Let's Read: Warhammer 40,000 Codexes and Star Wars RPG Sourcebooks (Dark Eldar Reviewer)

I suppose, but I would rather die a free woman than live in any cage, regardless of gelding. Guilding? Gilding? What is the adjectival form for "to gild"?

I suppose I would suggest finding your courage and autonomy. Life is a buffet for those who are willing to take, a potluck for those who are willing to give, but thieves and naive fools have little place in either.

I am afraid it may be a "culture clash" sort of affair.
No offense intended, but this strikes me as an incredibly privileged position, the perspective of one who has never had to actually make hard decisions in their life. Sure, I'd love to "find my autonomy" or whatever, but life isn't a fucking buffet. For most of us out here in the galaxy, it's lucky to be three square meals a day. This is a dangerous galaxy, and as much as the Imperium exaggerates many threats, there's absolutely real ones out there. Before the Tau came along, I was never sure where my next meal would come from, much less how I would feed those I cared about. Now, I never have to go hungry again. That may strike you as base, and setting my sights incredibly low, but when you've been through what I've been through, your priorities become somewhat different. I somehow doubt you've ever had to genuinely worry about your next meal outside of some twisted "play" that you engaged in deliberately. For all you talk about the beauty of suffering, you've never suffered - truly suffered, without a way out or a safe word or an end in sight - for a day in your life. Live a few years the way the inhabitants of T'ros did, without any means of escape, and then maybe you'll understand how angry this makes me and why I am as loyal to the Tau as I am. I can take food for granted now, and that means the goddamn galaxy to me.

Last edited:
IC: Forgive my absence a former Brother found where I had been resting and decided to pay me a visit, It was not exactly a friendly reunion needless to say.

I have been reading the update in a medical the wing in aboard a strike destroyer belonging to a group of renegade Astartes. I'm mostly fine beyond wounded pride -and now missing hand but that's not really relevant-. On the T'au I must admit ignorance on them, so reading from those more familiar with their Empire as been an enlightening experience. I admit I have interest in the Greater Good on a more personal level. The idea of all contributing to a greater whole speaks to me in way much hasn't since my defection from the Imperium. Although the loss of individual seems wrong in way I can't articulate.

You are ignoring content by this member.
No offense intended, but this strikes me as an incredibly privileged position, the perspective of one who has never had to actually make hard decisions in their life. Sure, I'd love to "find my autonomy" or whatever, but life isn't a fucking buffet. For most of us out here in the galaxy, it's lucky to be three square meals a day. This is a dangerous galaxy, and as much as the Imperium exaggerates many threats, there's absolutely real ones out there. Before the Tau came along, I was never sure where my next meal would come from, much less how I would feed those I cared about. Now, I never have to go hungry again. That may strike you as base, and setting my sights incredibly low, but when you've been through what I've been through, your priorities become somewhat different. I somehow doubt you've ever had to genuinely worry about your next meal outside of some twisted "play" that you engaged in deliberately. For all you talk about the beauty of suffering, you've never suffered - truly suffered, without a way out or a safe word or an end in sight - for a day in your life. Live a few years the way the inhabitants of T'ros did, without any means of escape, and then maybe you'll understand how angry this makes me.
OOC:

CW: This is a heavy post, talking about starvation, torture, and rape. The last one is important. I don't like to write rape. However, as sometimes happens, the point needs to be made. The Dark Eldar are not all screaming sexual perverts trying to do horrible things to anything they see. At least, they aren't in this AU. However, the Dark Eldar do have hierarchical structures and a notion of sexual freedom and a reverence for pain as beauty. That can lead to many positive things, but that is also a situation in which a society like that will have a problem with rape, just like how the "Free Love" organizations in the 60s did. The Dark Eldar talk about rape, they are aware of it, and many of them are actively trying to stop it...but hedonism can be embraced by people without kindness. Ynathe was a victim. She was harmed. She isn't just that. She's pretentious, self-centered, insensitive, caring, funny, charming, violent, and strange. I try to write her as her own person. Her rape wasn't meant to be dark or edgy, or to define her as a victim. In fact, it's been years since her rape, and she is in less pain from it now due to time and distance. The idea here is that Ynathe is in control of her own life, now. The wound can't ever heal, that's not how trauma works, but she's more than her pain.

IC:
...I don't want to play trauma poker. I'm not going to.

I...I don't know what to say?

What does someone say to this?

