White Scars are capable of surviving seconds

OOC: I'd say the black templars because like even in universe they're massive zealots who have no tolerance for even the slightest deviation from their interpretation of doctrine.
OOC:As someone who's read Saturnine I can tell you they've become less terrifying because in the old days they would fight with no remorse,no emotion and no steps back.They would be silent because talking or showing emotion at all would be a sign bringing individuality or emotion to their views of the enemy.

OOC: It would need to be a chapter featured very heavily in the Codexes.

OOC: maybe instead of a while chapter a company, and pulling from that one of the Companies of the Ultramarines themselves and have the implication being that in other chapter you tend to get this has well has in some of their companies
OOC: I'm not sure what you mean.

OOC: I'm not sure what you mean.

OOC: well it's like most chapter operate on the company scale most of the times -although I'm not sure if this has been retconned in the lore- and you mentioned that you want a Chapter that is mentioned frequently in the Codexes the Ultramarines are mentioned a lot if I recall. So have like their 3rd Company -or some other company- be essentially an infamous unit of the chapter. With the wider In-universe connotation being that it's less a Chapter specific problem and more a this is what happened when you brainwash children and teen boys into war-machines you get monsters in all the units that they are made of. While not simply making one Space Marine chapter be alright it rather a problem inside all of them and not a specific chapter thing.

OOC: Are the Grey Knights still disliked, or did someone turn them around after the Matt Ward fiasco?

OOC: Are the Grey Knights still disliked, or did someone turn them around after the Matt Ward fiasco?
OOC:Well the early GreyKnights called the Knights Errant were really interesting because they were a part of Malcador's secret war againstt Horus and the seed for the original Grey Knights being made out of a diverse group of Astartes(the first Grandmaster of the Grey Knights was a former Thousand Sons but originally it was supposed to be Gavriel Loken of the Luna Wolves) with astartes from both traitourous and loyal primarchs.Another thing was that stuff got retconned/changed, for example the infamous "Sister of Battle Blood warding incident' got changed to the Grey Knights getting besieged in the warp and preparing to do a last stand until some SoB's who also got stuck in the warp did a all out assault to but enough time for the Grey Knights to escape.Also they kinda make fun of Draigo when he has to team up with the Dark Angels Chaptermaster Azreal who when he realizes he's going to get mind wiped spends most of his time trolling Draigo(for example Azreal claims that he should lead because he is a Supreme Grandmaster/Chaptermaster and Draigo is only a Grandmaster/kinda like a company leader even though Azreal knows that Draigo is an actual Chaptermaster).I personally like Castellan Crowe who's whole thing is that he weilds a super corruptive sword in order to prevent anyone actually evil from using it.

I have recently acquired something called a Sisters of Seduction dataslate. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Sister Vandire insists they are "inaccurate" to the real-world conduct of the Sisters of Battle.

Is it worth watching? It does not appear to be Ecclesiarchy material.

Sister Vandire
For good taste, let's keep the details on that dataslate general, OK? And, frankly, I'm sick of you bringing them up. Just because the Sisters of Battle are typically pent-up women behind closed doors who live mostly with each other, it doesn't mean that this is some lesbian university fantasy. We do real work, important work, and we are blessed servants of the Emperor himself.

There is no "seduction" involved in our duties. Ynathe's assuming her job as some scantly-clad fight bimbo is normal.

I need that as my secondary job title. Oh, and that's also "inaccurate" to what I do. I am a scantily-clad combat performer who at times participates in planetary defense.

Sister Vandire
Not according to my dataslates.

...Has anyone else heard of these?

OOC: Hope this isn't too much.

I have recently acquired something called a Sisters of Seduction dataslate. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Sister Vandire insists they are "inaccurate" to the real-world conduct of the Sisters of Battle.

Is it worth watching? It does not appear to be Ecclesiarchy material.

...Admittedly my experience with sisters is limited to two, one who ascended to daemonhood, and one who left the order. ...I'm not sure when exactly the massage function in the shower of this bunker was built exactly but it is.... Interesting.

I wouldn't really trust commercial depiction of lesbian relationships as accurate either, though. We're usually not the target audience. Probably made by the same people who publish "Battlefield Babes".

...Admittedly my experience with sisters is limited to two, one who ascended to daemonhood, and one who left the order. ...I'm not sure when exactly the massage function in the shower of this bunker was built exactly but it is.... Interesting.

I wouldn't really trust commercial depiction of lesbian relationships as accurate either, though. We're usually not the target audience. Probably made by the same people who publish "Battlefield Babes".
Battlefield Babes is not an accurate depiction of human sexuality?

My, news to me.

Oh, and wait, only two of the human body's maximum holes are self-lubricating? Dataslates lie to me again. Can you suggest some more accurate media content focusing on romance and other sorts of things?

Ideally, I would like ones that might suit Drukhari tastes, so conpelling narratives are a must.

Oh and is Battlefield Babes morally questionable, or merely inaccurate to human coitus?

Last edited:
Battlefield Babes is not an accurate depiction of human sexuality?

My, news to me.

Oh, and wait, only two of the human body's maximum holes are self-lubricating? Dataslates lie to me again. Can you suggest some more accurate media content focusing on romance and other sorts of things?

Ideally, I would like ones that might suit Drukhari tastes, so conpelling narratives are a must.

Oh and is Battlefield Babes morally questionable, or merely inaccurate to human coitus?
I can't really give any recommendations, I was mostly too worried about staying alive to really look into smut that much. Also don't really know enough to comment about morals, but in my personal experience positions are a lot different when you're not performing for a camera. Most humans are only so flexible. ...Unless you happen to have certain mutations which probably throw off the average.

I can't really give any recommendations, I was mostly too worried about staying alive to really look into smut that much. Also don't really know enough to comment about morals, but in my personal experience positions are a lot different when you're not performing for a camera. Most humans are only so flexible. ...Unless you happen to have certain mutations which probably throw off the average.
Ah, of course. Are you still worried about staying alive, or is there some sort of...Chaos-produced erotica? This is a mystery I will need to examine someday! And that someday, perhaps, is today!

Oh, and I'm often performing for a camera.

Then again, I like performing.

Sister Vandire:
Ugh.

Ah, of course. Are you still worried about staying alive, or is there some sort of...Chaos-produced erotica? This is a mystery I will need to examine someday! And that someday, perhaps, is today!

Well, I got with N pretty quickly after I /stopped/ worrying about dying daily, so I still don't really need erotica. ...I'd bet there has to be some out there somewhere, but good luck finding it on any imperial held world. Definitely heresy.

Well, I got with N pretty quickly after I /stopped/ worrying about dying daily, so I still don't really need erotica. ...I'd bet there has to be some out there somewhere, but good luck finding it on any imperial held world. Definitely heresy.

That's fair. What do Chaos people do for fun, at any rate?

OOC:
Sigh, okay, fine.

Well, there are, like any other large and storied city. Where might you be from, and what flag do you hail?
IC:

Well, I consulted with the project director, and... okay, here goes.

We don't really do flags, technically, but I know that's not what you meant.

You've probably never heard of us. Honestly, not going to lie, I really, really, really hope so. We call our own planet, ah, 'Blessed Soil,' but trying to translate that into Gothic means a lot of exciting drama, so let's just call the planet Xffto IV. I'm going to be up front about the fact that we really, really, really don't want to get space-doxxed, so any identifying information I give you that might help a galactic survey locate Xffto IV is probably wrong.

It took our species a while to figure out that there's more than a few dozen stars in the universe. And a little while longer to work out that we're in some kind of dark nebula that's kind of a pain to work your way through by navigating anomalous space, Galactic-style.

Eventually we got around to scouting out the nearest stars on enhanced fusion rockets. Our first contact with intelligent alien life was the Greener Bastards, of course. At the time, we thought they were native to a little rock two star systems over from Xffto. Laughably naive, I know. We had a few rounds of psychic awakening and, well, most of you can guess that a few Anomaly crises came with that territory. We found derelicts, too- a few lost alien vessels and outposts from various species, lost trying to poke around the nebula or abandoned because navigating to their little mining outposts or whatever was more trouble than it was worth.

I won't go into the details of how we found the hardware that lets us patch into this line of communication, though the bare fact that I'm sending this message proves we must have done it somehow. We've been reading up for a while. I'm sure you all understand why what we know about the Galactics breeds a lively sense of caution in our minds. Forewarned is quadrupedal, that sort of thing.

So... hello from the planet Xffto IV, I guess?

By the way, @SolarFlare , my supervisor has started collating your comments against some particularly ugly defense white papers full of recommendations by some of the hardliners who like to sniff around the Ministry of Psychic Affairs. The hardliners can go play hopscotch in a minefield as far as I'm concerned, but arguing them down is like trying to sink a floating pumice-plug with a sledgehammer; you have to keep at it. Bunch of snakes.

So I hope it's at least diffuse good news to you, but your account is going into my office's latest round of publications on "Counter-Anomaly Protocols of Man: How Not To Do It And Why." The better to keep a bunch of alien espers you've probably never heard of from ending up in the same boat.

[shivers]

Seriously, Galactic Man's way of handling psychics... I'm not telepathic, but just what I've read from what we've pulled off old derelicts' computers and skimmed from things like this... stars. It gives me the creeping horrors and it's so damned stupid.

I can't understand what anyone involved was thinking, or even if they were at all, when that jumble of horrorshows was institutionalized. How has Galactic Man lasted for over a thousand cycles like this without dissolving into a mass of Anomalies at this rate? I can't understand it. If there were thoughts involved, I'm afraid to find out what they were. Anything that diseased might be contagious.