How does anyone respond, here? None of my suffering will ever be good enough. None of the pain I've felt, none of the pain those who I've known and loved have suffered will be enough. It's a simple truth: pain is not a scale, it is a fractal. Pain differs in degree, but it also differs so much in kind.

All pain is different. All pain is horrible. All pain is a crime against sophont sapience itself. All pain is beautiful.

You are right, though. I come from a position of severe privilege. I have been subject to cruelty, harassment, non-consensual violence, and even the forced and intimate violation of my own body.

None of that is comparable to starvation, or fear, or terror at being shot and killed. My fear around my father's wandering eyes cannot be compared to your fear that you might die by your body eating itself.

My pain was beautiful in its complexity, not in its worthiness or morality. It was a work of art that should never have been made. It was the Pyramids made by slaves, a statue built on a foundation of broken bodies.

Damn the Pyramids.

A hateful little novel is a work of art, after all. It was not good even if it was meant to be made. Still, it can be examined, learned from, understood, and rethought. It can be considered.

My pain had themes, it had recurring motifs, it had structure and form that I could examine and use to sew up the holes my pain left in me. I hated that pissant work of art, but as I knew it was art I knew how to ascend beyond it and how to understand it outside of my own limited perspective in that pain.

No art was worth my pain. No art was worth your pain.

There is no way to argue over any of that. All pain is unique.

So, please don't play trauma poker with me.

Last edited:
OOC:

CW: This is a heavy post, talking about starvation, torture, and rape. The last one is important. I don't like to write rape. However, as sometimes happens, the point needs to be made. The Dark Eldar are not all screaming sexual perverts trying to do horrible things to anything they see. At least, they aren't in this AU. However, the Dark Eldar do have hierarchical structures and a notion of sexual freedom and a reverence for pain as beauty. That can lead to many positive things, but that is also a situation in which a society like that will have a problem with rape, just like how the "Free Love" organizations in the 60s did. The Dark Eldar talk about rape, they are aware of it, and many of them are actively trying to stop it...but hedonism can be embraced by people without kindness. Ynathe was a victim. She was harmed. She isn't just that. She's pretentious, self-centered, insensitive, caring, funny, charming, violent, and strange. I try to write her as her own person. Her rape wasn't meant to be dark or edgy, or to define her as a victim. In fact, it's been years since her rape, and she is in less pain from it now due to time and distance. The idea here is that Ynathe is in control of her own life, now. The wound can't ever heal, that's not how trauma works, but she's more than her pain.

IC:
...I don't want to play trauma poker. I'm not going to.

I...I don't know what to say?

What does someone say to this?

How does anyone respond, here? None of my suffering will ever be good enough. None of the pain I've felt, none of the pain those who I've known and loved have suffered will be enough. It's a simple truth: pain is not a scale, it is a fractal. Pain differs in degree, but it also differs so much in kind.

All pain is different. All pain is horrible. All pain is a crime against sophont sapience itself. All pain is beautiful.

You are right, though. I come from a position of severe privilege. I have been subject to cruelty, harassment, non-consensual violence, and even the forced and intimate violation of my own body.

None of that is comparable to starvation, or fear, or terror at being shot and killed. My fear around my father's wandering eyes cannot be compared to your fear that you might die by your body eating itself.

My pain was beautiful in its complexity, not in its worthiness or morality. It was a work of art that should never have been made. It was the Pyramids made by slaves, a statue built on a foundation of broken bodies.

Damn the Pyramids.

A hateful little novel is a work of art, after all. It was not meant to be made. Still, it can be examined, learned from, understood, and rethought. It can be considered.

My pain had themes, it had recurring motifs, it had structure and form that I could examine and use to sew up the holes my pain left in me. I hated that pissant work of art, but as I knew it was art I knew how to ascend beyond it and how to understand it outside of my own limited perspective in that pain.

No art was worth my pain. No art was worth your pain.

There is no way to argue over any of that. All pain is unique.

So, please don't play trauma poker with me.
IC:…..fucking Hell, I'm sorry. I genuinely overstepped my bounds there, and you have my sincerest apologies. I did not mean to minimize your suffering, which from what you have described is very real. If you, having gone through all that, still feel like your way of life is worth it, I have no reason to speak out against it. You have my deepest sympathies, and I cannot apologize enough. My response got away from me, and ended up being far angrier than I intended. My original intent was simply to emphasize the degree of loyalty the Tau's ability to simply care for basic necessities can provide for the dispossessed, out here in the frontier. I did not mean to play trauma poker with you in any way.