OOC: @Simon_Jester, are you playing someone from a canonical faction, or a very minor OC faction? Just to check.
OOC: I just made up a bunch of random space aliens after being directly prodded to come up with something IC, somehow.

I really can't come up with a 40k character I'd identify with and enjoy writing as. So I made something up out of whole cloth. This can be a one-off, as I'm not really attached to playing the role, but I needed something I could stick with.

IC: Forgive my ignorance but what is smut. I mean the word doesn't register as anything I heard before -I going to look into this- Okay so first why?, second why??? I mean is this like a normal human thing? is it important?. Second why is there so much of it. I have been able to find more smut than I have information on local technical manuals. I mean I'm not judging I what to make that clear I just don't think I will ever have such a connection with another sentient like that.

OOC: I'm honestly not sure my post here, I think it get across the lack of knowledge Heraen as on things outside of war and his hobbies. But I don't know it feels off

Codex: T'au Empire, Part 2
Hailing from the proud martial sept of Vior'la, Aun'Shi is the epitome of a warrior Ethereal. Privately he longs for peace. Yet, understanding the necessity of war, he joins the Fire Caste in their rituals, their training and their hardships. Aun'Shi believes absolutely in the T'au'va, and in the manifest destiny of the T'au Empire, and he will not take his rest until he sees the promise of both fulfilled.

This Codex seems very interested in portraying the T'au as an honorable enemy.

(Vior Or'es: Well, I can't imagine how they could portray us otherwise!)

No, no, no, my dear. There is something afoot.

(Sister Vandire: It's probably just meant to leave open the possibility of a tentative alliance with the T'au.)

...Well, it could be an honorable enemy or a subhumanly obedient one. I have been awakened to the implications, here.

If Fire Warriors were all that the Fire caste could bring to bear, then they would already be a powerful, albeit limited military force. However, these are but the line infantry who provide the backbone for the armies of the T'au Empire. Most are borne into battle aboard well armoured gravitic hover-transports that keep the Fire Warriors mobile - and well protected and supported - amidst the perils of the battlefield. Others man fortifications that are themselves grav-capable. Aboard these Fire Warriors can ride, facilitating mobile fortresses that can redeploy at need and carry their own garrisons with them as they go. Some Fire Caste soldiers deploy as elite Pathfinders who scout the foe and mark targets for long-ranged elimination, or spot for teams of deadly MV71 Sniper Drones.

More shameless promotion for models.

Then there are the supporting formations: heavy gunships such as the TX7 Hammerhead or TX78 Skyray; mobile artillery assets like the mighty Stormsurge; a wealth of Air Caste air support ranging from smaller fighter craft to huge tank-hunters like the A-X-5-2 Barracuda and the vast Manta dropship; the plethora of iconic and deadly Battlesuits that so epitomize the technological supremacy of the T'au way of war.

I'm not sure if the idea here is to portray the T'au as cowards leaning on technology to fight their wars for them, or simply to advertise more models.

By far the two most common forms of military tactics used by the T'au are the Mont'ka and the Kauyon. Each method is taught in depth by the great Fire Caste academies, and each has its own adherents amongst the masters. Both styles are based on hunting techniques that date back to the early years of the T'au's evolutionary and social development, each representing one of the two broad approaches to ensnaring and slaying the quarry.

(Vior Or'es: How infuriating! The idea that the Mont'ka and Kauyon are mere extensions of primitive hunting is a grave insult. They are systematized, practiced philosophies, not some Stone Age relic. I am dissatisfied.)

The Kauyon, which roughly translates as 'the patient hunter' is the oldest of the T'au ways of war. This style of combat relies on employing one or more lures to draw the enemy in, before closing the jaws of the trap...

(Vior Or'es: This is simple and describes an encirclement or a feint! The attempt to treat our combat tactics as mystical and primitive is not appreciated! Not at all!)

(Sister Vandire: Yes, I can tell.)

Don't be rude.

(Sister Vandire: My apologies, your grace.)

Ugh.

(Sister Vandire: I can see you blushing.)

The Mont'ka is the other leading T'au military philosophy, and it is both aggressive and risky to execute. Translating as 'the killing blow', this strategy centres around highly mobile attack forces identifying key targets and assailing them with overwhelming force before withdrawing to safety.

I see what Vior Or'es means. This is all deeply trivial, not some grand strategic innovation owing to the inscrutable mind of the "xenos".

Of all the T'au Commanders ever to lead or to teach, the famed Commander Puretide was perhaps the greatest master of the Mont'ka, the Kauyon and of other more unusual philosophies of war. Grievously wounded toward the end of his life, Puretide became a hermit, spending his last years committing his accumulated wisdom and experience to posterity. He wished to pass on his uniquely balanced style of war so that, after his death, others could build on his successes.