IC:…..fucking Hell, I'm sorry. I genuinely overstepped my bounds there, and you have my sincerest apologies. I did not mean to minimize your suffering, which from what you have described is very real. If you, having gone through all that, still feel like your way of life is worth it, I have no reason to speak out against it. You have my deepest sympathies, and I cannot apologize enough. My response got away from me, and ended up being far angrier than I intended. My original intent was simply to emphasize the degree of loyalty the Tau's ability to simply care for basic necessities can provide for the dispossessed, out here in the frontier. I did not mean to play trauma poker with you in any way.
...I try not to mention these things to win arguments, it was just frustrating, this idea that some people go through life unscathed. As the Buddha once said, life is suffering. Though, I suppose he didn't mean it the way I did. I promise you, our pain is simply not comparable. It is...What's the human saying? Apples and apricots? Yes, apples and apricots.

Still, thank you for reminding me of the hierarchy of needs. One cannot dream of one cannot eat.

I am deeply sorry for your pain. It sounds as though life has not been kind to you or those you knew. I am, in many ways, lucky. In a few ways, you are as well, having found safety.

Regardless, those incompetent drawings are etched into our souls.

...I try not to mention these things to win arguments, it was just frustrating, this idea that some people go through life unscathed. As the Buddha once said, life is suffering. Though, I suppose he didn't mean it the way I did. I promise you, our pain is simply not comparable. It is...What's the human saying? Apples and apricots? Yes, apples and apricots.

Still, thank you for reminding me of the hierarchy of needs. One cannot dream of one cannot eat.

I am deeply sorry for your pain. It sounds as though life has not been kind to you or those you knew. I am, in many ways, lucky. In a few ways, you are as well, having found safety.

Regardless, those incompetent drawings are etched into our souls.
I appreciate your grace here very much. I have, indeed, been lucky. Lucky to survive as long as I did, lucky the Tau chose my world to liberate, lucky to survive the brutal Imperial counteroffensive that ground every pre-existing city on the planet into dust. And that's why I fight for the Tau- to build a world where the next generation doesn't have to be lucky. Where no one has to go through what I did. Now, I need to go to sleep. I have an early watch tomorrow.

I appreciate your grace here very much. I have, indeed, been lucky. Lucky to survive as long as I did, lucky the Tau chose my world to liberate, lucky to survive the brutal Imperial counteroffensive that ground every pre-existing city on the planet into dust. And that's why I fight for the Tau- to build a world where the next generation doesn't have to be lucky. Where no one has to go through what I did. Now, I need to go to sleep. I have an early watch tomorrow.
The world is complicated, and always will be. Any schema that attempts to simplify it will always, consequently, be fundamentally inaccurate. What will the universe look like, united by the T'au?

Oh, and sleep well. We'll see you soon, hopefully.

So. The T'au. I should preface this by saying that I have no immediate access to primary sources, but I faced them in combat during their 'Second Sphere' expansion during my time as a - ugh I hate to use this term instead of the correct words but none will understand otherwise - a 'Warp Spider' (honestly), and later had a brief relationship with a lovely Water Caste diplomat named/ranked Por'ui Kor My'en (she found out that I'd been involved in the bombardment of one of the garden worlds we'd fought the T'au on during that time and was, rightfully, disgusted by my actions leading to the definitive end of that relationship; hoorah for war). So I do know something about them from primary sources.

Firstly, if you think the opening of the T'au codex is less defamatory than their treatment of your people, you are less used to word-games than I, cousin. Let us examine it again.
Bright burns the light of the T'au Empire. Relentless is its advance. They come first with words of friendship, promising enlightenment and strength through unity. Denied, they come again in a sudden storm of fire. Selfless and swift are their warriors. Mighty are their weapons of war. Yet it is their unwavering dedication to the T'au'va, the Greater Good, that is their deadliest weapon of all.
Yes, nothing says positive thoughts like saying they offer friendship then immediately attack. That doesn't make them sound like duplicitous liars at all. As we know from later in the Codex we know how their selflessness will be presented - as some horrifying curbing of all individuality (which isn't... entirely wrong, but still) which somewhat reframes that 'compliment'. And the same goes for the presentation of their devotion to the T'au'va.

It is presented more politely, you aren't wrong - the words aren't dripping with the contempt they have for the Drukhari, because the T'au aren't openly sexual, and nothing horrifies the Imperium more than blatant sexuality. But it is just as defamatory.

You then ask, reasonably enough, '...Why are the Imperium so respectful to the T'au in this book?', and...

Well, you are not entirely wrong to say they are both cut from similar cloths in some ways. I think a part of the Imperium sees a small young empire clawing desperately to expand and colonise with a system that is... somewhat disapproving of individuality, and it can't help but see it as something like itself. In fact, it is so desperate to see how it governs itself as the only valid form of governance, that it attempts to describe the T'au as more akin to the Imperium than they actually are, including as a threat - the T'au are potent fighters but they hold as many worlds as the Rak'ghol. Yet you will find no Rak'ghol codex, despite them being more stereotypically 'fearsome' xenos, acting as pirates and marauders - why? Because there is no threat of anyone in the Imperium defecting to become a Rak'ghol raider. There is considerable threat of a citizen of the Imperium peering past the sodden dregs of their awful life and seeing the clean, happy standard of living most Gue'vesa exist under and deciding that it is better.

So therefore, it is crucial for any piece of Imperial propaganda to insist they are both a galactic threat, and fundamentally the same as the Imperium at their core. That fundamentally, service to the Imperium and service to the T'au'va are, for all intents and purposes, identical. That they are just as oppressive and cruel behind closed doors. And again, this is not a comparison without a kernel of truth. But one cannot look at the squalid state of an Imperial hive city, a teeming mass of wretches forced to live among sewage while others dwell in opulent halls dining on whatever they desire, and compare it to a T'au city and claim that they are both the same, actually.

A brief aside to rant about the depiction of T'au myths in this 'codex'. What the actual fuck does this mean -
During their early days, ancestors of the T'au rapidly outpaced their moral growth with their practical and martial development.
As though humanity didn't have its own share of pointless and immoral wars in its history! As though every fucking species doesn't! As though there is some sort of proscribed path of morality, like a fucking - tree or road - ugh!

And of course they then imply the Ethereals were extraterrestrial in origin. Because of course, 'violent, tribal xenos' can't have resolved any historical conflicts themselves - without external influence, they'd be just like any other 'godless' xenos, of course! They can't have formed their civilisation themselves, or have come upon their morality naturally -

Ugh.

Which brings us to the T'au and their caste system. Which - in truth, cousin, I am perturbed by it too. It is... strange to me, to imagine living all one's life in a single role. The way Kor explained it to me though it is more akin to - so a crucial part of the T'au'va is a form of belief in predestination, I suppose. Everyone has one thing they are absolutely perfect for. It may not be immediately obvious what it is, but society should be shaped - people should be shaped - to help them realise what that thing is as soon as possible. She attempted to explain that it was akin to how certain Aspect Shrines call certain people extended to the whole of society which - I had problems with as an analogy, but isn't entirely unuseful I suppose, ignoring my own pedantry.

But of course in this codex it is presented as some rigid thing which smiling, brainwashed slaves do. Because that is how the Imperium sees the rigidly defined roles its citizens are born into. So of course, the T'au must be the same. There's not even a mention of how you take a new name upon taking a new role, because you are no longer the same person who was suited to your previous role, something that is flatly horrifying to me, but is a fascinating part of their culture.

And is the explanation for why they have records of assassinating Aun'Va yet he 'still' exists - it's a title, you scabrous, imbecilic fools! He didn't live for centuries, new Ethereals took the role and name! ARGH!

Last edited:
i just wanna say why do most eldar (regardless of exodite or dark) i meet doubt i am a lucifer black? just why? do i have to show proof you want a pict of the emperor on the throne as proof?

i just wanna say why do most eldar (regardless of exodite or dark) i meet doubt i am a lucifer black? just why? do i have to show proof you want a pict of the emperor on the throne as proof?
To round out the triptych, I, a craftworld aeldari, don't believe you. Because given the police state you dwell in, there's no way you could post here if you truly were a Lucifer Black. Also there's no way you'd be recruited without 'proving' your faith repeatedly. Also you aren't condemning us as treacherous xenos destined to burn in the Emperor's holy light, which makes it extremely unlikely that you have survived long enough in the heart of the Imperium without getting instantly shot for 'heresy'.