(Vior Or'es: A hermit? Commander Puretide was an educator and a philosopher!)

(Sister Vandire: This does seem to be a bad Asian stereotype from ages past superimposed on the Tau.)

Despite his efforts, few - if any - of Puretide's students have grasped the full scope of his balanced enlightenment. Yet names such as O'Shovah, O'Shaserra and the much-feared O'Kais are associated with the old master's tutelage and - while none mastered true balance - each emerged as a savant of their chosen martial philosophy.

...That sounds bigoted, but I'm not sure how.

(Sister Vandire: It's more rewritten pre-Unification Wars prejudice against Asians.)

Much like how anti-Slaanesh propaganda often draws on traditions of cishetbase propaganda going back centuries?

(Sister Vandire: Slaanesh actually is out to get you, that's the difference. Hir influence is...exaggerated, as is hir evil, but zie still is dangerous. Oh, and...Yes.)

There are numerous more specialised types of cadre standardised within the Code of Fire: the Rapid Insertion Cadre, which comprises only battlesuits; the Infiltration Cadre, made up of Pathfinders and Stealth battlesuits; the Auxiliary Reserve Cadre,·which fields only alien auxiliaries; the Armoured Interdiction Cadre, which masses T'au gunships in a devastating direct-strike formation; the list continues and is always growing, for the Fire Caste encourage innovation in the optimal deployment of both new and existing military assets.

The three of us should form a "Rapid Insertion Cadre"!

(Sister Vandire: Very funny.)

(Vior Or'es: While I am very thankful you both have decided to join the Greater Good, I must note that it does take some time before a new citizen is given command of a Hero's Mantle suit. You may need to temper your expectations just a bit!)

I was making a sex joke!

(Vior Or'es: But you said you wanted to form a Rapid Insertion Cadre...)

Yes, I did because it sounded amusing.

(Vior Or'es: I don't get it.)

Then there are those battlesuits that eschew any notion of subtlety. The XV88 Broadside, for example, is a hulking beast that trades jet-assisted flight for armoured resilience and enormous firepower. Toting heavy rail rifles, high-yield missile pods and smart missile systems, Broadside teams unleash salvos capable of shredding squadrons of tanks or swathes of massed infantry.

(Sister Vandire: Those are easy to take out, since they can't fly. Overrated.)

...You've fought one?

(Sister Vandire: One or two, and I thank the Emperor for the chance to slay such a valuable target.)

Until recently, the Ghostkeel Battlesuit was restricted to covert missions, its existence a secret to most of the T'au Empire even though it had been in service for many years. Pilots were chosen from among pre-vetted Stealth Team shas'vre and transported to a secret facility on I'ka'vo Station, on the fringes of the abandoned sept of N'dras. From there, upon the Orders of Aun'Va himself. the first Ghostkeel Battlesuits embarked upon numerous covert operations, from the Vadenfall Station Sabotage to the assassination of Cardinal Bocsh. Only when the hour was judged ripe were these remarkable suits revealed to the wider empire, the freshly renamed 'Ghosts of N'dras' thrust into the limelight for the benefit of T'au morale. Since that day, the suits have gained popularity among the Fire Caste of every sept, while the canny are left to speculate with hushed excitement as to what other marks of deadly and as-yet-classified battlesuits the Ethereals have to reveal.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would they use a stealth suit for an assassination or sabotage? That seems quite wasteful. Perhaps the Imperium is attempting to create a cover story for one of their own actions?

(Sister Vandire: Doesn't the Tau killing him just seem simpler? Same with the sabotage.)

Something isn't adding up.

(Vior Or'es: No, Ynathe is correct. This doesn't make sense. The Ghostkeel suit is a weapon of war, not sabotage. May I speculate?)

Please do!

(Sister Vandire: No, thank you.)

(Vior Or'es: Okay!)

On rare occasions - as in the case of the exothermic reactive mantle, the gravitic auto-booster and the now-infamous pulse-field projector - they may prove regrettably hazardous to their user. Should this occur, the designs are not discarded, but are instead returned to the laboratory stage for further improvement

Only an Imperial would treat the existence of a bug-testing phase as some kind of brilliant insight.

The multitracker is a sophisticated firecontrol system mounted in a sensor node, often upon a battlesuit's shoulder. It rapidly generates predictive targeting solutions, allowing multiple weapons to be fired in concert for greatest effect.

...Basic ballistics computing. How very futuristic.

Boasting a multi-spectral sensor package-including several classified energistic wavelengths-this device signals the impending approach or manifestation of enemies, allowing its user to direct punitive fire onto them accordingly.

Oh, and sensors. How novel.

(Sister Vandire: Well, firstly, these are both useful technologies. Second, fuck me you're only picking out the ones you can make fun of. The Target Lock system seems pretty effective, and you didn't quote that.)

Sue me, Sister of Seduction.

(Sister Vandire: Those...illicit films still do not depict the Sisters of Battle accurately! They never will!)

Then why do you watch them?

The T'au are always intrigued, and more than a little disturbed when faced with Mankind's deep-seated and abiding prejudice against such machine intelligences. To them, this attitude is but another example of the backwards, barbaric superstition the empire must strive to overcome.

(Sister Vandire: We have learned from the Iron Men. They haven't.)

What about your vibrator, Sister Cunnilingus?

(Sister Vandire: Emperor protect me.)

Amongst the finest pupils of Commander Puretide, O'Shaserra is the foremost living proponent of Kauyon within the Fire Caste, and amongst the empire's most iconic war heroes. Clad in her highly advanced XV22 Stalker Battlesuit, Commander Shadowsun employs her strategic genius to orchestrate vast and elaborate battle-plans, all while engaging and destroying the enemy's most valuable target assets.

Well, my my, this sounds like a woman I could spend some time with.

(Vior Or'es: She is married to the thrill of victory.)

Even more my type.

(Vior Or'es: Your celebrity crush is noted and discarded.)

I am in the presence of Aun'Va. She had to repeat the thought to herself in an attempt to make it real. I, El'Umeh, am in the presence of the Ethereal Supreme.

He looked upon them with absolute serenity, managing somehow to appear both humble and effortlessly superior. El'Umeh strove to meet that unblinking gaze, but she could not do so for long. Instead, her eyes skipped away to the shadowed alcoves and balconies around the dome's edge.

(Vior Or'es: What a truly insufferable projection of the Emperor onto Aun'Va. There is no single ruler of the T'au, Aun'Va is merely a mouthpiece for the equal collective that is the Ethereal Caste. A T'au does not worship the Ethereals in this slavish, self-loathing manner. Rather, we are to them as draft animals, work animals, or pets are to us. There is no "superiority" in the Ethereals, merely a recognition that they gave us our happy lives and we owe them duty. They are not lords, they are shepherds.)

...Do you find it comforting to be treated like an animal?

(Vior Or'es: Exceptionally so!)

Hm.

(Sister Vandire: Don't you start. Dark Eldar, I swear.)

[We] know now that our dispair at the failure of the Slipstream module was misplaced. We have learned that, in truth, this device grants us a greater reach than ever before to spread the light of the T'au'va.

This caused a traitorous flicker of doubt in El'Umeh's mind. There had been rumors of disaster, and of some shared trauma about which the Fourth Sphere survivors would not speak. Yet under Aun'Va's serene stare, such thoughts seemed cynical and unworthy. She burned with shame even to have thought such things. Her discomfort was not helped when Aun'Va's next words made her feel as though he had sensed her instant of disloyalty.

(Vior Or'es: No T'au would hide such fears. Instead, they would make their worries known, respectfully and with reference to their role in society, and the Ethereal would either reassure them that there was no problem or easily figure out a solution. This sort of double-talk is very contrary to the T'au'va.)

From anyone else, such an allusion to the Mon't'au would have been a ghastly breach of social etiquette. From Aun'Va it was a stern admonition against hesitancy and cowardice. El'Umeh found the fires of determination burning within her. She would not shame the memory of her forebears through such failings.

(Vior Or'es: We are not a shame culture, we are a duty culture, and we discuss the Mon'tau frequently. It is, after all, the reason for our society. We couldn't do it alone. We couldn't take care of ourselves. They saved us. They proved their virtue even as we proved our own evil and cruelty. Most of the above paragraph is decietful stereotyping based on Terran stereotypes.)

...You're really happier to be a pet or a work animal rather than a person?

(Sister Vandire: What cowardice.)

(Vior Or'es: We are loved, we are safe, we are given purpose and joy. What else could anyone want? Feralism is overrated.)

What's wrong with you?

(Vior Or'es: I am genuinely happy, Ynathe. I don't want to be feral. Most of us don't. The people who do, T'au or non-T'au, they typically leave. We've engineered happy lives for every citizen of the T'au Empire. Joy is a science and purpose is kindness.)

This is utterly, completely, truly disconcerting.

(Vior Or'es: Why do you submit to Sister Vandire?)

...What?

(Vior Or'es: In your servile games, why do you do what she says? Don't you like "freedom"?)

It's a game, a charade!

(Vior Or'es: What if it were real? What if you were hers, and she loved you? What if she loved you so much she made your life heaven? Would that be so bad?)

I...I suppose not. But it would be my choice, would it not? You never had a choice.

(Vior Or'es: I do. I could leave the T'au Empire at any time. I could settle on some distant world. You know the statistics. Few flee the T'au Empire, but many emigrate there.)

...Doesn't it cost money to leave?