Well, I found this post extremely enlightening. Oh, and the Earth Caste member I have spoken to has corroborated much of what this Codex says, even if it often exaggerates or misreports the truth.
IC: Oh thank you.I originally joined after I read your bungling of sources regarding my employers (why in the hell beneath the Golden Throne did you use the Merican Akashic?They were completely insane before the Long Night with that cult of the anonymous Q nonsense and it certainly didn't do any favors afterwards regarding their sanity) but I liked your critiques of the Drukhari and Tau codexes immensely.I know alot about what hapens on Terra but outside Mars I have no idea what happens apart from occasional mutterings by my employers when I do check ups in their Black Carapaces and Imperial Propoganda(we usually play a game of bingo where we try and see which phrases appear the most.

May I just say, thank you for the level headed analysis of imperial propaganda about my home here. I myself had not considered several angles of this. With regards to the caste system, I will just say I have not had nearly as rigid an experience as Tau in the heart of the empire do. I live on a human majority colony world in the far frontier, and as such the local government has taken on many more human practices. The caste system is far less rigid here, and it is possible albeit somewhat difficult to change castes during your life. This can especially occur when losses occur or circumstances arise- when we lose a valuable earth caste engineer, we can't really afford to wait months for a new replacement to be shipped out here. Hell, I'm cross-trained in a lot of engineering skills. So if a T'au really wants to find a new path in life, there is a way for them to do so- apply for a transfer to the frontier worlds. It's not easy, but it's an option.
The world is complicated, and always will be. Any schema that attempts to simplify it will always, consequently, be fundamentally inaccurate. What will the universe look like, united by the T'au?

Oh, and sleep well. We'll see you soon, hopefully.
I do not know what a Tau galaxy would look like. However, I do know that no one in such a galaxy would have to go hungry or die of preventable diseases, and given what I've been through, that's something worth fighting for.

IC: Forgive my absence a former Brother found where I had been resting and decided to pay me a visit, It was not exactly a friendly reunion needless to say.

I have been reading the update in a medical the wing in aboard a strike destroyer belonging to a group of renegade Astartes. I'm mostly fine beyond wounded pride -and now missing hand but that's not really relevant-. On the T'au I must admit ignorance on them, so reading from those more familiar with their Empire as been an enlightening experience. I admit I have interest in the Greater Good on a more personal level. The idea of all contributing to a greater whole speaks to me in way much hasn't since my defection from the Imperium. Although the loss of individual seems wrong in way I can't articulate.

Perhaps the idea that the individual exists to contribute to the collective is hard for you to take in, given that as far as I know you escaped from an equally collectivist society? I am one who believes the individual must be worshipped for her own sake, and that no being is simply a means to an end.

So. The T'au. I should preface this by saying that I have no immediate access to primary sources, but I faced them in combat during their 'Second Sphere' expansion during my time as a - ugh I hate to use this term instead of the correct words but none will understand otherwise - a 'Warp Spider' (honestly), and later had a brief relationship with a lovely Water Caste diplomat named/ranked Por'ui Kor My'en (she found out that I'd been involved in the bombardment of one of the garden worlds we'd fought the T'au on during that time and was, rightfully, disgusted by my actions leading to the definitive end of that relationship; hoorah for war). So I do know something about them from primary sources.

Firstly, if you think the opening of the T'au codex is less defamatory than their treatment of your people, you are less used to word-games than I, cousin. Let us examine it again.

Yes, nothing says positive thoughts like saying they offer friendship then immediately attack. That doesn't make them sound like duplicitous liars at all. As we know from later in the Codex we know how their selflessness will be presented - as some horrifying curbing of all individuality (which isn't... entirely wrong, but still) which somewhat reframes that 'compliment'. And the same goes for the presentation of their devotion to the T'au'va.

It is presented more politely, you aren't wrong - the words aren't dripping with the contempt they have for the Drukhari, because the T'au aren't openly sexual, and nothing horrifies the Imperium more than blatant sexuality. But it is just as defamatory.

You then ask, reasonably enough, '...Why are the Imperium so respectful to the T'au in this book?', and...

Well, you are not entirely wrong to say they are both cut from similar cloths in some ways. I think a part of the Imperium sees a small young empire clawing desperately to expand and colonise with a system that is... somewhat disapproving of individuality, and it can't help but see it as something like itself. In fact, it is so desperate to see how it governs itself as the only valid form of governance, that it attempts to describe the T'au as more akin to the Imperium than they actually are, including as a threat - the T'au are potent fighters but they hold as many worlds as the Rak'ghol. Yet you will find no Rak'ghol codex, despite them being more stereotypically 'fearsome' xenos, acting as pirates and marauders - why? Because there is no threat of anyone in the Imperium defecting to become a Rak'ghol raider. There is considerable threat of a citizen of the Imperium peering past the sodden dregs of their awful life and seeing the clean, happy standard of living most Gue'vesa exist under and deciding that it is better.