(Vior Or'es: Yes, but were that best for that specific citizen the Ethereals would pay it gladly. However, they work hard to ensure everyone here is happy and able to contribute to the T'au'va. They fix lives. I was depressed, they gave me medication. I was clumsy, they gave me enhancements. I was slobbish, they gave me achievable goals for keeping my hab clean along with rewards. Most of this was indirect, through Earth Caste superiors, but you get the idea.)

...Is that true?

(Sister Vandire: It is. You can see the appeal?)

I...I suppose I can.

(Vior Or'es: You have pain in your soul, don't you? All of these shows, these exhibitions, the violence, the spectacle, playing to the crowd...You crave it, don't you? You need it.)

I do.

(Vior Or'es: That's what you love. You love making people happy, but the lonely life of an intellectual black sheep from a corrupt old family eats you away. The Drukhari are often hedonistic, but your hedonism comes from sadness. You seek new experiences, new loves, and new connections to fill the hole in your heart from a society that's large, vast, and atomized. Is that accurate?)

...It is. Are you sure you aren't Water Caste.

(Vior Or'es: I am not. Did you know that the T'au Empire has combat sports? We use safer weapons, there's less blood, but entertainment serves the Greater Good like anything else. Don't you want to feel safe, to feel loved, to finally be among people who value you rather than just as a fuck or a friend? Don't you want to be loved by everyone you know?)

...Oh, by Ynnead. Sister Vandire, what do you think?

(Sister Vandire: ...I would miss you.)

(Vior Or'es: You can be loved too.)

...My life's here.

My pain's here.

My pain is beautiful.

(Vior Or'es: Pain is a byproduct of life, not its end goal.)

(Sister Vandire: I could never abandon His glory.)

(Vior Or'es: He'll never love you. Why would you bother waiting?)

(Sister Vandire: I guess that's faith.)

I never knew the T'au was so...strange.

(Vior Or'es: Isn't it beautiful?)

It...It is.

Your lives are art.

(Sister Vandire: At least think on this. Don't just uproot your life because some xenos told you some happy stories. Didn't you say it was unsettling?)

It is unsettling, just for reasons different from I initially thought. I'll think about it, I suppose. By the burning arms of the galaxy.

T'au pushed forces across the mysterious Damocles Gulf, and there they encountered the Imperium for the first time.

Oh, the Damocles Crusade, what a marvelous massacre that was!

(Sister Vandire: Are you sure you of all people should be serving "The Greater Good"?)

Hush, have you forgotten the slaughter and torment that the Sword of Damocles bore?

So began the Great War of Confederacy, during which Aun'Va, now Ethereal Supreme, brought the entire T'au Empire together as a unified war engine to first halt and then defeat the greenskins.

Even I know by now that they're heavily exaggerating Aun'Va's power.

At a word from their supreme commander, the armada engaged their slipstream drives as one. The empyrian cataclysm that followed, was beyond the understanding of the T'au, but it swallowed the expansion fleet whole and left a chwrning vortex of unreality in its wake.

The fleet was believed lost. Worse, the T'au Empire now found itself under constant assault, as though the Great Rift had driven the rest of the galaxy to madness. For the first time in millennia, hope within the empire faltered. Then came a solitary signal, relayed from a single drome exploring beyond the Zone of Silence. Upon investigating, the T'au were amazed to find that drone orbiting a spiralling wormhole and transmitting ident codes...Someone, it seemed, had survived.

The Fourth Sphere Expansion fiasco was truly a mess, and one even I am aware of. The prejudices displayed by the Fourth Sphere T'au, up to and including violence towards Kroot and other alien helpers were exceptional and abberant. I can only conclude that in isolation, the Fourth Sphere has become something very different to and notably crueler than the rest of the T'au. Thankfully, things are improving on that front.

(Vior Or'es: Frankly, we are unsure of what to do with the renegades, who profess support for the T'au'va but who act against it. This problem will be solved.)

At any rate, there has been much conflict over the Zone of Silence created by the slipspace experiment. It's all very tragic.

Unlike Humanity, the T'au pride themselves on possessing the wisdom and restraint not to have overrun their birth world or its neighbouring planets. Not for nothing are the folk of this sept considered especially wise and cultured.

(Vior Or'es: I'm from there!)

(Sister Vandire: ...Xenos are way too arrogant for their own good, sometimes.)

...Hey, Felicity?

(Sister Vandire: Yeah?)

Have you ever been to the T'au Empire?

(Sister Vandire: I'd never be allowed to go. I can't even visit you now that I'm no longer stationed near Dark Eldar territory.)

What if you ran away?

(Sister Vandire: And desert the Emperor?)

Damn the Emperor. What does Felicity Vandire want?

(Sister Vandire: Felicity Vandire wants some basic respect right about now.)

A popular proverb throughout the empire can be roughly translated as follows: 'The walls of T'au Sept are fashioned not from stone, but instead are wrought of Fire!'

(Sister Vandire: Very cute.)