So therefore, it is crucial for any piece of Imperial propaganda to insist they are both a galactic threat, and fundamentally the same as the Imperium at their core. That fundamentally, service to the Imperium and service to the T'au'va are, for all intents and purposes, identical. That they are just as oppressive and cruel behind closed doors. And again, this is not a comparison without a kernel of truth. But one cannot look at the squalid state of an Imperial hive city, a teeming mass of wretches forced to live among sewage while others dwell in opulent halls dining on whatever they desire, and compare it to a T'au city and claim that they are both the same, actually.

A brief aside to rant about the depiction of T'au myths in this 'codex'. What the actual fuck does this mean -

As though humanity didn't have its own share of pointless and immoral wars in its history! As though every fucking species doesn't! As though there is some sort of proscribed path of morality, like a fucking - tree or road - ugh!

And of course they then imply the Ethereals were extraterrestrial in origin. Because of course, 'violent, tribal xenos' can't have resolved any historical conflicts themselves - without external influence, they'd be just like any other 'godless' xenos, of course! They can't have formed their civilisation themselves, or have come upon their morality naturally -

Ugh.

Which brings us to the T'au and their caste system. Which - in truth, cousin, I am perturbed by it too. It is... strange to me, to imagine living all one's life in a single role. The way Kor explained it to me though it is more akin to - so a crucial part of the T'au'va is a form of belief in predestination, I suppose. Everyone has one thing they are absolutely perfect for. It may not be immediately obvious what it is, but society should be shaped - people should be shaped - to help them realise what that thing is as soon as possible. She attempted to explain that it was akin to how certain Aspect Shrines call certain people extended to the whole of society which - I had problems with as an analogy, but isn't entirely unuseful I suppose, ignoring my own pedantry.

But of course in this codex it is presented as some rigid thing which smiling, brainwashed slaves do. Because that is how the Imperium sees the rigidly defined roles its citizens are born into. So of course, the T'au must be the same. There's not even a mention of how you take a new name upon taking a new role, because you are no longer the same person who was suited to your previous role, something that is flatly horrifying to me, but is a fascinating part of their culture.

And is the explanation for why they have records of assassinating Aun'Va yet he 'still' exists - it's a title, you scabrous, imbecilic fools! He didn't live for centuries, new Ethereals took the role and name! ARGH!

Greetings, cousin. You are right, I am less knowledgeable about word games. I'm a gladiatrix, not a Kabalite or noble. My family were quite wealthy, old money, but I was always the black sheep and I always had a less formal view of the world than most. I suppose I was so shocked by the contempt show in the Drukhari Codex that the propaganda in the T'au one simply went over my head.

Truthfully, the T'au are a society where I understand why many would be quite happy living under them, but they're a society that seems so foreign to my own values that it's a bit hard to grasp onto. Oh, and I just took the "assassination" as an obvious lie. I figured that Aun'Va, whoever he is, is still around. It all just seemed so contrived, this idea that he's secretly some osrt of hologram.

On Imperial hive cities, I tend to find them almost familiar from what I've heard. I've visited a few of the scant frontier ones where a Dark Eldar might be able to mingle, and they feel almost like home.

IC: Oh thank you.I originally joined after I read your bungling of sources regarding my employers (why in the hell beneath the Golden Throne did you use the Merican Akashic?They were completely insane before the Long Night with that cult of the anonymous Q nonsense and it certainly didn't do any favors afterwards regarding their sanity) but I liked your critiques of the Drukhari and Tau codexes immensely.I know alot about what hapens on Terra but outside Mars I have no idea what happens apart from occasional mutterings by my employers when I do check ups in their Black Carapaces and Imperial Propoganda(we usually play a game of bingo where we try and see which phrases appear the most.

...Am I simply the "Bad Custodes Reviewer", now? Is that what I, a Succubus and Wych, have been reduced to? If you must know, I used the Merican Akashic because Sister Vandire recommended it as a source. I am now beginning to suspect that it was some sort of prank. The more I read it, the less sense it makes. It speaks of "The Blessed Second Return of Jay Effkay", as well as "The Libertaryan-Masonic conspiracy" and "The Decietful Savior birthed from Cult of the Azure Beam". There is also something about "You-Effos" and "Tachyon Don".

I need to cross-reference this with other sources.

Oh dear. Vandire, what the heck?! Not funny!

May I just say, thank you for the level headed analysis of imperial propaganda about my home here. I myself had not considered several angles of this. With regards to the caste system, I will just say I have not had nearly as rigid an experience as Tau in the heart of the empire do. I live on a human majority colony world in the far frontier, and as such the local government has taken on many more human practices. The caste system is far less rigid here, and it is possible albeit somewhat difficult to change castes during your life. This can especially occur when losses occur or circumstances arise- when we lose a valuable earth caste engineer, we can't really afford to wait months for a new replacement to be shipped out here. Hell, I'm cross-trained in a lot of engineering skills. So if a T'au really wants to find a new path in life, there is a way for them to do so- apply for a transfer to the frontier worlds. It's not easy, but it's an option.

I do not know what a Tau galaxy would look like. However, I do know that no one in such a galaxy would have to go hungry or die of preventable diseases, and given what I've been through, that's something worth fighting for.

Yes, the Gue'vesa is certainly very insightful. I do suspect your experience may be closer to the exception rather than the rule, but regardless both perspectives are necessary and helpful. How does one change castes when the different casts are biologically-based? Is it based on identity, or do the biological categories not overlap perfectly with the castes? Is there an element similar to gender identity involved in caste identity, or is it more pragmatic and simply someone with an imperfect physiology taking on a new job? Are any biomods used?

...Am I simply the "Bad Custodes Reviewer", now? Is that what I, a Succubus and Wych, have been reduced to? If you must know, I used the Merican Akashic because Sister Vandire recommended it as a source. I am now beginning to suspect that it was some sort of prank. The more I read it, the less sense it makes. It speaks of "The Blessed Second Return of Jay Effkay", as well as "The Libertaryan-Masonic conspiracy" and "The Decietful Savior birthed from Cult of the Azure Beam". There is also something about "You-Effos" and "Tachyon Don".
Of course not you are a gladiatrix of high standing with insightful views on many things and a individual like many other people.After all just because you made the mistake of using the Akashic doesn't make you a soley that.(trust me there is stupider shit I have seen from tourist-pilgrims who think that touching Terran soil will bring them eternal youth like the Emperor.It just gives you industrial polltants,trace bioweapon remnants and a large amount of rad poisoning)

Perhaps the idea that the individual exists to contribute to the collective is hard for you to take in, given that as far as I know you escaped from an equally collectivist society? I am one who believes the individual must be worshipped for her own sake, and that no being is simply a means to an end.

Greetings, cousin. You are right, I am less knowledgeable about word games. I'm a gladiatrix, not a Kabalite or noble. My family were quite wealthy, old money, but I was always the black sheep and I always had a less formal view of the world than most. I suppose I was so shocked by the contempt show in the Drukhari Codex that the propaganda in the T'au one simply went over my head.

Truthfully, the T'au are a society where I understand why many would be quite happy living under them, but they're a society that seems so foreign to my own values that it's a bit hard to grasp onto. Oh, and I just took the "assassination" as an obvious lie. I figured that Aun'Va, whoever he is, is still around. It all just seemed so contrived, this idea that he's secretly some osrt of hologram.

On Imperial hive cities, I tend to find them almost familiar from what I've heard. I've visited a few of the scant frontier ones where a Dark Eldar might be able to mingle, and they feel almost like home.

I need to cross-reference this with other sources.

Oh dear. Vandire, what the heck?! Not funny!

Yes, the Gue'vesa is certainly very insightful. I do suspect your experience may be closer to the exception rather than the rule, but regardless both perspectives are necessary and helpful. How does one change castes when the different casts are biologically-based? Is it based on identity, or do the biological categories not overlap perfectly with the castes? Is there an element similar to gender identity involved in caste identity, or is it more pragmatic and simply someone with an imperfect physiology taking on a new job? Are any biomods used?
OOC: I love that we've settled on "the custodes mixup was because of a prank recommendation of a book written by QAnon nuts". It's incredibly funny.

IC: To be honest, my experience with biology and how T'au themselves change castes is somewhat limited, due to again this being a human-majority world. For most of the caste-changing T'au I have met, it is viewed as a relatively pragmatic thing. In a number of cases, the caste changes are not viewed as necessarily permanent- the individual will have an option to remain in the new caste or return to the old one once the period of need for them to "fill in" has passed. I have mostly seen fire caste and earth caste T'au change castes - the Water Caste has some shifts but not as much, and I don't think I've ever seen an Air Caste change caste. Which would make some sense upon reflection, given your mention of the biological concerns. The Air Caste, having evolved for low-gravity, are almost a separate subrace of the T'au in the way Ogryns or Ratlings are to humankind.