(Vior Or'es: Do you think so? I find it unnecessarily militaristic, and I find that this Codex over-exaggerates T'au militarism outside of the Fourth Sphere Expansion fleet. Speaking of the Fourth Sphere, our allies in the T'au'va who have regained contact with T'au Sept are typically regretful of their actions. It is the renegades, hardened by endless conflict with the Imperium and the threats of the Immaterium and loyal only to their local superiors who are a problem.)

...What do you believe should be done?

(Vior Or'es: The half-domesticated should be re-domesticated, and the ferals should be domesticated thoroughly. That is my opinion, but it is a prevailing one among those who know what is best.)

...I'm not even scared by the phrase "domesticated", anymore.

(Vior Or'es: It just means never having to watch your back.)

The name Vior'la can be translated as meaning 'hot-blooded' - this is certainly a fitting description for the T'au who hail from this sept...

This whole page seems like stereotyping, is that accurate?

(Vior Or'es: Oh, it goes on like that, yes. There is much discussion of risk-taking and the like. It's all very simplistic.)

[T]he Sa'cean training domes incorporate entire subterranean facilities, within which are simulated the urban sprawls of enemy races. Imperial hives are replicated in miles-wide swathes, their finer details consulted upon by those Gue'vesa who can bear to look back upon the gothic nightmare they have left behind. Ork shanty-camps and scrap forts, twisted Tyranid bioscapes and even replica Necron tombs are amongst the hostile alien cityscapes simulated for the use of the Sa'cean Fire Caste.

(Vior Or'es: The rest of this is stereotyping for the Sa'cean Sept, but this is at least true. Gue'vesa, especially, often report trauma symptoms due to their time in the Imperium.)

(Sister Vandire: Thank you, Little Miss Perfect.)

(Vior Or'es: Pardon?)

(Sister Vandire: I mean that you're obviously a propagandist, that most of what you're saying about the Fourth Sphere and T'au society are probably lies, and that you're probably either brainwashed or some kind of spy.)

...Please, Felicity.

(Vior Or'es: I am simply telling what I know.)

(Sister Vandire: Well, what you know is one form of bullshit or the other. No society that totalitarian is that happy, and I know because I live in one!)

(Vior Or'es: It's optimally arranged, especially compared to the Imperium.)

(Sister Vandire: Tell us about the dark secrets of the T'au, the really dark things. If they're a real society and not some fantasy, where are the crimes and the horrors?)

(Vior Or'es: There aren't any.)

(Sister Vandire: Bullshit! What about Farsight?)

(Vior Or'es: Farsight's project is doomed.)

At the end of the Second Sphere Expansion, O'Shovah [Farsight] led a force across the Damocles Gulf, his mission to reclaim those T'au colony worlds lost to Imperial aggression. Initially, Commander Farsight's dynamic leadership saw world after world taken back from the Humans, who had been forced to turn their attention to other threats. Then came Arthas Moloch, and disaster....O'Shovah's forces cut deep into the Ork invasion, chasing the ruling Warboss to a nearby artefact world. This was a forlorn place long abandoned by the Imperium. Its name was Arthas Moloch, and there Farsight's forces were engaged by a savage and yet unidentified enemy...Little was reported from the battle, save that all of the Ethereals who had accompanied O'Shovah's coalition were slain...The T'au Empire sent many desperate messages via their chain of communications beacons...No response came back...the expedition was deemed lost...It appeared that Farsight yet lived and and had established his own colonies on the far side of the Damocles Gulf...The fact remains that the so-called Farsight Enclaves continue to thrive. They are, in effect, their own extended sept that has declared independence from the T'au Empire. Their caste factions still aid one another according to the tenets of the T'au'va, and they have not slipped back into the barbarism of the Mon't'au. Yet they live without Ethereal oversight and refuse any intrusion by the fifth caste.

They seem noble. I've heard that the Ethereals are willing to encourage their experiment so long as it doesn't devolve into selfishness or cruelty.

(Vior Or'es: Well, yes, many of them are, but without the Ethereals the feralists will succumb to their baser instincts. I know that.)

(Sister Vandire: Now you think you know better than the Ethereals?)

(Vior Or'es: ...I...I am simply going by what I know.)

(Sister Vandire: Are you afraid of freedom, even more afraid than your masters? Wow, you really are a pathetic society.)

Sister Vandire, please stop, won't you?

(Sister Vandire: She has no faith in the Greater Good, huh? Or does that mean something other than whatever the Ethereals say it is?)

(Vior Or'es: Please stop!)

(Sister Vandire: Or what? What are you going to do, Or'es? Do you trust your masters when they say they support Farsight self-government, or do you worship them as ideals but only when it fits with what you already want?)

(Vior Or'es: Stop!)