IC: To be honest, my experience with biology and how T'au themselves change castes is somewhat limited, due to again this being a human-majority world. For most of the caste-changing T'au I have met, it is viewed as a relatively pragmatic thing. In a number of cases, the caste changes are not viewed as necessarily permanent- the individual will have an option to remain in the new caste or return to the old one once the period of need for them to "fill in" has passed. I have mostly seen fire caste and earth caste T'au change castes - the Water Caste has some shifts but not as much, and I don't think I've ever seen an Air Caste change caste. Which would make some sense upon reflection, given your mention of the biological concerns. The Air Caste, having evolved for low-gravity, are almost a separate subrace of the T'au in the way Ogryns or Ratlings are to humankind.
Could it be possible to gene-modify the Air Caste?I mean a combination of some exxercisepgysical therapy and a few gene mods could get them to something akin to a 'normal' Tau or maybe something even better.

Could it be possible to gene-modify the Air Caste?I mean a combination of some exxercisepgysical therapy and a few gene mods could get them to something akin to a 'normal' Tau or maybe something even better.
Perhaps, but that is an issue far beyond my level of knowledge. I'm a Crisis Suit Pilot, and most of my cross-caste training is with Earth Caste mechanical engineering.

OOC, there is no I

I think that would come dangerously close to requiring a Tau to lift, something that I remain convinced their entire civilization is ideologically opposed to.

There must be some shockingly poorly maintained bits of Commoragh.

Last edited:
OOC: I love that we've settled on "the custodes mixup was because of a prank recommendation of a book written by QAnon nuts". It's incredibly funny.

OOC: Technically it's a far-future evolution of QAnon nuts, but pretty much. The Merican Akashic is a very bad source, and Sister Vandire has a sense of humor.

IC: I suppose that makes sense enough. It's remarkable how Imperial stereotypes don't seem to cover much of anything. Imagine if they were true, and I was some fanatical torture-monster where you were a mindless traitor brainwashed by some caste of mustache-twirling villains.

It is truly sad that the Imperium is so used to its own cruelty that the only way it knows to justify itself is to imagine that every other nation is exactly as evil.

Sister Vandire:
I still think we exaggerate the Imperium's evil here.

Well, there are, like any other large and storied city. Where might you be from, and what flag do you hail?
Under the Palace there's a a bunch of holes and tunnels and buried palaces ranging from ones built in the Imperial times(around 5% If I include the Saturnine Astartes Rockcrete Trap but without it's around 2%) that have been made by so many groups in different ages that no one knows where all of them are.To make matters worse daemons just randomly apppear and sometimes you'll just randomly teleport into a completely different area.

OOC: Are there any Space Marine chapters that every 40K fan hates? I want to make one of them the Imperium's "Dirlewanger Brigade", but I also don't want to shit on anyone's favorites. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of the "obvious" evil ones, in fact one the Codex would probably praise and whitewash would work better. I'm thinking the Grey Knights, since they have their own Codex, would that work or would that feel kind of mean to the (presumably enormous) Grey Knight fandom?

OOC: Are there any Space Marine chapters that every 40K fan hates? I want to make one of them the Imperium's "Dirlewanger Brigade", but I also don't want to shit on anyone's favorites. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of the "obvious" evil ones, in fact one the Codex would probably praise and whitewash would work better. I'm thinking the Grey Knights, since they have their own Codex, would that work or would that feel kind of mean to the (presumably enormous) Grey Knight fandom?
OOC: I think the Grey Knights would work for that yeah. But it's your choice.

OOC:I would suggest the Marines Malevolent since canonically they managed to piss of BOTH the Salamanders and the Black Templars.There's also the minotaurs but they aren't super assholish compared to others but their main line of work is beating up space marine chapters that do stupid shit(2 chapters decided to go into a all out war in the middle of a Crusade and the minotaurs beat both of them up and stole their shit) which mean that they beat up the Lamenters, they also are loyal to the High Lords and there's a theory that their chapter master Asterion Moloch is either a Custodes or when he dies they get a random space marine and essentially download Moloch.EXE into their mind.I have ideas for the Grey Knights but that's a different post I need to make later.

Back