For all this, the most disturbing aspect of the Farsight Enclaves, from the point of view of the Ethereal Council, is the appearance amongst their forces of battlesuit and weapons technologies developed by the empire after their departure. Perhaps this is due to spy-craft or theft, yet the fear remains: what if factions within loyal septs are aiding the enclaves?

I doubt this is true, though I suppose the Ethereals could be conflicted on whether or not to support the Farsight project. I also think the emphasis to be found in this Codex on Farsight displays a certain need for a strong, singular leader to mythologize on the part of the Imperium, and much ink is wasted on describing his character.

The Kroot are by far the most common alien auxiliaries serving in the Fire Caste's armies, with many billions of their kind armed for war and assigned to Hunter Cadres of nearly every sept. Although their primitive aggression is viewed with distaste by the T'au, such inherent savagery makes them particularly effective shock troops.

...Hm, knowing the T'au them being nakedly xenophobic outside of a situation like the Fourth Sphere seems deeply unlikely. In many ways, this Codex intends to convince readers that the T'au are simply a bad copy of the Imperium.

The Kroot are first and foremost a mercenary species. Their ethics are, in some ways, enormously divergent from those of the T'au, yet somehow the two races have found more common ground than they have differences...Kroot live in kindreds...led by one or more Kroot Shapers. None outside of the Kroot themselves know how a Shaper is appointed..The Kroot of their kindred follow them with fierce loyalty.

Even I know this is a vast oversimplification of a species with many varying and often quite nuanced tribal cultures. Many people know quite well how a Shaper is appointed, and many Kroot have culturally had to fill a mercenary role. That is not some inherent trait of them.

Welcome to the rules section of Codex: T'au Empire. On the following pages you will find all the rules content you need to bring every aspect of the T'au people to life on your tabletop battlefields...You will find everything you need on the following pages...not to mention bespoke content for your T'au Empire force, including a ruleset allowing you to conquer entire star systems!

Vior Or'es, are you doing passably?

(Vior Or'es: I'm holding my head in my hands and dry-heaving.)

Poor dear.

(Sister Vandire: Emperor, protect me.)

No!

No, no, no, no, no! I just got into a bout with a Gue'vesa, but I've been trying to understand and respect all peoples! I wish you could simply give up your religious disdain for one simple moment! Why are you so unable to respect others' cultures? Whether it's trying to turn people to your Emperor or shouting an autistic T'au into a breakdown, you always seem to put feeling superior over being kind, every single time!

(Sister Vandire: I don't know what you expected when you befriended an Adepta Sororitas.)

...I guess I expected you to not be such a cockerel all the time!

(Sister Vandire: Do you want a hug?)

Thank you for the sarcasm. It's very witty.

(Sister Vandire: That wasn't sarcasm. Do you think you could ask someone for a hug?)

...I suppose that could be nice. I would like to visit T'au space, before I decide to defect. Would that be doable, Vior Or'es?

(Vior Or'es: Very!)

(Sister Vandire: Are you sure you want to give up your life of hedonism? It seems like going from individualism to altruism is going to be a hassle.)

I can do it, if you come with me, my dear.

(Sister Vandire: Me?)

You thrive on hierarchy, don't you? Surely you could help me stay...obedient.

(Sister Vandire: There's only one man I'm in love with.)

I'm not a man. Besides, you could call it scouting out the enemy. I can forge the orders for you. It won't take long.

(Sister Vandire: You do need someone there to keep you from doing stupid things. Promise me you'll make the right choice?)

I promise.

(Vior Or'es: Yay! Friends!)

Last edited:
...I suppose that could be nice. I would like to visit T'au space, before I decide to defect. Would that be doable, Vior Or'es?
IC: Oh, you intend to visit our space? Be sure to come visit T'ros if you can, I'd love to show you around. It should showcase the diversity of our culture, especially when contrasted to the core worlds.

As for the content of the review, I am sad to say that there is a legitimate degree of revulsion towards the Kroot in many spaces, although its extent is GREATLY exaggerated here. It's simply hard to adjust to a being consuming the flesh of a dead sentient. For those of us with different burial practices, it can feel sacrilegious.

I would like to make one other note to sister Vandire (aside from a general "what the fuck" toward your treatment of Vior O'res because that shit was unconscionable). Do not underestimate broadside battlesuits. You only had such an easy time because they're not actually designed to engage infantry targets. They're tank killers, and someone screwed up big time letting them get swarmed by infantry. As tank killers, I have it on good authority they are lethally efficient and terrifying. I have a friend who was an Imperial Guard tank commander during the T'Ros campaign and defected after being taken prisoner. He lives as a civilian now instead of serving in the Fire Caste, despite his military service, because Broadside battlesuits were terrifying enough to Imperial tankers to give him PTSD. Nothing scared imperial tank crews more than Broadside or Hammerhead railguns, to the point where just the noise of one firing is enough to traumatize him. If you underestimate a Broadside in its intended role, you will not live to regret it.

Back